Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

-Inu- posted:

I hear Nashville is a really lovely track, though.

Well yeah, but how many places offer track days at night under the lights? I've never heard of any others, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
so we've decided at the shop i work at to field a vintage race team. got ourselves a cheapo basket case old cb350 we're gonna fix up and enter in the AHRMA sportsman 350 class. one of the guys is gonna take a race class at new hampshire speedway or something, then we'll be the next mv agusta and win everything.

the most important part has yet to be decided, though: paint scheme.

and it seems rather hard to find track suitable tires in the right size (18" rims). although i did find that avon makes some kind of "vintage race" tires...

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

and it seems rather hard to find track suitable tires in the right size (18" rims). although i did find that avon makes some kind of "vintage race" tires...

So does Dunlop and I believe Metzeler even still makes slicks that'll fit.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Well yeah, but how many places offer track days at night under the lights? I've never heard of any others, anyway.

Were you at STT's last event at Nashville? In April?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

TheUltimateCool posted:

Were you at STT's last event at Nashville? In April?

Nope. I haven't done a trackday yet, but I plan to shortly once my finances are more stable. Alabama has a ton of world class tracks with really cheap trackdays all around it, and several little tracks with minuscule entry fees.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Blaster of Justice posted:

So does Dunlop and I believe Metzeler even still makes slicks that'll fit.
well slicks aren't allowed in ahrma. and i didn't see anything other than standard street tires in the parts catalogs i've been thumbing through. except for that avon.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I take it you aren't allowed to just fit 17s?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
How do I know when my tires are too worn to pass a track day inspection?

I'm trying to do my first track day in a couple of weeks, and my tires have about 450 miles on them. It seems ridiculous to buy a whole new set just to run those (what the school is recommending.) Looking at the rear I can see it is slightly flatter in the center but due to my own inattention I have no idea if that is just the profile of the tire (Dunlop Q2) or from the wear of commuting.

I don't have a problem buying a set of Pilot Powers online since they are so cheap but it is kind of a pain in the rear end to find a place around me that will mount tires I didn't buy from them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you're not at or past the wear bars, you're fine.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:
In the past I've always ridden my bike to (and sometimes back from) track days, but now that my wife's riding too we're going to trailer the bikes. Question for the trailer crew - if I've got a flat wooden trailer floor, do I need to bolt on some sort of chock for the front wheel or will the bikes be stable enough with just tie-downs?

I always thought three tie-downs per bike was plenty, but the guy I bought the trailer from disagreed.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Bird-o-matic posted:

In the past I've always ridden my bike to (and sometimes back from) track days, but now that my wife's riding too we're going to trailer the bikes. Question for the trailer crew - if I've got a flat wooden trailer floor, do I need to bolt on some sort of chock for the front wheel or will the bikes be stable enough with just tie-downs?

I always thought three tie-downs per bike was plenty, but the guy I bought the trailer from disagreed.

I hauled my bike 11hrs round trip with only tiedowns and it did ok. However, after getting some chocks I'd not want to gently caress around with tiedowns only ever again. I just got the cheapo harbor freight chocks and they work great. It's nice to be able to roll the bike up on the trailer and have it stay upright while you strap it down, and have the front of the chock act as a firm point to put tension to, instead of relying on forward/rearward strap tension to hold the bike.

I've only ever used three tiedowns and have never had an issue in thousands of miles of transport.

If you want to be REALLY baller, get the pit bull strapless restrain system so I can live vicariously through you. I was on the verge of getting one for my bike but honestly am glad I did not, due to the huge variety of bikes that have been on my trailer. If you know you're only going to be hauling one or two of the same bikes around all the time they're definitely the way to go.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Z3n posted:

If you're not at or past the wear bars, you're fine.

Welp I went to go examine my wear bars (which I could not find anywhere on either tire) and discovered I have a nail or pin or something stuck into my rear.

I guess it's new tire time! Boy I sure do love trying to find a place that won't hassle me if I didn't buy the super overpriced tires from them..

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Welp I went to go examine my wear bars (which I could not find anywhere on either tire) and discovered I have a nail or pin or something stuck into my rear.

Good thing it didn't end up in your tyre! Those are expensive.

:downsrim:

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I guess it's new tire time! Boy I sure do love trying to find a place that won't hassle me if I didn't buy the super overpriced tires from them..

If you're not bringing the wheel in loose, also check they won't give you poo poo for not matching front and rear (unless of course you're replacing both or buying the same again). This is the other usual wheeze for selling you a new tyre.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Spent Sunday at ORP with Zool. I brought the Duc, he brought his KTM, the track brought the good times.

First few sessions were pretty slow, I had to relearn the track on a superbike VS the KTM (did one full day on the 690 previously), and it was a completely different experience.

Then Zool and I got some instruction on the proper lines and spent two sessions just drilling the line not trying to go fast, and then by the end of the day we were both just religiously sticking to the line and blowing past people. Good times. Felt good to finally do some goin' fast on the streetfighter as well; due to the ridiculous nature of that thing you really can't wind it out on the street.

Fun fact: It took me about 2 hours to track prep my SF (Swapping on a cheap tank I bought on ebay, removing bar ends & removing the tail lights). It takes about a minute, maybe a minute and a half if you stop to drink your beer a little to track prep the KTM.

Anyway, here is some video. I used a GoPro Hero Wide on my SF for the first time I borrowed and I loving loved it. So much better than the ContourHD for usability. I'll be buying a GoPro soon. Downside is unbeknownst to me it only had a 1GB video card, so it was full the first session I recorded. So the only video I have is from the session before the CR taught me the line and I got fast with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPMhDjU_Ch8

Zool used the ContourHD, aka WindNoiseHD at the end of the day, and got some pretty cool video of him on the 690 battling a Aprilia SXV 55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DE5GxjtL7I

Awesome day

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 2, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
that track looks really, really fun. I want to ride a track with some elevation changes :saddowns:. All three that I've ridden at are flat as a loving pancake.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

that track looks really, really fun. I want to ride a track with some elevation changes :saddowns:. All three that I've ridden at are flat as a loving pancake.

The video really doesn't do it justice. It was designed by a guy who used to design roller coasters and you can really tell. The appropriately named 'half pipe' is so much fun on a bike.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

The video really doesn't do it justice. It was designed by a guy who used to design roller coasters and you can really tell. The appropriately named 'half pipe' is so much fun on a bike.

Totally understand on the video not really showing how dramatic everything is. I have noticed the same thing with my gopro, especially now that I've used it on dirt. When it looks like it does in your video I know it's totally nuts when you're experiencing it firsthand :)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
We have the most beautiful track here in Denver - so far away from most of you all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0z4156Wsoc

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Jabs posted:

We have the most beautiful track here in Denver - so far away from most of you all...

My original plan for my trip out west included a stop at HPR but I'm not sure if they're running a day when I'll be going through there now (trip got pushed back). Also, I can't believe the speed disparity in that run group :psyduck:

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jabs posted:

HPR is great. I'm bike-less right now, but I've been corner working for the MRA this season to get out there to at least watch the racing.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Going up to Loudon, NH on my F2 on Friday. Got some new Pilot Powers on, Water Wetter in my coolant system, and I'm ready to rock. Any goons gonna be there? It's through Penguin Racing School.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Going up to Loudon, NH on my F2 on Friday. Got some new Pilot Powers on, Water Wetter in my coolant system, and I'm ready to rock. Any goons gonna be there? It's through Penguin Racing School.

Have fun killing yourself. Loudon is a death trap

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

TheTrend posted:

Have fun killing yourself. Loudon is a death trap

Or alternatively, it's a fun track and should be a great experience?

Main danger - other penguin schoolers. The last one I saw was years ago, but it was a bumper crop of about 50 guys all trying to fit onto the circuit at once. OK, maybe not exactly 50, but pretty close!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Trackday went super great at Loudon today! My '94 F2 kicked a bunch of new sportbike rear end so I'm newly proud and confident in both my abilities and my ride. Here's two pics my girlfriend took while I was riding...still waiting on the pro photos to get uploaded. The instructor to student ratio was perfect...3:1 or so, and at least in my class, there were only about 15 people on track at the same time, which meant plenty of open space. To top it off, the track has lots of great technical turns and I found it a blast to ride on.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 7, 2010

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

frozenphil posted:

Nope. I haven't done a trackday yet, but I plan to shortly once my finances are more stable. Alabama has a ton of world class tracks with really cheap trackdays all around it, and several little tracks with minuscule entry fees.

I don't guess any of them happen to be in Southern Alabama, near the Florida line? We've got very little that I can find here in the Panhandle.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Track days are the best days

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
nice helmet

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

lovely day at VIR yesterday. See https://www.wera.com. I was in that race. hosed up my bike properly in the last lap of the restart of same race. Bleh.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I need to get in at least one day at ORP before the end of the season. I ran it last year before all of the curbing was put in and still had a freaking blast. The halfpipe is great but corners coming out of it are SO FUN, I was running it counter-clockwise and the long left-hand sweeper coming up and out of it was my favorite corner.

If you guys give me a heads up next time you guys are planning on going out maybe I could swing it. Awesome photos and video btw.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Heck yeah. I think I'm going to try and sneak in one more trip before the year is out, and maybe a trip to Thunder Hill. I've only ever ridden ORP clockwise and everyone that I talk to says it flows better. Knowing the track ab it counter-clockwise intimidates me a bit. Suddenly those sharp uphill turns are sharp downhill turns after straights.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Counterclockwise those two downhill braking zones are pretty intense but it makes it really easy to pass slower people because the less experienced guys braked really early and stayed really wide. That said it made for one hell of a workout by the end of the day. They didn't have a safety barrier on the wall that separates the hot pit from the track so I think thats why we didn't run clockwise. My good friend has been out there this year and had really good things to say about it clockwise so I really can't wait to get out there.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I did my first track day at Streets of Willow this weekend and had a total blast. I definitely learned a ton while out there and had a ton of fun doing it. I really wish I signed up for both days instead of just Saturday.

I can't wait to do another one.

Here's the old girl getting ready to open up on the front straight

My bike was the oldest one there by far but it also seemed to draw a ton of attention. Guess people like to see something out there other than the myriad supersports that usually come out.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
520 Drag Knee Every Day

Got a couple of hours of track time in recently, for the first time in much too long. Still not even close to as quick as I was before highsiding last year, but smoothness, baby steps and all that...

Track days are indeed the best days :iia:

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 10, 2010

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
2 friends of mine invited me to a Thunder Hill track day...the night before! So we quickly packed everything, loaded the bikes, and arrived an hour late and missed all the safety briefings. We all got our inspections and registration done and then started dressing up 2 minutes before the first C group went out and we made it just in time.

First friend had done 1 trackday and high sided in the 2nd lap of his first time out 5 months ago, second friend has never been to a track day. All of us in C group and we all had cameras, but mine was the only reliable one. I'm gonna splice all the footage later. First guy who high sided had a DRZ 400, second friend an R6 2010.

Pacific Track Time is the most unorganized, hooligan track day I've been too. People in C group were passing whenever they felt like it, ignoring a waving yellow flag, not signaling whether or not they were exiting the track, entering the track dangerously by crossing everyone's lines at low speed, and no one was called out on anything. People were clutch wheeling on the straight away and no one seemed to care. There was also barely any photography, which I blame on Got Blue Milk moreso. They didn't even photograph the last 2 hours.

There was around...2 or 3 instructors for 10 to 20 riders in C group. I regurgitated everything I learned from a ZoomZoom Trackdays instructor to my newbie friend, and by the end of the day he was racing around with 2:39 lap times on consistent, smooth lines. He actually outpaced me through all the turns (probably cause I weight 30lbs more, and have a cbr1000 and he has a r6).

Him in white/black behind me, me in red.

I was able to catch up lost laptime by out braking him. Whenever I braked really hard my handlebars would start vibrating in a way I've never felt before. I wonder if this front tire tells a story.

Both of them:

R6er took probably 20 photos of his tires (OMFG no more chicken stripez!) during the day. He even has his most shredded tire image as his cell phone wallpaper.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
That front looks fine, what you see is just blobs of rubber scrubbed off from other bikes tyres that your tyre has then run over and picked up.

If it feels wierd on hard braking though, check you aren't bottoming out the forks. A ziptie is good for this.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Bugdrvr posted:

I did my first track day at Streets of Willow this weekend and had a total blast. I definitely learned a ton while out there and had a ton of fun doing it. I really wish I signed up for both days instead of just Saturday.

I can't wait to do another one.

Here's the old girl getting ready to open up on the front straight

My bike was the oldest one there by far but it also seemed to draw a ton of attention. Guess people like to see something out there other than the myriad supersports that usually come out.
dude, that's awesome. It really is great to see different bikes out there. There was a nice KZ1000 last time I went out to Streets.

Pretty drat hot there huh? I hope you had an EZ-UP
Let me know next time you're gonna head out there I need to get out to some more track days before this winter.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

FlyinDoc posted:

If it feels wierd on hard braking though, check you aren't bottoming out the forks. A ziptie is good for this.
I checked the forks and there is a distinct line around a few inches from bottoming out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jack the Smack posted:

I checked the forks and there is a distinct line around a few inches from bottoming out.

Is your preload set right? You should be getting more travel than that.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

BlackMK4 posted:

Is your preload set right? You should be getting more travel than that.

This. It sounds like it's undersprung (not likely unless you're completely emaciated, like 100-120lbs) or much more likely the compression damping is set way too stiff. IIRC you want to aim for about 25mm of sag with you on the bike in full gear. You should be using the majority of your fork travel under very hard braking.

In other track related news I had a loving fantastic day at Motorsports Park Hastings :toot:. Had a ton of fun, other than being EXTREMELY loving HOT the weather was outstanding. Not an overabundance of crashes, only one person had to be picked up by the bus. As far as I understand he got his bell rung pretty good but no other serious injuries to speak of.

I'll write up a little more detailed trip report tomorrow when I'm not dead loving tired. It's a long drive from the middle of BFE nebraska to central Iowa.

PS I really wish I could have stayed for Sunday... there's a guy who showed up tonight with a MOTHERFUCKING BRAND NEW DESMOSEDICI, FULL ON TRACK SPEC BIKE who will be riding tomorrow. God it was amazing.

:italy::fap::dance::flashfap::mario::parrot::mario::flashfap::dance::fap::italy:

Edit -
unnnnnnfffffffffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

These are the kinds of pictures you take when you're relaxing completely soaked in sweat because it's loving 107F in the shade. Gotta love summer. The CBR in its natural environment :woop:

needknees fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Trackdays are the best days.

Some pics from my session last weekend at Sepang. I'm seriously out of shape and really stiff on the bike. I skipped the second session the next day because my legs were killing me and i think i strained something around my left knee/thigh.

Got another two sessions booked for the 11th and 12th of September, gonna do lots of training between now and then. Bought myself a bicycle to kick my fat rear end back into shape. Also lots of stretching is planned for.

I still had a good time though. Got some confidence back but still worried about lean angles. The instructors feedback was that i'm alot more comfortable on left handers, very stiff on the rights. You can see the guy who was guiding me along in this pic.

• Locked thread