Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Rushputin posted:

Lazy bums just need to make an effort and learn how to socialize.

Alternatively: Demonic possession. Wouldn't even surprise me. Much.

I have an acquaintance who genuinely believes both of these. Basically, if it's a disability that she can't see (like a prosthetic limb), she doesn't believe that it exists. Instead, they just need to believe in Jesus more.

(As an aside, she also believes that 2% milk is poison, because it's made of plastic and is slowly hardening our bodies from the inside.)

Conversations with her are...interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Qu Appelle posted:

I have an acquaintance who genuinely believes both of these. Basically, if it's a disability that she can't see (like a prosthetic limb), she doesn't believe that it exists. Instead, they just need to believe in Jesus more.

I may have said this before, but it's pretty fascinating (and sad) how many of the posts in this thread are either related to not being covered by insurance (or not having any) or to friends and family members opposing or not believing in medication or therapy. Always makes me glad to live in a country where treatment is affordable (it's actually an exception for me to get methylphenidate prescriptions as an adult, but even if I had to pay for it, it wouldn't cost me much more than 40 euros a month) and people in general tend to be much less stupid and fanatical about mental health. I'm sure we have our share of religious nuts and ignorant know-it-alls, but it seems to be much harder to run into them.

quote:

(As an aside, she also believes that 2% milk is poison, because it's made of plastic and is slowly hardening our bodies from the inside.)

She should be glad she doesn't live in Denmark. They actually have 0.05% milk there, whatever the hell the point of that is.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Finally got my diet under control. Seems the adderall isn't affecting me too much anymore, or at least noticeably other than the crying jag I have coming down off it. So I think I will up my physical activity and cut down on certain food groups that cause me problems to fix it.

Also no sugar peanut butter is amazing and I will love this forever on anything.

On the topic of "ADHD ISN'T A REAL MENTAL DISORDER!" I'm finding a weird trend where all these food scientists are claiming a yellow or orange dye is causing kids to contract adhd or something. I think it's bullshit, as I'm sure there are several cases of people who've eaten clean since birth, or that there isn't really many cases of "child suddenly gets adhd from vaccination!"

I think it's people trying to blame something rather than realize that feeding your child too much sugar, not getting them enough exercise, as well as immaturity all play an important role in misdiagnosing adhd in kids.

Your thoughts?

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Aculard posted:

On the topic of "ADHD ISN'T A REAL MENTAL DISORDER!" I'm finding a weird trend where all these food scientists are claiming a yellow or orange dye is causing kids to contract adhd or something. I think it's bullshit, as I'm sure there are several cases of people who've eaten clean since birth, or that there isn't really many cases of "child suddenly gets adhd from vaccination!"

So what if ADHD is caused by something in particular. We have medication and therapy to help the kids that get it, so until somebody figures out exactly what it is (which they may never) why don't we stop taking the approach that there's something wrong with you if you're not like everybody else.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

TheGopher posted:

So what if ADHD is caused by something in particular. We have medication and therapy to help the kids that get it, so until somebody figures out exactly what it is (which they may never) why don't we stop taking the approach that there's something wrong with you if you're not like everybody else.

Well it's more the fact that "adult" adhd doesn't exist; It's just adults who are diagnosed later in life versus others who's symptoms show off very early. If food dye does cause kids to catch adhd like some sort of weird autism causing vaccine, then why aren't adults getting it from eating the food dyes?

It just doesn't sound like it stands up. If anything, it sounds like the sugars in the food alongside the dyes might be the bigger problem, or that there really isn't a link.

Also, therapy and medication is so drat expensive. I'm pretty drat unhappy about the money sink medication, therapy, books, and all that jazz cost; you probably know that pain too. It's also the fact that this isn't a short term, take a few months meds and be a-ok for life.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

TheGopher posted:

If there's nothing "wrong" with ADHD, then there's no reason for the diagnosis to exist, for it to be a disability, or for it to be treated with controlled substances. Unless by wrong you specifically meant "immoral".

Edit: amoral->immoral

Kylra fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 7, 2010

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Kylra posted:

If there's nothing "wrong" with ADHD, then there's no reason for the diagnosis to exist, for it to be a disability, or for it to be treated with controlled substances. Unless by wrong you specifically meant "amoral".

Sorry that post came out way more hostile than I meant it to, and it wasn't directed at anybody. I'm not really what you mean by amoral here, because I don't know if you're saying my usage of 'wrong' should be literally substituted with 'amoral' or if you mean it's wrong from a moral perspective. I'm guessing it's the later, and that is what I meant.

Aculard posted:

Also, therapy and medication is so drat expensive. I'm pretty drat unhappy about the money sink medication, therapy, books, and all that jazz cost; you probably know that pain too. It's also the fact that this isn't a short term, take a few months meds and be a-ok for life.

I totally feel for you, and it's ridiculous that for most people some medical treatments are completely out of reach, even when they are by no means poor. It's like you're not insured/rich enough to pay for your treatments, but you're not poor enough to get a handout, nor would you expect one.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

TheGopher posted:

Sorry that post came out way more hostile than I meant it to, and it wasn't directed at anybody. I'm not really what you mean by amoral here, because I don't know if you're saying my usage of 'wrong' should be literally substituted with 'amoral' or if you mean it's wrong from a moral perspective. I'm guessing it's the later, and that is what I meant.

I meant immoral.

Possibly NMS concept ahead for immorality if you like puppies.

1+1=3 is wrong in a factual or "just is" type way. Ripping a puppy apart limb by limb just for fun is wrong in an immoral way. People with ADHD are technically "wrong" in the sense that people that think 1+1=3 is correct are wrong or else it wouldn't be a disorder, but I don't think it is "wrong" as in immoral like tearing apart a puppy. Many people (in my experience) think people with ADHD are immoral though (lazy, worthless bums are just selfishly leeching/not living up to their potential/being reckless because they're bad people).

To lay out the two analogies:

There is something wrong with people with ADHD in the same sense as there is something wrong with people who think 1+1=3.

There is not something wrong with people with ADHD in the same sense as there is something wrong with people that tear apart puppies for fun.

Some/many people actually believe the latter (though maybe not on the order of doing that to puppies). I wasn't sure which one you meant exactly when you first posted it.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Kylra posted:

stuff

I think you might be overreading into what I'm saying a bit. I'm not being so specific about it, but there definitely is a negative stigma for people with mental diseases whether they're diagnosed or not. Most of the time it's not, "Well I guess Timmy is a little different, albeit frustrating at times," it's, "Why is little Timmy not like all the other kids? What's wrong with him?"

Yes, obviously there is something not right in ADHD brains compared to normal brains, but it sure as hell isn't "wrong" whether you're looking at it from a scientific or moral standpoint. Seems wrong to me that some people can sit in a chair for 8 hours a day and fill out paperwork and not get distracted by something way more interesting. I mean, how crazy is it that you can do the most boring thing in the world and never once let yourself get pulled away by something more interesting?

We're just different, and luckily we can temporarily fit into the mold of day-to-day drudgery with some help from medication and therapy (at least most of us can, for those of you who don't respond to medication, I'm sorry), but it's a means to an end, not the definition of how life should be lived. I would never, ever trade in my ADHD, now that I am more successful at work with medication, and I can't imagine living life without it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Rushputin posted:

She should be glad she doesn't live in Denmark. They actually have 0.05% milk there, whatever the hell the point of that is.

Yeah, I have no idea what goes on in her brain - and I'm OK with that.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Effexxor posted:

Woo! I just reread it myself, I forgot how good it is. Look for a psychiatrist that tells it to you straight, aka won't sugar coat everything, and someone with a lot of experience with stimulants and other ADHD meds. They should also be familiar with the newest data and medications, and should answer you fully when you ask about what the meds are like. Also, they should want to see you back a month after you first start taking the meds, because they have to make sure you're doing well on the medication.

Edit: Also, I had a really interesting conversation with a stereotypically ADHD friend of my boyfriend. The strangest thing for me was that he was completely against taking 'chemicals' and yet drinks caffeine to calm down and alcohol to 'make his mind just stop for a while'.

Thanks for this, I will make sure I do this, is there any types of questions I should be asking to see if me and the psychiatrist is a good fit? I just never liked the idea of taking a pill and it changing how I act. I am not sure why I feel this way, but it is just how I do. I drink lots of caffeine and some alcohol but I just look at it differently, and I don't drink those 2 to help with my ADHD.

I received some research notes on some local centers around me that accept my insurance and can provide treatments for ADHD. Now I just need to figure out if I really want to make this call....

Has anyone ever attended a CHADD organization meeting? I was given the name of the person who runs the chapter in my city and their website. Seems like a pretty legit place and was wondering if anyone here has used it?

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

fyallm posted:

Thanks for this, I will make sure I do this, is there any types of questions I should be asking to see if me and the psychiatrist is a good fit? I just never liked the idea of taking a pill and it changing how I act. I am not sure why I feel this way, but it is just how I do. I drink lots of caffeine and some alcohol but I just look at it differently, and I don't drink those 2 to help with my ADHD.

I received some research notes on some local centers around me that accept my insurance and can provide treatments for ADHD. Now I just need to figure out if I really want to make this call....

Has anyone ever attended a CHADD organization meeting? I was given the name of the person who runs the chapter in my city and their website. Seems like a pretty legit place and was wondering if anyone here has used it?

You don't want to even see how medication works before you write it off? That seems pretty silly. Sounds like you just want to be stubborn, and it's easier to say you don't need a pill when you can just "man up" and not be one of those people that needs medication.

If you've read through this topic, not only I but tons of other people have said the difference between being on and off medication is the difference between night and day. It's like trying to explain to somebody what it's like to be drunk if they've never had a drink before, although this isn't about recreational abuse of a substance. There's people in this topic who have complained about feeling like a zombie on some meds, and they switched to medications that worked better.

Personally, my personality hasn't changed at all, and I'm a calmer, more patient person like I've always wanted to be, and it's really, really nice. In terms of how I work and am able to approach every day situations? Tremendous improvement and it is the greatest thing in the world.

Now if only the stupid secretary for my doc will call me back so I can get my script refilled tomorrow so I'm not screwed on Friday without meds.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

TheGopher posted:

You don't want to even see how medication works before you write it off? That seems pretty silly. Sounds like you just want to be stubborn, and it's easier to say you don't need a pill when you can just "man up" and not be one of those people that needs medication.

I said that is how I feel, but 1 page back I said I was going to look into finding someone and maybe talk to them about medication, thanks.

quote:

If you've read through this topic, not only I but tons of other people have said the difference between being on and off medication is the difference between night and day. It's like trying to explain to somebody what it's like to be drunk if they've never had a drink before, although this isn't about recreational abuse of a substance. There's people in this topic who have complained about feeling like a zombie on some meds, and they switched to medications that worked better.

I have, hence me saying I am going to go and talk to them. Should be interesting.

I really am curious if anyone has been to CHADD and if it helped, and what should I be asking the first time I meet my psychiatrist?

fyallm fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 8, 2010

RandomJapaneseGirl
Jul 7, 2010

fyallm posted:

You should ask if the psychiatrist is familiar with the medicated and non-medicated treatment of adult ADD. If they aren't, keep looking until you find one - and make sure you're comfortable with them.

It is important that you not take any medication if you aren't OK with the idea. However, you should really examine WHY you aren't so keen on it. For me, it was the crap my mother had drilled into my head that had me scared of taking any medication. I'm so bloody happy I was able to push through that and say, "well, let's give this a shot" - I really really wish I had been able to do this 20 years ago.

Not everyone with ADD needs medication to treat it - however it can be the most effective treatment you can get - if there's a medication that works well for you. You mentioned upthread that your girlfriend was giving you tips from a book - I highly suggest you grab a copy of "Delivered from Distraction" for yourself, it does a great job of addressing the medication/non-medication issue. (I don't know if the first book, "Driven to Distraction" talks about that - I haven't read it yet.)

As for CHADD, the organization is one that Dr. Hallowell mentions as a good resource - if I had a local branch, I'd check them out.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

RandomJapaneseGirl posted:

You should ask if the psychiatrist is familiar with the medicated and non-medicated treatment of adult ADD. If they aren't, keep looking until you find one - and make sure you're comfortable with them.

Thanks, this helps!

quote:

It is important that you not take any medication if you aren't OK with the idea. However, you should really examine WHY you aren't so keen on it. For me, it was the crap my mother had drilled into my head that had me scared of taking any medication. I'm so bloody happy I was able to push through that and say, "well, let's give this a shot" - I really really wish I had been able to do this 20 years ago.

I just don't really like the idea behind taking a pill and it changing how I act/feel , it is just very awkward to me. I don't really know how else to explain it. My mom is a nurse, so I dunno if that effects it or not.

quote:

Not everyone with ADD needs medication to treat it - however it can be the most effective treatment you can get - if there's a medication that works well for you. You mentioned upthread that your girlfriend was giving you tips from a book - I highly suggest you grab a copy of "Delivered from Distraction" for yourself, it does a great job of addressing the medication/non-medication issue. (I don't know if the first book, "Driven to Distraction" talks about that - I haven't read it yet.)

What I was mentioning was we both read Delivered from Distraction and she took notes to help me with things around the house or whatnot. Thanks for the suggestion, I took someone elses advice on it, way eariler in the thread.

quote:

As for CHADD, the organization is one that Dr. Hallowell mentions as a good resource - if I had a local branch, I'd check them out.

Thanks, they have some speakers coming up, I think I will attend one or two sessions.
[/quote]

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

fyallm posted:

You should ask them about how long they've medicated patients with ADHD, what all of your otpions are and why they think a medication should specifically work for you, but really the most important thing is just seeing how they talk to you. Do they seem like they're being patronizing? Are they intimidating in a way that you wouldn't want to tell them about every embarrassing symptom? Basically, keep in mind that this is someone you're going to be seeing guarenteed for a few times a year. You want someone that you feel comfortable with putting your mental well being in their hands. Also, if you have CHADD in your area, what the hell are you talking to us for? Call them, go to a meeting, they'll know who's good to go to in your area, guaranteed.

Do try medication though. I know that it seems weird, I know that it just doesn't seem 'right'. But it won't make you into a zombie. It won't completely change who you are. Just look at all of these posts by people with ADHD who are medicated, we're still rambling and going off onto crazy rambles despite some of us being medicated. Hell, I've been on Adderall for 8 years and I'm still hyper and easily distractable and super impulsive. But I can actually sit down and do something I don't really want to do. I'm not blurting out as many dumb things to people. My moods are much more stable and my anxiety's finally calmed down. Trust me, trust the other posters here, trust the authors. It helps, so give it a try. If you feel terrible and you've waited a few months, get off of it and tell us it's not your thing. But probably, you're going to find a medication that improves your life. Worth a shot.

I also call to fundraise for an organics group and holy crap, it never gets easier to hear someone talking about how preservatives cause ADHD. I remember one woman was talking about how putting her son on a no preservative diet helped her so much and that she didn't think it was genetic but you know, her teachers in school always talked about how hyper she was. If this woman didn't have ADHD and pass it on to her son, I will eat my headset. I just try to change the subject, but sometimes I do bring up the fact that my ADHD is managable and good because of meds and that most of my family members have ADHD as well. They're nice about it, but you can tell they think I'm nuts for 'ingesting chemicals'.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Effexxor posted:

You should ask them about how long they've medicated patients with ADHD, what all of your otpions are and why they think a medication should specifically work for you, but really the most important thing is just seeing how they talk to you. Do they seem like they're being patronizing? Are they intimidating in a way that you wouldn't want to tell them about every embarrassing symptom? Basically, keep in mind that this is someone you're going to be seeing guarenteed for a few times a year. You want someone that you feel comfortable with putting your mental well being in their hands.

Yeah I will be printing off this post to make sure I don't forget any of these, it is exactly what I was looking for.

quote:

Also, if you have CHADD in your area, what the hell are you talking to us for? Call them, go to a meeting, they'll know who's good to go to in your area, guaranteed.

I just received my 'research notes' back from lifeworks about what is around me and what organizations are there, so I didn't even know where to begin, but the company I work for is amazing, and I can't believe they offer this stuff to me. I will be attending a meeting/calling them soon.

quote:

Do try medication though. I know that it seems weird, I know that it just doesn't seem 'right'. But it won't make you into a zombie. It won't completely change who you are.But probably, you're going to find a medication that improves your life. Worth a shot.

Thanks, I definitely agree that I really need to be open to all types of treatments.

quote:

I also call to fundraise for an organics group and holy crap, it never gets easier to hear someone talking about how preservatives cause ADHD. I remember one woman was talking about how putting her son on a no preservative diet helped her so much and that she didn't think it was genetic but you know, her teachers in school always talked about how hyper she was. If this woman didn't have ADHD and pass it on to her son, I will eat my headset. I just try to change the subject, but sometimes I do bring up the fact that my ADHD is managable and good because of meds and that most of my family members have ADHD as well. They're nice about it, but you can tell they think I'm nuts for 'ingesting chemicals'.

I don't see any forms of ADHD in my parents, I wish I did, so I knew where it came from..

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Good to hear about your work being so supportive! That's a rarity, which is incredibly stupid because when their workers get onto medication they're much more effective. Remember though, when you go to psychiatrist, the questions are nice to know but they aren't the biggest issue. People with ADHD are notorious for not showing up to appointments, and if you have a stressor going on in your life it gets even worse. You need to feel comfortable with the doctor, and you need to trust them. Trust your gut. I've gone to the same psychiatrist for years because he's just that good, but I've gone through a few psychologists who have driven me batshit. I really hate feeling like I'm being treated with kid gloves and the wishy washy therapists have just never done it for me, I need someone who's blunt and will tell me when I'm being dumb.

Also, when I got diagnosed no one else in my family had been diagnosed with anything but depression. Then my Mom read the diagnosis from the specialist who tested me and couldn't help but see correlations with her and my brother. My brother, who couldn't keep a temp job for longer than a few months, went onto Adderall and immediately kept his next job. Mom is on Adderall and is finally able to keep to normal sleep schedules. One of my Mom's other siblings is a high end architect in Hawaii who is incredibly ADHD, and one of my half cousins is the very picture of the kid who has all the potential in the world but can't use it. But no one knew till I got diagnosed and my mom connected the dots. There's probably someone in your family who's impulsive and highly creative but has struggled to do anything with their life.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I've long felt that I've suffered from ADD ever since I was a child. I've always been very easily distracted and can't effectively devote myself to any one thing. I'm also quick to anger in that if one small thing goes wrong with my daily routine, my whole day is shot and I'm supremely annoyed with every little thing. My thoughts wander and I've had an almost constant inner-monologue rambling on and on which I tend to focus on rather than people talking directly to me. My grades have always been far worse than they should be.

My mother used to claim that she had me tested as a child and they determined that I had ADD, but she refused to medicate me and just never told me. Now she claims she can't remember ever getting me tested.

Anyways, the past few years have just been worse and worse for me. I forget every little thing, and my girlfriend says I'm easily annoyed. My grades have been slipping now that I'm in higher level courses that require a lot of reading and retention; I can't really BS my way through "real" classes.

The straw that broke the camel's back was earlier I was on the phone with my mother and I cannot for the life of me remember what she said. The whole conversation I was stuck inside my head again listening to my stupid little thoughts until I snapped out of it and realized I was on the phone and my mother was asking me if I was still there.

I called my doctor to ask if there were any specialists they recommend for ADD testing, to which they answered that they do testing in office. I decided to go check it out and see what I could learn. I arrived, signed in for ADD information, and was taken back to get my vitals taken (BP, weight, temperature). The nurses asked what problems I was having and I explained my situation and how I had dealt with it since I was a child and how it's just gotten worse and worse to the point where it's affecting my school, work, and relationship.

I was sat down in a room, given a clipboard with 20 questions asking me to rate my symptoms from 1-5. I finished, gave it to the nurse, and 10 minutes later the doctor came in, asked me a few questions, and said I was "pretty seriously affected" and asked if I would be willing to take medication. Assuming he meant to refer me to a specialist I said that yes, I would be willing to try medication if need be.

He left and a nurse immediately walked in with a 3 month prescription for Adderal, which was currently being filled at my pharmacy. I was taken to the desk, paid my money, and that was that.

30 minutes in a general doctor's office, 20 questions, and I'm ADD and have a bottle with 59 Adderal in it. I assume the process is generally more intensive and thorough than, "Hey doc, I'm ADD, make with the pills."

I'm still a bit iffy over the situation. I wanted to sit down and discuss my problems and possible solutions with someone a bit more qualified. I'm currently researching specialists in the surrounding cities so I can get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

I took an Adderal though, just to see what it would do. A 20mg tablet. I returned to work and immediately finished 5 projects I've been sitting on for a few months. I've got a ton of energy and this is the first time I've sat down for 3 hours. The inner monologue hasn't gone away, but it's really easy to ignore. I'm extremely chatty and outgoing where before I was withdrawn and spoke only when necessary. I've volunteered myself for 3 more projects around here. I have an unusual desire to go home and start working on next week's tests and I feel really... happy? I don't know if it's real happiness or a synthetic side-effect of the medication.

I'm undecided on the feeling. I like that I'm motivated and upbeat, but it feels a bit wonky. It's interesting now, but I don't know if I can deal with feeling like this all the time every day.

Is this just first use powerful, or will the effects wane off as I take it? Should I continue taking it before I see a specialist, or put if off for now?

TL;DR: Went to see personal doctor about ADD and had Adderal pretty much thrown at me after 20 minutes.

RandomJapaneseGirl
Jul 7, 2010
That's exactly how a lot of doctors visit go, they're (in north america at least) usually too busy to devote a lot of time to any one patient unless you can see a specialist or some such.

Yes, it would likely be extremely beneficial to you to talk to someone with ADD treatment experience - especially since you were never treated as a child, and you might have years of "jesus gently caress I'm hopeless"-type self-talk to work through. As long as the pills are benefiting you, and unless you are uncomfortable with them (or they give you bad side effects), I would keep taking them until you can see someone else.

Here's again where I recommend "Delivered from Distraction" - they talk about the need for a multi-faceted treatment approach, as too often doctors will focus on the "here's what's wrong with you" aspect of something like ADD, and not mention the strengths that can come along with it that are really good to find and nurture.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Man, 20 mgs right of the bat? That's intense, but if you're doing well with it, awesome. As for worries about the insane amount of hyperactive joy you're feeling, it'll go away after a few days taking it. Stimulants are kind of intense at first. So enjoy the rush of 'Oh my God I can do everything' because it's not going to be that intense tomorrow, or the day after that. After taking the pills for a few days, your body will adjust and you'll still be able to get stuff done, it just won't be as manic.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
How does adderal compare to Ritalin? I just know that if I took 20mg of ritalin I would be hosed up beyond belief. Some days I get really euphoric of my regular 10 mg dose.

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 9, 2010

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

larchesdanrew posted:

don't know if it's real happiness or a synthetic side-effect of the medication.

Real happiness is also just a synthetic side effect of your brain.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Effexxor posted:

Good to hear about your work being so supportive! That's a rarity, which is incredibly stupid because when their workers get onto medication they're much more effective. Remember though, when you go to psychiatrist, the questions are nice to know but they aren't the biggest issue. People with ADHD are notorious for not showing up to appointments, and if you have a stressor going on in your life it gets even worse. You need to feel comfortable with the doctor, and you need to trust them. Trust your gut. I've gone to the same psychiatrist for years because he's just that good, but I've gone through a few psychologists who have driven me batshit. I really hate feeling like I'm being treated with kid gloves and the wishy washy therapists have just never done it for me, I need someone who's blunt and will tell me when I'm being dumb.

We'll it is pretty much a general help site, and I could tell they didn't get many questions about ADHD in adults, but they definitely helped me out.

I am pretty good with showing up to appointments, it is weird, I think I learned how to make sure this didn't happen with me, because I always try and be on time for everything, it is so bad that I will usually arrive 45minutes-1hour early because I gave myself way to much time...

I'm not exactly sure what to even expect from the psychiatrist so I guess, I was worried I would walk in and just stare at them. It is crazy because when I was going into college I really wanted to go into that to help people, because I can read people easily (what the gently caress tangent is this?)

I looked up when the next CHADD meeting is, and it is pretty far away, they meet every 4th tuesday of the month and it says the next one is a Support Group Only meeting, so I will have to call to find out exactly what that means... I also plan on asking them what they think of the centers I was given from the research notes, so hopefully they agree that they are good places.

And about my parents, my mom knew the symptoms, and had me tested, but my brother definitely doesn't have it, and that is why I don't understand where it came from. I blame it on the hours of Counter-Strike, haha. My mom is really successful and retired, my brother is successful with electronic work, and my dad is somewhat successful, so I really have no idea.

My mom is still searching for the test results from when I was diagnosed because I really want to read them, I never have wanted to see them but recently I have decided I really want to see what it said about me.

quote:

and my girlfriend says I'm easily annoyed.

Is this common? My current gf says the same thing and I will agree I am easily annoyed with pretty much anything.

Also, when I got diagnosed no one else in my family had been diagnosed with anything but depression. Then my Mom read the diagnosis from the specialist who tested me and couldn't help but see correlations with her and my brother. My brother, who couldn't keep a temp job for longer than a few months, went onto Adderall and immediately kept his next job. Mom is on Adderall and is finally able to keep to normal sleep schedules. One of my Mom's other siblings is a high end architect in Hawaii who is incredibly ADHD, and one of my half cousins is the very picture of the kid who has all the potential in the world but can't use it. But no one knew till I got diagnosed and my mom connected the dots. There's probably someone in your family who's impulsive and highly creative but has struggled to do anything with their life.
[/quote]

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

fyallm posted:

Is this common? My current gf says the same thing and I will agree I am easily annoyed with pretty much anything.

Depends, I think. I can get agitated pretty fast when my meds have worn off, but when I'm on them I feel more stable temper-wise. I seem to remember having a bad temper as a kid, so I'm not entirely sure if it's a reaction on the meds wearing off or if it's just a characteristic I've got (and which is possibly related to ADD).

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Jolan posted:

Depends, I think. I can get agitated pretty fast when my meds have worn off, but when I'm on them I feel more stable temper-wise. I seem to remember having a bad temper as a kid, so I'm not entirely sure if it's a reaction on the meds wearing off or if it's just a characteristic I've got (and which is possibly related to ADD).

Yeah, I don't take meds, so I was curious if being easily annoyed was known to be prone in ADHD people.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
First full day on Adderall. Woke up as usual, ate breakfast, took 1 pill, and got in the shower. By the time I was getting dressed I noticed the medicine kicking in. It didn't come all at once with a bang like yesterday. It was a very gradual dipping into a state of... the only word I can think to describe it is "confidence." Very chill confidence.

I was very mellowed out, went about the morning chores which usually annoy me and barely registering any emotion other than a sense of accomplishment.

Work was a breeze. I usually have music playing and tend to dick around checking the news, getting coffee, running out to smoke, etc... It usually takes me about 1 - 1.5 hours to put workplans in the system.

I had no urge to do anything other than just sit down and do work. No coffee, no smoking, no music, no surfing. I simply sat in stolid silence, and did a quick, thorough job, finishing in a little under 30 minutes.

In class we were given study guides for an upcoming test and allowed to leave. I obsessively scheduled my entire weekend into my calender, and ended up staying after and talking to the professor for 45 minutes about EEG Biofeedback and it was the most interesting thing I have ever heard. I was completely entranced by her mouth's every shaping and massaging of notey syllables. It was incredible because this is the first face-to-face conversation I've had with someone that I have been able to remember what we talked about because I was actually able to pay attention.

Most interesting about the whole day, however, was my weight training class. I was severely into every single thing I did in the gym. I was excited, energized, and entirely focused on proper form and technique. So focused, in fact, that I ended up inadvertently doubling my entire workout. I got through my planned routine, and rather than head off to shower I made the rounds again. It was spectacular and something I wouldn't have been able to convince myself to do before.

I took a second pill after working out, came back to work, and have spent the last 3 hours going from "looking for a lost windows install disk" to "completely cleaning and rearranging my office," something I have wanted and needed to do for the past year.

I have to say, I am extremely impressed with how I am reacting to the medication. I was initially afraid either my heart would explode, or I would drift through the day like a sleepwalker lost in a fog. Though, the experience has been very positive. I can't really explain it. It's not like I have a sudden influx of new energy, nor is it artificially boosting my mood. It's like I said before: I just feel an overwhelming sense of confidence; like I'm finally a "normal person."

I'm generally apathetic, closed-off, shy, and a bit callous. But today I just feel good, like I'm ready to take on any task or responsibility and complete the gently caress out of it. I've been walking around with a goony smile on a face, and actually proactively speaking to people. I've even been a bit flirty. It's a complete 180 from what I'm usually like and all because I don't feel like an incapable gently caress-up.

A few things that I've noticed:
1) At the peak of the medication's effectiveness my stomach felt a little tight and I began to sweat a bit. I rinsed my face with cold water and the sweating cut back a bit, but I continued to perspire. I live in Mississippi and it's >90 degrees and approaching 100% humidity on a daily basis, so sweating is something I'm used to. A couple of big drops usually roll down my face and that's about it. Today was a weird, full-body, thin layer of clammy sweat I've never really experienced before.

2) I wasn't all that hungry at lunch. I ate about half of what I usually eat. I just didn't really have any desire to continue eating. I've got giant, jiggling love-handles and eat far too much, anyways. Good riddance.

3) The silence while I'm alone is a goddamned miracle. I usually listen to music or sing to myself to drown out the lifelong, constant inner-monologue. I tend to grind my teeth to the beat of whatever song, as well. Being able to sit in complete silence and clear my mind and pick out one or two thoughts to focus on is a novel experience for me and I'm beginning to notice my teeth being sore.

4) I'm uncharacteristically sociable, even with the people I generally don't get along with or just flat out hate. I tend to keep quiet around people because I speak first and think later, frequently resulting in embarrassment, hurt feelings, being creeped out, or all of the above. I greeted everyone in my way, finally said more than two words to the girl in my class that desperately wants me to notice her, and called my entire immediate family to see how they were doing.

Also, I apparently feel compelled to write the longest goddamn posts about absolutely nothing.

Bottom line: I feel like a new man.

fyallm posted:

I was curious if being easily annoyed was known to be prone in ADHD people.
Everything I've read has listed "short temper" and "easily annoyed" as symptoms of ADD. Personally, I have some semblance of a schedule and if anything disrupts the expected order of events, my day is completely shot and I am inconsolably agitated and annoyed, becoming extremely snappy, terse, and withdrawn.

It never has to be anything big, and in fact, larger occurrences don't typically bother me. For example, if I'm getting ready for work and the power goes out and my clothes are still in the dryer, I probably wouldn't get upset. This actually happens a lot.

However, small accidents ruin me. Say I plan to put in my contacts, brush my teeth, and take a shower. But, I drop a contact in the sink, or a squirt toothpaste on the counter, or the water turns cold for a few seconds mid-shower. These things will set me off for the entire day because it has put an extra step in my original plan, and somewhere it could have been avoided. And while I'm cleaning sink water off my contact, or wiping up toothpaste, or huddling in the back of the shower, the cat will start meowing and will not shut up, or the army of dogs in our neighborhood will begin howling at a fart cloud in the next town, or the gf will start calling my name because she obviously has some inane question or comment that could probably just loving wait until my entire world has stopped crumbling to dust.

And when it rains, it pours, because then I'll cut myself shaving, somehow get shampoo in my dick hole, my socks won't go on easily because there's one loving drop of water on the top of my foot and I'll end up stretching them all to hell trying to force them on, have to redo my tie at least 12 times because it's always either too long or too short, spend waaaay too long flipping my key ring around trying to find the right key to unlock the car because it's an old piece of poo poo I have to use an actual key to open because if I use the aftermarket remote the alarm will just go on and off all day for no goddamned reason, spend 14 extra seconds driving around road work, no one will drive the right speed and at least once I might have to hover my foot over the brake because someone's worthless mother didn't swallow and now the result of that miserable night of misspent passion has sub-par driving skills and has to come to an almost complete stop to turn and I almost didn't notice but it's all their fault anyways, and wouldn't you know it, I'm 14 seconds late for work. The day has been ruined because I squirted toothpaste on the counter.

I wish this was some witty little Dennis Leary stand-up routine, but this is a pretty typical morning. One small thing will happen, and I will become so inexplicably agitated by that one event, that every single thing for the rest of the day will somehow manage to piss me completely off. And the hell of it is, the poo poo that pisses me off all day is usually my own fault because I'm agitated in the first place.

RandomJapaneseGirl
Jul 7, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

:words:

I couldn't stop laughing - you could have been describing me just about exactly, both pre- and post-medication.

Welcome to the land of "gently caress yeah, I can actually get poo poo done"!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

It never has to be anything big, and in fact, larger occurrences don't typically bother me. For example, if I'm getting ready for work and the power goes out and my clothes are still in the dryer, I probably wouldn't get upset. This actually happens a lot.

However, small accidents ruin me. Say I plan to put in my contacts, brush my teeth, and take a shower. But, I drop a contact in the sink, or a squirt toothpaste on the counter, or the water turns cold for a few seconds mid-shower. These things will set me off for the entire day because it has put an extra step in my original plan, and somewhere it could have been avoided. And while I'm cleaning sink water off my contact, or wiping up toothpaste, or huddling in the back of the shower, the cat will start meowing and will not shut up, or the army of dogs in our neighborhood will begin howling at a fart cloud in the next town, or the gf will start calling my name because she obviously has some inane question or comment that could probably just loving wait until my entire world has stopped crumbling to dust.

And when it rains, it pours, because then I'll cut myself shaving, somehow get shampoo in my dick hole, my socks won't go on easily because there's one loving drop of water on the top of my foot and I'll end up stretching them all to hell trying to force them on, have to redo my tie at least 12 times because it's always either too long or too short, spend waaaay too long flipping my key ring around trying to find the right key to unlock the car because it's an old piece of poo poo I have to use an actual key to open because if I use the aftermarket remote the alarm will just go on and off all day for no goddamned reason, spend 14 extra seconds driving around road work, no one will drive the right speed and at least once I might have to hover my foot over the brake because someone's worthless mother didn't swallow and now the result of that miserable night of misspent passion has sub-par driving skills and has to come to an almost complete stop to turn and I almost didn't notice but it's all their fault anyways, and wouldn't you know it, I'm 14 seconds late for work. The day has been ruined because I squirted toothpaste on the counter.

I wish this was some witty little Dennis Leary stand-up routine, but this is a pretty typical morning. One small thing will happen, and I will become so inexplicably agitated by that one event, that every single thing for the rest of the day will somehow manage to piss me completely off. And the hell of it is, the poo poo that pisses me off all day is usually my own fault because I'm agitated in the first place.

Oh god this happens to me and it suuuucks! Just yesterday I was in my calculus lecture and this dude behind me was absentmindedly kicking my seat. I told him to gently caress off but the rest of the class I was unable to get the incident off my mind! Things like that just keep running around in my head, and the harder I try to get poo poo done, the worse it gets :(

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

fyallm posted:

Yeah, I don't take meds, so I was curious if being easily annoyed was known to be prone in ADHD people.

In my case, I wouldn't say 'easily annoyed' as 'easily frustrated', and that comes out as annoyance. It's weird - big stuff, like my friend 'forgetting' me at the train station one night and I had to chill out for two hours with a book and a Coke while she fought Downtown Chicago traffic to retrieve me? No worries, I'm cool. It's all good. But little things, like some guy in front of me on the escalator blocking my way to the underground bus stop at home, and seeing the commuter bus pull away by the time I get down to the platform, even though another one comes along in 10 minutes and I'm in no hurry? I WANT TO KILL YOU, STRANGE, SLOW MAN - DON'T gently caress WITH MY BUS AGAIN. I WANT TO RIP OFF YOUR SKULL AND DRINK YOUR SPINAL FLUID. (It could be argued that yes, I have issues, and I've talked about this with my shrink.) I don't get the paradoxical reaction, either - and I'm consciously working on reducing my frustration levels when I feel myself getting easily agitated. And you know? Thinking calm, happy thoughts really works!

As for appointments, that's one of the reasons I invested in an Android phone. I put everything - EVERYTHING - in Google, sync it all, and with important appointments, I'll set up to 5 'reminders'. It also helps in my head that 'missing an appointment = getting charged for it', and that's then money I don't have to spend on other, more fun things. That's a big incentive to make sure I have my appointments scheduled, and to actually show up on time.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Qu Appelle posted:

examples

I swear it is everything with me.. And it seems like the smaller something is, the more ridiculous it makes me feel. Like really something so little and stupid made you do this, or change the way you felt or reacted, wtf????? I really don't get it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

fyallm posted:

I swear it is everything with me.. And it seems like the smaller something is, the more ridiculous it makes me feel. Like really something so little and stupid made you do this, or change the way you felt or reacted, wtf????? I really don't get it.

Yeah. Exactly.

Especially the inexplicable reactions in situations where things could turn badly, quickly. Like that trains station example? Being stranded at 10 pm at an Amtrak station in downtown Chicago? Should freak me out. But it didn't. Maybe it's related to feeling in control, and maybe if you did something different, things would go better and you wouldn't be frustrated.

:iiam:

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

As for appointments, that's one of the reasons I invested in an Android phone. I put everything - EVERYTHING - in Google, sync it all, and with important appointments, I'll set up to 5 'reminders'. It also helps in my head that 'missing an appointment = getting charged for it', and that's then money I don't have to spend on other, more fun things. That's a big incentive to make sure I have my appointments scheduled, and to actually show up on time.

My motto is, "If it can't sync with google I can't use it." My entire life is run on google calendar appointments, and if I don't write poo poo down literally the second I am thinking about it I will forget.

I missed an appointment two fridays ago because I made the appointment while I was driving to get lunch, and thought I would put it in my calendar when I got out...stupid rear end in a top hat cut me off, gently caress missed that red light. Oh well, at least NPR is interesting... and there goes 90 bucks.

Oh well, at least I can afford it, but I wish I didn't have to.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

TheGopher posted:

I missed an appointment two fridays ago because I made the appointment while I was driving to get lunch, and thought I would put it in my calendar when I got out...stupid rear end in a top hat cut me off, gently caress missed that red light. Oh well, at least NPR is interesting... and there goes 90

I thought I was the only one that did this kind of poo poo. :unsmith:

Everyone always used to wonder why I insisted on having a smart phone and checking it obsessively every 8 seconds. Because I was always terrified that there was an appointment I was missing or someone called or texted or emailed and I forgot to answer.

Now everyone can't comprehend why I have the world's oldest phone and carry my iPad with me everywhere. Pretty much what TheGopher said, if I don't have a way of permanently recording things as they pop up, they might as well have not happened.

That and I've lost 3 blackberries in a row by keeping them in my pocket while it's hot outside. Plus it's fun whipping out an iPad in front of people and then having the first question they ask be:

"oh what's that? What does it do? Just about anything you say? Does it take pictures? No? Well never mind"

:suicide:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Qu Appelle posted:

Does the Droid's task list sync with the tasks on Google calendar? That's the one thing my Blackberry doesn't do, and it's not good. I'm thinking seriously about switching just for that.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Plus it's fun whipping out an iPad

Oh god, I thought I would never need one, don't even hint at the fact I might have a legitimate use for it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Does the Droid's task list sync with the tasks on Google calendar? That's the one thing my Blackberry doesn't do, and it's not good. I'm thinking seriously about switching just for that.

I actually don't know; I don't use Google's Task List. But, I can find out!

YES! It does! Through m.google.com! I couldn't really find a decent app that does this, so I'm using the webpage. However, because it's a page instead of an app, it should work with any smartphone with web access, and not just a Droid.

And wow - I was supposed to buy onions back in January! Oops.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 10, 2010

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

I actually don't know; I don't use Google's Task List. But, I can find out!

YES! It does! Through m.google.com!

And wow - I was supposed to buy onions back in January! Oops.

That settles that.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

That settles that.

I just added notes, which may factor into your decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

I just added notes, which may factor into your decision.

I still have to do a little bit of research, but I expect Google's features to land on the Droid before any other phone, so it probably makes sense.