Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
This was easily one of the worst, most boring AVGN episodes. Holy christ it was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch
Didn't love or hate it. Kind of sucks he didn't at least put more of his own opinion into it. The p-bag thing was pretty bad as well.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

RagnarokAngel posted:

Great review, only part I really disliked was the beginning where he talks about the odd names for zelda enemies. Naming a few would have been ok but he practically goes through the whole manual to demonstrate his point.

The buzzing noise for this part is really loving loud and annoying.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
This wasn't a very good episode. I simply don't think there's enough in the source material to do much with, especially as he apparently thinks the game is decent-to-good. It's telling that the only laughs came from aspects unrelated to the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Maybe his fans should ask him to review stuff that is actually horrible, like more Superman 64 and less Zelda 2.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Watched the first 3 minutes then skipped to the last 3. Did I miss anything?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I thought the review was alright, I had some nostalgia from playing it as a kid that made me remember it as being kind of fun but I never made it that far. I'm glad I didn't.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Policenaut posted:

Maybe his fans should ask him to review stuff that is actually horrible, like more Superman 64 and less Zelda 2.

He shouldn't listen to his fans at all honestly. Most people just parrot games they've only played briefly but are still mildly famous, or were on a top 10 list somewhere (I can only imagine how many times he's asked to play E.T.).

His best stuff comes from games that next to no one has heard of, and he has a collection big enough to pick one at random and do just that.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

RagnarokAngel posted:

He shouldn't listen to his fans at all honestly. Most people just parrot games they've only played briefly but are still mildly famous, or were on a top 10 list somewhere (I can only imagine how many times he's asked to play E.T.).

That's why I'm surprised he did it. He's been ignoring requests to review E.T. for years.

I think what people don't seem to appreciate that merely being bad doesn't necessarily make something funny to riff on. Superman 64 was terrible, but not terrible in a way that allows for much humour.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

That's why I'm surprised he did it. He's been ignoring requests to review E.T. for years.
He's probably holding off on doing that and maybe 2600 Pac-Man until a special occasion (like the final AVGN video if/when he decides to officially retire the character), or maybe it's just that ET is so well known for it's awfulness that he doesn't want to tell people what they probably already know about the game.

Besides, I found that videos like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties and Little Red Hood were funnier than a lot of the other videos because I never knew those games existed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jimbot posted:

James interviews George Steele

Great interview.

Hahaha.

Showing that to my mom. He used to be her gym teacher in high school.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Obeast posted:

He's probably holding off on doing that and maybe 2600 Pac-Man until a special occasion (like the final AVGN video if/when he decides to officially retire the character), or maybe it's just that ET is so well known for it's awfulness that he doesn't want to tell people what they probably already know about the game.

Besides, I found that videos like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties and Little Red Hood were funnier than a lot of the other videos because I never knew those games existed.

The problem is E.T. well isn't that bad. It's a bad game don't get me wrong, but compared to a lot of stuff in the late Atari 2600 era it was pretty standard stuff.
The problems with it and Pac-Man 2600 was the business angle. They literally made more carts than there were systems in people's homes, because they figured names like E.T. and Pac-Man would pull them out of the hot water. Naturally all this did was lead to a ton of unsold cartridges and some pissed off retailers who couldn't sell them and couldn't get their money back from Atari. When Atari went bankrupt they had to just dump the cartridges they had left.

Over time this has been confused with the actual game and people think "oh this game was SO BAD they had to destroy them and dump them in New Mexico, that must have been pretty bad!"

Seanbaby's list for EGM a few years ago is a huge blame for this.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
James shows off his movie-monster knowledge each Tuesday this month by answering questions from a horror trivia book he bought at a convention. First up: Frankenstein.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Great review, only part I really disliked was the beginning where he talks about the odd names for zelda enemies. Naming a few would have been ok but he practically goes through the whole manual to demonstrate his point.

Yeah, I actually liked this one. It wasn't that Zelda II was terrible, it was just difficult, and I liked that he pointed that out. Basically anything he does with the Zelda series is fine with me except the Zelda fart theme.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

The P-Bag joke was a bit of a stretch even for him but he didn't dwell on it, so was a good review.

The thing I found weird was the following:

He'd say: "And this spider-looking thing? Called a spider, right? NO. Called a Look Look."

And then it would show the manual, but on the first line of every description, it would read "This spider-looking creature...."

Kinda small thing to dwell over, but at least they describe the things on the screen as they appear. They just have weird names.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

The thing I found weird was the following:

He'd say: "And this spider-looking thing? Called a spider, right? NO. Called a Look Look."

And then it would show the manual, but on the first line of every description, it would read "This spider-looking creature...."

Kinda small thing to dwell over, but at least they describe the things on the screen as they appear. They just have weird names.

Tektite.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

I thought the review was pretty good. I've watched most of his other ones and haven't found any that I thought were TERRIBLE GARBAGE but sometimes I skip over the skits.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
It may have been one of the more juvenile things I've ever laughed at, but "Yeah! That should be the name of a band!" was fantastic.

A pretty good review. I always remember being really disappointed in Zelda 2, just because it wasn't Zelda 1 (and I skipped out on a fishing trip with my dad to play it for the first time).

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I liked the latest one. I think he tossed in that part of the beginning with the names because honestly when else would he get a chance to talk about the oddball names in a normally really good series of games?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Death Himself posted:

I liked the latest one. I think he tossed in that part of the beginning with the names because honestly when else would he get a chance to talk about the oddball names in a normally really good series of games?

Like I said it's fine if he limited it. Generally when listing stuff off you go with the rule of 3. Long enough to establish the joke but not wear out its welcome. If you do more than 3 you have to mix it up or people tend to get bored, and he kinda did with the "This looks like...like *ding*" joke but he went right back to "what's this? An X? No it's Y" format.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I dunno... His Superman 64 reveiw wasn't that good, I'd say. More average, really.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Anatharon posted:

I dunno... His Superman 64 reveiw wasn't that good, I'd say. More average, really.

I got the feeling he only reviewed it so his e-mail inbox would be a little less full. It was an alright review, but felt phoned in and didn't have that genuine rage that makes most of his reviews entertaining.

I'm honestly a fan of his reviews of "good" games like Metal Gear or Battletoads. It's because one doesn't have to hate a game in order to rage over things like questionable game design and hard difficulty. Just because a game is hard or has an annoying flaw doesn't make it bad, but you can still lose your cool over it. It's a side of the AVGN character that I enjoy seeing it.

Oh, and the sperglords that flip out thinking he trashed "their game" is always priceless.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RagnarokAngel posted:

Seanbaby's list for EGM a few years ago is a huge blame for this.

Long before the internet existed, we talked about how completely lovely ET was. My cousin had it, it was garbage, in elementary school, we talked about it, it was crap.

maybe the kids who were born after the NES was released (or in a lot of cases SNES) learned about it and hate it from the Seanbaby list, but it was widly known among gamers as the worst game ever long before it.

Hah, I did love the Zelda 2 review. My reaction was like his "Wait, this is a bad game?". I actually preferred it to Zelda 1. Truth be told, it's the last Zelda game I really enjoyed (I admit, i have no played all of them, but I did play most of them).

But he hits the nail on the head. Mountain of Death was insanely hard to that level. Holy poo poo. Not to mention even at our young age, we came up with the idea that link was getting his rocks off to restore his heath.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
The two videos where James is being asked trivia questions about Frankenstein and The Mummy are pretty entertaining. It's amazing to see how much he knows about the old monster movies, it's pretty impressive.

The only downside is the annoying girl sitting next to him shouting "HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW THAT!?" gently caress she's irritating.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I got the feeling he only reviewed it so his e-mail inbox would be a little less full. It was an alright review, but felt phoned in and didn't have that genuine rage that makes most of his reviews entertaining.

If he had played to the end, it would have been his most rage-filled review ever. Superman 64 merely starts terrible, and gets a lot worse from there.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

He probably couldn't beat the first levels.

I cheated past them out of sheer morbid curiousity. The later ones weren't any better... :cry:

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I disagree with the rationale that the video wasn't as good as his others because the game is actually a good game. His 4 part on castlevania was what got me into his videos and are still my favorites. Even the parts where he is talking about Super and SOTN are funny and well done. The video just needed way tighter editing near the beginning and it seemed like he just didn't have any good jokes near the middle. The ending was still pretty good, however.

e: One of the first videogames I've ever played was Superman 64. I was 12 or 13 at the time and had recently gotten a secondhand N64 and a bunch of games. I managed to get about halfway (?) or so into the game. I honestly have no idea how I pulled that off, especially considering I wasn't very good at videogames at the time. gently caress Superman 64. I just looked it up and I remember beating the Dam level and then trying this other game called ocarnian or something.

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 11, 2010

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

The difference is that the Castlevania videos made it explicit that it was James talking about a series of great games. In the Zelda 2 review, he's wishy-washy making comments about small, unimportant things. He's not really criticising it (outside of nitpicks) or praising it or talking about memories or anything, he's just kind of shrugging and saying 'well the baddies have silly names... I guess.'

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
An audio interview with Mike Nelson went up. http://www.cinemassacre.com/2010/08/12/mike-nelson-interview/

It's a pretty standard interview but a good watch.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Top 10 lovely Shatner Films. Not a bad waste of 10 minutes. Somewhat interesting, although I don't think I'm about to see any of these movies.

There is also his interview with The Night of the Living Dead cast, werewolf trivia and a a text review of The Expendables.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 21, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ronnie posted:

Watched the first 3 minutes then skipped to the last 3. Did I miss anything?

No it was rear end and some really stupid, pedantic poo poo. "On the world map cities are far smaller than Link WHAT'S UP WITH THAT IS HE LIKE A GIANT OR SOMETHING?"

Jesus, if that's the best you've got, maybe don't make a video.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Liquid Penguins posted:

An audio interview with Mike Nelson went up. http://www.cinemassacre.com/2010/08/12/mike-nelson-interview/

It's a pretty standard interview but a good watch.

How does one watch audio?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I'm honestly a fan of his reviews of "good" games like Metal Gear or Battletoads. It's because one doesn't have to hate a game in order to rage over things like questionable game design and hard difficulty. Just because a game is hard or has an annoying flaw doesn't make it bad, but you can still lose your cool over it. It's a side of the AVGN character that I enjoy seeing it.

Oh, and the sperglords that flip out thinking he trashed "their game" is always priceless.

I actually like his non-angry informative reviews (well, at least the parts that don't devolve into poo poo pickle jokes) the best, like how he goes into depth about glitches in various video games. I guess with all of the gimmicky "I'M SO ANGRY ABOUT VIDYAGAMES!!1" gag artists out there it's more entertaining to hear some serious, sober commentary which Rolfe can do well but usually doesn't due to his role as the Angry Video Game Nerd.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The problem is E.T. well isn't that bad. It's a bad game don't get me wrong, but compared to a lot of stuff in the late Atari 2600 era it was pretty standard stuff.

Are you kidding me? I've played E.T. several times on the Atari and I felt like I'd rather have a brain aneurysm than try and complete that game.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 22, 2010

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

moller posted:

How does one watch audio?

With an oscilloscope, duh.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Computer Jones posted:

In my defense he called it a "good watch," and unless you're into squiggly lines or they got the oscilloscope to play pong...

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
http://spoonyexperiment.com/

Spoony has FFX part 3 up. It is pretty funny!

Yzzerdd
Jun 19, 2001

Enter the Internet
Dude has become an arrogant douchebag I refuse to watch anything he puts out now, TGWTG ruins anything it touches with the exception of James and Ashen.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Yzzerdd posted:

Dude has become an arrogant douchebag I refuse to watch anything he puts out now, TGWTG ruins anything it touches with the exception of James and Ashen.

If we are talking about Spoony I agree, he used to be pretty entertaining but now it comes down to he is just a mean dick head. This most recent review isn't even funny it is just shameful how he tries "so hard to be edgy".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Meowbot posted:

If we are talking about Spoony I agree, he used to be pretty entertaining but now it comes down to he is just a mean dick head. This most recent review isn't even funny it is just shameful how he tries "so hard to be edgy".

I'll have to disagree with you there. He's usually like that in his video logs and twitter, but I think his videos are still pretty good. Especially his Ultima ones - which are informative. I like his Final Fantasy X stuff so far too, except the ending of the third (most recent) video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Hey, chill out, guys! Spoony won the prestigious Mashable Open Web Award for Funniest Person to Follow! You have no right to judge him or his inflated ego!

• Locked thread