Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Mogwai tour early next year looks awesome. Manchester Academy 1, I think...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Steve Winwood posted:

TWDY are playing with Autolux this upcoming tour. I'd definitely recommend Autolux over TWDY any day of the week.

Oooh they are playing with Autolux at Southgate House, then later at Bogart's with Deftones. I'll be seeing them again at southgate house. Checking into Autolux too.

edit, I've only seen TWDY once, and apparently it was new stuff according to one of my friends who was following them for a while, but from what I saw that night, and what I see of Autolux on youtube, I think I'd take TWDY hands down. The stuff I saw was more godspeed-like, and I dig that a little more. Plus that film they projected was all kinds of hosed up.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 4, 2010

Machines
Jul 11, 2010
And So I Watch You From Afar are doing their first American/Canadian tour EVER!

25/9/10 BALTIMORE,MD The Ottobar -
26/9/10 PHILADELPHIA,PA 1st Unitarian Church -
28/9/10 ALLSTON,MA Harpers Ferry -
29/9/10 PROVIDENCE,RI Jerkys Live Music Hall -
30/9/10 NEW YORK,NY Santos Party House -
1/10/10 NEW HAVEN,CT Lilys Pad at Toads Place -
2/10/10 TORONTO,ON Sneaky Dees -
4/10/10 BUFFALO,NY Mohawk Place -
5/10/10 PITTSBURGH,PA Rex Theatre -
6/10/10 CLEVELAND,OH Grog Shop -
7/10/10 DETROIT,MI Magic Stick -
8/10/10 CHICAGO,IL Reggies Rock Club -
9/10/10 MINNEAPOLIS,MN Triple Rock -
10/10/10 LAWRENCE,KS Jackpot Music Hall -
12/10/10 DENVER,CO Bluebird Theatre -
13/10/10 OGDEN,UT The Basement -
15/10/10 SEATTLE,WA El Corazon -
16/10/10 PORTLAND,OR Hawthorne Theatre -
18/10/10 SAN FRANCISCO,CA Cafe Du Nord -
19/10/10 ANAHEIM,CA Chain Reaction -
20/10/10 WEST HOLLYWOOD,CA Troubadour -
22/10/10 SAN DIEGO,CA The Casbah -
23/10/10 MESA,AZ The Underground -
25/10/10 DENTON,TX Rubber Gloves -
26/10/10 AUSTIN,TX Emos Alternative Lounging (Indoor)

Nearly a gig every day! So proud of my fellow north coast country bumpkins :')

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
I know they've been discussed a lot in this thread, but for those who haven't read, if they play near you, GO. You will have an awesome time watching an awesome band.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Also, From Monument to Masses uploaded an unreleased b-side to their myspace, really makes me wish they didn't disband :(

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
I really dig the Six Parts Seven but have only heard 'Everywhere and Right Here' and 'Casually Smashed to Pieces.' They kinda do the same thing for both albums and it's nothing particularly "wow" worthy, but it's nice enough stuff - worth checking out their earlier releases?

Hoofbite
Sep 6, 2003

I can't believe ISIS broke up. I know it's old news, but I just found out about it. I really enjoyed their early EPs and Oceanic is one of my all-time favorite albums, but even their more recent stuff was really good too.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

New 65dos single, radio edits of Weak4 and Come To Me as a double A side, with a new song Memorydress as a bside (which isnt bad).

They really want to get some stuff played on the radio, which doesn't really happen for them often.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
New Swans and Constants albums. Thoughts?

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

thehustler posted:

New 65dos single, radio edits of Weak4 and Come To Me as a double A side, with a new song Memorydress as a bside (which isnt bad).

They really want to get some stuff played on the radio, which doesn't really happen for them often.

I was very surprised We Were Exploding Anyway didn't get picked up by the NME / Pitchfork crowd, it was poppy and catchy enough definitely.

ICA posted:

New Swans and Constants albums. Thoughts?

wtf, didn't know there was a new Constants album out! Seems they left The Mylene Sheath :( Gonna listen to that when I'm done fawning over the new The American Dollar live EP :swoon:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Apparently I could go see GYBE for as little as a tenner in Bristol in October. I think I'd be silly not to take that up but I'm a little unsure of how they'd be live, though.

Also, are there many dudes here into Grails? Do they even count as post-rock? Some of the stuff on Burning Off Impurities is groovy as gently caress.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Apparently I could go see GYBE for as little as a tenner in Bristol in October. I think I'd be silly not to take that up but I'm a little unsure of how they'd be live, though.

There are loads of recordings on archive.org, and even though they mostly only play individual movements instead of the entire songs, the good recordings sound the same or even better than the albums. It probably depends on acoustics more than anything else with a band like GYBE though.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Rhgr posted:

I was very surprised We Were Exploding Anyway didn't get picked up by the NME / Pitchfork crowd, it was poppy and catchy enough definitely.

You know, I really liked the new album when it first came out. But it really lost it's charm after a few repeat listenings. Tiger Girl/Come to Me/Piano Fight are still pretty good but I didn't like that everything elase on the album was heavy electronica instead of a mix of that and rock backed by glitch beats.

Did anyone else feel the same way? I thought Small Ideas was better and nothing quite has compared to Fall of Math/One time

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
The American Dollar's "Rudiments of A Spiritual Life" showed up in an episode of E's Kardashian spinoff "Khloe and Kourtney Take Miami" the other day.

I will not be answering any questions as to how I know this

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

snortpocket posted:

The American Dollar's "Rudiments of A Spiritual Life" showed up in an episode of E's Kardashian spinoff "Khloe and Kourtney Take Miami" the other day.

I will not be answering any questions as to how I know this

Every once in a while, I watch 16 And Pregnant and its spinoff shows on MTV. I've heard Caspian, This Will Destroy You and I think I even heard Mogwai once on there. It confuses the hell out of me every time I hear a post-rock track on a show like that.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Twelve Days Awake is the intro music to Thursday Night Baseball too, The American Dollar get around. But they're really nice guys who make awesome music, so whatever lets them make music fulltime instead of working some lovely 9-5 :shobon:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I think I'd be silly not to take that up but I'm a little unsure of how they'd be live, though.

Most of their reputation comes from their legendary live performance, apparently. I haven't gotten to see them before they went on hiatus, so I definitely plan on seeing them now to make up for it.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Had to sell a bunch of my favorite post-rock records to fund a new computer. Lost The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, F#A#infinity, Mono's Gone, and some others. Super bummed, BUT got The Appleseed Cast's "Two Conversations" yesterday. Not really post-rock, I guess, at least not as much as Sagarmatha.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You should have gotten Low Level Owl 1&2 instead, it's the best thing Appleseed Cast has released and a really great listen.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

It's also $25 and I didn't want to drop that much on an impulse record store trip.

Mare Vitalis is way better than Low Level Owl anyway.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I like all of them except for Ring Wars and some of Two Conversations. I heard they're possibly releasing something new at the end of the year or the beginning of '11 which would be awesome because they're one of my favorite bands.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Every once in a while, I watch 16 And Pregnant and its spinoff shows on MTV. I've heard Caspian, This Will Destroy You and I think I even heard Mogwai once on there. It confuses the hell out of me every time I hear a post-rock track on a show like that.

Haha I've literally only ever seen 5 minutes of 16 and Pregnant and I heard The Mighty Rio Grande by TWDY (pretty sure) and had a what the gently caress moment.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Friend of mine who's into the same sort of music (shitey post rock and shitey scottish shoegaze/post-rock crap) texted me to ask when Constants were playing because he overheard them on that 16 and Pregnant show.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Tim Curry Favor posted:

I really dig the Six Parts Seven but have only heard 'Everywhere and Right Here' and 'Casually Smashed to Pieces.' They kinda do the same thing for both albums and it's nothing particularly "wow" worthy, but it's nice enough stuff - worth checking out their earlier releases?

I'm a huge fan of theirs. I haven't listened to the earlier stuff too much but from what I have heard it seems like the same kind of thing, but different enough to be worth picking up. They don't change up their sound much but it doesn't matter because it's all so wonderfully relaxed and nice to listen to.

Bumble Bee
Dec 21, 2005

by Lowtax
It's too late now. But last night Mogwai announced a show this Sunday in Stereo, a very small venue by their standards, for a tenner in aid of some cancer charity.

Online tickets went in less than 15 minutes and the rest were being sold in Mono and they went in less than two hours.

I definitely made the right choice going to Mono to get my tickets!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Looks like Toe has recently released their 2nd dvd. I loved the first one, so I can't wait to receive this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0RWnzd_b_k

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
In keeping with MTV's strange affinity for post-rock, I caught some of "Made: The Movie" this morning (a scripted "comedy" based on the reality show of the same name), and in just the few minutes I was in the room heard both TWDY's Leather Wings and Moonlit Sailor's Night Stroll.

For a station that has blatantly hated music for the last 15 years or so, they certainly have some good taste

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line

RizieN posted:

Oooh they are playing with Autolux at Southgate House, then later at Bogart's with Deftones. I'll be seeing them again at southgate house. Checking into Autolux too.

edit, I've only seen TWDY once, and apparently it was new stuff according to one of my friends who was following them for a while, but from what I saw that night, and what I see of Autolux on youtube, I think I'd take TWDY hands down. The stuff I saw was more godspeed-like, and I dig that a little more. Plus that film they projected was all kinds of hosed up.

Just saw this tour last night at the Middle East, and yeah, Autolux definitely was better live then TWDY. I guess it was also annoying that people wouldn't shut up during TWDY's set, so during the quieter sections there was this drone of people shouting conversations out to each other. Also Autolux literally had a 40 minute sound check before they started, which was just absurd. I guess they got stuck in traffic coming from New York that morning and didn't have time to check anything pre-show, but still a long as hell time to hear "check, one, two". Other than that, it was a drat good show.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Harminoff posted:

Looks like Toe has recently released their 2nd dvd. I loved the first one, so I can't wait to receive this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0RWnzd_b_k

I got it but it isn't as good as RGBDVD :ohdear:. Its some what cool to be able to see all the action at once but the screen splitting gets annoying. That and it's definitely not as tight as RGBDVD. The tightest songs on the new CUTdvd are the interludes.

Also, anyone been down with the new Adebisi Shank album? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfqYaxc_dT8

it's absolute insanity.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Saw This Will Destroy You last night in Brooklyn opening for Autolux and holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuck they were good.

Didnt think it was possible but they surpassed Mogwai on sheer loudness scale.

Its the editors. A lot of editors like post-rock because its cinematic and good to edit to, so they use it in a lot of stuff. Plus its not "big" so its cheap to get the licensing.

I think my favorite use of post-rock in a movie that made me :psyduck: was when Rachels showed up in Hancock. It was directed by Peter Berg though, who is the first director to fully understand the potential of post-rock as film scores(Friday Night Lights)

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 29, 2010

Bumble Bee
Dec 21, 2005

by Lowtax
Mogwai's new tunes sound like they're going to alienate the we-love-EITS-rip-offs crowd quite a bit. They seem to be moving towards The Sun Smells Too Loud style songs and one of them sounds like some insane children's tv show theme.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops
Did anyone see Red Sparowes on their tour with Boris?

They were great but the experience was degraded by the lovely venue. The Republik in Calgary is terrible, they need to realize people like to listen to music, and not the sound of their building's foundation rattling. Boris is a loud band, but I've seen louder bands in smaller venues pull off decent sound quality.

I can't imagine what Mono would sound like in that building, eek.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Consultant posted:

Did anyone see Red Sparowes on their tour with Boris?

They were great but the experience was degraded by the lovely venue. The Republik in Calgary is terrible, they need to realize people like to listen to music, and not the sound of their building's foundation rattling. Boris is a loud band, but I've seen louder bands in smaller venues pull off decent sound quality.

I can't imagine what Mono would sound like in that building, eek.

I was gonna go, but forgot the date until the day of and couldn't make it. Turns out Russian Circles ended up not playing. I think they had car trouble or something like that. At least that's what one of my friends who went told me.

I enjoy listening to Boris' albums from time to time, but I think if I listened to them live, I'd want to kill myself. Maybe the actual experience of seeing them isn't how I think it is, but I just have this mental image of them being excrutiatingly loud and droney.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
So apparently Her Name is Calla are finally putting out their second album.

It's been "on the way" for so long I assumed it had gone the way of the new Yndi Halda, but drat I'm excited for this. They pretty much fill the hole left by ASMZ becoming a lot more of a rock band.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Anyone else pick up the latest Lights Out Asia release "In the Days of Jupiter"? I've pretty much had it on repeat nonstop these past few days. The space theme is a nice change from the Cold War stuff in Eyes Like Brontide.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I enjoy listening to Boris' albums from time to time, but I think if I listened to them live, I'd want to kill myself. Maybe the actual experience of seeing them isn't how I think it is, but I just have this mental image of them being excrutiatingly loud and droney.

Boris doesn't really play any droney stuff live anymore, and they have great rock 'n roll showmanship. Banging gongs, stage dives and an awesome smoke and light show.

I thought Red Sparowes sounded great, although you could tell most of the audience thought they were little more than elevator music. They had a projector playing generic black and white road footage during the whole show and didn't say a word.

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

Anyone else here listen to Sumner Mckane? Really really great acoustic/americana post rock. I'm looking for similar bands. Any suggestions?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

One track in to the new Oceansize album and it's already wonderful. Very Doomy, in fact! Maybe I should have posted this in the sludge thread? :)

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Their album is out there? Grand.

Just saying, Special Moves / Burning is loving amazing. Obviously doesn't quite capture the live experience of a Mogwai gig but 'tis very close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

appledan posted:

Also, anyone been down with the new Adebisi Shank album? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfqYaxc_dT8

it's absolute insanity.
Adebisi Shank has been on my 'to listen to' list for ages and this made me go out and buy the album. I love it, it's kind of like if Queen ever did math rock.