Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I have somewhat of a specific tactic question.

I play in a outdoors, 11 a side, co-ed league during the week. The only non-standard rule is no slide tackling, but play is still a bit rough. My team plays a 4-3-3, and we're really bad. I've been playing sweeper pretty much exclusively since nobody else wants to play defense (thus I get a lot of play time). And while I'm decent enough in one-on-one and break-away situations, I have trouble figuring out what to do in two-on-one situations. Generally it happens because we have our weakest girls defending on the outside, so if they get beat by a wing it becomes wing+striker vs sweeper.

I'm pretty sure the proper play is for me (sweeper) to step up and attack the wing, and have a 2nd defender move into position behind me near the striker. But what if that doesn't happen? Should I just attack and hope for the best? Or should I try and posistion myself as best as possible to make a play on the pass...without giving up an easy shot (probably impossible). I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas.

Any other sweeper-related tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Voodoo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

There's really no correct answer, it depends on the situation. I'd say it's a good idea to leave the weakest attacker the most freedom.

Against good players you will always lose a 2v1 though, so you should try beating some sense into your team instead.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10

Has anyone worn boots made of beetle wing before?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Voodoo posted:

Just hope that the guy pulls a Pedro and forgets to pass.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

In an 11 a side match there really shouldn't be a 2-on-1 situation. Tell your team they need to loving defend whether they want to or not.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
This is more a question for the future than anything else, but is futsal terribly common in the US? I'd really love to get back into football, but I really can't play any really high-contact sports anymore - I was in a car accident about a year ago, shattered my tibia completely and there's now a metal rod in there. It's not as if it hurts to walk on or anything like that, but when things hit it/injuries happen to it, it hurts a lot more than it would have before.

Am I poo poo out of luck, or is there a chance that there's a league or something like that for me?

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

Voodoo posted:

I'm pretty sure the proper play is for me (sweeper) to step up and attack the wing, and have a 2nd defender move into position behind me near the striker. But what if that doesn't happen? Should I just attack and hope for the best? Or should I try and posistion myself as best as possible to make a play on the pass...without giving up an easy shot (probably impossible). I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas.

Delay, delay, yell at everyone for not getting back. Try to not give them an easy pass or dribble past you and in a position where you can take advantage of a bad touch. Finally, try to figure where you'll become mainly a screen for your keeper and pressure right before then, generally before the 18. If you're optimistic about your refereeing you can try and pull an offside trap if the other forward is staying with you.

The general rules I've played with for a sweeper (which depend on the team) have been you shouldn't be regularly marking anyone, you're in charge of holding the offside line so make sure teammates stay in front of you and selectively pressure to win the ball.

The Mattybee posted:

Am I poo poo out of luck, or is there a chance that there's a league or something like that for me?

They exist, but going to depend on where you are and if you're lucky.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Mattybee posted:

This is more a question for the future than anything else, but is futsal terribly common in the US? I'd really love to get back into football, but I really can't play any really high-contact sports anymore - I was in a car accident about a year ago, shattered my tibia completely and there's now a metal rod in there. It's not as if it hurts to walk on or anything like that, but when things hit it/injuries happen to it, it hurts a lot more than it would have before.

It depends on where you are but there are plenty of futsal leagues in the New York/New Jersey area.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Voodoo posted:

I play in a outdoors, 11 a side, co-ed league during the week. The only non-standard rule is no slide tackling, but play is still a bit rough. My team plays a 4-3-3, and we're really bad. I've been playing sweeper pretty much exclusively since nobody else wants to play defense (thus I get a lot of play time). And while I'm decent enough in one-on-one and break-away situations, I have trouble figuring out what to do in two-on-one situations. Generally it happens because we have our weakest girls defending on the outside, so if they get beat by a wing it becomes wing+striker vs sweeper.

In any situation where you are outnumbered as a defender, your objective is to delay the shot for as long as possible to give your teammates time to track back. Don't just charge out to the winger and leave the guy in the middle unmarked - if you're in the centre the only thing the winger can do unpressured is to get a cross in, and you should have a good chance of beating the striker to that.

The ideal distance away from the winger is just far enough that he can't kick the ball ahead of himself and sprint. If he tries to do that you get to the ball first and clear it, so he's forced to dribble slower towards you and try to get you to commit and leave an opening. Keeping that situation going for as long as possible is the best you can do without the attackers making a mistake, and hopefully gives enough time for your fullback or a midfielder to help you out. If you're doing that and your team aren't chasing back to help then they need a bollocking.

Basically what keeper said - the important thing above all else is not to commit too early. Sometimes you'll get flak from your teammates for not closing down early enough but I can tell you as an attacking midfielder it's much easier to use the opening created by you committing yourself than it is to create an opening myself if your positioning is good.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

For the third game running I've been the most fouled player on the pitch, and after today I'm pretty sure I've got a torn meniscus. gently caress.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
For those of you who can't shoot with both feet, I couldn't up until three weeks ago. After practicing for that time, I'm able to do it relatively well, to the point at which I think I could confidently take a corner kick with my left.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Scikar posted:

For the third game running I've been the most fouled player on the pitch, and after today I'm pretty sure I've got a torn meniscus. gently caress.

poo poo, that sucks. I wish you the best of luck. I tore my meniscus about 5 or 6 weeks ago while playing, and I just started working out again about a week ago. I am able to run and sprint fine now, though I am a little scared every time I need to make a quick turn or any sort of lateral movement. It still doesn't feel exactly normal.

The lamest part is that it seems like my hamstring shrunk to about half its size. I tried to do some squats the other day in the gym, and I can barely lift about half of what I could.

Knee injuries suck.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Knee injuries suck.

I agree with this 100%. I hurt my knee during an open night last year and it was upwards of 8 months before it was finally good to really play. Luckily I hurt it again shortly after that and was out for a few more months.

I'm also going to add that hamstrings suck. I tore mine crossing the street maybe 3 months ago (pretty sure I did the damage before that and it just kicked in then), took time off and rehabed it until it felt safe. Anyway 3 weeks ago I'm breaking into a run at maybe 70% max speed and boom. did the hammy again.

K-Block
Sep 4, 2008
I'm trying to get into playing intramural at my school as something more competitive than squash. I'm in reasonably decent shape, but I unfortunately tweaked my groin this past week playing softball.
Anyways, any good workout ideas? I was running up until now, and slowly getting quicker. I'm not a huge fan of straight running, so I'm looking for more. Would the stationary bike help?
Also, we play on turf (I'm pretty sure) so any specific footwear I should look for? I don't have a shop to try on shoes near me unfortunately.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

K-Block posted:

I'm trying to get into playing intramural at my school as something more competitive than squash. I'm in reasonably decent shape, but I unfortunately tweaked my groin this past week playing softball.
Anyways, any good workout ideas? I was running up until now, and slowly getting quicker. I'm not a huge fan of straight running, so I'm looking for more. Would the stationary bike help?
Also, we play on turf (I'm pretty sure) so any specific footwear I should look for? I don't have a shop to try on shoes near me unfortunately.

There are boots specifically for turf, they've got short'ish rubber studs usually. They're somewhere between the moulded studs of a grass boot and the flatter sole of a pure running/indoor futsal shoe. if you're buying online i guess it's a bit of pot luck but definitely research the ground you're going to be playing on before making a decision.

Pretty sure there is a version of the Nike Tempio for turf. I used to wear them for indoor and they were pretty good.

(sometimes turf shoes are listed as 'touch football boots' too)

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Finals start tonight, second season in a row for the mighty Robot House! We're playing the same team as last season, and we've beaten them twice this season, so I'm pretty much expecting to bomb out tonight, but it's good fun anyway.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

K-Block posted:

Anyways, any good workout ideas? I was running up until now, and slowly getting quicker. I'm not a huge fan of straight running, so I'm looking for more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glcbLSD--ag

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Shmoses posted:

Finals start tonight, second season in a row for the mighty Robot House! We're playing the same team as last season, and we've beaten them twice this season, so I'm pretty much expecting to bomb out tonight, but it's good fun anyway.
Yeah, we lost :(

Propayne
Mar 21, 2005
Yeah > Whatever

Shmoses posted:

ROBOT HOUSE!!! Anyways, talking about injuries I tore my ACL, MCL, and PCL all in one tackle about 3 years ago. I still play but not to a very high degree. I lost most of my speed , agility, and endurance. Knee injuries are very lovely.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Collingwood Sunday League Division 2 champion in the house!

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Congrats man! Do you have an end of season piss up? We take Brownlow-esque 3-2-1 votes from every player in every game during the season then count the votes and get blind drunk at the end of every season.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Congrats man! Do you have an end of season piss up? We take Brownlow-esque 3-2-1 votes from every player in every game during the season then count the votes and get blind drunk at the end of every season.

Just had a BBQ after the game, few beers but nothing too exciting. If we did a Brownlow voting system it'd be the same three players every season at the top of the table as a few of us play every game and others only play every two weeks. We've done awards nights in the past, I won 'shortest distance driven to training' last season - about 500 meters, but in my defense it was really cold. I would win 'most emails sent to the competition organizer' this year.

Was a really good way to finish off at Collingwood though as we're moving to a different league for the next season - still on Sundays but in Fitzroy North. It's closer to everyone's house's, starts earlier and the guys who run it and ref there are much more proactive and basically better than at the Collingwood league. Plus we were kinda sick of playing some teams at Collingwood; exacerbated by the team we absolutely couldnt stand at Collingwood moving to Fitzroy too.

Also, anyone know who I can email at Nike to direct a footwear complaint to? I brought a new pair of T-5's a few weeks ago and they're starting to come apart already. I've probably only worn them a half dozen times and only during games. What the eff!?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Yeah, well one guy won our first like five in a row, then I recruited a mate of mine from work who's won the next three. To be honest it's more about hanging out with the guys I play with because everyone's busy with life and it's hard to get us together regularly enough.

EDIT: Also, I know what you mean about teams that you just hate playing. Thankfully we don't get a lot of that anymore because the leagues are organised much better, but they used to never grade teams and just shunt the newer teams into the bottom league with us. Lots of seasons were ruined by teams coming in and taking it far too seriously and ending up scoring 100 goals a season and what not. loving joke.

Boonys Cut Shot fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 9, 2010

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

First football session tonight after the summer break. I was loving knackered after 10 minutes so I had to take a turn in goal. I hate being the goalkeeper because I freaking suck at it and tonight was no different. I was standing at the left edge of the goal and the other teams right winger hits a cross in and it looked to me as it was going to go over goal but the loving ball went in the loving right corner of the goal and I didn't move at all.

It wasn't even full size goals. :ughh:

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
I had an excellent game last night that left me buzzing. However, I woke up this morning and my permanently slightly-dodgy knee is on fire. Like, absolutely loving caning all of the time. I pinged it a bit when somebody I was tracking changed direction suddenly but it didn't feel that bad at the time. I'm worried that I've done what my dad did, who basically never played football again.

:(

Hold me.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I am OK posted:

I had an excellent game last night that left me buzzing. However, I woke up this morning and my permanently slightly-dodgy knee is on fire. Like, absolutely loving caning all of the time. I pinged it a bit when somebody I was tracking changed direction suddenly but it didn't feel that bad at the time. I'm worried that I've done what my dad did, who basically never played football again.

:(

Hold me.

This is one of those name + post combo things everyone is always talking about.

Ibuprofen and ice. Learn to love it. I basically live on it the day after a game. If it doesn't feel better in a few days go see a doctor.

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!
Been trying to find a drat field to practice on the shake off the rust but every soccer field in the West LA area is poo poo and usually is inhabited by people playing Ultimate Frisby. They closed down the two honest to goodness legit soccer fields by my house because it flooded. I miss playing and I can't even use my new boots.

:cry:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I moved back home, turned out for the local village team. The average level is better than my Edinburgh team and yet I thought I stood out as one of the better players. Afterwards I found out why - hardly any of them are even 18, the oldest player besides me is 21 and I'm 24. I feel old.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
the season for my community college begins august 31. i'm pretty excited. we're going to play against some good schools on some great fields.

i've been working really hard in practice. running a few miles to warm up, then straight to drills and scrimmages. i've been diving a ton, stopping 1v1s, distributing, sweeping, etc. i finally got some keeper pants after wearing standard shorts for a long time. what a huge improvement. the nike compression shorts are also a big help.

soccer's good. i'm getting in great shape and meeting new people

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Shrapnac posted:

This is one of those name + post combo things everyone is always talking about.

Ibuprofen and ice. Learn to love it. I basically live on it the day after a game. If it doesn't feel better in a few days go see a doctor.
Yeah, my knee is usually pretty sore to walk on the day after I've been playing, so when I was in Cologne I was getting a bag of ice from the restaurant in the hotel and just icing the poo poo out of it for about 10-15 minutes. Next day it was fine. I actually only did it for the first 3 days I think, it was kinda been weirdly ok since then.

By the way, playing 8 matches (full 11 a side) consisting of 25-30 minute halves in 5 days is loving exhausting and I don't recommend it. :(

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.
Stupid question: What am I looking for in shin guards? Something with straps? Sleeves? The kind that strap to your ankle? I'm looking at the $20-30 range but don't know where to start.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Stupid question: What am I looking for in shin guards? Something with straps? Sleeves? The kind that strap to your ankle? I'm looking at the $20-30 range but don't know where to start.

What position do you play and how protected do you want to be?

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Bovine Delight posted:

What position do you play and how protected do you want to be?
Striker. Don't need to be too protected I suppose. No tackling (in theory).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If pace is your thing then obviously light ones can be a benefit. Even without that I know plenty of players who don't use pace much and still just wear tiny, thin slip-in ones because they find bigger pads uncomfortable. Personally I'm pretty soft and I find even in less rough games I get the odd knock on my ankle which at least puts me off for a while, so I have pads with a hard outer plate and ankle guards. The amount of paint that has been scraped off them suggests they were a wise purchase, but then I was playing in Scotland.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Really pumped about this fall season. I'm in charge of the mens club team for my university(no public universities here have official mens teams due to Title IX) Tryouts are Monday and Tuesday but we are returning 16 people including 9 starters.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Now that I'm finally in good enough condition cardio vascularly to get a good run in, my knee has started swelling again. gently caress me.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
i was named captain of my college's squad! first match is on tuesday. i'm pumped

shinguards: i play keeper, so i like to be fully protected. i picked up some nike ones for ~$20 from my local soccer shop. they have an ankle brace with hard plastic to protect the outside then a detachable shinguard. the shinguard is pretty big and has a strap. i feel invincible with them on. highly recommended!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm tired of playing against "SERIOUS BUSINESS" teams in the lowest level of my adult rec league.

For those who don't know (check my post history in this thread), I was "cut" (yes, cut, in a rec league) from a team of mostly testosterone filled thugs who apparently weren't satisfied with their performance last season. I joined another team in the same league, a sort of "bad news bears" group of misfits, who probably won't do well this season. It's not a big deal, since I just wanted to play soccer and have fun. I try to stay positive.

Anyway, the day where I play against my former team came yesterday. They were dominating us, with the score 3-0 at halftime. Already, the malicious tackles, shoved, and whatnot had come out, but it got even worse during the second half. One of their guys did a studs up tackle from behind when he got beat. He received a yellow card (it probably should have been red) and his teammates cheered him for his actions. "Good job, Stevens!" they said.

They're the kind of team who will complain loudly at every referee call, even when they're solidly winning. When I was on the sidelines, I looked over at them after they whined about an offsides call.

Me: "Come on guys, you're up by like 5 goals. Can't you stop whining about every call?"

Them: "HEY, SHUT UP. YOU SHUT UP AND STOP TALKING TO US. WHAT? WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO?"

Seriously? They were puffing their chests up like they wanted to fight or something. The linesman had to tell them to calm down. They were still glaring at me when I subbed back in. "C-League rec soccer, serious business." I said back to them.

One of the guys who was furious at me for my "remarks" later took the opportunity to "get revenge." He was trying to receive a goal kick at the midline, but I intercepted it and passed it off. About 3 seconds after the ball left my foot, he came in and shoved me as hard as he could on the ground. I looked up at the referee with my hands up in the air.

Me: "Come on, ref? How long are you going to let this crap go on? It's been happening the entire game."

Ref: "Look, I'm giving him a card. What, do you want me to send off their whole team or something?"

Me: "Honestly, yes. This is rec soccer and they've been maliciously tackling everyone on the field, even when they're up by like 5 goals."

At that moment one of their players jogged past with a smile and said, "Actually, it's six goals :smug:."

At the end, I think they won 7-0. I took the opportunity to shake hands with the few classy players on their team, but neglected to say anything to the rest. I just don't get how some people can be so serious in the lowest level league of the game. There's a difference between playing your heart out and being a malicious shithead.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Woa that sucks.

On the topic of shinguards, I also have the ones with the ankle guards and straps, even though I am one of the 'fast' players. I don't feel it affects my speed/agility and the extra protection is really nice to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

We were recently promoted and after the first two games in our new division we are top of the table with 31 goals scored and 4 conceded. This week we play a team who has just been entered into the division -- hopefully they're poo poo.

Unfortunately our captain thought Zenit had two n's in it, so our team name looks even more stupid than it would do were it spelled correctly.