Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's hardly being a purist. A streetfighter is a type of custom bike, ergo, you can't buy a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

where in that sentence did I mention making it longer or lazier?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

...Stripped with handlebars, and then fitted with lazier steering...

Really?

It's not a custom bike anymore. It used to be, now it's been marketed and produced and is a style of bike. Supermotos used to be garage projects, now we buy them. Cafe racers used to be a mod, now its retail. Things end up in production.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's hardly being a purist. A streetfighter is a type of custom bike, ergo, you can't buy a new one.

As noted by Spiffness, the terms get co-opted. Choppers and Bobbers were once custom made by GI's with old cheap Harleys. Now they're factory styles, for better or worse. If you asked a guy who rode a factory chopper what the difference between his bike and a normal Harley was, he would have no idea.

I can see the direction you're coming from, but when people call you a purist it's because you're taking the initial definition, leaving no room for time and society to alter it (which happens with ALL words/classifications) and just saying it is what it is from the point from when you've decided it should be frozen.

I'm making no judgment; I can see how it goes either way. If people stuck to regimented definitions, maybe normal people would know what a "Standard" is. But at the same time, social groups slowly change, and if we stick our flag in the sand and say "THIS IS IT," there's a good opportunity lost as time goes by and things evolve.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The speed triple was based off of the T509 daytona, t595 daytona, and then the 1050 daytona. The street triple is obviously based off of the 675.

For my 2c, any sportbike platform that's been modded with bars to make it a standard, either by the factory or by the owner, is a street fighter. It's silly to call my modded t595 a streetfighter while saying the speed triple I pulled parts from for the conversion isn't one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I can see the direction you're coming from, but when people call you a purist it's because you're taking the initial definition, leaving no room for time and society to alter it (which happens with ALL words/classifications) and just saying it is what it is from the point from when you've decided it should be frozen.
This is bang on, and I really didn't mean to offend you in any way.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'll make it simple. Not the same spec as the bike it's based on, not a streetfighter. Which is why the Speed and Street triples aren't streetfighters as they've always run lower-spec internals than the Daytona, especially when:

Z3n posted:

The speed triple was based off of the T509 daytona, t595 daytona, and then the [b]1050 daytona[/b[. The street triple is obviously based off of the 675.

Doesn't exist.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
I used to have a Ninja 250 and I loved the seating position, but now I'm looking for a better bike and I want something similar. Laying on top of a gas tank doesn't sound very comfortable for long rides, and I'll probably be making two-hour trips every month or so.

I'm looking into the ZZR600 and it looks similar, maybe a bit higher. And I'm concerned it's too much power for my second bike, although I've been riding for two years without problems so maybe it's not a big deal.

I guess the best way to find out is to try a bunch of bikes, but I'd like some general guidance towards specific models before I start looking for some to try. Any recommendations?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The older 600s (up until say 2002) are more road-orientated and tend to be a bit more torquey. Stuff like the CBR600F4 and ZX-6R G and J models would be good choices for a post-250 upgrade. If you're in the US I think Kawasaki still sell the 2001 J-model ZX-6R new.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'll make it simple. Not the same spec as the bike it's based on, not a streetfighter. Which is why the Speed and Street triples aren't streetfighters as they've always run lower-spec internals than the Daytona, especially when:

Doesn't exist.

So the street triple r is a street fighter but not the street triple?

And the difference between the s3 and the daytona t595 was in the cams...the s3 ones had more midrange which would have been better, honestly. The bike was kind of a pig.

I was thinking of the 1050 sprint, not the daytona. Forgot they changed the name.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'll make it simple. Not the same spec as the bike it's based on, not a streetfighter.

So if you upgrade the brakes on a street fightered CBR, does that make it a standard?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'll make it simple. Not the same spec as the bike it's based on, not a streetfighter.

You can believe whatever you want so long as you know you're wrong.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

blugu64 posted:

You can believe whatever you want so long as you know you're wrong.

Ah right, I'm wrong. Of course.

schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?
Hi guys, little help needed for my first bike.

I'm currently looking at a 2000 Suzuki GSF600S Bandit. 28000 km, owner (it's a she) says the bike is in good condition, no repair/maintenance coming up except the front tire and she's having the yearly inspection done today (which only says the bike is safe to operate for another year, nothing more).

I would just use the bike for a very short commute and some weekend riding, neither planning for a lot of mileage or long trips. I'll probably take a look at the bike tomorrow, is there anything I should be watching out for? I don't want any hassle with maintenance and stuff, so I would really prefer an EFI bike but they're out of my price range by a few hundred €. I don't wanna gently caress around with a wrench either, I hear Suzukis aren't very expensive to maintain usually?

I'm about 6'2" and 195 lbs, no problem there right?

Sorry for the unspecific questions, but I'm a motorcycle noob and just really want someone to tell me I'll be okay :ohdear:

PS: Also looking at a Yamaha TDM 850, any opinions on those, especially compared to the Bandit as a first bike?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

schlaufux posted:

I don't want any hassle with maintenance and stuff, so I would really prefer an EFI bike but they're out of my price range by a few hundred €. I don't wanna gently caress around with a wrench either, I hear Suzukis aren't very expensive to maintain usually?

It's a Bandit, you can't kill them with an axe.

schlaufux posted:

I'm about 6'2" and 195 lbs, no problem there right?

No, they're decent sized bikes. However, what riding experience have you got? Maybe as a first bike consider looking at a Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki ER-5 instead if you're a total noob. The 600 Bandits don't exactly set the world on fire performance-wise, but still, consider grabbing the GS or ER, crash and bash around on it for a while, then grab something else after you've racked up a few km's. Or alternatively, look into a 33bhp restrictor kit from the UK. Bandits are pretty popular there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think I want a BMW K1200R... I think so... I don't know. I've never ridden one, but the ergos are so comfortable from just sitting on one.

Also in the "do I want?" category: Yamaha MT-01, range and mileage being the biggest issue there.

And in the "I should probably get instead" category, Aprilia Shiver GT and new body Yamaha TMax (if they weren't so bloody expensive).

But I think I want a K1200R.

advice?

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

I just finished a motorcycle safety course and received my license so I'm looking for some advice on a beater bike to pick up for city driving and a few weekend trips. I really like the looks of the 70s - early 80s Honda/Suzuki/etc (can't stand the really sporty looking bikes) and a friend recommended I pick up a Honda CB750 in that age range. I know price depends on where you are buying it, but is there an average price for these bikes? Is there a better choice from those types of bikes that is better suited to someone new and more likely to bang it around?

I'm not even going to be able to think about buying anything until the winter due to finances but I figured finding out as much as I can beforehand can't help.

I found this bike http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mcy/1847715688.html and if you took the guy at face value on what he specifically lists as needing work, how much do you think I'd have to put into that bike to get it up to speed? Obviously "needs work" is nebulous enough to include anything but I'm just trying to get a feel for how much / how hard it is to work on these bikes.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

fartzilla posted:

I used to have a Ninja 250 and I loved the seating position, but now I'm looking for a better bike and I want something similar. Laying on top of a gas tank doesn't sound very comfortable for long rides, and I'll probably be making two-hour trips every month or so.

I'm looking into the ZZR600 and it looks similar, maybe a bit higher. And I'm concerned it's too much power for my second bike, although I've been riding for two years without problems so maybe it's not a big deal.

I guess the best way to find out is to try a bunch of bikes, but I'd like some general guidance towards specific models before I start looking for some to try. Any recommendations?

The wife just bought an ER-6n, riding style is pretty close to the 250. It's a bit taller and still got some balls. The engine is the same as the Ninja 650.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
Thanks for the advice. I searched around on Craigslist and there's really not much of what anyone's recommending where I live, and what there is goes out of my budget a little. I was curious about the ZZR600 because I found this. Assuming it's in as good condition as the guy is saying, is that a good price? Since he's not too enthusiastic about bargaining I don't want to waste his or my time if he's not going to budge on something unreasonable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

fartzilla posted:

Thanks for the advice. I searched around on Craigslist and there's really not much of what anyone's recommending where I live, and what there is goes out of my budget a little. I was curious about the ZZR600 because I found this. Assuming it's in as good condition as the guy is saying, is that a good price? Since he's not too enthusiastic about bargaining I don't want to waste his or my time if he's not going to budge on something unreasonable.

Nah, I'd say closer to 3k is more reasonable. The ZZR600 from 05 is a downgraded 2001 ZX6R, so it's not exactly a desirable bike. And judging from his "SUMMER IS HERE!" spiel, he's had the bike listend for a while. Low KBB is 2400$, high is 3600$, so i'd say 3k is a reasonable price if that's the bike you're looking for. I prefer the 93-04 ZZR600/ZX6Es, personally, more upright seating position and just a good all around bike.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

shaitan posted:

The wife just bought an ER-6n, riding style is pretty close to the 250. It's a bit taller and still got some balls. The engine is the same as the Ninja 650.

I had a Ninja 650r as my second bike after a year on a Ninja 250 and it was the perfect next bike for me. Still comfortable and easy to ride, but real power to go with it

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

needknees posted:

I've had many long drawn out conversations (sprinkled with "so when are you going to get a trackbike? :v: ) about literbikes with a variety of people. I bought a 08 CBR1000 last fall and I absolutely love the loving thing. If I had to do it all over again I would have NEVER bought it.

Honestly they're just too, too much. Everywhere. In most any situation, street or track.

That's basically how I felt about my '954. It was pretty useless on the road - in the USA - because you used about 5mm of throttle opening and then had to stop for fear of The Babylon. Actually only good on the track because it let you "cheat" and gave you a choice of 3 equally good gears in any corner, but you paid for that by having to keep feeding it Dragon Corsas in order to keep the wheels in line. Rear wheel steering may sound cool, but not when you literally can't get out of corners because the back tyre's melting and yawing into every corner. And of course it was easy to override it and wind up outbraking yourself.

98% of my riding is commuting, albeit at warp speed on back roads, so the most powerful thing I'm likely to buy from hereon is a 990 superduke. Something that lets me maximise my peg-down and front wheel in the air time without being expensive to run and a PITA in the wet and cold.

I guess it depends what you do with the bike though. I suppose if you just want a track bike, a "hypersports" bike is versatile and flattering to the rider.

e:

schlaufux posted:

TDM850

TDM mark 1 or mark 2? Are you in the US, UK or elsewhere?

The engines are generally solid, but like all 5 valve yams, you need to watch valve clearances. The second generation 850s had a set of Mikunis which ovalised their emulsion tubes/needle jets, resulting in overfuelling and starting problems - that basically just means a periodic carb rebuild however. The only major problem with the 270o crank bikes, and probably with the mk1 bikes as well, is that with some exceptions, they tend to drink oil furiously. Owners of bikes that don't drink oil of course praise their own excellent break-in technique, but it's more likely to be luck of the draw IMO. But the result is that a lot have been killed by "user error" - someone buys one used, checks the oil when they get it home and rides it 2,000 miles. This turns out to be 1,000 with very little oil in it, and clunk, there goes a bearing. You have to be careful buying used.

You can't do much to them performance wise that's worth the bother. The 850 is a dry sump design developed from the XTZ750 mill. There is hardly any overbore available (878 is it), and the oil system can't handle more revs. When the TRX and TDM mk 2 came out, a few shops tried bigger bores or running them at 10,000 rpm, and the engines lasted about 10 minutes. Well, 100, but you get the idea. With a pair of Keihin flatslides, a full system and careful tuning, you can hit ~90hp, but even that's tough.

That said, it's a good road engine. With the stock end cans (and collector, on the TDM) taken off and rejetted, you end up with ~79hp, and huge thrust in second gear and a great noise, plus 45-55mpg.

I personally rate the TRX (available in the UK and Europe, not in the US) much higher. The TDM was heavier, with a much more restrictive exhaust system and no obvious practical advantage, unless you really wanted a frame with "deltabox" on the side. They were supposed to be to the 90s what the Triumph Tiger and the Multistrada now claim to be, but the riding experience to me was just tall, fat and lazy. Also, underbraked as standard, with crappy FZR-spec Sumitomo 4 pots that seize up at the first hint of dirt or salt. The TRX is basically a replica 2v 900SS-CR which replicates the Ducati down to chassis behaviour and (on JDM bikes) Brembo 4 pots, only with functioning electrics and reliability.

Saga fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 19, 2010

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

mrwrong posted:

I found this bike http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mcy/1847715688.html and if you took the guy at face value on what he specifically lists as needing work, how much do you think I'd have to put into that bike to get it up to speed? Obviously "needs work" is nebulous enough to include anything but I'm just trying to get a feel for how much / how hard it is to work on these bikes.

I bought a 1979 CB750 from a dude in southern RI for $600. He had been asking $1000. He said the carbs needed cleaning.

I've replaced:

The headlight bucket/light
The fusebox (with an inline splice)
The front forks, brakes, master cylinder
The carbs
The left hand signal switch
the shocks
both tires
gas tank had to be de-rustified (they did a poo poo job with this)
the 630 chain

...and numerous other things, but this was just to get it in safe, road worthy condition. I'm not including the time spent on all this, including a valve job, donated by yours truly. I'm in for a low-ball $2k on this bike, and I can sell it for maybe $800.

Now, this is an SOHC bike, so there's a bit less to worry about (valves are much easier to do, for example), but look this over with a fine-toothed comb. If it's warm when he shows it to you, assume it won't idle and the carbs need cleaning. Check the gas tank. Check the forks aren't leaking. Check that it stops and goes exactly as you want it to.

At this price, you can do a few repairs (and it is a pretty bike!), but try to be skeptical.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Shlomo Palestein posted:

At this price, you can do a few repairs (and it is a pretty bike!), but try to be skeptical.

Awesome, thanks a bunch for the tips.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I've been thinking about a cruiser, and the Gilroy Indian bikes seem like an interesting American alternative to Harley.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-Indian-Spirit-Motorcycle-/270609679694?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3f0198054e

The guy selling this one says that he laid it down in a ditch, hence the new front fender. Looks alright though, any thoughts?

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Pvt. Public posted:

Can anyone give me some opinions on riding a DL650 vs a DL1000GT? I can't get a Wee for a rental in the UK as they're all out, but I can get a 1k. However, there isn't one around here I can go look at in person. I've not ridden the Wee, but of all the bikes I can get (and afford), I've sat on the Wee and like it best. Thanks.

There's a reason that the DL650 can't be found, but you can easily find a DL1000. The general consensus is that the DL650 is a better bike in almost all aspects then the DL1000. (Full disclosure, I ride a DL650 every day, but have never ridden the DL1000)

The DL1000 is heavier and the weight is placed in such a way that it has a noticeably detrimental effect on handling, so I'm told. And there's some issues with the engine stumbling/hesitating right around 4,000rpm that Suzuki still hasn't admitted to, and many owners have had to turn to aftermarket engine computers to fix. The DL1000 does have better front suspension, but there's some relatively inexpensive mods for the DL650 that bring it up to par (Racetech Emulators, and Rioch Intiminators, depending on your riding style)

The DL650 is lighter, nimbler, gets better mileage, and is still faster then 95% of all cars on the road.

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'
The time has come for me to break my CA lurking silence. I have been thinking about getting a motorcycle for quite some time now and I've come across a bike that really tickles my interest.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/1849913881.html:swoon:

Goons, any words of wisdom about 70's Hondas or old Jap bikes in general (what to look for, what to stay away from?) That's primarily what I've been looking at.
And if it helps, I've never ridden a motorcycle but I plan on taking the MSF in April 2011 and getting my M certification. I just want to get an older Japanese bike in the 350-550cc range to learn on and grow into for a couple years before I get a bigger/nicer bike. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Everything you've said is actually great, and an older UJM is perfect to start on. That said, don't buy until you've taken the MSF, or at least are signed up and close.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
The DR600 was junk but I'm looking at a '93 DR650 tomorrow for $1500, which apparently only has about 6000 KM on it. I'm 99% sure I'll buy it if there's nothing seriously wrong. If I do, then Alaska, here I come!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't want to say that I'm bored of my ex250, but I am. Sorry. I'm going to sell it, and I'm looking at getting something like a new BMW GS, Aprilla MANA 850 GT, or possibly a KTM. I haven't really decided on brand and I'm only planting the seeds of this idea. Enduro style preferably or possibly Supermoto. I plan on doing a lot of long range traveling with this bike and possibly a bit of off-road at times. I'd like to drive it across the country and back, and also from California to Alaska at some point as well.

Also, I'll be buying it new probably. I don't like used stuff... I can't love sloppy seconds. Suggest me bikes.

I mostly have a boner for the new BMW F800 GS... God, what a sexy bike.

soy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 21, 2010

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
I seem to be inexorably sliding towards the ZZR600. And the ads I find are still too expensive :(

This one's a 2006 ZZR with 14000 miles, new rear tire, and newish front. I wrote the guy about it and this is what he said:

quote:

Single owner before me, or so they told me. I am a weekend rider. The bike apparently suffered a low speed drop by the prior owner, which scratched the left side. It rides perfectly, and the light cosmetic damage is the reason I am selling it for less than the full used value. I had the oil changed and chain serviced regularly by shops, and the 15k comprehensive service was done about 1k miles ago (cost me about $650). As far as I know, it needs nothing and is ready to ride. Regular oil change and chain service, of course.

$3000. Assuming it's actually only scratches and nothing more serious, I want to offer less than that. Is there any hope I can get this to something more reasonable or am I just going to lowball the hell out of him? I think he really wants to sell it so maybe I have a lot of wiggle room, I dunno.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

soy posted:

I don't want to say that I'm bored of my ex250, but I am. Sorry. I'm going to sell it, and I'm looking at getting something like a new BMW GS, Aprilla MANA 850 GT, or possibly a KTM. I haven't really decided on brand and I'm only planting the seeds of this idea. Enduro style preferably or possibly Supermoto. I plan on doing a lot of long range traveling with this bike and possibly a bit of off-road at times. I'd like to drive it across the country and back, and also from California to Alaska at some point as well.

Also, I'll be buying it new probably. I don't like used stuff... I can't love sloppy seconds. Suggest me bikes.

V-Strom? Slightly more on-road oriented and cheaper then the euro options

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

DRZ400SM. Buy a used one with all the mods already done, the engine's bulletproof. Once you ride it you won't care about sloppy seconds. Regear to 15/41, slap a big bore kit on it if you want more power, and off you go. It'll handle anything you can throw at it, and 15k valve checks :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

soy posted:

I've heard one rather manic and incredibly positive review from a Mana owner. It's a very nice package and the guy swears he'd be faster across a city than anything else on two wheels because of the auto trans. Maybe check out a Shiver GT too if the auto isn't to your liking. Aprilias are incredibly well equipped for the money. Fully comprehensive digital gauges (clock, chrono, dual trip, voltage, fuel warning mileage count, easy switch between miles and km if you have the service code, bunch of diagnostic stuff... more things I'm probably forgetting), and they don't charge extra for it, all their bikes get it. The GT's come with things like 12v power points, storage cubbies, etc as standard equipment.
It's a shame they never sold the new style Pegaso in the US, it's a great bike. If you're thinking maybe sumo, maybe look at a Dosoduro, but personally I couldn't live with a sumo seat for everyday riding and commuting.

tastyburrito
Sep 15, 2004
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1851352007.html

Just took the MSF last weekend, and have been looking at a few local ex250/500s to start out on. Checked out a few 5-10 year old ex250s with around 10,000 miles, all for ~$2000. I definitely still need to do some more research, but this bike (95 ex250 with 25000 miles) just popped up and its $1500 asking price is definitely more in my price range. Should I jump on this, or consider a slightly more expensive newer bike that would likely need less work?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's not a bad choice. That looks like a 500 to me though...I'd definitely go check it out, and perhaps lowball him at like 1200-1300 just for the sake of it.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
I read more about the 650r and I guess it really is more what I'm looking for. So I found this...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/1851899760.html

I spoke with the guy extensively about the drop and the details surrounding it don't bother me. I'm going to take a look at it this weekend. It's in my price range and it's actually about the average these bikes sell for, but again I'm wondering how much value the fact it's been dropped takes out of the value. Any opinions?

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006
I just bought this 2007 R1 with 5000 miles for $2500. Its got some damage from a low speed crash, but its easily repairable.

On a side note, my 2002 SV650 is for sale for $1800 in the SF Bay Area if anyone is interested.

schlaufux
Apr 28, 2007
just no stupid newbie k?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's a Bandit, you can't kill them with an axe.

No, they're decent sized bikes. However, what riding experience have you got? Maybe as a first bike consider looking at a Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki ER-5 instead if you're a total noob. The 600 Bandits don't exactly set the world on fire performance-wise, but still, consider grabbing the GS or ER, crash and bash around on it for a while, then grab something else after you've racked up a few km's. Or alternatively, look into a 33bhp restrictor kit from the UK. Bandits are pretty popular there.

thanks for the reply

i looked around for the bikes you mentioned and the market here is literally non-existant between 125ccm scooters and 600ccm standards, so i basically had no choice but to buy the bandit :xd: totally in love with it. looks not older than a year and it's soo easy to ride and so much fun. can't wait till i get off work today :)

i haven't gone higher than like 8k rpm yet and it feels crazy fast to me, so i'm gonna take it easy for a while i guess

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

tastyburrito posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1851352007.html

Just took the MSF last weekend, and have been looking at a few local ex250/500s to start out on. Checked out a few 5-10 year old ex250s with around 10,000 miles, all for ~$2000. I definitely still need to do some more research, but this bike (95 ex250 with 25000 miles) just popped up and its $1500 asking price is definitely more in my price range. Should I jump on this, or consider a slightly more expensive newer bike that would likely need less work?

Where abouts in the bay area are you?

I'd say thats a pretty good deal on a Ninja 500, it's in my home town :) PM me or something maybe I can take a look at it with you. Also the ninja 500 from 94-2009 are all pretty much the same. I've seen some on CL with 65,000 miles on them so the engines are certainly sturdy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Here are a few bikes:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/1841773302.html
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/1811861099.html
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/1805023982.html
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/1803534662.html
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/1803496295.html
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/1784114029.html

Are any of these an okay deal, and good for someone new to off-road? I know poo poo about that type of bike. I've been riding cruisers for about 5 years now, and a couple friends and I want to get some dirt bikes to gently caress around on. I don't want to spend a ton and then be afraid to hurt the bike, but I don't want a piece of crap, either. I'm hoping to be able to spend between $500 and $1000.

My main concerns are getting something that will last me for a little while capability-wise, but also I don't want to die from too much bike.