Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

KozmoNaut posted:

Looking at a 2001 Husky TE610E w/ 13000km. The guy is selling it because of kids, seems to be fairly typical.

The bike looks good, with really low mileage, pics and description in crazy moon language here:

http://www.dba.dk/husqvarna-610-te-e-600-ccm/id-67852719/ (crazy-rear end Google translation)

Good starter bike or best starter bike?

EDIT: Ha! Google Translate translates the price to £, a mere tenfold increase in cost :)

Ser ret fin ud, Kozmo. Hvis du ikke kan finde andre til det, tager jeg gerne med dig ud at se på den. Jeg tror 29 kilo er en fair pris at starte med.

Hey,:pwn: Stop looking at me! I just called this man a fag in Danish, ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Blaster of Justice posted:

I thought we had established in that other thread that the permitted languages in CA are English and Norwegian (Bokmål, Nynorsk, Google Translate and Diner's Club/Discover accepted)?

I am confused.

Kozmonaut, for me the bike it has the one necessary feature of any enduro bike - electric leg. In addition, getting the dirt wheels thrown in is a great plus - if the dirt wheels come with the original front disc, you have it ready for some proper off-roading in about 10 minutes. Albeit it's a pretty serious weapon for a starter dirt bike.

Also, please post more about Danish bike prices. Those big numbers make our bikes sound cheap.

Saga fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 6, 2010

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

Kozmonaut, for me the bike it has the one necessary feature of any enduro bike - electric leg. In addition, getting the dirt wheels thrown in is a great plus - if the dirt wheels come with the original front disc, you have it ready for some proper off-roading in about 10 minutes. Albeit it's a pretty serious weapon for a starter dirt bike.

Also, please post more about Danish bike prices. Those big numbers make our bikes sound cheap.

I honestly don't have any plans for going dirt-riding, but that's still subject to change, obviously.

I'm not sure what the difference is between road and dirt wheels apart from a smaller front disc? Care to enlighten a newbie? :)

RE: bike prices, a new SV650S sells for 90000 DKK, about $15500. I think that's all that needs to be said.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 6, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I honestly don't have any plans for going dirt-riding, but that's still subject to change, obviously.

I'm not sure what the difference is between road and dirt wheels apart from a smaller front disc? Care to enlighten a newbie? :)

RE: bike prices, a new SV650S sells for 90000 DKK, about $15500. I think that's all that needs to be said.

You should do some dirt riding, it's lots of fun and you get used to falling off and going sideways.

The dirt wheels will be for larger diameter, skinny tyres with knobbly bits for riding on loose surfaces. (21" front and 18 or 19 at the back? I don't know TEs that well).

The front wheel will also feature a smaller front disc - big ~300 or 330mm front discs are typically used on dirt bikes that have been converted to use 17" wheels (cast or spoked ones) and road tyres in order to produce more brake torque, often coupled with a fixed four-piston brake caliper replacing the more typical twin sliding piston design.

The front disc, caliper and master cylinder set up for the average dirt bike is designed to let you use the front brake on a very loose surface without locking the front wheel, either by transmitting too much force or having too much initial "bite" when you first touch the lever.

The bike you're looking at has a big front disc and an adaptor bracket bolted on to space out the caliper for that disc. The dirt wheel should come with a smaller disc, and you will just have to swap wheels and remove the bracket to relocate the brake.

Its suspension setup may also not be correct for dirt, but there are different ways to setup SMs I guess (mostly like a dirt bike, mostly like a road bike, somewhere in between?), and it's not worth worrying about that for a bit of casual dirt riding.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

KozmoNaut posted:

That's pretty cheap. I was just drooling over a 2004 MV Agusta F4 750. The price asked is only 219,900DKK or $38,022. I'm glad that my tax is only about 55%, so I actually only have to earn about 400.000DKK or 69,163.6 goddamn US dollars to eventually pay for it.

We've got the little Mermaid, røde pølser and Prince Henrik though, so that kind of makes up for it.

This is a Rød Pølse:

This is Prince Henrik with bonus killer dog:

This is the little Mermaid:

This is pain:

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 6, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

We've got the little Mermaid, røde pølser and Prince Henrik though, so that kind of makes up for it.

This is a Rød Pølse:

This is Prince Henrik with bonus killer dog:

With that little handbag dog, Prince Henrik looks like he enjoys a bit of the old Rød Pølse as well, if you know what I mean.

My god, those prices. There has to be some sort of deal we could do. I will trade you one Honda cub motorcycle for large amounts of butter, pig products and legal title to Sandi Toksvig.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Saga posted:

With that little handbag dog, Prince Henrik looks like he enjoys a bit of the old Rød Pølse as well, if you know what I mean.

My god, those prices. There has to be some sort of deal we could do. I will trade you one Honda cub motorcycle for large amounts of butter, pig products and legal title to Sandi Toksvig.

Fun fact. That is no ordinary handbag dog. That little brutal bastard has on several occasions attacked privates enlisted in the Royal Guard and molested their legs. I wish I was joking, but I'm not. I have personally wiped the tears of a private Royal Guard member post meeting the handbag dog from hell.

Yes, rumors are that his royal highness Prince Henrik is more than just glad for Røde Pølser. Evil anti-nationalists claims he like them in all orifices. Literally. That is, of cause, only evil unpatriotic speak. I know for a fact that he only endorse the company of our beloved mother, the head of our nation, the lady with the yellow teeth that looks like a man, her highness, the Queen, our Majesty.

Prince Henri is excused though. He's not really a Dane. We imported him from the frog eating European nation about 40 year ago, and we've almost taught him to say "rødgrød med fløde". I know, but what could we do? Nobody else would marry the tall boy with the yellow teeth, her Majesty, The Queen.

I think I forgot to mention that gas is only around $7/gallon.

Can we return to my challenges about earning $69,163 to pay for an old F4 now?

(Some free world citizen please adopt me and my well behaving family. Save us)

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 6, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Move to the UK, we have free movement of workers in the EU you know. Like Prince Henrik, we always have openings for en god Dansk mand. :blush:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Saga posted:

Move to the UK, we have free movement of workers in the EU you know. Like Prince Henrik, we always have openings for en god Dansk mand. :blush:

All considered I don't think your first lady with the yellow teeth, Her Majesty, is much better than mine. Pudding is no real replacement for Røde Pølser.

How much is an Agusta F4 750 in your Godforsaken wasteland? How many lifetimes will I have to serve, if I drive it 10% off the speed limit in a remote northern village?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

All considered I don't think your first lady with the yellow teeth, Her Majesty, is much better than mine. Pudding is no real replacement for Røde Pølser.

How much is an Agusta F4 750 in your Godforsaken wasteland? How many lifetimes will I have to serve, if I drive it 10% off the speed limit in a remote northern village?

I don't know about an F4 offhand, but an '04-'05 750 Brutale can be had for under £6000 easily.

edit- looks like that age F4's are a little more, $7500+
double edit- zero lifetimes, maybe £90 fine, get caught doing it often enough and you might get banned for a few months and only be able to find insurance on a 125.
Or just go where the cops aren't looking.
triple edit- also, there are hills in the UK.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 6, 2010

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:bigtran:

Unfortunately, the guy with the Husky was right in the middle of selling it when I called him :(

But I'm going to check out an XJ600 on wednesday if you're game. I sent you a mail.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I don't want to derail the thread further with local/personal stuff, but I still want to hear some opinions :)

I've been riding this season on my sisters GS500. It's been awesome, and I'm really loving glad I got off my rear end and got my license. I can't believe I didn't really have more interest in motorcycles before recently, as they are a perfect alternative to heavy, bloated, expensive cars.

ANYWAYS, I've been looking at getting my own bike, and put aside a chunk of change for that purpose. The choice that looks "obvious" to me is an SV650S, but for some reason, people around here don't really think their bike deprecates in value, and are asking close to retail price for their 10 year old bikes. May be a local phenomenon, I dunno.

The other, more risque, choice I've been looking at is an '05 R6, but it comes with a few uncertainties: can I handle a proper loving sportsbike, can I fit on a sportsbike, do I want to ride a sportsbike everywhere I go? I guess I'm just sort of worried I'll grow "bored" of the SV650 and regret that I didn't just go straight for something more hardcore, but I know that I'm no where near good enough yet to say that I can ride the Suzuki at its limits.

Any input is appreciated.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Icept posted:

I don't want to derail the thread further with local/personal stuff, but I still want to hear some opinions :)

I've been riding this season on my sisters GS500. It's been awesome, and I'm really loving glad I got off my rear end and got my license. I can't believe I didn't really have more interest in motorcycles before recently, as they are a perfect alternative to heavy, bloated, expensive cars.

ANYWAYS, I've been looking at getting my own bike, and put aside a chunk of change for that purpose. The choice that looks "obvious" to me is an SV650S, but for some reason, people around here don't really think their bike deprecates in value, and are asking close to retail price for their 10 year old bikes. May be a local phenomenon, I dunno.

The other, more risque, choice I've been looking at is an '05 R6, but it comes with a few uncertainties: can I handle a proper loving sportsbike, can I fit on a sportsbike, do I want to ride a sportsbike everywhere I go? I guess I'm just sort of worried I'll grow "bored" of the SV650 and regret that I didn't just go straight for something more hardcore, but I know that I'm no where near good enough yet to say that I can ride the Suzuki at its limits.

Any input is appreciated.

I did my first track day after riding for the past few months on the street and I can now safely say that I am no where even NEAR the limits of my bike and any fleeting thoughts of getting a 600cc sport bike are now gone.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

GanjamonII posted:

I did my first track day after riding for the past few months on the street and I can now safely say that I am no where even NEAR the limits of my sv650s and any fleeting thoughts of getting a 600cc sport bike are now gone.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
I have a bunch of overtime logged

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1938404169.html

someone give me a great reason not to buy this.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

An early F4 750, not a serie oro or whatever it was called? £6,000, I'm guessing.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...age/1?logcode=p

And thanks to recent history, you can always get polish sausage - it's about the same length.

A large number of forces have disbanded or severely reduced the numbers of dedicated traffic police in the last 10 years in favour of fixed speed cameras.

So away from camera sites and motorways, the countryside is basically a free-fire area. If you did 10% over the limit in an urban area, an actual police wouldn't stop you. You'd basically have to be doing rolling burnouts and stand-up wheelies through the town center to get stopped these days. There are a small minority of forces that do speed traps or target popular biker hangouts (North Wales and Kent being two). Not a problem if you don't go to those places.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Saga posted:

An early F4 750, not a serie oro or whatever it was called? £6,000, I'm guessing.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...age/1?logcode=p

I can do with a Strada, but it'll have to be black. That's probably illegal on your island though.

Saga posted:

And thanks to recent history, you can always get polish sausage - it's about the same length.

Thanks for making me puke.

Saga posted:

You'd basically have to be doing rolling burnouts and stand-up wheelies through the town center to get stopped these days.

I'm definitely too old for stand-up wheelies. I can't totally dismiss rolling burnouts though. Are your proud servicemen of the noble police force still unarmed?

You're tempting me. I need an F4, and I need it yesterday.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

I can do with a Strada, but it'll have to be black. That's probably illegal on your island though.

Thanks for making me puke.

I'm definitely too old for stand-up wheelies. I can't totally dismiss rolling burnouts though. Are your proud servicemen of the noble police force still unarmed?

You're tempting me. I need an F4, and I need it yesterday.

They are unarmed but carry lethal doses of sarcasm for emergencies. I don't know about 750s, but black F4 1000s are available for just a bit more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ohwandernearer posted:

I have a bunch of overtime logged

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1938404169.html

someone give me a great reason not to buy this.

Nice bike, I'd see if I could get him to toss in the 39mm flatslide with it. Besides that, the reason not to buy that bike is because you'll spend all your days pulling wheelies and stoppies (once you upgrade that front brake). :v:

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Z3n posted:

Nice bike, I'd see if I could get him to toss in the 39mm flatslide with it. Besides that, the reason not to buy that bike is because you'll spend all your days pulling wheelies and stoppies (once you upgrade that front brake). :v:

price-wise, what should I shoot for?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ohwandernearer posted:

price-wise, what should I shoot for?

I'd go for that price but get him to toss in the flatslide and the handguards for it. The exhaust is a meh upgrade, increasing top end but being a lot louder and it doesn't do anything to boost midrange where you really want it on a thumper.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
Someone should start a new thread or somethin' for this. Or no particular thread. Whichever.

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Either of those would make fine bikes for a beginner, although the Ninja might be a hair overpriced. Maybe the GS, as well, but I have no idea what the value on them tends to run. (Although now I see you're in Canada, so those might actually be good prices.)

Thanks for your reply.

The GS bike was sold pretty fast. However, I just bought a GS 500 2004 Suzuki for $2300.

Is that a good deal or what? I should have been more patient, but the GS 500E was bought fast, so I was a bit too eager in getting this bike.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Since the Ninja grenaded itself, I'm trying to figure out what I should buy to get to work. I could fix the car (loving lame), or buy a little motorcycle. I thought about buying another ninja 250, but 20k miles on one is more then enough.

I'm looking for a cheap (getting a ride back to Texas was pricier then I thought) dirt bike that isn't a complete dog, any suggestions? I'd really like to not have to change the oil and rebuild the top end every 10 hours, as it would be a commuter bike and touring bike (500-1000miles per day). Supermotos would be cool, but drzs are going for 4 grand, and I'm not able to part with that kind of cash without wiping me out.

Quick editors notes:
A. I grew up near farms and tractors and thus don't want a KLR.
B. I know the seat is going to be hard as nails and suck for touring, pain is just weakness leaving the body, if the bike can do 500-1000miles per day, then goddamn it so can I.
C. Should I just fix the car?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

blugu64 posted:

Since the Ninja grenaded itself

Wait what happened to your Ninja?

Whats your budget for another bike like?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1949054263.html

infraboy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 12, 2010

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
It died a proper death in Eastern Colorado

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Posted in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3255021&goto=lastpost

But this seems a bit more tracked. Anyone in the Seattle area seen a good sub-2500 beginner bike?

These were linked earlier which look great and an awesome starting point.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/1946823566.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/1945140021.html

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

infraboy posted:

Wait what happened to your Ninja?

Whats your budget for another bike like?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1949054263.html

Near as we can tell, some copper bit decided to explode. It was seriously like panning for gold in that oil. My budget isn't much, and as I'm really don't know much about dirt bikes I'm not sure if I could find something worth riding for $1500-$2000. I finally got a 'real job' a month ago, after a bout with unemployment/underemployment, so the less I spend the faster I get the finances back where I like them.

Regarding high maintenance dirt bikes, my main fear is that I'd be doing the top end every thousand miles, and that sounds expensive.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

blugu64 posted:

Near as we can tell, some copper bit decided to explode. It was seriously like panning for gold in that oil. My budget isn't much, and as I'm really don't know much about dirt bikes I'm not sure if I could find something worth riding for $1500-$2000. I finally got a 'real job' a month ago, after a bout with unemployment/underemployment, so the less I spend the faster I get the finances back where I like them.

Regarding high maintenance dirt bikes, my main fear is that I'd be doing the top end every thousand miles, and that sounds expensive.

Well theres plenty of decent street bikes that can be had for under 2000$, dualsport wise you'd end up with one of the 250 models which are barely enough on the freeway, or the dreaded KLR650 you don't want.

I'm also trying to hold out on buying another bike at least until Christmas time.... assuming i've been a good boy, as of November i'll have one year of riding under my belt, so I feel fairly confident on a newer sportbike.

I'm pretty stuck between an 05-06 Ninja 636 or an 07+ CBR600. 2006+ R6 are sexy but everything i've read about them makes them sound kind of unfriendly for the street, and I think GSX-Rs are generally pretty ugly unless I go for an 08-09 which are a little more than i'd want to spend, although a GSX-R 750 wouldn't be out of the question.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/1946796971.html

Of course theres awesome deals when I don't want to commit yet :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Since the Ninja grenaded itself, I'm trying to figure out what I should buy to get to work. I could fix the car (loving lame), or buy a little motorcycle. I thought about buying another ninja 250, but 20k miles on one is more then enough.

I'm looking for a cheap (getting a ride back to Texas was pricier then I thought) dirt bike that isn't a complete dog, any suggestions? I'd really like to not have to change the oil and rebuild the top end every 10 hours, as it would be a commuter bike and touring bike (500-1000miles per day). Supermotos would be cool, but drzs are going for 4 grand, and I'm not able to part with that kind of cash without wiping me out.

Quick editors notes:
A. I grew up near farms and tractors and thus don't want a KLR.
B. I know the seat is going to be hard as nails and suck for touring, pain is just weakness leaving the body, if the bike can do 500-1000miles per day, then goddamn it so can I.
C. Should I just fix the car?

Earlier model DRZ400S, with the right side up forks. I bought mine for 2k in great condition, with 6k miles on it. Hell, you could do a fly and ride on my sumo if you really wanted to, I'd be willing to work with you on price to make the fly and ride worth it.

dogpower posted:

Thanks for your reply.

The GS bike was sold pretty fast. However, I just bought a GS 500 2004 Suzuki for $2300.

Is that a good deal or what? I should have been more patient, but the GS 500E was bought fast, so I was a bit too eager in getting this bike.

Not an amazing deal but a fine one if the bike is in good shape. Congrats!

UFS207
Oct 29, 2005
Anyone have any experience with the early Yamaha R1's? A '99 model popped up for sale locally and I'm tempted. Went and looked at it just for fun and was impressed. Thing looks like it just rolled out of the crate and has less than 5K miles on it. A real museum piece, couldn't find a single flaw on it anywhere other than the tires will need replacing (11 year old factory tires). Asking price is a tad over $4000 but the seller seemed pretty motivated.

I've done a bit of reading about the bikes and the only real sore spot seems to be an issue with 2nd gear giving out. Doesn't seem very prevalent though. Also the way the power comes on is supposedly pretty peaky and violent compared to the newer R1's.

Any advise/insight appreciated.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

UFS207 posted:

I've done a bit of reading about the bikes and the only real sore spot seems to be an issue with 2nd gear giving out.

IIRC, that's an issue if they've been beat on hard, wheelies, track riding etc etc. Normal use shouldn't gently caress it, and if this bike's been babied (and with 11yr old tyres, I'd say so), I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

The only other advice I can offer is don't put Michelin's on it, the more triangular/pointy profile Michelin's have make the early R1/6 quite squirrely.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
I'll be taking the MSF next month and I'm looking for a good beginner bike. I've looked at Blast's, Ninja 250's and GS500's. I'm in no hurry to buy, but I am on a budget and I am leaning towards the GS500. I came across these two ads near me:

GS500 #1 and GS500 #2

I'll get more info from #2, but #1 has me more interested with the "complete sentences, useful information and nice pictures" schtick.

Are these prices normal for GS500's or are these bikes more likely heaps?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Commodore 64 posted:

I'll be taking the MSF next month and I'm looking for a good beginner bike. I've looked at Blast's, Ninja 250's and GS500's. I'm in no hurry to buy, but I am on a budget and I am leaning towards the GS500. I came across these two ads near me:

GS500 #1 and GS500 #2

I'll get more info from #2, but #1 has me more interested with the "complete sentences, useful information and nice pictures" schtick.

Are these prices normal for GS500's or are these bikes more likely heaps?

Can't answer for the prices since I'm not in the US and know poo poo about your silly low taxes ;), but I wouldn't touch #1 with a stick.

The following quotes are definitely run away triggers for me:

some random crackhead posted:

Full yoshimura exhaust, upgraded UNI air filter. Jetted to match.
Tires are in very good shape with a great deal of tread left.

same random crackhead posted:

I bought this bike with the intent of making it a track bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd go with either as long as it runs nicely. Hard starting, won't idle after about 45 seconds, are all warning signs.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I just passed my MSF / got my license last week, and now I'm looking for my first bike. I'm 6'2" and 300lbs so I need something that can accomidate me. A local guy posted this bike a few hours ago. Its a 1982 Honda CB900C with 34000 miles. He's asking $2250, but I don't think I would pay over $1700.

Does this seem like it would be a good fit for a first bike, or should I be looking at something else?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

That's pretty expensive for a first bike, and also that bike is not the most common UJM around. You can get all sorts of UJMs in the 600-750cc range for about $1000 in very good condition, which would probably suit your needs better.

You could also consider newer bikes such as the GS500, Ninja 500, and the SV650, all of which you can get for the price of that CB900 or less.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Its a 1982 Honda CB900C with 34000 miles. He's asking $2250, but I don't think I would pay over $1700.

Does this seem like it would be a good fit for a first bike, or should I be looking at something else?

Even at 1700, he'd better have a compelling story about how the major subsystems have been tightened up and/or modernized. If he's just trying to recoup the cost of his black paint job, forget it. Hang in there a bit and you'll develop a sense for reasonable UJM market values. I completely understand the impulse to get your first one quickly.

Also, I'm beginning to cave to the consensus of SVs and EXs and Ninja 250s as first bikes. Frankly, there's just more support out there and with the maintenance associated with a 30 year old UJM, you run the risk of being turned off of motorcycling forever. We don't want that. Can you get lucky and find one you can just gas, oil, and thrash for a year? Sure, but the odds aren't in your favor.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I just passed my MSF / got my license last week, and now I'm looking for my first bike. I'm 6'2" and 300lbs so I need something that can accomidate me. A local guy posted this bike a few hours ago. Its a 1982 Honda CB900C with 34000 miles. He's asking $2250, but I don't think I would pay over $1700.

You need to go sit on some bikes and figure out what's comfortable for you. The ninja 250 is probably out, especially if you want to do any 2 up riding, but the GS500, Ninja 500, SV650, etc, would all be good choices. You're going to need to do suspension work on any of them to get them working anywhere close to right for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Black
Nov 6, 2007
Alright, a cherries jubilee and that's it.
So is there any reason I shouldn't be jumping on this deal, even if it turns out more is needed to get her ship-shape?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/1954572228.html