Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
At the end of the game has anybody shot the gun out of Ross' hand? If so, what happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

WeaselWeaz posted:

At the end of the game has anybody shot the gun out of Ross' hand? If so, what happens?
You can't. You have to kill him in the duel.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Has anyone come up with a foolproof method of shooting peoples' hats off? I keep trying to get fancy and knock the hats off of people I've disarmed, but then I end up also managing to hit them in the top of the head and it's a giant spray of blood and oh god I've killed an unarmed man.

vvv Why the gently caress did I never try this. :doh: vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 20, 2010

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Has anyone come up with a foolproof method of shooting peoples' hats off? I keep trying to get fancy and knock the hats off of people I've disarmed, but then I end up also managing to hit them in the top of the head and it's a giant spray of blood and oh god I've killed an unarmed man.

Shoot the brim, not the top.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Anyone else having trouble with the knock out one person in every saloon? I've done it in Armadillo, Thieves Landing, Blackwater, Chuparosa, Casa Matraguda, and Escalera. Have I missed a location?

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

CzarChasm posted:

Anyone else having trouble with the knock out one person in every saloon? I've done it in Armadillo, Thieves Landing, Blackwater, Chuparosa, Casa Matraguda, and Escalera. Have I missed a location?
There's a saloon in Rathskeller Fork.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

I had quite a time in Casa Madrugada. I was trying to beat up the bartender but he kept running away and then respawning right behind me. All the while the whores were screaming DIOS MIO!!!!!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

fennesz posted:

Same here. Poor ponies don't deserve to die.

After I'd heard that wild horses count towards Unnatural Selection, I killed a couple of wild horses while out riding around. I was in one of those don't-give-a-gently caress moods, but then Marston said something like "So this is what I've been reduced to, horse killin'"

Then I felt bad about it :smith:

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
*sigh* Endgame spoiler: Jack keeps all of the animal pelts John had, but none of the herbs. Time to get 10 red sages again for Daedelus and Son.

BitingTheHermit
Nov 5, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

After I'd heard that wild horses count towards Unnatural Selection, I killed a couple of wild horses while out riding around. I was in one of those don't-give-a-gently caress moods, but then Marston said something like "So this is what I've been reduced to, horse killin'"

Then I felt bad about it :smith:

Really? I think it's hilarious to go around shooting horses then dump thousands up thousands of their skins in some poor bastard's shop for 3 bucks a pop.

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:

fenix down posted:

DIOS MIO!!!!!

This + Shatner's face has me rolling.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Was it that little house with the dock near the rail bridge? I missed that one as well.

I can't remember if there was a house, but it's definitely next to the railway bridge. Seemed a very unexciting way to get that last 0.1%.

I'm glad to read in the thread that Rockstar are making another Bully, I enjoyed that as much as RDR.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

BerkerkLurk posted:

*sigh* Endgame spoiler: Jack keeps all of the animal pelts John had, but none of the herbs. Time to get 10 red sages again for Daedelus and Son.

Just get a survivalist map and get the right area, you'll do it in 5 minutes or so.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Yes...
...but they could have let me keep them... :negative:

So young. They never had a chance to become whatever they're for.

THISISNOTSWIZZ
Dec 8, 2005
LMAO INTERNET!
just bought this. im having trouble trying to actually play the game because id rather kill everyone in town. first 30 minutes in i got a $700+ bounty on my head. if anyone wants to join me (help me) GT: Thrive On Ego

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sco Dylan posted:

I was getting that on the PS3, but it was my GPU dying from overheating. Got a new Slim and no problems ever since.

I have the new slim 360. I spoke with a friend who also experienced the same problems I have. The instance it happened for both of us was when there was rain and looking into to some brush or just towards the ground.

Seems to just be game related.

EDIT: Friend is running new slim system as well.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 20, 2010

Jameson-
Apr 1, 2010

BerkerkLurk posted:

Not true on 360. I turned in the last John mission, talked to Ross' wife, did Aztec Gold, turned in Daedelus and Son with materials I gathered before I completed the last John mission, then killed Ross. Jack had everything.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

That's funny, I was playing the 360 version.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It seems to be random. The first time, I lost everything but some rare animal pelts. The second time, I retained everything.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Question: I just got to Mexico in the game since I've been playing slowly. I tried to max out my honor, but it seems stuck at the line for the last bit. Do I need to get past a certain point for it to get moving again, or is it hosed up? I just getting caught cheating at poker on purpose to initiate duels, then disarming them for big chunks of honor.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Question: I just got to Mexico in the game since I've been playing slowly. I tried to max out my honor, but it seems stuck at the line for the last bit. Do I need to get past a certain point for it to get moving again, or is it hosed up? I just getting caught cheating at poker on purpose to initiate duels, then disarming them for big chunks of honor.
You sure it's not maxed already?

Jameson-
Apr 1, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Pause, select Stats, then select General (I think, it's whatever the first one is under stats). Your Honor rank should be listed there. If it says Hero, you're maxed.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Honor

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Crows Turn Off posted:

You sure it's not maxed already?

Certain. There's still that last little chunk of bar there.

EDIT: But looking on that wiki page, I see the "reward" for hitting Hero is the same as I got a popup for long before I started getting my honor up there. Now I'm just confused.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 20, 2010

Jameson-
Apr 1, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Certain. There's still that last little chunk of bar there.

EDIT: But looking on that wiki page, I see the "reward" for hitting Hero is the same as I got a popup for long before I started getting my honor up there. Now I'm just confused.
Did you accidentally equip a bandana?

Jameson- fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 20, 2010

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BerkerkLurk posted:

Yes...
...but they could have let me keep them... :negative:

So young. They never had a chance to become whatever they're for.

They wilted and died.

OR

You put them on John's grave.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tried multiplayer for the first time last night. From what I read I was expecting a crowd of 15 year old assholes to be waiting for me to spawn so they could immediately kill me hundreds of times but it was actually pretty sparse and the other people in free roam seemed fairly decent, no spawn campers or anything like that. not bad, though maybe i just got lucky

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Earwicker posted:

Tried multiplayer for the first time last night. From what I read I was expecting a crowd of 15 year old assholes to be waiting for me to spawn so they could immediately kill me hundreds of times but it was actually pretty sparse and the other people in free roam seemed fairly decent, no spawn campers or anything like that. not bad, though maybe i just got lucky

I've had more good luck than bad in multiplayer. Only once did I get on a server with two assholes hell-bent on griefing me at every turn; for the most part, people will leave you alone or posse up and go do fun poo poo together.

The FFA / Gang Wars games on the other hand can be pretty dickish, with a lot of people quitting when you're about to win, that kind of thing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Peas and Rice posted:

I've had more good luck than bad in multiplayer. Only once did I get on a server with two assholes hell-bent on griefing me at every turn; for the most part, people will leave you alone or posse up and go do fun poo poo together.

The FFA / Gang Wars games on the other hand can be pretty dickish, with a lot of people quitting when you're about to win, that kind of thing.

yea in free roam there was one guy who i hunted down and killed, then ran into him a little later and killed him again. he respawned right in front of me and i didnt want to be a dick so i gave him some room and took off into the hills. He came after me though, caught up and started shooting so I figured fair enough, turned around and got a couple nice rifle shots in and he then he quit. I didnt really mind it was just kind of funny. i can see how that'd be really irritating if you are trying to win a more specific game though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, the griefing in this game isn't very creative. The only instances where I've been annoyed enough to leave a match and do something else was when some guy on my team in a gang match spent the whole match hunting me down and killing me and another time when me and a couple other dudes began herding the cows in that coop mission before one of them decided dynamite was a legitimate cow herding implement.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Sign me up for the 100% club.

Endgame spoilers

I had the ending spoiled for me, so I did as much as possible before switching over to Jack. Once I was stuck with him I only had to do four things for the 100%: buy the US Army scrap in Blackwater, save my game in his bed, get the US Marshall outfit, and complete the final stranger mission. I never thought I would get that dastardly achievement until I met Edgar Ross' wife. For Ross, I shot him in the balls and emptied the rest of my clip into his face. This is coming from a guy who doesn't want to kill the in-game buffalo and didn't kill any wild horses until he absolutely had to. Good job, Rockstar, this is your magnum opus.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

the truth posted:

Sign me up for the 100% club.

Endgame spoilers

I had the ending spoiled for me, so I did as much as possible before switching over to Jack. Once I was stuck with him I only had to do four things for the 100%: buy the US Army scrap in Blackwater, save my game in his bed, get the US Marshall outfit, and complete the final stranger mission. I never thought I would get that dastardly achievement until I met Edgar Ross' wife. For Ross, I shot him in the balls and emptied the rest of my clip into his face. This is coming from a guy who doesn't want to kill the in-game buffalo and didn't kill any wild horses until he absolutely had to. Good job, Rockstar, this is your magnum opus.

EDIT: Just in case, this is all endgame.

Weirdly, I was very similar.

Kill the buffalo? No way! Ross's wife, however, was hogtied, shot nearby to terrorise, burnt to death using fire bombs, and finally had her body rolled into the lake. Her uncle suffered a similar fate. I want people to know you don't do that poo poo to a Marston.

Desperate, desperate request: I'm already sick of Inigo Montoya Jack, is there any way or cheat to play as John again? If nothing else his voice irritates me way more than Jack's did.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 21, 2010

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Shockeh posted:

Desperate, desperate request: I'm already sick of Inigo Montoya Jack, is there any way or cheat to play as John again? If nothing else his voice irritates me way more than Jack's did.

What, you don't like hearing "Work, ya dumb nag! Work! Work!" every time you gallop on your horse? :downs:

That's why I did as much as possible before the switch, and I'm glad I did.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

the truth posted:

What, you don't like hearing "Work, ya dumb nag! Work! Work!" every time you gallop on your horse? :downs:

That's why I did as much as possible before the switch, and I'm glad I did.
More than anything, I just want the little bastard to get a haircut.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Yeah, the griefing in this game isn't very creative. The only instances where I've been annoyed enough to leave a match and do something else was when some guy on my team in a gang match spent the whole match hunting me down and killing me and another time when me and a couple other dudes began herding the cows in that coop mission before one of them decided dynamite was a legitimate cow herding implement.

The only time I've really had a problem was one server where it was me and two other guys, and they spent the whole time warping to wherever I was and shooting me over and over. I kept travelling across the map to try to do gang hideouts, and they would just travel in and shoot me.

Took about 5 minutes to quit out. :)

Edit: I've had way more positive experiences than negative, like the time I went for my 10 minutes as Most Wanted achievement, the two guys who came to hunt me down ended up joining my posse and helped me get the cheevie rather than kill me. That's good fun.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 21, 2010

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
I just need bounties to 100% this now, only other R* game I've managed that on was Vice City and that was with extensive use of a guide.

I can't believe how fun this game is. I'm well over 100 hours in and still not in the slightest bit bored. I do wish I could go back to playing as John thoughand I STILL haven't had the Gentlemans Attire unlock but it's good enough I guess. I cannot WAIT for the new DLC, zombies sound awesome.

Also the co-op missions are fun as hell, more so when you spend your time on voice chat as a backwater hick confused by everything. Which is what I did. Fun times.

If anyones interested in co-op go ahead and add me (360): MiisterBung

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

You guys realize that by killing Ross' wife you're just as bad as he was? :colbert:

I just got 100% too, I somehow missed the Aztec Gold stranger quest, so that was the grand finale.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

appropriatemetaphor posted:

You guys realize that by killing Ross' wife you're just as bad as he was? :colbert:

Not quite though, since we were motivated to kill for personal reasons whereas Ross was motivated to kill to further his social/political/career standings. Ethically yes, we both committed the same atrocity (murder) but I wouldn't say the killings are of equal motivation.

In my imagination Jack seduced Ross' wife before ever revealing his identity. He then hired a photographer to hide and photograph the ensuing anal sex, which he threw copies of to the townspeople as he dragged the bitch through town behind his horse. Fuckin hoor had tha devil in'er, hadda gettidout.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I either end up in games full of griefers hell-bent on cross-map firefights or other ones full of cool dudes who just leave each other alone.

I was doing Nosalida and another guy walked in. Neither of us had a mic, so we just cleared the whole place out together and parted ways without a single word. It was such a badass feeling of unspoken trust, I love it when I see another person without getting shot right away. :3:

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

HAL9100 posted:

In my imagination Jack seduced Ross' wife before ever revealing his identity. He then hired a photographer to hide and photograph the ensuing anal sex, which he threw copies of to the townspeople as he dragged the bitch through town behind his horse. Fuckin hoor had tha devil in'er, hadda gettidout.

Well holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Shockeh posted:

More than anything, I just want the little bastard to get a haircut.

I dunno, I thought that look suited the Legend of the West outfit.

And it makes for a snazzy Gentleman's Attire. :gay:

• Locked thread