Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Update: Replaced the two clamps on the BPV and I seem to have boost back. Not really sure because I just made a short drive to Home Depot to look for a 24mm socket, got back out empty handed, started the car, and found I was in limp-home mode again. I never did get around to cleaning the throttle body last year and it seems like whatever gunk is there gets exacerbated on cooler and/or more humid days...well, last night was a torrential downpour, so yeah.

Update the second: New clamps resolved the boost issue.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?
Just got home from picking up my new (to me obviously) MS6. It's a black sport, so nothing special, but it's fun nonetheless. The PO put an annoying BOV on it, and I'm not sure if I would rather just deal with it or replace it with a stock BPV. I guess the BOV is a pretty good one, but I'm not really the biggest fan of the sound.

I'll throw up some pictures tomorrow when I can actually see the car.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
A blow-off vented to atmosphere is stupid. Replace it with a nicer recirc valve so boost doesn't drop like a stone between shifts.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

stoko posted:

Just got home from picking up my new (to me obviously) MS6. It's a black sport, so nothing special, but it's fun nonetheless. The PO put an annoying BOV on it, and I'm not sure if I would rather just deal with it or replace it with a stock BPV. I guess the BOV is a pretty good one, but I'm not really the biggest fan of the sound.

I'll throw up some pictures tomorrow when I can actually see the car.

Are you sure it is a BOV? You can still hear the sound from a BPV if you have an intake. If it is a BOV you should get rid of that poo poo because it's absolutely retarded on this type of car.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009
drat it. My '03 Protege5 has begun some sort of grinding noise when I hit the brakes. It's not a constant noise (meaning the grinding noise isn't steady, it sort of pulses) and I only really hear it when the car slows to about 25mph and slower.

I've wanted to upgrade my brakes anyway (they've never felt like they were grabbing enough), so this is the perfect excuse, except I don't exactly have a ton of funds available. drat it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did the transmission fluid today, used three quarts of the Ford XT-M5-QS crazy poo poo and 4oz of friction modifier. Easy as hell to get the old stuff out, and since you can get at the fill hole from above with enough hose, easy as hell to get the new stuff in.

Longest part of the drat job? Cutting a 24mm socket down with a dremel to clear between the lower control arm and the transmission itself since I didn't want to bother ordering a shallow 24mm socket online. Which reminds me, I need to get some fiberglass cutoff wheels; I hate the useless brown ones, I shattered at least four of the fuckers.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did the transmission fluid today, used three quarts of the Ford XT-M5-QS crazy poo poo and 4oz of friction modifier. Easy as hell to get the old stuff out, and since you can get at the fill hole from above with enough hose, easy as hell to get the new stuff in.

Longest part of the drat job? Cutting a 24mm socket down with a dremel to clear between the lower control arm and the transmission itself since I didn't want to bother ordering a shallow 24mm socket online. Which reminds me, I need to get some fiberglass cutoff wheels; I hate the useless brown ones, I shattered at least four of the fuckers.

How do you like it? I could tell the difference for sure.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bovine Delight posted:

How do you like it? I could tell the difference for sure.

I haven't noticed a huge difference. I do have a sneaky suspicion, though - I've never really felt badly about my gearbox, and the stuff coming out was drat near the same color as the stuff going in - so I think the previous owner might've done the same fluid swap, except without the friction modifier because I think it's a bit quieter. No big deal either way, even if the PO did do the fluid, it was at least 40k old.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

Bovine Delight posted:

Are you sure it is a BOV? You can still hear the sound from a BPV if you have an intake. If it is a BOV you should get rid of that poo poo because it's absolutely retarded on this type of car.

Yeah, it is for sure a BOV. It is the only modification done on the car, and it is crazy loud. I took a picture of it just to make sure though.

I assume that those big holes on the sides are where the venting comes from.

Also, here is a picture of the car itself. Like I said, It's just a black sport MS6, but I love it so far :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stoko fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 30, 2010

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Well, I got pegged by some space cadet while on a road trip. I won't even be back home for ~10 more days, so I guess I'm extremely lucky it didn't come out worse than this:

Click here for the full 1024x765 image.

(You can't really see the damage to my car so well, but that's the photo I've got.)

I asked her as calmly as I could, "Why were you following so closely?" and she replied, "I was on my way home." I'm still trying to puzzle out how that answers my question.

I feel terrible like I betrayed my car because I was aware she was following at an unsafe distance (I couldn't even really see her hood in my rear-view), but when you've got to stop, you've got to stop.

It hosed up the looks a little bit but I think I escaped without real damage. Her car came out the worse in the altercation. Ultimately, I suppose it doesn't matter. Her insurance company will pay the small amount of money it'll cost to repair and everything will be okay.

I can't say I really look forward to driving from Albany to Atlanta looking like a jerk because my car is crunched up.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I haven't noticed a huge difference.

I'm pretty displeased with the gearbox in the gen2. Where did you get the oil and the modifier?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SynMoo posted:

I'm pretty displeased with the gearbox in the gen2. Where did you get the oil and the modifier?

Supposedly any Ford dealership should have it but rather than dealing with them here I ordered from http://k-mansparts.com/ - specifically this and this.

Beware, this poo poo stinks so bad that even without any leaking the box will still reek of gear oil just sitting there.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I'm pretty familiar with the stench of gear oil. Thanks for the links, I appreciate. This and the RMM from CP-E will hopefully make a difference.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Filing this in the same category as a mid-engine V6 Corvette: possible diesel MS3.

If only because with the amount of torque you'd have on tap from a 200hp+ turbodiesel, the MS3 would probably start hunting for trees even when stopped :downsrim:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Filing this in the same category as a mid-engine V6 Corvette: possible diesel MS3.

If only because with the amount of torque you'd have on tap from a 200hp+ turbodiesel, the MS3 would probably start hunting for trees even when stopped :downsrim:

Oh my god I would buy a turbodiesel MS3 so loving fast. They would have to make it AWD though, wouldn't they? You'd be pushing so much torque the traction control would either be barely able to hang on or would be such a nanny it would remove all the fun. Then you could turn it off, but that would just melt the tires.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Frosty- posted:

Well, I got pegged by some space cadet while on a road trip. I won't even be back home for ~10 more days, so I guess I'm extremely lucky it didn't come out worse than this:

Sucks to hear about your baby. Looks like it'll be a easy refinish job on the bumper cover. If you ever have any questions on the insurance end you can PM me, I'm work as a claims adjuster.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SynMoo posted:

The gearbox in the 1st and 2nd gen are the same gearbox, they are both the Aisin model. The gear oil does help a lot though.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Bovine Delight posted:

The gearbox in the 1st and 2nd gen are the same gearbox, they are both the Aisin model. The gear oil does help a lot though.

Yeah, I'm aware. Hope to get it in soon. I'll post a trip report.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Behold... the new HDR feature in iPhone 4.

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamn that looks good.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SynMoo posted:

That's a great photo. And I don't know why, but somehow having the front plate there sort of minimizes the car's :downs: smile.

Boogat
Jan 5, 2006

Oh, I am serious. Look, this is my serious face.
The front plate makes it look like it has a buck tooth though. I hate my front plate and wish I could remove it :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just can't find the love for the second gen. My biggest gripes are the hood scoop, the front bumper and the god awful seats. I love my alcantara seats so much.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I'm not a fan of the seats either. I've considered picking up a set of gen 1 seats one day when I have too much money.

The scoop serves a function at least.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SynMoo posted:

Ahaha loving that licence plate. Are you french canadian by any chance? (I know that licence plate says Maryland)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SynMoo posted:

I'm not a fan of the seats either. I've considered picking up a set of gen 1 seats one day when I have too much money.

The scoop serves a function at least.

If I ever wrap it around a tree you can buy mine. :haw:

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Ahaha loving that licence plate. Are you french canadian by any chance? (I know that licence plate says Maryland)

My ex wife was Anglo from Montreal. I loved driving up there with this plate. This is the third car it's been on. The border agents love it.

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma

SynMoo posted:

That still looks goofy as hell.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

the amber trap posted:

drat it. My '03 Protege5 has begun some sort of grinding noise when I hit the brakes. It's not a constant noise (meaning the grinding noise isn't steady, it sort of pulses) and I only really hear it when the car slows to about 25mph and slower.

I've wanted to upgrade my brakes anyway (they've never felt like they were grabbing enough), so this is the perfect excuse, except I don't exactly have a ton of funds available. drat it.

I would resurface your rotors, bleed the brakes and get different pads. The brakes on the P5 are pretty good, although I haven't driven on in quite a few years now.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

the amber trap posted:

Sorry I missed this post. My ex's Protege did this also. It's most likely the caliper guide pins. Clean out all the old lovely grease and put some fresh high temp grease in. Easy, cheap fix.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

CharlesM posted:

I would resurface your rotors, bleed the brakes and get different pads. The brakes on the P5 are pretty good, although I haven't driven on in quite a few years now.

The rotors were resurfaced about a year ago. I'm not sure they're thick enough to do again, but new rotors aren't a bad thing. I also peeked at the rotor through my wheel spokes (I haven't had time to actually put the car up - school started) and there are nasty little cracks that look like what you'd see from heat stress. Maybe I'm just braking too hard or too late, but it never felt like I was abusing her. The few times I really needed desperate, oh-god-I-have-to-stop-now braking, she didn't perform as abruptly as I would have liked which is the only reason (well, that and the fact that there are those stress cracks in the rotor) that I was thinking of beefing up the brakes a bit.

SynMoo posted:

Sorry I missed this post. My ex's Protege did this also. It's most likely the caliper guide pins. Clean out all the old lovely grease and put some fresh high temp grease in. Easy, cheap fix.

That sounds like another good idea. Now I just have to find the time between college and kids to actually get out and work on it.

Thanks for the advice, both of you.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Can I get some quick advice on purchasing an 07 Mazdaspeed 3 GT? I've been looking for one for several months now, waiting for an attractive deal to come up. Ideally, I would buy an 08.5 GT for the nicer interior, but I don't know if I think the extra cost is really worth it.

To the point: an 07 MS3 GT with 52k miles came up on craigslist for ~$13.4k. I contacted the seller asking for a VIN, maintenance history, etc. I got a response this morning explaining that the seller's husband took it to a Mazda dealership and they offered more for the vehicle than the CL ad was asking-- $13.5k-- but they won't be trading it in for a few days while they wait for some finances.

So, my question is, are there common things, specific to the MS3 to check for that would help me quickly determine if this vehicle is in good shape? I've driven an 07 that had, at least, an aftermarket intake and BOV, as well as a stock 09 GT so I have a decent idea of how it should handle and act. If all things go well, would an offer of around $13,600-13,750 make sense?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Can I get some quick advice on purchasing an 07 Mazdaspeed 3 GT? I've been looking for one for several months now, waiting for an attractive deal to come up. Ideally, I would buy an 08.5 GT for the nicer interior, but I don't know if I think the extra cost is really worth it.

To the point: an 07 MS3 GT with 52k miles came up on craigslist for ~$13.4k. I contacted the seller asking for a VIN, maintenance history, etc. I got a response this morning explaining that the seller's husband took it to a Mazda dealership and they offered more for the vehicle than the CL ad was asking-- $13.5k-- but they won't be trading it in for a few days while they wait for some finances.

So, my question is, are there common things, specific to the MS3 to check for that would help me quickly determine if this vehicle is in good shape? I've driven an 07 that had, at least, an aftermarket intake and BOV, as well as a stock 09 GT so I have a decent idea of how it should handle and act. If all things go well, would an offer of around $13,600-13,750 make sense?

Your best bet is to get a car that is as close to stock is you can find. Then again this applies to any kind of sporty car out there, be it a Mustang or a turbo Subaru, or what ever.
I know it's not the case of this particular example but if you do find an MS3 with a BOV or any other kind of modification that has a detrimental effect on performance you should run for the hills.I would definitely make sure to get the GT since it has the better headlights and in my opinion that's worth the extra money.
Basically just check all the normal wear items like brakes and tires and struts, etc. If you really want to be a hard on you could send an oil sample to Blackstone if the owner was willing to let you
Just out of curiosity what is the difference between an '08 and an '08.5?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Kynetx posted:

Your best bet is to get a car that is as close to stock is you can find. Then again this applies to any kind of sporty car out there, be it a Mustang or a turbo Subaru, or what ever.
I know it's not the case of this particular example but if you do find an MS3 with a BOV or any other kind of modification that has a detrimental effect on performance you should run for the hills.I would definitely make sure to get the GT since it has the better headlights and in my opinion that's worth the extra money.
Basically just check all the normal wear items like brakes and tires and struts, etc. If you really want to be a hard on you could send an oil sample to Blackstone if the owner was willing to let you
Just out of curiosity what is the difference between an '08 and an '08.5?

I definitely didn't want the one with the BOV-- with all of the cars that I've looked at I really don't want anything with modifications, period. (What's the deal with everyone and their mother painting the emblems black?) It also had a big dent in the --- whatever you call that length of the body under the driver side door, along with a new sideskirt to cover it up. And a turbo timer. The dealership it was at denied that it was ever in an accident and wouldn't budge on the price either. (It was a fun test drive, at least, but $15k was way too much for it.)

The changes for the 08.5 only included the GT, I think. They were only minor/visual changes. the cloth/leather seats now have alcantara instead of the grey/silver bits, along with alcantara on the dooor panels, and piano black plastic on the dash. Overall it just looks nicer.

Edit: The seller of the MS3 in question hasn't gotten back to me, and the price seemed suspiciously low for a GT with that mileage. I think I'm going to keep looking.

There's a dealership with an 09 GT on the lot that's a demo model. When I test drove it in July it had 3500+ miles on it and apparently the manager had been using it. When I saw it in the lot there were Whataburger cups in the cupholders and bunch of other crap. I tried get the salesman to come way down. After all, it's only a "new" car because it hasn't been titled. The mileage and wear on it already make a used car. Not to mention that demos are probably not treated that great. The price they wrote down was $22k-- which is about $1k over invoice, I think when it was new. But I had read on a few of the Mazda forums that people were paying $19k new back in 2009. I may call up the dealership again and really low ball them along with demanding an extended warranty, but it's probably not worth my time since I don't think they're all that motivated to sell it at this point.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 12, 2010

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I definitely didn't want the one with the BOV-- with all of the cars that I've looked at I really don't want anything with modifications, period. (What's the deal with everyone and their mother painting the emblems black?) It also had a big dent in the --- whatever you call that length of the body under the driver side door, along with a new sideskirt to cover it up. And a turbo timer. The dealership it was at denied that it was ever in an accident and wouldn't budge on the price either. (It was a fun test drive, at least, but $15k was way too much for it.)

The changes for the 08.5 only included the GT, I think. They were only minor/visual changes. the cloth/leather seats now have alcantara instead of the grey/silver bits, along with alcantara on the dooor panels, and piano black plastic on the dash. Overall it just looks nicer.

Edit: The seller of the MS3 in question hasn't gotten back to me, and the price seemed suspiciously low for a GT with that mileage. I think I'm going to keep looking.

There's a dealership with an 09 GT on the lot that's a demo model. When I test drove it in July it had 3500+ miles on it and apparently the manager had been using it. When I saw it in the lot there were Whataburger cups in the cupholders and bunch of other crap. I tried get the salesman to come way down. After all, it's only a "new" car because it hasn't been titled. The mileage and wear on it already make a used car. Not to mention that demos are probably not treated that great. The price they wrote down was $22k-- which is about $1k over invoice, I think when it was new. But I had read on a few of the Mazda forums that people were paying $19k new back in 2009. I may call up the dealership again and really low ball them along with demanding an extended warranty, but it's probably not worth my time since I don't think they're all that motivated to sell it at this point.

I bought an 08.5 GT for about 19k out the door (tax and everything) around a year ago. Vehicle was owned by Mazda North America for some purpose or the other, had around 15k miles on it. No mods, clean title. Had just a couple of very minor rock chips that you'll find on any car thats been on a desert highway. I think you could get an 08.5 or 09 for around 16k-17k now.

Private party is probably your best bet but make sure you spend the money on a carfax (even though it won't help if they didn't ever report the ax and just paid out of pocket) to help alleviate any fears. If you know anyone in insurance, see if they can run an ISO report on the VIN. Something like 95% of all insurance companies use it it will include if they've ever filed a claim on the car.

Comedy option: find a mazda3 SP23

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Bovine Delight posted:

I bought an 08.5 GT for about 19k out the door (tax and everything) around a year ago. Vehicle was owned by Mazda North America for some purpose or the other, had around 15k miles on it. No mods, clean title. Had just a couple of very minor rock chips that you'll find on any car thats been on a desert highway. I think you could get an 08.5 or 09 for around 16k-17k now.

Private party is probably your best bet but make sure you spend the money on a carfax (even though it won't help if they didn't ever report the ax and just paid out of pocket) to help alleviate any fears. If you know anyone in insurance, see if they can run an ISO report on the VIN. Something like 95% of all insurance companies use it it will include if they've ever filed a claim on the car.

Comedy option: find a mazda3 SP23

That's about what I expected. 16-17k makes a whole lot more sense to me than what people locally are asking for the 08.5-09. I think a lot of people got ripped off at the dealer and still owe money on their cars. (Sorry, for $27k you could've nearly had an STi; I will not pay $21k/take on payments.) I may shoot the dealership an email just for kicks.

I had a Autocheck account about two months ago that I was using to check cars that I was interested in, but it was only good for one month. If I find a good deal I'll purchase it again. Carfax has really gotten stingy these days. They no longer have the unlimited check service, and have replaced it with a maximum of 5 checks.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So who else would crash from being distracted by laughing too hard if you were to see this while driving?

On the plus side the price is still not too bad even after a paint job. :suicide:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

It might have a de-tuned MZR-DISI turbo?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
It's a CX-7 so it's got the engine. Painting a big "MAZDASPEED" banner on the doors is idiotic, though. Hasn't the boy ever heard of stickers? They tend not to gently caress up your resale quite so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Anyone have a source for Japanese market parts? Specifically, things like buttons, tail lights, etc.