Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bitey posted:

Okay, having played out single player pretty exhaustively, I've just started multiplayer.

This is the first game I've ever tried to play online. I'm quickly learning what the rest of you already know – namely, most of these online gamers are dicks.

The first session was pretty good. A guy on a zonkey rode up to my bowler-hatted greenhorn guy. Upon seeing I had the beginner's donkey, he thoughtfully shot it in the head for me and then whistled for a better horse. He let me ride the zonkey around for a while, then I got on the passable horse and we cleared a hideout. This apparently “leveled me up” (I'm learning the jargon now) to the point that I could change my appearance and elect to ride, you know, an actual horse.

The next session didn't go as well.

I chose a fat bandito avatar and set about picking flowers and shooting bunnies. It looked pretty ridiculous to see the fat bandito picking desert sage, plus I was getting shot all the time by “griefers” (jargon).

I figured the code of the West, or a sense of decency, or something, would inhibit other players from shooting me if I picked a different avatar. So I chose one of the two female avatars available to me. If I'm not shooting other players and just picking flowers and poo poo, and I'm a “lady,” you'd think they'd leave me alone... right?

Nope. I get on my horse and I hear some jackass with a headset say “Yeah, get on the horse, bitch!” This was supremely ill-timed because my wife had just walked into the room. “Okay, I'm officially creeped out now.” I quit the game immediately, before I even had a chance to plant a $10 tomahawk in the misogynistic fucker's face.

Now I'm torn. Do I stop playing online? Or do I level up to the point where I have all the weapons, then go riding around as a woman and wait for this to happen again? Then it would be “Get on the horse, b-” followed by buffalo rifle to the head.

I'll probably do the latter. I wish gamers weren't such a perfect cross-section of humanity, though.

So... I'm on PS3. How do I go about playing with some of you nice folks?

Your story is bullshit, no one on PS3 has a headset :colbert: Here's my real solution if you can do it on PS3 though (I've never taken the time to look): mute everyone's headsets so you can't hear anyone unless you specifically want to. Works for me on Xbox. Never have to hear 12 year olds calling me a friend of the family unless I drat well choose to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I've platinumed the game, and I'm on Legendary 3, yet I still find new poo poo all the time.

Try shooting out the bulb on one of those hanging dish lamps in Thieve's Landing, especially at night.

Also, the most helpful thing is you can take cover next to a window, and then with R2/Fire he will elbow the window to break it so you can then shoot out.

Best game ever.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Reached the end section of the game, and wow. Loving it. RDR is so much better than GTA. The open world feels so much more right in this.

End game spoilers: I'm with the family now, and while things are looking up, I get the sense that something rather tragic is coming. :( And I like these guys. The way they've told the backstory more fully at the end of the game, through actually meeting the characters that are central to John's reason to actually be in the situation at the beginning of the game, makes it even more interesting. Loving the sarcastic banter between John and ...Abigail? I think that's his wife's name, anyway. And hunting with Jack is just pure fun. Especially watching him having to do the 'skin animal' cutscene.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 25, 2010

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

bitey posted:

Now I'm torn. Do I stop playing online? Or do I level up to the point where I have all the weapons, then go riding around as a woman and wait for this to happen again? Then it would be “Get on the horse, b-” followed by buffalo rifle to the head.

Play a few competitive matches, the random free roam dick will be a walk in the park.

bruno jarbridge
Jan 10, 2005

Sco Dylan posted:

I've platinumed the game, and I'm on Legendary 3, yet I still find new poo poo all the time.

Try shooting out the bulb on one of those hanging dish lamps in Thieve's Landing, especially at night.

Also, the most helpful thing is you can take cover next to a window, and then with R2/Fire he will elbow the window to break it so you can then shoot out.

Best game ever.

What's the best thing to grind out exp in multiplayer? I don't plan on passing into legendary I just want that drat Buffalo Rifle.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

bruno jarbridge posted:

What's the best thing to grind out exp in multiplayer? I don't plan on passing into legendary I just want that drat Buffalo Rifle.

Replaying the hideouts. Pike's Basin, Tumbleweed, and Gaptooth Ridge give out XP in the thousands.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

How do you make a posse/meet up in the multiplayer? I'm almost totally done with the story ( :( ) and want to try it out. I played last night a bit but it was just me in there on my own.

Also, how does one change their multi-character's appearance?

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

Amused Frog posted:

For all the poo poo cougars get in this thread they're not as bad as bears.

Cougars give a warning growl most of the time so you can immediately run away on your horse. Often, the first thing you'll hear of a bear is his footfalls as he enters your screen from behind you and kills your horse instantly.

Cougars generally come in twos, which is bad. Bears will turn up one after the other after the other. You'll find stories in this thread of people surrounded by bear corpses. I myself have had six all coming at me one after another.

Forget cougars. Bears are the real menace in this game.

(And you find them in Tall Trees, an area in West Elizabeth).

What makes cougars worse than bears is that they seem to be just about everywhere in the game. You could be minding your own business on the outskirts of Armadillo, or out in Mexico and still get a face full of cougar. The first time I ran into one I was doing that horse race at the very beginning of the game at McFarlane's Ranch, strayed off the trail then the next thing I know a cougar's rushing from out of a bush to welcome me to the wonderful world of Red Dead Cougar Country. At least with Bears they're confined to Tall Trees; you know where the fuzzy murder-tanks live and if you don't want any trouble you can just steer clear. Cougars on the other hand are hiding in the armoire of the property you just purchased for all you loving know.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Premeditated Toast posted:

cougar suckage

I was doing a cattle herding mission last night, which lead over some train tracks. They ran into a train as it was charging past. :( I lost 8 of the stupid things. And then, once they were out where they needed to be? A cougar attacked me and my horse died. Bears may be instant kill machines, but cougars are total pricks.

Edit: I finished the game... I think. Am I supposed to go somewhere/do something with Jack? (I thought at first he was John's ghost) Or does it just become a 'free roam' after that?

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 26, 2010

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sir Spaniard posted:

I was doing a cattle herding mission last night, which lead over some train tracks. They ran into a train as it was charging past. :( I lost 8 of the stupid things. And then, once they were out where they needed to be? A cougar attacked me and my horse died. Bears may be instant kill machines, but cougars are total pricks.

Edit: I finished the game... I think. Am I supposed to go somewhere/do something with Jack? (I thought at first he was John's ghost) Or does it just become a 'free roam' after that?

Go to Blackwater.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Wait there's actually content after that one point? I thought it was just another stranger mission.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Methodis posted:

Wait there's actually content after that one point? I thought it was just another stranger mission.

IF you havent seen the end credits there is.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Methodis posted:

It's both. You have to kill the head cop as revenge in a duel. It's bloody hard.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
Thanks, you are all excellent advisors. I think I’ve solved my dilemma.

I found the headset from my old PS2 I used for “Manhunt” (don’t ask). It’s USB and works just fine on the PS3.

In free roam I’m pretty sure I hear everybody else with sound attached. Most of them seem to be using room mics. I assume they can hear me too, but the mic I’m using is right next to my mouth.

I rode up to a group just chatting it up. I kept quiet until one guy shot me.

I said “Hey, why’d you do that? I’m just riding through here. Mind if I go by?”

They all went silent. Crickets.

I greeted the players individually. “How you doin? Are you enjoying the weather?” I heard some mumbled responses. I then reiterated my intent to pass through peacefully, wished them all well, and headed down the trail.

I heard a woman say “Whoa, that was weird.”

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bitey posted:

I found the headset from my old PS2 I used for “Manhunt” (don’t ask). It’s USB and works just fine on the PS3.

Just want to say that, I'm fairly sure, in a thread about a Rockstar game you don't have to hide the fact that you bought Manhunt. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
For all the hate that bears get, I actually had one help me on a bounty one time.

I was after some jerk in Tall Trees, and naturally John, in his infinite god damned wisdom waits until I sneak up to the first guy and yells out "COME ON OUT YA SON OF A BITCH". 18 people open fire on me.

Well, not everyone was a good shot apparently, and next thing I know I am hiding behind a big loving rock, and a bear runs PAST me, and beats the poo poo out of everyone in that little group, and as the survivors all run away, goes after ANOTHER group of em near a rock.

All I had to do was walk up and get the proof of the bounty, hop on my horse and ride boldly ride.

I tipped my hat to the bear and slapped leather. No way in hell was I gonna hang around while he eats everyone and decides that my horse needs to be dessert.

The weirdest damned NPC encounter I had was WAAAAYYYYY up in the top corner of the map. I was just riding around, and came across 2 guys beating the poo poo out of each other in the woods near a stream. I was probably a good 20 min horse ride from any sort of town, and these guys are just whaling on each other like crazy.

One gets knocked down, the other kicks him and starts to walk off, and the bastard GETS UP and pushes him into the river. Kills him dead as a hammer and just starts walking back to the top section of the map like there was something there.

Well, there was, and it was a cougar. He didn't make it, but I still tipped my hat to him as he was running away cause, hell, he saved me from a cougar ambush. Even if he is a cold blooded murderer that was a nice thing to do :3:

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Does anyone know how to roll in quick succession in multiplayer? When I roll it's about one roll every 2 seconds, if not longer. There was a guy in a gang match that was rolling 2-3 times in a row. I'm hoping there is a legit way and he wasn't using a glitch or something.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Man, I'm starting to get back into multiplayer and it's great, but the Wild West is a lonely, lonely place. I have a hard time enough time finding anyone who uses their headset at all, much less anyone who feels like talking rather than just shooting me in the face.

Christ, even when I find someone who wants to cooperate for a higher goal, and can clearly hear me, they say nothing. Is there a setting I'm missing or something?

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Trying my hand at multiplayer too. I'm being shot at as I type this. I can hear it.
:(

How do I save in multiplayer?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Spaniard posted:

Trying my hand at multiplayer too. I'm being shot at as I type this. I can hear it.
:(

How do I save in multiplayer?

Everything you do in multiplayer is automatically saved.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, I just figured that out when I cleared out one of the gang hideouts. Jumped 3 levels because of it :D

Anyone want to play sometime? (Speaking of, how do I find other players easily?)

Edit:Oh, I should have said in this post... I'm on PS3. Username: spaniardthe12th
vvvv

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 26, 2010

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Spaniard posted:

Yeah, I just figured that out when I cleared out one of the gang hideouts. Jumped 3 levels because of it :D

Anyone want to play sometime? (Speaking of, how do I find other players easily?)

If you're playing in public free roam, it's really hit and miss for finding other people that you would even want to play with. There's matchmaking for the other game modes, so that's not a problem though, as you don't really have to talk to or cooperate with those people past simple objectives.

If you're on 360 I believe there's a Goon metatag for this game still...HighPlainsGoons, was it? Also if you're on 360 I'd be down to play sometime after this weekend, as I'm not going to have my internet hooked up in my new place till then (leeching of a neighbors unsecured wireless right now, which isn't fast enough for games).

Heezy
Apr 1, 2008
I'm getting sick of playing with retarded randoms in free roam that shoot on sight. I wan't play with the goons! I still got some trophies I'd like to get from both dlc's. If anyones interested in messing around and also has a mic add me :). My PSN id is JuicyJ90.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

bitey posted:

Whatever, I liked Manhunt. Weren't you supposed to be able to whisper into the headset or something, and then the guys would be like "oh what was that? Better check it out and then turn my back on the shadowy spot" so that you could break their neck with the help of a plastic bag?

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Whatever, I liked Manhunt. Weren't you supposed to be able to whisper into the headset or something, and then the guys would be like "oh what was that? Better check it out and then turn my back on the shadowy spot" so that you could break their neck with the help of a plastic bag?

Yeah, that's it all right. And I love Manhunt, especially since the think-of-the-children people hate it so much.

I was only embarrassed to admit that I purchased the headset for that particular game... and you can't even play Manhunt online. I got it because I didn't want to hear the narrator's voice all the time. With the headphone, the voice is isolated and doesn't come through the speakers.

Actually wearing the headset didn't help Manhunt much. I'd sneeze or something and then watch my guy get beat to death by six thugs with baseball bats.

I'll start adding y'all when I figure out how to do it. Don't know when I'll be playing RDR next.

edit: My PSN handle is fandrewsorama. Add me!

bitey fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 27, 2010

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
If it wasn't already known that i'm a nerd, from now on it will be. But I ordered some of those Red Dead Redemption playing cards and dice from the Rockstar store about 2 weeks after I started playing. They ended up running out of stock and had to cancel my order. Turns out that they didn't cancel my order and instead randomly bill me and send me my order 3 months later. Pissed me off because it came out of nowhere and I didn't really want the items anymore.

I ended up keeping the cards and a set of dice because it turns out that they are pretty awesome. But I sent the rest back and they still aren't reimbursing me for the money. Just wondering if it happened to anyone else, because I imagine a lot of orders were canceled.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I heard this game had some issues on PS3 while I was shopping for it, but this is just ridiculous. I can't play more than ten minutes before a hard freeze (with music in the back) hits me. It sucks because I feel like I'd really like the game IF I COULD loving PLAY IT.

Was a fix for this ever released?

Edit: It seems to freeze specifically when trying to load Hennigan's Stead, but it was also freezing before. Anyone heard of this happening before?

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 27, 2010

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

As posted earlier I had one sort of freeze late in the game, but it sorted out. I think my PS3 was too hot.

They must have fixed it, because aside from the once, I've not had issues. I bought the game a week ago.

Multiplayer is fun when you're actually playing with someone else and not being killed by douchebags. At least I managed to kill him back once. :D

And whoever it was I was playing with (Had a bomb avatar), I got that Co-op pack now.

Is the 'Legends and Killers' pack worth the cost?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Sir Spaniard posted:

Multiplayer is fun when you're actually playing with someone else and not being killed by douchebags. At least I managed to kill him back once. :D

And whoever it was I was playing with (Had a bomb avatar), I got that Co-op pack now.

Is the 'Legends and Killers' pack worth the cost?
That was me. Legends and Killers adds a tomahawk and I think some skins and free for all stuff? Nothing that interested me enough to spend $10 on it. I'd have paid $10 just for the co-op pack, but fortunately that's free.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Oh, and I found a spare usb headset :D

Enemies that spawn in a large rock suck. :( He could shoot me but because he was a rock, I had no chance.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 27, 2010

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
http://www.showbizspy.com/article/211335/brad-pitt-to-star-in-red-dead-redemption-movie.html

No chance in hell this would ever happen, but it's an interesting thought.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

http://www.showbizspy.com/article/211335/brad-pitt-to-star-in-red-dead-redemption-movie.html

No chance in hell this would ever happen, but it's an interesting thought.

Tom Jane would be better :colbert:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Marsden is an ugly son of a bitch and Jane and Pitt are too handsome.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

If there ever is a movie, it won't be the same. No movie could match the epic feel of RDR. (Though it did make me want to go and watch a bunch of classic and spaghetti westerns.)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I think the most important question is: Who would play Herbert Moooooooooooon?

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Scarf posted:

I think the most important question is: Who would play Herbert Moooooooooooon?

Morgan Freeman

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sir Spaniard posted:

Morgan Freeman

Wrong, Woody Allen.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mel Gibson.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Mel Gibson.

Oh yes. This.

Alternate reply - A cougar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Stare-Out posted:

Mel Gibson.

Touche.

Cheech Marin as Allende
Antonio Banderas as De Santa
Ricky Martin as De Santa's man-servant...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 27, 2010

• Locked thread