Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Shaft drive is a closed system so it doesn't get as much poo poo on it as a chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ChiTownEddie posted:

So there are different types of drives such as shaft and chain (and others?), what are the advantages/disadvantages of them?

Chain:

Advantages -
Gearing changes are simple and easy
Easy maintenance

Disadvanges -
Frequent maintenance

Shaft:

Advantages
Less maintenance

Disadvantages
Gearing changes are difficult/impossible/expensive
Shaft jack can cause odd handling issues on the gas

Those are the basics, really.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Perfect!
Thanks for the info. There is so much random stuff to learn haha.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

The_Raven posted:

I've got a 1980 KZ440A1 (LTD) that I just picked up.

Hi there 80s Kawasaki buddy! My first bike was an 83 EN454, which I think is pretty close to your model.

Do you know if the PO rejetted the carbs to match the new air filters? It sounds like you have a bit of a lean condition. What do your plugs look like?

It could be either too much airflow from the new filter or it could be leaky carb boots. Try a spray test with WD40 to check if the boots are leaking.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Another disadvantage for shafts: The maintenance that is required for them can be a pain in the rear end, especially compared to chain maintenance.

And don't forget belts!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Endless Mike posted:

Another disadvantage for shafts: The maintenance that is required for them can be a pain in the rear end, especially compared to chain maintenance.

It's not that bad, honestly. I own two shaft driven bikes (one Honda, one Suzuki). Maintenance consists of draining the rear pumpkin and refilling with 80w90 gear oil around every 12,000 miles. There's no other cleaning, reoiling, or adjustments needed.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

ChiTownEddie posted:

Perfect!

Shafts are more parasitic in transfering the power from the engine to the rear wheel. Chains are a little more efficient. Belt drives are sort of inbetween.

I kind of wanted a shaft driven bike for a while but oiling/cleaning a chain every month or so isn't all that bad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So I put a new spark plug in and cleaned my carb, and I'm still not able to go over 50 mph. It feels like a complete loss of power at about 50% of the redline RPM, like its not getting gas or something. I'm clueless, it's a single cylinder bike so it can't be a misfiring cylinder. Any suggestions other than take it to a mechanic?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bottom Liner posted:

So I put a new spark plug in and cleaned my carb, and I'm still not able to go over 50 mph. It feels like a complete loss of power at about 50% of the redline RPM, like its not getting gas or something. I'm clueless, it's a single cylinder bike so it can't be a misfiring cylinder. Any suggestions other than take it to a mechanic?

What bike is it and how expensive would an eBay cdi be? Also did you check the coil an wiring?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

ChiTownEddie posted:

Perfect!

Don't forget failure modes:

Chain - when they go to moto heaven, they occasionally take chunks of engine with them.

Belt - politely exits the rear of the vehicle. Common last moves before a break are rapid downshifts and hard launches.

In both cases you're dead in the water, but belts are cheaper than engine guts. I've experienced neither of these things, so I can't tell you how to react to them at speed.

I had a KZ shaft, and it required nothing beyond draining and topping off the unit with the correct oil. Power delivery is a noticeably different, and may take a bit of getting used to--but it's just a handling characteristic and not some brain-reprogramming game changer like swapping to right-side shift.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Bottom Liner posted:

Quick check out there in webland says that KZ250s of the same vintage have been capped at 45-50 mph due to a pin hole or tear in the carb diaphragm. In one case it solved it, no post mortem on the other. Easy to check, not so easy to source. I leave it to the more proficient motorheads to yay/nay the possibility.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/mechanics-corner/78864-1980-kz250-engine-troubles.html

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1fn6w-i-have-a-kawasaki-kz-250-and-it-will-not-go-over-45-miles-an

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Marv Hushman posted:

Quick check out there in webland says that KZ250s of the same vintage have been capped at 45-50 mph due to a pin hole or tear in the carb diaphragm. In one case it solved it, no post mortem on the other.

This is quite possible, and so is a pinhole in the vacuum petcock diaphragm.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I pulled my carb diaphragm back out to check and I can't find a single pinhole, much less a tear, all the symptoms match up though, hmm.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Bottom Liner posted:

I pulled my carb diaphragm back out to check and I can't find a single pinhole, much less a tear, all the symptoms match up though, hmm.

Remove both the fuel and vacuum line from your carburetor, suck at the (thin) vacuum line and check that fuel flows steadily from the fuel line. If not the diaphragm in your petcock needs replacement. Have you checked floater closing hight and inspected the closing surface of the floater needle valve. You can the operation of the floater needle valve by lightly blowing and sucking at the fuel line attached to your carburetor. The valve should open and close with very little effort. It's a good idea to empty the bowl before you attempt this ;)

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 7, 2010

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The vacuum line being the tube on the bottom of the carb that is like a drainage line?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Bottom Liner posted:

The vacuum line being the tube on the bottom of the carb that is like a drainage line?

No, that's the overflow line. If you've don't have two lines to your petcock you don't have a vacuum petcock on your bike, and you can disregard the above advise. If this is the case start inspecting the float valve.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ok, all signs are pointing to a major lean running bike. My plugs were dry and sooty grey, which is a sign of leanness correct? The bike only runs idle when it is choked, unless it's been running a while but even then it can't idle long without dying, and I'm having the power issue at high speeds. I'm going to adjust the floats towards more gas and pray that fixes it.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 7, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If it was running fine before, the floats are not your problem, barring some sort of mechanical failure with them. Sounds like there's a fuel delivery problem, I'd check it by running fuel directly into the carbs from a slave tank, that'll help you isolate any issues with the petcock or fuel filter (if you have one).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah that didn't change anything. Bike is running better at idle and in first through fourth, but still no power in 5th. My only other guess is air filter, it has a generic green foam filter stuffed in the end of the air box, and has for at least the 1100 miles since I got the bike, should I change it or are there any cautions against using those things?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Changed air filter, no dice. Took it by kawasaki dealership and had the mechanic look at it, he was at a loss too, had no idea other than checking the valve clearance. gently caress.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Bottom Liner posted:

Changed air filter, no dice. Took it by kawasaki dealership and had the mechanic look at it, he was at a loss too, had no idea other than checking the valve clearance. gently caress.

Did he check compression?

However, I now suspect float valve to be the most likely fault.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Should I raise or lower it to make the bike run more lean? I think its running too rich, because at speed if I give it any choke it stalls out completely, like its being flooded.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
KLR650, been down for like a year. Recently cleaned the carb, and gave it its first test-ride today, it's popping under deceleration a whole bunch. Throttle response seemed a little sluggish. I'm planning on: checking the tightness of the exhaust header bolts, and checking the pilot screw again for the correct setting. Is it out or in to richen the mixture?

Anything else I should doublecheck?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

In will lean out the mixture, out will richen up the mixture.

Does it have new gas in it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Forgive me Z3n, for I have sinned, the gas is vintage 2009.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

Forgive me Z3n, for I have sinned, the gas is vintage 2009.

Hey, at least it's an easy thing to remedy :) I've made that mistake a few times before. :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Umm, I feel a bit dumb for not checking this earlier, but my chain is very very lose, like 2.5 inches or more of play. Obviously that's a problem, but could it be the cause of my troubles?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Bottom Liner posted:

Umm, I feel a bit dumb for not checking this earlier, but my chain is very very lose, like 2.5 inches or more of play. Obviously that's a problem, but could it be the cause of my troubles?

It's easy enough to adjust and find out! Just don't make it too tight.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

So I took my 1993 GS500e to get inspected yesterday, and it failed horribly:

Shock absorbers - fork seal leaking
Brakes - road test @20mph
Hydraulic system - rear possible air, not working correctly
pads - oil soak front
discs - front weak
tires - cracking
exhaust - leak at head, muffler loose
headlights - low beam inoperable
turn signals - mounting rear
chain - loose

Some of those are minor, and other things like the headlights and tires I knew I'd have to take care of, but the shop seemed to think the brakes and some other issues needed serious work. He's writing me up an estimate, but he said probably $800-1000 and if things looked bad once he opened it up it could be even more. The mechanic also told me that the bike is just overall in poor shape and I should consider just getting rid of it and buying a new one.

I'm going to take it somewhere else next weekend, but I only paid $1200 for the bike in the first place, so if they say the same, I'm not sure I can justify sinking that much into it.

I'm kind of torn, because I like the bike a lot, but if I could flip it back on CL to somebody else and get $1,000 back, I could take that and the repair money and get something in a little better shape.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I don't know, other than the front fork seals, everything looks really easy to fix. Header and muffler leak probably just needs to be reseated and torqued down. Brake issues? New pads, new fluid, and bleed the system. Low beam not working? Probably needs a new bulb. How much would they charge you for just the front fork seal work?

Why the gently caress would he tell you to get a new bike? Everything he mentioned is really minor. Is there something else wrong with the bike?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I think my chain needs an adjustment, I hear the chain whenever I engine brake, but no other times. Is that normal with a chain that needs adjustment?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Crayvex posted:

I don't know, other than the front fork seals, everything looks really easy to fix. Header and muffler leak probably just needs to be reseated and torqued down. Brake issues? New pads, new fluid, and bleed the system. Low beam not working? Probably needs a new bulb. How much would they charge you for just the front fork seal work?

That's good to know. It sounded like the brake work was the biggest part of the expense. I'll know more when I get the full estimate I guess. I think a few hundred of the total would have been for the tires, as well.

quote:

Why the gently caress would he tell you to get a new bike? Everything he mentioned is really minor. Is there something else wrong with the bike?

He basically said that he could fix those things and it would pass inspection, but that there would still be other problems with it. I think I'll just take it to another shop next weekend though, and get a second opinion on it. If I sink that much money into the bike, I'd want to be able to keep it for a while because I'd never be able to sell it at a price where I'd recoup any of that.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Besides the fork seals you could get all that fixed in a day with, excluding tires, probably around 100 bucks, maybe even less...

Forks seals would take a few hours to change, but they're far from a dificult job if you're at least a little bit willing to get your hands dirty.

If you choose to do all that and needs help, post here and we'll help.

:)

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've never really done any mechanical work, so I'd be a bit nervous about it, and I don't even have a garage or driveway or anything. If any of that is super beginner level though, I might be able to give it a shot, especially if I can convince a friend to let me borrow their garage.

I'll check out the service manual and see if any of it seems easy enough, but I don't really even know what half that stuff even means.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've never really done any mechanical work, so I'd be a bit nervous about it.

I don't really even know what half that stuff even means.

You will learn. When I bought my bike last year I didn't know a two-stroke from a four-stroke and had no idea how a carburetor worked. Since then I have dismantled and cleaned the carbs, changed the oil and oil filter, changed the brake fluid, fixed a cracked fairing, changed the entire charging system and now I'm about to do a valve adjustment. All from reading CA and the service manual.

GaiaFag
Jun 20, 2007
KING OF THE FURRIES (AUTOPILOT ON BITCH)
I'm sorry if this seems stupid, but I know little to nothing about motorcycles and I need some guidance. A buddy of mine and I are planning a trip from Las Vegas, NV to Grove City, PA and I've begun to look at bikes. My dad seems to know about motorcycles and swears that the best fit for the trip is going to be a Kawasaki KLR650 dual sport, or something similar and absolutely a 650. Like I said, I'm a know nothing about this. Is this bike really going to get me across country with little incidence? Also, are there any other better choices and maybe anything cheaper? Is there anything imperative I should know before I begin doing anymore planning? Any guidance is welcome.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Are you going A->B across country? If there's no dirt involved there's no real need for a big thumpy dual sport.

Pretty well anything with two wheels will get you across country. Finding something that is conformable enough to ride on all day that can carry all of your gear is the most important thing. That may be a KLR650, a ninja500, a busa, a cruiser, etc etc.

Local availability is gonna be important aswell

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GaiaFag posted:

I'm sorry if this seems stupid, but I know little to nothing about motorcycles and I need some guidance. A buddy of mine and I are planning a trip from Las Vegas, NV to Grove City, PA and I've begun to look at bikes. My dad seems to know about motorcycles and swears that the best fit for the trip is going to be a Kawasaki KLR650 dual sport, or something similar and absolutely a 650. Like I said, I'm a know nothing about this. Is this bike really going to get me across country with little incidence? Also, are there any other better choices and maybe anything cheaper? Is there anything imperative I should know before I begin doing anymore planning? Any guidance is welcome.

A klr is going to be one of your cheapest options, and they are indeed made for long trips such as this. A comofortab,e cruiser would also be a good choice, provided you're going to be on roads the whole time as mentioned above. Used Klrs can be had for around 3k, and make sure if you get one get a 2008 or newer, they had a major redesign that year with some nice changes and upgrades.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If your primary goal is to go distance on road, why the hell would you buy a 650 single? There are hundreds of other bikes I would choose for a trip like that, many of them cheaper. HP rules above all else when you're cruising on the freeway. At least take something like a GS500 or a Ninja 500 or Ninja 650/SV650 if you want to go naked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I just discovered after my longish ride on sunday that my bike is definitely not charging the battery. I ordered a Clymer manual for it, but does anyone have any insight as to whether this fix is going to be over my newbie head?