Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
checkeredshawn
Jul 16, 2007

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem - when playing games like Five Finger Filet or Poker, my wager always shoots up to the maximum number as if the left stick is stuck in the Up position. It doesn't seem to do that in the Xbox menu, though. Also, Marston is constantly moving forward unless I stop him, but other than that everything seems normal...is this the expected behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

checkeredshawn posted:

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem - when playing games like Five Finger Filet or Poker, my wager always shoots up to the maximum number as if the left stick is stuck in the Up position. It doesn't seem to do that in the Xbox menu, though. Also, Marston is constantly moving forward unless I stop him, but other than that everything seems normal...is this the expected behavior?

Can't say this ever happened to me. Have you tried another controller? Or is your controller a third party make?

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

checkeredshawn posted:

This happens to me too. Whenever they have a number selector it seems way sensitive to my controller and always scrolls through really fast. Can't say I have the issue with Marston constantly walking forward though.

checkeredshawn
Jul 16, 2007

Hmm, brand new Xbox, just bought it yesterday off of Amazon, it's the controller that came with it. I figured something was up, Marston constantly walking forward was really annoying. Another weird thing that happens is that, when I open the map, the crossbars scroll up slightly right away...this is definitely not supposed to happen, right? I wonder if there's someone I should call, or how I should test this, since RDR is the only game I have.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Does it have a 'set base control settings' thing first? If that's the case, and you aren't touching the d-pad or whatever, it might be a sensitivity problem.

I've never owned an Xbox or 360 though, so I'd suggest researching more deeply before listening to my advice.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

checkeredshawn posted:

Hmm, brand new Xbox, just bought it yesterday off of Amazon, it's the controller that came with it. I figured something was up, Marston constantly walking forward was really annoying. Another weird thing that happens is that, when I open the map, the crossbars scroll up slightly right away...this is definitely not supposed to happen, right? I wonder if there's someone I should call, or how I should test this, since RDR is the only game I have.

I can't say the crossbars scrolling up happened to me either. Best thing I can think of is to ask a friend who also owns a 360 to let you borrow a game and a controller, so you know where the fault lies.

checkeredshawn
Jul 16, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I can't say the crossbars scrolling up happened to me either. Best thing I can think of is to ask a friend who also owns a 360 to let you borrow a game and a controller, so you know where the fault lies.

Ah, that's a good idea. I'll give that a shot.

msane
Oct 25, 2007

msane in the membrane

checkeredshawn posted:

This is unfortunately something that happens eventually with a lot of Xbox controllers after a lot of use. You shouldn't be experiencing it with a brand new controller though, so I'd talk to Amazon about getting a replacement.

edit: I have this on one of my controllers that I opened up to fix the d-pad on. It happens because the stick is slightly out of whack and so the game reads the stick as being slightly out of the "dead zone" of the stick at rest. Some games use a smaller dead zone than others and you'll experience it more in those games.

msane fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 27, 2010

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Scarf posted:

Wrong, Woody Allen.

Oh God, Oh Jesus, I'm Herbut Mooooooon and tha tha JEWS! Oh nooo!

It can't be him, man.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Speaking of DLC, what's up with the Liars Pack with the multiplayer dice and poker? They said late August and it's going on the 28th. Maybe they're running into problems. :ohdear:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Liar's pack will be September 21st.

http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_11596/Red_Dead_Liars_and_Cheats_Pack_is_Coming_September_21st

I thought that the August date was for the Tomahawk pack that just dropped.

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
I read this morning that they're merging it with the free-roam pack. That's fine by me, just as long as the DeadlandsUndead Nightmare pack hits in October.

I wish we'd get some word on when those other 2 Gamestop contest outfits are gonna be released like they promised. I just watched "The Mountain Men" and I want to PLAY as a mountain man, goddammit.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I went to hunt boars, which I've killed a bunch of times before.

Not like these boars though. These boars are total pricks. Killed on at a distance, and got closer to the second one. Shot it once and it turned around and charged me, and wouldn't stop and let me get up.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

No, Liars and Cheaters was supposed to drop 'in late August.' But since they're adding Free Roam to it without charging any more, that rocks. I can't wait to see what the seven extra hideouts will be. I'll go Legendary for that if I can level up like a mofo.

Good times. :)

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

quote:

You were removed from your session and returned to Free Roam due to connection issues with other players.

I just hit the XBox Live Multiplayer button on the title screen and have gotten this message about 6 times with nothing but loading screens in between and it shows no signs of stopping :suicide:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Icedude posted:

I just hit the XBox Live Multiplayer button on the title screen and have gotten this message about 6 times with nothing but loading screens in between and it shows no signs of stopping :suicide:

Rockstar is having some weird issues with their servers. I often get the 'strict NAT' warning before I go into Free Roam but it usually takes three 'it's your fault not ours but we're still trying hurr duur' warnings before I get thrown into one. I know they did some updating Wednesday overnight but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Woody Allen could play the professor, though honestly I'd say Ewan MacGreggor would be better for it.

Woody Harrelson would be good for Bill Williamson.
JK Simmons would be good for Ross.
Johnny Depp could make for a good Dutch or Irish.
And of course, Sam Elliot as Landon Ricketts, because let's face it they modeled the character after him anyway.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Anyone who bought the legends and killers pack willing to do a free gameshare with me on PS3? I can't see myself spending $10 for a few new characters and a new weapon. Maybe we can work something out where you can download something from my account too?

Post or email me at repelex1(at)gmail(dot)com

Paint-Drinking Pete
Apr 9, 2009
I want to kill whoever decided putting sniper rifles in all of the huge, open maps in the new map pack was a good idea. 90% of the games I play end up nothing but camp fests as 3 or 4 people with the rolling block slowly circle the outer perimeter of the map keeping everyone else pinned down. It's made even worse since they give you a bad rear end new short range weapon (the tomahawk) that you're never even able to use in most matches.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Woody Allen could play the professor, though honestly I'd say Ewan MacGreggor would be better for it.

Woody Harrelson would be good for Bill Williamson.
JK Simmons would be good for Ross.
Johnny Depp could make for a good Dutch or Irish.
And of course, Sam Elliot as Landon Ricketts, because let's face it they modeled the character after him anyway.

Why did you spoil Dutch when he is mentioned within 10 minutes of the game?

And Ricketts was based on Lee Van Cleef, just like revolver ocelot.

Besides, Sam Elliott is more badass as the king of bouncers than as a cowboy. A lot more drunk too.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Dutch should be played by Powers Boothe. He's got the look, he's got the range and he's been able to do crazy yet charismatic for decades.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
I would enjoy Woody Allen as Herbert Moon for the pure irony of it, although Mel Gibson would probably ad-lib some pretty awesome lines.

I'm kind of an achievement whore, and I don't think I'm ever going to get "Go Team!" and "The Quick and Everyone Else..." I usually end up in the top three in team matches, so I'm constantly being reshuffled to shittier teams. It's win, loss, win, loss for me every goddamn time. I haven't tried FFA but I seriously doubt I'll be good enough at that to get the top score three rounds in a row. Any tips?

I haven't downloaded the co-op missions yet, I lent the game to my brother for awhile after I picked up Mass Effect 2. If there are any goons who are looking for help with achievements, would like to help me with achievements, or want to shoot cannons at pubbies from El Presidio, let me know.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

A Quiet American posted:

I would enjoy Woody Allen as Herbert Moon for the pure irony of it, although Mel Gibson would probably ad-lib some pretty awesome lines.

I'm kind of an achievement whore, and I don't think I'm ever going to get "Go Team!" and "The Quick and Everyone Else..." I usually end up in the top three in team matches, so I'm constantly being reshuffled to shittier teams. It's win, loss, win, loss for me every goddamn time. I haven't tried FFA but I seriously doubt I'll be good enough at that to get the top score three rounds in a row. Any tips?

I haven't downloaded the co-op missions yet, I lent the game to my brother for awhile after I picked up Mass Effect 2. If there are any goons who are looking for help with achievements, would like to help me with achievements, or want to shoot cannons at pubbies from El Presidio, let me know.

If you want we can partner up and get the FFA and team match achievements in private multiplayer mode - there's some good boosting techniques for those and other multiplayer achievements, and I'd love to work with another achievement whore to get them. I don't have a ton of time but will be around a bit more after labor day for the ones we don't get right away.

I'll shoot you a friend request.

Edit: actually not in private, but we can still use a boosting technique to get them. :)

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Reposting my PSN tag: spaniardthe12th

Add me! (Don't have a headset now, until I can get to town to buy one.)

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
So now the double xp is long gone, whats the best and quickest way to level up?

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Mister Bung posted:

So now the double xp is long gone, whats the best and quickest way to level up?

Same as it always has been: grinding hideouts.

Twin Rocks is the best "XP per second" hideout, but is positively mind-numbing and relies on you being skilled enough to reliably pull it off in under a minute with a full kill combo. For those interested, my current record is 45s, 22 combo, 100% accuracy.

If you are on PS3, Solomon's Folly is your next best bet. It can be done fast and without too much trouble, especially if you use the barn for cover. Still relies on learning how to do it in the shortest time possible without losing your combo.

Pike's Basin is the one you will likely see played the most thanks to its decent XP/sec ratio and relatively easy bonuses (+300 XP just for placing the dynamite!). It is also a bit longer and more varied than the prior two, so your brain does not break as fast.

If you do not want to shut down your brain and grind a single hideout like some poopsocking WoW player, you can always join a posse and ride around clearing all of the hideouts in semi-random order. Things get less stale that way, but it is also a lot slower. You can switch things up and join some public multiplayer games for the easier challenges too, but decent XP is not guaranteed in competitive modes unless you feel you are good enough to successively score well.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

If you want we can partner up and get the FFA and team match achievements in private multiplayer mode - there's some good boosting techniques for those and other multiplayer achievements, and I'd love to work with another achievement whore to get them. I don't have a ton of time but will be around a bit more after labor day for the ones we don't get right away.

I'll shoot you a friend request.

Edit: actually not in private, but we can still use a boosting technique to get them. :)

Awesome, I'll definitely take you up on that. I forgot to ask, is the general consensus pretty much that the Legends and Killers pack isn't worth it? $10 for skins, gang shootout maps (I kind of hate the competitive multiplayer in RDR), and a tomahawk seems a bit much.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Spawn another beaver you motherfucker.

anothertenbux
Aug 17, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Pocket Billiards posted:

Go to the Y-junction in Auora Basin or wherever it's called. There's a beaver spawn point by a rock to the east of the Y-junction where one will spawn every minute or two.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Pocket Billiards posted:

Collecting 5 beaver skins annoyed the gently caress out of me, I wasted so much bait hoping to attract some, only to be swarmed by boars or more annoyingly wolves.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Collecting 5 beaver skins annoyed the gently caress out of me, I wasted so much bait hoping to attract some, only to be swarmed by boars or more annoyingly wolves.

I was under the impression that the bait was aimed at predators only. Does it really work for other animals? I've only used it 2 or 3 times, but it was cougars and wolves I always got.

And holy poo poo snakes are hard to spot.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Sir Spaniard posted:

I was under the impression that the bait was aimed at predators only. Does it really work for other animals? I've only used it 2 or 3 times, but it was cougars and wolves I always got.

That could be true, I only ever used it in the beaver spots up North, and it only ever brought wolves and boars, you could be right if it counts boars as predators which I am unsure about.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Sir Spaniard posted:

I think I killed one or two snakes on my 100% playthrough. I was walking around firing wildly at animals like a jackass when I saw something slithering on the ground. I was probably like 90% complete and I didn't even know there were snakes in the game.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Speaking of snakes, has anyone noticed that the tomahawk pack seems to make more of them appear in the wild? Playing through the entire game, I probably ran across half a dozen. Downloaded the pack, started it up, I've run into three in just about 2 hours of game play.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

fount of knowledge posted:

I heard this game had some issues on PS3 while I was shopping for it, but this is just ridiculous. I can't play more than ten minutes before a hard freeze (with music in the back) hits me. It sucks because I feel like I'd really like the game IF I COULD loving PLAY IT.

Was a fix for this ever released?

Edit: It seems to freeze specifically when trying to load Hennigan's Stead, but it was also freezing before. Anyone heard of this happening before?

Still happening. I'm probably returning this on Monday. Hopefully I can pick up a disc later and give it another try.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

CzarChasm posted:

Speaking of snakes, has anyone noticed that the tomahawk pack seems to make more of them appear in the wild? Playing through the entire game, I probably ran across half a dozen. Downloaded the pack, started it up, I've run into three in just about 2 hours of game play.

Before the pack, I ran into them every thirty feet it seemed, they're far less common for me now. I still run into them often enough to annoy me into knifing every single one though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

A Quiet American posted:

Awesome, I'll definitely take you up on that. I forgot to ask, is the general consensus pretty much that the Legends and Killers pack isn't worth it? $10 for skins, gang shootout maps (I kind of hate the competitive multiplayer in RDR), and a tomahawk seems a bit much.

I like it and there are some FFA maps in it too, but your mileage may vary. Chucking a tomahawk into some unsuspecting pubbie's back is pretty funny though. There are probably better ways to spend :10bux:

If you want to read up on the various boosting methods, check this thread out: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229132

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Peas and Rice posted:

I like it and there are some FFA maps in it too, but your mileage may vary. Chucking a tomahawk into some unsuspecting pubbie's back is pretty funny though. There are probably better ways to spend :10bux:
How does that work anyway, do people who have the pack join normal free mode servers with the rest of us and get to use the new weapons on people who don't have them?

I wasn't going to get this pack, and I wasn't planning on the liars and cheats pack, until today when I read there are new gang hideouts and hunting grounds. Does anyone know if there will be any new wildlife or just new places to kill wildlife. One time I was in the Tall Trees area and I swear about 15-20 bears came at me in the span of 3 minutes and it was freaking awesome. It wasn't the hideout area where you kill that super bear either, just walking around in the forest. I'm so bad I cheese that hideout area like crazy, standing on a wall and just picking off bears. I'm shameful.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

davebo posted:

How does that work anyway, do people who have the pack join normal free mode servers with the rest of us and get to use the new weapons on people who don't have them?

Yup. The tomahawk is basically a one-shot kill but you need to be pretty close to use it, so it's good for a nice sneak in the back once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I put this game down for a month or so after finishing it, and just picked it back up to screw around, headed up to Manzanita Post under the stars and sat by a fire with some guy and his dog while he played a few tunes on the harmonica as his buddies slept in a tent nearby.

He left and then I went into the tent and slit his friends' throats

Game owns

• Locked thread