Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My favorite random event is still the guy crying over the corpse of his dead wife, who then pulls out a gun and shoots himself in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TheJoker138 posted:

My favorite random event is still the guy crying over the corpse of his dead wife, who then pulls out a gun and shoots himself in the head.

drat, I ran across this for the first time yesterday, but after he didn't do anything for a few seconds I thought it was bugged and I just ran off...

Unsupervised Horse
Apr 10, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

In my playthrough it was a Chinese guy crying over the corpse of his dead gay cowboy lover before blowing his own brains out. It wasn't quite what I was expecting.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TheJoker138 posted:

Emergent gameplay I just made up: hogtie the suicidal guy and give him a ride to the nearest church or convent and drop him off outside. Another wayward soul delivered unto the lord!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
So is there any honor or anything in preventing him from killing himself? Do you shoot the gun out of his hand? Or is it just something you sit back and watch?

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Scarf posted:

So is there any honor or anything in preventing him from killing himself? Do you shoot the gun out of his hand? Or is it just something you sit back and watch?
You can shoot the gun or poison out of their hand for some honor. Or watch them die with no hit to your honor.

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005

Tux Racer posted:

Is there a place I can find all of the logins for the different meta tags? I added HIGHPLAINSGOONS, but I can't accept my request.

Can anyone explain the process right here? I really want to play with some goons since pubbies always suck.

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:

Scarf posted:

Was skinning a few wolves near some train tracks. Whistled for my horse and he crossed right in front of a train.

He was never very bright...

How does a cougar ride a horse, that's not even fair or rational at all.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Hogarth Hughes posted:

That poor, poor horse.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Slantedfloors posted:

That poor, poor horse.

They're learning, like hairy velociraptors.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

CheshireCat posted:

You can shoot the gun or poison out of their hand for some honor. Or watch them die with no hit to your honor.

Or hogtie them and wait for Scarf a cougar to get them. Or drag them behind a train so their life ends with some kind of comic release.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Slantedfloors posted:

That poor, poor horse.

It's like he's roaring in his ear, urging him on.

'Work ya drat nag, work!'

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

TheJoker138 posted:

I found this the first time, but instead the guy got frustrated, kicked her booted foot and walked off.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Hogarth Hughes posted:

http://cougarlife.com/

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hogarth Hughes posted:

You should see me drive a stagecoach...

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Oh man, for the first time someone actually got a rise out of me in this game. I don't get mad ever playing games online. Griefing and teamkilling never bother me.

I was playing "Grab the Bag" on El Matadero...and this loving guy on my team would just wait somewhere near the base. Anytime someone on our team grabbed the bag, he'd toss dynamite so that when you rode by, the dynamite didn't kill you, but it knocked you off your horse and made you drop the bag.

He'd then grab it himself and run it in to score himself. Fucker did it to me twice, and both times I thought I was far enough away from the dynamite, but it would BARELY get me. The final time it was with like 17 seconds left. Not even enough time for him to deliver the bag himself, just to gently caress me out of one last delivery. He had a hacked level 50 save so he wasn't even getting XP for it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

CheshireCat posted:

I came across a suicidal widower while wandering around on foot. I realized what he was doing and ran up to shove him over, but he ignored my frantic attempts to gently push him to the ground. The man shot himself in the head, then promptly stood up and wandered around as though nothing was wrong. I concluded that he was a zombie and hurled him into the ocean, then blew up his wife's corpse with dynamite in case it was cursed.

All in a day's work!

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I'm late in the game, so I'll post this as a spoiler in case anyone isn't that far. (Skimmed a few pages and didn't see it come up yet.)

I've had an error where the game kinda sorta freezes a little bit when I shoot Williamson after he's tossed out of the stagecoach by the General. I can shoot him, but before I do I can't walk around, and once I have, I can't move or shoot or do anything at all.

The game doesn't fully freeze, because horses still do stuff, and the music still plays.. I think it's meant to cause a cutscene, because pausing it brings up the little start button that cutscenes have in the corner. (I'm on PS3.)]

Has anyone else had this problem? Game is new (as of last week.)

Edit: Adding my own funny glitch. I don't know what happened, but I was attacked by wolves (trying to get the 'kill 6 wolves with knife' master hunter thing), and one got me on the arm. As soon as I tried to shake it off, both wolves attacking me vanished. And one somehow turned into a dead goat a few metres away.

I do so love this game.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 24, 2010

HatSmack
Jan 28, 2009

Sir Spaniard posted:

The game doesn't fully freeze, because horses still do stuff, and the music still plays.. I think it's meant to cause a cutscene, because pausing it brings up the little start button that cutscenes have in the corner. (I'm on PS3.)]

Has anyone else had this problem? Game is new (as of last week.)

This happened to me on both of my playthroughs, and I had to leave the game alone for about 5-10 minutes before it continued for some reason.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I was riding through the forest, and there was a bear. I was feeling mean, so I set it on fire. Then there was another bear, and I ended up being chased by about 4-5 bears. It was terrifying. I blew them all up, and continued my way. One last bear crashed out of the trees and smacked poor John onto the traintracks, where he was creamed seconds later.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

HatSmack posted:

This happened to me on both of my playthroughs, and I had to leave the game alone for about 5-10 minutes before it continued for some reason.

poo poo. :( That means I have to play through that mission a third time. :(

(Which is actually awesome because gently caress i love this game.)

Reading about some of the poo poo you others have done is cracking me up. I totally forgot about being able to drag someone behind you on a horse. And that bear story by henpod is hurting me I'm laughing so hard.

Where are the bears? I only recently found a few boars.

Also, gently caress wolves. I've noticed in some spots they just come over and over and over. I must have killed about 30 or 40 in a row before I got sick of it.

Unsupervised Horse
Apr 10, 2009

Sir Spaniard posted:

Where are the bears? I only recently found a few boars.
You don't find bears. Bears find you.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Unsupervised Horse posted:

You don't find bears. Bears find you.

poo poo. That sounds bad. And I thought cougars were bad. (Back to the game.) :D

My dumb horse just ran into the back of the wagon I was returning, at full speed. And died.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 24, 2010

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Sir Spaniard posted:

poo poo. That sounds bad. And I thought cougars were bad. (Back to the game.) :D

My dumb horse just ran into the back of the wagon I was returning, at full speed. And died.

For all the poo poo cougars get in this thread they're not as bad as bears.

Cougars give a warning growl most of the time so you can immediately run away on your horse. Often, the first thing you'll hear of a bear is his footfalls as he enters your screen from behind you and kills your horse instantly.

Cougars generally come in twos, which is bad. Bears will turn up one after the other after the other. You'll find stories in this thread of people surrounded by bear corpses. I myself have had six all coming at me one after another.

Forget cougars. Bears are the real menace in this game.

(And you find them in Tall Trees, an area in West Elizabeth).

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
I love galloping full speed towards the transport carriage in Blackwater and dismounting a little before reaching it so Marston jumps off his horse, does that little scuffle to slow down and slams directly into the side of the carriage and collapses. I seriously did that over and over for an hour one day.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Remmiz posted:

I love galloping full speed towards the transport carriage in Blackwater and dismounting a little before reaching it so Marston jumps off his horse, does that little scuffle to slow down and slams directly into the side of the carriage and collapses. I seriously did that over and over for an hour one day.
It's the new version of GTAIV's "dive out of a car directly into a fire hydrant" minigame.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Amused Frog posted:

Forget cougars. Bears are the real menace in this game.

My new hobby lately has been going into cougar-infested areas and waiting for them to attack me and, while they're mid-air during their attack/lunge, I Dead-Eye spam them with the auto-shotgun. They absolutely soar across the map afterwards. Some have carried at least 50-75 yards.

Bears? They eat my shotgun shells like they're the appetizer for the man-dinner they're about to turn me into. And if I do happen to get lucky and kill them? Another loving bear slams into me from the side, stunlocks me, and then murders me. Clever girl...

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I usually hear the bears breathing before I hear anything else. There's another sound up in Tall Trees that sounds very similar. Needless to say, I don't spend any more time there than I need to.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

HatSmack posted:

Speaking of these missions, I was totally caught off-guard by Reyes slamming some chick on the table, titties out, seeing full mexican-bush.

Also loving hell I'm bad at dueling :(

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

That Awful Nick posted:

My new hobby lately has been going into cougar-infested areas and waiting for them to attack me and, while they're mid-air during their attack/lunge, I Dead-Eye spam them with the auto-shotgun. They absolutely soar across the map afterwards. Some have carried at least 50-75 yards.

Bears? They eat my shotgun shells like they're the appetizer for the man-dinner they're about to turn me into. And if I do happen to get lucky and kill them? Another loving bear slams into me from the side, stunlocks me, and then murders me. Clever girl...

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention how much punishment bears can take compared to cougars.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Stare-Out posted:

The one where the guys are playing around with dynamite is the best thing. If you leave them to it long enough one of the guys fucks up and they all blow up in a shower of carnage.

The only instance I can come up with where there were two guys at a campsite who opened fire on me was when they were in the middle of robbing and killing two other guys who were there before them.

I was showing my friend the game and we ran across the dynamite thing. I told him, "Okay, back up, let's see what we can do here." While musing on how to make the entire thing explode, it we just saw the entire thing go up in flames and one of the guy's body literally hit my horse.

Later on, we're up in Tall Trees, way the gently caress out there, and get hijacked by a bear while wandering through an abandoned cabin. My friend sprints into cover, edges out, sees the bear and queues up about eight repeater shots on its face. At about the second one, you see the horse in slow-motion run out from the edge of the cabin straight in between John and the bear. Six shots go into the horse. It just dies. Then the bear charges right through its body and kills him.

At that point, he was like, "Okay, I'm buying an XBox."

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Speaking of these missions, I was totally caught off-guard by Reyes slamming some chick on the table, titties out, seeing full mexican-bush.

The best part is that she shouts out "VIVA MEXICO" while he does it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was finishing off the last of those irritating cow herding missions and the bastards made a mad dash for an approaching train. There was a horrendous splash that cost me five of them.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I might be alone in this, but I sort of wish ranching was something I could continue to do at the end of the game.

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:
Really need to add the lasso in for multiplayer. Nothing would be more satisfying than lassoing some cocksucker who rolls in while you are clearing a hideout and kills you. I just want to drag someone across the desert for a few miles until they die of road rash.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Scarf posted:

You should see me drive a stagecoach...

Does the revenge cougar ride shotgun or in the back? I like to think it has a shotgun. :unsmith:

Last night I was pimping in free roam, trying to make Level 40 for a new horse and some new stuff. Some lunatic joins me and starts shooting me from behind. He's not even doing it for the XP, he just wants to take out everybody himself. Which works until he gets gunned down in the town.

Anyway, I get to the end and manage to kill everybody in the house. As the guy looks over the carnage, I tomahawk him twice in the back of the head. He doesn't die, he just staggers on his feet, two hawks in his head, and looks at me.

Then I plant a third in his face. Something about it was just hilarious to me.

This game. This game.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
I got through an entire Co-Op mission with a tomahawk firmly planted in the back of my character's skull.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
Okay, having played out single player pretty exhaustively, I've just started multiplayer.

This is the first game I've ever tried to play online. I'm quickly learning what the rest of you already know – namely, most of these online gamers are dicks.

The first session was pretty good. A guy on a zonkey rode up to my bowler-hatted greenhorn guy. Upon seeing I had the beginner's donkey, he thoughtfully shot it in the head for me and then whistled for a better horse. He let me ride the zonkey around for a while, then I got on the passable horse and we cleared a hideout. This apparently “leveled me up” (I'm learning the jargon now) to the point that I could change my appearance and elect to ride, you know, an actual horse.

The next session didn't go as well.

I chose a fat bandito avatar and set about picking flowers and shooting bunnies. It looked pretty ridiculous to see the fat bandito picking desert sage, plus I was getting shot all the time by “griefers” (jargon).

I figured the code of the West, or a sense of decency, or something, would inhibit other players from shooting me if I picked a different avatar. So I chose one of the two female avatars available to me. If I'm not shooting other players and just picking flowers and poo poo, and I'm a “lady,” you'd think they'd leave me alone... right?

Nope. I get on my horse and I hear some jackass with a headset say “Yeah, get on the horse, bitch!” This was supremely ill-timed because my wife had just walked into the room. “Okay, I'm officially creeped out now.” I quit the game immediately, before I even had a chance to plant a $10 tomahawk in the misogynistic fucker's face.

Now I'm torn. Do I stop playing online? Or do I level up to the point where I have all the weapons, then go riding around as a woman and wait for this to happen again? Then it would be “Get on the horse, b-” followed by buffalo rifle to the head.

I'll probably do the latter. I wish gamers weren't such a perfect cross-section of humanity, though.

So... I'm on PS3. How do I go about playing with some of you nice folks?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Why is blackjack always greyed out for me in Rathskeller Fork? I'm trying to get the Treasure Hunter outfit and I need to make a profit playing there. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

bitey posted:

So... I'm on PS3. How do I go about playing with some of you nice folks?

Hey cowpoke!

You can read over some of the past few pages of this thread to look for PSN IDs, sometimes people will post them and if you add them as a friend and mention you are an RDR goon, they may decide to accept the request and you and form a posse and have a gay old time.

Also, there is this PS3 Goon Database if you want to go through that process of finding other goons with similar games, including RDR.

You are welcome to add me as well, PSN is HappyPantsDance and I'm usually up for co op, free roam, whatever you fancy.

• Locked thread