Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

the wizards beard posted:

What tuning do you use? 31 and 62Hz are near the low B on a 5 string bass and a 7 string guitar respectively, if you don't tune that low then can only help by cutting out low-frequency noise (but lots of guitar amps, pedals and speakers will do that anyway)

there's still an undertone component to any harmonic vibration, but 31 Hz might be getting a little gimmicky. For reference, the lowest you can year is about 20 Hz, and 31 Hz is less than an octave above that (er, not you, the guy you responded to).

However, at similar price and function I give MXR the edge on quality. Their gear is pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

CalvinDooglas posted:

there's still an undertone component to any harmonic vibration

No there isn't, that's what a harmonic series is. There might be lower resonant modes of your instrument that can be detected by the pickups but they're going be very inharmonic.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
I've been shopping for a delay pedal, and I've narrowed it down to two choices - the EHX Studio Memory Man with Hazarai and the Malekko Ekko 616. One's digital, one's analog - I've listened to Youtube demos of both, and I think I like the sound of the Ekko a little bit better, but the Memory Man has so many features that it's hard to just write it off.

Anyone have any hands-on experience with either? I tend to play with a lot of crazy fuzzes, so if one handles dirt better, I'd love to know.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
I love the hell out of my SMMH and I highly recommend it but unfortunately I can't provide much of the perspective you're looking for as I haven't used the Ekko.

My SMMH has no trouble with heavy fuzz in front of it's input. And if noise is your thing, you gotta try a nice fuzz AFTER the delay in your chain. Soundscapey.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I've never used an Ekko either, but my SMMH is seriously my favorite pedal to play around with.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
What polarity are Boss power power supplies? I bout an RC-2 the other day, and of course they tell me to get their own supply, which wouldn't be nearly as annoying if they didn't purposefully not tell me the polarity. I have a center negative one lying around right now and I want to know if I can use that.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Boss power supplies are center-negative. Just make sure you have the right current output and plug geometry. I had a cheap third-party one whose plug was a teeny bit too small, so it would disconnect if bumped.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

HappyHippo posted:

What polarity are Boss power power supplies? I bout an RC-2 the other day, and of course they tell me to get their own supply, which wouldn't be nearly as annoying if they didn't purposefully not tell me the polarity. I have a center negative one lying around right now and I want to know if I can use that.
its a boss, just plug it in and see if it works :xd:

moogerfoogers are one of the few things Ive run across to want reverse polarity, and boss stuff is notoriously hard to kill

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

CalvinDooglas posted:

a solid state amp, and turning those up won't make them sound any better.

not in the same way it makes a valve amp sound better but it definitely makes a difference to my ears

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I'm looking at getting a reverb pedal to add a bit of depth to solos and leads (I play through an Engl Fireball if that helps, metal obviously). After some research it looks like the EHX Holy Grail Plus or Marshall Reflector will be the go, I'm on a bit of a budget otherwise I'd spring for the TC Electronic reverb and be done with this dilemma. Any suggestions either way, or other pedals I should look at?

edit: I don't need stereo or reverse so something pretty basic should do I think

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Processaurus/Line+6+expression+switch.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

So could someone explain how the hell this circuit mod works? Assuming the expression pedal input is always closed, how the gently caress does the 10k resistor ever do anything hooked to both legs? Am I wrong in assuming "tip of exp -> led -> 10k res -> switch -> ground of exp" is the correct wiring?

There's like drat near zero info on the line 6 stompbox mods because every rear end in a top hat on the internet wants to charge me 3 times the price of parts just for a piece of poo poo schematic like that or sell me the parts at like 500% markup.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

membranoid posted:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Processaurus/Line+6+expression+switch.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

So could someone explain how the hell this circuit mod works? Assuming the expression pedal input is always closed, how the gently caress does the 10k resistor ever do anything hooked to both legs? Am I wrong in assuming "tip of exp -> led -> 10k res -> switch -> ground of exp" is the correct wiring?

There's like drat near zero info on the line 6 stompbox mods because every rear end in a top hat on the internet wants to charge me 3 times the price of parts just for a piece of poo poo schematic like that or sell me the parts at like 500% markup.

As far as I can make out, the proper EX-1 pedal is a 10k variable resistor operated by a treadle. i.e. you can have the treadle fully forward, fully back or anywhere in between.

The schematic there, just gives you fully forward, or fully back:
When the switch is closed, it shorts the resistor out which represents one end of the pedals sweep. The resistance at the plug = 0
When the switch is open the LED lights up, and the 10k resistor conducts. this is the other end of the pedal's sweep. Resistance at plug = 10k

I guess the use of this is to switch between two presets instead of sweeping between?

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 13, 2010

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
Yea that's exactly the use for the mod. So if I understand correctly it should have a completely open no resistance circuit (instead of no connection at all) to simulate the heel position of the pedal and the 10k resistor on the switch to simulate the toe position.

edit: No wait I think I get it, when the switch is closed it bypasses the led and resistor (least resistance :facepalm:) and when it is open it is forced to travel through them.

membranoid fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 14, 2010

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Exactly.

Your edit is correct.

with the first part, just to clear things up:

quote:

So if I understand correctly it should have a completely open no resistance circuit (instead of no connection at all) to simulate the heel position of the pedal and the 10k resistor on the switch to simulate the toe position.

If it were completely open it's effectively infinite resistance (which is the same as not having the pedal connected), shorted out is no resistance, i.e. heel position.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
Quick question:

With DSP-based pedals (specifically I'm talking about reverb pedals like the Holy Grail, Hardwire RV-7 ,etc), does the blend knob mix in a fully dry signal (ie untouched by the DSP chip and completely undigitsed) or is it a case of the signal going to the DSP chip, being digitised, getting split into dry and wet, processed, then analogised, then to the output?

I don't mean to incite the old analog/digital debate, and I know the bottom line is "if it sounds good, who cares", but so far I've managed to get good sounding stuff that is also analog and if I can, I'd like to keep it that way.

EDIT for clarification: The point is I'm happy to get a DSP-based pedal if allows me to output a mix of completely analog dry signal and digital wet, so I want to get a reverb pedal that allows me to do this.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Some do and some don't. There is endless debate online as to which pedals are which and if it even matters

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?

the wizards beard posted:

Some do and some don't. There is endless debate online as to which pedals are which and if it even matters

Cheers. For what it's worth, someone on TGP quotes a Digitech support rep talking about the Hardwire DL-8:

"When the delay is off, it is in true bypass. When the delay is on, the dry signal is completely analog (no AD or DA conversions) and the wet signal is digital. The "Level" knob on the pedal is an analog control of the wet signal."

Presumably that's the same for the RV-7!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Does anyone have any experience with the Way Huge Swollen Pickle? I'm thinking about picking one up, and want to know if I'm missing any massive flaws, or if it's as cool of a fuzz as it looks.

Ozymandius
Oct 9, 2007

Is there any suggestions on Compressor placement to help reduce/remove the white noise that comes on with it? Its very subtle, but with any dirt, it becomes a bit more obvious with the pick attack.

Trying to use it for some added sustain.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ozymandius posted:

Is there any suggestions on Compressor placement to help reduce/remove the white noise that comes on with it? Its very subtle, but with any dirt, it becomes a bit more obvious with the pick attack.

Trying to use it for some added sustain.

Typically you have to use a noise gate and strike a balancing act between the compressor noise opening the gate and the gate killing your sustain.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 9, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MXR makes 6 and 10 band EQs for $65 and $115, respectively

Behringer makes one for $30

Rackmount 10 band EQs are a dime a dozen on craigslist

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 9, 2020

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, the MXR 10-band is widely used and well regarded.

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH
I've read some reviews that say that the korg pitchblack tuner pops when you turn it on, any goons have any experience with this?

I really don't want any more pedals that pop

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Hungry Joe posted:

I've read some reviews that say that the korg pitchblack tuner pops when you turn it on, any goons have any experience with this?

I really don't want any more pedals that pop

I've got one and haven't had any problems with mine popping. The switch is even a "soft" one (don't know the technical term) that doesn't click when you step on it.

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008
Let's revisit devi ever's pedals. I'm thinking about buying a Legend of Fuzz because it looks like the NES Zelda cart and it would make a fantastic impulse buy. I've never owned a fuzz though.

Also this thread made me hook up my Boss SD-1 and try and fiddle with it to find some good sounds.

Bonus content: When I was in elementary school I threw away a big muff and a small stone I inherited because I had no idea what they were.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Tsunami Redux posted:

Let's revisit devi ever's pedals. I'm thinking about buying a Legend of Fuzz because it looks like the NES Zelda cart and it would make a fantastic impulse buy. I've never owned a fuzz though.

Also this thread made me hook up my Boss SD-1 and try and fiddle with it to find some good sounds.

Bonus content: When I was in elementary school I threw away a big muff and a small stone I inherited because I had no idea what they were.

I've got a Bit (that's the pedal you're referring to), and I'm not sure it's a good "first" fuzz. If you're looking at Devi's pedals and are tip-toeing in, I'd recommend checking out either the Hyperion or the Vintage Fuzz Master - both are really starter-friendly pedals that have a lot of great tones. The Torn's Peaker or its metal sibling Aenima are also pretty usable in a lot of situations.

I love my Bit, but it's a really finicky, ultra-loud mess that sounds like a buzzsaw - which means it does exactly what I bought it for, but it isn't the most versatile pedal on Devi's roster.

If you want to go all out, I'd really recommend a Shoegazer. $200 gets you a VFM and a TP in one box.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Zvex Fuzz Factory. If you're into fuzz, do yourself a favor and check them out. Demo video here.

The Vexter line is the same thing, just mass-produced in China or someshit, I couldn't tell a difference between them in a side-by side comparison with my own gear, so I went with the Vexter and haven't looked back.

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008
I checked out the shoe gazer and apparently it's a Soda Meiser and a Torns Peaker combined. I also saw the Bit Mangler, which is a Bit and a VFM with some extra controls and effects. The shoe gazer looks pretty neat, but really in all the demo videos all the pedals sound great. I read some reviews and some people saw Devi's pedals hiss and most of the settings are unusable. Are these people just crusty old guitarists that think the Big Muff sound is all there is to fuzz?

I read about the Fuzz Factory too; people say most of what you dial in is unusable noise and it takes a lot of tweaking to find something good. I have a hard time dialing in stuff on my Boss pedals with two knobs let alone this thing with five. Is it hard to use? (As a side note I did see someone pull off some good 8-bit sounds with one, which is cool.)

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Tsunami Redux posted:

I checked out the shoe gazer and apparently it's a Soda Meiser and a Torns Peaker combined. I also saw the Bit Mangler, which is a Bit and a VFM with some extra controls and effects. The shoe gazer looks pretty neat, but really in all the demo videos all the pedals sound great. I read some reviews and some people saw Devi's pedals hiss and most of the settings are unusable. Are these people just crusty old guitarists that think the Big Muff sound is all there is to fuzz?

I read about the Fuzz Factory too; people say most of what you dial in is unusable noise and it takes a lot of tweaking to find something good. I have a hard time dialing in stuff on my Boss pedals with two knobs let alone this thing with five. Is it hard to use? (As a side note I did see someone pull off some good 8-bit sounds with one, which is cool.)

Whoops - sorry about the Shoegazer gaffe. The SM is a pretty good circuit, too.

There are a lot of tone snobs who do get all butthurt if you try to get any guitar tone that isn't a replica of Gary Rossington's slide guitar in Freebird, but there is a degree of truth to the commentary. Some of Devi's pedals do make a lot of ambient noise, but not all of them. The other thing is that since they're all hand-made, no two sound identical.

The Bit is actually nicely gated, so there's not a ton of noise when you aren't playing. Prior to getting my WMD Geiger Counter, I got some amazing 8-bit tones by running a Ruiner into the Bit (I don't much care for the Ruiner on its own, unfortunately).

If you're looking at the Manglers, I got a Dream Mangler (Disaster Fuzz + VFM) a couple of months back, and it's kicked every fuzz aside from my custom DE twin (Ruiner + Bit) off my chain. I'd imagine that the Bit Mangler would be good fun as well.

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Fuzz stuff

No biggie on the confusion, I don't know the difference between them anyway.

I might be swayed into purchasing a shoe gazer or something if it really is that good, but I don't think I'm man enough to buy one of the three hundred dollar manglers as a "Babby's first fuzz."

Also I just want to throw out there that I have pretty much zero experience with fuzz and really effects in general. I spent most of my time (years) playing my electric unplugged, but since I bought a Vox vt30 with a headphone jack I've been getting more into playing plugged in. I was using a metal zone for years and just recently picked up a DD-3 and a standard crybaby.

I've pretty much just been enamored with the idea of getting crazy 8-bit sounds out of my guitar after seeing the bit. After checking devi's website I've realized I need fuzz in my life.

Have you actually used a shoe gazer?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Tsunami Redux posted:

You CAN dial in a bunch of stuff that's unusable without a GOOD noisegate, yes.

It DOES take a lot of tweaking to find something distinctive and different. Dialing in something 'good' is as easy as following the generic setup guide (shows you where to put dials).

I think it's an incredibly easy pedal to use, because once you have an idea of the sound you want, you start dialing it in. Each knob has a specific function, they DO play off each other, but seriously, if you want a 'fuzz' sound, it's in there.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Can someone point me in the direction of a bass pedal that can replicate this sound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uA-jLrWaAs

I know it isn't super unique, but it really appeals to me. It's muff-like, but I'm not sure what exactly has that sound but also retains the low end. The only fuzz-fuzz pedals I've owned are a Bass Big Muff and Devi Ever Shoegazer, and neither sounded quite like this...I wasn't really into the BBM and the SG isn't big on lows.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Achtane posted:

Can someone point me in the direction of a bass pedal that can replicate this sound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uA-jLrWaAs

I know it isn't super unique, but it really appeals to me. It's muff-like, but I'm not sure what exactly has that sound but also retains the low end. The only fuzz-fuzz pedals I've owned are a Bass Big Muff and Devi Ever Shoegazer, and neither sounded quite like this...I wasn't really into the BBM and the SG isn't big on lows.

Maybe give this a try, I have my sights set on it myself http://wrenandcuff.com/site/the-stompboxes/the-pickle-pie-b/

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I could be hearing it wrong (crappy headphones at work) but it sounds to me more like a REALLY heavy overdrive from a tube bass amp rather than fuzz. And aside from buying a tube amp, the only way I've experienced getting great sounds like that is through the Tech 21 Character Series pedals:

Oxford (Meant to emulate an Orange amp): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgKLgKJQV_g
At 0:31

Leeds (Meant to emulate a Hiwatt amp): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyqIh99P2Q
At 0:43

VT Bass (Meant to emulate an Ampeg SVT and a B-25): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8kdWpB3U4
Various parts throughout. This is the one I own.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

In my experience, you can actually get great bass overdrive sounds from the DOD 250 overdrive.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Hmm...Pickle Pie B, possibly. I had a VT Bass and while it did make a mighty fine Ampeg sound, I decided that it wasn't needed and sold it. Now I kind of want it again.

My favorite OD pedal on bass was my Way Huge Pork Loin, but I had to sell that to help pay bills. I might try out the Swollen Pickle or Fat Sandwich.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Tsunami Redux posted:

No biggie on the confusion, I don't know the difference between them anyway.

I might be swayed into purchasing a shoe gazer or something if it really is that good, but I don't think I'm man enough to buy one of the three hundred dollar manglers as a "Babby's first fuzz."

Also I just want to throw out there that I have pretty much zero experience with fuzz and really effects in general. I spent most of my time (years) playing my electric unplugged, but since I bought a Vox vt30 with a headphone jack I've been getting more into playing plugged in. I was using a metal zone for years and just recently picked up a DD-3 and a standard crybaby.

I've pretty much just been enamored with the idea of getting crazy 8-bit sounds out of my guitar after seeing the bit. After checking devi's website I've realized I need fuzz in my life.

Have you actually used a shoe gazer?

I haven't personally used a Gazer, but I recommend it because it's the most recommended pedal every time someone pops onto Devi's board and asks where's a good place to start.

I think a good ol' Big Muff is a perfectly acceptable first fuzz, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
If you do buy a Shoe Gazer, don't do what I did and end up with an older model one because it was bought on Ebay. On the older models, the right side (Torn's Peaker?) can only be engaged if the left side is as well -- you can make it independent yourself, but its just easier to get a newer model which is independent by default.