Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

Double XP weekend!

I'd be happy if this doesn't mean I would have to play it four more times to unlock absolutely everything. Dammit, why can't getting a Zonkey be easy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Will double XP work in Private servers so I don't have to deal with pubbies while I'm grinding out Pike's Basin a few dozen times?

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Just finished my second run though of the game. Lit Ross's wife on fire with the lamp hanging above her, slashed then stabbed his brother with a throwing knife, then shot him dead with a full clip from the 1911 he gave to John. I can't believe I've been playing this since June and blowing holes in dudes is still entertaining as all hell.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

A clip? How big is the clip? I always thought it was just an arbitrarily large number.

The pistol can shoot 8 bullets before you have to reload, so a clip for that pistol is 8 bullets. A mauser clip is 15.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
I think I'll skip this DLC. I don't really play gang shoot outs anyway and for 800 points I'd want more than characters from a game I didn't play and a single weapon.
What's folks opinions on the DLC?

I WOULD however, have paid 800 for the co-op pack because it kicks rear end.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Mister Bung posted:

I think I'll skip this DLC. I don't really play gang shoot outs anyway and for 800 points I'd want more than characters from a game I didn't play and a single weapon.

I WOULD however, have paid 800 for the co-op pack because it kicks rear end.

I've not done any of the multiplayer stuff, but I can say the tomahawk is the single most satisfying weapon in the game, and it's how I'm taking out certain endgame related characters next time I play through.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Question about multiplayer and the minimap? I have heard some sources say that only crouching doesn't make you appear on the minimap. But then other sources say it's just sprinting and shooting that make you show up?

Does just jogging normally not pressing sprint keep you off the map?

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

Question about multiplayer and the minimap? I have heard some sources say that only crouching doesn't make you appear on the minimap. But then other sources say it's just sprinting and shooting that make you show up?

Does just jogging normally not pressing sprint keep you off the map?

You've got it right. As long as you're not shooting or sprinting you don't appear on radar, there's no need to be crouching unless you're taking cover or something.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

A Quiet American posted:

You've got it right. As long as you're not shooting or sprinting you don't appear on radar, there's no need to be crouching unless you're taking cover or something.

Ok because Xbox live had some little promo video for the DC and kept telling you to be the crouching cowboy to stay of minimaps and I was pretty sure that wasn't the case.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

In hardcore Free Roam, until recently you always showed up on the MAIN map (Start>Map) unless you were crouched, we used this to track guys we were griefing. It seems to be fixed now, though.

Ace of Knaves
May 8, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Will double XP work in Private servers so I don't have to deal with pubbies while I'm grinding out Pike's Basin a few dozen times?

Yup. Been doing that for a while this morning.

Also, anybody who's up for multiplayer this weekend, send me a message/friend request. PSN: Knaves_77

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Mister Bung posted:

Unless you're into competitive stuff, the DLC pack isn't worth your time. The tomahawk is really satisfying (Like really, really satisfying) when you nail someone square in the back or right in the face, but that alone isn't worth the price of admission for most. The pack is really about new multiplayer maps and fan service for Revolver fans. So if that does nothing for you, you won't be missing out.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Unless you're into competitive stuff, the DLC pack isn't worth your time. The tomahawk is really satisfying (Like really, really satisfying) when you nail someone square in the back or right in the face, but that alone isn't worth the price of admission for most. The pack is really about new multiplayer maps and fan service for Revolver fans. So if that does nothing for you, you won't be missing out.

Plus a few more achievements to goad people into going into Legendary status. I found that incredibly cheap since you have to do it five times in order to get everything. I wouldn't mind some of the mounts being attached to some of the other game modes to push more people into playing Shoot Outs and the like, but so it goes.

Still, the DLC isn't really worth buying. The skins are nice and the tomahawk is awesome, but still...it's missing something to make it worth $10. They should have just kept everything in until the MP Dice and Poker games.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Yah, this DLC seems like a huge ripoff. Sweet, they added areas that are already designed to the shootout modes, added a throwing axe and a few models that no one can see. That's barely worth $5.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I absolutely love the DLC, but I am willing to shell out stupid amounts of money for anything RDR because I'm obsessed so whatever.

The new maps are fun as hell, and so is the tomahawk.

My only issue is the DLC maps are a seperate category, which means you either play the vanilla maps in rotation OR the DLC maps in rotation. I wish when you Had DLC, it gave you a mixture. That way you can rotate all of them, and it wouldn't divide the player base as much when they could intermingle when it selects a vanilla map. Not sure how it would work since it keeps a static set of players through the rotation but whatever.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:

Sco Dylan posted:

My only issue is the DLC maps are a seperate category, which means you either play the vanilla maps in rotation OR the DLC maps in rotation. I wish when you Had DLC, it gave you a mixture. That way you can rotate all of them, and it wouldn't divide the player base as much when they could intermingle when it selects a vanilla map. Not sure how it would work since it keeps a static set of players through the rotation but whatever.

For real? I thought the "Legends and Killers" options for multiplayer were so you can JUST play the new maps, but if I picked another other multiplayer mode the new maps would just show up in the playlist.

If that's not the case, that sucks.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Has the latest PS3 patch introduced graphics problems for the regular single player game? I'm finding all kinds of weird problems I didn't have before the patch - opening a chest in your save room doesn't produce the normal animation and just locks John into place for a while, going to the Daedelus and Son stranger has him fiddling with empty air until the glider suddenly appears out of nowhere, riding around has textures popping into existence suddenly when you're right on top of them etc.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am starting to seriously loving hate this game.

I've been doing the same mission, My Sister's Keeper, for the past four days, due to the game crashing, problems with saves, and... I don't even know what.

Man, gently caress you, Luisa. And gently caress your stupid sister.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
For those interested in milking an XP glitch there's one at Tesoro Azul that increases the number of whores you can save. The guy I was doing this with said it only worked with two players, now I'm not sure if that's true, or if it's just too much trouble to get more people to do this.

Anyway, you do the hideout, replay, then you both back up and one rides down the road until they're out of the hideout area and the red dots disappear on the radar, generally past the last cactus on the left or so, then they ride back, the other person does it, and when they return there should be either double the whores or like 3 more, and then you just try not to kill them. This stacks for every round, so eventually we were saving like 23 whores, there were more, but at that point it's drat near impossible not to kill a few. This nets you about 5700 xp (with the double xp thing going on) in about 2~3 minutes.

SoyPancho
Oct 4, 2004
TOO FUCKING LAZY TO CHOOSE MY OWN CUSTOM TITLE

Ace of Knaves posted:

Also, anybody who's up for multiplayer this weekend, send me a message/friend request. PSN: Knaves_77

I'm putting together a group for tonight at 9 PST. Anyone is welcome until we hit 8 ppl. PSN: Chaostheater

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

This loving game.

There I was in Hardcore Freeroam. There weren't very many people online, and I decided to go to El Presidente (That place in Mexico with the cannons) to get a bounty going.

And, of course, after a good few minutes of this, I catch a glimpse of someone else coming along. That's the norm with pubbies, they see someone doing something and they just want to come and gently caress stuff up.

So, having not hit Public Enemy yet, I can still kinda be invisible on the map. I wait for him to come through the back doors and thanks to my semi shotgun, BLAM BLAM BLAM he's dead. Hopefully that sends the message.

I end up on top of the tower, where the machine gun thing is. I'm lining up shots for the local authorities and PLINK, I'm sniped in the loving face by Mr. Pub. This shits on now.

This turns into a game of Metal Gear Solid, both of us sneaking around and killing the poo poo out of each other. I get tired of this and go hid by a rock, and assume he'll either get up on the cannon so I can shoot him or he'll leave.

And I wait. I don't see his icon on the mini map. Keep waiting. Check to see where he is through the d pad, he's still where I am. I end up getting on my laptop to check some poo poo, occasionally looking back at the screen to see if he's moved. His status still says it's the same place, and neither of us have moved.

Twenty five minutes. Twenty five loving minutes goes on and we are literally waiting for one of us to make a move. Finally I just send him a message, say sorry for being a dick (EVEN THOUGH HE STARTED IT) and get off the PS3.

I honestly couldn't believe I found someone playing a video game on the Internet with some patience. Jesus.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Green Puddin posted:

I honestly couldn't believe I found someone playing a video game on the Internet with some patience. Jesus.

Oh absolutely. I love to dynamite kill people who are using the Escalera glitch to build up a bounty. Yesterday I did it, then rode off to join a group loving around in Blackwater. I get almost there, just past Thieves Landing, stop to get ammo and deadeye...and 10 seconds later, he rides up, kills me, and begins the long ride back to Escalera.

This game really tickles the revenge gland.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
I was $1300 off getting the $5k bounty today by holding up in the nunnery in Mexico when some dude, who up until then I'd been able to hold off, tomahawked me and destroyed my dreams.

So I proceeded to destroy him and the rest of his posse for the next 20 minutes until he quit. This game does strange things.

Also thanks to the double XP weeked I've gone from lvl6 to 30 in a few hours. It'd be great if they set it up so it happens one weekend a month or something because there's no way I'm ever going to see 50 otherwise.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

At first I really hated how on xbox live people can blab over their headsets...but now, I love it. Freeroam becomes a great way to hunt and grief high pitch middle school kids. And you can HEAR them get angry. Its sweet, sweet music.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I got the semiauto pistol this morning and spent the next 20 minutes griefing a posse of newbies. I've never griefed anyone before, but holding all five of them off and hearing them complain was strangely satisfying.

You get double XP for completing challenges too, so then I went and did what any cowboy would do: collect a bunch of stupid herbs. :clint:

I really can't wait for the next pieces of DLC, the multiplayer is probably the best and has the most things to do of any game I've played yet.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Normally I don't grief (since they fixed the deadeye throwing knives) but if anyone rides up to a hideout that I'm farming and selects continue instead of replay they become my bitch until they leave the session. It's happened three times now where I'll be doing this and they'll come up and only have time for the vote, don't kill anyone, nothing else, just vote to continue. gently caress them. Even though all I have to do is leave and come back to the area it's still inconsiderate of them, especially if they see I've already selected replay.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finally got this game, absolutely love it. Haven't tried multiplayer yet... having too much fun with the single player game.

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:

Scarf posted:

Finally got this game, absolutely love it. Haven't tried multiplayer yet... having too much fun with the single player game.

gently caress your avatar, cougars are dicks. :mad:

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I'm really not sure how free roam works as i'm being a bit of a mong at the moment.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Was playing last night and a pubbie decided that he absolutely, positively, had to kill me.

He started firing with his Cattleman, so I blew him away with the High Power. I rode away, he followed firing, so I shot him with the BAR. He kept coming towards me, firing his pistol from a mile way, so I headshot him with the Rolling Block.

He followed me all the way from Nosalida to Twin Rocks, then back down to Gaptooth, then back to Nosalida. He never killed me once, and I typically killed him with a sniper rifle the second his Name/Title thing popped in above him.

I don't understand some people :psyduck: How was that enjoyable for him?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Slantedfloors posted:

I rode away, he followed firing, so I shot him with the BAR.

You mean "bolt action rifle," don't you?

For a moment I thought they'd added the BAR to the game and goddamn I was ready to raise some hell.

Click here for the full 800x260 image.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Dick Trauma posted:

You mean "bolt action rifle," don't you?

Unfortunately, yeah.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Were you in Hardcore mode? That makes it a ton more fun. It seems like those cannons in Mexico are just like bees to a bee hive because giant jerks come by and mess with your bounty, which results in a long game of cat and mouse of you both sneaking around and killing each other.

Vengeance
Jan 1, 2005

I'm A Good Catholic
I missed double xp weekend :(

That's what I get for going outside and hanging out with real people, dammit.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hogarth Hughes posted:

gently caress your avatar, cougars are dicks. :mad:

They're just misunderstood...

P455W012D
Mar 20, 2007

"Smells like a Squatch"

Scarf posted:

Killing over 2 dozen of my horses is far from misunderstood.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Scarf posted:

They home in on me whenever I am near and destroy both my horse and I in a whirlwind of teeth and claws. No, I believe I understand them very well.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Nash posted:

They home in on me whenever I am near and destroy both my horse and I in a whirlwind of teeth and claws. No, I believe I understand them very well.

Cougars love stout young men...

(possibly):nws:https://www.cougarlife.com

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
I've been loving this game and only just thought to check through the games forums to see if there was a thread for it, but I had a question, basically I was on a Red Dead wiki last night and noticed that it said that Luisa Fortuna died, I have no recollection of that happening at all and just wondered how it happened and at which point. Did I miss a bit of dialogue somewhere, or was it in the opening cut scene to the final assault in Mexico (my 360 decided to bug out during that video).

I have just opened up Blackwater and worrying that I am getting close to the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

TheGoatFeeder posted:

I've been loving this game and only just thought to check through the games forums to see if there was a thread for it, but I had a question, basically I was on a Red Dead wiki last night and noticed that it said that Luisa Fortuna died, I have no recollection of that happening at all and just wondered how it happened and at which point. Did I miss a bit of dialogue somewhere, or was it in the opening cut scene to the final assault in Mexico (my 360 decided to bug out during that video).

Exactly that. Go forth and youtube!

• Locked thread