Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ShaneB posted:

These new five stars were way more work than they are worth... I think.

really nice touch with the side panel cutout
looks professional!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

FINALLY found a good condition, good price PA50II. So yellow it hurts:

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'd like some goon opinions about this purchase: 2005 Kinetic TFR 990mi $500

Craigslist posted:

Bought this Moped last year brand new, added High Performance, Exhaust, Carburator, Clutch, Larger pulley on rear. ( Power ) All stock parts go with the bike. Starts and runs good. 990 miles on bike and runninng strong. Will only except REAL CASH. Title in hand.

It's blue and has the 4 optional turn signal lights. I'm finding these new $850 free shipping. Add the signal lights and the performance kit, subtract 1000mi, would I be wrong showing up with $375-400 cash money?

Also, how fast can I expect this to carry my 115lb fiance? It's her toy/transport, so a 70cc kit is probably out. Does the carb exhaust or pulley wear the engine faster? Whats a reasonable engine life expectation before it needs a rebuild?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 29, 2010

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
ShaneB, any chance you'd trade that long seat for a regular (but adjustable) seat?

goku chewbacca posted:

Kinetics are utter trash, so don't even think about buying one.
Get a Puch with an E50 or a Hobbit.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY posted:

ShaneB, any chance you'd trade that long seat for a regular (but adjustable) seat?

You know, I'm not sure. I like the look of the regular seat on my buddy's Hobbit, but the long seat is huge and squishy. Let me see how I like it over time (the bike isn't running right, yet) and I'll let you know.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just A Little Bit Closer...

goku chewbacca posted:

Whats a reasonable engine life expectation before it needs a rebuild?

If the crate has been opened you are too late.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sweeeeet, diagnosed my issue on the Hobbit. I scrubbed the carb and it was still making GBS threads out after a half mile or so. I ordered a new petcock, as I expected it would be screwed, and lo and behold it was. I went to drain the fuel and it was just a tiny trickle of drips from the petcock. Pulled the petcock off and drained it the fast way. Screwed the new petcock in, fuel flow is great, bike runs great.

I put the Proma Circuit on and that thing is a phenomenal bolt-on exhaust. The powerband hits like one second after you roll on throttle and just hauls rear end to upper-mid 30's. I keep saying to myself that I want this to be my "city" bike, just hauling rear end up and down hills and not going too fast, but I know with a DR kit on this thing I'll easily make high 40's with power everywhere. I already have a fast Puch....

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

goku chewbacca posted:

You don't even have to believe us that these offbrand scooters/mopeds suck really bad. Look at all of them on craigslist with less than 10 miles. People ride them up the street once and realize how terrible they are and try to pawn them off to someone else.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you see "2008 scooter" in the title of a CL ad you know you're in trouble. All the CL ads for these cheap chinese clone scooters with no brand name of any kind in the description are hilarious. Who buys that poo poo?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone confirm that a regular adult drivers' license allows moped riding in NJ? I'm toying with possibly getting a moped to have some fun on since scooters require motorcycle licenses here.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

MJP posted:

Can anyone confirm that a regular adult drivers' license allows moped riding in NJ? I'm toying with possibly getting a moped to have some fun on since scooters require motorcycle licenses here.

Since I'm pretty bored right now, we might as well test if google still works:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/MotorizedBicycle.htm

Huraaaa!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MJP posted:

You are lucky, in NJ mopeds go at LEAST 10mph faster than anywhere else.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn
Hey guys, you might remember me from a while ago, I had the 1977 derbi tt variant.

So I finally got my moped up and running. Fixed the carb, fixed everything actually, and jetted it properly.

I just finished adjusting my throttle cable so that it properly gives the minimum throttle to the engine to keep it running. However I have this weird problem. If I go from having my throttle fully open, revving the engine out, and then just release the throttle, as the engine dies down, and revvs off, it just continues doing so until my engine completely dies. This happens every time I come to a complete stop, and I have to kick the engine to get it started again.

Why is this? How can I fix this?

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Check for air leaks

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MJP posted:

In Texas even mopeds require a full motorcycle license. I don't see too many of them around, probably for that reason.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY posted:

Check for air leaks

Honestly there are none right now. I just spent the past two months fixing airleaks and what not. This has always been a problem with the bike. Could be centrifugal clutch be the problem?

Also I am looking at some peds that are going for cheap. Do either of these two catch anyone's eye as particularly good or rare or interesting?

a 1985 Yamaha, thats all the info

And a 1975 Vespa Ciao Moped.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at a General 5 Star moped that runs, just has a fuel line leak. How hard is it to repair/replace a fuel line? I have no mechanical experience, but I've got hand tools and a basement I can work in.

They're asking $400 for it. Other than the fuel line, the seat needs to be recovered - shouldn't be an issue, I can just buy a replacement seat from a bike shop, right?

Here's the candidate: http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/1882265241.html

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MJP posted:

I'm looking at a General 5 Star moped that runs, just has a fuel line leak. How hard is it to repair/replace a fuel line? I have no mechanical experience, but I've got hand tools and a basement I can work in.

They're asking $400 for it. Other than the fuel line, the seat needs to be recovered - shouldn't be an issue, I can just buy a replacement seat from a bike shop, right?

Here's the candidate: http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/1882265241.html

Fuel line is quite possibly one of the easiest things to replace on a bike. Buy some 3/16" line, a fuel filter for good measure, and connect it to the fuel tank and the carb fuel inlet. And yeah, a ton of seats would fit. Generals use Minarelli engines, which aren't super obscure or anything, so it would be an OK bike for a newbie I guess.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

ShaneB posted:

Fuel line is quite possibly one of the easiest things to replace on a bike. Buy some 3/16" line, a fuel filter for good measure, and connect it to the fuel tank and the carb fuel inlet. And yeah, a ton of seats would fit. Generals use Minarelli engines, which aren't super obscure or anything, so it would be an OK bike for a newbie I guess.

This. However don't be suprised to find there are a few other problems they perhaps didn't mention. Go inspect the bike if you haven't already. Also its craigslist, so you might be able to get the price down from 400.

Also Shane, what do you think about the bikes above? You always have a good eye.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Woofington posted:

This. However don't be suprised to find there are a few other problems they perhaps didn't mention. Go inspect the bike if you haven't already. Also its craigslist, so you might be able to get the price down from 400.

Also Shane, what do you think about the bikes above? You always have a good eye.

I would get the Ciao as a curiosity only, and I dislike yamahopper style bikes like that. You honestly have one of the most desired bikes in mopedland. Derbis hit 40 stock and can somewhat easily be made to go 70. They have a beefy frame, are variated, and look good. Just spend your money on that. :)

Or sell it to me. I'm serious.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

ShaneB posted:

I would get the Ciao as a curiosity only, and I dislike yamahopper style bikes like that. You honestly have one of the most desired bikes in mopedland. Derbis hit 40 stock and can somewhat easily be made to go 70. They have a beefy frame, are variated, and look good. Just spend your money on that. :)

Or sell it to me. I'm serious.

Ha, with all the money I've put into this bike, she wouldn't be cheap anymore. She runs now, not well, but she runs and easily hits mid 30's.

edit: What would you be willing to offer? I am not sure if I could part with her yet. I think I'm in love with my moped.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Woofington posted:

Ha, with all the money I've put into this bike, she wouldn't be cheap anymore. She runs now, not well, but she runs and easily hits mid 30's.

edit: What would you be willing to offer? I am not sure if I could part with her yet. I think I'm in love with my moped.

It's OK. Don't want to take your baby! After awhile they become worth more to the owner than they do on the market, unless you just get tired of it and want something else eventually. Feel free to shoot me an email to sbeers at googles email.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also came across a General 5 Star with a Minarelli motor, serviced by a mechanic and in great rideable condition. He'll even deliver it, which is good because my car is too small and I'd have to pick it up.

He wants $500, won't move on the price. Kinda the max price I'm looking for. He'll throw in a parts bike, too. No pictures but the willingness to deliver indicates either he's desperate to get rid of it or he's desperate to sell it. He gave me a story about having to pay medical bills due to pancreatitis, recissioned from insurance, etc. Could be a sob story but the guy's home phone number is over a few truck buying/selling sites and he's got mucho other mopeds to sell.

Is this a scam brewing or a decent moped for the price? Also, would it hold a 6'2" guy, 190 lbs?

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just A Little Bit Closer...
Get it. Minarelli has a good amount of parts available and is dirt simple like a puch. If it comes with a part bike even better. Fix the parts bike up and you have two bikes.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

blugu64 posted:

In Texas even mopeds require a full motorcycle license. I don't see too many of them around, probably for that reason.

I looked this up because I was led to believe my entire life that a class C license worked for scooters/mopeds under 50cc in Texas. You're right though - you have to get either a moped or class M license to use any size.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have money burning a hole in my pocket and I don't have enough for a real motorcycle, but reading this thread has made me consider a moped.

I came across this: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1889855597.html

Suzuki FA50. Looks like it's in decent shape and I have a buddy who knows about bieks, so any carb questions I have can be answered by him. 500 is way too much for something that's just a toy to dick around with; maybe 300 tops?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Phone posted:

I have money burning a hole in my pocket and I don't have enough for a real motorcycle, but reading this thread has made me consider a moped.

Suzuki FA50. Looks like it's in decent shape and I have a buddy who knows about bieks, so any carb questions I have can be answered by him. 500 is way too much for something that's just a toy to dick around with; maybe 300 tops?

FA50 is the most disappointing bike you will get for yourself. No performance parts exist besides an exhaust that hasn't been in stock for a long time and kills your low end. A mysterious kit has popped up from time to time, but it's in super limited production and no one seems to have a good way to get it here. The FA50 is funny looking and slow, like 25-30mph max slow, and more like 27. My wife's also absolutely demolishes fuel for some reason, and the small tank makes for frequent fill-ups.

However, they do have some benefits. They are pretty great city bikes for start and go traffic, because their gearing is so stupid low that they tear off the line and climb hills well. They have a separate oil tank and oil injection, so you don't have to premix your 2-stroke oil and fuel. They are very reliable once you get the carb immaculate. They have turn signals, which is kind of handy for letting people know what you are doing. You can get nearly every part for them from Suzuki, still, as well.

Mine cost $100 from a yard sale, and just needed a total carb scrubbing to run just fine. $500 is way too high for the FA.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phone posted:

They're dead-on reliable, bordering on unkillable. They're slow, as ShaneB mentioned, but can get out of their own way as long as you're going below 30.

I did a frame-up resto on one, so they hold somewhat of a special place for me.

I wouldnt pay $500 for one though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Well, that's what I needed to hear about that bike. Now here are a few other questions: it looks like craigslist isn't the place to look around for very used and old mopeds, where should I be looking and what models should I be looking for?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Phone posted:

Well, that's what I needed to hear about that bike. Now here are a few other questions: it looks like craigslist isn't the place to look around for very used and old mopeds, where should I be looking and what models should I be looking for?

Craigslist is exactly the place to look for mopeds. That or the Moped Army buy/sell forum. You just need to be patient or be willing to drive farther. I've driven 2+ hours for peds before. I'm going 2 hours away with a buddy to get another Hobbit PA50-2 this weekend for him. Use stuff like Craigslook so you can search a large number of sites at once and give a mile radius to the search. Speeds things up, and you get images.

What models should you be looking for? Honestly none of them are ridiculously complex. I'd suggest a simple geared bike like a Puch or a Tomos before a somewhat more complex, variated bike like a Hobbit (aka PA50), but if you are at all mechanically inclined and can read you should be OK with nearly anything.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm just looking for something that could hit 40mph comfortably, take a couple of somewhat steep hills, and has some aftermarket stuff I can mess around with. I am mechanically inclined and I can't imagine these things requiring more than my chinese socket set.

There's this Cub near me, but the dude wants like 800 for it and it's the 90cc version. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1865743690.html

There's also a Peugeot 103 around: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1883346659.html

I'm just looking for some model names so I can cut out all of that chinese bullshit that I see on the streets.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Phone posted:

I'm just looking for something that could hit 40mph comfortably, take a couple of somewhat steep hills, and has some aftermarket stuff I can mess around with. I am mechanically inclined and I can't imagine these things requiring more than my chinese socket set.

There's this Cub near me, but the dude wants like 800 for it and it's the 90cc version. http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1865743690.html

There's also a Peugeot 103 around: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1883346659.html

I'm just looking for some model names so I can cut out all of that chinese bullshit that I see on the streets.

40mph comfortably on a stock moped isn't going to happen with anything besides a few select bikes that I'm not even that familar with. Most mopeds will go 25-30, unless they were artifically restricted to go 20mph for certain state laws. To be more clear, ALL these bikes are restricted by using exhaust pipes with no expansion chambers, restrictive air intake boxes, that kind of thing. The Puch 1 horsepower models, as an example, had ridiculously small intake ports in their cylinders and absurd gearing that kept your top speed at 20ish.

Simple example of getting more speed: You could get yourself in the mid-high 30's with a Puch, a 14mm bing carb (if you didn't already have one on there), an aftermarket exhaust pipe, and cutting a hole in your stock air box. Depending on the gearing that you got with your bike, of course, but new sprockets are cheap.

In nearly every state, a "moped" has to be 50cc or less, so 90cc scooters and poo poo don't count. They might be what you end up wanting, but in terms of being a legal moped they aren't the same.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phone posted:

Do you have an M endorsement or no? That cub requires a motorcycle license, and is quite a different machine from a moped.

The cub has a 4-speed manumatic transmission, and will do 40-ish. It is skewed farther towards the motorcycle end of the spectrum than the scooter end.

If thats the way you want to go though, cubs are great bikes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can get my M endorsement with no issue and pass the MSF. I have no qualms about getting a 125cc motorcycle (a real one), but I'm looking at getting something to scoot my way to class everyday since the buses around here are a pain in the rear end and sometimes walking sucks when it's ungodly hot outside.

I like the look of the Cub and it's more on the spectrum of real motorcycles, and it fits in more with my mantra of hating the ever-living poo poo out of those lovely 49.99999cc chinese scooters that people buy and then drive on 45mph roads. (note: I'd be riding on 35mph and under roads if I get a moped)

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Phone posted:

and I don't have enough for a real motorcycle, but reading this thread has made me consider a moped

Phone posted:

a 125cc motorcycle (a real one)
a moped is not some sort of low-budget "fake motorcycle"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It isn't a motorcycle unless if you need to get a motorcycle license for it. :colbert:

You do know what I mean, though. Most of you guys have picked up mopeds for sub-200 bucks and got them running for not much more. Ninja 250s are cheap on the sub-2000 side of things.

e: :irony:

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 10, 2010

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Phone posted:

It isn't a motorcycle unless if you need to get a motorcycle license for it. :colbert:
what i am saying is that mopeds are not a replacement for motorcycles and never will be. the culture and experience is totally different

apples and oranges, my friend

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phone posted:

I can get my M endorsement with no issue and pass the MSF. I have no qualms about getting a 125cc motorcycle (a real one), but I'm looking at getting something to scoot my way to class everyday since the buses around here are a pain in the rear end and sometimes walking sucks when it's ungodly hot outside.

I like the look of the Cub and it's more on the spectrum of real motorcycles, and it fits in more with my mantra of hating the ever-living poo poo out of those lovely 49.99999cc chinese scooters that people buy and then drive on 45mph roads. (note: I'd be riding on 35mph and under roads if I get a moped)

Well, if you're willing to get your M, then a Cub strikes a great balance between mopeds/scooters and motorcycles.

Its got the small footprint, gas mileage, flickability and general ride of most scooters, but its also got a 4-speed transmission, and beefier suspension, wheels and brakes that it borrows from the motorcycle world.

For squirting around traffic and in-town riding, the cub would be perfect. Also theres a huge aftermarket out there for them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cool, thanks for the input. Unfortunately, that's the only sub-1k Cub within 250 miles from where I live, and it's still pretty drat high up there. What do you think a fair price for a almost sorted out Cub 90 is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn
Hey ShaneB, one of these days I'd love to go cruising with you and/or come check out all your sweet mopeds.

• Locked thread