Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

snortpocket posted:

Where are you finding this? iTunes has got nothing, and it doesn't look like their official site or MySpace has been updated in a while either.
http://tee.daa.jp/ The japanese version of their site is more up-to-date, not that you can read much of it (although, oddly, the navbar is still in english, so just click 'sound').

Medical posted:

Heads up. The new Gifts From Enola album...
excellent, didn't know their new one was so close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
New Angel Eyes is out.

New Angel Eyes is good.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
The new songs from This Will Destroy You are just bad. What happened to the band that made Young Mountain?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Medical posted:

The new songs from This Will Destroy You are just bad. What happened to the band that made Young Mountain?

They didn't want to follow the "trendy post rock" so decided to follow "drone" instead. Yeah it is way different, beats me why they change to this at all. Machine music isn't really something I can find myself listening to, and I can't imagine listening to it live.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

joelcamefalling posted:

New Angel Eyes is out.

New Angel Eyes is good.

Waiting on that and the new Gifts From Enola (which I haven't heard yet either) to arrive from The Mylene Sheath, never has a package been more anticapated :ohdear:

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Rhgr posted:

Waiting on that and the new Gifts From Enola (which I haven't heard yet either) to arrive from The Mylene Sheath, never has a package been more anticapated :ohdear:

I couldnt wait (shipping to Australia takes around 843 years), so to tide me over til it arrives, I got the mp3s from Amazon.

<-- postrock junkie

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Harminoff posted:

They didn't want to follow the "trendy post rock" so decided to follow "drone" instead. Yeah it is way different, beats me why they change to this at all. Machine music isn't really something I can find myself listening to, and I can't imagine listening to it live.

Post rock ain't trendy anymore tho....

Machines
Jul 11, 2010
What do people here think of And So I Watch you From Afar?

Absolutely amazed the band lives in my country and came from my town, thought nothing really good would come out of here a year ago and when I heard them I was blown away. Not only do I love them because they are 'local' but I love them really because they just...write amazing tunes.

Set Guitars to Kill - People always tout Tupenny Nudger by LaFaro but this is personally what I think the most 'gently caress yeah' song to come from N.I. Just balls to the walls yummy rock. Must be heard loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_QEOGs37w

The Voiceless - A more traditional sounding post-rock song. Release after the build up is just..wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3zTd8LpLWc

EDIT: Also forgot to mention this band is probably the best band for a live performance going at the moment. I recommend anyone see them. Kerrang done a top 100 gigs list recently and Muse at Wembley a few years ago was at number 1 and it was a very enjoyable show, but ASIWYFA live is something religious.

Machines fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 18, 2010

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Machines posted:

Absolutely amazed the band lives in my country and came from my town, thought nothing really good would come out of here a year ago and when I heard them I was blown away. Not only do I love them because they are 'local' but I love them really because they just...write amazing tunes.

Set Guitars to Kill - People always tout Tupenny Nudger by LaFaro but this is personally what I think the most 'gently caress yeah' song to come from N.I. Just balls to the walls yummy rock. Must be heard loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_QEOGs37w

The Voiceless - A more traditional sounding post-rock song. Release after the build up is just..wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3zTd8LpLWc

EDIT: Also forgot to mention this band is probably the best band for a live performance going at the moment. I recommend anyone see them. Kerrang done a top 100 gigs list recently and Muse at Wembley a few years ago was at number 1 and it was a very enjoyable show, but ASIWYFA live is something religious.
Yeah, they've already had a bit of love in this thread. I totally agree with everything you said. I saw them play 2000 Trees on Friday and Jesus Christ! I was right at the front and centre and I gave myself whiplash and bruised the poo poo of of my knees and elbows on the barrier as I was rocking out a bit too hard :) It was the 5th time I've seen them and they just get better and better! I tried to fly over for their Ulster Hall gig but I missed my plane over there :( I can't wait to hear the new stuff that they've been working on.

Machines
Jul 11, 2010
Ulster hall was arguably their best gig that year, and I am sort of biased towards it because I rocked out a bit too hard, got my head split open and got backstage. Met the band and was well chuffed! Lots of lovely free merch.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

The Letters EP by ASIWYFA is really great, particularly because there's a song on there called 'K Is For Killing Spree (An Ode To)', although 'Set guitars to kill' is a pretty great title too.

Blaisedell fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 25, 2010

Machines
Jul 11, 2010
ASIWYFA have my favorite song titles for a post-rock rock band, a lot of song titles are just long for the sake of it but ASIYWFA's are like big strong statements. 'Set Guitars to Kill' 'A Little Bit of Solidarity Goes a Long Away' and 'If it ain't broke, break it' are fantastic.

Also a local post-rock band from my area, Kasper Rosa, have just put their album up on spotify and it's pretty good. Here's a taster:

http://open.spotify.com/track/4xuVi7voz7hfBQiBQLMHm6

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

Machines posted:

ASIWYFA have my favorite song titles for a post-rock rock band, a lot of song titles are just long for the sake of it but ASIYWFA's are like big strong statements. 'Set Guitars to Kill' 'A Little Bit of Solidarity Goes a Long Away' and 'If it ain't broke, break it' are fantastic.
They've got some great names. I bought their album unheard from an Amazon recommendation simply because of the names. 'Clench Fists, Grit Teeth... GO!' is an amazing song as well as title!

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Amazing live band, seen them 3 times, blew me away every show. Lovely guys too, were more than happy to have a beer with me and sign some poo poo.

Also the ginger guitarist looks like Paul Scholes, how cool is that.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
Whoever rec'd The Ascent Of Everest - How Lonely Sits The City, deserves a medal.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Sir Xiphos posted:

Whoever rec'd The Ascent Of Everest - How Lonely Sits The City, deserves a medal.

They should get an award based solely on A Threnody for sampling one of my favourite speeches ever.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

Bagpuss posted:

Yeah, they've already had a bit of love in this thread. I totally agree with everything you said. I saw them play 2000 Trees on Friday and Jesus Christ! I was right at the front and centre and I gave myself whiplash and bruised the poo poo of of my knees and elbows on the barrier as I was rocking out a bit too hard :)

I also saw them and they were one of the highlights of the festival, they totally blew me away. Such amazing energy from the crowd and the band themself. A++++ would dance like a spastic to again.

Old School Tie in the Leaf Lounge were a fantastic way to wake up on Saturday. Again, real energy in the crowd and loving balloons everywhere in a small tent.

Three Trapped Tigers were also amazing, that drummer is some kind of a machine, playing the way he does with no click track or metronome.

65dos disappointed me, the set got cut very short, about 25 minutes by my reckoning and it was mostly newer stuff. It was really quiet too compared to every other set at the festival and I was about 10 rows from the front-centre. Personally, I don't think they're that well suited for festival but maybe I'm just being an idiot or I just caught them on a "bad" set. I say bad, they were still good, I was just left underwhelmed but maybe that's because I've seen them a few times before and each time they got better and better.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I think my album of the year so far is Toundra - II. The second song gives me chills I haven't felt since the first time I listened to EITS and was introduced to post-rock.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

[edit: ^^^ wow that's some good stuff!]

leonje posted:

I also saw them and they were one of the highlights of the festival, they totally blew me away. Such amazing energy from the crowd and the band themself. A++++ would dance like a spastic to again.

Old School Tie in the Leaf Lounge were a fantastic way to wake up on Saturday. Again, real energy in the crowd and loving balloons everywhere in a small tent.

Three Trapped Tigers were also amazing, that drummer is some kind of a machine, playing the way he does with no click track or metronome.

65dos disappointed me, the set got cut very short, about 25 minutes by my reckoning and it was mostly newer stuff. It was really quiet too compared to every other set at the festival and I was about 10 rows from the front-centre. Personally, I don't think they're that well suited for festival but maybe I'm just being an idiot or I just caught them on a "bad" set. I say bad, they were still good, I was just left underwhelmed but maybe that's because I've seen them a few times before and each time they got better and better.
65days set was short, I think it was because they spent too much time loving around with the sound check. Also the whole main stage was 20 minutes late because one of the Three Trapped Tigers guys banged his head so maybe some of that time got 'made up' by cutting down 65days time. I think Radio Protector was the only old track they played. Tiger Girl was amazing though. I always thought that it would be a great festival track.

Bagpuss fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 20, 2010

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Bagpuss posted:

[edit: ^^^ wow that's some good stuff!]

+1

Great find.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
DL'd that Toundra album on a whim. LOVELY stuff.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Machines posted:

One of the best gigs I've had the chance to photograph:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157622548201794/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't know if many of you are fans of El Ten Eleven but they finally put out their original self titled album on vinyl and it's limited to 500 copies.

http://elteneleven.bigcartel.com/product/debut-lp-vinyl

The record loving owns if you didn't know.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
Signal Hill is steaming their new ep here.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Medical posted:

Signal Hill is steaming their new ep here.

They souffled their last album, it will be interesting to hear the difference

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk
Oh poo poo. I made a mental note to keep on top of the Godspeed dates and forgot. Bristol sold out :( edit - hah only on one site. Yay.

Also, how did everyone find the new 65? Apart from Tiger Girl, Come to Me (amazing) and Piano Fights I thought it was a bit of a letdown. Hoping the others come to life a bit more played live.

Ash.W fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 23, 2010

Vormav
Jan 28, 2005
That Toundra album is really good. I looked them up and found that they have some more tracks available for free download on last.fm

http://www.last.fm/music/Toundra

"Medusa" is something else. Great find, Parachute Underwear.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Machines posted:

These guys kick so much rear end - I had them recommended to me about a year ago, and a couple of months ago I was luck enough to catch them at a festival in Brighton. So many of their songs get stuck in my head very easily, and the cohesiveness combined with the odd timings and changes is pretty impressive on a technical level. It's also interesting to see a crowd trying to mosh/headbang to a 5/4 beat.

My tastes run a bit more towards the rockier side of things, and I've been loving the hell out of Russian Circles recently. If anyone's discovered anything along similar lines, I'd appreciate any recommendations.
[edit]I've had a bit of time now to trawl through the thread, and while most of it's pretty cool, I find a lot of it almost painfully slow. Am I just having bad luck picking tracks at random to listen to, or can anyone make me some recommendations?

Anyway, if it hasn't already been done in this thread I'd like to introduce you all to Kasan, who are a bunch of thoroughly good chaps from Germany. Have a listen to Dance of the Platypus and Guernica - they're pretty rocking and infectious. I've seen them a few times live too, and they've never failed to impress.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 26, 2010

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Crazy Achmed posted:

My tastes run a bit more towards the rockier side of things, and I've been loving the hell out of Russian Circles recently. If anyone's discovered anything along similar lines, I'd appreciate any recommendations.
[edit]I've had a bit of time now to trawl through the thread, and while most of it's pretty cool, I find a lot of it almost painfully slow. Am I just having bad luck picking tracks at random to listen to, or can anyone make me some recommendations?

If you've browsed the thread, you probably already saw these posts, but anyway...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2670204&pagenumber=14&perpage=40#post355110035

sisonpyh
Dec 9, 2005

Just the tip LeBron. Just the tip.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Band + (track):

Up-C Down-C Left-C Right-C ABC + Start (McDoomish). Long Distance Calling (Black Paper Planes ). Daturah (Ghost Track ). What the Blood Revealed (Evolution is Not a Theory). Beware of Safety (The Laughter Died). Bossk (Define/Truth) Pelican (The Woods off their original EP).

Let me know if that helps.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

sisonpyh posted:

Up-C Down-C Left-C Right-C ABC + Start (McDoomish

UpC are criminally underrated. ...And the battle is won is a brilliant album that has never really left my rotation. You cant listen to 'Shallows' and *not* rock out.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

joelcamefalling posted:

UpC are criminally underrated. ...And the battle is won is a brilliant album that has never really left my rotation. You cant listen to 'Shallows' and *not* rock out.

I really liked ...And the Battle is Won and Embers had some great tracks on it as well (I highly recommend both of those albums) but I did not care for their latest release at all.

edit for content: I saw TheSilentBallet's review of Enemies - We've Been Talking and it caught my interest because they said they were similar to From Monument to Masses. I went to their myspace, listened to one track "Bits of Parrots" and fell in love right away. You can download that song (as well as another one) here for free: http://www.richtercollective.com/enemies/enemies.html

myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enemiestheband

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 28, 2010

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Anyone catch the Mogwai webshow of Burning?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

WoG posted:

If you've browsed the thread, you probably already saw these posts, but anyway...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2670204&pagenumber=14&perpage=40#post355110035

sisonpyh posted:

Band + (track):

Up-C Down-C Left-C Right-C ABC + Start (McDoomish). Long Distance Calling (Black Paper Planes ). Daturah (Ghost Track ). What the Blood Revealed (Evolution is Not a Theory). Beware of Safety (The Laughter Died). Bossk (Define/Truth) Pelican (The Woods off their original EP).

Let me know if that helps.
Brilliant, thanks - indivudual track recommendations are always great.

While I'm here, let me also recommend Kerretta and Sora Shima, both of whom hail from New Zealand as do Jakob (who was also mentioned on the first page).
Guess where I come from?

I'm not going to attempt to describe these guys too much as I'd probably get the terminology horribly wrong, but listen to these:
Kerretta - Death in the Future, Sleepers, White Lie
Sora Shima - Tornado vs Trailerpark
Jakob - Oran Mor, Ageena, Pneumonic

My first exposure to Jakob, incidentally, was at a new year's festival. The stage was in a clearing in the woods next to the vineyard where the main festival was being held, they had the midnight slot and there were fireworks going off overhead. Amazing ambiance.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
New UpCDownC was awful.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

thehustler posted:

New UpCDownC was awful.

Firewolf? Yeah.

They just finished mastering the new one though, so hopefully its a step back towards Embers.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Bucket Joneses posted:

I don't know if many of you are fans of El Ten Eleven but they finally put out their original self titled album on vinyl and it's limited to 500 copies.

http://elteneleven.bigcartel.com/product/debut-lp-vinyl

The record loving owns if you didn't know.

Just got mine in the mail today, gonna listen to it at home. I saw your post and heard one youtube video song and bought the album immediately, pretty sweet stuff can't wait to sit through the vinyl.

Also, can't wait to see "This will destroy you" again, their poo poo was awesome and I was introduced to them randomly at a live gig on a boring saturday night, they play the freakish weird film 'Begotten' on a projector behind them, so you see this hosed up poo poo happening but you don't know exactly what it is, and their long apocalyptic sweet rear end post rock sounds loud as hell. The minimal stage set up is pretty sweet too, I just loved that show all around, even though I was hung over, in a fight with my girlfriend, and didn't even want to go in the first place.

Check out their tour and if you can go see them, gently caress whoever they're touring with though (i think they play with the Deftones for one leg of the tour? ugh, no offense to fans of the deftones)

RizieN fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 2, 2010

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

RizieN posted:

gently caress whoever they're touring with though

TWDY are playing with Autolux this upcoming tour. I'd definitely recommend Autolux over TWDY any day of the week.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

thehustler posted:

New UpCDownC was awful.

Hardly surprising with an album cover like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sisonpyh
Dec 9, 2005

Just the tip LeBron. Just the tip.
The Ascent of Everest's latest is some of the best poo poo I have ever heard. Dark, Dark My light :swoon:

thehustler posted:

New UpCDownC was awful.

Yup.