Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PalmTreeFun posted:

Just try saying "melon" in front of Trip. He does not like that word at all.

Anyway, not-griefing again, Sumotori Dreams is an amazing game. I guess you could think of it as griefing the fat block-men.

Sorry about the quality, it's hard to find to good videos that don't have music or TF2 sounds overlayed on them. You really need the original noises for the full effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOvq3-oG5BM

I remember playing this with friends when we were drunk. I'd end up laughing so hard I would almost be sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Holy poo poo, the part at 2:45 where they just inch towards one another and then just start spazzing out is incredible. I didn't think it was possible to create a better 'drunk walking' engine than the one in GTA4, but they managed it.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
the funny thing about sumotori dreams if I remember right, There's an easter egg in it, if you hit one of the background objects with one of those blocks you cna actually get the blockshooting in the main game I think

So it adds the two fat sumomen flipping out and having seizures whilst you shoot them with a cannon

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Forer posted:

the funny thing about sumotori dreams if I remember right, There's an easter egg in it, if you hit one of the background objects with one of those blocks you cna actually get the blockshooting in the main game I think

So it adds the two fat sumomen flipping out and having seizures whilst you shoot them with a cannon

Actually, the bonus mode just gives you one guy, but you can blast him with blocks.

Volume's a bit loud, you may want to turn it down a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwVKrJlPpPI

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

PalmTreeFun posted:

Actually, the bonus mode just gives you one guy, but you can blast him with blocks.

Oh christ I'm in tears

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
How hard would it be realistically to make either a server plugin or a UI mod for TF2 that implemented basically Moonbase Alpha's text to speech?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

PalmTreeFun posted:

This is the only time I've actually ever used my mouse to aim on a youtube to shoot blocks at his butt. I know it's not possible but I knew that whomever made this video, as soon as the butt was facing him and the man was on all fours, the butt-block loving would commence. I clicked so goddamn hard.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

PalmTreeFun posted:

ahahah holy poo poo that last 10 seconds where he shoots mr. block in the butt to finally tip him over the edge.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
not content with having pushed him off the stage he fires 3 more shots into the abyss...i promptly lost my poo poo.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

IF A ROBOT IS BUILT IN THE FORM OF HUMAN BEINGS IT IS HARAAM

Chocolate Donuts posted:

How hard would it be realistically to make either a server plugin or a UI mod for TF2 that implemented basically Moonbase Alpha's text to speech?

It's possible: I've seen servers that load up sounds in an embedded IE frame when players type text commands, so I suppose you could do it that way.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

PalmTreeFun posted:

Just try saying "melon" in front of Trip. He does not like that word at all.

Anyway, not-griefing again, Sumotori Dreams is an amazing game. I guess you could think of it as griefing the fat block-men.

Sorry about the quality, it's hard to find to good videos that don't have music or TF2 sounds overlayed on them. You really need the original noises for the full effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOvq3-oG5BM

Weirdly, this guy did a truck racing game with the same physics engine which was just released today - http://www.assembly.org/summer10/news/gamedev-entries-published (it's called "tricky truck" and it rocks).

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

beef express posted:

Weirdly, this guy did a truck racing game with the same physics engine which was just released today - http://www.assembly.org/summer10/news/gamedev-entries-published (it's called "tricky truck" and it rocks).

Downloading 'Vuvuzela Hero' as we speak....

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Blarticus posted:

Downloading 'Vuvuzela Hero' as we speak....
Is this the first rhythm game where you grief yourself?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

poop posted:

Okay one more video, I hope it wasn't posted in here yet.

Basically its from some text adventure (meant to be kinda arty) game. I dunno if it really counts, but its more like single player griefing I guess? v:v:v - the dude is just speaking over the top of what he types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPx9zwH9IWc

Wow, i'm so glad I read this thread. This is hilarious, and this guys LP's are all amazing as well.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

THE PWNER posted:

Wow, i'm so glad I read this thread. This is hilarious, and this guys LP's are all amazing as well.

This really is the best thread in the games forum right now.

Anyway, I'm gonna try Tricky Truck. Might not get to it until tomorrow, but I'm gonna try that poo poo.

EDIT: Tried it. I suck horribly at truck parking.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 29, 2010

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:saddowns: I also just now realized I posted this in the wrong thread.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 30, 2010

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I've run out of good stories of my dad's to share with you all, Me and my best friend have been trying to track down a nearby group or DM and see if we can't whip up a couple stories of our own. Thought I'd check with you all while I'm waiting on some replies from nearbygamers.com. Anything I should look out for or that I should turn around and run the hell away from if I see? Any warning signs of a bad DM other then obvious railroad tracks?

You should ask here. They know, man. They know.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
With the old Apple OS text-to-speech, if you typed in a mass of "<><><><><>," the TTS engine would pronounce "Less than greater than less than greater than" but the pitch would drop with each iteration, leading to an immensely deep, gravelly voice. Adding an actual line to say after the <><><> (such as the classic "Luke, I am your father") could lead to fun results.

Does the TTS in Moonbase have the same pitch-dropping glitch? :)

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

XkyRauh posted:

With the old Apple OS text-to-speech, if you typed in a mass of "<><><><><>," the TTS engine would pronounce "Less than greater than less than greater than" but the pitch would drop with each iteration, leading to an immensely deep, gravelly voice. Adding an actual line to say after the <><><> (such as the classic "Luke, I am your father") could lead to fun results.

Does the TTS in Moonbase have the same pitch-dropping glitch? :)

I just tried and it doesnt work :(

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

clamiam posted:

It's possible: I've seen servers that load up sounds in an embedded IE frame when players type text commands, so I suppose you could do it that way.

If only they kept the "speak" commands in the console like in HL 1 :sigh:

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
So, possibly the first Starcraft 2 grief posted here. It was hilarious at the time but probably won't be as funny in text as some of these other things. My friend and I joined the UMS map called "Starship Troopers some version number who cares" and like most of the custom maps on SC2 right now it was a completely poorly designed broken mess. My friend and I ended up on Team 2 while the four pubbies were on Team 1. We figured we'd be controlling the aliens or something.

Well, when we got into the game we found out that I had no structures besides the base itself, which could not build anything. However, we both had the ability to control everyone else's stuff. Now, medievacs are free from the starports and only cost (their) supply. So, initiate plan "grief the bad map" by massing medievacs from everyone's hotkeyed Starports. I followed this by cancelling any other units they tried to build from any of their other buildings. It shows a huge dotted line in the colour of the person who is controlling your junk so I figured they would figure it out relatively quickly but none of them did and three of them stayed the entire duration of the game complaining about "WHY CAN I ONLY BUILD MEDIEVACS?!" over and over in the text chat.

To add to this, I used their vespene (you get one per wave for an upgrade) by cancelling whatever silly weapon upgrade they were trying to get for the Marauders/Marines that they snuck past me and instead used to it "Increase Bunker/Missile Turret range" and to increase air armor so that our precious medievacs wouldn't die.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That reminds me of a UMS map I played in SC1 where it was obviously tuned to dick with people. It was a Commando Wars map where everyone starts with 2 marines and the goal is to kill other people's marines to get kills. Every 5 kills you'd get an additional marine whenever you respawned which happened whenever all of your units died. Scattered throughout the map were areas where you could trade marines for other units, like 10 marines for a siege tank or something of that sort. It was a fun little game to see spending what for which units worked best.

There were tons of versions and tilesets floating around for this map, so I would just join a Commando Wars game and it would download it whatever version they were using. For this particular game, the host left, so I moved up to the Player 1 spot and the game filled up and we began. The game played out normally with my 2 marines until I reached 5 kills. When I respawned next, I had my 3rd marine. And a dark templar. Dark templar are perma-cloaked units that require specific units to reveal them, otherwise they were invisible and could attack but not be attacked. Someone had obviously taken whatever version of CWars this was and edited the trigger to give player 1, himself, god mode. Needless to say, the rest of the people in the game did not believe me when I single-handedly massacred all of their units and insisted that that's just how the game is.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Forgive me but I have no idea what the gently caress UMS stands for. Haven't we had this discussion about Initial-isms before in this thread?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Use Map Settings i think.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

0 rows returned posted:

Use Map Settings i think.

To put in non-Starcraft terms, user made maps with custom objectives and things to do. Such as RPGs (Some one vaguely remade FF6 in Starcraft) and Tower Defense games.

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?

KGBAgent185 posted:

Forgive me but I have no idea what the gently caress UMS stands for. Haven't we had this discussion about Initial-isms before in this thread?

I actually forgot I left 'UMS' in there which is why it says 'custom map' a few words after <_<.

But yeah, UMS = "Use Map Settings" = "Custom map designed by players"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

KGBAgent185 posted:

It should really be a blanket rule across the games forum that's heavily enforced. I'm tired of seeing posts like, "I was playing UMC the other day and three DMGs attacked my SMF." I know it looks like I'm exaggerating, but I've actually seen that sentence before just with three other acronyms.

Murder Mystery
Sep 10, 2007

Candy screen wrappers of silkscreen fantastic

LividLiquid posted:

It should really be a blanket rule across the games forum that's heavily enforced. I'm tired of seeing posts like, "I was playing UMC the other day and three DMGs attacked my SMF." I know it looks like I'm exaggerating, but I've actually seen that sentence before just with three other acronyms.

To be fair, mutata explained everything else pretty well.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Murder Mystery posted:

To be fair, mutata explained everything else pretty well.

I get what he's saying. I have never played UO but love the stories. I have to be dependent on the writer to explain things in detail. I understand WoW speak because I used to be an addict, but others wouldn't get the acronyms. DPS, TPS, TOC, UBRS, WTS/WTB, and so on. It should be a common courtesy much like proper punctuation and capitalization.

Vonkrieger
May 14, 2009
Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

I get what he's saying. I have never played UO but love the stories. I have to be dependent on the writer to explain things in detail. I understand WoW speak because I used to be an addict, but others wouldn't get the acronyms. DPS, TPS, TOC, UBRS, WTS/WTB, and so on. It should be a common courtesy much like proper punctuation and capitalization.

UO, WoW? What do these things stand for? (I jest.)

For content, World of Tanks childishness/griefing. It's quite easy to wedge somebody on your team against a wall for an entire round and watch them squirm back and forward as they live out their 1940's parallel parking nightmare.

Interestingly enough however after a lot of dicking around including some friendly fire incidents the only thing I've been reprobated for in World of Tanks was spamming radio messages. Guess war really does do things to people's minds.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Vonkrieger posted:

UO, WoW? What do these things stand for? (I jest.)

I still think "Mechwarrior 2" whenever I see someone use MW2.

Every. loving. Time.

It gets confusing sometimes.

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009
In the Star Craft 1 community, there are certain perverse and tragic individuals who view and make 'sexy pic' maps.

Someone, somewhere wrote an 'sc picture mapper,' which takes an image and exports it as a StarCraft scenario; when the minimap of that scenario is viewed, it looks like a weak, grainy copy of the original picture. Naturally, this was immediately harnessed for the transmission of explicit photographs.

"But DR," you exclaim, "Why would anyone view a grainy 300x300 minimap picture when they could simply go online and find high-quality ones for free?" This question is beyond my powers to answer, but as a side-effect these people were eminently griefable.

I made about half a dozen fake sexy pic maps, some of which simply failed to display (with an apologetic note from the "mapper" about failing to uncover the fog-of-war) while others had images of well-endowed stick figures in the act, and others just had tremendous numbers of zerglings that instantly lagged everyone out.

Most people took the joke in good humor, but a depressingly large section questioned my sexual orientation, made threats/sexual advances against my mother, and others still claimed they would 'find me.'

I stopped doing it when other people started making fake sexy pic maps, most of which used the picture mapper to display Goatse, Tubgirl, other shockpics. That always seemed to me pretty crass and gratuitous (stick figures ftw), so I quit. I don't know what happened after that.

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

I didn't see any mention of this and in retrospect it's kind of lame but what the hell. Champions Online had a week long Halloween event during it's release that involved Millennium City being under siege by undead villains. There were 20+ portals spread about the city that were on a timer, once the timer was up a villain would spawn and killing them lead to a quest and instance that tied in with the event's storyline. The problem is that when the event launched, the portals were not only on some insane 24 hour timer, they also could bug out when the timer hit zero. All that would happen in this instance was the timer resetting itself and the quest mob wouldn't spawn.

At this point I found out that if you walked through the portals that were working you could cause them to glitch leading to the quest mob not spawning and the timer resetting back to 24 hours. As you can imagine people would start throwing fits when they realized they wasted 2-3 hours for nothing. Since people were kind enough to announce over global chat which portals were about to spawn, I could go portal to portal and causing them reset themselves. For extra hilarity, I would falsely accuse some random sap of standing on the portal, and watch as players proceeded to yell at them.

Why anyone attempted to do the event during the first several days it was out is beyond me. It was pretty drat obvious that Cryptic was going to patch out the bugs as well as reducing the timer length. They even announced they were going to extend the event so players could get their achievements and gear.

And even though the whole thing is lame I have to admit it was priceless watching players go into conniptions when they saw they couldn't obtain their precious loot and achievements.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Every. loving. Time.

It gets confusing sometimes.

Same here, buddy :hf: I remember playing the hell out of that game in my younger years. God, I feel old now :smith:

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Same here, buddy :hf: I remember playing the hell out of that game in my younger years. God, I feel old now :smith:

I remember buying my P90 and being all :cool:

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
586-100 :smug:

It..it was much slower than a P90 :smith:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Every. loving. Time.
I still see "Wing Commander 2" or 3 when people use WC2 and WC3.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's been so many years that I forget a lot of the details, but one time my friend and I fired up a MW game over LAN and basically griefed ourselves haha (must've been 3... I don't remember 2 being internet/LAN-capable, but maybe it was?) (ninja: looking at screenshots, it was 3)

We had been debating earlier in the day about which was better, slow and hard-hitting, or light and agile. I was firmly in the former camp, as I've always felt the best defense is an overwhelming offense. We decided to settle it via a test of the most extreme examples of our philosophies.

So we fired up the game, and I made an Atlas that was so loving loaded down with weapons and armor and poo poo that it couldn't move faster than, like, 30km/h or something ridiculous like that. He took the smallest, fastest chassis he could (I don't remember what it was anymore, but a quick search says it was probably an Owens), slightly changed his armament so he had two sets of medium lasers (I think, or maybe they were light) and the LRM-5s, and we fought.

It was ridiculous.

I. plodded. ahead.

so.

loving.

slow.

I saw him in my radar, took aim, and began to shoot...

But I couldn't hit the fucker because I couldn't turn or aim fast enough to get him with my shitloads of guns and missiles, and this little fucker jumped in the air, evaded my attacks, and closed the distance so quickly I didn't know what was going on.

Then for the next five or so minutes, I kept trying to turn and score a hit against him as he literally ran circles around me, around and around and around and around. I barely scratched him, while he unloaded his entire loving arsenal, every last drop of ammo he had into me, until he was totally dry.

In the end, I was still standing, and he was still sprinting around me like a tiny faggoty mechanical Jesse loving Owens.

We decided to call it a draw after 5 more minutes of me never being able to catch up to him or score a hit.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
A friend of mine once lagged out an entire LAN game of Interstate 76 by loading a Police Cruiser with the cement blocks and dropping them as fast as possible. The slower computers started to drop frames, and eventually everyone was lagging like crazy, and then we had to reboot.

I'm very sad that I'76 won't run on modern machines. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum

XkyRauh posted:

I'm very sad that I'76 won't run on modern machines. :(

Runs fine on mine, the only real issue is that flamethrowers don't work.

• Locked thread