Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why do I get tons of connection errors in multiplayer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

all of your troubles are dead and gone~

mastershakeman posted:

Why do I get tons of connection errors in multiplayer :(

Yeah, I have the same problem. The only time I ever got into a freeplay session was with two other people that just killed each other over and over.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It worked, thank you.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wow, I'm really close to 100%. My biggest task is getting 12 more bounty locations. This might be the first R* game I have fully completed, but there is not way I'm going to waste my time on multiplayer for the platinum. I can't even bring myself to kill all the buffalo for that hidden trophy :(.

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

After I got my achievement for killing the last buffalo, I reverted back to the last autosave. Now I still have buffalo wandering around in my game, which makes me happy.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

the truth posted:

Wow, I'm really close to 100%. My biggest task is getting 12 more bounty locations. This might be the first R* game I have fully completed, but there is not way I'm going to waste my time on multiplayer for the platinum. I can't even bring myself to kill all the buffalo for that hidden trophy :(.

That is how I felt until I found out about the trick for getting the FFA and team trophies. All you need is one other Goon to swap with you.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Yeah, but I would also have to replay the game for the 20 mission horse thing and rank up to 50. Not going to happen, I have other games I want to play.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

the truth posted:

Yeah, but I would also have to replay the game for the 20 mission horse thing and rank up to 50. Not going to happen, I have other games I want to play.

Oh. :(

The 20 mission one wasn't too bad, I just got it playing normally.

As for level 50, I can't blame you there. I wouldn't have hit 50 if not for the glitch when the DLC first came out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God drat, co-op mode is not meant for 16 people. That many people you're pretty much guaranteed to have some retard do something that will end the match immediately.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Reiven posted:

After I got my achievement for killing the last buffalo, I reverted back to the last autosave. Now I still have buffalo wandering around in my game, which makes me happy.

I did this as well. Killed the buffalo as quickly as possible so I wouldn't have one lone straggler and reloaded the save.

Some animals deserve to live :unsmith:

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

muscles like this? posted:

God drat, co-op mode is not meant for 16 people. That many people you're pretty much guaranteed to have some retard do something that will end the match immediately.

Hahaha, you can have 16 people in coop? What about the raft on the Mexican mission? That would be ridiculous.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

the truth posted:

Wow, I'm really close to 100%. My biggest task is getting 12 more bounty locations.

This isn't as time-consuming as it sounds. Bounties are posted around noon (at least a day after your last bounty in the area) and they don't repeat locations until you've completed all in an area. This breaks down to 8 in New Austin, 4 in Blackwater and 8 in Mexico.

Saving to skip time to the next bounty—and fast-traveling to a waypoint near the target—also greatly reduces the pain of the grind.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Depressing Box posted:

This isn't as time-consuming as it sounds. Bounties are posted around noon (at least a day after your last bounty in the area) and they don't repeat locations until you've completed all in an area.

Correction: bounties are posted while the sun is up. If you pull one down at 7:00 in the morning and finish it quickly, you can probably sleep-save and wake up in time for the next posting. You can get two, but yes, you usually won't be able to get more than one.

And if you still need the Bollard Twins outfit, it seems like Bollard Twins bounties only get posted at MacFarlane's Ranch.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Depressing Box posted:

This isn't as time-consuming as it sounds. Bounties are posted around noon (at least a day after your last bounty in the area) and they don't repeat locations until you've completed all in an area. This breaks down to 8 in New Austin, 4 in Blackwater and 8 in Mexico.

Saving to skip time to the next bounty—and fast-traveling to a waypoint near the target—also greatly reduces the pain of the grind.

This, except that they start showing up around 7:30AM. Not that bad afterward, and all of the Mexico ones are in roughly the same area (SE of Chuparosa)

ENDGAME AHOY So is it just me (and if this has been touched on before, I apologize), but did it seem like the events after Dutch falls to his death and you start working on the ranch would have been better suited as a tutorial level? What I'm thinking, is that you do one or two of the menial tasks (Herd cattle, scare away the crows, show your boy how to hunt Elk) to learn the basic mechanics of the game. Lets you get a view of the good life that John is looking for. After that you get another mission, but solo (Run and get some supplies or something else) and when you return Ross and his goons have kidnapped your family, sending you to dispatch Williamson at Fort Mercer and then continuing the story as is. Hell, at then end, make it seem like the betrayal by Ross is even faster.

Also, someone mentioned that the mysterious stranger should be in the crowd when you are gunned down. I though that the Army Captain looked a little like him.

EDIT, missed the tag, twice :(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CzarChasm posted:

ENDGAME AHOY So is it just me (and if this has been touched on before, I apologize), but did it seem like the events after Dutch falls to his death and you start working on the ranch would have been better suited as a tutorial level? What I'm thinking, is that you do one or two of the menial tasks (Herd cattle, scare away the crows, show your boy how to hunt Elk) to learn the basic mechanics of the game. Lets you get a view of the good life that John is looking for. After that you get another mission, but solo (Run and get some supplies or something else) and when you return Ross and his goons have kidnapped your family, sending you to dispatch Williamson at Fort Mercer and then continuing the story as is. Hell, at then end, make it seem like the betrayal by Ross is even faster.

Also, someone mentioned that the mysterious stranger should be in the crowd when you are gunned down. I though that the Army Captain looked a little like him.

EDIT, missed the tag, twice :(

I think it could work either way, and is fine the way it is. Having it at the end is supposed to illustrate the sharp contrast between John's "old life" which you got a taste of during the game and his new quiet life as a rancher with a wife and child. You get acquainted with your family and then Ross inevitably betrays you. The emotional impact is much greater that way, I think. Plus, the story is actually that John's family is taken while John is away. If they had taken his family while he was there it would've been a bloody struggle which would've probably led to John's death before he helps Ross round up Dutch and Williamson. Basically it'd be a completely different story, and wouldn't make that much sense given John's character.

Plus, you know, you don't have to do all the rancher missions back-to-back, so Ross' betrayal might not happen until days, weeks or months later. It depends on how you play it, and nothing says you can't run around like a badass outlaw and be a rancher.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

CapCityGoofBall posted:

I used a rifle on a raccoon and it exploded :(

The buffalo rifle will turn anything under the size of a boar/cougar into a nice mist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gazmachine posted:

Hahaha, you can have 16 people in coop? What about the raft on the Mexican mission? That would be ridiculous.

That one didn't show up in the playlist so maybe you can't do it with 16 people but yeah every other one we attempted just turned retarded. The only one it kind of worked was Ammunition (the one with the Mexican army assaulting the town you're in.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Capn Beeb posted:

I did this as well. Killed the buffalo as quickly as possible so I wouldn't have one lone straggler and reloaded the save.

Some animals deserve to live :unsmith:

I'm not killing buffalo even if I can create an alternate universe where they're alive. I'd still know what I did :colbert:

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

That one didn't show up in the playlist so maybe you can't do it with 16 people but yeah every other one we attempted just turned retarded. The only one it kind of worked was Ammunition (the one with the Mexican army assaulting the town you're in.)

I was pretty sure that four people is the maximum on the cooperative missions. How the hell did you get that many people in a game. That sounds like an absolute clusterfuck.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't kill all the buffalo.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The only reason I didn't kill all the buffalo was I ran out of dynamite and lost interest

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Tewratomeh posted:

Plus, you know, you don't have to do all the rancher missions back-to-back, so Ross' betrayal might not happen until days, weeks or months later. It depends on how you play it, and nothing says you can't run around like a badass outlaw and be a rancher.

That god awful outfit you're stuck in begs to differ. :colbert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Capn Beeb posted:

That god awful outfit you're stuck in begs to differ. :colbert:

I'll have you know, I'm playing Jack right now in the rancher outfit. That and the black bandana, and I aim to head into Blackwater, trailed by a menagerie of wild animals, to commence to massacrin' with my Flaming Pistola of Justice as The Black Rancher!

...it sounded much cooler in my head.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

the truth posted:

I did this on Saturday and was surprised at how fast it went. Skipping all the cut scenes and fast traveling wherever possible trims it down to a couple of hours from start to the 21st mission (which doesn't even get you to the assault on Fort Mercer).

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Finally got 100%. I was stuck at 99.9% until I checked that you need all locations. Had one on the far right of the map that I hadn't explored, I'm not sure I would've ever got that last 0.1% without the internet.

It was so worth it though. Using the unlocked outfit is giving me so much joy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Greyish Orange posted:

Finally got 100%. I was stuck at 99.9% until I checked that you need all locations. Had one on the far right of the map that I hadn't explored, I'm not sure I would've ever got that last 0.1% without the internet.

For anybody else stuck like this you can use the social club website which will let you know basically what you're missing. So something like that would have shown up on your letting you know exactly where to go.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I just beat the game, did the last Stranger mission wound up putting on the bandana and shotgunning his wife and brother too
Great experience overall, loved the game the whole way through. Im at 93% and I can't see myself slogging through the rest just for 100%

Can't believe how great this game was though.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I'm one mission away from beating the game and would have beaten it today if it weren't for the loving horsebreaking mission with Uncle. The last horse was especially a bitch and took waaaaay longer than it should have.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Vertigo posted:

Great experience overall, loved the game the whole way through. Im at 93% and I can't see myself slogging through the rest just for 100%

I didn't either, not right after I finished. All that happens in the last hour or two deflated me to where I liked the game but couldn't imagine completing the rest. But I've come back to the post-endgame save every couple weeks, finishing a few bounties or parts of an outfit until today when I cleared 100%. And I'm one of those guys who still feels empty at the end of GTA IV.

There's not much that most need to do in the post-endgame for 100%, and the Red Dead Wiki is a phenomenal resource when coupled with the Social site.

I gotta say (BIGASS ENDGAME SPOILERS), Jack grew on me. He's got some great ambient/shootout lines, and he looks badass in the US Marshal outfit. It's easy to get once you have a good horse, good weapons and a good rundown of each hideout. Anyway, there's something about Jack as a Marshal, using the more modern weapons like the High Power Pistol and Pump Action Shotgun that seems right to me.

isk fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 19, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Rather than 100% my original post-endgame save file, I decided to start all over again and do all the side stuff concurrently with the missions. Since I know how much there is to do, how frequently I need to do it, and where I have to be to do certain challenges, the pacing is pretty great this way.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
What's the point of the sleeping knife stealth kill? I don't get why they bothered with that but not an on foot stealth kill.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I've been killing every bird around the lakes and rivers in my search for ducks but I'm still empty handed. Do they come out at a certain time of day?

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Just beat the game today, loved the final act (even Jack, who really grew on me over his few missions. Stupid kid, he's trying so hard to be just like his Pa. Also, the reveal of adult Jack was great), LOVED the final mission (though my game bugged out, leaving a standing sprite of Jack in the barn after he and Abigail took off, as well as another bug that didn't allow me to draw my weapon/Dead Eye the final troops; I just chalked it up to John just facing the inevitability of the situation and appreciated it moreso) and went "gently caress yeah!" when I unloaded every round from my Mauser into Edgar Ross's fat head and "RED DEAD REDEMPTION" popped up.

Definitely the most fun I've had with a video game in a long time. Now it's time to eradicate every living thing on the map, especially in Tall Trees (goddamn bears).

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What's the point of the sleeping knife stealth kill? I don't get why they bothered with that but not an on foot stealth kill.

Crouch, approach someone from behind, insert knife through throat.

It doesn't work very well on Bounty Hunter missions, however, because Mr. Marston apparently believes that stealth is dishonorable and will shout out the bounty target's name at earliest chance, alerting all of his cohorts and your intended target.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
119 pages, sorry that I don't want to read through them all.

But has anyone experienced graphical glitches like patches of red and green showing up while looking at certain areas? I'm playing on the 360.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

My final animal for "Unnatural Selection" was a wild horse :smith:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

the truth posted:

I've been killing every bird around the lakes and rivers in my search for ducks but I'm still empty handed. Do they come out at a certain time of day?
I think I got mine around midday. Listen for quacking and then shoot anything that moves.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

the truth posted:

My final animal for "Unnatural Selection" was a wild horse :smith:

Same here. Poor ponies don't deserve to die.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Greyish Orange posted:

Was it that little house with the dock near the rail bridge? I missed that one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Thirst for Savings posted:

119 pages, sorry that I don't want to read through them all.

But has anyone experienced graphical glitches like patches of red and green showing up while looking at certain areas? I'm playing on the 360.

I was getting that on the PS3, but it was my GPU dying from overheating. Got a new Slim and no problems ever since.

• Locked thread