Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomJapaneseGirl
Jul 7, 2010
Hey folks. Another newly-diagnosed canadian on concerta here. A couple of weeks ago I finally got up the courage to see a doc about what I've suspected for two years - and after talking to me for a while and getting me to do some written questionnaires, she agreed that I should try some drugs. My first follow-up doc visit is coming up this week, and I'd like to get a bit of feedback from some of you vets.

I'm 33, and have been taking 18mg of concerta XR for two and a half weeks now. I work remotely from home, and can pretty much set my own schedule. Unfortunately in the past my schedule involved quite a lot of sleeping. I'd always want to nap no matter how much I'd slept the night before. My first week on concerta, I didn't have the urge to nap at all - and it was bloody fantastic. I could focus on things and get my work done in the proper two hours instead of dragging it out for seven or eight while I screwed around with other things - which meant I had time to clean the house. And take care of myself. And relax properly! After the first week, I started to get the sleepy feelings again - and I've actually gone back to napping several times over the last few days. I am still able to direct my focus somewhat, however not nearly as well as during the first week and not for as long. I've also started babbling - it seems like my brain will focus on talking about something and just not shut up until my husband points out that I'm rambling again. This isn't something I was prone to before.

Overall I currently do feel somewhat more in control of my life, and my husband says (when I asked for his honest blunt opinion) that I'm behaving more like a "normal" person than before. However given what I've experienced, should I perhaps be asking for a dosage increase or maybe a different sort of drug? The docs here are pretty good about experimenting, however I have this irrational fear that they'll look at my last two weeks, decide I don't have ADD-I after all, and reinforce my years-long belief that I'm just a lazy bint who wasted her life and brains away because she didn't have any willpower.

RandomJapaneseGirl fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Yeah it def sounds like you just got used to the dosage and its not doing its job anymore, your doc will probably up your dosage.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
So I started vyvanse 30mg on Saturday. The first day I could really feel the effects, but today and yesterday I barely felt anything besides it making my heart beat faster than normal. After about 6 hours I notice that my focus usually goes away and I'm back to my normal self. Anyone have any recomendations on how to make it work for me? I think I will need to increase the dosage.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 18, 2019

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

McFunkerson posted:

I've been on 18mg Concerta since Friday. It's my first time being on daily medication of any kind. The first day I felt fairly jittery for about 10 hours, similar to if I was drinking coffee all day. The next day I barely felt it, and now I don't really feel it at all. My psych pretty much told me 18mg wouldn't do much for me because that's what they give 5year olds. This coming Friday I'm supposed to start taking 2 instead of just the one.

As far as it helping my concentration, I haven't really noticed it besides that first day. However I'm on a family vacation/road trip this week so I haven't actually been trying to focus since last Friday either. We'll see how things go next week when I'm back at work and I'm on 36mg.

This is what happened with me. Started taking 5mg of adderall, and worked my way up to 20mg pretty quickly. I tried 30mg for a few days, but I only take it on the days where I'm really dragging. You know those afternoons, no matter how much sleep you got, where you just can't stay awake. The extra 10mg can easily make me go from sleepy to "hey I feel normal."

As for when you settle into the "right" dose. You won't notice the amphetamine effect anymore, and if you're like me you'll feel like it's not working because it's not obvious, but trust me, you'll know it's right. I forgot my medication yesterday and I couldn't make it through the day. Only been here like 10 minutes and I can already feel the difference and I'm so glad all it takes is a pill to make my working life not miserable.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

casual poster posted:

So I started vyvanse 30mg on Saturday. The first day I could really feel the effects, but today and yesterday I barely felt anything besides it making my heart beat faster than normal. After about 6 hours I notice that my focus usually goes away and I'm back to my normal self. Anyone have any recomendations on how to make it work for me? I think I will need to increase the dosage.

My pdoc told me I could break the capsule in half and dissolve the contents in a bottle of water. Drink half the bottle with breakfast and half with lunch.

You'll also find that vyvanse has a very smooth onset. Unlike Adderall were about 30 minutes after I take it.....WHOA I'M ON MEDICATION! (Althought I take Vyvanse in combination with Lexapro which has a fun little interaction where about 30 minutes after I take them I have the sudden pressing need to take a dump)

permanoob posted:

I have a question though. When you tell someone you have ADD, are you ever met with disbelief? I've been told by a couple of doctors and friends and a brother "I find it hard to believe you're now just figuring this out. Most adults have learned to cope with it by now." I feel offended to a degree. As though they feel like I'm copping out or something. I briefly tell them the problems I continued to have as an adult and growing up. They more or less roll their eyes and say "Oook."

With the few people I've told (the people I'm close enough with to trust them with my confidence) the general reaction is a chuckle and "Yeah no poo poo! You just figured that out?"

McFunkerson posted:

Well my fellow ADD addled goons, today I join your ranks. I just got back from my first appointment with my psych and have been officially diagnosed with "moderate" add and have been given my first prescription for Concerta at the age of 29! I first suspected I had ADD when I was 21ish but never really bothered to do anything about it. Kinda wish I didn't wait so long because, as I've read from some of you, there have been so many unfinished projects and lost potential at this point in my life. Tomorrow I start taking 18mg (or was it 16mg?) pills for the first week before doubling up and then going back to see the psych in 3 weeks.

I was also told it was required that I see a counselor as well to help me break bad habits I've picked up. I was told the meds will help the symptoms but not necessarily the behavior. Is that fairly common? Sorry I swear I looked at every page, I'd say read but... ya know there was a lot of skimming in there too.

You'll find that with (properly adjusted) medication and (a lot of) hard work the symptoms can be wrangled and brought under control. What is a lot harder is clearing the emotional debris that 29 years of struggles and perceived failures brought on by untreated ADHD leaves behind. That's why ADHD has such a high co-morbidity rate for things like depression, dysthymia, anxiety etc.

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 11, 2010

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Would you recommend medication to someone who was diagnosed with add at a young age, and anxiety about 3 years ago, but has recently used adderal recreationally? I've recently begun taking adderall recreationally, but it's effects almost make me feel more "normal" and more in touch with my emotions, as well as more focused.

I have had problems with school in the past, and am beginning my freshman year this fall. Recreational Adderal usage can help me a lot at work and presumably school, but im worried that although with recreational use I enjoy it and it's positive, the effects may be different when I'm on a daily regimen.

I will be visiting all the appropriate doctors in the near future to figure this out, But I'd appreciate some insight before then.

mike grace jones posted:

I wasn't diagnosed until a few months ago (I'm 24). You are very lucky to have gotten treatment at 15. I managed to hold a 3.0 GPA through high school and a top college without doing reading, or any work on time, or even buying books through all of college, but every day I resent that I was able to be a "functional ADD," because as soon as I left the womb of academia the real world hit HARD. I never understood how to manage basic little mundane life tasks or even find an occupation that interested me because EVERYTHING was interested at first and then suddenly not at all. When I think about what I could have accomplished by now if I had been treated throughout my middle and high school years...it's all very depressing. Be happy for the time you've had.

This pretty much exactly described my experience with school. I passed honors high school courses and APs without doing anything, but as soon as poo poo hit the fan towards the end of my junior year I was doomed.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 11, 2010

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I left work a little early yesterday and bought Delivered from Distraction.. I was sitting here at work with it on my desk and I started reading it, and realized. Wait this is distracting me from work!

Hopefully I can get through a decent amount of it during lunch today. It was funny because as I was starting to read it, he was talking about how the person he was talking to was prolly drumming their pencil, and then I realized I was shaking my leg, while twirling a highlighter in my hand banging it on my desk.

I really hope this book can help me :D

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Got a question on behalf of my non-goon bf who started Straterra (40mg, I think?) about 4 weeks ago. It's been working pretty well for him so far, with the only problem being constipation. Poopin' has been an every-few-days ordeal for him. Has anyone else had this side effect, and any tips?

Thanks for a very informative thread, guys. I'll pass on the potassium tip, since he has had to play around with what time he takes the meds to avoid a crash. Also, nthing the recommendation for "Driven to Distraction", it's been a great help for both of us.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

fyallm posted:

I left work a little early yesterday and bought Delivered from Distraction.. I was sitting here at work with it on my desk and I started reading it, and realized. Wait this is distracting me from work!

Hopefully I can get through a decent amount of it during lunch today. It was funny because as I was starting to read it, he was talking about how the person he was talking to was prolly drumming their pencil, and then I realized I was shaking my leg, while twirling a highlighter in my hand banging it on my desk.

I really hope this book can help me :D

So i'm only on page 24, but I haven't stopped grinning once. This is crazy how dead on he is. Jeez the example of having your supervisor give you an assignment that doesn't need to be done in 4 months then waiting till the day before, literally JUST happened to me.. This is a great book, thank you all again

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
How do you guys deal with the anxiety that comes from adderall?

Also, the effects only seem to last about 3 hours to 3 1/2, with the anxiety between hours 2 1/2 and 3.

flavaaDAAAAAVE fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 12, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

How do you guys deal with the anxiety that comes from adderall?

Also, the effects only seem to last about 3 hours to 3 1/2, with the anxiety between hours 2 1/2 and 3.

You know? I'm so glad you mentioned this. Because for months now, I've been feeling more ramped up than usual, but I have never officially been diagnosed with 'anxiety', so I never had a name to attach this feeling to.

Which would make sense, because I have been feeling a lot more anxious about certain aspects in my life; aspects that I've handled in the past with no problems. I'm studying programming right now, and it is going slowly. However, the days I don't take my Adderall? I get less done, but I'm more relaxed about it. If I run into a roadblock, eh. I'll just approach that bit of code later. The days I do take my Adderall, I'm able to get more studying done, but when I hit a roadblock? Then comes the wailing and gnashing of teeth as I get all tense and anxious. I'm horrible, I'm never going to learn this, what the hell am I doing, etc.

Then, when the drug wears off, so does the anxiety.

I'm getting the distinct feeling that Adderall and I aren't just meant to get along. Luckily, I have an Psych appointment next week to go over all of this.

What again does Straterra do? Because that may be an option I present to him.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Qu Appelle posted:

What again does Straterra do? Because that may be an option I present to him.

Strattera is a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor. General consensus among people who use it is that it's better for inattentive type ADHD but there's no research supporting that assertion. The research shows that it's effective, but not as effective as the stimulants.

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
Do you mean it's better than stimulants for inattentives or that it works better in inattentives than hypers and combineds.

The thing that keeps me from trying straterra are the reports about side effects in the beginning and everyone says they feel more calm when it's finally working fully. Wouldn't that benefit hyper/combined types more?

edit - still wondering if adderall isn't working very long for anyone else? I see some people only take two IR's a day. I need at least 3 to get through the work day.

flavaaDAAAAAVE fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 12, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Paramemetic posted:

Strattera is a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor. General consensus among people who use it is that it's better for inattentive type ADHD but there's no research supporting that assertion. The research shows that it's effective, but not as effective as the stimulants.

That's great to know - thanks.

I remember trying it before, and the side effects made my spasticity seriously worse. But that was when I was also taking Wellbutrin...which also made my spasticity worse. And if I can take it at a higher dose than I can the Adderall, it may be worth it to try. I do know that it's one of those drugs you have to take for a few weeks before the full effect kicks in.

Is there also a handy chart anywhere of the current drugs used to treat ADHD, that I can print out? Partially for my benefit, and partially for my docs, as I have the feeling I'm going to be going through a drug change (or 5), and I want to be able to keep track with what works and what doesn't. And I like charts.

I'm also going to pick up both of the 'Distraction' books from the bookstore. I've been meaning to get those for a while now.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 12, 2010

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

Do you mean it's better than stimulants for inattentives or that it works better in inattentives than hypers and combineds.

Keeping in mind that all these reports are anecdotal, and there's no research support behind them, I mean that it's better for inattentives than for combined types.

The research does show that the stimulants are best for all groups, though not as good for inattentives.

Qu Appelle posted:

Is there also a handy chart anywhere of the current drugs used to treat ADHD, that I can print out? Partially for my benefit, and partially for my docs, as I have the feeling I'm going to be going through a drug change (or 5), and I want to be able to keep track with what works and what doesn't. And I like charts.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

edit - still wondering if adderall isn't working very long for anyone else? I see some people only take two IR's a day. I need at least 3 to get through the work day.

I got off adderall about a week ago because it only worked for about a hour, when I was in high school it could last almost all day, it was strange.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Qu Appelle posted:

That's great to know - thanks.

I remember trying it before, and the side effects made my spasticity seriously worse. But that was when I was also taking Wellbutrin...which also made my spasticity worse. And if I can take it at a higher dose than I can the Adderall, it may be worth it to try. I do know that it's one of those drugs you have to take for a few weeks before the full effect kicks in.

I'm also going to pick up both of the 'Distraction' books from the bookstore. I've been meaning to get those for a while now.

Once you get past the stimulant vs. non-stimulant debate it really comes down to one distinction within the stimulants. You'll find that either methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Daytana) or amphetamines (Dexedrine, Adderall, Vyvanse) will work much better than the other. From there the question is what dosage and what delivery mechanism works best for you.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

fyallm posted:

So i'm only on page 24, but I haven't stopped grinning once. This is crazy how dead on he is. Jeez the example of having your supervisor give you an assignment that doesn't need to be done in 4 months then waiting till the day before, literally JUST happened to me.. This is a great book, thank you all again

My mom read my copy when I was in high school, and it was eerie about how all the things in that book were exactly like our every day lives. The thing that got me, and still does, the coughdrop story. The woman has the cough drop wrapper in her car and she means to throw it out at her next stop... but she forgets. She gets back into her car, sees the cough drop wrapper and wonder's how she could have forgotten it. A year later, it's still in her car and she beats herself up about it everytime.

That's me to a tee. I'll write a note on my hand, tie a string to my hand and I will still forget to grab something, or I'll decide I'll just get it later. Which is when my anxiety and depression kicks in because I can't remember some stupid basic thing and I beat myself up about it. For me, anxiety and ADHD have come hand in hand. I get hyperactive and obsess about stupid things and work myself into a huge tizzy because I'm so hyperfocused on whatever it is that I'm doing wrong. It is literally hell, but learning to recognize when I'm getting into that mind set has helped immensely.

causticBeet posted:

Would you recommend medication to someone who was diagnosed with add at a young age, and anxiety about 3 years ago, but has recently used adderal recreationally? I've recently begun taking adderall recreationally, but it's effects almost make me feel more "normal" and more in touch with my emotions, as well as more focused.

I'm not going to lie, I gave some adderall to a friend in college who had a test coming up. But this was a guy who I knew had it, and within 30 minutes, he was a calmer, happier person. He actually turned down weed and was able to enjoy his classes. If the meds make you feel calmer and more receptive to what's actually happening in the world, by all means find a psychiatrist and tell them about your ADHD and get a prescription.

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
Hokay... Let me tell you, internet, about how my dick isn't working. Well. IT works, but it doesn't want to allow me the spector of a grand finale. Simply put - anorgasmia.

I just upped my dose to 10mg 3 times a day with a maybe fourth 5mg after work if I feel like it. It's working well, but I could see myself experimenting with 15 and 20 mg doses just to see (with doc's permish).

I'm familiar with the flaccid penis side effects of SSRI's because of my foray into Paxil hell. I'm on Lexapro now concurrently with Adderall and by itself it had not cause me to lose that ability that brings me to rapturous paroxyms.

My concern is that this debilitating affliction might linger after the adderall is out of my system. Is this concern of mine valid? I mean, I need to take something for my ADD, but I'd like to at least get some satisfaction in the morn' if a day full of the meds impugns my body's nightly desire.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

Only need 2 to get through a work day at the moment, but my job isn't painfully boring or anything. Without just 2 a day though, oh man, there's no way I can be productive. :niggly:

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

My concern is that this debilitating affliction might linger after the adderall is out of my system. Is this concern of mine valid? I mean, I need to take something for my ADD, but I'd like to at least get some satisfaction in the morn' if a day full of the meds impugns my body's nightly desire.

A, you're a nerd, you nerd, B, I personally haven't had any impotent-ish side effets with adderall, but I did get it pretty hardcore with Lexapro. Which were you taking first? You didn't make that part very clear. ;)

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
Lexie came first. I've had far less problems with it than I did Paxil, but it did delay my orgastic pleasure. Since I have a history of this problem with SSRI's I'll assume that Lexie is to blame, but I was wondering if anyone else had this experience.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

Adderall that's not XR leaves your system pretty quick. If it's been 2 days after your Adderall and you can't keep it up, it may be a psychological thing. I've heard some people say Adderall's hard on their sex life, but after being on anti depressants, it's not much for me. Other thing I've noticed about Adderall as a positive is that it makes it much easier to focus on what you're doing and to stretch it out.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

Hokay... Let me tell you, internet, about how my dick isn't working. Well. IT works, but it doesn't want to allow me the spector of a grand finale. Simply put - anorgasmia.

I just upped my dose to 10mg 3 times a day with a maybe fourth 5mg after work if I feel like it. It's working well, but I could see myself experimenting with 15 and 20 mg doses just to see (with doc's permish).

I'm familiar with the flaccid penis side effects of SSRI's because of my foray into Paxil hell. I'm on Lexapro now concurrently with Adderall and by itself it had not cause me to lose that ability that brings me to rapturous paroxyms.

Is it total anorgasmia or can you get there when flying solo?

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
I have to really beat my dick up for about 30 minutes by myself. My gf dries out before I can get off with her.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I have to really beat my dick up for about 30 minutes by myself. My gf dries out before I can get off with her.

I don't own a penis, but in the conversations I have with people that do, I get the impression that that's really abnormal.

Either way - if it's a symptom that is distressing you, definitely bring it up to the doctor. What wouldn't bother one person at all can totally debilitate another, and the doctor should know of these things to help in your treatment.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Quick question: would it be allright to combine ritalin and concerta, as in take one ritalin 10mg, then take a concerta 54mg about 3h30 later? I used to only take ritalin 10mg and then taking one more pill on long days wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know how that would work with concerta, interaction-wise.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Jolan posted:

Quick question: would it be allright to combine ritalin and concerta, as in take one ritalin 10mg, then take a concerta 54mg about 3h30 later? I used to only take ritalin 10mg and then taking one more pill on long days wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know how that would work with concerta, interaction-wise.

Generally it shouldn't be a problem since both mediactions use the same active ingredient. Just make sure that previous dose has mostly worn of, otherwise you'll get all jittery and nervous, but after three and a half hours that shouldn't be critical.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Plankalkuel posted:

Generally it shouldn't be a problem since both mediactions use the same active ingredient. Just make sure that previous dose has mostly worn of, otherwise you'll get all jittery and nervous, but after three and a half hours that shouldn't be critical.

Okay, thanks. Getting jittery isn't that big a problem for me, it's just that I'm starting to get the feeling the 54mg-doses are straining my heart a bit too much. Got my heart tested a year ago and they told me it was fine, so I'm guessing it's got more to do with current stress levels and lack of sleep and so on.

I'd rather switch to concerta 36mg or back to just all-day doses of ritalin 10mg, just because it makes me feel less 'pumped up', but I feel like I can't focus the way I need to with those doses. Just 48 hours until master's thesis is due, so I can switch back to a lighter dose then.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Jolan posted:

Wait, how are you getting the concerta? Why on earth are you not asking a psychiatrist this? If you need to focus, just take another dose and eat a lot of Tums, don't mess with another med.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Effexxor posted:

Wait, how are you getting the concerta? Why on earth are you not asking a psychiatrist this? If you need to focus, just take another dose and eat a lot of Tums, don't mess with another med.

They are both the same medication (methylphenidate) with different release mechanisms. Its quite common with methylphenidate to use long time release meds for most of the day and extend the duration by short time variants when needed.
You are right however that such things are something to ask the specialist who prescribed those medications.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Effexxor posted:

Because my psych is on holiday right now, I won't see him again for another two weeks. He's been prescribing me ritalin 10mg for a few years now (save for a brief stint with 30mg MR), but we've been experimenting with concerta 36mg and 54mg since a few months ago. It's just that right now, I need to focus for a period longer than a single dose of concerta grants me, so I thought about taking another ritalin 10mg first, since it clears from your system fairly rapidly and since concerta-capsules release a slightly higher dose as the day goes by, if I'm not mistaken. That way, I could be fairly certain that I wouldn't have too much methylphenidate left in my body when I took the concerta. I just wasn't sure if maybe the difference in release mechanisms somehow caused complications.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Jolan posted:

Because my psych is on holiday right now, I won't see him again for another two weeks. He's been prescribing me ritalin 10mg for a few years now (save for a brief stint with 30mg MR), but we've been experimenting with concerta 36mg and 54mg since a few months ago. It's just that right now, I need to focus for a period longer than a single dose of concerta grants me, so I thought about taking another ritalin 10mg first, since it clears from your system fairly rapidly and since concerta-capsules release a slightly higher dose as the day goes by, if I'm not mistaken. That way, I could be fairly certain that I wouldn't have too much methylphenidate left in my body when I took the concerta. I just wasn't sure if maybe the difference in release mechanisms somehow caused complications.

Wasn't aware it was the same chemical, I'd been on Adderall only. Still, call the office and see if there's another therapist who could answer the question in the office. With my doctor, when he's out and I have a question, they'll generally tell me to call back at the end of the day to get an answer. Seriously though, ask your therapist at your next appointment about this.

Also, I know people were talking about this a while ago, but coffee, when I don't have my adderall, is a god send. I can remember a 4 hour biology class that I forgot to take my meds before, and I drank about 4 cups from the teachers lounge to be able to focus. Something about it works like the amphetamines and speeds me up till I calm down. It can make my heart flutter, but it's not anywhere near as noticable and when I have an energy drink. Blech.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I had the GP appointment for my hearing today, and I see the Audiologist in two weeks. She thinks it's just noise induced hearing loss, stemming from childhood. - my parents liked to take me to blues concerts in bars when I was young, and that can do a number on your ears. Never really thought about that being a source, as it didn't happen often, but that could do it!

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

casual poster posted:

Does anyone know if theres a stigma attached to adult adhd? For as long as I can remember it has always been marketed as a childhood disorder that you eventually "grow out of."

This also depends on where you are. Here in Germany, a lot of people I tell about it don't even immediately recognize what ADHD is, and while they usually heard of Ritalin, exposure to media about the disorder or the meds hasn't really been that plentiful after the last bout of "Are we drugging our children" articles quite a few years ago. The people I've talked to have usually been supportive and understanding (towards mental disorders in general), though, even though it's not a big secret for me that I would only tell a select few people.

Perhaps it also helps that there are no advertisments for prescription drugs around here, so it's hard for any kind of meds to be marketed towards anyone in particular, unlike what some people here have written. I would never have heard about most of the brands in this thread without reading it and other information about ADHD.

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
I've read some people who recommend taking vit C or drinking something acidic in the evening to help with sleep. Anything to that or is, lets say, 5 hours after you took your last dose too late to mediate any lingering effects?

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Switched recently from concerta to Adderall xr.

Definitely feeling a lot better, but I don't think I like the extended release. I'm supposed to be taking 10mg for a week, then 20mg, but it feels like it lasts too long, or I haven't done enough to tire myself out so I'll stay awake all night and fall asleep in the morning when I'm supposed to take my pill.

I do like the differences in the drugs though:

Concerta: Really bad sweating (breathing made me sweat), severe suppressed appetite, couldn't sleep, dry mouth, chills and hot flashes, heart fluttered like mad, didn't help me concentrate much, and the residual effects lasted way too long.

Adderall XR: Higher concentration, bit of difficulty sleeping, meds last too long, suppresses my appetite a little too much for my liking.

Probably going to get switched to just straight up adderall so I can control when it wears off so I can eat and get more in tune with what my body needs.

Thanks to the thread I also ordered the book Driven to Distraction. Now it's the waiting game while amazon ships it out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's so interesting to see how everyone reacts differently to the medication. I've been taking Concerta (the extended release version, if that's not the only one) for about a month now, and I haven't had any side effects at all. Moreover, it really works--I can be productive for an entire day now, even if there are distractions. I still have a little trouble getting started on that productivity, but this is still a major improvement.

Edit: I just saw the press release for a very interesting study:

quote:

Study shows birth dates, school enrollment dates affect ADHD diagnosis rates

Rising rates of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and large differences in diagnosis rates have led to fears that the condition is often being misdiagnosed. A new study from North Carolina State University demonstrates that these concerns are justified. The researchers found large discrepancies in diagnosis and treatment rates based on small differences in children's dates of birth.

"The question we asked was whether children who are relatively young compared to their classroom peers were more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD," says Dr. Melinda Morrill, a research assistant professor of economics at NC State and co-author of a paper describing the study. "To answer the question, we looked at children born shortly before the kindergarten eligibility cutoff date and children born shortly after the cutoff date and compared the rates of ADHD diagnosis and treatment."

The researchers figured that children born just a few days apart should have the same underlying risk of having ADHD. So finding a significant difference in diagnosis rates between children born only a few days apart is strong evidence of medically inappropriate diagnosis.

Morrill explains that the study shows that children born just after the kindergarten cutoff date were 25 percent less likely to be diagnosed as having ADHD than children born just before the cutoff date. "This indicates that there are children who are diagnosed (or not) because of something other than underlying biological or medical reasons.

"We believe that younger children may be mistakenly diagnosed as having ADHD, when in fact they are simply less mature," Morrill says.

Morrill stresses that "we are not downplaying the existence or significance of ADHD in children. What our research shows is that similar students have significantly different diagnosis rates depending on when their birthday falls in relation to the school year."

For the study, the researchers examined data from two national health surveys and a national private health insurance claims database to evaluate rates of ADHD diagnosis and treatment in children. The data sources covered different time periods ranging from 1996 to 2006.

###

The paper, "Measuring Inappropriate Medical Diagnosis and Treatment in Survey Data: The Case of ADHD among School-Age Children," was co-authored by Morrill, Dr. William N. Evans of the University of Notre Dame, and Stephen T. Parente of the University of Minnesota. The paper is being published in a forthcoming issue of the Journal of Health Economics, in conjunction with a related paper from Michigan State University that arrives at similar conclusions as the result of a separate study.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 18, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Interesting study - I wonder if it'll change anything.

In my world, I'm off the drugs completely - the irritability and anxiety is just messing with me in regards to the Adderall, and, to quote my doc, 'I don't have to think a lot right now'. It was also starting to make me depressed upon the comedown, and that's not really needed right now.

If/when we try drugs again, we're trying the Vyvanse. He shot down the Strattera because it made me dystonic. But for now, drug holiday! Let's go ride bikes! (Or, in my case, go swimming - I like that a lot more.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

ultrafilter posted:

Edit: I just saw the press release for a very interesting study:

Interesting, that's a clever way to analyze the issue.

I did some research on the topic a while back. I could only find one really good paper that addressed mis-diagnosis rates. Their methodology had a pretty large margin of error, so it wasn't anything conclusive, but the finding was that approximately the right number of kids were diagnosed with ADD, but only 2/3rds of those diagnoses were correct.