Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

A.o.D. posted:

That's a far cry from the quoted 305hp. How the hell do they get away with that?

Wheel horsepower versus crank horsepower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A.o.D. posted:

That's a far cry from the quoted 305hp. How the hell do they get away with that?

That's a 20% loss through the drivetrain, sounds about right for a RWD car to me.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Hey again, guys.

I heard the silliest thing the other day: that the engine bay of 5th gens are roomy enough to easily accommodate the girth of 427 (and larger) Ford big blocks. Any truth to this? I can't seem to find much beyond the Roush 427R and indecipherable, poorly-written message board posts on other forums :(

Isn't the 427R named because it makes 427 horsepower from a blown modular V8 (guessing 4.6 liter), not because it's a 427 big block?

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

mod sassinator posted:

Isn't the 427R named because it makes 427 horsepower from a blown modular V8 (guessing 4.6 liter), not because it's a 427 big block?

That's pretty much it - http://www.roushperformance.com/performance_vehicles/ford/mustang/2010/427r.shtml

You can read the page if you want, but basically they took the stock 4.6L and modified it to have 430HP and 400lb-ft of torque, where they got 427 out of that :iiam:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That's a 20% loss through the drivetrain, sounds about right for a RWD car to me.

It's still crazy that a V6 Mustang with 305 horsepower costs as much as a well optioned civic and gets comparable gas millage. There's absolutely no compromises with that car, well... except for the useless back seat.

Honestly, the way Ford has been rolling these last 2 or 3 years, I don't understand how they're not doing better. Let's hope the quality issues are gone and these motors hold up. For the first time in many years I don't feel like I'm lying to myself when I think that Americans might finally be making good cars again.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

mod sassinator posted:

Yes, I know the 427R is just a boosted 4.6L; it was just one of the more common things to turn up in a search along with terrible posts on tuning forums. I still had heard that a 427 swap was very easily doable (not that I was planning on anything), and that it just fit right in there. Again any truth to this?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Hey again, guys.

I heard the silliest thing the other day: that the engine bay of 5th gens are roomy enough to easily accommodate the girth of 427 (and larger) Ford big blocks. Any truth to this? I can't seem to find much beyond the Roush 427R and indecipherable, poorly-written message board posts on other forums :(

Jon Kaase proved that pretty definitively.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

kronix posted:

It's still crazy that a V6 Mustang with 305 horsepower costs as much as a well optioned civic and gets comparable gas millage. There's absolutely no compromises with that car, well... except for the useless back seat.

Honestly, the way Ford has been rolling these last 2 or 3 years, I don't understand how they're not doing better. Let's hope the quality issues are gone and these motors hold up. For the first time in many years I don't feel like I'm lying to myself when I think that Americans might finally be making good cars again.

You have to take the mileage advertised from Ford with a ton of salt. For example, my 11 GT is averaging 16.8 mpg, not the 26 they advertise. It probably gets 26 mpg on they hwy at 45 mph behind a large semi truck. As long as you don't excect these mileage figures IRL you will be happy with the car.

Also, the initial quality of the car is very impressive. This is the first American vehicle that I have purchased in 10 years, and it rivals the Toyotas and Hondas of my past. Ford has their crap together and it is showing in their vehicles. Consider me converted.

Charlie
Aug 25, 2004

It passed through unharmed!

Radiohead71 posted:

You have to take the mileage advertised from Ford with a ton of salt. For example, my 11 GT is averaging 16.8 mpg, not the 26 they advertise. It probably gets 26 mpg on they hwy at 45 mph behind a large semi truck. As long as you don't excect these mileage figures IRL you will be happy with the car.

Also, the initial quality of the car is very impressive. This is the first American vehicle that I have purchased in 10 years, and it rivals the Toyotas and Hondas of my past. Ford has their crap together and it is showing in their vehicles. Consider me converted.

Mileage is largely dependent on the way you drive the car. My 07 pony averages about 2 mpg more than advertised (18/27 compared to advertised 16/24) if I'm not trying to have fun.

That said, if I had an 11 GT, I would probably not be driving with fuel economy in mind.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Radiohead71 posted:

My heavily modified '89 5.0 still gets around 22mpg on the highway (better than my 940 turbo) which is what it's supposed to get. Every sports car is going to get wild mileage figures since they can be driven so differently depending on your mood.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

:flashfap: gently caress, I guess I'm a Ford guy. Thanks again, Phil!

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

My heavily modified '89 5.0 still gets around 22mpg on the highway (better than my 940 turbo) which is what it's supposed to get. Every sports car is going to get wild mileage figures since they can be driven so differently depending on your mood.

I was discussing how an exhaust usually leads to a decrease in MPG, especially when it sounds good in the upper RPM ranges under full throttle.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Muffinpox posted:

I was discussing how an exhaust usually leads to a decrease in MPG, especially when it sounds good in the upper RPM ranges under full throttle.

This happened to my 85 GT when I upgraded to true duals that flowed a lot more air. I think the correlation is bigger tubes=less mpg.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

edit: need to read the thread first.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Pipkin posted:

This happened to my 85 GT when I upgraded to true duals that flowed a lot more air. I think the correlation is bigger tubes=less mpg.

I think Muffinpox was actually saying that if your exhaust sounds good you're going to be gunning it everywhere just to listen to the exhaust... hence less mpg

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander

Radiohead71 posted:

in my 4.6l 3v manual I get anywhere from 25-27mpg on the freeway and 15-21mpg in the city depending on how I'm driving the car.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hog Obituary posted:

I think Muffinpox was actually saying that if your exhaust sounds good you're going to be gunning it everywhere just to listen to the exhaust... hence less mpg

Yea dude, I got that part. I may be a terrible poster but I'm not that dense.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Question for anyone with a New Edge, I'm sure phil will chime in fastest tho. I need to change the plugs on my New Edge GT. I should use motorcraft plugs correct? Theres no FI at the moment or anything that I think would require a colder plug.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KickStand posted:

Question for anyone with a New Edge, I'm sure phil will chime in fastest tho. I need to change the plugs on my New Edge GT. I should use motorcraft plugs correct? Theres no FI at the moment or anything that I think would require a colder plug.

This is what Nick McKinney of Modular Head Shop recommends:

MHS posted:

I get asked this all the time and after seeing so many heads with plugs in them arrive at the shop and knowing what the combo was here are my recommendations:

If you drive a taxi cab or are idling in traffic for hours and hours and hours then the stock plugs are perfect.

Since 99% of you reading this don't do the above I use one heat range colder in a stock engine even, and that is the Autolite 103, NGK TR6, or the Autolite AR93 which is the racing version of the 103 (cut back larger ground electrode). These plugs will work for stock to street/strip NA motors and mild blower motors. Under boost you may need to lower the gap down, but otherwise I would leave the gap as is. Most people damage the plugs playing with the gap so much and unless you are getting spark blow out under boost I have never seen a different gap make more power on these motors.

Radical NA, heavy nitrous (150 shot or larger) I would run the next colder plug which is an Autolite AR92. This is different from the NGK BR7EF in that it is colder but also keeps the electrode protruding into the chamber. If you overheat the AR92 then at that point I would go to the NGK BR7EF plug.

You want to run the coldest plug possible that does not foul, and with the high energy ignition capability of the stock system combined with the closed loop fueling it will take quite a bit to foul colder plugs. Start colder, and then go hotter if you have a radical combo.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Thanks Phil!

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
I've been doing some research about New Edge GT's and I've found out that they randomly stall-out for no apparent reason (according to carsurvey.org posters). Is this a non-issue for most NEGT owners? If it is an issue, is there actually a cause for it and how easy is it to correct?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I've been doing some research about New Edge GT's and I've found out that they randomly stall-out for no apparent reason (according to carsurvey.org posters). Is this a non-issue for most NEGT owners? If it is an issue, is there actually a cause for it and how easy is it to correct?

I've never heard of this before. What, exactly, are they talking about?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well, poo poo. I just put a deposit down on a 2011 GT500 with the SVT Performance Pack, Navigation, and the glass roof, in Sterling Silver with red skinny stripes. Now the waiting game before I go pick it up (hopefully next week).

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

frozenphil posted:

I've never heard of this before. What, exactly, are they talking about?

carsurvey.org poster posted:

It stalls out every once and a while for no apparent reason. Your just driving along and the motor turns off. It starts up again instantly. The dealer was never able to figure out what was wrong with it.

That. I've read a few posts on CS about this "problem," if it even is one.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

That. I've read a few posts on CS about this "problem," if it even is one.

I've never heard of that before. The closest thing I can think of is the alternator issue that throws a code for the cam shaft position sensor. If you get a stumble while driving and an error code PO340 you should replace the alternator, not the sensor.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Well, poo poo. I just put a deposit down on a 2011 GT500 with the SVT Performance Pack, Navigation, and the glass roof, in Sterling Silver with red skinny stripes. Now the waiting game before I go pick it up (hopefully next week).

:holymoley:

How much was that thing? Like 80k+?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

washow posted:

:holymoley:

How much was that thing? Like 80k+?

Significantly less. I got it for $59k with tax, tags, and a Shelby car over.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
You are my hero, godspeed.

We all demand videos by the way.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That's awesome. I can't wait to see the pictures ;)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Here's a picture of it in the showroom, with my son foaming at the mouth to get in. More and better pictures to arrive when I take delivery.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're raising that boy right.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

frozenphil posted:

I've never heard of that before. The closest thing I can think of is the alternator issue that throws a code for the cam shaft position sensor. If you get a stumble while driving and an error code PO340 you should replace the alternator, not the sensor.

Awesome - thanks again, Phil!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

You are my hero, godspeed.

We all demand videos by the way.

Preferably burnouts and highway pulls :fap:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're raising that boy right.

That boy has such an obsession with motorized things...he has a go-kart, a dirt bike, and we have 4 cars which he obsesses over.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Preferably burnouts and highway pulls

Gotta wait till after 500 miles for anything silly.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Adopt me? I'm already 23 so you don't have to raise me.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Here's a picture of it in the showroom, with my son foaming at the mouth to get in. More and better pictures to arrive when I take delivery.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Snap, that is a nice car!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Agree with everything but not sure about the glass roof. What was the thought process exactly? "lets add weight and make the car brutally hot"

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Omegaslast posted:

Agree with everything but not sure about the glass roof. What was the thought process exactly? "lets add weight and make the car brutally hot"

Funny thing is, the glass roof actually blocks 96% of UV rays and 90% of IR rays, according to Ford, plus there's a sunshade. I got the glass roof one because it's the color I wanted and for the same price as one at another dealer without the glass roof in a color combo I liked less, so basically they knocked $2k off the sticker price to match the other car's price.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Dealers are making killer deals on GT500s now that the supercharger info for the GT has been released and everyone sees the potential there.

I'm deeply jealous and would love a GT500, regardless of the cost:performance ratio difference between it and a regular GT. Now throw on the Hellion twin turbo kit and make 1100rwhp. You can do rolling burnouts at 100mph!

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
More pics of my baby! Washed, Claybar'ed, and Waxed.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

More pics of my baby! Washed, Claybar'ed, and Waxed.

You take that thing down the Rubicon yet?

:laugh:

I kid.