Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

ah yes, sorcerer kings maintain all these armies and so on because they are afraid they'll forget to cast protection from normal weapons some day, compelling

so your response to me saying that the rules are inconsistent with the setting is to say "you don't understand, the rules are inconsistent with the setting"

protection from normal weapons doesn't help when your enemies army has primarily +1 bone axes, not does it help when they include a bunch of monsterous humanoids of 4 hit dice or more.

They do need armies to protect their cities, and most of them need their cities to advance in any way, shape, or form. They also need something to protect them, because in 2nd ed. a small group of dedicated individuals, even way under level vs the wizard can gently caress a solo wizard up. All it takes is a +1 magic bonus to hurt the bastard, and your templars/elemental clerics/defilers could all cast magic weapon to give even a lovely sharpened piece of bone a magic bonus for a while. Most of Darksun in 2e had wild talents as well, meaning that just about anyone off the street might have a power cabable of doing some damage. You put 2-3 thousand people off the street together and you have a threat. The wastes themselves are teeming with deranged monsters and intelligent monstrous humanoids that don't need a magic bonus on their natural weapons to get past your simple spell, and they move in very large pacts. I'll give you that 2e's balance was absolute garbage, I don't think anyone is at all about to argue that, but the whole "20th level wizards didn't need to worry about armies of mooks because wizard" isn't anywhere near valid given the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kobold posted:

Your title is very appropriate.

I can't tell, when looking at that with no context, whether it means "the classes that are divine right now are going to get changed" or "the classes that are divine right now don't exist in any form." Power sources really aren't anything other than a flavor thing, so it wouldn't affect much.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Laex posted:

Templar is a theme too my first reaction was it looked a bit weird having PCs being underlings of the big bad guys in the setting, but then I remembered warlocks making pacts with demons or alien beings from the void between worlds.

I had forgotten about this. I'm glad they did this because old Dark Sun pretty much ignored the idea of secular templar so the best you could hope for was a dual or multiclass templar. Now it's a lot smoother because being a templar means you are just one of the sorcerer king's enforcers and not necessarily completely tied to his or her well being for your powers.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 19, 2010

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ManMythLegend posted:

I had forgotten about this. I'm glad they did this because old Dark Sun pretty much ignored the idea of secular templar so the best you could hope for was a dual or multiclass templar. No it's a lot smoother because being a templar means you are just one of the sorcerer king's enforcers and not necessarily completely tied to his or her well being for your powers.

It really didn't mesh well with the fluff, either. There was a ton of crap about templars who were really defilers or psionicists or something else entirely. In Gulg, most of the "templars" were really rangers.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

There'll still be elemental clerics though, right? :saddowns:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

They are called Shamans. They appear in PHB2. From reports, they are awesome.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Well I think in theory anyone can be an Elemental Priest, since it's a theme but Shamans are like the most appropriate. I guess other Primal classes could work as a more militant form of it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Oh cool! I wasn't aware that was one of the themes. One of my players is going to be stoked.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Known themes, unless I'm forgetting any:
  • gladiator (defender, martial)
  • elemental priest (leader?, primal)
  • veiled alliance (controller?, arcane)
  • wilder (striker, psionic)
  • templar (controller? leader?, arcane)
  • noble adept (leader, psionic)
  • wasteland nomad (striker, martial?)

Laex
Sep 24, 2007
also Ex-Slave or Escaped Slave.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ah, yeah. Though, I recall that one to be published through DDI instead of in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 19, 2010

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Attilla posted:

Well I think in theory anyone can be an Elemental Priest, since it's a theme but Shamans are like the most appropriate. I guess other Primal classes could work as a more militant form of it.
I think that's why they're okay with dropping all the Divine classes. With healing surges and the other Leaders available, they can completely leave it out without hurting the players' ability to heal.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I hope themes get more support. It would be nice to see more of them via DDI and future PHBs and DMGs. I think they're a much more satisfying way of adding a little flavor to a character without burning a feat slot to multiclass or trying to bother with the, more or less, pointless background system.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I thought I heard themes were a Dark Sun only thing. I hope what I really heard was these themes are Dark Sun only. I really like the theme idea.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

I thought I heard themes were a Dark Sun only thing.

:negative:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Someone light the Rodney signal. I'm sure he can clear the future of themes up.

Though, I'm also pretty sure that after the last few pages he's never coming back in this thread again.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yes, he must have until then been completely unfamiliar with--and now disgusted by--the ways of nerds.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yes, a dude who writes D&D stuff for a living hasn't ever experienced nerdery.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
No srsly you guys made the thread unreadable gj

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Thanks for putting it into perspective, happyelf.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

happyelf posted:

No srsly you guys made the thread unreadable gj

This is more or less what I was getting at.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Change of subject.

Its cool they gave the queen of Gulg's stats, she was always the sexiest NPC I mean drat look at

Its probably just an illusion though, I wonder what she really...

Oh. Nevermind.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If I can treat people according to the gender they present, I can treat them according to the hotness they present. :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just sent off my Dark Sun article pitch. :ohdear:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Squizzle posted:

Just sent off my Dark Sun article pitch. :ohdear:

That's pretty cool man. Do you mind giving us a hint on what's about?

Also, good luck. I hope it gets picked up.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think most the Sorcerer Kings/Queens hide their warped true forms aside from Dregoth who gives no gently caress. Most of them aside from Dregoth are somewhere along the big chart of half dragon half human so they don't really look human anymore.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

That's pretty cool man. Do you mind giving us a hint on what's about?

Also, good luck. I hope it gets picked up.

I'm going to keep it under my hat for now, because they're not interested in ideas that you publish elsewhere.

And thanks. You and me both hope.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I think most the Sorcerer Kings/Queens hide their warped true forms aside from Dregoth who gives no gently caress. Most of them aside from Dregoth are somewhere along the big chart of half dragon half human so they don't really look human anymore.

I think Nibenay is the only other one who doesn't hide his creepiness, but he doesn't go out in public much either. And Hamanu goes into lion mode when he needs to impress the plebes. But I think even in their disguised forms, they're still supposed to look a little off, like one's proportions might be stretched, and another might have too big of a mouth or hosed up eyes. I think they all deliberately choose to look a bit alien to remind people what is what.

Also, good luck Squizzle.

RodneyThompson
Jun 13, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

Someone light the Rodney signal. I'm sure he can clear the future of themes up.

Though, I'm also pretty sure that after the last few pages he's never coming back in this thread again.

For now, themes are a Dark Sun thing, but that doesn't mean you'll never see them again. Just like anything else, we'll use the tools that work best for the material we're dealing with.

Also, the Design & Development article on themes is live, and lists all the themes in the book:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20100719

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Dune Trader

Thought that was one of them, good stuff. A full 10 themes, good variety and it hits a lot of the original Dark Sun concepts.

edit: also, "Attack: Primary ability vs. Will "
Primary ability

ritorix fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 19, 2010

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

RodneyThompson posted:

For now, themes are a Dark Sun thing, but that doesn't mean you'll never see them again. Just like anything else, we'll use the tools that work best for the material we're dealing with.

Also, the Design & Development article on themes is live, and lists all the themes in the book:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20100719

Thanks for this. I really appreciate it, though I am a little sad that they won't see general release. A boy can dream though. :allears:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

man I hope the rest of the chapter previews aren't as barren as the races of Athas article. I wanted to know what was up with Tieflings, Dragonborn, and Eladrin. I just got a Goliath paragon path.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

angrylinuxgeek posted:

I just got a pretty loving sweet Goliath paragon path.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

angrylinuxgeek posted:

man I hope the rest of the chapter previews aren't as barren as the races of Athas article. I wanted to know what was up with Tieflings, Dragonborn, and Eladrin. I just got a Goliath paragon path.

We don't know much about the place of tieflings on Athas, but:

Rich Baker posted:

The dragonborn (or dray) are a race of sorcerous merchants, hired spellcasters, pragmatic mercenaries, and maybe even slavers. They're not especially numerous, so you don't see a lot of them around. Their clans are like small, insular merchant houses, and they might serve as deal-brokers and moneylenders: disliked in many places, but regarded as very useful to have around. Heck, maybe some clans bribe the sorcerer-kings and templars for dispensation to practice magic or sell their services as assassins.
Citation.

Rich Baker posted:

Where do eladrin come from in Athas? We decided that the answer was still the Feywild—but the Feywild isn’t what you might expect... In Athas, that means “magical desert.” … The Feywild of Athas is dying, … a few scattered pockets that don’t connect to each other…

In fact, some of the Arabian myths about genies actually match up pretty well with the eladrin concept of a magical race living in an invisible otherworld that’s only a step away… if you know how to get there. So in Athas the eladrin become a mysterious, greatly feared race rumored to dwell in the Lands within the Wind—the strange otherworldly deserts and “hidden cities” that travelers sometimes stumble into in the middle of the most desolate wastelands…

Eladrin as the “unseen people” of the deserts is a good start, but it’s only half of the concept. The other key conceit of the eladrin in core D&D is that they’re creatures of arcane magic… In Athas, eladrin have abandoned arcane magic… They are instead masters of psionics. Eladrin “veiled warriors” slay any arcanists they encounter near their lands, and spy on the templars and minions of nearby sorcerer-kings, guarding what’s left of their fraying Feywild refuges. It’s only a matter of time until the Lands within the Wind cease to exist altogether, and things that were hidden return to the mortal world—but the eladrin hope to stave off that day as long as they can.
Citation

I keep thinking of the Feywild like that house that existed as a cross-section of the future in Book of the New Sun.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle posted:

• templar (controller? leader?, arcane)

Rich Baker posted:

The templar theme leans toward leader (with a hint of controller)
:smug:

Simpo
May 1, 2008
I like Eladrin as genie type creatures, rather than just elves that teleport. I guess with the arabian myth angle they could swing tieflings as having a more elemental origin, like being efreet or something. It would fit with their fire resist etc. I'm definately interested to see how they have done it though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That eladrin article sets up some good hooks. I like the idea of a Sorcerer King destroying the last vestiges of the Feywild to return a hidden temple or artifact oe whatever to Athas, so he can use it for something evil.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Looks like this week's Dark Sun article is going to be a location-centric piece about one of the venues for sacrificial offering to the Dragon, descriptively called "the Dragon's Altar".

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Hehe. Well there's already what, a Dragon's Crown, a Dragon's Bowl, a Dragon's Sweet Bong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
To be fair, dragons are kind of THE big bad of Dark Sun, but yeah it's getting a bit ridiculous.

(Yes there are technically greater threats above Sorcerer Kings but SKs get the lion's share of attention)

• Locked thread