Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That and it plugs in much nicer and is less easy to bent that little metal outside poo poo that can gently caress up mini USB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Tran posted:

micro-USB handles 10x more connections over it's lifetime. Its also part of the USB 3.0 connector.
Well poo poo I didn't know that! Thanks for clarifying.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Well I'm jumping ship. As soon as the local Rogers stores get iPhone4 stock, I'm grabbing one. Already got my plan modified with the 6GB data plan and I still come out under $60/mo all in (incl. tax).

Peace the gently caress out, Symbian S60.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

VERTiG0 posted:

Well I'm jumping ship. As soon as the local Rogers stores get iPhone4 stock, I'm grabbing one. Already got my plan modified with the 6GB data plan and I still come out under $60/mo all in (incl. tax).

I'm waiting for the white iPhone 4. I suggest you do the same.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

I was doing this until they delayed it indefinitely. gently caress that. Got my black iPhone 4 yesterday.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Dr Tran posted:

What's the added value in waiting if color is unimportant to the buyer? What does your suggestion mean?

VERTiG0 posted:

I also switched to the iPhone 4 from an E71; I sincerely loved that phone! So far, it's been a painless switch. However, good riddance disgusting Ovi suite, hello slow as molasses iTunes. What can you do?

voltron fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 5, 2010

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Are we all jumping ship? I went from my n82 to a mytouch, and my wife just switched from her e71 to a mytouch slide.

I tried to stay loyal, and I really tried to like Nokia, but they're getting dusted by the competition. If you're already paying for a data plan, there are shitloads of phones that will give you a better experience over that connection.

I suppose they still do very well in the niche where you don't have a data plan, but that seems to be a shrinking segment.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

voltron posted:

What's the added value in waiting if color is unimportant to the buyer? What does your suggestion mean?
Resale value! White iPhone 4 is funding my N8 purchase.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Dr Tran posted:

Resale value!
Haha, that's about the only response I think I would agree with.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Civil posted:

Are we all jumping ship? I went from my n82 to a mytouch, and my wife just switched from her e71 to a mytouch slide.

Why the hell would you buy a MyTouch at this point? The hardware's creeping close to 2 years old, and it'll probably never even see 2.2 officially.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr Tran posted:

Resale value! White iPhone 4 is funding my N8 purchase.
And here I was worried that you had lost the faith. :)

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
The samsung Galaxy S pro looks like a good phone to jump ship to. Their Omnia i8910 HD support was neglectful at best thus the fact that the Galaxy S is open to rooting, even already has cyanogen ROMs, is a good sign.

Septimus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 7, 2010

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Why the hell would you buy a MyTouch at this point? The hardware's creeping close to 2 years old, and it'll probably never even see 2.2 officially.
We're getting off topic, but it was super cheap and a huge upgrade (except the camera) from my n82. I don't care about official updates, cyanogen is really good, and I can run a modern version of android. Sure, it's not as fast as other android phones, but it still runs most apps and is speedy enough for now. Things like the multi-touch web browser and the app library absolutely crush what I could do on s60.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

If you got it for $100-$150 off of Craigslist, that's fine. If you bought it on-contract, you wasted your subsidy.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

If you got it for $100-$150 off of Craigslist, that's fine. If you bought it on-contract, you wasted your subsidy.

$95 off SA-mart. And we're on t-mo's even more plus plan, so no subsidy.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Just got an N97 in the mail... the screen has tons of scratches. Is this repairable? If I need to replace it, would any screen off ebay work?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Septimus posted:

Just got an N97 in the mail... the screen has tons of scratches. Is this repairable? If I need to replace it, would any screen off ebay work?

I've ordered stuff off of https://www.cnn.cn to fix my n82 and it's always worked, but I don't know how well those prices compare to ebay.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Septimus posted:

Looks pretty pricey to replace. You could maybe try some compact disc scratch remover. If it works, get some cheap screen protectors off ebay.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
i dont know if i'll jump ship yet, i still have a hardon for symbian. I actually bought this e72 because the iphone 4 i bought is taking too long to arrive. Once i get both, I'll decide which one to keep. I just love me some buttons and decent multitasking though. Maybe I'll compromise, sell both and buy a N8.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

nerdz posted:

i dont know if i'll jump ship yet, i still have a hardon for symbian. I actually bought this e72 because the iphone 4 i bought is taking too long to arrive. Once i get both, I'll decide which one to keep. I just love me some buttons and decent multitasking though. Maybe I'll compromise, sell both and buy a N8.
E72 is so close to perfect. I love the build quality and the way it feels in my pocket. The flashlight button is incredibly useful. The battery life is amazing. It lasted a whole day at Comic Con with push email and twitter running. Driving around with GPS gets one more hour than my N97.

But it sucks at multitasking. You can't click a link from Gravity and open the web browser because it will run out of ram.

If I were you, I'd hold out for this thing. It has buttons.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

nerdz posted:

Should have got an Android phone with a keyboard if you like buttons and good multitasking. iPhone is always playing catch-up in the features department due to their longer development cycle.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Dr Tran posted:

E72 is so close to perfect. I love the build quality and the way it feels in my pocket. The flashlight button is incredibly useful. The battery life is amazing. It lasted a whole day at Comic Con with push email and twitter running. Driving around with GPS gets one more hour than my N97.

But it sucks at multitasking. You can't click a link from Gravity and open the web browser because it will run out of ram.

If I were you, I'd hold out for this thing. It has buttons.

Really? It must me a bug then. They really should let us choose the default browser, opera mobile owns so much. Having flash video is pretty awesome though.

I mean, yesterday I was listening to a web radio while browsing on opera mobile and chatting on fring, and I'm pretty sure gravity was running on the background.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Anyone have experience with Nokia's repair service? I can only find horror stories on the various Nokia and Symbian sites out there.

According to Nokia's website the turnaround time is 5-7 days but everywhere I look it is weeks to months.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Civil posted:

I abandoned ship a little over a year ago, and now can't sell my N82. :(

I'll try eBay next.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Septimus posted:

Anyone have experience with Nokia's repair service? I can only find horror stories on the various Nokia and Symbian sites out there.

According to Nokia's website the turnaround time is 5-7 days but everywhere I look it is weeks to months.

Last time I sent something in, it took a week to get back to me. This was 2 months ago.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I bought an HTC Desire. Goodbye Symbian, good riddance.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Dr Tran posted:

Last time I sent something in, it took a week to get back to me. This was 2 months ago.

The serial number only shows up in the online repair status check when they finally ship it right?

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

VERTiG0 posted:

I bought an HTC Desire. Goodbye Symbian, good riddance.

Did you see/consider the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Dr Tran posted:

Have they actually changed their repair policy? When I bought my n82 three years ago, they wouldn't touch your phone if it was an imported model. So I sprung for coverage from a third party company, and when I needed my phone repaired, they wanted me to send it in with my SIM card and quoted a turnaround time of 2 to 4 weeks.

I just spent the 80 bucks on parts and fixed it myself.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Septimus posted:

Did you see/consider the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S?

I got the Desire until I can find an iPhone4 here in Canada, which is loving impossible unless you're a sperglord who has plenty of free time to spend waiting in line all day in front of stores hoping that a shipment arrives.

The Galaxy S is an amazing phone, but no flash and the fact that I can't get one for less than $500 off-contract nixed that for me. I paid $382.49 + tax for this Desire, brand new from Telus without contract through the team webstore. Gonna unlock it and toss my Rogers SIM in there.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Septimus posted:

The serial number only shows up in the online repair status check when they finally ship it right?

They post updates about when the phone was received, parts are ordered, and shipped off.

And yeah, they still hate imports.

Nowadays its better to buy American anyway. The N8 will cost over $600US in Europe but will probably sell for less than $500US in the states.

I definitely would have sperged out for an iPhone 4 if I was living in Canada. It at least has a flash and its optics are superior to everything I've seen on Android.

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 12, 2010

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

VERTiG0 posted:

I got the Desire until I can find an iPhone4 here in Canada, which is loving impossible unless you're a sperglord who has plenty of free time to spend waiting in line all day in front of stores hoping that a shipment arrives.

The Galaxy S is an amazing phone, but no flash and the fact that I can't get one for less than $500 off-contract nixed that for me. I paid $382.49 + tax for this Desire, brand new from Telus without contract through the team webstore. Gonna unlock it and toss my Rogers SIM in there.
The iphone4 isn't much of an upgrade over the Desire. You already have a top-notch phone.

And since android is the topic of conversation in this here Symbian thread, my wife got a mytouch slide, which is replacing her E71. She misses the E71 battery life, which is pretty loving stellar compared to most other smartphones, and the keyboard had a really nice feel.

Speaking of, anyone want to buy an E71? I've got a thread in the SA Mart.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Septimus posted:

About a week altogether, and they throw in a $10 gift card. They didn't repair my phone though, they just sent (what I assume) is a refurb.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Civil posted:

The iphone4 isn't much of an upgrade over the Desire. You already have a top-notch phone.

Well, $430 or $159? That's kinda what it comes down to, I already renegged for another 3-year with Rogers, getting more and paying less than I was. That's why I did it.

Who knows though, maybe I'll fall in love with Android?

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Dolomite posted:

About a week altogether, and they throw in a $10 gift card. They didn't repair my phone though, they just sent (what I assume) is a refurb.

Oh lordy, they apparently misplaced my shipment after it was delivered!

I doubt I will receive a gift card since nokia.ca doesn't have an online store.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
In case anyone's interested in the N8, a whole batch of videos have been uploaded onto Youtube over the last few days of people using it, and it looks pretty impressive.

Then again I'm using an N82, so it probably doesn't take much to impress me in terms of a UI.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Septimus posted:

I doubt I will receive a gift card since nokia.ca doesn't have an online store.

It was just a Visa, not limited to the Ovi Store or anything. I used it to buy Gravity from the Mobileways' site, not from Ovi.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Nokkkia N8 available for preorder. Only $549!!!
http://store.nokia.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdetail_10500_10101_-1_10000675

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Peven Stan posted:

http://store.nokia.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdetail_10500_10101_-1_10000675

What a steal!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

3 months and it'll be $350-$400 on Amazon.

• Locked thread