Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

frabba posted:

Ok, I am really hating this starvin marvin art style for this fight. Alot. I liked it more when they all looked like heavyweights :-(

I don't think any of the out-boxers (Itagaki, Miyata, Karasawa, etc) really ever looked as muscular as the in-boxers (Ippo, Sendo, Shimabukuro). The only exception I can really think of is perhaps Vorg who started as an out-boxer but became an in-boxer for Japan for more entertaining fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I don't think any of the out-boxers (Itagaki, Miyata, Karasawa, etc) really ever looked as muscular as the in-boxers (Ippo, Sendo, Shimabukuro).

Karasawa in the past

In the present

Also, these are both outboxer types, Mashiba and Kimura. A trend is forming. As characters gain anorexia, it boosts their Japanese "fighting spirit."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jedah fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 4, 2010

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah but Mashiba is supposed to be pretty lanky with a long reach and I think that page was before all the characters became angular caricatures of human beings.

Edit: You have a point with Kimura though!

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 4, 2010

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

frabba posted:

Ok, I am really hating this starvin marvin art style for this fight. Alot. I liked it more when they all looked like heavyweights :-(

Haha, I'm the opposite. It always weirded me out seeing these guys that are supposed to weigh like 125lb looking like bodybuilders. Unless they're like 5 feet tall it doesn't really make much sense. So the look they have in these recent chapters is a lot more realistic.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

905 Raw is up. I-O seems stalled on their scanslations.

Well, it seems that Karasawa has hit his stride. He has a game-face on, and Itagaki seems intimidated. Itagaki notices the time left in the round, gets greedy, and tries to take him down so he can beat Ippo's time. Karasawa seems to end up wrecking Itagaki's range an rhythm the whole while, making an absolute mockery of his usual god-moding.

He seems to be copying lots of folks at this point. He pulled out a Jolt earlier, and in this chapter, he tries a Hitman stance (only to get his bell rung in turn). Finally, he attempts a Dragon Fish Blow (a la Kimura vs Mashiba), but the contact ends up on Karasawa's forehead, which isn't the best place to aim for when punching. Some folks are saying that he broke his fist, but I seriously doubt that. If he broke his fist, you would've seen some X-ray shot, and he'd be bawling on the ground. He just hosed up his contact and tweaked his wrist pretty badly.

The round ends with Itagaki's right hand hosed up, and the momentum shifting to Karasawa. Itagaki is definitely going to win, given the mood, but he's getting taken down a few notches in the process.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I think I know where this fight is going, Itagaki gets increasingly frustrated that his mimicfighting is not working, will possibly take a really bad down, and then will somehow be reminded to stay true to his style of boxing instead of everyone else's.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

frabba posted:

I think I know where this fight is going, Itagaki gets increasingly frustrated that his mimicfighting is not working, will possibly take a really bad down, and then will somehow be reminded to stay true to his style of boxing instead of everyone else's.

Why do I need to copy other people when I have GOD MODE!.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Geop posted:

He seems to be copying lots of folks at this point. He pulled out a Jolt earlier, and in this chapter, he tries a Hitman stance (only to get his bell rung in turn). Finally, he attempts a Dragon Fish Blow (a la Kimura vs Mashiba), but the contact ends up on Karasawa's forehead, which isn't the best place to aim for when punching. Some folks are saying that he broke his fist, but I seriously doubt that. If he broke his fist, you would've seen some X-ray shot, and he'd be bawling on the ground. He just hosed up his contact and tweaked his wrist pretty badly.

It's pretty hardcore that Karasawa literally intercepted Itagaki's fist with his skull, and came out of it better off. I may have to stop referring to him as "the guy that Ippo beat so badly he became incontinent"

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's pretty hardcore that Karasawa literally intercepted Itagaki's fist with his skull, and came out of it better off. I may have to stop referring to him as "the guy that Ippo beat so badly he became incontinent"
Throwing off a punches timing by changing where it hits was the first thing Kamogawa thought Ippo. Then again that was on purpose and this is a happy accident for Karasawa.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

trucutru posted:

Why do I need to copy other people when I have GOD MODE!.
"Time for me to copy GOD :smuggo:"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
We caught up!

903: http://www.confusticated.com/ignition-one/Hajime_no_Ippo/903/01/1100/1/
904: http://www.confusticated.com/ignition-one/Hajime_no_Ippo/904/01/1100/1/
905: http://www.confusticated.com/ignition-one/Hajime_no_Ippo/905/01/1100/1/

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Itagaki is just playing stupid; soon he will unleash God Mode 2, which looks similar to Woli's God Mode but adds in blue lightning that sparks around Itagaki's body.

Still an Itagaki fan.:toot:

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
It seems fair enough. Even if he wins, everyone knows he's a poo poo boxer getting by on his natural ability. He's fighting a fairly mediocre pro. Not that Karasawa's bad, but there are tons of guys better. Someone with a bit more ability that understood boxing would have had Itagaki coughing up teeth at this point. Like they said, a high performance car with an incompetent driver.

Hopefully it takes his personality down a few pegs from "Hope he gets sexually assaulted in the showers to" "kind of a prick".

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah, he's kind of a jerk, but as long as he keeps making bad puns, I'll always love him :allears:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This is pretty much exactly what I hoped for concerning taking Itagaki down a peg. I hope Karasawa wins.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I hope Karasawa wins.
He won't =(

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Itagaki, remember the power of the smug! just copy Woli and use a jumping C into a custom combo!

Itagaki will win, but wont be a be able to do it in time so he will learn some humility or something

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
This fight is some much better than the Woli match it's like reading a different comic. The momentum is really well done.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Just like Ippo, Mori (as a writer) has the ability to overcome the odds and make a comeback. We've been waiting a long time. The manga is looking to be much better than it used to be. Itagaki will still win this fight, and most likely beat Saeki too, but I still enjoy this fight much, much more than Woli. A dark period is ending, we can actually get excited about Ippo again (I hope).

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine
Holy tits Ippo Gaiden. Sendo been moiderin punks since 8th grade.

WHERE DO THESE JARS KEEP COMING FROM OW DAMNIT GRANDMA

http://www.confusticated.com/ignition-one/ippo-gaiden.php?chap=001&img=01

BOrangeFury fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 30, 2010

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think Morikawa has a problem in general with Ippo's fights. They always seem wayyyy slower paced than any other ones, I guess because he's really pushing the whole POV thing since Ippo's the main character. But instead of making the reader feel engrossed, it just means things are SUPER DUPER SLOW.

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE STRONG

OW DAMNIT GRANDMA

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

BOrangeFury posted:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE STRONG
On that note, I find it odd that Ippo still asks "what does it mean to be strong" when he has beaten a couple of dozen trained fighters more than half to death with his HANDS.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's cuz he's still a wimp. He's come along, but considering the meager amount of improvement he's made in some 900 chapters, while constantly being surrounded by dudes who are alpha as gently caress, you could say he's preternaturally disposed to being weak. Hajime no Ippo is the ultimate tale of nurture conquering nature!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

906 Raw is up. Loosely translated based on what someone on I-O's main message board said.

Shinoda and the seconds in general seem to have it decided already that Itagaki isn't going to pull out a win, and Aokimura already basically went WELP, HE'S DONE. No word on what Takamura thinks (but he appears).

Round starts and Itagaki is getting tarred and feathered nonstop. He notices the time left in the round just as it passes the 2:30 mark, which Ippo beat Karasawa within. He tosses away his goal/pride and remembers how Ippo mentioned he hit Woli: hit once, build on that from there. Itagaki goes from OH GOD :gonk: to a rather serious expression, and the chapter ends.

Seems like it won't drag on terribly much longer, one would hope :v:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Geop posted:

906 Raw is up. Loosely translated based on what someone on I-O's main message board said.

He tosses away his goal/pride and remembers how Ippo mentioned he hit Woli: hit once, build on that from there.

Sounds like this is a repeat of what happened last chapter. Goddamnit.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Because we didn't understand what Ippo did with Woli, we get to watch Itagaki do it again. Wonderful.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Doubt it's going to be a repeat, really. He's just realising that making the goal to win in a certain manner is hampering him. Unlike Ippo who had to start taking baby steps against Woli to stand a chance, Itagaki needs to evaluate what the gently caress he's doing in the ring, because he's pretty much way better than Karasawa. He's just loving himself up with stupid goals. Just like Takamura did at one point (God, that's a long time ago, when he proclaimed that he'd win in one blow, and then proceeded to have a fairly hard time against a chump... though Takamura has the awesomeness required to pull through on stupid goals.)

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, I think he'll turn it around in the next chapter or two. He had his eyes set on some stupid goal, got greedy, and abandoned his usual style. Next chapter or two, he should start turning it around, unless Karasawa has another trick ready :v: Bear in mind that Ippo was outclassed in virtually every way (except experience). Itagaki just got greedy and finally snapped out of it. Come to think of it, has he ever come from behind to win? Maybe the Imae (his rival. I think that's his name) bout? Can hardly remember that fight, though.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

Exercu posted:

Doubt it's going to be a repeat, really. He's just realising that making the goal to win in a certain manner is hampering him. Unlike Ippo who had to start taking baby steps against Woli to stand a chance, Itagaki needs to evaluate what the gently caress he's doing in the ring, because he's pretty much way better than Karasawa. He's just loving himself up with stupid goals. Just like Takamura did at one point (God, that's a long time ago, when he proclaimed that he'd win in one blow, and then proceeded to have a fairly hard time against a chump... though Takamura has the awesomeness required to pull through on stupid goals.)

I may be wrong, but it was actually Takamura saying he wouldn't TAKE a single punch. He of course acted like a fuckhead, got clocked, and then dodged every single punch before annihilating the guy.

Takamura rules.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

tazman posted:

I may be wrong, but it was actually Takamura saying he wouldn't TAKE a single punch. He of course acted like a fuckhead, got clocked, and then dodged every single punch before annihilating the guy.

Takamura rules.

Pretty sure he also had one where he just went BEETLE PUNCH for the entire fight until he went screw it and just clocked the guy with a normal punch knocking him out.

Edit: The one with taking a single punch was where he tried "Look away!"

Second edit: Ah, okay, he didn't say anything about winning in one punch, he just went BEETLE'S UPPERCUT for like 12 times in a row and ends up clocking the guy with a regular punch, oneshotting him.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 1, 2010

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I hope we'll see more Takamura rising through the weight classes soon.

Because i'm so very sure that the heavyweight champ will be some kind of Nikolai Valujev expy. And it will be AWESOME

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
906 is up. I really hope that 30 seconds isn't enough for Itagaki to beat Karasawa, even if he has learned a lesson and has put his serious face on.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

907 Raw is up.

Anyone who said they were enjoying the direction this was headed will be sorely upset. Itagaki just turned on god mode again.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
Did he actually kick enough rear end to make his timeline, did he flat out win, or is there even the slightest chance of his humility being turned on again?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

He runs circles around Karasawa, turns completely white, and the last panel shows Karasawa in the ring, but Itagaki is nowhere to be found.

He basically went Super Saiyan :v: Next chapter will probably start off with a Dragon-Chan style jump-kick

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Geop posted:

He runs circles around Karasawa, turns completely white, and the last panel shows Karasawa in the ring, but Itagaki is nowhere to be found.

He basically went Super Saiyan :v: Next chapter will probably start off with a Dragon-Chan style jump-kick

Will Itagaki finally become a master of zwee fighting?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

I'll laugh if Itagaki ran so fast he accidentally ring-outed himself

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
908 raw is also out.

more godmoding bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

frabba posted:

908 raw is also out.

more godmoding bullshit
Yeah, I saw it the other day. Was so mad that I decided not to tell folks here, because I know it'd only bring rage. Ugh.