Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Now that I need to kill some cougars, I can't loving find any...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Scarf posted:

(There's one in your avatar :ssh: )

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
:wth:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Scarf posted:

Try getting off your horse and walking. That usually guarantees a blizzard of cougars whenever I do it.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I bought this game because I had the flu and was bored. Great sick game since you can sit around on a horse doing gently caress all. Maybe shoot the odd bird or a deer.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Hal Gill username posted:

Try getting off your horse and walking. That usually guarantees a blizzard of cougars whenever I do it.

I lost 3 horses while collecting red sage. All wiped out by cougars which teleported behind me while searching for plants on horseback.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

One thing I don't like about endgame: I don't mind Jack's voice, but I don't like how he talks to the horses :( He's not very likeable in that regard.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What happens if You kill ross durring the last stand? I sort of killed a random troop rather than do some real damage

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mr. Wookums posted:

What happens if You kill ross durring the last stand? I sort of killed a random troop rather than do some real damage

I dont think he is there.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I dont think he is there.

He is, actually. I shot him in the head, but only managed the one deadeye before being killed. So either I didn't kill him, or for story reasons, he can't be killed?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sir Spaniard posted:

He is, actually. I shot him in the head, but only managed the one deadeye before being killed. So either I didn't kill him, or for story reasons, he can't be killed?

No, that's just a regular Bureau agent. There's 2 or 3 of them in the crowd.

Spike McMayhem
Jun 3, 2005

Mind if I rape ye, then?
So I'm moseying along, following the river when I come across an old cabin with a black dude leaning against a door frame, just chilling out. John takes one look and goes 'DANG, THIS PLACE IS DESERTED.'

Racist, they're people too. :mad:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

Ross isn't available for killing, but his partner is. He's still leaning against the truck when this happens, only to walk out of the crowd when it was done. His partner is on the left side of the crowd if I remember correctly.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
So I'm stopping over in Casa Madrugada to save at my property, walk through the door and there's some random cowpoke standing in my room. I go to the bed and try to save but it won't let me, so I conclude it's because of the npc in the room. He won't budge so finally I get fed up and shoot him and he starts flailing like bugs bunny screaming "Oooh that hurts! It's gotta be the worst -ouch!" I fill him with some more lead and he's still flailing but stops screaming. That's when I realize I'm in the wrong room :haw:

Spike McMayhem
Jun 3, 2005

Mind if I rape ye, then?
I have decided that the best part of the game is sprinting full speed into Nigel West Dickens until he ragdolls over screaming 'JESUS CHRIST MARSDEN.'.

I have made a game of counting how many times I can knock him over before a cougar rockets up my rear end. It is a very low number :(

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Scarf posted:

Cougars find you. In Rio Bravo, or in the north of New Austin to the east of Rathskeller Fork. Seriously, start exploring the mountains on foot and you will be swamped by your fellow brethren.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Cougars find you. In Rio Bravo, or in the north of New Austin to the east of Rathskeller Fork. Seriously, start exploring the mountains on foot and you will be swamped by your fellow brethren.
I think there's a psychological component, they have to know you're distracted or trying to do something else before they'll come. Try to gather herbs, work on some of the challenges, basically anything that's not hunting cougars. Before you know it, you'll be getting ambushed every twenty seconds. Every time I try to do something else "productive," it's cougars as far as the eye can see. When I was actively hunting them I could never find the bastards.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

That could explain why one just killed my horse, and nearly me, when I got to where I wanted so I could hunt boars. Took my horse down from behind and then took off once I fired a shot at him.

Also: killed a guy, walked over him with my horse. Bloody hoof prints :D

Vengeance
Jan 1, 2005

I'm A Good Catholic

A Quiet American posted:

If there are any goons who are looking for help with achievements, would like to help me with achievements, or want to shoot cannons at pubbies from El Presidio, let me know.

Peas and Rice posted:

I like it and there are some FFA maps in it too, but your mileage may vary. Chucking a tomahawk into some unsuspecting pubbie's back is pretty funny though. There are probably better ways to spend :10bux:

If you want to read up on the various boosting methods, check this thread out: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229132

I'm GT: vengeancegoon and I'm happy to achievement whore with you guys. It is pretty easy to get the FFA one. I got it by winning two rounds and having everyone quit and then just waited, and waited until a friend came online, joined in and I killed him :) You can do it with friends, just need to make sure you start in a pub game. I'm trying to get some of the co-op ones now so if you're down for co-op I'm all over that..

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Spike McMayhem posted:

I have decided that the best part of the game is sprinting full speed into Nigel West Dickens until he ragdolls over screaming 'JESUS CHRIST MARSDEN.'.

I have made a game of counting how many times I can knock him over before a cougar rockets up my rear end. It is a very low number :(

I like doing this with all sorts of NPCs, except with my horse and making it rear up on its hind legs and kick them in the face.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Premeditated Toast posted:

So I'm stopping over in Casa Madrugada to save at my property, walk through the door and there's some random cowpoke standing in my room. I go to the bed and try to save but it won't let me, so I conclude it's because of the npc in the room. He won't budge so finally I get fed up and shoot him and he starts flailing like bugs bunny screaming "Oooh that hurts! It's gotta be the worst -ouch!" I fill him with some more lead and he's still flailing but stops screaming. That's when I realize I'm in the wrong room :haw:

I did something similar. After pounding a couple of shots in the Armadillo saloon, I went outside to get my horse, which I had hitched at the post. Only it was missing. I looked east down the main street and sure enough there's some fucker riding off with my Kentucky Saddler not twenty feet away. So I pulled him off and got on. Then he did the same to me. This went back and forth a few times before I got sick of his poo poo and blew him away with my shotgun. Then all hell breaks loose and I'm getting shot at from seemingly everywhere. I jumped on my horse and booked it west into the brushy hills.

Then I saw the wanted notice for killing a law officer. Wincing with what was increasing realization as I pressed up on the d-pad to whistle for my horse, I saw his blue icon pop up on the mini-map. :downs:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Philip J Fry posted:

I did something similar. After pounding a couple of shots in the Armadillo saloon, I went outside to get my horse, which I had hitched at the post. Only it was missing. I looked east down the main street and sure enough there's some fucker riding off with my Kentucky Saddler not twenty feet away. So I pulled him off and got on. Then he did the same to me. This went back and forth a few times before I got sick of his poo poo and blew him away with my shotgun. Then all hell breaks loose and I'm getting shot at from seemingly everywhere. I jumped on my horse and booked it west into the brushy hills.

Then I saw the wanted notice for killing a law officer. Wincing with what was increasing realization as I pressed up on the d-pad to whistle for my horse, I saw his blue icon pop up on the mini-map. :downs:

Mine was similar to this... I was out in the wilderness for a few hours doing a bunch of gathering and hunting and what-have-you, and a guy yelled and screamed for help, then came running over and pulled me off my horse. Shot the fucker dead and got all :argh: about getting duped. Ran into a woman in her knickers asking for a ride, she does the same thing, I end up whistling her off my horse, hogtying her, and leaving her to rot. Then I run into ANOTHER guy, different outfit and clothes from before, who tries to pull the same poo poo. Shoot him dead through the heart at 20 paces and feel all :smug: about myself.

Then I ride into Blackwater and some dude is shouting for my help and before he can get a second word out, my LeMat had already put a hole in his face. Cue every single Marshall in West Elizabeth going completely insane on me and chasing me down. Shooting charlatans trying to steal your horse is a bad habit when it's really just a shopkeeper that just got robbed. :doh:

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Then I ride into Blackwater and some dude is shouting for my help and before he can get a second word out, my LeMat had already put a hole in his face. Cue every single Marshall in West Elizabeth going completely insane on me and chasing me down. Shooting charlatans trying to steal your horse is a bad habit when it's really just a shopkeeper that just got robbed. :doh:
For me, half the fun is in letting them throw me off the horse so I can shoot them in the back. Admittedly, if I started killing any NPC I thought might try to harm me I'd probably just end up shooting anyone who opened their mouths. It's a policy I avoid for my own protection as much as finding interesting NPCs.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
My first experience in this game of a random event was a dude running through the hills being shot at by two guys in dead of night. Me deciding I was going to be a good dude as usual in this game leapt to his defense. I whip out my carbine and plug them both.

That was two lawmen I should not have killed :clint:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm spending way too much time in free roam playing "Taunt the Bears" at Bearclaw Camp.

So far I've been able to get 16 bears to chase me before one catches up to rip out my throat or a wolf pack spawns out of nowhere. Then the wolves kill the bears. :psyduck:

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Vengeance posted:

I'm GT: vengeancegoon and I'm happy to achievement whore with you guys. It is pretty easy to get the FFA one. I got it by winning two rounds and having everyone quit and then just waited, and waited until a friend came online, joined in and I killed him :) You can do it with friends, just need to make sure you start in a pub game. I'm trying to get some of the co-op ones now so if you're down for co-op I'm all over that..
My plans to assemble the ultimate achievement whoring team are coming to fruition...good...good...

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

A Quiet American posted:

My plans to assemble the ultimate achievement whoring team are coming to fruition...good...good...

I'm at PAX all weekend but should be around next week and the weekend after for some achievement-whoring action.

If we can get 8 of us together we can all swap the Posse Up! Achievement too.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

My first experience in this game of a random event was a dude running through the hills being shot at by two guys in dead of night. Me deciding I was going to be a good dude as usual in this game leapt to his defense. I whip out my carbine and plug them both.

That was two lawmen I should not have killed :clint:

I did exactly the same thing. The second time that event came up, I tried to help the lawmen, but they went mental and started shooting at me as soon as I killed the criminal. I shot the gun out of one lawman's hand and he mysteriously fell over dead, so I decided just to tear rear end out of there and have done with it.

This game does some extremely strange things, sometimes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm at PAX all weekend but should be around next week and the weekend after for some achievement-whoring action.

If we can get 8 of us together we can all swap the Posse Up! Achievement too.

hell yeah, I'm all about this action here. Pretty much wrapped up Dead Rising 2 Case Zero, so I'll probably playing some RDR this weekend.

GT: Rudy Ruddiger

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
I'm in for some RDR this weekend.

GT: remmiz

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Hello I am an achievement whore and my GT is Sputbot

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
Hey, if people are going for achievements and titles, count me in. my GT is Antlio ( I'm in the metatags, as well).

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
I will be adding all of you for maximum achievement exploitation. I just paid the $5 for Case Zero though, so I'll probably be busy with that for a bit.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

What? Achievement whoring? Coolio

GT: diesel680

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Apparently I'm running a god damned bear sanctuary at my ranch... I swear I just counted 15 bears roaming my property.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Scarf posted:

Apparently I'm running a god damned bear sanctuary at my ranch... I swear I just counted 15 bears roaming my property.

Serves you right, you goddamn cougar! ;) You totally need to get on the roof and start some skinning. Those fetch a good price anywhere.

(Tell me when the cougar jokes get old.)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Serves you right, you goddamn cougar! ;) You totally need to get on the roof and start some skinning. Those fetch a good price anywhere.

(Tell me when the cougar jokes get old.)

Hah, who needs the roof? I was just running around capping them with the buffalo rifle.

The strange thing was that they weren't very aggressive. Just kinda lumbering around in the areas behind the house where all the rocks and such are, just on the border of Tall Trees. But definitely within the fence surrounding the ranch.

Edit: Oh, and when I saved and reloaded later at the ranch, it was the same thing... only this time with foxes. There was like a herd of about 6 or 7 of them just running along.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yep, animals on the ranch tend to be passive. I think I capped 10 cougars in a row after finding their spawn point. They'd just pop up, shuffle in a straight line to the fence while completely ignoring me.

Only exception I've seen are wolf packs.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
It's a cougar ranch, you idiots. Stop killing your livestock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

Peas and Rice posted:

Yup. The tomahawk is basically a one-shot kill but you need to be pretty close to use it, so it's good for a nice sneak in the back once in a while.

Are you sure that people who have the pack are still playing with people who don't have the pack? I didn't download it myself and I've never seen anybody use a tomahawk. Also haven't seen anyone use one of those Red Dead Revolver skins.

• Locked thread