Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I feel like I should contribute more.

Pepper loves her little brother (sometimes). I'd say he is probably 14 weeks old or so in this one.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

We're going on a road trip! Loki (the blue eye) is close to 6 months old. Pepper is closing in on 2 years old.

One is kissing, one doesn't quite grasp the concept

Feels good man...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
It is very nearly official: within the next year, I am going to become one of the Washington Corgoon set.

My husband and I went to the Point Defiance meetup to talk to some owners and get more personal experience with the corgi personalities. As a result, we've definitely decided on a Cardigan. Now comes the fun choice of breeders. Since we're in Tacoma, I'm leaning toward Afara/Paul Chen, but we're definitely open to suggestions.

Here's another question. Since we knew a future puppy was going to be a major factor in choosing our new apartment, we went with a ground floor (less sound traveling when puppy barks) apartment in an apartment complex that has an on-site 4 acre dog park and a free (when pet deposit is paid) concierge service that will walk your dog while you're at work. That said, the OP definitely mentions that apartments can be problematic for corgi puppies. I guess my question is: will the major benefits outweigh the potential issues? Will a breeder look askance at us for living in an apartment? We did try to find a house with a fenced yard, but the ones in our price range and within a 5 mile radius of work did not allow pets, and we didn't want to dip into our savings too deeply...we need that for dogfund!

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I loved reading through this thread. I want to get a Corgi someday but I just don't have the time to devote to a dog right now. I used to have an awesome Basset Hound/ Corgi mix. He was built like a Basset but was a bit lighter and actually looked happy.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
Here's a few pictures from my boarding kennel's website. Wasn't there when they took them, but since corgis are my favorite breed I feel obliged to share.

This is Wade getting a bath and brushing, the same Corgi from the previous page.

Don't know why they're so tiny, but I'm working on their website tomorrow so I'll see if I can grab bigger versions.

PeetsZahut
Jul 9, 2008

PeetsZahut fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 28, 2010

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
Bumpin dis

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
New pics of our newest boy, Dewey! My hosting.

Dexter's first impression of the little tyke:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
My Pembroke Artemis has been getting these dark colorations on her inner ears. Anyone have any experience with that? She does stay outside during the day, but 90% of the time I see her out in the yard when I come home she is sleeping in the shade next to the door so I don't really think she's getting burned up by heat or the sun.

She has those dark skin patches are parts of her belly too (and she didn't have them when we had an apartment), but they don't seem to be sensitive or tender, and she doesn't even notice 'em. No idea where those come from, but it's kind of weird.

I'll try and wrangle up some pictures later when I get home. She's a 2 year old Female Pembroke Sable Red/White from Rosewood Corgis in San Diego.

I've heard other Pembrokes are very loud, but mine doesn't bark at all. I have no idea if this is because she's naturally a quiet pup or because we had gone out of our way to discourage barking (we do this with all of our dogs and it works really well, but they still bark if the perimeter is breached, which is a good thing, imo). She was just unusually easy to teach to not bark because she was so quiet as a puppy.

(Here's a couple I got off my work HDD)

(At my office when fully grown, but still too puppy-ish to be running around at work!)

(As a puppy)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 9, 2010

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Angry Grimace posted:

My Pembroke Artemis has been getting these dark colorations on her inner ears. Anyone have any experience with that? She does stay outside during the day, but 90% of the time I see her out in the yard when I come home she is sleeping in the shade next to the door so I don't really think she's getting burned up by heat or the sun.

Pictures would help. Do you leave her outside all day while you're at work?

BONUS:

Lazer dog! PEW PEW PEW

(ignore the gross house, we just moved & ripped up the floors)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pooptron2003 posted:

Pictures would help. Do you leave her outside all day while you're at work?

BONUS:

Lazer dog! PEW PEW PEW

(ignore the gross house, we just moved & ripped up the floors)

She is usually outside in the backyard all day while I'm at work with my wife's Papillon (I work 9 to 5 M-F). I'm going to be starting school in a couple weeks though, so she'll be in more.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a food issue...I think I'll start switching around the dogs food to something ultra-premium for a while and see if that affects anything. We used to feed both dogs the super expensive stuff + supplements, but the Pap hated it and got super thin (he has very little food drive).

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
My friend's Westie has allergies that pop up in the summer, and her belly/ears will turn dark as a reaction. You might want to check with your vet about allergies.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I Have 2 tri-color corgis and their coats actually lightened a little as they get older. I don't think its unreasonable to think they can't get darker

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Crunch Bucket posted:

Dexter's first impression of the little tyke:

My dog does this too. Oh my god I'm laughing so hard right now.

I call this his "gremlin face"

LunarAftiel
Apr 24, 2008
IMAGE DUMP!
I've been reading this thread since I got my corgi about 4 months ago. So, everyone, this is Wedge!

Here's a couple of pictures of him as a tiny puppy:

And here's some from the first week we had him:

Here he is on the 4th of July after helping my friend build the crawlspace he never knew he wanted

And some shots taken tonight from the bottom of the stairs

He's an awesome dog. He growls hello while carrying his toys around, and he's just ecstatic to met you at the door. He loves everyone who comes over. He really is a lot of fun

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

Does anyone's corgi do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeeaKiGve0s

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.
drat. I was looking around at Cardigan breeders in Texas for a friend and it's genuinely hard to find any that OFA test. None of the breeders linked to on the official breed registry's website seem to be very diligent about it; these folks seem alright in that they title their dogs and only have a single litter a year at most, but only one of their dogs has an OFA listing. The rest just have PRAs.

I haven't gone through the entire thread so forgive me if someone linked to an awesome Cardigan breeder in the DFW area two pages ago, but if somebody knows of a good 'un I'd really love a link. I'd like to steer my friend in the right direction, if it's at all possible.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Citizen Insane posted:

drat. I was looking around at Cardigan breeders in Texas for a friend and it's genuinely hard to find any that OFA test. None of the breeders linked to on the official breed registry's website seem to be very diligent about it; these folks seem alright in that they title their dogs and only have a single litter a year at most, but only one of their dogs has an OFA listing. The rest just have PRAs.

I haven't gone through the entire thread so forgive me if someone linked to an awesome Cardigan breeder in the DFW area two pages ago, but if somebody knows of a good 'un I'd really love a link. I'd like to steer my friend in the right direction, if it's at all possible.

This is an interesting article about why a lot of corgi breeders choose not to test hips: http://blacksheepcardigans.com/ruff/dog-health/being-a-good-breeder/

I think it boils down to OFA and PennHip being good measures of hip quality for breeds like Labs, Aussies, and other similarly shaped dogs, but are insufficient for the body type of Corgis.

Based on what I've read I wouldn't automatically rule out a breeder because they choose not to go through official hip registries. But I am not a Corgi owner, so I'm not nearly as educated as I could be.

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.
I guess she was actually looking for a Pembroke anyway. After a bit of searching I found these guys, who are a sterling example of the 'good breeders, terrible loving website' rule. Waving American flag gifs and a goddamned bald eagle background on the 'About Us' page, wow. :3:

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Sleeping Corgi is The Cutest on Funny or Die

d'awwwwwww :3:

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Im sure you have probably seen this since its been blowing up but if you havent its adorable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glii-kazad8

bekpek
Jun 5, 2007
Nuts on the road.
I hope it is ok to post sort-of-corgis!

This is Colin:

We got him from a shelter, he is two years old and they had no idea of his history other than the fact he is healthy as they got him from a shelter in Ireland (we are in England) and that he was a stray before that. But we know he must have had some sort of home as he loves other dogs and people and knows basic commands and is housetrained - we were so lucky with him really - we can even leave him on his own at home! Definitely not as destructive as we anticipated and he sleeps most of the day and all night but he gets lots of exercise and the chance to run so that's probably why.

He weighs abour 13kg which is arouns 28lb so more than purebreds obviously and he has longer legs and body but apart from that he is very much corgi looking and when we are out on walks everyone guesses the corgi bit of him.

Most of the time his ears are like this:

But sometimes they go more Corgi-like!

But he is adorable and we love him!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Citizen Insane posted:

I guess she was actually looking for a Pembroke anyway. After a bit of searching I found these guys, who are a sterling example of the 'good breeders, terrible loving website' rule. Waving American flag gifs and a goddamned bald eagle background on the 'About Us' page, wow. :3:

To be fair, my understanding is that breeding high-quality dogs isn't particularly profitable, if at all. For the most part, the really good breeders aren't breeding enough dogs to need advertisements.

When I got Artemis, my breeder had actually expressed concern with the rapidly rising popularity of Corgis. She said she was worried that popularity would lead to a rise in "bad" breeders.

StoneyAssassin
Feb 19, 2003

elf pr0n posted:

One of our corgis does this. She'll roll around on my wife's face in the morning when it's time to get up. Or you can start making weird noises with your mouth and she's physically push herself in your face. It's quite hilarious.

edit:
And here they are from the last time we dressed them up.

StoneyAssassin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 20, 2010

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

elf pr0n posted:

Yes, oh god yes. For some reason this is called "giving spaghetti" as our house.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

He looks way smaller than he actually is ( 30 lbs to the Tri's 18).

lu lu lu fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 26, 2010

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

streetlamp posted:

Im sure you have probably seen this since its been blowing up but if you havent its adorable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glii-kazad8

I've watched this 3 times now, and it still makes me laugh every goddamn time.
Its so silly :3

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My girlfriend (and I too I guess, we're living apart right now) just got a tri-color Pembroke named Butters, and for the first few days she's had him he's been awesome; I'm visiting them this weekend. A couple of questions-

I notice that his belly gets pretty big when he eats, and the breeder told my girlfriend to make sure he doesn't get too fat but he eats a ton when it's time to eat. Is this just because he's growing or should she cut back on his feeding (4, sometimes 3 times a day)?

Related to that last question, when do they start to really grow in size? Apparently he was much smaller than his two sisters when my girlfriend picked him up, though we saw him when he was six weeks old (he'll be eight on Monday) and they were all about the same size.

Contrary to the OP, Butters has only really barked either when we play rowdy with him or when he's in his crate. Does a Corgi's herding instinct kick in after they grow up a little more or did we luck out and get a really chill dog? He didn't do any barking when I came to visit or when we took him to the pet store.

Related to maturing, Butters likes to nip at just about everything in sight (limbs, blinds, hair if he can get it). Is he just teething or is does he run the risk of actually biting people with some force when he grows up?

Also pictures will come when I get back home and get them off my phone, he was a huge hit at the pet store today :3:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 29, 2010

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

C-Euro posted:

My girlfriend (and I too I guess, we're living apart right now) just got a tri-color Pembroke named Butters, and for the first few days she's had him he's been awesome; I'm visiting them this weekend. A couple of questions-

I notice that his belly gets pretty big when he eats, and the breeder told my girlfriend to make sure he doesn't get too fat but he eats a ton when it's time to eat. Is this just because he's growing or should she cut back on his feeding (4, sometimes 3 times a day)?

Related to that last question, when do they start to really grow in size? Apparently he was much smaller than his two sisters when my girlfriend picked him up, though we saw him when he was six weeks old (he'll be eight on Monday) and they were all about the same size.

Contrary to the OP, Butters has only really barked either when we play rowdy with him or when he's in his crate. Does a Corgi's herding instinct kick in after they grow up a little more or did we luck out and get a really chill dog? He didn't do any barking when I came to visit or when we took him to the pet store.

Related to maturing, Butters likes to nip at just about everything in sight (limbs, blinds, hair if he can get it). Is he just teething or is does he run the risk of actually biting people with some force when he grows up?

Also pictures will come when I get back home and get them off my phone, he was a huge hit at the pet store today :3:

Conventional wisdom around here says that you shouldn't be afraid to feed a puppy a lot, as they're growing and they need it. However, you may want to cut back the portion size if his belly looks swollen after eating. Also, I don't know what you're feeding him, but check the nutrition thread for advice on high quality food.

Also, have you had your vet check him out yet? You should probably get an opinion regarding his growth from your vet. Also, I should mention that it's really important to get several rounds of puppy shots before you take the pup out to places other dogs frequent (pet store). Parvo is a nasty disease and there have been several threads here on PI from people who have lost puppies to it.

Regarding barking and herding instinct, I don't have much experience with Pembrokes, but my Cardigan was herding the cats the day we brought her home (10 weeks). I think she was a little older (maybe 5-6 months) when she started getting protective of our home and yard, and barking/growling when she heard strange sounds.

All puppies bite, and corgis in particular tend to be really nippy (it's probably a herding instinct thing). It's up to you to redirect the biting into more appropriate behavior, so you have a well mannered dog later on. There's a lot of advice on dealing with biting in the new puppy thread.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

anachrodragon posted:

Also, have you had your vet check him out yet? You should probably get an opinion regarding his growth from your vet. Also, I should mention that it's really important to get several rounds of puppy shots before you take the pup out to places other dogs frequent (pet store). Parvo is a nasty disease and there have been several threads here on PI from people who have lost puppies to it.

She's scheduled to go to the vet with him on Wednesday to start the rest of his shots, and I carried him in the store the whole time; I kept him far away from other animals and made sure he wasn't licking any strangers' hands. I appreciate the concern as well as your other advice though :) We both agree he needs to stay inside until he's big enough and had enough shots to handle the outdoors.

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006
My boyfriend bought me a forums account so we could spend more time together. On the internet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc6pCymlL9o

Let me know if the video doesn't work, I've never tried the "unlisted" option before.

The dogs had a playdate at my parents' during Labor Day weekend. Much fun was had.

The white-headed one barking after the ball is Cadbury (my dad's) the one who made a bee-line for the pool is Allison.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Hey everyone! I know there are a lot of western Washington corg-goons, so I thought I'd just throw this out there. Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue currently does not have a breed representative for the Cardigan Welsh Corgi. They have one for the Pems, but none for the Cardi. The breed representatives are hugely important to the success of SPDR.

From their website:
"Breed Reps typically possess extensive first-hand knowledge and experience with a particular breed. Often they have been involved in training and showing the breed, and are sometimes active with local or national breed clubs. These individuals have developed an understanding of the specific health, behavior, and personality traits of the breed, and have a personal interest in rescue.

As a result of an SPDR Breed Rep’s guidance during adoption, prospective adopters are able to:

1. Learn more about a particular breed before making a decision to adopt.

2. Determine whether a particular breed is right for their lifestyle and expectations.

3. Avoid spending days or weeks visiting shelters in search of a particular breed.

4. Get a knowledgeable opinion about a specific dog to determine its unique characteristics, adoptability, and appropriate “fit” for their household.

Most importantly, an SPDR Breed Rep’s commitment continues long after adoption. When questions or issues arise, the adoptive family can ask for advice in matters of health, behavior, and training."

This would likely be a very demanding task, but very worthwhile. I'm not from the organization or anything like that. I just thought there might be some interest in this.

EDIT: for clarification, this would be totally a volunteer thing. I don't think SPDR breed reps get paid, except in satisfaction and knowledge of a job well done.

Bizkitty
Sep 23, 2008

Lieutenant Shit Factory

The Dave posted:

I'm so sorry Taziki, I didn't know my mom would do this to you while I was gone for the weekend...

Looks like the bunny in Donnie Darko! Very creepy!!!!

Adorable puppy though!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Here is our little 6-month-old girl, Laika. My wife has decided that Corgis are the breed for us from now on, so a Pembroke will probably be next, but here's a cute Cardigan in the meantime:

Laying around with our ~3-yr boy Cairn terrier, Albie:

Going back in time, Laika again at around 4 months:

These are some of the earliest solo pic of her that we have (taken by the breeder, I guess she's just a couple of months old in the first and just a few weeks in the second):

Oh and here is one of her entire litter chowing down and Laika worrying around the edges, not an aggressive bone in her body:

And this is the game she and Albie have invented, but I'm still trying to think of a good name for it. it seems to be totally voluntary in every aspect; she doesn't want to catch him and he's not really trying to get away, although he gets more and more agitated as the number of laps increases. My favorite part is the direction changing, which is always due to Laika wising up and not Albie (who is smart but has no sense):
Coffee Table 500

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006
My boyfriend bought me a forums account so we could spend more time together. On the internet.

mdemone posted:

And this is the game she and Albie have invented, but I'm still trying to think of a good name for it. it seems to be totally voluntary in every aspect; she doesn't want to catch him and he's not really trying to get away, although he gets more and more agitated as the number of laps increases. My favorite part is the direction changing, which is always due to Laika wising up and not Albie (who is smart but has no sense):
Coffee Table 500

Cutest. Game. Ever. All my dogs do is boring, old tug-of-war. I wish they were smart enough to make up a game.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

mdemone posted:

Coffee Table 500

Is that the Cairn constantly growling around the toy in his mouth? Oh my god, that's ridiculous. :3:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Captain Foxy posted:

Is that the Cairn constantly growling around the toy in his mouth? Oh my god, that's ridiculous. :3:

Yes, he has no brains in his head.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

ButWhatIf posted:

Cardigan Rep Needed

I went ahead and cross-posted this to Corgi' R Us.

It mostly Pem people, but maybe someone will know someone.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Can anyone point me to a Cardigan rescue in the Washington, DC area? (Mid-Atlantic works, too, though I'd like something closer to home if there is one.)

The national group apparently didn't pay their web hosting, so their site's down, and nothing is turning up.

My fiance and I are considering a Cardi, and we're definitely looking at a rescue rather than a puppy.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I don't have a corgi, but I'm going to be dog-sitting one for a bit starting later this month. It is incredibly exciting!

However, I've never had a dog, much less a corgi, so I was wondering if you guys have any general advice? I'm especially worried about how to get her to listen to me (I suspect treats will be involved?). I'm going to ask her owners, too, but I figure I can't really have too much help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

All dogs of all breeds are quirky as hell, sure there are general guidelines and things owners "should" do but there are so many variables, the biggest being dogs just having different personalities. Really if you are that curious set aside a like an hour to talk to the owners and learn everything you can about the dog, take notes.

In general Corgis have a ton of energy, so get some long walks in, like 2 a day. Or if they have a big backyard just play a ton of fetch. A fully energized Corgi can spring around like an Alligator pogo-stick so you'll have mug easier time if you are working with a relaxed and exercised Corgi.

Also don't give the dog treats unless its done something to deserve them. If the owners don't follow that rule you might have some begging issues. Taziki only gets treats for going in her crate and having good walks, and even then we make sure she sits and is calm when receiving the treat.

The most important thing... Take tons of pics and post them here.

• Locked thread