Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Phat_Albert posted:

The oil light comes on because when the bike stalls the oil pressure drops to 0. that light is telling you is that there isnt any oil pressure when the engine isnt running, which is normal.

You have other issues to solve besides oil.

Ah okay, thanks.
Dammit haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ChiTownEddie posted:

How easy is it to change the oil?
Sounds like a silly question but I've never done any maintenance on my car or anything before. This bike I just bought when I tried to start it this morning after a few days of not touching it (darn you work!) it would catch for like 15seconds then turn off and the oil light comes on. I imagine since I don't know what type of oil was in there I should drain whatever might be in there before putting new oil in, right? God I really hope thats the problem and there is nothing larger. It totally ran fine when I got it :(

What kind of bike again? Do you have the choke on? Is the gas turned off? Do you have gas in it?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Doctor Zero posted:

What kind of bike again? Do you have the choke on? Is the gas turned off? Do you have gas in it?

'83 Nighthawk 550, Yes, No, Yes*

*I hear some gas in it (literally just got this monday and haven't put any in myself), but it does seem low so I was going to grab a cannister and put another gallon in when I got home to see if that was it. I was trying to start it on reserve though so I figured even if it was lowish it would still be fine...

I figure this is too vague but it would catch almost immediately then die within 5seconds, then not catch for a few attempts, then catch for 10-15s then die.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That sounds like low fuel to me. Especially if it was running great, and now wont start at all.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Phat_Albert posted:

That sounds like low fuel to me. Especially if it was running great, and now wont start at all.

Haha okay. Sorry about the panic, new rider, "new" bike. I definitely freaked. Thanks guys :)

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Alastor posted:

I'm a goon in Denver.

My uncle and brother both joined a Marine Corps biker club on me, those fuckers.

I'm military too, but I passed the ASVAB so I went into another branch.

My uncle and brother said they let other vets come along, but other branches don't get full patches and never get voting rights. They also don't get to go to every function.

Also, there's this whole thing about how I can barely stand the two Marines I love, much less 50 of them for extended road trips.

In other words, "gently caress that."

So I'm left on my own now, with no riding partners. My uncle and my brother spend most of their time at their new illiteracy club.

I've been invited to ride with some guys, but I haven't done so yet.

I was wondering if there's a goons on gears or something that exists. Is there a goons MC? If not, should we start one?

I live in Denver and ride all the time, send me a PM if you'd like to go for a ride sometime.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Haha okay. Sorry about the panic, new rider, "new" bike. I definitely freaked. Thanks guys :)

Once you get it running, always fill up your bike to full, and reset your trip odometer. When you next get gas, fill up and determine your mileage. Take that, multiply it by your tank capacity (may have to look it up) and then you can figure out your range. Then use your odometer as a "gas gauge."

Bikes typically get somewhere around 200 miles to a tank, but it varies widely by model and riding style. The more you fill up, the more accurate your range can be figured.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd kill for 200 mile range, my bike hits 'fuel low' at ~110mi, and that is down 1, up 2 so about 10% off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Bandit hits it at 110 miles too. The RV90 hits it at about 50, but its only a 1/2 gallon tank :smug:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd kill for 200 mile range, my bike hits 'fuel low' at ~110mi, and that is down 1, up 2 so about 10% off.

Having just done the range math for a CX500 Deluxe, you have to decide if you want to include reserve in the calculation, in which case the CX would exceed 200 handily. Reserve on down should remain a paper exercise, because you never want to find out the true number.

The rule of thumb is this: if a life-size portrait of Vincent Price will fit on your tank, you can get from one end of the country to the other in six stops :)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

The rule of thumb is this: if a life-size portrait of Vincent Price will fit on your tank, you can get from one end of the country to the other in six stops :)

YES! (fist pumps)

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I love having a fuel level indicator that is accurate. Although it's backwards. What happens is when I get to 1 gallon left, it starts flashing "0.0 Gallons". THen when .9 gallons are left, it flashes "0.1 Gallons". When it's at .3 gallons left, it flashes "0.7 Gallons". Is this how the latest CBR 1000s are supposed to work or did someone wire the doodad to the hoodicky wrong?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

I love having a fuel level indicator that is accurate. Although it's backwards. What happens is when I get to 1 gallon left, it starts flashing "0.0 Gallons". THen when .9 gallons are left, it flashes "0.1 Gallons". When it's at .3 gallons left, it flashes "0.7 Gallons". Is this how the latest CBR 1000s are supposed to work or did someone wire the doodad to the hoodicky wrong?

So essentially it's counting up how much of your reserve you've used. Do you have a manual to verify this is what it's supposed to do?

Incongruous
Feb 11, 2003

Now there's something you don't see every day!
I bought a 2005 Yamaha Virago 250 as my first bike a few weeks ago and have been enjoying riding it with no real issues. Until today. I was riding it around when all of a sudden it died while I was at a stop. When I tried restarting it, it tried to start but didn't catch. I finally got it to start by holding the clutch in and giving it some throttle. But anytime I released the throttle, the bike would stall. When riding it home, it would sort-of sputter and buck a little at speeds of about 10-15mph. I checked the gas level and there was still gas in the tank.

I've tried looking through my owners manual, but it's pretty unhelpful. Any suggestions?

Incongruous fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 24, 2010

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.
Okay.

No, seriously. There are 143,000 goons.

How come we don't have a motorcycle group?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Geography. Half the posters in CA are from the UK/Scandinavia/Australia.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's a stupid, childish, goony, gibbisy thing to do but I would buy a sticker with a cool CA logo. Maybe even a patch. Hell I already rock ADV stickers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

Geography. Half the posters in CA are from the UK/Scandinavia/Australia.
But half of the rest are in California.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
Also, we all hate each other with the passion of a thousand flaming suns. It's only our deep need to talk about SVs and what Z3n's up to that keeps us here.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

OrangeFurious posted:

Also, we all hate each other with the passion of a thousand flaming suns.

gently caress you.

:v:

BigMcLargeHuge
Mar 26, 2010
Alright, I've got a question about a stubborn bolt. The drain plug for the final drive on my '78 XS750 just spins and spins when I'm trying to remove and replace it. There is a leak coming from either this plug or god knows whatever else is back there that could be leaking. Regardless, I'm stuck with this drat bolt. Any ideas for removal or for another place right in this area that could be leaking? If it's not the plug that's leaking, it has to be directly above it because nothing else is wet and the only wet spot on my garage floor is directly under this plug.

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.
I'm getting a 2010 Harley Davidson Cross Bones.

I want to learn everything about this bike that I can so that I can do most work on it with confidence on my own. It's kind of important to me personally that I be able to work on my own bike.

The problem is that I am completely behind the times on bikes. I've never had one this advanced and even when I had my most advanced bike it was a Yamaha and it wasn't fuel injected.

So where does someone like me go to learn everything they can about this particular bike (Cross Bones 2009)?

An idiot's guide or something would be great. I would deem myself an entry-level (read, "knows not a damned thing") bike mechanic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Buy a cheap project and fix it up. That'll teach you way more about bikes. Your harley will basically run on it's own (change the oil!) for quite awhile. Unless you're putting 20k a year on the bike, chances are you'll need to know very little about actually working on it.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Why are you getting a Harley Davidson Cross Bones?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MotoMind posted:

Because he likes the bike. Shaddap.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Because he likes the bike. Shaddap.

Sorry, I was going to suggest he get a KLR instead.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MotoMind posted:

Sorry, I was going to suggest he get a KLR instead.

Well his question was how to learn to wrench, not what bike to buy. I just don't want CA to turn into YCS when someone says "Harley."

Having said that, and thinking more on it, if it's a brand new bike, you're going to be on warranty, so unless it's maintenance or putting something aftermarket on it, most problems should involve the dealer, at least till the warranty runs out. If he wants to learn wrenching, yeah, a beater is a better idea.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Ghost of Razgriz posted:

Y'all talking about flushing the brake fluid makes me curious. What's a reasonable time frame for replacement? Depends on use, I'm sure. Or is it more a "check it and replace if needed you idiot" type thing?

If you have a bike with ABS, yearly is good, otherwise every couple years is OK-but I do my bikes yearly anyway. A bike doesn't have the reserve margin of error a car would.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I was more driven by the disconnect between his choice of bike and his stated personal values, than by the innate desire to recommend that every man, woman, and child ride a KLR.

But if the OP insists on working on his own pirate ship, I would recommend contacting the Harley Davidson dealer to see if a service manual is available for that model of motorcycle. If available, the OP should review the manual for clarity, as manufacturer manuals are generally much less verbose than third-party manuals such as Clymer. HD may be an exception.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

It's a stupid, childish, goony, gibbisy thing to do but I would buy a sticker with a cool CA logo. Maybe even a patch. Hell I already rock ADV stickers.

I've still got pig relay patches...who's bright idea was it to put "2008" on them...because that poo poo is SERIOUSLY out of date now. :v:

OrangeFurious posted:

Also, we all hate each other with the passion of a thousand flaming suns. It's only our deep need to talk about SVs and what Z3n's up to that keeps us here.

:arghfist::3:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Was that pig relay seriously two years ago? Jesus gently caress I'm getting old fast.

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.

MotoMind posted:

What Doctor Zero said.

Also, since you asked why I like this bike...

I gotta confess, it's the aesthetics and the rebellious nature of the bike. Even now that I'm a "big boy" and have a real job and college degrees and all that crap, I still find that while not a disruption, I'm definitely a rebel and a lone wolf in my life. I prefer solitude and character over abundance and flights of fancy. It's a sophisticated bike with an intelligent bad attitude.

This bike just kind of spoke to me from the style. It's got the softail frame, gears, and engine, and it rides accordingly (read "superbly"). It's also got the fat tires and the rugged look, like it's built for the street but could easily handle going off road if needed.

It's got the solo seat standard, which I really appreciate because I don't take passengers anyway. Either on my bike or in my life.

I also really dig the color of the bike (the Black Ice Denim). Satin finished, not glossy, and changes depending on perspective - like me.

Additionally, I can add an extended seat if I want, get a sissy bar, windshield, and saddle bags. This bike seems like it would do fine on long road trips if properly equipped for comfort. So while it appears very minimalistic it's easily converted for a much more arduous journey if I want to go that rout. This too is a lot like me.

Oh, also it's a fundamentally sound motorcycle that is very well constructed and seems to be on the cutting edge of technology while sporting that appreciation for history.

It's smart, it's bad, it's an appreciation for history, it's gentle but rebellious and dangerous, smooth but more than capable of getting rough. It's scary and it's inviting, intriguing and thrilling, intelligent and violent.

This bike is "neither stupid nor tame."

It's me on two wheels.

That's why I like this bike.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Whelp, when you type 'large something awful logo' into GIS, you get a picture of backpanthers cock.

This must be why we have no sticker.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alastor posted:

It's me on two wheels.

:golfclap:

I approve

Did you copy-paste that from the HD website?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alastor posted:

I've never had one this advanced

quote:

on the cutting edge of technology while sporting that appreciation for history.

I've read the specs on that bike a couple of times now and i don't see cutting edge or advanced anywhere.I know it has EFI but apart from thats its just an air cooled v-twin.
In terms of wrenching on it it'll be mostly the same as any other bike, if anything efi bikes are probably less hassle than carbed bikes. Get a clymer/factory manual and get stuck in.

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.

echomadman posted:

I've read the specs on that bike a couple of times now and i don't see cutting edge or advanced anywhere.I know it has EFI but apart from thats its just an air cooled v-twin.
In terms of wrenching on it it'll be mostly the same as any other bike, if anything efi bikes are probably less hassle than carbed bikes. Get a clymer/factory manual and get stuck in.

Let me rephrase.

"For a Harley, it's advanced."

The Springer front end in particular. I'm also modding the exhausts. I'll be doing a 2 to 1 set of Screaming Eagle pipes and I'll have to change the air system to match it. I'll need to re-tune it all to get it firing right for that type of pipe system.

I don't want to just change the pipes but not do the necessary calibrations in the engine to make it function correctly. I've seen people do that and then they're unhappy with how their bike performs.

"Well, duh. It's not the Bike's fault. You mess with that stuff, you need to adjust the other parts of the bike too."

So I have to do that right out the gate, because I don't want to be one of those guys that's unhappy with my bike and then I blame the bike for my own damned laziness.

Kitten Pot Pie
Oct 23, 2006

Don't be a creepy stoic mugglehead.
I recently brought my KDX 200 out of storage. Chipmunks decided part of the seat foam I left uncovered for upholstering looked like good nesting material for a home they built inside my air box. I tried to start the bike before realizing this and can't get it started now. I cleaned the carb and put mostly new gas in. I don't know anything about engines. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there rodent nest throughout my entire engine? None of the nest was in the carb.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's entirely possible that rodents have gnawed on the wiring as well. Make sure you have spark.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alastor posted:

Let me rephrase.

"For a Harley, it's advanced."

The Springer front end in particular. I'm also modding the exhausts. I'll be doing a 2 to 1 set of Screaming Eagle pipes and I'll have to change the air system to match it. I'll need to re-tune it all to get it firing right for that type of pipe system.

Unless Harley did something I don't know about, springer front ends are super old school design. Retuning isn't much more than "buy Power Commander with fuel map, plug in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alastor posted:

What Doctor Zero said.

Also, since you asked why I like this bike...

I gotta confess, it's the aesthetics and the rebellious nature of the bike. Even now that I'm a "big boy" and have a real job and college degrees and all that crap, I still find that while not a disruption, I'm definitely a rebel and a lone wolf in my life. I prefer solitude and character over abundance and flights of fancy. It's a sophisticated bike with an intelligent bad attitude.

This bike just kind of spoke to me from the style. It's got the softail frame, gears, and engine, and it rides accordingly (read "superbly"). It's also got the fat tires and the rugged look, like it's built for the street but could easily handle going off road if needed.

It's got the solo seat standard, which I really appreciate because I don't take passengers anyway. Either on my bike or in my life.

I also really dig the color of the bike (the Black Ice Denim). Satin finished, not glossy, and changes depending on perspective - like me.

Additionally, I can add an extended seat if I want, get a sissy bar, windshield, and saddle bags. This bike seems like it would do fine on long road trips if properly equipped for comfort. So while it appears very minimalistic it's easily converted for a much more arduous journey if I want to go that rout. This too is a lot like me.

Oh, also it's a fundamentally sound motorcycle that is very well constructed and seems to be on the cutting edge of technology while sporting that appreciation for history.

It's smart, it's bad, it's an appreciation for history, it's gentle but rebellious and dangerous, smooth but more than capable of getting rough. It's scary and it's inviting, intriguing and thrilling, intelligent and violent.

This bike is "neither stupid nor tame."

It's me on two wheels.

*Double clicks harley_marketing_blurb_generator.exe*

*Pastes results into Cycle Asylum*

The purchase of this bike has added one more wolf to my wolf pack :spergin: