Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You know what weapon this game was sorely missing? A cavalry saber or civil war sword of some sort. I had really hoped you would be able to take the Colonel's after that mission where you kill him and Bill, but no.

How great would it be to ride into town, walk into a saloon, and then whip out a saber and jump up on the poker table before skewering everyone sitting there in the face like an rear end in a top hat Errol Flynn?

EDIT: Or put on the bandanna and the Legend of the West outfit, and pretend you're a slightly ghetto-er Zorro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I love how emersive this game is. I was playing horseshoes, but went idle for several minutes. Next thing I know the screen shifts to the waterfountain in the middle of the Mexican ranch, with people hanging out or doing their thing. I move the analog stick, and it goes back to my player. Did I really just get a custom western screensaver?

That and the main menu, or just being able to chillout in a stagecoach while being driven somewhere. They're little things, but majorly add to my enjoyment of this game.

ninja edit: Make that idle for 2 minutes? Happened again as I was typing. I've never seen this "feature", except being idle playing horseshoes in Las Hermanas.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Yeah, it'll cut to a wide cinematic view of wherever you're at if there's no controller input for a few minutes.

CzarChasm posted:

Hell, I'm still holding out for a flying horses cheat. Make it happen R*

Well, there is a cheat called 'rubber horse' but it hasn't been activated yet. I'm pretty sure all of the in-game phrases have been found, so we'll have to wait a bit for the other half-dozen cheats to roll out.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
This game is awesome, but soem parts are really annoying. Just now I was trying to stealthily approach a bounty. I carefully creep around, shank some guards, see one walking my way, pull out my throwing knives and carefully flick one into his throat. He goes down without a sound.

Marston: I'M COMING FOR YOU !!

It's a minor thing but I wish it was easier to be sneaky in this game..

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

themrguy posted:

This game is awesome, but soem parts are really annoying. Just now I was trying to stealthily approach a bounty. I carefully creep around, shank some guards, see one walking my way, pull out my throwing knives and carefully flick one into his throat. He goes down without a sound.

Marston: I'M COMING FOR YOU !!

It's a minor thing but I wish it was easier to be sneaky in this game..

Marston thinks stealth is for pussies and wants to see the look on his victims faces when they know he's coming.

I think the only time you are ever supposed to sneak is in a single mission with Landon Rickets.

Discomedusae
Jul 13, 2009

Fuzz posted:

You know what weapon this game was sorely missing? A cavalry saber or civil war sword of some sort. I had really hoped you would be able to take the Colonel's after that mission where you kill him and Bill, but no.

How great would it be to ride into town, walk into a saloon, and then whip out a saber and jump up on the poker table before skewering everyone sitting there in the face like an rear end in a top hat Errol Flynn?

EDIT: Or put on the bandanna and the Legend of the West outfit, and pretend you're a slightly ghetto-er Zorro.

Now I'm imagining Marston fighting a bear with a cavalry sabre.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Discomedusae posted:

Now I'm imagining Marston fighting a bear with a cavalry sabre.

This is the main reason I would want a sword, yes.

Ace of Knaves
May 8, 2009
I've only been playing multiplayer for a couple of weeks, and I'd be more than willing to help people out with any trophies/achievments they still need, as long as they're up for returning the favor. I have a handfull of "max posse", and "outlaw 2" challenges that I'd like to get done, plus whatever gang territory/XP cocking around you're up for. Also, wear a large hat.

I'm typically available on weeknights, 6-10 or so. PSN: Knaves_77

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm not all that interested in achievements but it might be fun to get small groups together to go hunt bears in tall trees...

my xbox live name is earwicker23

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Ace of Knaves posted:

I've only been playing multiplayer for a couple of weeks, and I'd be more than willing to help people out with any trophies/achievments they still need, as long as they're up for returning the favor. I have a handfull of "max posse", and "outlaw 2" challenges that I'd like to get done, plus whatever gang territory/XP cocking around you're up for. Also, wear a large hat.

I'm typically available on weeknights, 6-10 or so. PSN: Knaves_77

I'm up for this, haven't touched the multiplayer yet, so I guess I'm up for all the trophies. Unfortunately my mic is broken, if that matters. PSN: TheBlindNinja

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

You'd think a challenge like that would be a lot easier. Not only do they give you unlimited firebottles, the Federales take some of the heat off you so you can concentrate on disarming or whatever. I tried it a few times, though, and had no luck completing even one task before I was killed.

Not only that, but the dumb-rear end federales will constantly get in your way while your tossing the fire bottles, and if they accidentally get doused, they all turn on you. Got the cheat after a dozen tries though. My poor roommate never heard so much cursing over video games.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

http://www.facebook.com/notes/rockstar-games/title-update-103-now-available-for-red-dead-redemption-on-playstation-3-and-xbox/477037078974 posted:

A new automatic title update (version 1.03) is now available for Red Dead Redemption on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. You will be prompted to download the title update as soon as you sign into PSN or Xbox LIVE.

This update contains the following new anti-griefing measures for Multiplayer Free Roam:

• While in Multiplayer Free Roam, if a player achieves a kill streak of 6 or more without dying, they will become a Public Enemy and receive a $1000 bounty.
• While in Multiplayer Free Roam, if killed three times by any human player and each death is within 80 seconds of respawn, the victim is given the option to respawn away from the area.

This new title update also addresses the following issues:

• Players now have the ability to swap shoulder buttons L1/L2, R1/R2.
• Players now have the ability to save game with cheats turned on.
• When playing the game with Region set to Asia, incorrect button prompts were displayed.
• Downloadable Outfits were not appearing in Change Outfits Menu after being unlocked.
• Invincibility cheat was turned off when activating Dead Eye.
• Occasionally, the player would not recover from being drunk.
• It was possible to have two player horses, with one permanently following the player.
• If equipped with the bandana, sliding doors would temporarily attach to the player’s head.

New patch is out. I've never seen that last bug but it sounds hilarious.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

New patch is out. I've never seen that last bug but it sounds hilarious.

I have. It's absurd. Oh man, Thieve's Landing was the glitchiest place I've ever seen.

quote:

• Players now have the ability to save game with cheats turned on.
• Invincibility cheat was turned off when activating Dead Eye.

Greatest patch.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Well poo poo I guess it's time to start a new game again. If only there was a cheat to unlock all the costumes and weapons at once. I know there's weapon cheats, but I want to pick individual ones :argh:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

You can't deadeye with the knife in free roam anymore :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Does this mean it switches L2 with R2 or R2 with R1? I hope it's the latter.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Kly posted:

You can't deadeye with the knife in free roam anymore :(

gently caress. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted I guess. It won't be as funny if you don't have a second horse following you sometimes, but that's not the big a deal. It was really only funny for the co-op missions when people would get into a stagecoach and there where four extra horses plus the ones the bad guys were riding. They kinda blocked the coach for you too. Maybe that'll still work and they were just referring to SP.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Stare-Out posted:

Does this mean it switches L2 with R2 or R2 with R1? I hope it's the latter.

Definitely the latter.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Jesus christ, just finished this.

Were they trying to break me? I cried like a little girl.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I hope they give out a date for the new DLC. Playing as Red Harlow would rock in multiplayer. Make the slog a little more fun.

Unsupervised Horse
Apr 10, 2009

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I hope they give out a date for the new DLC. Playing as Red Harlow would rock in multiplayer. Make the slog a little more fun.
It's out on Tuesday. :)

Shmitty
Oct 21, 2008
The hate I have for "Walton's Gold" cannot be measured. I was having a grand time with the co-op missions until this one popped up. I've yet to find a group that can even make it through the opening gun fight. The two turrets coupled with the sniper and the two guys with explosives in the latter half of the battle end up killing everyone. That usually leads to a couple rounds of "Vote to Retry" followed by acceptance of defeat and finally moving along to the next mission in the playlist. I've beaten it, but it now seems to only serve the purpose of constantly killing the flow of co-op when I decide to hop in and run through a few for fun.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Shmitty posted:

The hate I have for "Walton's Gold" cannot be measured. I was having a grand time with the co-op missions until this one popped up. I've yet to find a group that can even make it through the opening gun fight. The two turrets coupled with the sniper and the two guys with explosives in the latter half of the battle end up killing everyone. That usually leads to a couple rounds of "Vote to Retry" followed by acceptance of defeat and finally moving along to the next mission in the playlist. I've beaten it, but it now seems to only serve the purpose of constantly killing the flow of co-op when I decide to hop in and run through a few for fun.

It's not the first gunfight or getting the money out of the mine that gives me problems, it's the gunfight after you exit that sucks rear end. "oh, here. hide behind these windows and get shot at by 20 dudes after they've killed your teammates". gently caress that. The sniper guy I usually get right off the bat because he's annoying as hell, and from that position I can usually get the turret gunners.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
For me it's always "The Herd" on Advanced that fucks up a good co-op session.

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:

ShineDog posted:

Jesus christ, just finished this.

Were they trying to break me? I cried like a little girl.

Wasn't that a fucker? Hell, I was already emotionally wound up after dealing with Dutch and then a day or so later I finished the game and was just shocked at how loving good RDR was at actually making me care about a video game character.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Definitely the latter.
Sure is! Awesome.

So do any of the other DLC's apart from the zombie one have any singleplayer content or are they all multiplayer stuff? I'd be happy to shell out some money for sp content but not multi since I don't play that too much.

Also did that patch fix any gameplay issues other than the ones listed? Things like multiple Jacks in the barn towards the end of the game and the game freezing and stuff like that?

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK
The co-op mission that has claimed the most casualties in my games has always been the one where you have to defend that one town at night. People I play with always seem to randomly get taken out by those loving cannons up on the hill.

Edit: I'm a bit conflicted about the upcoming DLC. On one hand it'll be cool to have a few new characters to use, but on the other hand I have a feeling that 80% of the people will just use the Red character because he's a badass that looks like John Marston.

Rascar fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 5, 2010

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Just got the game yesterday and played a bit after work today. Got up to saving the lady from being hung quest. What a great game.

I had this lady screaming running out a of bar for me to help her with some sleazy looking guy chasing her. I dismounted my horse and ran over to save her.. but should I shoot him dead or in the leg? I hesitated.. and he stabbed the gently caress out of her.. I felt really bad. :(

Some poor bartender will have to scrape that assholes brains off the porch tomorrow morning.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Veg posted:

I hesitated.. and he stabbed the gently caress out of her.. I felt really bad. :(

Whenever you're not sure whether you want to kill some ne'er-do-well or just run him off, just enter deadeye and shoot him in his weapon hand or leg. If he dies, he was too weak for the West and shouldn't have been terrorizing innocent people anyway. If he drops his weapon or falls over, lasso him. If he keeps his feet and shoots back, he is obviously a hardened outlaw and must be killed at once, for the good of the people.

RDR is more fun when you play like some kind of cowboy inquisitor.

I always mercilessly slaughter every member of a lynch mob, even if it means shooting them in the back while they flee. The first two random, open-world, "please save a person from being hung" events I got were some black guy begging me to rescue his black friend from being lynched by rednecks, and some guy screaming for help because a gang of bandits was hanging his wife. gently caress lynch mobs.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Another new patch and I've still never managed to connect to a single multiplayer game. :(

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Whenever you're not sure whether you want to kill some ne'er-do-well or just run him off, just enter deadeye and shoot him in his weapon hand or leg. If he dies, he was too weak for the West and shouldn't have been terrorizing innocent people anyway. If he drops his weapon or falls over, lasso him. If he keeps his feet and shoots back, he is obviously a hardened outlaw and must be killed at once, for the good of the people.

RDR is more fun when you play like some kind of cowboy inquisitor.

I always mercilessly slaughter every member of a lynch mob, even if it means shooting them in the back while they flee. The first two random, open-world, "please save a person from being hung" events I got were some black guy begging me to rescue his black friend from being lynched by rednecks, and some guy screaming for help because a gang of bandits was hanging his wife. gently caress lynch mobs.

If anybody tries to steal my horse I whistle to make my horse buck them off then I injure them in the foot and slowly chase them for miles across the desert

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Mr Cuddles posted:

If anybody tries to steal my horse I whistle to make my horse buck them off then I injure them in the foot and slowly chase them for miles across the desert

If anybody tries to steal my horse I lasso him, pour bait on him, and then while coyotes are eating him I throw a fire bottle on the whole screaming clusterfuck because that horse and I have been through wars and catastrophes together, and anyone who tries to steal it has forfeited all right to complain when I murder him horribly.

I rescue prostitutes, I spare defeated enemies, I hand out money to nuns and rescue Mexican prisoners-of-war, but so help me God if you try to steal my beloved horse I will gently caress you up, sir.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
How do you get animals to attack tied up people? Or are you just role playing?

The animals ignore the hogtied people for me no matter how much bait I put on them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Really? That's odd. It seems really hit-and-miss for me but I'll usually see wolves or other things amble over and crowd around bait I've put on hogtied people.

Come to think of it, I don't know if they actually attack them because I only do this to nuke the whole shebang with dynamite or a fire bottle anyway. I guess that says something about me.

e: God drat it, that's going to bother me, now. I'm going to test it when I get home.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 5, 2010

Ace of Knaves
May 8, 2009
So, I was wondering if anybody else has had some serious issues with the new patch in multiplayer?

Last night, when starting a new session, I whistled for my horse in Armadillo. Turns out the thing was stuck in a barn, jammed sideways in a stable. No amount of manipulating the thing would get it out, and I ended up teleporting to another location in order to call it again. Once I got on the thing, it slowly started to sink through the terrain, and by the time I got to my destination, it was knee-deep in the dirt.

During one gang-territory clearing, I ran into a enemy that couldn't be targeted, and proceeded to blast the living hell out of me through any cover I ducked behind. Once he killed me, I apparently respawned in a Hell dimension or something, infinitely falling. At least I was entertained, because my character's flailing left after-images, basically turning me into a human kaleidoscope. I had to quit the game entirely in order to get any control back.

I've never ran into any problems with 1.02, so I'm assuming that this new patch is buggy as hell. Also, they took out the knife/dead-eye? Goddamn it, that was my "go-to" for griefing dickheads.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Hey ho. DLC trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-legends-red-dead/702549

All Red Dead Revolver Characters revealed. Let's go Jack Swift!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Holy poo poo, you can play as Pig Josh.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
Oh, thank god the last character was Jack Swift. The 8th character never showed up in the screens they released and I thought for sure it'd be Diego.

Wish they'd included Tall Trees (Well, some place that's not Manzanita), but I'm good with Blackwater and Thieves Landing. I was hoping they'd use Cochinay this time around, but I get this feeling they're waiting on the next DLC pack's "Attack and Defend" mode for that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I don't understand is why they still haven't really released anything involving Dutch's hideout or the crashed steamboat. Both are pretty cool areas and seem like no-brainer gang hideouts but you only ever really go there once in single player and have no reason to go there in multi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

muscles like this? posted:

Something I don't understand is why they still haven't really released anything involving Dutch's hideout or the crashed steamboat. Both are pretty cool areas and seem like no-brainer gang hideouts but you only ever really go there once in single player and have no reason to go there in multi.

It seems like they completely forgot about West Elizabeth in multiplayer. Kind of a shame as its probably the best zone.

• Locked thread