Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Woofington posted:

Hey ShaneB, one of these days I'd love to go cruising with you and/or come check out all your sweet mopeds.

Do you live in Michigan? They aren't that sweet! I only have 2 of them now, too. Besides my wife's FA, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

ShaneB posted:

Do you live in Michigan? They aren't that sweet! I only have 2 of them now, too. Besides my wife's FA, that is.

Wait I thought you lived in CA!? Nooooooooooooooo. Even if you only have two yeah, I love talking to mopeder's. Also you definitely know your stuff so I could probably learn some things!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Woofington posted:

Wait I thought you lived in CA!? Nooooooooooooooo. Even if you only have two yeah, I love talking to mopeder's. Also you definitely know your stuff so I could probably learn some things!

I just post a lot here. Plenty of people have made more rippin' bikes.

I also just broke a bolt off in my cylinder so don't trust me for anything. Now I need to get some tapout bits :(

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

ShaneB posted:

I just post a lot here. Plenty of people have made more rippin' bikes.

I also just broke a bolt off in my cylinder so don't trust me for anything. Now I need to get some tapout bits :(

Say shaneB I've got a question. When I got my derbi she had no exhaust pipe so I ordered a custom one online. Unfortunately when I mounted it to my engine I found that the only place to mount it by the can was on the swing arm. So now my exhaust flexs everytime my shocks take a dip, and this is causing all sorts of problems, the first being that it is destroying my gasket between the exhaust and the engine. I have an airleak now to deal with there. What should I do about this mounting issue? When Can I mount this pipe?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Woofington posted:

Say shaneB I've got a question. When I got my derbi she had no exhaust pipe so I ordered a custom one online. Unfortunately when I mounted it to my engine I found that the only place to mount it by the can was on the swing arm. So now my exhaust flexs everytime my shocks take a dip, and this is causing all sorts of problems, the first being that it is destroying my gasket between the exhaust and the engine. I have an airleak now to deal with there. What should I do about this mounting issue? When Can I mount this pipe?

Custom make a bracket. Just get a piece of metal with holes in it at some kind of length and make it work. Might require using spacers and poo poo... get creative. Without the bike in front of me I have no immediate advice. But making an exhaust mounting bracket is something everyone has to do at some point.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Woofington posted:

Jesus loving Christ

You didn't seriously mount an exhaust to a swing arm, did you? This is a joke, right?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

it still upsets me that you have a derbi variant and i dont let me tell you this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Woofington posted:

I.....uh......:ughh:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Me asking for help, now... Usual Hobbit PA50-2 setup:

DR
Proma
stock carb with 90 jet
boyesen reeds (these are for “stock” cylinder, as I got them before I kitted)
notched variator with pa-50 1 weights
stock air filter and air filter holder
NGK B7HS
Amsoil Dominator 50:1

So I can’t get my air/fuel mixture right, ever, and just when it’s not 4-stroking everywhere it runs hot as gently caress and overheats, and then soft seizes a little. I run a thermocouple temperature sensor between the plug and head, and I’ve seen 435F while not even doing much WOT, just cruising around back and forth, at which point things are not so happy for the engine.

I’ve tried every combination of pulling the air filter out a TINY bit, oiling the filter, squeezing some oil out of the filter, etc etc. If it’s at all rich, it four strokes. If it’s not four-stroking, it’s overheating. I’ve checked for air leaks with carb cleaner. It idles perfectly. It blasts like hell up to mid 50’s, but then I start running too hot…

Any ideas? I tried 25:1 last night and nothing changed.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn
^^^ What is WOT?

Phat_Albert posted:

I.....uh......:ughh:

The original exhaust was mounted to the swing arm though, how did this exhaust not get mangled?

edit: Also how many times do I have to tell people, I am brand 100% completely new to this. Not just mopeds but anything mechanical. I have made a lot of mistakes on this bike but have also learned so very very much. I am still in this process, but at least now I am slowly beginning to recognize my mistakes. I don't understand how the original exhaust mounted because the original mount point was on the swing arm itself.

All you moped people are seriously a bit :smug: sometimes. Jesus, like you all came out of the womb knowing everything.

Turns out my engine is also part of my swing arm assembly. Or that is to say my entire exhaust moves with the swingarm, as its designed to.

Woofington fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 14, 2010

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ShaneB posted:

So I can’t get my air/fuel mixture right, ever, and just when it’s not 4-stroking everywhere it runs hot as gently caress and overheats, and then soft seizes a little.
Have you tried a different air filter? Either a Malossi E12 or pantyhose or ...?

Woofington posted:

All you moped people are seriously a bit :smug: sometimes. Jesus, like you all came out of the womb knowing everything.
There's nothing smug about it if you just pay attention to what you're doing.
The swingarm moves whereas the exhaust is attached via a nonmovable joint. What did you think would happen?
No offense, but you gotta be a bit more diligent in thinking about how various parts interact.

WOT = wide open throttle

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY posted:

Have you tried a different air filter? Either a Malossi E12 or pantyhose or ...?

There's nothing smug about it if you just pay attention to what you're doing.
The swingarm moves whereas the exhaust is attached via a nonmovable joint. What did you think would happen?
No offense, but you gotta be a bit more diligent in thinking about how various parts interact.

WOT = wide open throttle

Oh wait nevermind actually. My engine is also mounted to my swingarm. All my parts (carb, engine) are mounted on a subframe which moves with the swing arm, then all of that is attached to my frame. Now I just have to figure out why my seal on my exhaust is leaking. Hmmmm

edit: Thanks by the way.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Woofington posted:

Oh wait nevermind actually. My engine is also mounted to my swingarm.

I don't know exactly what you're riding, but I loving bet that it's not.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

Blaster of Justice posted:

I don't know exactly what you're riding, but I loving bet that it's not.

1977 Derbi variant. It totally is. Basically my swing arm is hard connected to my mount for my engine components, which then sits in the frame so it can move freely with the swing arm.

Woofington fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 14, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Woofington posted:

1977 Derbi variant. It totally is. Basically my swing arm is hard connected to my mount for my engine components, which then sits in the frame so it can move freely with the swing arm.

The bolt your swing arm rotates about doubles as the rear engine mount. Your engine is rock solid in the frame while your swing arm moves. Jesus loving Christ.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

The bolt your swing arm rotates about doubles as the rear engine mount. Your engine is rock solid in the frame while your swing arm moves. Jesus loving Christ.

No sir, sorry I don't know where you heard this but my entire assembly swings.

This might make sense if my swingarm were mounted to my sub-frame by a bolt but its actually mounted via four bolts.

Woofington fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 14, 2010

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I think he's talking about a subframe type of deal, like on a Hobbit
Post pics of your bike so that we may either help or further ridicule you.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

I think he's talking about a subframe type of deal, like on a Hobbit

Yeah. I think anyhow. All I know is that my engine swings with my swingarm. Its weird and I wouldn't have expected it. But now I need to figure out why I'm leaking air.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just A Little Bit Closer...
All these 100 degree days are making it a bitch to tune my puch. With no air filter and everything lean as hell it is still 4 stroking until about midway through the throttle. I got a leaner needle on the way which should help out some. What is the least restrictive air filter for a phbg? I have a big foam one that came with a knockoff which isn't going to cut it.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

I think he's talking about a subframe type of deal,

That's not how a Derbi variant works.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

That's not how a Derbi variant works.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Woofington posted:

Yes, your engine is very much attached to the frame. It does not move with your swing arm.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn
Where does the swing arm pivot?

edit: Like I'm honestly asking cause I can't figure it out if it does.

Woofington fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 14, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Woofington posted:

Where does the swing arm pivot?

edit: Like I'm honestly asking cause I can't figure it out if it does.

Around the rear (main) engine mount bolt.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Can't you just stand on it and make it bounce to find out?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

hayden. posted:

Can't you just stand on it and make it bounce to find out?

Do you seriously think there's anything to investigate?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

ShaneB posted:

Me asking for help, now... Usual Hobbit PA50-2 setup:

DR
Proma
stock carb with 90 jet
boyesen reeds (these are for “stock” cylinder, as I got them before I kitted)
notched variator with pa-50 1 weights
stock air filter and air filter holder
NGK B7HS
Amsoil Dominator 50:1

So I can’t get my air/fuel mixture right, ever, and just when it’s not 4-stroking everywhere it runs hot as gently caress and overheats, and then soft seizes a little. I run a thermocouple temperature sensor between the plug and head, and I’ve seen 435F while not even doing much WOT, just cruising around back and forth, at which point things are not so happy for the engine.

I’ve tried every combination of pulling the air filter out a TINY bit, oiling the filter, squeezing some oil out of the filter, etc etc. If it’s at all rich, it four strokes. If it’s not four-stroking, it’s overheating. I’ve checked for air leaks with carb cleaner. It idles perfectly. It blasts like hell up to mid 50’s, but then I start running too hot…

Any ideas? I tried 25:1 last night and nothing changed.

Ok, let me try. In 2 stroke therms 4 stroking is anything that's not two stroking. 6 or 8 stroking is actually often seen.

The cause of this is that you're running goddamn loving rich. Way too rich. When you're trying to get it right and actually succeeds getting it to 2 stroke, it runs hot because it's still too drat rich.

On a small 2 stroke moped engine few things really matters regarding running rich: Main jet (is it way too big?), float level and float valve (is your carburetor puking fuel though the needle jet?), air filter (as you've noticed) and a partly blocked exhaust muffler.

My bet is, that you will find that your float level and/or float valve is to blame.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ok, let me try. In 2 stroke therms 4 stroking is anything that's not two stroking. 6 or 8 stroking is actually often seen.

The cause of this is that you're running goddamn loving rich. Way too rich. When you're trying to get it right and actually succeeds getting it to 2 stroke, it runs hot because it's still too drat rich.

On a small 2 stroke moped engine few things really matters regarding running rich: Main jet (is it way too big?), float level and float valve (is your carburetor puking fuel though the needle jet?), air filter (as you've noticed) and a partly blocked exhaust muffler.

My bet is, that you will find that your float level and/or float valve is to blame.

90 is the recommended jet for this setup by nearly everyone. If not, it's 88 or more frequently 92. I've scrubbed the carb, including the float valve inlet, but I'm going to be working on my buddy's new Hobbit today and I think we will have a carb cleaning ~~party~~ just for good measure.

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

What is the least restrictive air filter for a phbg?
Like I said a few posts up: pantyhose or this

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

ShaneB posted:

90 is the recommended jet for this setup by nearly everyone. If not, it's 88 or more frequently 92. I've scrubbed the carb, including the float valve inlet, but I'm going to be working on my buddy's new Hobbit today and I think we will have a carb cleaning ~~party~~ just for good measure.

You didn't really listen. Cleaning will do nothing about maladjusted floater closing height or closing failure. Just offer the $10 and replace your float valve needle and seat, check closing hight of your floaters and check your floaters for leaks.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 14, 2010

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Before replacing the needle and seat: get a cotton swab, remove some of the cotton so that it will fit into the float seat, then put some abrasive on the swab and polish everything nicely.
Rinse with carb cleaner.

Does your float actually float? Is it filled with gas?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Before replacing the needle and seat: get a cotton swab, remove some of the cotton so that it will fit into the float seat, then put some abrasive on the swab and polish everything nicely.
Rinse with carb cleaner.

You can't do that. At least shave the seat with the needle and abrasive just like you'd seat valves. That is, if you insist on using hours to save a $10 part.

What you suggest is the sure way to make things worse. Fat chance getting a closing cone with a cotton swab.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 15, 2010

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

Around the rear (main) engine mount bolt.

And I am telling you, there is no point on my bike where this is possible. The rear main engine mount isn't one bolt. It is four bolts.

do you have 77 variant or something?

and if what you are saying is true, how did the original stock exhaust mount, because it is designed to mount onto the swing arm.

Woofington fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 14, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Woofington posted:

Stuff

Fair enough, Sir. Please post a video of your engine jumping around while you engage the swing arm.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

Fair enough, Sir. Please post a video of your engine jumping around while you engage the swing arm.

I don't weigh enough and my shocks are so stiff that I can't even verify this for myself.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Woofington posted:

I don't weigh enough and my shocks are so stiff that I can't even verify this for myself.

There are 2 bolts holding your rear shocks to the frame. You can easily remove them and just pull the shocks backwards for the couple of seconds it'll take you to realize that... Well.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

There are 2 bolts holding your rear shocks to the frame. You can easily remove them and just pull the shocks backwards for the couple of seconds it'll take you to realize that... Well.

OK, I believe you. So then how did my old exhaust mount? Because I know it mounted onto the swing arm.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Woofington posted:

OK, I believe you. So then how did my old exhaust mount? Because I know it mounted onto the swing arm.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but from everything I can tell you don't have a swing arm. You have a subframe. The exhaust should mount to the subframe, because basically the entire engine and rear wheel are part of a single unit, which bolts onto the frame of the bike via the shocks and probably a single bolt. That's how it is on a Hobbit, at least. So yes, your exhaust mounts up to the subframe somewhere. It shouldn't be bending, then, if it's mounted securely to the cylinder and some place on the subframe.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Post a picture, now I'm just curious as to what is up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

Z3n posted:

Post a picture, now I'm just curious as to what is up with it.

I don't currently have a good working camera, the picture above is the best I have. I'll see what I can do.

• Locked thread