Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Parantumaton posted:

Strumpy: Looks cool, although all your operations are flipped horizontally - every graphics program that uses nodes for content manipulation/creation (no matter the exact type or field of appliance) has inputs on the left and outputs on the right. But I'd assume that's not a big thing and maybe you can even add a toggle for it in settings or something.

They go both ways. You can see right-to-left in Unreal Engine's material editor, or Darktree.

You can see left-to-right in Blender's material nodes and Maya's shading networks.

Of course there's also top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top. This is not something that should cause anything but the most minor discomfort anyway; you're not going to go "oh poo poo which direction is output again?" even if you're switching between applications constantly, because your high-level understanding of the network is going to focus on the edges, which will quickly discover the root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

The Wizard of Oz posted:

They go both ways. You can see right-to-left in Unreal Engine's material editor, or Darktree.

You can see left-to-right in Blender's material nodes and Maya's shading networks.

Of course there's also top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top. This is not something that should cause anything but the most minor discomfort anyway; you're not going to go "oh poo poo which direction is output again?" even if you're switching between applications constantly, because your high-level understanding of the network is going to focus on the edges, which will quickly discover the root.

:D This. There is also the advantage that if you want to make your graph bigger you do not have to move all the nodes to have more room on the left. It makes more sense to me to have the graph expanding and growing to the right.

I could easily add a toggle though that flips the node sides. That would be tres easy actually.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

tunah posted:

Add a fart/cowbell/vuvuzela button?

All of the above, I'd say.

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa

The Wizard of Oz posted:

Some additional examples of the variants I can think of:

Top to down: Apple Shake, SideFX Houdini

Left to right: Softimage ICE and XSI, Digital Fusion, Lightwave 3D

And special bonus, down to top: Werkkzeug

and from everywhere to everywhere: Foundry Nuke.

In any case, the industry seems to favor mostly top->down and left->right so it might be easier to just go with those two or go the Nuke way and have it available to every direction.

Da Gaspodin
May 2, 2006

boxSpin(time);
I've been working on a Processing.js prototyping page lately.

It's basically a test bench for graphical effects featuring the whole Processing.js API and a gallery feature for saving your work / improving on somebody else's code. It's all anonymous and uncredited. :)

http://low.fi/~visy/processing_js/proto

Example effects:

http://low.fi/~visy/processing_js/proto/index.php?gallery=b57f52f7353bc6c1a85930d456d63e46
http://low.fi/~visy/processing_js/proto/index.php?gallery=910adbddfafd25157a840311733233de
http://low.fi/~visy/processing_js/proto/index.php?gallery=60b2106a641d4beb1cdaadb8af3a3e2e

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Da Gaspodin fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 13, 2010

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

That's fantastic, i'll be using it alot as a means of testing background effects that I can then translate into whatever language/engine i'm using at the time. Thanks a lot!

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
I tried making munching sqaures for it but it's brutally slow because I suck :(

code:
for(int y = 0; y < height; y++)
{
	for(int x = 0; x < width; x++)
	{
		int t = frameCount;	

if((x ^ y) < t)
			set(x, y, color(x ^ 255, y ^ 255, t));
		else
			set(x, y, #000000);		
	}
}

Da Gaspodin
May 2, 2006

boxSpin(time);

slovach posted:

I tried making munching sqaures for it but it's brutally slow because I suck :(

code:
for(int y = 0; y < height; y++)
{
	for(int x = 0; x < width; x++)
	{
		int t = frameCount;	

if((x ^ y) < t)
			set(x, y, color(x ^ 255, y ^ 255, t));
		else
			set(x, y, #000000);		
	}
}

Definitely don't use set to set pixels, use rect and scale up your effect resolution!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Da Gaspodin posted:

I've been working on a Processing.js prototyping page lately.

It's basically a test bench for graphical effects featuring the whole Processing.js API and a gallery feature for saving your work / improving on somebody else's code. It's all anonymous and uncredited. :)

http://low.fi/~visy/processing_js/proto

Example effects:

http://low.fi/~visy/processing_js/proto/index.php?gallery=b57f52f7353bc6c1a85930d456d63e46
http://low.fi/~visy/processing_js/proto/index.php?gallery=910adbddfafd25157a840311733233de
http://low.fi/~visy/processing_js/proto/index.php?gallery=60b2106a641d4beb1cdaadb8af3a3e2e

A friend of mine did a similar hack, bolting processing.js to etherpad http://ethasketch.com/hNIviqLlWs

Da Gaspodin
May 2, 2006

boxSpin(time);

tef posted:

A friend of mine did a similar hack, bolting processing.js to etherpad http://ethasketch.com/hNIviqLlWs
That is sweet. I've never heard of EtherPad before but it looks great, I love the instant visual feedback.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it's on github, too http://github.com/Norgg/etherprocessing

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in coding horrors. A client had already signed off on a print design and they wanted it on the web within a week (including testing, etc.). This design involved horizontally scrolling by clicking on arrows within a non-rectangular shape...

...a photo of two hands and they wanted drop-shadows from the hands on the text below that was scrolling. Also the text might have hyperlinks, and they might want to select the text too. Obviously a PNG overlay would look right but you couldn't interact with the text below so I chopped up the PNG (using CSS sprites) into about 30 parts. It's the most horrible thing I've ever done :(

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 26, 2010

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
O-U-C-H

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The hands remind me of goatse but it's much, much worse.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in coding horrors.

You picked the wrong thread.

Anjin
Feb 25, 2001

This is a new web app that my small company has just soft launched called https://www.utsup.com:

It allows project managers to track what people using the git project repository are doing in near real-time. No more having to ask, "what are you working on?" It makes it really easy to monitor a team of people just by tying in a private twitter account to see all the updates come in through a constant stream.

Anjin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 27, 2010

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really enjoy reading this thread. I do hardware mostly now but watching you guys helping each other out is really great and inspiring. Hopefully I'll crank through some fun stuff the rest of the year and contribute something.

Doh004 posted:

Creating my biggest project yet in Django. It's an online Portal for my fraternity. I already have a working version with quite terrible PHP, so Django is just incredible. I'm still getting used to it, but things are already coming together.

Hey, another brother! I remember in a CS class I took at school we made an electronic test file that you could load PDFs and images up and organize by class, department, professor, etc. After the presentation the professor commented how he can no clue that people kept old tests around and that he should probably start changing them up :v:

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!
During an 8-hour bus ride to get home for Christmas last December I wrote an App Engine app in Java to simulate playing a game of war. Well, since one game doesn't take very long, I had it simulate 100 of them.

Last week, I randomly decided to rewrite it in Python, with tracking of lifetime stats using a sharded counter.

And so I present to you: 100 Games of War

Funny thing is, depite the fact that the game should be even, Player 2 has managed to take a bit of a lead, about 1000 games out of the ~100k they've played so far.

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

Anjin posted:

This is a new web app that my small company has just soft launched called https://www.utsup.com:

It allows project managers to track what people using the git project repository are doing in near real-time. No more having to ask, "what are you working on?" It makes it really easy to monitor a team of people just by tying in a private twitter account to see all the updates come in through a constant stream.

Wow, I really like this idea (and the name). Makes me want to dust off my poor neglected github account just so I can use this.

Edit: The font in the "sort by" hover things at the top of the page (once you log in) is pretty hard to read without antialiasing, for me at least. I can tell what they say, but sometimes only in context. Like I don't think I would ever guess "merged" said that instead of something gibberish like "in orged" if it weren't on a site about version control.

Supervillin fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 29, 2010

Anjin
Feb 25, 2001

Supervillin posted:

Wow, I really like this idea (and the name). Makes me want to dust off my poor neglected github account just so I can use this.

Edit: The font in the "sort by" hover things at the top of the page (once you log in) is pretty hard to read without antialiasing, for me at least. I can tell what they say, but sometimes only in context. Like I don't think I would ever guess "merged" said that instead of something gibberish like "in orged" if it weren't on a site about version control.

Hmm what browser / OS are you using? I'll take a look. Thanks also for the compliments! We made it for ourselves for dealing with remote contractors and figured other people might find it useful.

Id4ever
Dec 2, 2004
Wordfeud - a multiplayer Scrabble like game for Android

I've been working on this for the past few months. Features include two board styles (normal and random), English and Norwegian dictionaries (support for other languages are also planned), and integrated chat.

It's getting close to release, but as this is my first ever Android application it's probably still a little rough in places. I've only been able to test it in the emulator and on my HTC Desire. I'd very much appreciate if anyone here would like to try it out before I release it on the Android Market. You can download it at http://wordfeud.com/media/android/WordfeudFree.apk, (the game is now live in the market) or by scanning the QR code below:

PS! I recommend that you go into Settings (click the menu button from the main screen) and activate background notifications. That way you'll be notified whenever it's your turn to make a move.

I've set up a discussion group at http://groups.google.com/group/wordfeud

Edit: Removed link to apk since the game is now live in the Android Market. I also set up a UserVoice page for feedback (thanks for the suggestion Sebbe) here: http://wordfeud.uservoice.com/

Id4ever fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 2, 2010

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
My N1 says there's a problem parsing this package. Froyo, FRF91.

Id4ever
Dec 2, 2004

crazysim posted:

My N1 says there's a problem parsing this package. Froyo, FRF91.

Thanks, I hadn't tested it with 2.2. I think I managed to fix the problem, at least I can't reproduce it in the emulator anymore. I've uploaded v0.9.1 to the same URL as above.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Hed posted:

Hey, another brother! I remember in a CS class I took at school we made an electronic test file that you could load PDFs and images up and organize by class, department, professor, etc. After the presentation the professor commented how he can no clue that people kept old tests around and that he should probably start changing them up :v:

Haha yeah, hadn't even thought to put our backwork online...

In regards to my project, I'm taking a break from it because once I started, I kept on coming up with more and more ideas for it. I feel I need to sit down for a week or two and start writing up some sort of business/tech doc to organize and prioritize everything.

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

Id4ever posted:

It's getting close to release, but as this is my first ever Android application it's probably still a little rough in places. I've only been able to test it in the emulator and on my HTC Desire. I'd very much appreciate if anyone here would like to try it out before I release it on the Android Market.

There aren't many people playing, right? I tried to join a random game and it said it might take awhile (although I'm inclined to think it might take -forever-). Some sort of feedback mechanism might be nice to let the user know when this is the case. I then picked the option to play with a friend, and it showed ALL my email contacts -- not just the ones I actually have in my phone. This was sort of strange, because it was bringing up people I never communicate with.

Id4ever
Dec 2, 2004

digital-entropy posted:

There aren't many people playing, right? I tried to join a random game and it said it might take awhile (although I'm inclined to think it might take -forever-). Some sort of feedback mechanism might be nice to let the user know when this is the case. I then picked the option to play with a friend, and it showed ALL my email contacts -- not just the ones I actually have in my phone. This was sort of strange, because it was bringing up people I never communicate with.

If you enter the settings screen (press the MENU button to access it), you can activate background notifications. This will notify you when an opponent has been found for you.

As for the friend list, I'll see if I can find some way of filtering out contacts for which you only have the email address. Most likely these contacts are people you've sent an email to or received an email from some time in the past. I think there's an option in gmail that automatically adds all recipients / senders to your contact list, and they have probably been imported to your phone as well.

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

Id4ever posted:

If you enter the settings screen (press the MENU button to access it), you can activate background notifications. This will notify you when an opponent has been found for you.

As for the friend list, I'll see if I can find some way of filtering out contacts for which you only have the email address. Most likely these contacts are people you've sent an email to or received an email from some time in the past. I think there's an option in gmail that automatically adds all recipients / senders to your contact list, and they have probably been imported to your phone as well.

Yeah, what I mean is that you're showing me a lot more than the list of contacts that I see when I open the Android Phone application.

Id4ever
Dec 2, 2004

digital-entropy posted:

Yeah, what I mean is that you're showing me a lot more than the list of contacts that I see when I open the Android Phone application.

Yeah, after googling a bit I think I've found how you're supposed to query the Contacts API so that you only get the set of contacts that's shown by the built in Contacts application.

I'll fix this tomorrow. Thanks for reporting it.

Edit: fixed now, v0.9.3 uploaded to same location.

Id4ever fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 30, 2010

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

Id4ever posted:

Yeah, after googling a bit I think I've found how you're supposed to query the Contacts API so that you only get the set of contacts that's shown by the built in Contacts application.

I'll fix this tomorrow. Thanks for reporting it.

Edit: fixed now, v0.9.3 uploaded to same location.

Some other thoughts:

App doesn't respond to phone orientation changes. Even if you can't do that on the game board, doing it for chat might be nice.

Chat doesn't seem to be designed to work with a phone with a physical keyboard. I can enter characters in but pressing return does nothing -- I had to manually tap the send button.

Score was really tiny and hard to see. When you double-tap to zoom out of the board there's some room at the top -- maybe in that mode you could stick the current scores up there?

OK, that's all I can think of for now.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Id4ever posted:

Wordfeud - a multiplayer Scrabble like game for Android

I've set up a discussion group at http://groups.google.com/group/wordfeud

Lovely. Do you have some sort of public bug tracker or UserVoice page, maybe, for feature suggestions and such?

Id4ever
Dec 2, 2004

digital-entropy posted:

Some other thoughts:

App doesn't respond to phone orientation changes. Even if you can't do that on the game board, doing it for chat might be nice.

Chat now supports landscape orientation.

digital-entropy posted:

Chat doesn't seem to be designed to work with a phone with a physical keyboard. I can enter characters in but pressing return does nothing -- I had to manually tap the send button.

Fixed this one too. Pressing the enter key on both virtual and physical keyboards will now send the message.

digital-entropy posted:

Score was really tiny and hard to see. When you double-tap to zoom out of the board there's some room at the top -- maybe in that mode you could stick the current scores up there?

I left the location of the scores as is, but increased the font size slightly.

Sebbe posted:

Lovely. Do you have some sort of public bug tracker or UserVoice page, maybe, for feature suggestions and such?

Not yet, but I'll definitely put up some kind of feature suggestion tool on wordfeud.com when I have time. That UserVoice thing seems nice.

Id4ever fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 31, 2010

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Id4ever posted:

Not yet, but I'll definitely put up some kind of feature suggestion tool on wordfeud.com when I have time. That UserVoice thing seems nice.

Mmkay. :)

A few suggestions here, then:

A tile count would be pretty good towards the end of the game.

Maybe color the tiles you're currently placing a bit differently so they're easier to tell apart from the ones that've been played?

Remembering which friends have the game would be pretty useful; maybe an ingame-friendslist or something?

The game occasionally pops into focus for no apparent reason. (On 2.1; Hero)

Ability to invite people who don't currently have the app?

Id4ever
Dec 2, 2004

Sebbe posted:

Mmkay. :)

A few suggestions here, then:

A tile count would be pretty good towards the end of the game.

I'm not sure what you mean, there's already a count of how many tiles are left in the bag (right below the scores). Do you mean how many tiles your opponent has left?

Sebbe posted:

Maybe color the tiles you're currently placing a bit differently so they're easier to tell apart from the ones that've been played?

Remembering which friends have the game would be pretty useful; maybe an ingame-friendslist or something?

Ability to invite people who don't currently have the app?

Already on the TODO list :)

Sebbe posted:

The game occasionally pops into focus for no apparent reason. (On 2.1; Hero)

Dang, this is no good. Do you have background notifications enabled?

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Id4ever posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, there's already a count of how many tiles are left in the bag (right below the scores). Do you mean how many tiles your opponent has left?
Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant.

quote:

Dang, this is no good. Do you have background notifications enabled?

Yup.

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

Anjin posted:

Hmm what browser / OS are you using? I'll take a look.

Chrome 5 on Win 7:

emonkey
Jun 30, 2007

Strumpy posted:

:D This. There is also the advantage that if you want to make your graph bigger you do not have to move all the nodes to have more room on the left. It makes more sense to me to have the graph expanding and growing to the right.

I could easily add a toggle though that flips the node sides. That would be tres easy actually.

I have some experience with the unreal editor in a production environment. There are a few things you should do to future proof it if you haven't done it:

1. Make a 'code' node where you can type in whatever you want and have it figure out inputs. GPU's are getting more powerful all the time and a 300 instruction count shader built with add and multiply nodes gets old fast.

2. Support instancing code somehow, often artists want to create a lighting system once and not have to rehook up 30 nodes.

3. Ensure copy/paste and undo/redo work.

If I were to write a material node editor from scratch my base node would be the 'code' node, all nodes would be saved instances of this. So the 'Add' node would be code that looks like "return $A + $B" etc. An entire material with 'input' nodes could be reduced to a code block so you could create your 'base lighting' node in the node editor and then place it into your 'wood04' material and hook up the textures you want.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

emonkey posted:

I have some experience with the unreal editor in a production environment. There are a few things you should do to future proof it if you haven't done it:

1. Make a 'code' node where you can type in whatever you want and have it figure out inputs. GPU's are getting more powerful all the time and a 300 instruction count shader built with add and multiply nodes gets old fast.

2. Support instancing code somehow, often artists want to create a lighting system once and not have to rehook up 30 nodes.

If I were to write a material node editor from scratch my base node would be the 'code' node, all nodes would be saved instances of this. So the 'Add' node would be code that looks like "return $A + $B" etc. An entire material with 'input' nodes could be reduced to a code block so you could create your 'base lighting' node in the node editor and then place it into your 'wood04' material and hook up the textures you want.

Under the hood they are all written in a very simple API so it's easy to add / extend new nodes. I prefer this type safety on the nodes as it is clear to anyone looking at / using the graph what is happening. Adding 'code' nodes hides details from being clearly in view from just looking at the graph. I do understand what you are saying, but to me the point of the graph editor is so that you do not need to 'code'. It's a tool for artists, not for programmers. Maybe it's just the artists I have worked with in the past, but they do not want the ability to enter any code. It also means that it's possible to write a bad shader by entering bad code. This was one of the big requirements I put on the project, you should not be able to create invalid shaders. It adds confusion.

I guess my point is: It's so easy to add new nodes that it seems silly to me to have a 'code' node.

quote:

You are looking at this from a very unreal engine perspective. Unity handles shader / materials quite differently to unreal. This outputs a pure 'shader'. When you plugin a shader to a material it is an instance. So there is no need to create a specific instance ect like in unreal. It's a much simpler and easy to use system in my opinion.

quote:

3. Ensure copy/paste and undo/redo work.
Yep, I have not done this yes. And I know it's very important.

All that being said I'm releasing the beta sometime this week. Here is a video of it in action:
http://www.vimeo.com/13825713

stramit fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 3, 2010

emonkey
Jun 30, 2007

Strumpy posted:

This was one of the big requirements I put on the project, you should not be able to create invalid shaders. It adds confusion.

You should still be able to create shaders without programming, I am not saying you only make a code node available. I think the node based editor is a great introduction to programming, since they are programming they just don't know it. Eventually once they get used to the system and tired of hooking up 15 nodes to accomplish common tasks the code node is somewhat of a revelation at how simple it is.

Also in the near future shaders with 1000k instructions or more will be feasible to create. What does this mean for node editors? It means hooking up more and more powerful nodes, and if you don't have the flexibility to create these nodes it will be a problem.

quote:

I guess my point is: It's so easy to add new nodes that it seems silly to me to have a 'code' node.

Well it will require a constant support commitment from you.

You forget a 'normalize' node? They need a mask node? They want an rgb->luminance node because they use it all the time? They add a new feature in the next hlsl? You can never predict these things. All of these require immediate support from you or people start looking for a different tool that can do the job.

Also you could still have verification with the code node, you just compile it and see if it fails, and then compile all the child nodes recursively until you find the node that breaks.

edit: I don't mean to come off as overly critical, I just have thought about it a lot after being stuck with the unreal node editor.

emonkey fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 4, 2010

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains
Stumpy, I just want to say that your shader editor looks really cool. It's always interesting to see these types of editors to create code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raspi
Jul 26, 2006
I started project for adding effects to images easily with like $foo->fxDropshadow()->fxReflection().

Click here for the full 622x1724 image.