Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper

pseudonordic posted:

Just for you :)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE Thank you!

edit: bunsnype

Did That on Television fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Your bun looks like a young version of my bun.
Which reminds me, my sister noticed that my bun's eyes seemed a bit cloudy and asked if its possible he had cataracts. I never really noticed before since it was probably gradual and I don't have a 'baseline' of what his vision is supposed to be.
She also noted deep inside his ears looked dirty, I guess they do but again what is it supposed to look like?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
so Paterson was sneezing and rubbing his face earlier. I called the vet and booked an apt because I was worried about the snuffles. WELL. They did a nasal scope and he had this hardened puss in there. It looked like a latex finger cot :(

they did a swab and now he's on medicine. It looked so gross. The vet wasn't sure what it was at first and said "is that a tooth?!" my stomach totally turned and my head was spinning at the prospect of tooth in nose and how much that could possibly cost oh god.

so yeah. Antibiotics, sub dermal meds and echinacha drops in their water.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Poor guy, hope he feels better!

luscious posted:

echinacha drops in their water.

Be very, very careful of this. *Any* water additives can change the flavor to the point where the rabbits will drink less water, which can lead to gut and kidney problems. I'd strongly recommend either syringing it into their mouths like an oral med or putting it in a treat like a teaspoon of applesauce or carrot baby food. At the very least, put it in a SECOND water source so they have plain water available as well. Check with your vet on how much you should be diluting it for alternative applications.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

alucinor posted:

Poor guy, hope he feels better!

Be very, very careful of this. *Any* water additives can change the flavor to the point where the rabbits will drink less water, which can lead to gut and kidney problems. I'd strongly recommend either syringing it into their mouths like an oral med or putting it in a treat like a teaspoon of applesauce or carrot baby food. At the very least, put it in a SECOND water source so they have plain water available as well. Check with your vet on how much you should be diluting it for alternative applications.

the vet actually recommended it. Five days on, five off. 0.25ccs to every 1/2 cup of water. I'll put another container of water down because that does make total sense. They are kind of little babies (they want their food in a certain bowl etc.etc.)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

so Paterson was sneezing and rubbing his face earlier.

Hope he gets better quickly!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

Hope he gets better quickly!

I'm giving him baby oval and critical care. I'm not taking any chances with him right now. He was scratching the floor which he does when he's uncomfortable. If he's still doing it tomorrow I might call them and see if there's anything I can do for his discomfort.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Anybody who could use more bunny pics? This is what I see when I look to my left when watching TV.

And this is what happens next:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Paterson is feeling much better. It was hot so we had turned on the a/c and closed the door. He was scratching around and I was worried that he wasn't feeling well but he just wanted to explore! So now he's out and about and doing his thang. He also seems to be feeling much better in general (interacting with my boyfriend).

we had the following exchange yesterday:

him: well after I gave him the medicine he let me pet him so he's fine.
me: wait, he let you pet him after the medicine? WHAT?
him: yeah he always let's me pet him. But he didn't care about the medicine.
me: why does he let you pet him???
him: because we're both men and we're bonded?

Paterson is gay.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

Paterson is feeling much better. It was hot so we had turned on the a/c and closed the door. He was scratching around and I was worried that he wasn't feeling well but he just wanted to explore! So now he's out and about and doing his thang. He also seems to be feeling much better in general (interacting with my boyfriend).

we had the following exchange yesterday:

him: well after I gave him the medicine he let me pet him so he's fine.
me: wait, he let you pet him after the medicine? WHAT?
him: yeah he always let's me pet him. But he didn't care about the medicine.
me: why does he let you pet him???
him: because we're both men and we're bonded?

Paterson is gay.

Cilantro lets both of us pet her but she only snuggles up to my wife and she only lets me pet her chin and dewlap. Picky picky pets!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro lets both of us pet her but she only snuggles up to my wife and she only lets me pet her chin and dewlap. Picky picky pets!

well Paterson didn't even open up to ANYONE until my boyfriend came along. There was never that much petting or rubbing against me or whatever. When I told that to my dad he mentioned that Paterson would let him pet him sometimes but he thought that was normal so he didn't say anything.

anyway. He's back to shredding, licking and chewing so he can't be that sick. Only 10 more days on the medication which my boyfriend likes giving him (so he can shake his paws and kiss him on the head :rolleyes: )

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

DS at Night posted:

Anybody who could use more bunny pics? This is what I see when I look to my left when watching TV.

Look at that little fucker. He knows he's the cutest thing in the house and he's just flaunting it.

This is my lock screen. Sometimes I wake my phone up just to stare at bunny kisses:

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
I am so, so, so, so, SO excited. I just got the go-ahead from my parents (I was going to wait until I can move out, but I have no idea when I'll really be able to afford to do that) to get a pet rabbit! I think rabbits are some of the sweetest and cutest little things ever (and the pictures in this thread are doing absolutely nothing to prove otherwise) and though this will be my first bunny I've been reading up as much as I can over the past few weeks to prepare myself. I'm still working it out with the shelter if all goes well I might even have a new friend here at home with me as early as this Sunday night!

Anyone happen to have any experience with rabbit rescue/shelters on Long Island (New York)? I've been talking to the people at Long Island Rabbit Rescue in Great Neck. Anyone have anything to say about them, or any other shelter on Long Island?

I'm so excited I'm having trouble sleeping, even now at...4AM, oy. Can't wait to finally have something to contribute to a PI thread in the form of adorable bunny pictures!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

The only thing I can tell you is let go of any attachment to your furniture. Take the time between now and sunday to say your goodbyes. Your furniture was just too beautiful for this world.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
I highly recommend not getting a rabbit. If you can't afford your own place, you probably also can't afford the amount of damage and veterinary care it will likely accrue. Also, your parents will hate you.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Melicious posted:

I highly recommend not getting a rabbit. If you can't afford your own place, you probably also can't afford the amount of damage and veterinary care it will likely accrue. Also, your parents will hate you.

Not being able to afford NYC rent, groceries, electricity/cable/phone/internet bills, clothes, etc != not being able to afford ~$50 a month in food/litter/supplies, yearly checkups and a few iPod cables. I'll be okay.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

blinkeve1826 posted:

Not being able to afford NYC rent, groceries, electricity/cable/phone/internet bills, clothes, etc != not being able to afford ~$50 a month in food/litter/supplies, yearly checkups and a few iPod cables. I'll be okay.

Right now you're fine. But when you are finally able to move out, if you don't have a savings just for the bunny, those e-vet trips for $500 are really going to hurt your budget. And then the times where you drop $200+ for x-rays and care when he/she decides to ingest something that really isn't supposed to ever be eaten. Those are the things you need to worry about being prepared for money-wise.

If you can handle the costs and time commitment, then I look forward to photos :)

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

blinkeve1826 posted:

Anyone happen to have any experience with rabbit rescue/shelters on Long Island (New York)? I've been talking to the people at Long Island Rabbit Rescue in Great Neck. Anyone have anything to say about them, or any other shelter on Long Island?

LIRR is legit, they have people that know their stuff, can hook you up with a vet and all that. My current pet rabbit was actually trapped by them when my neighbors reported it abandoned in the park when they saw it in the same spot a few days in a row. They adopted it then just gave him to us, so I dunno how that went but I'd much rather try to adopt an adult bunny that's evened out than try to get lucky with a pet store anti-social crack rabbit.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
So, after many months of debate, I have decided to try fostering rescue buns for Rabbit Advocates, our local chapter of the House Rabbit Society.

I miss my June terribly and don't really want to have another rabbit until I am done traveling so this seems like the perfect compromise and a good way to help a local rescue.

Photos when I get my first foster bun!

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

DS at Night posted:

And this is what happens next:

What gives with this kind of colouring? I have a bunny with it, except her base colour is chinchilla - then there's a line kind of like a watercolour 'wash', as in the above pictures, and the shade changes. Is it just one of those things or is it an actual pattern?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Pardalis posted:

So, after many months of debate, I have decided to try fostering rescue buns for Rabbit Advocates, our local chapter of the House Rabbit Society.

This is a wonderful idea. My wife and I have a dream of fostering rescue buns when we're retired and old.

Hungry Joes Smile
Sep 5, 2007

what's going on? I'll cut you.
Wuddles (aka Audrey) has lost some fur from above her eye.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

I think it's simply from her and Greta doing the style of "rough-house grooming" I see them do. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, and doesn't appear sore to the touch. She doesn't even seem to mind that she looks a little funny. Binks all over the place as per normal. Is she as ok as she seems? This isn't symptom one of some horrid disease, right?

Bonus pic: Greta loves tearing the poo poo outta books, so we got her one for that purpose.

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

notsoape posted:

What gives with this kind of colouring? I have a bunny with it, except her base colour is chinchilla - then there's a line kind of like a watercolour 'wash', as in the above pictures, and the shade changes. Is it just one of those things or is it an actual pattern?

I think it's called "agouti" where there's several different colours per individual hair with it being darker at the tips. So basically she's a pretty even colour most of the time except for when she's shedding, when of course there are different hair lengths involved.

It makes for some entertaining patterns sometimes. There's the "saddle", the "polka dot", the "layered style" and of course sometimes she gets what look like giant dark eyebrows or a mustache.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

DS at Night posted:

I think it's called "agouti" where there's several different colours per individual hair with it being darker at the tips. So basically she's a pretty even colour most of the time except for when she's shedding, when of course there are different hair lengths involved.

It makes for some entertaining patterns sometimes. There's the "saddle", the "polka dot", the "layered style" and of course sometimes she gets what look like giant dark eyebrows or a mustache.

Ah - I was wondering if it was to do with shedding, but hadn't put two and two together re; different hair lengths and banding. The interesting thing is, my bunny has had a two-tone pattern for her whole adult life - it hasn't varied with the seasons. Hmm. Maybe I should get a picture!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Windy posted:

Right now you're fine. But when you are finally able to move out, if you don't have a savings just for the bunny, those e-vet trips for $500 are really going to hurt your budget. And then the times where you drop $200+ for x-rays and care when he/she decides to ingest something that really isn't supposed to ever be eaten. Those are the things you need to worry about being prepared for money-wise.

If you can handle the costs and time commitment, then I look forward to photos :)

this.

in the last year Paterson has cost me:
- 1900$ for an emergency when he ate carpet, was deep into GI stasis (this happened literally overnight) and had to stay for 2 days in their hospital. That included the five medications that I had to give him for two weeks.
- 600$ when he went into GI stasis again soon after that.
- 400$ when he got the snuffles after coming back from his GI stasis.
- 550$ for pasturella a few days ago.

the first time that Paterson got really sick my mom took him in and agreed to everything that they recommended. She paid 1000$ which was one million times amazing.

regardless of your situation, Paterson's vet bills so far in the last year have been $3550. That's a lot of money. And that's not including the ~60$ of necessities that the bunnies need (yesterday's news, hay, pellets). Or the cords that they chew. Or the baseboards. Or the paint.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

luscious posted:

regardless of your situation, Paterson's vet bills so far in the last year have been $3550. That's a lot of money. And that's not including the ~60$ of necessities that the bunnies need (yesterday's news, hay, pellets). Or the cords that they chew. Or the baseboards. Or the paint.

Or the plastic dancing Jar Jar that I didn't really like anyway but kept because it was a gift from my brother:

Notice the distinct lack of ears and arms. I still never figured out which rabbit ate the drat thing, but I know that the $20 gift eventually had cost me over $600 in bunny care due to my own negligence. Unfortunately their taste for destruction is not just limited to phone or power cables...that will be a fast lesson learned soon enough.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bean posted:

This is my lock screen. Sometimes I wake my phone up just to stare at bunny kisses:

Does your one bunny also have an obsession with cleaning the others eyes?

Mine does!

I didn't have a pic of the eye cleaning in progress but i hope this works.
unfortunately his kindness goes unreturned a majority of the time.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

SpaceMonkey posted:

Mine does!

I didn't have a pic of the eye cleaning in progress but i hope this works.
unfortunately his kindness goes unreturned a majority of the time.

Bitsy has an obsession with ears and eyes. When Paterson had a staph infection (included with snuffles) I knew because she wasn't grooming his ears anymore. When she kisses me she goes straight for the eyes which would be okay but her tongue is so warm it feels so weird!!

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
I'm most likely going to do the Target-wire-cube-pen thing for my bunny, but after reading a bit of the thread (going all the way through, I think I'm on page 11 or so right now) I became concerned about the paint used on those things. If I get a bunny that likes to chew, couldn't that be harmful? For those of you who built Target cube pens, what has your experience with this been? If you've used white vinegar or something to get them used to not nibbling at it, how long has it taken them? Won't they just do it again while you're out/at work? Are there any safer alternatives? Am I worrying about it a bit too much?

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I have been using the cubes for a long time and haven't noticed and paint chips missing. Debbie doesn't chew on the bars too often now(that I know of), but she did for the first week straight of being in the new pen. I only have one grid out of 30 or so that is missing a little paint, but it may be one of the grids that I've had since college....which is about 12 years ago by now.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Besides that, I don't even want to think about how much paint Bowser ingested through years of gnawing on wall corners, baseboards, and bathroom cabinets. She was fine.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Melicious posted:

Besides that, I don't even want to think about how much paint Bowser ingested through years of gnawing on wall corners, baseboards, and bathroom cabinets. She was fine.

I'm fairly positive that rabbits are just tinier, cuter, quieter goats.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

SpaceMonkey posted:

Mine does!

Mine too! Camille's a big eye licker. Pepper just likes turning Camille's ears inside out so that she can stick her big nose in them to groom them.

Windy posted:

I'm fairly positive that rabbits are just tinier, cuter, quieter goats.

I've had to slowly learn that I cannot have a heart attack every time my bunnies eat something stupid, otherwise I'd be in the ER once a week. Camille has an obsession with eating bugs. Of all things.

I come in this thread bearing a question: whenever I have to do something unpleasant to Pepper, like brushing her or trimming her nails (or even sometimes just carrying her from place to place), she starts licking me. I'm sure she doesn't love her nails being trimmed, so is she sucking up to me or is it a comfort thing?

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Melicious posted:

My first apartment with Godewyn he ran free and loved to chew the bottom edge off my kitchen cabinets. They were all missing, that's quite a lot of paint. I'd block them off but he was too smart and always figured out a way to get them. He was fine.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bean posted:

I come in this thread bearing a question: whenever I have to do something unpleasant to Pepper, like brushing her or trimming her nails (or even sometimes just carrying her from place to place), she starts licking me. I'm sure she doesn't love her nails being trimmed, so is she sucking up to me or is it a comfort thing?

when we were at the vet and Paterson had just gotten a thermometer in his rear end we were weighing him and he started licking me. He also does it to my boyfriend when he gives him the medicine. I think that it's sucking up (like we're dominating them so they're grooming us kind of thing). He has never licked me in a low stress situation.

ooooo! Someone from work has to do animal reiki to become 'licensed' or whatever. So she's going to come and do some on Paterson. I was like, girl I'm all over that! My bunny is suuuuuuuicidal! Or at least he's ALWAYS sick.

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!
My girlfriend and I have a dwarf Netherland who loves to make a mess. Minutes after we've cleaned his cage, he'll have sprayed food hither and yon, and upturned his litterbox. He's about 8 months old (neutered) and we had pretty much hoped that he'd grow out of it, but he hasn't shown any signs of that.

It's mostly a pain in the rear end because he's so well-litter-trained (or possibly precisely-litter-trained) that he'll only evacuate himself if the litter box is in a very specific location (which it is, until he upturns the loving thing).

Also it annoys my latent Alpha Male tendencies that he'll up-end everything after we've worked to clean it. A rabbit is not a dog fyi.

Any thoughts on how I can get him to enjoy living in a clean cage? Do I just have to accept that he's a prey animal with different synapses, or can I somehow bend him to my unyielding iron will?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think you're pretty much screwed, but...how big is the cage? Is it big enough for him?

I think 8 months is still 'young rear end in a top hat age' for rabbits, so he might grow out of it.

edit: my question about the cage is because I know my rabbit basically destroys anything that gets in his face, so if your guy is kind of confined, he may just have the litterbox, food bowls, etc, always in his way and gets the urge to toss them around. More space might make him more relaxed

Levitate fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 20, 2010

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!
Yeah, I don't think the cage is big enough for him. It's not small, to be sure, but we may have to employ some engineering to make it bigger.

This rabbit is a tremendous rear end in a top hat. My girlfriend's had rabbits all her life, and has never come across such a spiteful jerk. That may be part of it, too. :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
And honestly, rabbits make messes. Even if mine isn't busy tearing poo poo up, he's shedding all over the place and pulling hay out of his box and spreading it all around

If it's just confined to his cage, let him live in his own mess :) (assuming the mess isn't bunny poop and urine everywhere and is just bedding and hay and litter pellets or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

SlippyHat posted:

Yeah, I don't think the cage is big enough for him. It's not small, to be sure, but we may have to employ some engineering to make it bigger.

This rabbit is a tremendous rear end in a top hat. My girlfriend's had rabbits all her life, and has never come across such a spiteful jerk. That may be part of it, too. :(

My bun SAMe used to upturn her litter box and food dish all the time, so I got a heavy ceramic food bowl that she can't lift and these things that are sort of like metal clampy clothespins and clamped the litter box to the side of the cage. She has baby rings that she likes to toss around now.