Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I just started another playthrough and it has become a real chore to do the starter missions (Bonnie's).

Augh, I have to do those herding and horse-breaking missions again. They weren't so bad the first time but now I wish I could just skip them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
Last night I was riding though Mexico just minding my own ridding on a trail when all of a sudden my horse drops dead. His head tucked down and he fell to the ground like a brick ,his lifeless body crumpled up in the Mexican sun. No one was around so i had to run down the trail for 2 mins looking for someone to steal there horse.

the only thing i could come up with was video horse aneurysm?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think he threw a shoe. I've had the same thing happen, and it only seems to happen to lower-quality horses.

Alternatively, maybe he got bitten by a snake :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mister Bung posted:

...I STILL haven't had the Gentlemans Attire unlock but it's good enough I guess.

If all you need is the Gentleman's Attire, why don't you just go ahead and sign up for the Rockstar Games Social Club to get it? That's all it is, a bonus for joining the Social Club, which also unlocks various challenges you can do in-game that give you special cheat codes.

...I'm not a shill for Rockstar, it just unlocks some cool stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Orcrez posted:

Last night I was riding though Mexico just minding my own ridding on a trail when all of a sudden my horse drops dead. His head tucked down and he fell to the ground like a brick ,his lifeless body crumpled up in the Mexican sun. No one was around so i had to run down the trail for 2 mins looking for someone to steal there horse.

Most likely it was a snake. They are very hard to see and the rattle easily blends in with some of the Mexico music, and they kill horses instantly.

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:

Orcrez posted:

That horse sucks! I hope you skinned him and sold his hide for 3 dollars.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Live performance of "Far Away"

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/jose-gonzalez-red-dead/701975

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009

Earwicker posted:

Most likely it was a snake. They are very hard to see and the rattle easily blends in with some of the Mexico music, and they kill horses instantly.

The funny thing was that my horse was in full gallop when he dropped! :ughh:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Orcrez posted:

The funny thing was that my horse was in full gallop when he dropped! :ughh:

Sometimes if your horse ever gets wounded in a firefight (or, again, bitten by a snake) it's death is delayed for a while. I had one of my horses take half of a shotgun blast to the face and live because I immediately gave it horse pills and an apple. The horse honestly looked like a two-face and it was awesome.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

GenoCanSing posted:

Live performance of "Far Away"

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/jose-gonzalez-red-dead/701975

I think it was a terrible decision to have the two thematic songs stop playing if you got off your horse.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I finally reached 100% last night. It was a long exhausting road, but ultimately satisfying.

The catharsis of being the only one alive in Los Hermanos was bittersweet. *twitch*

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Cometa Rossa posted:

I either end up in games full of griefers hell-bent on cross-map firefights or other ones full of cool dudes who just leave each other alone.

I was doing Nosalida and another guy walked in. Neither of us had a mic, so we just cleared the whole place out together and parted ways without a single word. It was such a badass feeling of unspoken trust, I love it when I see another person without getting shot right away. :3:

I always follow the rule of 'don't fire on other players unless they shoot first'

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Dr.Smasher posted:

I always follow the rule of 'don't fire on other players unless they shoot first'

This seems to be the code of conduct accepted by most players in 90% of the games I've entered.

This is why I have make a point of riding up close to other players and just pointing my gun at them for extended periods of time, yet holding off firing until they retaliate.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

fishtobaskets posted:

I finally reached 100% last night. It was a long exhausting road, but ultimately satisfying.

The catharsis of being the only one alive in Los Hermanos was bittersweet. *twitch*

Survival 10 just confuses me how anyone could bear it, even before I begin to forget which (I guess)herbs on top of the 10 Violet Snowdrops I haven't gotten yet

Jameson-
Apr 1, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Survival 10 just confuses me how anyone could bear it, even before I begin to forget which (I guess)herbs on top of the 10 Violet Snowdrops I haven't gotten yet

It takes 15 minutes with the help of a survivalist map and fast travel.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Survivalist_Challenges#Rank_10:_Collect_10_Violet_Snowdrop_Leaf_then_collect_2_more_of_every_herb_available

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

How are you supposed to kill a cougar with a combat knife? I got lucky getting one that for some reason did nothing but run away from me, but any other just tears me to shreds in a second.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 23, 2010

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dr.Smasher posted:

I normally follow this but if I see that someone has a bounty, hell yes I'm going to hunt them down and collect. I'd expect anyone to do the same for me!

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Just been watching deadwood recently and it's amazing how similiar it is to this game in terms of the overall atmosphere of the west being a loving horrible place

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Shockeh posted:

Push Y (triangle?) when you have the challenge selected, now you won't forget anything.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

bringer posted:

Push Y (triangle?) when you have the challenge selected, now you won't forget anything.

What does that do?

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.
Has anyone been able to complete the Rank 3 Sharpshooter II challenge in multiplayer? You have to kill a bear with a single headshot. I must have gone through two dozen bears charging me without completing it. I think I'm going to try sniping a bear in the head next and see if that works.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HAL9100 posted:

This is why I have make a point of riding up close to other players and just pointing my gun at them for extended periods of time, yet holding off firing until they retaliate.

This is the videogame equivalent of "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you!" with your finger in their face.

Argumentable
Sep 29, 2005

I hate you, Russell Faraday

Dr.Smasher posted:

Everyone I've come across that didn't offer to posse up (except for maybe one) has decided to shoot at me eventually. I did have one guy rush up to me and my pal while we were doing tumbleweed, and my thought was "I don't want this guy loving with us" so I killed him a couple times until it dawned on me that he wasn't trying to kill us (though I swear he shot at me the first time without provocation), so I invited him to our group and we went all went on a weird adventure

It doesn't really help that I've come across maybe 3 people on the PS3 who have a mic and will actually use it for things other than having their TV play back the sounds of the game in an echo.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Noxville posted:

How are you supposed to kill a cougar with a combat knife? I got lucky getting one that for some reason did nothing but run away from me, but any other just tears me to shreds in a second.

How I did it: Shoot it once with the Repeater Carbine, which won't kill it but will put it into its retreating mode. Now equip the knife and chase it down.

Beware the revenge cougar.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Hal Gill username posted:

Beware the revenge cougar.

Words to live by.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The first time I realized there is almost always more than one cougar, it reminded me of Jurassic Park. I had my sights on the cougar just walking around ahead of me. Then I heard something rustling in the grass next to me. I move the camera around to see a cougar running straight at me, then swiping. "Clever girl."

Jameson-
Apr 1, 2010

Noxville posted:

Crows Turn Off posted:

The first time I realized there is almost always more than one cougar, it reminded me of Jurassic Park. I had my sights on the cougar just walking around ahead of me. Then I heard something rustling in the grass next to me. I move the camera around to see a cougar running straight at me, then swiping. "Clever girl."

Use bait. If you attract a cougar with bait, only one will come.

Buy as much bait as you can carry, ride south from Blackwater a bit, camp, and save. Put your back to the river, walk out far enough to place bait where you can get back to the edge in a few seconds. Place the bait and run back to the coast. An animal will always come running at you within 10 seconds. It may not always be a cougar (I think I got boar, deer, and rarely a bear), but it will be a cougar sometimes.

When it charges at you, let it get relatively close, deadeye, and shotgun it in the front leg. I think I used the Evans Repeater. It will immediately recoil and start to run away, but slowly since it's now gimpy. Chase it and knife it to death. If you shoot it too early, or don't get a great shot on the leg, you may have to mount to catch up.

Edit:

CheshireCat posted:

Has anyone been able to complete the Rank 3 Sharpshooter II challenge in multiplayer? You have to kill a bear with a single headshot. I must have gone through two dozen bears charging me without completing it. I think I'm going to try sniping a bear in the head next and see if that works.

In single player, you can use a buffalo (preferred) or bolt action for a head shot, or hit it with Carcano in the head from a distance.

Jameson- fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 23, 2010

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
You can also roll out of the way of the cougar with the X button.

If you can survive the first jump, you're usually golden. Don't be afraid to take some medicine. Then personally I just walked towards the cougar swinging my knife like I was conducting some sort of knife symphony.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

So looks like the people with hacked files may want to replace them...

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/act...res%3Btitle%3B1

quote:

Rockstar Games' Red Dead Redemption has won both critical success and commercial triumph, but the developer recognizes there are lingering issues with the game. Namely, these concerns are in the game's robust multiplayer component, where Rockstar says a few "rotten apples" are attempting to soil the experience for others.

In order to eradicate cheaters from the world of Red Dead Redemption, next month, Rockstar will implement measures to counter hacking and cheating. However, the developer's attempt to rid the world of cheaters started today, with Rockstar promising it won't hesitate to promptly ban offenders for however long the developer deems necessary.

Further, the title update will provide anti-grief measures for the game's Free Roam mode. The developer said those who are being "bullied" will have the option to transport and respawn to any location they wish.

Additionally, those acting as bullies will be branded as such after six consecutive kills, at which point the aggressor will instantly earn Most Wanted status. This mark will alert players that there is a "player-killer" in the region and will also bring the heat from non-player character law enforcement.

Sounds good to me. Those who want to bully and hunt each other can, and the whiners will be able o whine away.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
I don't like the idea of becoming Most Wanted after a half dozen consecutive kills, mostly because there are a lot of would-be griefers that are just terrible at it and I don't want to be punished for killing them when they repeatedly run into my guns.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

GenoCanSing posted:

So looks like the people with hacked files may want to replace them...

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/act...res%3Btitle%3B1

Sounds good to me. Those who want to bully and hunt each other can, and the whiners will be able o whine away.

This is supposed to eradicate griefing in multiplayer? It just makes me want to do it more. You mean I can kill some guys and instantly become Most Wanted, with NPC marshals AND players coming after me? Sign me up.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Noxville posted:

Lasso them to drag them in close then knife them.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the "most wanted" thing for player killers is a great idea.

however I'm not sure I like this thing about how players who "feel bullied" can just teleport anywhere. How do they distinguish who's being bullied? or are they just giving everyone to just teleport away at any time because that'd be terrible

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Earwicker posted:

the "most wanted" thing for player killers is a great idea.

however I'm not sure I like this thing about how players who "feel bullied" can just teleport anywhere. How do they distinguish who's being bullied? or are they just giving everyone to just teleport away at any time because that'd be terrible
I'm guessing if you get killed by the same dude several times in free roam you get an option to change locations not unlike using the travel option in free roam.

I'd prefer an option to send a bunch of bears to bitchslap the griefer into the ocean but this'll do for now.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

actually you know what would be the best DLC of all time?

Bear mode.

In bear mode you are a bear.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Earwicker posted:

Bear mode.

Bears vs Cougars free for all.

Do it now, Rockstar.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Earwicker posted:

Bear mode.

No the best mode would be Bear Tag-team, in which you are a bear and one of your friends is a cowboy who is riding you and you fight (or commit) crime.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Argumentable posted:

It doesn't really help that I've come across maybe 3 people on the PS3 who have a mic and will actually use it for things other than having their TV play back the sounds of the game in an echo.

Yea, my friend and I played in random quick matches and co-ops last night for about three hours and he and I were the only two the entire time with a mic. I honestly have no idea why more people don't use them.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Multiplayer, Free Roam. Master Hunter II Level 3. I'm hunting the Jaguar in Tall Trees. Oh, excuse me, it's actually called....

COUGARGEDDON

Jesus. loving. Christ. TEN?? Yeah, I can kill ten. It's the other loving thirty of them getting me that's the problem. I almost want the top of that cabin to be reachable with a mounted machine gun so it's a fair fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsupervised Horse
Apr 10, 2009

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Multiplayer, Free Roam. Master Hunter II Level 3. I'm hunting the Jaguar in Tall Trees. Oh, excuse me, it's actually called....

COUGARGEDDON

Jesus. loving. Christ. TEN?? Yeah, I can kill ten. It's the other loving thirty of them getting me that's the problem. I almost want the top of that cabin to be reachable with a mounted machine gun so it's a fair fight.
I had so much trouble with this so I sympathise with you. I tried running around picking them off only to get dragged down into the snow and mauled to death, and when I tried standing on top of the log stack by the porch the little fuckers would use some weird loving Cougar Death Touch on my foot. I eventually did it by taking cover under the porch next to the stack of logs. It's like hiding in one of the ruined cabins for the waves-of-bears challenge, except one or two cougars might still be able to get at you.

• Locked thread