Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

moller posted:

How does one watch audio?

By watching James video record himself talking to someone over skype, that's how~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I thought the FFX review was funny, and brought me back to when I first discovered him doing his SWAT videos.

As long as he keeps doing poo poo like this, and not whining to the YouTube commenter masses, I'm fine with it.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Meowbot posted:

If we are talking about Spoony I agree, he used to be pretty entertaining but now it comes down to he is just a mean dick head. This most recent review isn't even funny it is just shameful how he tries "so hard to be edgy".

Yeah. It's a shame how 'edginess' has been interpreted now basically as free-reign to be uncaring and unkind and act like that in-and-of-itself is somehow funny or clever.

Spoony can pretend like he's being a dick ironically or playing a character or making some kind of point but the truth is that he just is a dick: If you act like a dick all the time, well, surprise-suprise, that makes you a dick.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I think it's about time for a Spoony/TGWhatever thread. I keep expecting some new nerd whenever this thread is bumped.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
I dunno I think Spoony's sense of humour is more in line with my own than the Nerd's. Also he talks more about old PC games.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

LadyAnime posted:

Wow, swearing. This is hilarious.

The actual information he does give about consoles and games is good, but as soon as he starts with the terrible same expletives about poo poo, rear end, gently caress, or game villians coming alive in his house it becomes harder to watch. The anger is so badly forced and not funny in the slightest.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

bunky posted:

I think it's about time for a Spoony/TGWhatever thread. I keep expecting some new nerd whenever this thread is bumped.

I'll make it easy for you: there's only a new AVGN at the beginning of each month nowadays.

Honestly, I usually enjoy Spoony's videos when he's not doing a ton of sketches and TGWTG guest appearances, but just about everything else on that website is legitimately awful, and its fans are even worse. We really don't need a thread dedicated to that cesspool.

\/\/ Nooo my edits :(

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 30, 2010

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Enigmatic Cardboard posted:

I'll make it easy for you: there's only a new AVGN at the beginning of each month nowadays.

We really don't need a thread dedicated to that cesspool.
He does videos other than the once a month AVGN stuff. I think we do need a thread for that poo poo; this one isn't the place for it in my opinion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't know, I think Spoony eventually got the message, since he's done a few more game reviews lately. I also haven't seen any new Twitter blowups.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dominic White posted:

If he had played to the end, it would have been his most rage-filled review ever. Superman 64 merely starts terrible, and gets a lot worse from there.

I actually rented the game 3 times to get to the end. And when I did, I got to the maze and got killed in one hit by the same robot crab EVERY time.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

I actually rented the game 3 times to get to the end. And when I did, I got to the maze and got killed in one hit by the same robot crab EVERY time.

Of all the good games that were out by that point in time, what the gently caress made you think, after renting Superman twice, "I must rent it a third time! This time... I shall complete it!"

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I watched spoony's ff8 videos and thought they were funny, but he needs a 3rd party editor who is immune to his ego and can trim all the stuff he thinks is funny for 2 minutes longer than it is.

I thought that FFX video was pretty funny but there were a bunch of times where he would set up or say something really funny and made me laugh, but instead of moving on he repeated and explained the joke more than once. I haven't watched any of his other videos so I can't speak for their quality or if he really is a huge dick (which is probably true).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I'll have to disagree with you there. He's usually like that in his video logs and twitter, but I think his videos are still pretty good. Especially his Ultima ones - which are informative. I like his Final Fantasy X stuff so far too, except the ending of the third (most recent) video.

The last vid was ok, but not my favorite of the bunch... but maybe that has something to do with the story apparently going really dumb and nebulous (I never got this far in the game when I was playing it myself, and the Al-Bhed kidnapping plots made very little sense) at that point. And yeah, skipped the ending.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why is the ff8 video footage the wrong aspect ratio?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ohnoitschris posted:

Of all the good games that were out by that point in time, what the gently caress made you think, after renting Superman twice, "I must rent it a third time! This time... I shall complete it!"

I want to say that at that point in time I only had a N64, and I usually only rented from a local store, and finally I liked punching dudes.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

bunky posted:

He does videos other than the once a month AVGN stuff. I think we do need a thread for that poo poo; this one isn't the place for it in my opinion.

Honestly, I usually enjoy Spoony's videos when he's not doing a ton of sketches and TGWTG guest appearances, but just about everything else on that website is legitimately awful, and its fans are even worse. We really don't need a thread dedicated to that cesspool.

There's been such a thread for about two and a half months now.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

A good poster posted:

There's been such a thread for about two and a half months now.

Huh. That's news to me.

Considering I don't like the vast majority of those reviewers, it's not really good news.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Huh. That's news to me.

Considering I don't like the vast majority of those reviewers, it's not really good news.

Great avatar/post combo.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Liquid Penguins posted:

I watched spoony's ff8 videos and thought they were funny, but he needs a 3rd party editor who is immune to his ego and can trim all the stuff he thinks is funny for 2 minutes longer than it is.

And all the poo poo characters he does too. OH WOW DOCTOR INSANO THAT IS FRESH MATERIAL! A mad scientist who yells gibberish, you say? Give this man a web award! Oh they did already? Well poo poo.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~
As far as original content is concerned, it feels like Spoony/TGWTG and the like have a lot to learn from James's style. As an example, compare Nostagia Critic's Halloween '08 special with the Board James of Mr. Bucket.

Though both features revolve around crazy toys that chase their owners around the house, the first one kicks itself off with a premise motivated entirely by the host's vanity (it hinges on someone thinking his reviews are actually important); it could have used at least a little more work, especially with the script. Jokes are lifted straight out of a Simpsons episode I'm pretty sure literally everybody has seen by now; the only distinguishing value of some scenes is that they feature TGWTG and Teddy Ruxpin instead of Homer and a Krusty doll. The second one, though it came well after the first, features higher production values alongside better writing/editing/pacing; it makes no assumptions about its audience, and can be accepted on its own as a standalone feature; it's just a decently-produced short horror film about a bucket that, uh, wants to suck on your balls.

To put it another way: When footage of the media being reviewed cuts to the reviewer's kitschy bedroom for some new material, James is the only reviewer who has me looking forward to whatever's about to happen. He's in a league of his own.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Cept Nostalgia Critic's came first so clearly James ripped him off. QED.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

And all the poo poo characters he does too. OH WOW DOCTOR INSANO THAT IS FRESH MATERIAL! A mad scientist who yells gibberish, you say? Give this man a web award! Oh they did already? Well poo poo.

I actually don't mind the Dr. Insano stuff in moderation, as in the recent FFX video, but he has a bad habit of going overboard with it, sometimes including it in full reviews (like an April Fool's video of Ferris Bueller's Day Off). It's a one-off gag character, not something you can crutch an entire video on.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Cept Nostalgia Critic's came first so clearly James ripped him off. QED.

Yes, originality is of the ultimate importance in game crititainment.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
There was a good (text only) post yesterday that I found interesting called "projects in the works." He briefly discusses Board James, Monster Madness, the Plan 9 Remake (he supposed to play a cop I think) and the AVGN DVD vol 4.

Coming possibly in the more distant future is The Blob documentary / tour. I'd like to see this done. I went to this years Blobfest and it was a bit rained out, but otherwise fun.

He also talks about a possible feature film in the more distant future, which he's mentioned before and I've long believed is a AVGN movie. I think he may have alluded to this possibility a few years ago and is probably working on a script, but isn't any further along than that.

http://www.cinemassacre.com/2010/09/01/6927/

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
and

NEW AVGN THIS FRIDAY

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
No AVGN but the Rolfe is teasing something to do with the nerd and Back to the Future soon

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I somehow YouTube-hopped into an Irate Gamer review. I'd never seen any of his videos before, and I was yelling at my screen for half the video. It was an angry review of Super Mario 2, and he didn't seem to know jackshit about the games. Nothing but contempt for the American Mario 2, even though he starts the review by saying he doesn't hate it. He knows nothing about Japanese Mario 2 or the reasons why it wasn't brought to America right away. And he apparently preferred his own conjecture to actual research. If you're a grown man trying to make an "informative" video, please know more about the subject than I did when I was a dumb 12-year-old.
And he calls Lost Levels the "perfect predecessor" to the original Super Mario. If you're gonna be wrong in the rest of your review, at least use the right drat words.

I went to go watch some AVGN afterward to cleanse my palate.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

It's time for AVGN to go Back to the Future... again.

EDIT: This is pretty cool, actually. In the first half of the video he's revisiting a lot of his really old reviews, showing off more of the games and being more specific about his complaints towards them, then the second half he does a proper review of Back to the Future II & III on NES.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 4, 2010

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Really liked the review. I laughed out loud a few times during it. The beginning is especially funny when he was talking about making Jason shoot first and all that.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I never played Back to the Future Part 2&3, but god drat does Part 2 look unforgivably tedious to play. I'm glad he went back to re-visit them because there was definitely a lot more to review.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What a great episode!

What is he hinting at the end? Any ideas?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

What a great episode!

What is he hinting at the end? Any ideas?

With next month being October, I think Friday the 13th might be a possibility. Are there more Friday the 13th games out there?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jekyll and Hyde?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Jekyll and Hyde?

I actually completely forgot about that video, since he never really actually reviewed the game. It very well may be.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I had the Amiga version of the Genesis BttF3. Once you got past the first level the game got easy. Level two was a first person shooting gallery, where you play Marty doing his '7-11' bit. Level three was similar to the NES BttF1 diner level only you're slinging pie plates at Buford. The last level was a sidescroller aboard the train where you go around collecting the presto logs needed to stoke the fire.

Once you got past that oval office of a first level the rest of the game was over in five minutes. I wish he'd been able to stick it out. They packed a lot of variety into those four short levels.

Now Amiga BttF2, that was a piece of poo poo.

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 4, 2010

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~
Anyone notice that this one sets video reviewing standards? The way he judges himself so harshly is like a guide for other reviewers and the people who comment on their videos: if the reviewer only shows the first few levels (without an incredibly good excuse for why they're not doing the rest), doesn't describe the way the game is played, and doesn't meet the video quality/appearance standards they set for themselves, we now have someone who can say with authority that they're doing a lovely job.

Aside: This probably has no chance of happening, but I'd buy one of those titlecards in poster form.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That last Back to the Future game looks like a lot of fun. I can't believe it never came here. Did that company just hate money? I mean it's a flippin' American movie!

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Lobst posted:

Aside: This probably has no chance of happening, but I'd buy one of those titlecards in poster form.

He auctions off a bunch of them (the originals) every now and then, actually. http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=angrynerdauctions&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I presently own the Genesis version of Back to the Future III. He is absolutely right about having to memorize the first level. I have yet to beat that stage and will never see the rest of the game it seems like.

My favorite bit is the in-game picture of Doc Brown and Marty. The good doctor looks like he's having a stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I definitely think the mystery game will be Jekyll and Hyde, and that would be great- his original review is mostly one long take of him ranting about how bad it was and then maybe two minutes of gameplay. It would be great to see him go more in-depth about it.

I'm also wondering who the mystery figure is in that last title card. Maybe Nostalgia Critic?

Mutant Headcrab posted:

My favorite bit is the in-game picture of Doc Brown and Marty. The good doctor looks like he's having a stroke.

I'm surprised he showed that and only mentioned how he liked having scenes from the movie. It looked horrific.

• Locked thread