Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laex
Sep 24, 2007
Wilden, in my Dark Sun? no thanks :colbert:

I was expecting more alternate builds, then again with themes many possible alternate builds are covered (poison bard, gladiator and so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I really like how that Warlock at-will can be used melee touch.

2 weeks!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I think that I made the mistake of conflating my experiences with Dark Sun for the actual setting of Dark Sun, in terms of system compatibility. Though, to Hawkins's mention of Dogs in the Vineyard: I think that the setting is a bit too intimate to pull it of completely, although I guess "Dogs in the Client-Villages of a Specific City-State" could work. In terms of games of that approximate vintage, I'd rather do templars as "My Life with Sorcerer-King". Or Riddle of Steel. (The riddle is "How many people do I have to kill for Tectuktitlay before I get a steel weapon?")

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
MELEE WARLOCKS ARE NOW VIABLE :dance:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Attack: Charisma or Constitution

Did I miss where we already knew this, or is this new?

Because oh my god oh my god oh my god finally

Laex
Sep 24, 2007
I thought several powers got that ro support infernal pact tieflings :confused:

the best bit about Sorcerer pact is how you can be a warlock with that pact without pledging alliegance to that SK or being a dick to your party members (the bit were SKs bestow his powers to Nobles and poo poo) because he can't be looking at you all the time.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Laex posted:

I thought several powers got that ro support infernal pact tieflings :confused:

the best bit about Sorcerer pact is how you can be a warlock with that pact without pledging alliegance to that SK or being a dick to your party members (the bit were SKs bestow his powers to Nobles and poo poo) because he can't be looking at you all the time.

I reckon you'd still have to pledge your allegiance, otherwise why would the SK give you such powers in the first place? But there's a difference between having it on record that you'll come when the king calls and being an out-and-out templar.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
A melee templar warlock does sound like a pretty fun character to play at this point though

Laex
Sep 24, 2007

zeal posted:

I reckon you'd still have to pledge your allegiance, otherwise why would the SK give you such powers in the first place? But there's a difference between having it on record that you'll come when the king calls and being an out-and-out templar.

Oh yeah, looking at it again it specifies protegés and noble families under the good will of the SK, can still roleplay the angsty son of a noble going gently caress you dad :allears:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I got the impression that an SK pact, once made, cannot be broken. In the Penny Arcade podcast, one of the PCs has the templar theme, and he is described as being a former templar of Tyr. If templars can continue to access their power after the death of their SK, I would figure that warlocks can continue receiving their pact powers after a falling out.

Laex
Sep 24, 2007
It would be the first pact bound to an evil that has real impact and presence in the prime material plane, so it makes sense that you can turn your back to your patron but still receive powers it has potential to be far more restrictive than Fey/Infernal/Star pacts since those patrons are in other dimension whereas an SK pact you are receiving power from one of the Big Bad Guys in the campaing setting, I'm glad they went and said "but your patron can't monitor you 24/7". A warlock with the Veiled Alliance theme can be interesting to roleplay, fighting fire with fire (but refusing to defile) and so.

Laex fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 27, 2010

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think that anyone who is going to take the SK pact but not want to deal with the fact that they've pledged allegiance to the Sorcerer King is probably a pretty lovely roleplayer. I mean, there's ten million different ways to go with that, and they all seem pretty fun.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

PeterWeller posted:

I got the impression that an SK pact, once made, cannot be broken. In the Penny Arcade podcast, one of the PCs has the templar theme, and he is described as being a former templar of Tyr. If templars can continue to access their power after the death of their SK, I would figure that warlocks can continue receiving their pact powers after a falling out.

i'm not saying that, the path is pretty explicit when it says the sk can't retract the granted powers if the newly minted warlock starts going against his interests. but that doesn't mean the sk won't go after you and your family if you start using the powers he gave you to free his slaves and act the stupid hero

Laex
Sep 24, 2007

bgaesop posted:

I think that anyone who is going to take the SK pact but not want to deal with the fact that they've pledged allegiance to the Sorcerer King is probably a pretty lovely roleplayer. I mean, there's ten million different ways to go with that, and they all seem pretty fun.

Yeah, I meant something like the son of a noble who's always been living in the high place of the city, gets the gift before being ordained as a templar and after that sees how lovely is the life in the city for the rest of the people, or takes a glimpse of the SKs true nature and doesn't like it. Something worth reading not just "Ok I want to play an edgy anti hero / the Dark Sun equivalent of Drizzt" I never get tired of the "I didn't sign up for this" clique V:shobon:V

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

zeal posted:

i'm not saying that, the path is pretty explicit when it says the sk can't retract the granted powers if the newly minted warlock starts going against his interests. but that doesn't mean the sk won't go after you and your family if you start using the powers he gave you to free his slaves and act the stupid hero

Ahh, okay. You're right in regards to most SKs. I could see Nibenay allowing an "ex" templar to continue using his powers unmolested, being enigmatic and all. And anyways, that's a constant source of good complications, and there's really only one way to stop it from happening. Wanting to assassinate your former master because it's the only way you'll ever have a chance at a peaceful life is a pretty good character motivation.

bgaesop posted:

Yeah, but being a former templar is totally okay, especially because all the trouble it can cause.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bgaesop posted:

Remember, there's a bunch of SK's out there and they don't all like each other much. SK A probably won't get too pissed if you start getting all up in SK B's business, unless you cause it to be traced back to A or endanger Rajaat's imprisonment or something.

Edit:
:smith: "And that's my tale. How did you come to rebel against the dragon lords?"
:catholic: "I who with the what now?"
:smith: "How did you break the yoke of Andropinis to sally forth and rid the world of the sorcerer king's scourge?"
:catholic: "Huh? Oh no, me and Andropinis are cool."
:smith: "what"
:catholic: "I'm just dicking with Kalak. We go near Andopinis and I'll light you up like new year's. Tea?"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 27, 2010

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.
In the PA podcast the warlord had the Templar theme, which was described as a last vestige of the power the character once wielded (the character was actually a warlord). Also the theme power failed to hit twice in the podcast which the DM decently weaved into the rumours of Kalak being dead (the warlord was a former Tyrian Templar).

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Splicer posted:

Remember, there's a bunch of SK's out there and they don't all like each other much. SK A probably won't get too pissed if you start getting all up in SK B's business, unless you cause it to be traced back to A or endanger Rajaat's imprisonment or something.

People keep talking about Rajaat like he's still topical and is going to exist in the new iteration of Dark Sun, along with all the bullshit pseudo-history that came along with him. I'm pretty sure the expanded history is out and it's pretty much "Magic destroyed the world, Sorcerer kings are jerks who ruin everything they touch but hey, beats living in the desert", at least as far as we know.

Can anyone point out anywhere they've said all that other garbage is going to be a part of the setting again?

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
the dragon, and sacrificing to it is, at least

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

TheAnomaly posted:

People keep talking about Rajaat like he's still topical and is going to exist in the new iteration of Dark Sun, along with all the bullshit pseudo-history that came along with him. I'm pretty sure the expanded history is out and it's pretty much "Magic destroyed the world, Sorcerer kings are jerks who ruin everything they touch but hey, beats living in the desert", at least as far as we know.

Can anyone point out anywhere they've said all that other garbage is going to be a part of the setting again?

Rajaat stuff was standard, first-edition dark sun, so its sort of assumed its all staying. Expanded is when they released a new edition after Prism Pentad, in which they killed off most of the SKs, re-banished rajaat, killed the dragon and basically changed the core metaplot of the setting. That sucked, so they are rebooting back to when it was cool. If they are keeping Nibenay's harem I'm guessing they will keep the rajaat stuff.

Laex
Sep 24, 2007
I hope they keep Rajaat (would explain why the SKs funnel sacrifices to him instead of planning a way to kill him) but leave all the halfling master race shenanigans out.

Verklemptomaniac
Apr 23, 2008

Laex posted:

I hope they keep Rajaat (would explain why the SKs funnel sacrifices to him instead of planning a way to kill him) but leave all the halfling master race shenanigans out.

Agreed. There's a very easy way they could keep Rajaat and the cleansing wars and such in continuity without bringing in Mini Alex Mercer, Space Halfling BioWarrior:

Rajaat empowered the SKs to eliminate all non-humans. At some point, whoops, they realized he wasn't genocidal, but omnicidal. So they all got together, pooled their power to create the Dragon, trapped Rajaat, and now the Dragon takes the sacrifices from each city to keep Rajaat trapped so he doesn't break out and stomp everyone.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, the Rajaat backstory doesn't actually require any of the halfling biotech and astronauts poo poo to work. Hell, the Cleansing Wars don't even have to be an attempt at genocide. They could simply be wars of conquest. Rajaat wouldn't be the first would-be evil overlord to be betrayed by his lieutenants.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'd prefer the history to remain unknown and inconsequential. whatever went wrong with the world to turn it into modern athas happened so long ago that the only ones left alive who remember it are probably sorcerer kings themselves by now, and it's in their best interests to convince their followers that this world is the only one there is and there could be so there's no point in trying to change it. The Dragon being the only SK to finish the metamorphosis, and the sacrifices to it being just that, sacrifices to the dragon, make plenty of sense on their own. Occam's Razor that poo poo.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
this being DnD there will of course be an incredibly intricate backstory with plenty of author self-insert characters, but I Dare To Dream

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

zeal posted:

i'd prefer the history to remain unknown and inconsequential. whatever went wrong with the world to turn it into modern athas happened so long ago that the only ones left alive who remember it are probably sorcerer kings themselves by now, and it's in their best interests to convince their followers that this world is the only one there is and there could be so there's no point in trying to change it. The Dragon being the only SK to finish the metamorphosis, and the sacrifices to it being just that, sacrifices to the dragon, make plenty of sense on their own. Occam's Razor that poo poo.

Well that's pretty much how it is already with the Cleansing Wars backstory. It's all ancient history, and the only people who know the real story are the Sorcerer Kings. How important the Cleansing Wars are is entirely up to your group. If you don't like the history, it's pretty easy to ignore or rewrite. But the official version should be in the books for those who want to use it or don't want to come up with their own story.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It creates a different sense of setting and of time within the setting if the knowledge is pinned down as definite at all. I'm with zeal. Probably in the minority on that, but so it goes.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
i don't think that people would be so down on the darksun backstory if it wasn't literally "millenia ago, majestic halflings paddled around in leaf-boats"

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
August's Content Calendar is up now! Amongst it is the Slave Theme that we had heard of, Playing Templars, and Class Acts: Bard (maybe it's for Dark Sun Bards!).

Maybe also the Winning Races: Eladrin goes into how Dark Sun Eladrin are like more. Who knows!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

hopefully by this time next week I'll have my books :ohdear:

is anyone still going to Encounters? I had a blast running for my table last night. Giving out the coozies for moments of greatness is fun.

Laex
Sep 24, 2007
I hope The Book Depository sends the books a couple days before the street release date :ohdear:

happyelf posted:

i don't think that people would be so down on the darksun backstory if it wasn't literally "millenia ago, majestic halflings paddled around in leaf-boats"

Only thing that would make it worse would be if you replaced halflings with kenders :allears: but aye the whole expanded edition was a clusterfuck of weird concepts and silly ideas "the land is a desert but we have a sea here where you can surf" and all the halfling bullshit, including the halfling spaceship :doh:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

In the interests of our monthly budget, I have to wait on Amazon to get my books. :cry:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still go to Encounters. It's decent, but I wish I could get some friend together for longer play sessions and a home campaign.

I'm won't be there next week, though. I'm going to see Devo at the State fair. :whip:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

happyelf posted:

Yeah, that poo poo was lame. But you can cut it out and still keep the Rajaat and the Cleansing Wars.

quote:

It creates a different sense of setting and of time within the setting if the knowledge is pinned down as definite at all. I'm with zeal. Probably in the minority on that, but so it goes.

I feel you, but it's easier for a DM to ignore published history than make it up on his or her own. That's why I prefer if it was kept around. Also, it sets up some good hooks. Ending your campaign with killing Borys isn't as cool as ending your campaign with killing Borys only to find out that you hosed up and now you have to stop Rajaat from returning.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

PeterWeller posted:

Ending your campaign with killing Borys isn't as cool as ending your campaign with killing Borys only to find out that you hosed up and now you have to stop Rajaat from returning.

I'm going to go ahead and quote myself at this point:

ManMythLegend posted:

Then when [the characters are] powerful enough tell them that the gods were all locked in the Hollow during the Cleansing Wars, and that if they can find a way to release them they'll kill all the sorcerer-kings and restore Athas to the Green Age. Then they give their lives fighting the dragon at the heart of Ur Draxa to use the dark lens to tear a hole into that prison dimension, and as their vision fades to black and their souls get pulled into the Grey, the last thing they see is Rajaat step out to finish what he started. Oops.

:black101:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Someone says they have the books. And someone else does, too. The first thread looks more active and useful at the moment.I'll anthologise any neat information from them.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mostly from the rpg.net thread, with a few ENW sprinklings:

RACES posted:

Eladrin are the last survivors left stranded as the fey moved away from the world, now haunting a few oasis and using magic to mask their lingering presence.
--
This was my concern as well, especially since the harsh world of Dark Sun never seemed as workable for the kitchen sink that all-options-on D&D is. The book doesn't try too hard to twist the setting to accommodate races like Warforged and Deva. All of the core races are here, some like the Goliath are recast (Half-Giants here), and a few of the minority races are detailed. For stuff like Warforged the book offers several suggestions, such as having them connected to the previous age of civilization.

I'm actually very pleased that the book has clearly been written to meet with the feel of the original boxed set.
--
Mul: +2 Con; +2 Str or Wis. +2 End, +2 Streetwise. Speed 6, +1 Healing Surge. Choose whether you count as Human or Dwarf at creation. Only need to sleep 6 hours of every 72 to get the benefit of an extended rest. Encounter Power: Incredible Toughness > At the start of your turn (trigger) end any ongoing damage or dazed, slowed, stunned, or weakened condition.

Thri-kreen: +2 Dex; +2 Str or Wis. Speed 7, Low-Light, +2 Athletics, +2 Nature, once per turn draw or sheath weapon as a quick action, always considered to have a running start when jumping, require only 4 hours of sleep and stay aware of surroundings while resting. Encounter Power: Thri-Kreen Claws > Melee 1, 1/2/3 enemies, 1d8 + Str/Dex/Wis mod. Gain a bonus to the damage equal to the number of targets.
--
Mul encounter power: Incredible Toughness, end any on going damage, or stunned, dazed, slowed, or weakened condition effecting you.

They seem to be the tough race I remember.
--
Nothing really on gender distinctions and I'm not sure what a female thri-kreen looks like. The pictures could be either I guess.

CLASSES posted:

quote:

Any new Psionic powers for Ardent or Psion?"
Nope. Battleminds have a new option - Wild Battlemind - with new powers available.
--

quote:

What new class builds are in the book?
Wild Battlemind, Arena Fighter, Animist-Shaman, and Sorcerer-King Pact Warlock (a very cool idea).
--
Arena Training: All weapons they are not proficient with count as improvised weapons. They get +2 attack on all improvised weapons. 1 handed improvised weapons deal 1d8 damage, 2 handed deal 1d10.

While not wearing heavy armor gain +1 AC (increases at 11, and 21 level)

select 2 arena weapons. Gain proficiency with them. Any feat bonuses that [apply] to one weapon, applies to the other as well.

OTHER CHARACTER MECHANICS posted:

If your DM allows it you can pick one of 10 Wild Talents. These are At-Will Minor or Move action powers that offer a small benefit. For example, Psionic Spark allows you to ignite a flamable object within 5. They're really more worthwhile for flavor and RP than for any big game purpose. Random rolling is presented as an option, and characters can also buy them as Feats if they are otherwise unavailable.
--
The more I look at the book and get to play with it, the more I feel like Defiling and Preserving is pretty well supported. Characters can ultimately take Destinies to become Dragon Kings or the preserver insect/angel things. The Defiling Action Feat also enables the arcane defiling power to be used with At-Wills and Encounters during the action point action, which expands it a little bit.
--
Elemental Priests are covered by the Theme mechanic. When a character is created they may choose a Theme which opens up new Feats, Paths, and powers for purchase. I can find no draw backs to choosing a theme - they just add more appropriate options and a small power.

Elemental Priest grants the Spirit of Athas power which provides a small defense boost to allies and can make an attack when dismissed. After that there are a variety of different power options, but it should be stressed that there's no specialization in element type as there was in AD&D. Gone are the worshiped Water Priests and feared Earth Priests. There is a Paragon option to do either Rain or Fire as a focus here, but you're still looking at having general elemental powers.
--
Defiling doesn't seem as cool as it used to be but it can still be powerful if you don't care about your friends. There is also a optional rule for each character to have a wild talent an at will psionic ability. There are ten written up and it includes a random table for them so that is a nice touch from 2e brought forward.
--
I see I misunderstood the questions on Themes - I wasn't aware of the new mechanic until I dug into the book today.

Ten Themes are included here. You may select one at character creation. It provides a bonus power and unlocks Feats / power options / Paragon Paths. The Themes include Athasian Minstrel, Dune Trader, Elemental Priest, Gladiator, Noble Adept, Primal Guardian, Templar, Veiled Alliance, Wasteland Nomad, and Wilder.

My personal favorites are the Veiled Alliance and Athasian Minstrel. The former emphasizes the organizations goal of secrecy in practicing magic by including a lot of warding options, while the later brings back the awesomeness of the Dark Sun bard by providing more options for poisoning and assassination.
--
Pyreen is a epic destiney and that's cool to see them there.

Nothing on specific rituals for defilers or anything special about how defiling interacts with rituals. There is a ritual for turning defiled terrain into normal terrain.
--
Optional rule weapon breakage

non metal weapons, Fumbling Breakage: roll natural 1 weapon breaks

Reckless breakage: natural one gives option of reroll. non metal weapon breaks but you could hit on reroll, metal weapons break on 1-5.

THINGS WHAT YOU STAB posted:

quote:

What level one monsters are in the creature catalogue?
Silt Runner Darter, Silt Runner Rager, Human Slave, Baazrag Whelp, Kestrekel Carrion Eater, Baazrag Gnawer, Jhakar Tracker, Hejkin Sparker, Salt Zombie, and Id Fiend. I'm thrilled with the heroic and paragon support here.
--
No Dune Trapper at least under Dune trapper. [Later addition:] not in the hazards either

Nightmare Beast is there level 25 solo controller. Also nightmare beast spawn, just a level 16 elite artillery. Cool sidebar on the secrets of their origin.
--

quote:

NPC stats for Aarakocra or Pterran ? or even Elan/Maenad ???????
There are a few NPC stats but I didn't see any of them

SETTING DETAIL, FLAVOR, & PRESENTATION posted:

A little over 60 pages are dedicated to pure setting stuff, working off the map in the book.
--
The same themes as original Dark Sun. We hosed the world, now it's dying, and the corrupt dragon-kings now rule most of the city states. The people desperately need heroes, but inside the walls the servants of the kings hunt for any opposition and in the wastes death lurks around every corner.

If you want to play in a setting where nothing is given to you or taken for granted, then Dark Sun is a great choice.
--
[The map is d]ouble sided, full color, nicely generalized so that there's a lot of wastes filled with the unknown.
--

quote:

So far what is your favorite part of the book?
Given I really haven't had a chance to read through them with much dpeth I'm going with the art. I'm flipping through the creature book and the art is just fantastic.

Edit: Added two items under OTHER CHARACTER MECHANICS.
Edit 2: One item under CLASSES, two items under THINGS WHAT YOU STAB, one item under SETTING DETAIL, FLAVOR, & PRESENTATION.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 30, 2010

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Squizzle posted:

Wild talents

Those are great, now they need to extend prestidigitation to all arcane, give all divine a similar weakened Channel Divinity, and find something pleasant for the martial and primal classes. Flavorful powers are wonderful.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Red_Mage posted:

Those are great, now they need to extend prestidigitation to all arcane, give all divine a similar weakened Channel Divinity, and find something pleasant for the martial and primal classes. Flavorful powers are wonderful.

Wild Talents are open to EVERYONE, regardless of class. Not just Psionic characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
pity you probably can't get a Megablast off the random chart though.

• Locked thread