Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

IHatePancakes posted:

I'm sorry I don't have any creative masterpieces to share with you. I only just downloaded it a few hours before posting and haven't discovered any really great ways of abusing the game/other players, other than the tried and true dick moves that all coop games tend to share.

Then maybe you shouldn't have smugposted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephPolaski
Jan 21, 2009
I was playing counter-strike a few years ago at a fairly large local LAN (around 200 people) on a player hosted server that had some kind of punishment mod installed on it that allowed you to 'punish' a team killer in certain ways if they had tk'ed you. Some options included setting the tker on fire, turning them into a ticking time bomb, making them blind among other things. On the map de_aztec as a lot of people here would understand is that there are double doors separating the terrorists and counter-terrorists from one of the bomb sites.
Distance-wise, these double doors were timed so the terrorists would get there first and because of this, at the start of each round I would throw a frag grenade at my feet taking away around 90% of my health. I would then position myself near the double doors that were usually the target of wildly thrown frag grenades from my teammates, but just far enough away that I wouldn't get killed by enemy grenades. Well the result was always the same: 'random lanner team kills josephpolaski with HE grenade'. I did this around five or six times to the same guy often resulting in me setting him on fire which would also set the rest of our team on fire causing chaos or simply turning him blind which meant he would be running into a corner for 4 minutes cursing aloud before eventually getting killed. Finally he snapped and yelled out "OK WHO THE gently caress IS JOSEPHPOLASKI?" with me and my friend almost pissing ourselves with surpressed laughter watching this obese middle-aged man lose his poo poo. Good times.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
No new stores to contribute, but I still think this is the best thread in gaming. Big ups to the guys who brought up Transfomice (though the goon servers are empty :() and Sumotori Dreams. I played each of them for a little while and giggled like a little schoolboy at each one.

This thread also makes me wish griefing MMOs like Ultima Online and Everquest were still around. Maybe MMOs wouldn't be so incredibly boring like they are now.

I will say that in regards to TTT that people really are that easy to piss off. I played it a few times and every single time I would think someone is suspicious, I would always have the guy I kill whine and at least 2 other people asking why I "RDM'ed".

Uh, because the point is to kill people? God forbid I break the grand commandments of a game based around throwing off other people.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sebbe posted:

This video?
I wouldn't say he was kicking rear end, really.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Man, people sure do get angry when you spam "rear end? rear end! rear end? rear end!" in chat while running around with a power cable in Moonbase Alpha. I lost the screenshot of one guy telling me to "please die", and a couple others telling me to "SHUT THE **** UP". The latter guy pretended it was funny for the first couple minutes, but then ragequit.

This game is hideously boring if you don't try and annoy people.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I think in my first round of Alien Swarm I got sick of my incompetent teammates, so I ran ahead and welded a door behind me while they got owned by a huge horde of bugs.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

BURKE GODDAMNIT OPEN UP!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Charles Martel posted:

Man, people sure do get angry when you spam "rear end? rear end! rear end? rear end!" in chat while running around with a power cable in Moonbase Alpha. I lost the screenshot of one guy telling me to "please die", and a couple others telling me to "SHUT THE **** UP". The latter guy pretended it was funny for the first couple minutes, but then ragequit.

This game is hideously boring if you don't try and annoy people.

during my brief time playing it, I would spam variations on "stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave. My mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm...afraid" while running around with hoses, but I don't think anyone there got it :smith:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

during my brief time playing it, I would spam variations on "stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave. My mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm...afraid" while running around with hoses, but I don't think anyone there got it :smith:

Haha. My last foray in it before I uninstalled it was me pissing off a guy so much he actually kicked me from his precious server for chat spamming.

Have fun with your boring rear end moonbase! All in all, it was a fun diversion for an hour or so.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EVIR Gibson posted:

Yah, trapping wookies in my naboo house balcony was pretty awesome.

If it weren't for the NGE, I'd say the balcony bug was the best grief SW:G ever had.

For some reason it was incredibly satisfying to hang out around cantinas as a Mon Calamari named Hank Gunderson and roleplay an insurance salesman from Des Moines. I'd continually try to order an Old Fashioned, go up to Serious RPers and treat them like old friends, ask how Barb and the kids were, discuss the benefits of long-term life insurance policies, and remind them that "any time you're up in our neck of the woods, the welcome mat is always out!"

Oh, I know the reason it was so satisfying. Rage.

So. Much. RPer. Rage.

Coming from guys playing Twilek whore-dancers whose horribly-written bios were as long as they could be and twice as lovely.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Howard Beale posted:

If it weren't for the NGE, I'd say the balcony bug was the best grief SW:G ever had.

For some reason it was incredibly satisfying to hang out around cantinas as a Mon Calamari named Hank Gunderson and roleplay an insurance salesman from Des Moines. I'd continually try to order an Old Fashioned, go up to Serious RPers and treat them like old friends, ask how Barb and the kids were, discuss the benefits of long-term life insurance policies, and remind them that "any time you're up in our neck of the woods, the welcome mat is always out!"

So. Much. RPer. Rage.

Coming from guys playing Twilek whore-dancers whose horribly-written bios were as long as they could be and twice as lovely.

:lol: I don't know why but I love the griefs that are able to replicate real-life annoyances in someone's fantasy setting.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
This may have cropped up way, way earlier, but Conan's horse griefing almost makes me want to play the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Darth Ronson posted:

This may have cropped up way, way earlier, but Conan's horse griefing almost makes me want to play the game.

It's definitely been posted already, but this video is just so drat hilarious that I don't think anyone will mind.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Darth Ronson posted:

Don't bother, it was "fixed."

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Darth Ronson posted:

Why does he have a chalice above his head sometimes after he kicks a guy off? That's always bugged me whenever I watch that video.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

yaoi prophet posted:

Why does he have a chalice above his head sometimes after he kicks a guy off? That's always bugged me whenever I watch that video.

I would guess it was some sort of achievement/level up indicator. It reminds me of the TF2 trophy/confetti thing that appears over people when they unlock achievements.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I'm pretty sure it's a healing spell, since people can theoretically just attack him since he isn't fighting back. So he gets a high level healer to watch him and make it seem a better idea to just go around.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Zarick posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a healing spell, since people can theoretically just attack him since he isn't fighting back. So he gets a high level healer to watch him and make it seem a better idea to just go around.
I want to believe it's showing progress towards the "Ultimate Griefer" achievement.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Wowbagger2004 posted:

I want to believe it's showing progress towards the "Ultimate Griefer" achievement.

It could be. AoC is pretty much the best game for griefing. I mean, you can even PK your own guildies in world PvP.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Eh it was good but still not UO or Shadowbane.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I've been doing quite a bit of griefing in Madden of all games lately. Here are a few of my favorite things to do.

Occasionally you go up against someone who runs the same pass play over and over again. I like to let them drive down the field, intercept the ball and run out of bounds, then punt the ball back to them on first down and repeat this process until they ragequit.

Once I have a good lead, going for 2 after every touchdown but taking a knee/spiking the ball instead of running a play on a conversion attempt.

Driving down the field and then punting the ball through the uprights once I get into the red zone.

Seeing how long I can keep a play going/how many laterals I can successfully execute in one play.

Running out of bounds/spiking the ball after every run or complete pass to see how long I can make a drive take or how long someone will let me do this until they quit.

Making inappropriate and hilarious substitutions such as a lineman as a QB.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Industrial posted:

I've been doing quite a bit of griefing in Madden of all games lately. Here are a few of my favorite things to do.

Occasionally you go up against someone who runs the same pass play over and over again. I like to let them drive down the field, intercept the ball and run out of bounds, then punt the ball back to them on first down and repeat this process until they ragequit.

Once I have a good lead, going for 2 after every touchdown but taking a knee/spiking the ball instead of running a play on a conversion attempt.

Driving down the field and then punting the ball through the uprights once I get into the red zone.

Seeing how long I can keep a play going/how many laterals I can successfully execute in one play.

Running out of bounds/spiking the ball after every run or complete pass to see how long I can make a drive take or how long someone will let me do this until they quit.

Making inappropriate and hilarious substitutions such as a lineman as a QB.

Does it have some sort of voice chat in it to? If so, That might make buying sports games justifiable.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Howard Beale posted:

So. Much. RPer. Rage.

To describe the wookie-in-the-attic grief it worked like this.

First, get a wookie or some rear end on your balcony.

The naboo house is strange because the balcony could only be accessed by going through the house and back outside. The balcony was not considered a part of the house for all outside/inside differences.

You could prevent people from entering the house but if they were on the balcony entering the house was required to go through the other door. If they banned from using any doors, they were stuck up there.

I have a screenshot of it somewhere.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
There was a video posted much earlier about Heroes of Newerth (or was it League of Legends?) which inspired me to come out with a couple griefing methods in DotA.

For those of you who have never heard of DotA, the map puts two teams of heroes - whose bases are on either side of the map - against each other. The two bases are connected by three "lanes," pathways through which each base sends AI-controlled units to attack the other. It's very fun and, like every other competitive game, has bred its own share of retards who take it way too seriously. Here's a couple griefing methods:

Not playing well in any fashion

Because this isn't the most creative or entertaining way to grief, I write about it first. I am not exaggerating when I say that the game's players take it way too seriously; all it takes for a couple people to flip their poo poo is for one person not to play very well. If you manage to be on a losing team in which no one bitches at each other for the remainder or the match, you might want to buy a lottery ticket today.

Playing really well

If you're good at maneuvering through the enemy's spells, you're a lucky bitch. If you place Observer Wards (which do exactly what the name suggests) at key spots, and run from an attempted ambush, you're a maphacker. Your hero is always a "noob rear end easymode hero."

You're grounded!

One hero in the game, Vengeful Spirit, has an ability that lets her swap positions with another hero, ally or enemy. There are two items in the game which allow you to bypass unclimbable cliffsides, the Force Staff and the Blink Dagger. It's therefore natural that you should lure someone, ally or otherwise near one of the many spots in the game which are surrounded by cliffsides, teleport there, and swap places. The only way out of jail for a character who can't teleport is via a Scroll of Town Portal, which teleports you to a friendly building, the Boots of Travel, a very expensive item, or the -Unstuck command, which takes a full minute to activate. Since you can see the items anyone is carrying, it's not too hard to pick a viable target. Doing this to an ally will cause bitching for the whole game; doing this to an enemy will cause bitching for the whole game too but your team will join in and counter bitch at the enemy team.

"Tossing" the game

Another hero in the game, Tiny, has a unique ability called "Toss." This ability prompts you to select a target, and then grabs a random unit nearby, ally or enemy, hero or not, and tosses it at the target you selected. While this can be used with a teleporting friend to replicate the move above, it's much more interesting in that you can throw a single ally hero into the enemy team, who will quickly proceed to eat him up. Say "sorry I meant to throw a creep" and do it again.

I'm pretty sure you can see where this is going

Chen, another hero, has a spell which deals damage to enemies but, if cast on an ally, will send him all the way back to base after a delay. There is an obscure way to prevent this, but at least 80% of the people I play with (experience league players) don't even know it.

And for some more WoW stuff...

Denied

Way back then when each individual hunter pet had its own stat table for attack, defense, attack speed, etc, there was a certain tiger pet which stood head and shoulders above them all; I think he was a rare spawn black tiger called Humar who only respawned once every day, and his spot always had two or more hunters waiting for him to respawn so that they could tame him. Naturally, every time I was in the area, I would look quickly in his spot and kill him if he was there, but one particular time, I dropped in right as a hunter was trying to tame him. The taming spell has to be maintained for about ten seconds before the pet is tamed, and I quickly killed Humar as he was being tamed. I wish I had gotten a screencap of the ensuing torrent of insults; I told him I was reporting him for harassment and he lost his poo poo even more.

Hey, how's it go-WAAAAAAAA

I think it has been fixed by forcing the summon to happen on stable ground, but before that, a warlock's summon spell would yank a person and place him a certain distance in front of the warlock. Some friends and I would take advantage of this by advertising to run some dungeon, and promptly summoning takers from the edge of a cliff, where they would fall to their deaths and lose durability on their equipment.

Inverse summoning

This wasn't much of a grief, but it was a pretty funny thing to do. When a warlock started his summon spell, a portal appeared on which two more people needed to click for the summon to activate. Mages could create kinda similar-looking portals which transport whoever clicks on it to a major town. Now to understand this, you need to know that, in WoW, everyone would pile onto a summon portal; I assume it's the rush of clicking faster than everyone else. Also that half of a raid was always too lazy to get to the raid door, and that the warlocks would have to summon them. So, the warlock would start an actual summon, the mage would create a portal right on top of it, and suddenly half the raid is back in Orgrimmar, and the raid leader yells at us. Fun times.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

Inverse summoning
A corollary to this was the dual-portal which now has been made obsolete by the LFD mechanism. At the end of a dungeon/raid, the fastest way to get back to your capital city of choice was to ask a mage for a portal. Usually these portals were to Ironforge, Orgrimmar or Shattrath. But if you had two mages, you could make an another portal on top of the existing one and send people to Thunder Bluff or Darnassus, the two capitals in the far ends of Azeroth.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

hirvox posted:

A corollary to this was the dual-portal which now has been made obsolete by the LFD mechanism. At the end of a dungeon/raid, the fastest way to get back to your capital city of choice was to ask a mage for a portal. Usually these portals were to Ironforge, Orgrimmar or Shattrath. But if you had two mages, you could make an another portal on top of the existing one and send people to Thunder Bluff or Darnassus, the two capitals in the far ends of Azeroth.

Only 2? Our mages always used to go for the quad-portal in raids, and of course the most useless portal would always come out first :(

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

RabidWeasel posted:

Only 2? Our mages always used to go for the quad-portal in raids, and of course the most useless portal would always come out first :(

Hell yeah sometimes you just gotta play a game of portal roulette, good luck! *ends up in Darnassus, swearing loudly the whole time*

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

There is a great DOTA screenshot of a guy buying couriers (Little animals that fetch items for you) and making a wall of them to trap a teammate inside the base and you can see that chat window and the guy is saying "dude move your dogs".
As if somehow you could buy like 15 little dogs and they were magically all in a row and just happened to trap you in, I love just how oblivious the guy is

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Death Bot posted:

Hell yeah sometimes you just gotta play a game of portal roulette, good luck! *ends up in Darnassus, swearing loudly the whole time*

And for those that dont play, it honestly is roulette. The mouse tooltip while you hover over it changes wildly to all the different locations. Its pretty easy to travel nowadays though. Several years ago hearthstones, that players use to teleport back to their home location, had twice as long of a cooldown and there were no 'hub' citys with portals, so unsuspectingly sending someone to the unpopulated asscrack of the world like Darnassus could blow 20 or 30 min of their time to get anywhere.

This was also when mages could put down a portal like that in a battleground and people would click it like idiots and get dumped out there and have to travel back to the main town to queue up for PvP again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Darnassus was simply terribly designed in that respect. It should have a portal to somewhere near Ironforge or Stormwind. Horde have it so much easier with their airships.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

Darnassus was simply terribly designed in that respect. It should have a portal to somewhere near Ironforge or Stormwind. Horde have it so much easier with their airships.

To be fair, the only way you could be sent to Darnassus is if you chose to be Alliance, in which case you deserved to be griefed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I believe the gnome subway was originally intended to go there. But apart from a memory of a blue post back during closed beta on their forums talking about a possible tunnel to Darnassus to solve the travel problem I don't have any evidence to support it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Speaking of Darnassus...

For anyone lucky enough to have never played World of Warcraft, Darnassus is the capital city for the night elves. It is on an island in the middle of nowhere, badly designed, hard to get to, and always nearly completely empty. Before the latest expansions added city portals, it would take a player somewhere between 10-25 minutes to travel to Darnassus from the capital cities with actual populations. In short, it was a pain in the rear end to go there if you needed to.

A friend of mine announced in trade chat that he was selling a very expensive item for dirt cheap because he was "quitting the game." Three people immediately jumped at the deal. He told each of them that he had the item on another character that is in Darnassus, and they should meet him at a certain place there and just open a trade window with him. But he told each person that the name of his character was one of the other three people who whispered him. Thirty minutes or so later, everyone was standing around Darnassus, demanding the item from each other.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

There was a video posted much earlier about Heroes of Newerth (or was it League of Legends?) which inspired me to come out with a couple griefing methods in DotA.
DotA is unique in that no matter what you do, someone will yell at you.

Back when I used to play there was this one hero, Shadow Shaman or something that could summon individual serpent wards. They were stationary creatures with a small amount of health and damage. With the combined duration of the ward and the cooldown of the spell you could keep allies locked in the spawning point. Pretty sure they replaced the skill by now.

Karandras posted:

There is a great DOTA screenshot of a guy buying couriers (Little animals that fetch items for you) and making a wall of them to trap a teammate inside the base and you can see that chat window and the guy is saying "dude move your dogs".
As if somehow you could buy like 15 little dogs and they were magically all in a row and just happened to trap you in, I love just how oblivious the guy is
Sadly, this doesn't work anymore. They reworked the model so that it takes up just one pixel of space.

edit: just remembered my favorite thing in DotA! You were able to upgrade your couriers into flying couriers. Not only could they go over any terrain, they also had a spell for going faster and one that made them invulnerable for a few seconds. Most players in DotA buy items while they are nowhere near their base. Because they aren't close enough, the items are put on their spawning circle. I'm sure you can see where this is headed. It's always great to take someone's item they've farmed up for half the game, then fly the courier right in their face while they futilely try to kill it. THOSE ARE MY MYSTICAL ORBS. Give them back, you are a bird. You don't even have mana.

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 29, 2010

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

FuzzyPickles posted:

And for those that dont play, it honestly is roulette. The mouse tooltip while you hover over it changes wildly to all the different locations.

Yeah, unless I'm mistaken, the portals sorta shimmered back and forth, so their size wouldn't be completely constant.

The worst submarine posted:

DotA is unique in that no matter what you do, someone will yell at you.

Truth.

The worst submarine posted:

Back when I used to play there was this one hero, Shadow Shaman or something that could summon individual serpent wards. They were stationary creatures with a small amount of health and damage. With the combined duration of the ward and the cooldown of the spell you could keep allies locked in the spawning point. Pretty sure they replaced the skill by now.

Sadly, this doesn't work anymore. They reworked the model so that it takes up just one pixel of space.

Though you can't keep them locked in the spawn, if you manage to target the spell on a single target's location, the wards will surround the target and render them immobile. This makes Eul's Scepter (which has a movement bonus and a castable cyclone [enemy is in the air for ~2 seconds]) quite popular, as you can just Cyclone and then Ward so they're stuck when they come back down.

Karandras posted:

I used to just sell all of my items and buy Ironwood Branches at like 40g a pop, so a few hundred of them. When you buy items away from base, they pile around your magic circle. It's funny watching teammates complain as they can't find their items among the mass of items that you bought.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

FuzzyPickles posted:

And for those that dont play, it honestly is roulette. The mouse tooltip while you hover over it changes wildly to all the different locations. Its pretty easy to travel nowadays though. Several years ago hearthstones, that players use to teleport back to their home location, had twice as long of a cooldown and there were no 'hub' citys with portals, so unsuspectingly sending someone to the unpopulated asscrack of the world like Darnassus could blow 20 or 30 min of their time to get anywhere.

This was also when mages could put down a portal like that in a battleground and people would click it like idiots and get dumped out there and have to travel back to the main town to queue up for PvP again.

Not really roulette. Each portal has its own unique animation (not just the middle) so with enough practice you can hover around the corners and slowly pick one out.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Death Bot posted:

Though you can't keep them locked in the spawn, if you manage to target the spell on a single target's location, the wards will surround the target and render them immobile. This makes Eul's Scepter (which has a movement bonus and a castable cyclone [enemy is in the air for ~2 seconds]) quite popular, as you can just Cyclone and then Ward so they're stuck when they come back down.

They must have removed it at some point then, I remember someone had the ability to place a serpent ward once about every 10-12 seconds. Maybe I'm just crazy.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

FoF posted:

Not really roulette. Each portal has its own unique animation (not just the middle) so with enough practice you can hover around the corners and slowly pick one out.

Yeah, but for the random guy that runs up and clicks the big blue thing, its random as hell.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 29, 2010

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Karandras posted:

I remember seeing a video on Youtube of dota. The video was about some hero who could pick up things and throw them.

Someone used that hero and chucked his allies into the corner edge of their map where they couldn't do anything.

Edit:Beware the loud music by the way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmTz1qpYpJA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

FuzzyPickles posted:

I remember once seeing a YouTube video of a pink-haired Gnome Mage doing this, to the tune of something like "She's a magical girl." Does anyone remember this and have a link to it? I can't find it while searching.

• Locked thread