Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The guy with the ? over his face is wearing a purple suit, Jason in Friday the 13th game wears one too. So I'd say it's a Friday the 13th revisit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
I laughed hard at the following quote:

"Jason shot first"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I had a friend in elementary school who had Jeckell and Hyde. It was just as bad as he says.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

tiberion02 posted:

I laughed hard at the following quote:

"Jason shot first"

The whole opening scene was a play on George Lucas mucking up the classic Star Wars movies with the special editions and subsequent rereleases, and it was fantastic.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
"STUPID PROCESSOR! WHY ARE YOU SO BLAST?!?!"

That was the best Nerd in a while. Bravo!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'm actually surprised about how good that video was. I thought he was getting lazy when I saw the title, but it was good to hear him say that he was gonna go into more detail about the games he talked about. :)

Wendell posted:

That last Back to the Future game looks like a lot of fun. I can't believe it never came here. Did that company just hate money? I mean it's a flippin' American movie!
I played it on an emulator one time (since I'm too loving cheap to find/buy a Super Famicom and a copy of the game on eBay) and it wasn't too bad. Like he said in the video, it's not a great game by itself, but compared to the BttF games we got, it's actually pretty damned awesome. I don't know why it never got a US release unless it was a license issue and/or they didn't think it would sell well here.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
It most likely had something to do with LJN holding the video game rights to Back to the Future in the US.

Tranax
Sep 1, 2008
LJN fucks you coming and going.

Great episode. I bet that LordKat's gonna get more than a few requests to do BttF3 on Until We Win due to this.

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

Tranax posted:

It's a drat shame too. Super BTTF 2 wasn't amazing or anything but it is a good game. It's a simple little platform game plus the cut scenes and settings are all taken verbatim from the movie. The games does have a kind of goofy cartoon charm that's oddly endearing it 'feels' like a BTTF game.

Pity this never came out over here and what we did get barely classify as games due to being nearly unplayable.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
This was great.

I'm pretty confident the next one is Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde. He covered Friday the 13th in pretty good detail (that whole episode was just a classic), whereas DJ&MH was really raw and really low on information for a game as truly atrocious as it was. It was barely a review at all, and that is such a uniquely awful game that there's a lot of comedy potential there.

Tranax
Sep 1, 2008
Yea I recall his Friday the 13th review being pretty comprehensive. There isn't much to that game at all, and it's all bad. But then really what else could he go over with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? It's a horribly bad game, and partially because of him many people know this(firsthand in some cases, I got the ROM due to his video and it's worse than having an image of Tingle loving a balloon tattooed on the back of your eyelids).

I'd prefer him to just move on with AVGN. I enjoy all of his other videos. I especially like the Trivia Tuesdays he's been doing, but I prefer the live bar setting rather than the podcast-type video of the last one.

That said I watch a lot of online personalities because I personally find watching 30 minutes of even Spoony ranting about Final Fantasy better than whats on TV, and almost all of them are very critical of their early work. That doesn't mean you have to dwell on it.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I've just only seen the intro but I have to post how awful that singer is.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Behonkiss posted:

I definitely think the mystery game will be Jekyll and Hyde, and that would be great- his original review is mostly one long take of him ranting about how bad it was and then maybe two minutes of gameplay. It would be great to see him go more in-depth about it.

Back when the Nerd was new, I used to show my friend some of his videos, but he wasn't feeling it. I told him that I had one left and showed him the one for Jekyll and Hyde. The Nerd's horrified monologue completely sucked him in. After a couple minutes, my friend hadn't seen a moment of gameplay, but muttered, "Jesus..." because he truly believed that this was an honest to God end-all tragedy of a game.

I think the way he looks so broken down at the end points to it being this very game. I can't wait.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I really enjoyed his latest video, too. A good amount of self-irony and a more informative look on the BTTF -games - not bad at all. It basically shows that the Nerd has evolved as a reviewer, and is willing to correct the shortcomings of his past.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I think it was one of the good ones.

I recently got back into watching through them all again and I definitely prefer the later ones :)

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Really good review, definetily one of his best. I like how he poked fun at his own stupid gimmicks, like adding a dance number in the McKids video.

Systolic Perfusion
Feb 9, 2010

Tranax posted:

I got the ROM due to his video and it's worse than having an image of Tingle loving a balloon tattooed on the back of your eyelids).

You paint a pretty picture.

That super back to the future game actually looked really fun. I hope I can find the ROM somewhere because I really want to play it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tranax posted:

Great episode. I bet that LordKat's gonna get more than a few requests to do BttF3 on Until We Win due to this.

Wait wait wait... who? What's 'Until we win'? Having never heard of it before, I'm going to guess that it's a guy or guys playing some lovely or difficult game until they... win? If so, I am all over this.

EDIT: Ok, I'm checking it out... thought it was more professional that what it is. Still, not too bad.

Also, anyone else pick up on him making fun of Marty having that 'constant leg-moving' problem? I am ashamed that I laughed. :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 4, 2010

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I somehow YouTube-hopped into an Irate Gamer review. I'd never seen any of his videos before, and I was yelling at my screen for half the video. It was an angry review of Super Mario 2, and he didn't seem to know jackshit about the games. Nothing but contempt for the American Mario 2, even though he starts the review by saying he doesn't hate it. He knows nothing about Japanese Mario 2 or the reasons why it wasn't brought to America right away. And he apparently preferred his own conjecture to actual research. If you're a grown man trying to make an "informative" video, please know more about the subject than I did when I was a dumb 12-year-old.
And he calls Lost Levels the "perfect predecessor" to the original Super Mario. If you're gonna be wrong in the rest of your review, at least use the right drat words.

I went to go watch some AVGN afterward to cleanse my palate.

You know, the thing that pisses me off the most is when he goes "I did some research." Yeah, as opposed to pulling facts out of our asses, like everyone else did.

The other thing is that it was pretty well known that Super Mario Brothers 2 was Doki Doki Panic. He's trying to make it sound like it's some unique fact that is buried.

But the thing that is just bad film-making was the whole "it's one player only spiel." It's not like Super Mario Bros. had a dynamic two player mode. It was the one player game except you just took turns. But even so, after he complains about it, he has to do a pull-away showing him playing and he's asking himself if he can play and he's like "Sorry, it's one player only." Is that really a point you need to illustrate?

So, this has led to me to create the Irate Gamer Drinking Game. Take a drink every time he says something stupidly obvious, fills time, appears on screen with himself, appears on screen with a poorly animated character, misuses words, makes nonsensical statements (such as the commentary about how hard it is to get health in the game, where as in SMB you just had to go around hoping to find a mushroom, or the comment that SMBA made SMB2 feel like a Mario game), steals swear-words from AGVN, rips off the AGVN, or makes comments about the games being difficult or hard that are just him being incompetent.

If you've watched one episode and you have collapsed due to alcohol poisoning, congratulations, you may have a drinking problem.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Systolic Perfusion posted:

That super back to the future game actually looked really fun. I hope I can find the ROM somewhere because I really want to play it.

I found it, but I'm waiting for AxeManiac to get back to me on if it's okay to post. I'm pretty sure it is, but I just want to be sure.

Edit: Approval! Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?5bmsqw1m11nkw91

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 4, 2010

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Mercury Crusader posted:

It most likely had something to do with LJN holding the video game rights to Back to the Future in the US.

LJN happened to be a subsidiary of MCA-Universal at the time, which explains why a lot of their video games happened to be based on Universal films. (The founder of LJN passed away a few months ago- although they were apparently at one time a respectable toy company, the first thing I thought about when I read the news was the Nerd complaining about "the rainbow of poo poo" or whatever he referred to it as. No lie.) Super BTTF2 was made by Toshiba-EMI, who I don't think even released games in the U.S.

Appropriately, this episode felt very much like an old Nerd episode- in a good way. It's the first time we've seen him be "angry" in a while, having a swearing fit and drinking beer due to the plain shittiness of the game in question, and it didn't seem out of place, nor was it overdone. Going "back in time" to games he had previously reviewed and making a few more comments was a nice touch- as the Lucas parody at the opening shows, this is a much better way to give his new thoughts than making a "special edition" of the original review. The bits show that James has improved a lot as an actor, critic, and filmmaker, and that Mike Matei has especially improved as a title card artist. The landing the plane in Top Gun sequence was great. A lot of people will probably think it was dumb and crossed into Irate Gamer territory, but I think it was done very well- he actually makes you feel suspense as to whether he's going to achieve his long-failed goal or not, then just comedically throws it out the window with an unexpected joke. (I'm reminded of when The Simpsons had a contest to create a new character only to have him killed off in his very first appearance- sure, it's a gently caress-you, but it's a funny gently caress-you.)

I hate to go back to He Who Must Not Be Named again, but if you watch his BTTF review (which also covers 2 and 3) and the Nerd's, you can see just how different they are as reviewers. You-Know-Who just basically says "this game sucks because it's nothing like the movie." The Nerd goes into more detail and explains it very well- the premise is like the movie, but not only is the game only slightly similar, it's also poorly-constructed and overly long. (Actually, it reminds me of Mario's Time Machine without the educational value). Nobody's perfect, though, and there was one oversight the Nerd made that amused me- him complaining about the whole heart thing school scene in the BTTF game whereas the instructions for the level clearly say "Break Lorraine's heart!" The developers just decided to take it as literal as possible by having Marty actually break hearts. But that's a simple slip-up compared to the mountains of oversights and poor research Boron makes. And to top it off, we had a nice look at a very interesting BTTF game most viewers probably didn't even know about, shocking both the Nerd and the viewers. (And am I the only one amused by an anime-style Michael J. Fox just for the fact that such a thing exists?) Not only that, but an enticing cliffhanger! (I'm going to guess that the mystery game is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, for three reasons: the original review was the very first time the Nerd appeared on-screen as a character long before James was planning on making him into a recurring one, the original review featured very little gameplay and was mainly the Nerd talking about why he hates it so much, and from that review and references in others we know it is the Nerd's least favorite game of all time.)

Probably one of the Nerd's finest reviews, and proof that he's more than "some guy who says 'gently caress' a lot while drinking and making poo poo jokes." The Nerd truly did take us back to the past in more ways than one, and much like that awesome DeLorean, it's a ride I'm definitely glad I took.

Also: in the future, every old phone number is now a sex line. Probably true and proven here.

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 4, 2010

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

m2pt5 posted:

I found it, but I'm waiting for AxeManiac to get back to me on if it's okay to post. I'm pretty sure it is, but I just want to be sure.

Edit: Approval! Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?5bmsqw1m11nkw91

This keeps with the spirit of our rom rules, since it is a rare and unique file of a game nobody can easily buy.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So what are some of AVGN's better reviews? I just got to watching some of his recent stuff, and it is all very enjoyable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Unlucky7 posted:

So what are some of AVGN's better reviews? I just got to watching some of his recent stuff, and it is all very enjoyable.

I like Battletoads, Castlevania 2, the Power Glove, Sega CD, Sega 32x

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Unlucky7 posted:

Everything, they're all good and a nice time waster. :)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Unlucky7 posted:

His Castlevania retrospective, any review that deals with consoles or really old stuff, Swordquest, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, to name a few.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
Batman part 1 is a good one to watch if you want to see him get believably angry (particularly about Batman Forever)

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
For some reason the Top Gun plane flying through the window made me laugh hysterically. Great episode.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I like watching AVGN reviews when it's late and I don't wanna go to bed quite yet but for some reason my internet connection will often suddenly crap out when trying to watch them. It only ever happens with AVGN videos, no matter if it's on YouTube or GameTrailers. It's weird.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Unlucky7 posted:

I've always been a fan of the Double Vision segment and the Jaguar. For some reason I just really like it when he covers consoles, even though it means each game gets maybe 2 minutes of screentime.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
His console reviews are great because they generally include a lot of history and background information, which James Rolfe is really good at.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Friendly Factory posted:

For some reason the Top Gun plane flying through the window made me laugh hysterically. Great episode.

I think it was the unexpectedness of it. I expected the typical failure + rage fit.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unlucky7 posted:

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is easily his best review based purely on how fantastically retarded that game is on every level and how perfect every single reaction is.

I'm also a fan of his look at Mario is Missing, only for the King Kong segment. It's such a perfect storm of illogic and he completely picks it apart.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I am very partial to his Ghostbusters trilogy, but that is because I played Ghostbusters as a kid and it was so so bad, and I thought it was my fault for not being good at it and figuring out what to do.

So many years later, and I finally got my confirmation that the game was nonsensical.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

RagnarokAngel posted:

I've always been a fan of the Double Vision segment and the Jaguar. For some reason I just really like it when he covers consoles, even though it means each game gets maybe 2 minutes of screentime.

I agree, Double Vision, Jaguar, Sega CD and 32x are definitely my favourite AVGN videos.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I really like his Nintendo Power and the many Castlevania reviews. They're informative and really interesting to watch, and there's also some pretty funny stuff with no gimmicks or guys in suits.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Enigmatic Cardboard posted:

I think it was the unexpectedness of it. I expected the typical failure + rage fit.

I think that's exactly why it worked- you're so invested as to whether or not he's going to land the plane and then all of a sudden it happens unexpectedly.

As for the "best AVGN episodes" thing, here are a few of my favorites (with personal comments where applicable) in chronological order:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the Nerd's first well-known review and a great early example of everything that makes the Nerd the Nerd)
Bible Games
Atari 5200 (a great example of how the Nerd can find humor in video-game related areas without even playing a single game)
Ghostbusters Trilogy
Silver Surfer
Atari Porn
Dragon's Lair
Battletoads
Milon's Secret Castle
Mario is Missing (the whole King Kong monologue alone is gold)
Plumbers Don't Wear Ties (his magnum opus as far as I'm concerned)
Little Red Hood
Swordquest
Action 52 and Cheetahmen
Game Glitches
Nintendo Days Re-Revisited and Back to the Future 2 and 3

Other great Nerd videos that don't really count as reviews:
Ninja Turtles 3 Review
Chronologically Confused About Movie and Video Game Sequels
Chronologically Confused: Zelda Timeline
Ninja Turtles: Making of the Coming Out of Our Shells Tour (Nostalgia Critic crossover)

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 5, 2010

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
And if you like AVGN, you may like Rolfe's other stuff, like his movie reviews, Board James, his Top 10 lists on Spike, his Monster Madness videos, and so on.

It's amazing how many videos he's made, and how most of them are still quality entertainment.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
In a perfect world, he'd have a TV show.

Nintendo Power is so spot on. It started off really good in the early days, but eventually it turned into a huge catalog with way too much time devoted to lovely games.

I remember that Zelda rap, or the horrible nintendo jokes. I'd love to see James do a video where he traces the rise and fall of Nintendo. in the late 80s and early 90s, NES and SNES just bent every one of its competitors over and had its way with them. But with the N64, it never really seemed as popular as the Playstation in high school/university. Everyone's younger brother had the N64, but everyone my age has PS's. There has to be a reason for this, and AVGN is the perfect person to explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If you actually care, the easy reason is that Nintendo didn't upgrade their image as they went. Like you said, you were in high school when the N64 came out, and that was when Nintendo started to get a reputation as a "kiddy company". People who were kids with the NES and SNES felt that they were now "too old" for Zelda and Mario (How valid this is doesn't really matter, it just became the belief) while the Playstation had violent and "mature" games like Metal Gear Solid and Twisted Metal.

Some other factors at work were that the PSX came out first and established some market ground before the N64 hit. Sony managed to steal a lot of Nintendo's support right under them, because Nintendo had some serious arrogance issues in the NES and SNES because of how big they were. They tightly controlled the stock of cartridges companies could buy to make their games, and you could only get the cartridges from Nintendo, which were often overpriced. Sony was a breath of fresh air because they used a medium that allowed FAR more space and were more flexible to developers than Nintendo's very iron fisted policies. When a lot of major franchises you relied on like Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior are stolen under you, people will follow those franchises.

• Locked thread