Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sockington posted:

MazdaMotorsport, but you'll have to "fab up" some results from a couple autocross events... :tinfoil:

Uhhh, I mean just a dealer who sells parts online for cheaper prices than what is found at the dealership.

ie getbmwparts.com or 1sttoyotaparts.com, but for mazda parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I used Rosenthal Mazda to buy a shitload of OEM oil filters for my MS3, it was reasonably cheap and they threw in the correct filter wrench that makes it super easy too.

In other news, the OEM battery on my MS3 conked out tonight. No, it couldn't have died any other time during this long and lazy weekend, it picked tonight.

ronaldrape
Mar 3, 2006

air- posted:

ronaldrape, are you also using a dashhawk?

I am using a DH, I've been keeping an eye on everything and it's running surprisingly well. Dyno showed 20WHP difference between stock and the HT tune. Not too bad for a set it and forget it mod for my daily driver :)

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

So, I just recently traded my 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe on a 2009 MS3. I find myself hauling people in the back at least once a week, and the back seats on the Genesis were not cutting it. I made some money on the deal, and so far the buyer's remorse isn't too bad. I went with the 2009 because I am not a huge fan of the new style. Luckily, I was able to get one with fewer miles than my Genesis had (I drive a lot).

So far, the only thing that feels like a step down is the headliner. Did they really have to use such lovely felt stuff? My last Mazda was an RX-8, and I seem to remember the headliner material being a lot nicer.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Stop touching it.

This is a fairly bare-bones, unrefined, poor-mannered car with excellent handling and gobs of power. A Genesis is no Mercedes, but it's certainly more refined than an MS3.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Uhhh, I mean just a dealer who sells parts online for cheaper prices than what is found at the dealership.

ie getbmwparts.com or 1sttoyotaparts.com, but for mazda parts

They sell OEM parts (it's online Mazda parts) but you have to prove you've raced your car. :( HUGE discount

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm in the market for a newer car to replace my 240sx and the MS3 is on the short list. I test drove a beat up (and overpriced) 2007 Sport model yesterday and I liked the seats, clutch and shifter feel, and all of the other things that come with a 12 year younger car. (Holy torquesteer batman! This is the first powerful FWD car I've driven.) Although the previous owner had put on at the very least CAI, BOV, and installed a Greddy turbo timer (which I thought was unnecessary with modern, water cooled turbos?). By "beat up" I mean that the PO must have hopped a curb or hit something with a good amount of force to put a big dent in the kick panel and bottom of the passenger side door. The side skirt had definitely been replaced. The dealership wanted $13.9k for it.

So, in this vein I've been looking locally for a GT model which all seem to have somewhere around 30k miles and listed prices between $16-17k from private sellers. What has everyone else paid for these cars? Would it be possible to get one for closer to $15k?

I also found that a Mazda dealer in town has a new 09, white MS3 GT for sale. Looking online I found that people were paying around $20-21k in 2009 for the GT. Can anyone give me a guess on what you might be able to get 09 GT for now that it's been sitting on a lot for at least a year?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 10, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it's been sitting on the lot for a year, expect the dealer to not give a poo poo about moving it. That's what I encountered when in summer of '06, I was talking to the fuckheads at Earnhardt Mazda in Chandler about buying one of the nine '04/'05 Mazdaspeed Miatas they had on the lot.

I paid $18k out the door in April of last year for my '07 GT with 24k on it, from a dealer.

I would run away from that one - a turbo timer is indeed useless on one of these cars. Just make sure you didn't stomp on it and then shut it off, just spend a little time at idle. The bigger issue with these turbos by far is the seals anyway, which can be resolved by any number of fixes before they do start smoking.

I think $15k might be stretching it for one in good condition, but you never know.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it's been sitting on the lot for a year, expect the dealer to not give a poo poo about moving it. That's what I encountered when in summer of '06, I was talking to the fuckheads at Earnhardt Mazda in Chandler about buying one of the nine '04/'05 Mazdaspeed Miatas they had on the lot.

I paid $18k out the door in April of last year for my '07 GT with 24k on it, from a dealer.

I would run away from that one - a turbo timer is indeed useless on one of these cars. Just make sure you didn't stomp on it and then shut it off, just spend a little time at idle. The bigger issue with these turbos by far is the seals anyway, which can be resolved by any number of fixes before they do start smoking.

I think $15k might be stretching it for one in good condition, but you never know.

That's upsetting about the dealer you dealt with. I really like the look of the 08.5's and I think the white paint looks great.

For kicks we tried to see how low we could get the dealer to budge on the 07 sport. I wouldn't even consider buying it unless I could get them to go really low, say $8k. We didn't spend a whole lot of time, but he tried to tell us that they owned the car for $13.7. I really just went to test drive the car since I had not driven one before.

I think you're right about $15k being on the low side. I just said this because there are several MS3's that have been for sale on CL locally for over 2 months. My thought being that maybe the sellers will be a little more flexible now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looking online locally, I think the only way you'll get a GT at or under $15k is going to be if you come across a dealer that has one and doesn't realize it's a GT. Private sellers should almost certainly know the difference and it looks like the nearly-$2k difference I was seeing a year ago is still there today.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone know where I can get the TZR rear motor mount thats actually in stock? Protege garage is sold out for however long.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Did a service today:
Oil change, full synthetic
brake fluid
tranny fluid
throttle body cleaned
tires rotated
and they cleaned the poo poo out of my CAI filter, all for only 200 bucks.

:krad:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bovine Delight posted:

Anyone know where I can get the TZR rear motor mount thats actually in stock? Protege garage is sold out for however long.

Finally got this in. Vibrations are pretty intense, but you can slam it 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and never miss a shift. Highly recommended.

ps does anyone still post in this thread? :ohdear:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bovine Delight posted:

Did a service today:
Oil change, full synthetic
brake fluid
tranny fluid
throttle body cleaned
tires rotated
and they cleaned the poo poo out of my CAI filter, all for only 200 bucks.

:krad:

Wow. How many miles?

I think I gotta get started on researching brakes, I'm at 44k right now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bovine Delight posted:

Finally got this in. Vibrations are pretty intense, but you can slam it 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and never miss a shift. Highly recommended.

ps does anyone still post in this thread? :ohdear:

Not really because we're all too busy driving :v: That mount sounds really nice though. How much did it set you back? I want to do that and an oil catch can since apparently Mazda will never actually finish the revised PCV system.

I just rolled over 60k on mine on Sunday. I've got some pricey-rear end sparkplugs, some pricey-rear end Ford synthetic transmission fluid, some Pennzoil Platinum and a Mazda oil filter, an AEM cleaning kit, and some two-part epoxy to fix some of the busted mount points on my front bumper, waiting for me to have some time.

Has anyone found ramps that just work with the car? I have to lay out some wood in front of mine to have the front splitter not push the ramps ahead and it's really obnoxious since the only wood I have is a giant piece of particleboard. The fact that I'm running slightly shorter 225/40R18s instead of the 215/45R18s doesn't help either.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Allegedly Rhino Ramps work. I prefer my home-made wood ramps that give me just enough clearance to squeeze my lovely hydraulic jack under the crossmember, yet not enough room to actually move the handle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nah, mine are Rhinos. I suppose I could just find some smaller, easier-to-work-with scraps of wood, huh.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

air- posted:

Wow. How many miles?

I think I gotta get started on researching brakes, I'm at 44k right now.

Just did this as my 30k service. Tranny fluid could have probably gone another 10k or so but I wanted to put in that fancy Ford synthetic, the XT-M5-QS stuff.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not really because we're all too busy driving :v: That mount sounds really nice though. How much did it set you back? I want to do that and an oil catch can since apparently Mazda will never actually finish the revised PCV system.

I just rolled over 60k on mine on Sunday. I've got some pricey-rear end sparkplugs, some pricey-rear end Ford synthetic transmission fluid, some Pennzoil Platinum and a Mazda oil filter, an AEM cleaning kit, and some two-part epoxy to fix some of the busted mount points on my front bumper, waiting for me to have some time.

Has anyone found ramps that just work with the car? I have to lay out some wood in front of mine to have the front splitter not push the ramps ahead and it's really obnoxious since the only wood I have is a giant piece of particleboard. The fact that I'm running slightly shorter 225/40R18s instead of the 215/45R18s doesn't help either.

Motor mount was 100 bucks, free shipping. Seriously the easiest install ever. 17mm socket and ratchet, a torque wrench and some gloves. Pop out two bolts, wiggle out the stock mount, then pull the tranny forward a bit and pop in the new mount. Throw some loctite on the bolts, torque them to around 80ft/lbs, and you're done. There are some intense vibes when you're first rolling out of first with the AC one, supposedly they get better once you "break in" the mount.

I can put mine on the rhino ramps pretty well, you do have to be careful of the splitter pushing them forward. I put the TRZ dogbone motor mount on with them last night, in fact.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

My '07 MPS has red calipers and I just realised (after a year of ownership) that I am not sure if they are standard. I hope the PO didn't paint them Fabulous Red for the sake of looking gorgeous.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

For anyone interested in Gen 2 tuning: a local guy just got back from Dynotronics in New Braunfels and posted some positive feedback for his Gen 2's Piasini Tune. His mods are rear motor mount, catch can, and shifter bushings.

quote:

The power difference in all gears is HUGE! He raised the boost to 18psi spike, 16psi settle, removed ALL TP and boost limitations in all gears, including the steering wheel angle sensor boost limiter. The power goes all the way to 6800 RPM redline, and when you shift, it drops you back to 5500 RPMs, right into the powerband, with no throttle lag or boost lag. The AFR is still at 10:1 too! So there's even more power to be had for those that want it.

No hard numbers since the dyno wasn't open today. Here's the owner of Dynotronic's Gen 2, which is completely stock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvR1yRTRRn4

And here's his thread on MSF (where I got his quote, he cross-posted the same thing on our DFW Mazda forum):
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f426/got-my-piasini-tune-today-64218/

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

That's interesting and all, but no answer as to whether or not it's applicable to the 1st gen MS3s.

Hah, never seen under the hood of a 2010. Looks just like my '08.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Kynetx posted:

That's interesting and all, but no answer as to whether or not it's applicable to the 1st gen MS3s.

Hah, never seen under the hood of a 2010. Looks just like my '08.

They are, just that it's a lesser known tune. I think only a few first gens are running it, as in, maybe a handful or fewer.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

80 whp is absurd for just a software flash. I'd have some pretty serious concerns about fueling and turbo longevity, not to mention the internals. Is the MZR really that stout from the factory to handle an extra 100 bhp over stock?

I'd be interested even if just to remove the torque nanny and lessen the throttle smoothing.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

SynMoo posted:

Is the MZR really that stout from the factory to handle an extra 100 bhp over stock?

No. Nor is the fuel pump have sufficient capacity to keep it rich enough, so I suspect black magic. If you look at the dyno footage it might be as simple as just keeping the throttle more consistently open. The stock pull shows some erratic movement.

I dunno. I was under the impression that these engines were about as tuned as they were gonna get, barring something that would impact NVH, like intake and exhaust mods. If this particular tune is legit that's a lot of bang for the buck... $500.00 for a 30% increase across the board. Wow. I like that in between shifts, the RPMs float at 5500. Is that considered no-lift shifting? That coupled with launch control would be pretty drat cool.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. The official Mazdaspeed intake and exhaust are supposed to get you over 300. This is only 40 more than that. Maybe it can take the increase.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kynetx posted:

No. Nor is the fuel pump have sufficient capacity to keep it rich enough, so I suspect black magic. If you look at the dyno footage it might be as simple as just keeping the throttle more consistently open. The stock pull shows some erratic movement.

I dunno. I was under the impression that these engines were about as tuned as they were gonna get, barring something that would impact NVH, like intake and exhaust mods. If this particular tune is legit that's a lot of bang for the buck... $500.00 for a 30% increase across the board. Wow. I like that in between shifts, the RPMs float at 5500. Is that considered no-lift shifting? That coupled with launch control would be pretty drat cool.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. The official Mazdaspeed intake and exhaust are supposed to get you over 300. This is only 40 more than that. Maybe it can take the increase.

Well, you can build the engine that much but there is no way I'd run that flash without upgrading a few things. You mentioned the fuel pump which is absolutely required, either a SRI/CAI, a rear motor mount, a catback exhaust. Probably need to upgrade the BOV and throw a test pipe on there as there is a pretty big restriction there.

The Cobb guys are based right near me, I wish I could get them to tune the car but it's my daily driver and I don't think it would be all that fun in traffic.

edit: read the MSF forums, they tore this guy apart. Looks sketchy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 19, 2010

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Kynetx posted:

Is that considered no-lift shifting? That coupled with launch control would be pretty drat cool.

FYI the Piasini tune has the option for flat foot shifting, but no launch control.

Bovine Delight posted:

edit: read the MSF forums, they tore this guy apart. Looks sketchy.

Agreed. It's outrageous for a tuned stock car to make the same kind of power that a tuned and (practically) fully bolted one makes. We'll be seeing some dyno results pretty soon though!

Also check out the thread with the 2010 tuned by ShopCT. Stock Gen2 puts down 250, and then add a bunch of parts plus tune, it makes 314. Interesting.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I'll probably never do anything more than a CAI/SRI, RMM and a mild tune. Maybe some lighter wheels.

My MKIV GTI 1.8T was perfect. Koni Sport Cup Kit, General Exclaim UHP tires and the GIAC 93 octane program. Should have never sold that car.

Thankfully, I already love the suspension on this car. The only thing I might consider is switching to Koni FSD's to get a little more comfort out while not sacrificing the handling.

As far as a CAI or SRI, I'm located very close to CP-E and can't decide if I want the SRI or the CAI. Based on the dyno charts on their website, the full CAI significantly improves spool time, which is a pet peeve of mine. Coming from a 1.8T and then a 2.0T, this thing takes ages to get going despite having more displacement. Yeah, I know the turbo is larger, but it's still has a bit more lag than I like. Spooling at 2K was amazing.

Anyone have an opinion on CAI vs. SRI? I like the idea of the SRI being less expensive and less 2fast2furious for lack of a better term, but the dyno graphs clearly show the CAI to be a better performer. I'd like the dyno graphs but they appear to have redone their website and forgot the links.

CAI http://cp-e.com/content/mazdaspeed3-gen2-xcel%E2%84%A2-cold-air-intake
SRI http://cp-e.com/content/mazdaspeed3-gen2-xcelnano%E2%84%A2-air-intake

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SynMoo posted:

I'll probably never do anything more than a CAI/SRI, RMM and a mild tune. Maybe some lighter wheels.

My MKIV GTI 1.8T was perfect. Koni Sport Cup Kit, General Exclaim UHP tires and the GIAC 93 octane program. Should have never sold that car.

Thankfully, I already love the suspension on this car. The only thing I might consider is switching to Koni FSD's to get a little more comfort out while not sacrificing the handling.

As far as a CAI or SRI, I'm located very close to CP-E and can't decide if I want the SRI or the CAI. Based on the dyno charts on their website, the full CAI significantly improves spool time, which is a pet peeve of mine. Coming from a 1.8T and then a 2.0T, this thing takes ages to get going despite having more displacement. Yeah, I know the turbo is larger, but it's still has a bit more lag than I like. Spooling at 2K was amazing.

Anyone have an opinion on CAI vs. SRI? I like the idea of the SRI being less expensive and less 2fast2furious for lack of a better term, but the dyno graphs clearly show the CAI to be a better performer. I'd like the dyno graphs but they appear to have redone their website and forgot the links.

CAI http://cp-e.com/content/mazdaspeed3-gen2-xcel%E2%84%A2-cold-air-intake
SRI http://cp-e.com/content/mazdaspeed3-gen2-xcelnano%E2%84%A2-air-intake

I have a CAI, works dandy. If you live where there is a lot of water on the ground frequently, the SRI may be a better bet.

It's funny too, because my last car was a MkIV GTI. I almost want a TDI Golf.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Hey guys, I need some quick help. My cobb sri came with these weird looking things instead of bolts for the MAF housing. I'm confused as hell as to why they're in here instead of the bolts like the PDF and manual have.

Is it safe to still use these or should I just go to Home Depot? If so, what size are they? Just regular m6?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Sublime Process posted:

Hey guys, I need some quick help. My cobb sri came with these weird looking things instead of bolts for the MAF housing. I'm confused as hell as to why they're in here instead of the bolts like the PDF and manual have.

Is it safe to still use these or should I just go to Home Depot? If so, what size are they? Just regular m6?

Helps if the pic stays attached...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

You use your existing bolts to install that, and that's what the instructions are implying.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Just took this real quick... hope this helps

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Existing bolt? :confused: There are no existing bolts for this - its for the new mounting bracket and new MAF housing.

Either way, they didn't fit so I just went to Home Depot.

Edit: Thanks for the pic, but I'm confused as to what you're pic is of?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

That's the part of my MS intake where I used the same type of rubber mount to re attach the fuel pump ballast (which must be why they had existing bolts). Misunderstood what you were trying to do, I just saw the mount and thought hey, that's familiar!

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Ah ok, that explains it. I cross posted this on a mazda forum and a guy said it was for the CAI.

Either way, thanks for the reply. Home Depot saved me. Now my car sounds like a hoover. :smugdog:

Edit: vvvv Fixed it, sorry. Been on Mazda forums too long that day. :(

Sublime Process fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 23, 2010

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sublime Process posted:

Home Depot ftw!

dont do this please

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
The local Mazda dealer has a "great deal" on an automatic '09 M3 touring hatchback with 16k miles for $16k. From my research, this seems lower than other places and I'm skeptical that it's too good to be true. I'm unfortunately not an expert and have just started my research into a new-to-me car but I liked how the MS3 drove (a lot). Is this reasonable or should I be worried why it's so low?

edit: not a MS3

scr0llwheel fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 22, 2010

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
There is no automatic Mazdaspeed 3...

SiB
May 6, 2005
I just snagged a MS3 that was crashed, not bad really though, body work only. $2300 CAD. Not sure what I am going to do with it, we have a bunch of non-speed 3's around and an old miata... might do a transplant. I know the history of the car too since I have done most of the warranty work on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus, $2300? Worst case you could probably double that easy in parting it out.

I spent most of my day doing maintenance on mine. I fixed the broken tabs on my front bumper since whoever took it off to install the CAI didn't realise that the upper corners of the bumper are held on with bolts instead of clips; those bolts were a pain in the dick to get in properly. Also cleaned the air filter, changed the oil, and changed the plugs.

I had to take both hoses off of the bypass valve to remove the intercooler, though, and I think I messed one of them up. As it was, I put it all back together and drove about a hundred feet in the neighborhood before I remembered I forgot to tighten the clamps on the boost hoses to the IC. Didn't even get into the boost at all, so I went back to the driveway and tightened them up. Went back out and got on it, and as soon as it starts making any appreciable amount of boost, it feels like the computer pulls it all and the car hits a loving brick wall. No lights yet, haven't checked for a code. My money is on me being an rear end and reusing the spring clamps instead of replacing them with worm clamps. I'm going to replace those tomorrow (after I get a 24mm socket so I can replace the transmission fluid) and go from there.