Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

I dunno if I'd recommend a devi pedal as your first fuzz, they can make awesome sounds but can also be quite harsh. if you want something cool but a bit more low key i'd say go to fuzzhugger.com and check out what they have, i like the algal bloom best personally.

Or just get a big muff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008
I've been checking out fuzz pedals for like a solid week now. The shoegazer gets a lot of recognition on Devi's boards and I've seen good demos of it, but I've also seen some people dial in some absolute garbage with it. So I don't know. (I did figure out the SM/TP independent channel issue.) Proguitarshop guy Andy gets some decent tones out of it. I hate the mosquito sounds he has when he's playing at 0:35 though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuz1DlTdk9Q

I've also checked out a big muff pi with tone and wicker switches on it. It seemed to lean more towards distortion than fuzz though. Also, some dudes say it doesn't jump out in a mix. PGS makes it sound loving rad though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZTN2gaVGjY

I get the feeling this guy could plug into anything and dial in great tone though :/

In all this anticipation of new pedals I sniped an MXR carbon copy for $75 off of this guy from ilovefuzz dot com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eNzibwq9nc Goon Spotted?

Bonus content: Check out this guy's face when he plays guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tde3Oib1YxQ :v:

Double secret bonus content: Might pick up this Dark Boost > Hyperion custom pedal just for the gnarly artwork. http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11562 (Second pedal)

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Tsunami Redux posted:

I've been checking out fuzz pedals for like a solid week now. The shoegazer gets a lot of recognition on Devi's boards and I've seen good demos of it, but I've also seen some people dial in some absolute garbage with it. So I don't know. (I did figure out the SM/TP independent channel issue.) Proguitarshop guy Andy gets some decent tones out of it. I hate the mosquito sounds he has when he's playing at 0:35 though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuz1DlTdk9Q

I've also checked out a big muff pi with tone and wicker switches on it. It seemed to lean more towards distortion than fuzz though. Also, some dudes say it doesn't jump out in a mix. PGS makes it sound loving rad though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZTN2gaVGjY

I get the feeling this guy could plug into anything and dial in great tone though :/

In all this anticipation of new pedals I sniped an MXR carbon copy for $75 off of this guy from ilovefuzz dot com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eNzibwq9nc Goon Spotted?

Bonus content: Check out this guy's face when he plays guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tde3Oib1YxQ :v:

Double secret bonus content: Might pick up this Dark Boost > Hyperion custom pedal just for the gnarly artwork. http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11562 (Second pedal)

I had a feeling that was you! You scored Aen's Carbon Copy - cool! He's actually the dude that makes the Manglers in addition to his own crazy fuzz pedals. Check out Dwarfcraft Devices if you haven't already. The Eau Claire Thunder is on my list to check out.

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008
I meant I think Aen is a goon. Look at that guy's neckbeard! Anyway somebody is selling that Eau Claire Thunder you're talking about http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11440&sid=60f2d9221a096a1fb8eb03c07d205dfa

Yeah I haven't heard anything bad about the MXR Carbon Copy. I figured it should sound better than my Boss DD-3 at least.

Another day, another serving of youtube fuzz demos. :sigh: The big muff is tempting for the price, but Devi's pedals have that sweet, sweet artwork.

Edit: Ok, after even more youtube fuzz vids, I've come up with the following:

I need this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q1Uv2z58VE
Kick rear end 8-bit tones! :circlefap: @1:43 :roboluv:
I think this kicks the poo poo out of Devi's bit. Just Wow. Can the Soda Meiser do this?

All that aside, it's pretty much either an Earthquaker Devices Hoof or a Big muff pi with tone and wicker. The Shoegazer seems more and more beyond my level of expertise (none) the more I research it. Anyone have thoughts on the hoof? The big muff is alluring since it can be had for dirt cheap, but everyone seems to cream over the hoof.

Help goons!

Tsunami Redux fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 11, 2010

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I've just started to accumulate some pedals (got a E-H Big Muff Pi and a dx86 death metal distortion so far). I've been wanting to get a sort of leslie sound on the cheap, and was thinking about either combining a tuna melt and a milkshake or just getting the wasabi chorus trem. Would there be any difference in sound for one or the other setup?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Well, depending on what you definition of cheap is, I've found that the best rotating speaker simulation bang-for-buck comes from the EHX Wiggler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQUCDMa7iYk

Can typically be had for around $150 used, or just shy of $200 new.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Scarf posted:

Well, depending on what you definition of cheap is, I've found that the best rotating speaker simulation bang-for-buck comes from the EHX Wiggler...

Very true, and there happens to be one on my local Craigslist if you wanted me to snag it for you. Could probably get it quite a bit cheaper than what he has listed.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Hey all, so I am in the market for a delay, but I also want something that loops.

As far as delay, I just want something for leads and occasional ambient noise, nothing extreme. I don't need any crazy delay times or anything, just something that would work for soloing and whatnot. I am thinking the MXR Carbon Copy, the Line 6 DL4, Guyatone Delay, EHX Memory Man, Digitech Hardwire Delay or Boss DD-3.

As for the looper, I just want something I can play a riff on and figure out some leads to put over. Nothing for stage work, just for writing purposes at home. Mainly looking at the Jamman for that.

I know a few of the delay pedals have loop functions (DL4, Memory Man, and Digitech Hardwire). Would it be better to go for a nicer delay with a loop function, or would it be better to pick up the Jamman and a smaller delay like the DD-3, Carbon Copy or the Guyatone.

Thanks!

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

washburn085 posted:

Hey all, so I am in the market for a delay, but I also want something that loops.

As far as delay, I just want something for leads and occasional ambient noise, nothing extreme. I don't need any crazy delay times or anything, just something that would work for soloing and whatnot. I am thinking the MXR Carbon Copy, the Line 6 DL4, Guyatone Delay, EHX Memory Man, Digitech Hardwire Delay or Boss DD-3.

As for the looper, I just want something I can play a riff on and figure out some leads to put over. Nothing for stage work, just for writing purposes at home. Mainly looking at the Jamman for that.

I know a few of the delay pedals have loop functions (DL4, Memory Man, and Digitech Hardwire). Would it be better to go for a nicer delay with a loop function, or would it be better to pick up the Jamman and a smaller delay like the DD-3, Carbon Copy or the Guyatone.

Thanks!

I've been agonizing over this same decision for a few months and after a/b-ing a few models and reading reviews and usage stories, I've come up with one conclusion: Hazarai.

Played with one at Guitar Center Saturday, placed an order on Amazon the next day and should have it tomorrow.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
You should find a store with lots of pedals in stock and try as many delays as possible using the same guitar and amp. There is a lot of personal preference involved. Your list of possible delays are all well-respected pedals but they are very different from each other. The Carbon Copy for example is a rather dark and murky sounding analog delay whereas the Guyatone MD3 on the other hand is a very clean and clear sounding digital delay.

For what it's worth, I will also vouch for the EHX SMMH. I love mine. It's an excellent delay that can cover quite a bit of ground. It'll do most any standard delay sound and some weird wacky poo poo too. I'd say it's a fairly good choice if you don't have that great of an idea what you want out of a delay pedal. It's not that cheap, but based on your list you seem to be ready to spend a little if it's worth it.

You should absolutely try several delays out in a store before you buy one.

edit: now that the guy below me posted, I wish I'd mentioned that I also have a Carbon Copy and I love it too. Wouldn't give it up. It's a better option than the SMMH if you like "keep it simple" style gear.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 17, 2010

UrethraFranklin
Aug 11, 2003
I don't have a drinking problem, 'cept when I can't get a drink.
Washburn, if you're looking for something for ambiance, I'd definitely recommend the Carbon Copy. It can get a little murky at times, but just in terms of making a solo sound epic, or just getting some crazy sounds, I consider it essential.

As far as looping for writing, I couldn't steer you towards any pedal in particular, except maybe for the Boss one, but have you considered recording something and looping it? It's something you could do even with free audio-edit software.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

If you're going to go the non-looper route, I'd recommend looking at the Malekko Ekko 616. I liked its tone quite a bit more than the Carbon Copy, and it's in the same price ballpark.

I wanted the Looper and random other effects too much to go the analog route for my main delay pedal, but the Ekko is still on my list for buying one of these days.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I do prefer analog in general, though I would give that up for something with looping. I also like basic, straight-forward pedals.

I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with the ones with looping and consider that enough for basic writing, or if getting something separate would be better, why pay for 2 pedals if i can get 1 pedal to do both well. I do like the idea of the Jamman because it has the ability to load samples to and from a computer, but if I can save $80 - $100 by just getting a pedal that does both, I can put the money towards something else.

I think I will try out some different delays in the store and if one sticks out that does or doesn't have looping, then I will know.

As far as a dark sound vs something bright, my rig is a Single Rectifier and Mesa Cab (w/ V30's), with either my Gibson LP or my Ibanez S5470 in front of it. If I play my LP, I have a pretty dark sound as it is, the Ibanez... not so much. So maybe something on the brighter end would probably be best, though something more translucent as far as tone goes would be best (ya, I know everything colors sound). I am worried about the Guyatone's reliability, but if it can survive a tour with Ben Weinman, then I am sure it is ok.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 17, 2010

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Boss DD-7, great analog mode among many others, nice long loop mode. If you're going to try performing with the looper a two-button box like the SMMH is probably better but for just practicing/writing the DD-7 is more than enough.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

dancehall posted:

Boss DD-7, great analog mode among many others, nice long loop mode. If you're going to try performing with the looper a two-button box like the SMMH is probably better but for just practicing/writing the DD-7 is more than enough.

40 seconds would be plenty of time, as I would only use it for delay at shows and loop for practice and writing (there is another guitarist in the band). I am just expected to write leads and want to get a little crazier on newer songs we are writing.

I'll definitely check that out.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Has anyone gotten their hands on the Deluxe Memory Boy yet? I really want to give it a spin.

Also the picture musiciansfriend has of the thing doesn't have the output jack :mmmhmm:

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Scarf posted:

Hm, and I like that sound, but my new apartment might take precedence over pedals, and besides being cheaper I could use separate pedals each for their separate effect as well...

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Tsunami Redux posted:

I meant I think Aen is a goon. Look at that guy's neckbeard! Anyway somebody is selling that Eau Claire Thunder you're talking about http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11440&sid=60f2d9221a096a1fb8eb03c07d205dfa

Yeah I haven't heard anything bad about the MXR Carbon Copy. I figured it should sound better than my Boss DD-3 at least.

Another day, another serving of youtube fuzz demos. :sigh: The big muff is tempting for the price, but Devi's pedals have that sweet, sweet artwork.

Edit: Ok, after even more youtube fuzz vids, I've come up with the following:

I need this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q1Uv2z58VE
Kick rear end 8-bit tones! :circlefap: @1:43 :roboluv:
I think this kicks the poo poo out of Devi's bit. Just Wow. Can the Soda Meiser do this?

All that aside, it's pretty much either an Earthquaker Devices Hoof or a Big muff pi with tone and wicker. The Shoegazer seems more and more beyond my level of expertise (none) the more I research it. Anyone have thoughts on the hoof? The big muff is alluring since it can be had for dirt cheap, but everyone seems to cream over the hoof.

Help goons!

Keep meaning to answer this one. If you want 8-bit tones, the Wolf Computer will serve you well, and it's cheaper than a Devi. I'd hop on it with a quickness, those things are known to sell out.

The Hoof has never really caught my eye, but some people seem to go ga-ga for EQD. The thing is, this is really a "to each his/her own" kinda deal. We can all offer our experiences, but there isn't "One Right Fuzz Pedal" to get.

Were I getting a Big Muff, I'd pass on the Tone Wicker in lieu of the Germanium Big Muff (more options) or the Little Big Muff (cheaper).

Basically, though, what it sounds like you want is an oscillating fuzz with a gate. There are lots of those pedals out there - heck, I can get similar sounds with my Truly Beautiful Disaster.

If you want real 8-bitness, you probably want a proper Bit Crusher. Unlike a fuzz pedal that distorts the signal, Bit Crushers sample and then replay the signal at different levels of clarity. This can produce some gnarly tones. The WMD Geiger Counter will do this (but is like really complicated and fairly expensive for one pedal). For something cheaper and probably easier to use, there's the Wrong Side of Uranus, another box that goes out of stock a lot.

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008

blue.eyed.ash posted:

:words:

First off, thanks for all the advice so far, it really helps a lot. I've been focusing on solely technique, music theory, chords and scales for so long that I've completely ignored tone and the production of actual music (and therefore know almost nothing about them).

I ended up getting talked into picking up a Hoof, and I'm pretty happy with it. It took some playing around to figure it out, but after a few minutes of noodling I started to get some fantastic tones out of it. It's a very straightforward fuzz that's good at what it does.

I got a Bit used from ILF for $60 but it hasn't arrived in the mail yet. Basically I got a good big muff territory fuzz and one completely off-the-wall noisy mess. I have high hopes for the bit. The wolf computer seemed like a one trick pony to me. (But then have you seen that $120 EHX Freeze pedal? I don't think I could feel good about spending any more than $60 on that.)

The bit crushers sound crazy. I don't even know if I could do anything with that. I can just barely work the EQ on a fuzz box. :downs:

Now that I've learned fuzzes are awesome, I've got a boss SD-1 and metal zone that I'm less than thrilled with. Can a higher gain fuzz produce gnarly metal tones (Aenima)? I was checking out that MXR fullbore metal too. Any OD experience? I was looking at singing trees.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Tsunami Redux posted:

First off, thanks for all the advice so far, it really helps a lot. I've been focusing on solely technique, music theory, chords and scales for so long that I've completely ignored tone and the production of actual music (and therefore know almost nothing about them).

I ended up getting talked into picking up a Hoof, and I'm pretty happy with it. It took some playing around to figure it out, but after a few minutes of noodling I started to get some fantastic tones out of it. It's a very straightforward fuzz that's good at what it does.

I got a Bit used from ILF for $60 but it hasn't arrived in the mail yet. Basically I got a good big muff territory fuzz and one completely off-the-wall noisy mess. I have high hopes for the bit. The wolf computer seemed like a one trick pony to me. (But then have you seen that $120 EHX Freeze pedal? I don't think I could feel good about spending any more than $60 on that.)

The bit crushers sound crazy. I don't even know if I could do anything with that. I can just barely work the EQ on a fuzz box. :downs:

Now that I've learned fuzzes are awesome, I've got a boss SD-1 and metal zone that I'm less than thrilled with. Can a higher gain fuzz produce gnarly metal tones (Aenima)? I was checking out that MXR fullbore metal too. Any OD experience? I was looking at singing trees.

I don't have a lot of use for OD, so I can't speak to it. I know people dig Singing Trees and Karaoke Parties (and then there's the Danelectro Wasabi if you can find one).

As far as gnarly metal tones, I've been toying with getting a Torn's Peaker and getting it modded to switch between TP and Aenima. I played through the Fullbore at a Guitar Center while I was checking out delays, and my god, is it trebly. Depends on what kind of metal you like, I guess - Boris' guitarist(s) both rock Dwarfcraft fuzzes (the Shiva and the Eau Claire Thunder) on their boards, for example.

The Wolf Computer has a lot going on, but you should be happy with your Hoof & Bit combo! Lotsa versatility there.

I feel like the Freeze is fair at $120, but that's because it's like TOTALLY AWESOME for drones, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a HOG ($460), which has that effect and a shitload of other stuff in addition. It's definitely quirky and not for everyone.

If you've got a SD-1, there are some companies out there who'll mod it for you into something much nicer sounding. Or you can sell your old pedals off for cheap and put that money towards something else.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tsunami Redux posted:

Aenimas guitar sound is three high gain amps; Diezel, Mesa, Marshall being played at once, a fuzz would be too mushy for metal.

Just get a nice throaty amp (one) and maybe a pedal to overdrive it a little more if you dont like the stock tone.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I am highly experienced with ODs and distortions, with quite a few cool fuzzes too. I can try to help.

First, the Metalzone just sucks. It sounds like garbage into most amps. There are rare exceptions. If the amp is bass-heavy without a great deal of treble emphasis, the Metalzone can actually sound great into it. However, if you like the basic Metalzone clipping behavior (that is, the way it distorts, the feel of playing it, not the sound itself) there are a ton of pedals based around the Metalzone's clipping circuitry. Digitech's Grunge pedal, Danelectro's Fab-Tone Distortion (big cockbroach brown metal enclosure, not the little one), EHX Metal Muff, and others share the basic clipping topology of the Metalzone but with different tone shaping. The basic clipping circuitry of a pedal has a lot to do with its feel... A cascaded gain stages high-gain pedal is going to be a lot different than a pedal that squares out the waveform in fewer step by just clipping the gently caress out of it (this is how Fuzz typically works). Some pedals kind of ride the line between distortion and fuzz. Protone's Monster Fuzz is topologically related to the Big Muff, but it's a lot more focused, and way, way higher gain; it has a ton of great distorted range on its gain knob before it flips the crazy switch somewhere around 2 o'clock and starts getting kind of spitty in the bass frequencies. Its tone knob is also a lot better than the stock Muff's.

The Hoof is a great high-gain fuzz, though, I think in it you've got a lot of capabilities. Throw an EQ pedal after it and you have a huge range of sounds.

The stock SD-1 is a great sounding pedal if you ask me, just a Tubescreamer with an extra diode for asymmetrical clipping. Some other variants on the SD-1 are out there, I own an MXR Zakk Wylde OD which is clearly an adjusted SD-1 if you look at the circuit, just lets through a lot more frequencies in the low and high end and has more pronounced amplification and clipping thanks to a gainier Motorola IC.

Album tones cannot be had with a single pedal. Thousands of dollars of outboard gear and software and decades of combined experience in recording go into making albums sound like they do. Even the best pedals designed to sound like a certain album will only get you in the ballpark. E.g. the ProTone Jason Becker Distortion. It's modeled on the pedal and amp setup that Becker used for the Perpetual Burn album, and it has a pretty damned close vibe, but you're going to need to know what you're doing recording and mixing to get a sound that is close to Jason Becker's (let alone the playing, haha).

I have a Singing Tree, what's your interest in it? It's a variant on the Electra Distortion, one of the simpler overdrive circuits out there, I won mine in a contest and think it sounds great. It'll square out a guitar signal in a pretty lovely way when set correctly, throw a filter after it and a delay and you can do some cool guitar-as-a-synth tones.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Guys, a point of clarity: there's a specific Devi Ever pedal called the Aenima, based on the Torn's Peaker circuit.

Sorry for any confusion.

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008
Right, Aenima was in reference to Devi's pedal: http://aenima.deviever.com/ I'm not looking to reproduce Tool's Album, Aenima. Sorry for the confusion there.

The hoof and bit sound great. If I set my amp to slight breakup they really come alive. The hoof really nails smooth, loud fuzz leads and righteous, smooth crunch. The bit is a glitching, sputtering, beautiful mess. Bit into Hoof makes a glitching hoof. It's really neat. It makes me want to buy Devi's Aenima. Anyone had one of those?

My main issue with the SD-1 is that it just sounds so thin by itself and doesn't have much boost to it.

The Metal Zone just sucks. I can't put my finger on why, but there's about one setting I can dial in where it doesn't sound awful. I'm not really a big metal head, but I enjoy some lovely, scooped mids and palm-muting when the mood strikes. Can you get an OK metal tone without a Marshall stack? I'll live with a metal zone or my amp's marshall modeling (vox vt30) if that's the case.

I'm looking at getting a better OD for a decent hard rock sound. My interest in the singing tree is honestly that everyone raves about it and the sticker on the front seems cool. I'm really looking at buying a Fulltone OCD and running it with fuzz or by itself into an amp with some slight gain (like the fender tube amp I'm getting soon) already on it. The HP/LP seems useful and, again, nobody seems to be able to shut up about it. The Hoof and the Bit are so kickass that my natural reaction is to buy more poo poo.

Honestly I have no experience with this stuff. The last time I gigged was in middle school with a crate :cry: solid-state half stack. Any help is greatly appreciated.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

The Metal Muff is a great metal pedal, has a lot more range than the metal zone, IMO. It is what I use at home for practice since I cant play my Rectifier in my apt.

The SD-1 is a great OD, I have one that I modded myself a few years ago and I prefer it to the other OD's that I have/used.

On my looper/delay issue, I ended up getting the jamman, so now I will just spend some time on getting a delay that I like. I think my roommate is getting the guyatone md3 soon, so I will check that out as well as spend some time at GC.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Tsunami Redux posted:

Right, Aenima was in reference to Devi's pedal: http://aenima.deviever.com/ I'm not looking to reproduce Tool's Album, Aenima. Sorry for the confusion there.

The hoof and bit sound great. If I set my amp to slight breakup they really come alive. The hoof really nails smooth, loud fuzz leads and righteous, smooth crunch. The bit is a glitching, sputtering, beautiful mess. Bit into Hoof makes a glitching hoof. It's really neat. It makes me want to buy Devi's Aenima. Anyone had one of those?

My main issue with the SD-1 is that it just sounds so thin by itself and doesn't have much boost to it.

The Metal Zone just sucks. I can't put my finger on why, but there's about one setting I can dial in where it doesn't sound awful. I'm not really a big metal head, but I enjoy some lovely, scooped mids and palm-muting when the mood strikes. Can you get an OK metal tone without a Marshall stack? I'll live with a metal zone or my amp's marshall modeling (vox vt30) if that's the case.

I'm looking at getting a better OD for a decent hard rock sound. My interest in the singing tree is honestly that everyone raves about it and the sticker on the front seems cool. I'm really looking at buying a Fulltone OCD and running it with fuzz or by itself into an amp with some slight gain (like the fender tube amp I'm getting soon) already on it. The HP/LP seems useful and, again, nobody seems to be able to shut up about it. The Hoof and the Bit are so kickass that my natural reaction is to buy more poo poo.

Honestly I have no experience with this stuff. The last time I gigged was in middle school with a crate :cry: solid-state half stack. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This will be helpful, I'll give you some recommendations + some clips later tonight tomorrow. :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 24, 2010

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008

Agreed posted:

This will be helpful, I'll give you some recommendations + some clips later tonight tomorrow. :)

I'll be watching Devi's Aenima and Fulltone's OCD youtube videos while furiously :f5:ing this thread.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

What amp and cabinet setup will this be run into, out of curiosity? I can try to match it as closely as possible in my software to give you a better taste of what you'll get.

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008
Well, right now I have a Vox vt30 that I use to practice.
It has various amp model settings on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDDmUgdh1iM&feature=fvw

I'm going to be getting a Fender 2x12 tube from my cousin sooner or later too. I don't know the model though. Only that it's old and needs new tubes.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Sorry to interrupt the awesome Fuzz discussion going on, but I have a somewhat specific question.

Years ago I bought a Digitech RP-350 because I was using a bass amp I borrowed from a friend and it didn't have any good guitar settings. Since then I've bought a Vox AD100vth and run it through a Marshall MG series 412. The Digitech has essentially become useless because while it can replace a boring tone with something else I've found that it can't really enhance an already good tone.

But I wanted to ask if it would be a good idea to run it through the FX loop of the amp instead of the front of the chain in order to utilize both the built-in EQ (instead of buying a GE7 or MXR 10-band) and some of the cheesier FX. Would running it through the FX loop prevent the pedal from obscuring too much of the good tone I get from the pre-amp tube?

tl;dr: Multi-FX pedal sucking tone, better to use in FX loop of amp as EQ instead?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Tsunami Redux posted:

Well, right now I have a Vox vt30 that I use to practice.
It has various amp model settings on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDDmUgdh1iM&feature=fvw

I'm going to be getting a Fender 2x12 tube from my cousin sooner or later too. I don't know the model though. Only that it's old and needs new tubes.

Well, what Vox model do you use with your current pedals?

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008

Agreed posted:

Well, what Vox model do you use with your current pedals?

Usually either the tweed 2x12 setting or the AC30 setting.

Edit: I'm mainly looking to see what I can get with a better overdrive for hard rock sort of applications. But yes, I do high gain scooped mid stuff once in a while.

Tsunami Redux fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 25, 2010

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'll just go with AT:Fender's reliable Fender Twin reissue model. Should ballpark it for you, anyway. Okay, you wanted high gain scooped stuff?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Tsunami Redux posted:

I read about the Fuzz Factory too; people say most of what you dial in is unusable noise and it takes a lot of tweaking to find something good. I have a hard time dialing in stuff on my Boss pedals with two knobs let alone this thing with five.
:lol: dont go looking for a vintage synthesizer, then

quote:

Is it hard to use? (As a side note I did see someone pull off some good 8-bit sounds with one, which is cool.)
the MXR Blue Box makes some nifty bass sounds often described as 8 bit as well (except when im playing, most folks just say thats 2 bit)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

washburn085 posted:

On my looper/delay issue, I ended up getting the jamman, so now I will just spend some time on getting a delay that I like. I think my roommate is getting the guyatone md3 soon, so I will check that out as well as spend some time at GC.
dont forget ebay and craigslist. most days i prefer my digitech multi play to my moog delay. well, most days i prefer it *with*, but if i had to choose just one, you know. and a multi play is easy to find for fifty bucks or less

if you are looking to spend money, tho, the moog is definitely a powerful sounding unit. its actually got a warm clarity to it on the short setting, then is a dark deep cave on the long mode. the fx loop is a lot of fun, especially with another delay or two inside. if you want to stay on the nicer side of half a grand, the new digitech one, the timebender i think it is, looks very interesting. and the boss re-20 is a lot of fun with a nice character to it

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

dont forget ebay and craigslist. most days i prefer my digitech multi play to my moog delay. well, most days i prefer it *with*, but if i had to choose just one, you know. and a multi play is easy to find for fifty bucks or less

if you are looking to spend money, tho, the moog is definitely a powerful sounding unit. its actually got a warm clarity to it on the short setting, then is a dark deep cave on the long mode. the fx loop is a lot of fun, especially with another delay or two inside. if you want to stay on the nicer side of half a grand, the new digitech one, the timebender i think it is, looks very interesting. and the boss re-20 is a lot of fun with a nice character to it

will definitely take a look at the moog and timebender. I don't mind spending some money, I am at the point where i rather spend a little extra and get quality gear, but I don't need something insanely expensive. A solid, versatile pedal. Something for solos and to dirty up the sound, I don't need any spacey Floyd type sounds.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Tsunami Redux posted:

I'll be watching Devi's Aenima and Fulltone's OCD youtube videos while furiously :f5:ing this thread.

The OCD is nice if you like harsh clipping. Think Dual Rec with the presence knob way up. It will NOT clean up like a lighter overdrive pedal.

Are you gigging? If so, you'll probably find out quickly that anything on a pedal is useless if you can't control it by foot. The half/full power thing on so many pedals is really impractical when it comes to playing out. I can barely be bothered to adjust my delay and phaser between songs, any more hand adjustments would become a distraction.

What's better for live situations is a dual pedal like the FullTone GT500, which has a dirty boost and an OCD-like crunchy distortion. Again, it's a heavy, modern sound that doesn't tone down. No matter how you adjust it, those two FullTones will always add some buzz.

If you're not committed to a metal sound I'd recommend looking at more overdrive sounds. You'll get into more analog and "vintage" type pedals that have a warmer tone and react differently. Pedals like the Tube Screamer can get plenty overdriven, but won't get fuzzy, and clean up if you turn down your guitar volume.

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008

CalvinDooglas posted:

The OCD is nice if you like harsh clipping. Think Dual Rec with the presence knob way up. It will NOT clean up like a lighter overdrive pedal.

What? Every demo I see of the OCD has some guitar neckbeard saying how well it cleans up when you rollback your guitar volume knob. E.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYjik-GKXyI

I've even seen lots of people say they use it for a clean boost when they set it to LP and turn the drive all the way down.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
I think Gilbert uses one as an overdrive pedal, but turns it off (and rolls back the guitar volume) when he wants to clean up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Tsunami Redux posted:

What? Every demo I see of the OCD has some guitar neckbeard saying how well it cleans up when you rollback your guitar volume knob. E.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYjik-GKXyI

I've even seen lots of people say they use it for a clean boost when they set it to LP and turn the drive all the way down.

I may be getting it mixed up with the GT500's distortion