Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing again after like 16 years, and my toe got massively hosed up by my Concave PT+ Classics. I returned them, but now I can't accurately gauge if my new Nike T90 LaserIIIs are more protective of my toe (I don't toe the ball all that often, but there's sometimes incidental contact when dribbling and lofting). Does anyone have any recommendations for dealing with a foot size/shape that puts my toe all but protruding from the top of the boot? Will my toe eventually toughen up?

EDIT: the boots aren't too small, my toe is at least 1/4" away from the tip of the boot, and my left foot fits awesome-- my toe just happens to be at a point in the boot that really gets it roughed up a lot.

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
we won our first game 3-1. :) the goal i gave up as keeper was pretty weak. i was nervous in my first match. i was much better in the second half. a forward had missed a penalty in the first half, too. he made up for it also by scoring 2 goals. he's the number one scorer in the league

on top of that, we met with the student body and successfully requested money for new gear.. uniforms, balls, etc. :)

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

My Wednesday night indoor side finished in 8th this season but scraped into the div 2 finals (div 1 finals is 1-4, 2 is 5-8). We've pretty much had the season from hell, half the team is made up of players who cant be stuffed playing every week reappearing occasionally, playing like it's their first game of indoor ever and then disappearing for another couple of weeks. It's really just screwed the whole balance of the side up for the three/four of us who've turned up every week. We've had some really good results against the teams around us and beaten them all consistently but as soon as we come up against a team that spreads us out and focuses their play through our weaker players we get hammered. Cannot count the amount of goals we've conceded from very simple cut out balls across the keeper that have not been tracked by the back post defender and ended up being easy tap ins.

ANYWAY. Last night we played our first final against the side in fifth, a team who's beaten us twice this year quite comfortably and to top it all off one of our regulars pulls out 45 minutes before the game because she had a date. Somehow, with a player down for the entire game we managed to win 7-6. It was awesome!

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Also, dont buy Nike T3 indoor shoes. I brought a new pair a couple of months ago and after maybe a dozen games they're starting to come apart at the 'impact zone'. I really want to complain to Nike about it but I've no idea who to email.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Zenit St Peckersberg came back from several goals down to go 8-7 ahead last night, only to concede a last minute equaliser. I was marking a striker who had been dumped out of the United youth system but he still gave me a torrid time. Although it feels like a loss, we remain unbeaten after three games this season!

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

We'll finally play our first match next saturday. The match last week was cancelled because the pitch was flooded. It's an away match at last year's cup winner so it'll be a real test.

I was putting in one awesome tackle after another during the last training session, but I don't know if I have the stamina for 90 minutes yet...

Jiminy Cricket
Feb 5, 2008

Flight Suit Up!

hughsieblingwish posted:

she

:aaa:

Joking aside, a few people seem to be having trouble with new football boots. I'm buying a new pair soon, after my F50 rip offs died after 4 years of solid use. Anyone got tips for what I should look out for - comfort wise or just any recommendations. So psyched for getting back to Uni, just so I can play football regularly again. Woo.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Umbriago posted:

Zenit St Peckersberg came back from several goals down to go 8-7 ahead last night, only to concede a last minute equaliser. I was marking a striker who had been dumped out of the United youth system but he still gave me a torrid time. Although it feels like a loss, we remain unbeaten after three games this season!
What on earth league are you in that's serious enough to have promotion/relegation? Are you languishing in step 27 of the English football pyramid or something? Every league I've played in, for any sport in the states, can barely figure out what the score of the game is, much less handle something so complicated.

e: I am very seriously considering joining a league, not so much as a result of throwing myself into football fandom, but just the ease of it all. Most leagues, or even pick up games, I've taken part in for the last 10 years have been ice hockey, and I just can't lug that loving bag around anymore. (Cleats? Check. Shin guards. Check. Oh god I must be ready to play, what a nice change of pace.) I haven't played competitively since middle school but I've gotta think that common sense and a little hustle have me halfway there, and I'll figure the rest out as I go.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 2, 2010

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What on earth league are you in that's serious enough to have promotion/relegation? Are you languishing in step 27 of the English football pyramid or something? Every league I've played in, for any sport in the states, can barely figure out what the score of the game is, much less handle something so complicated.

e: I am very seriously considering joining a league, not so much as a result of throwing myself into football fandom, but just the ease of it all. Most leagues, or even pick up games, I've taken part in for the last 10 years have been ice hockey, and I just can't lug that loving bag around anymore. (Cleats? Check. Shin guards. Check. Oh god I must be ready to play, what a nice change of pace.) I haven't played competitively since middle school but I've gotta think that common sense and a little hustle have me halfway there, and I'll figure the rest out as I go.

A nearby sports centre runs 5-a-side leagues most nights of the week. We're in the Wednesday night league, which has seven divisions each with about ten teams. After every team in the division has played the others twice, the top two teams get promoted and the bottom two are demoted. Makes things a lot more interesting, but I suppose you need a lot of interest since that's about 350 players minimum playing every Wednesday night.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

In the Netherlands there's promotion/relegation at every level, including youth teams, and everything is sanctioned by the KNVB (FA). It's just a way to make sure teams are playing at the right level.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Your typical English amateur team isn't actually on the pyramid, there are certainly some amateur teams that are but most are in independent county leagues, especially Sunday leagues. That said, the Sunday league my current team is in has 3 divisions on its own and I'm in a tiny village in North Yorkshire.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Scikar posted:

Your typical English amateur team isn't actually on the pyramid, there are certainly some amateur teams that are but most are in independent county leagues, especially Sunday leagues. That said, the Sunday league my current team is in has 3 divisions on its own and I'm in a tiny village in North Yorkshire.

Which village, out of curiosity? I've just graduated from the University of York and spent my last couple years there working for North Yorkshire Police.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Umbriago posted:

Which village, out of curiosity? I've just graduated from the University of York and spent my last couple years there working for North Yorkshire Police.

Scorton, it's about 5 minutes south of Scotch Corner, York is normally about 45 minutes when there aren't roadworks on the A1. I was planning to be in Edinburgh but things didn't work out so I'm back home, but I've just got a job in Middlesbrough so I'm in the region for at least the next year or so.

Midnight Crooner
Jun 24, 2003
Talking of the good old English league pyramid, the team I play for is on level 10 (or possibly 11 now). Its a decent standard with good grounds and half decent referees and liners and although winning Division 1 does officialy grant you promotion to the next step, it also means having to improve facilities a lot - mainly getting floodlights and turnstiles. So hardly any teams actually ever move up to the next level and I'd bet its like that in most divisions. I doubt theres much movement in the middle levels of the current structure even though promotions are available.

Anyway we've had a slow start to the season - after 4 wins in 5 pre-season games and looking really sharp we've only won 1 from 6 league games with 2 draws and 3 losses. Need to start picking up some points soon or its gonna be a long season!

Does anyone else play up here in the north-west?

edit: just looked it up and its step 7 of the National League System - its even more confusing now than last time I looked

Midnight Crooner fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 2, 2010

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Scikar posted:

Scorton, it's about 5 minutes south of Scotch Corner, York is normally about 45 minutes when there aren't roadworks on the A1. I was planning to be in Edinburgh but things didn't work out so I'm back home, but I've just got a job in Middlesbrough so I'm in the region for at least the next year or so.

I'm familiar with the name and the location but I never made it that far up the county -- farthest north I got was over by Whitby. I miss the place though, though I'll be going back to visit soon.

Midnight Crooner posted:

Does anyone else play up here in the north-west?

Yeah, but not in the league pyramid. I play in the Wigan/Bolton area. Where abouts do you play?

Midnight Crooner
Jun 24, 2003

Umbriago posted:

Yeah, but not in the league pyramid. I play in the Wigan/Bolton area. Where abouts do you play?

In the Cheshire League on Saturdays and sometimes have a run out for a local team in the Stockport District Sunday League.

We play a few teams up towards Warrington/St. Helens like Padgate and Golborne but don't have to travel as far as Wigan I don't think.

Whats your league?

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

I don't play 11-a-side, just in a 5-a-side league on Wednesdays at the Soccerdome in Wigan. My local team contending in the English League system is in the South Lancashire Counties third division. If I were hanging around at home longer than a year I'd consider playing for them, but right now I've just not got the time.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Traded in my T90 LaserIIIs for a 1/2 size up, and now I have two access cards to NikeSoccer.com's *~ELITE TRAINING~* section. Does anyone want this thing?

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!

Save Russian Jews posted:

Traded in my T90 LaserIIIs for a 1/2 size up, and now I have two access cards to NikeSoccer.com's *~ELITE TRAINING~* section. Does anyone want this thing?

Holla at me! kiros3xe at gmail dot com

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Just got back from football, played 70 minutes without my knee hurting :cool:

I was poo poo though, but at least my knee has stopped hurting after a month of pain.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Anybody playing in Los Angeles? Haven't played in a while and looking to join a league. I've lost some speed over the years but I am a perfectly capable back or defensive mid. Indoor, outdoor, coed, whatever. Just looking to get a ball at my feet again.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Argyle posted:

Anybody playing in Los Angeles? Haven't played in a while and looking to join a league. I've lost some speed over the years but I am a perfectly capable back or defensive mid. Indoor, outdoor, coed, whatever. Just looking to get a ball at my feet again.

really interested in this; I spent the summer in LA (going to work there for the next few years starting 2011) but had no idea where to go

slow hands
Feb 5, 2005
we slow hands

I really wouldn't mind one of these
joe.latino at gmail . com

So my Sunday 7 aside co-ed team had a relatively easy time against two teams of random players who signed up for the league the past two weeks, but on this Sunday we play some team who beat their last opponent 7 to 1, and seems to have been around for more than a few weeks. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little concerned, especially since half our team has a tendency to no show at the last minute.
:argh:

Playing soccer owns though. Like someone said, it's a nice change of pace from hockey and the giant rear end bag you're tied to.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Some members of Manchester City's squad may be interested.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I'll take one of the cards, just to see if there's anything useful. Coaching right now and need anything I can get.

dsudia @ gmail . com

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kiros posted:

Holla at me! kiros3xe at gmail dot com

Done. Everyone else, sorry but I have to go with the first guy to answer or I'm probably a dick.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Messyass posted:

We'll finally play our first match next saturday. The match last week was cancelled because the pitch was flooded. It's an away match at last year's cup winner so it'll be a real test.

We won 4-6! Both teams struggled after the long holiday break, but we were better at finishing our chances with our fast forwards, so we were leading 1-4 at the break. In the second half we conceded three times from corners, so that's something to work on. At 4-5 it could have gone both ways, but we finally scored the deciding goal from another quick break.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Out of our cup already after being drawn against a team 2 divisions above us in the local premier. We played really well but lost 3-1 due to a defended letting the ball bounce and being beaten by the striker; the very same defender scoring an own goal and our goalkeeper doing a ridiculously poor goal kick straight to the opposite forward's feet. Aside from these 3 game costing mistakes, I reckon we're in for an alright season.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Done. Everyone else, sorry but I have to go with the first guy to answer or I'm probably a dick.

No biggie, from the way you wrote I interpreted it as you not wanting either card, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

So, broken wrist means I'm not playing right now, but coaching the girls' team at the middle school I teach at.

Had our first game tonight and won 2-1!

Two good goals on our side, gave up the 1 when I rotated in our weakest defenders to give everyone play-time. We really need to work on receiving; gave up way too many opportunities just kicking the ball away trying to catch it with feet.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Played 6-a-side on a 7-a-side pitch last night as a stand-in keeper for my brother's team. Started to rain as we got there, by the time we kicked off it was POURING down. Then I heard thunder. Then the pitch was lit up by lightning.

Needless to say I spent the majority of the 90 minutes nervously on the edge of my area, as far away from the goalposts as possible.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Some fat rugby playing tosser decided to wear his metal studded rugby boots on the astroturf last night, causing him to create a size-10 bruise on the side of my shin complete with stud marks after he decided to foot plant me instead of win the ball.

Does anyone have any tips for defenders, specifically in five-a-side games?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Tell him to gently caress off if he's wearing studs, it ruins the astroturf.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Never mind the astroturf, it feels like he's resculpted my tibia! I should've told the ref, really. The problem with playing in Wigan is that a lot of the lads are rugby players who play football for a laugh, which means they're big cloggers with no fitness or understanding of the rules of normal football -- let alone the extra rules of five-a-side (not playing the ball over head height, not shooting in the area, etc). So it's always fun playing these sorts, but you do take a bashing.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii

Umbriago posted:

Does anyone have any tips for defenders, specifically in five-a-side games?

I assume it's no overhead height so always stay goal side of your man and don't let them get a shot away. Not much more you can do really, just have to hope your other players have a man each too to save you from getting mugged off.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

This thread made me want to get back into the game, I played from 5-13 recreationally. I looked into a local adult league which is 7v7, which is cool, but they apparently play with no sliding (which I guess I sort of understand), no offsides, and no throw-ins. :wtc:

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Destroy My Sweater posted:

This thread made me want to get back into the game, I played from 5-13 recreationally. I looked into a local adult league which is 7v7, which is cool, but they apparently play with no sliding (which I guess I sort of understand), no offsides, and no throw-ins. :wtc:

No sliding makes sense on astro, no one likes losing half the skin on their legs.

Throwins depends on the pitch, the one I play on has 3 games going on side by side with nets seperating each pitch, so play doesn't need to stop (while at the same time, you can't hit the ball off the sides to get an advantage).

If there's no offsides I take it you can't shoot inside the penalty area or something? That and offsides are ridiculously hard to call when it's only one ref.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

All of that is pretty much standard, you're not allowed side tackle on astroturf if it's being played on that, plus it could be enclosed hence no throw-ins. And most rec leagues don't have offside since that requires extra officials.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

mikewozere posted:

I assume it's no overhead height so always stay goal side of your man and don't let them get a shot away. Not much more you can do really, just have to hope your other players have a man each too to save you from getting mugged off.

Yeah, my main problem (besides fitness) is knowing what to do when it's 2v1, and if/when to stick close to the striker or drop off. Generally most goals my team concedes are because the other three outfield players have pushed up front and the other team have two players hanging around our end of the pitch for a clearance, with only me to try to stop them. So I come to the man with the ball and force him wide, but he only needs to play a goalwards pass into space for the second man to be through on goal with no one marking. Shouting at my teammates keeps them marking for another four or five minutes but then they get lazy/knackered again. I suppose I should just keep shouting.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Umbriago posted:

Yeah, my main problem (besides fitness) is knowing what to do when it's 2v1, and if/when to stick close to the striker or drop off. Generally most goals my team concedes are because the other three outfield players have pushed up front and the other team have two players hanging around our end of the pitch for a clearance, with only me to try to stop them. So I come to the man with the ball and force him wide, but he only needs to play a goalwards pass into space for the second man to be through on goal with no one marking. Shouting at my teammates keeps them marking for another four or five minutes but then they get lazy/knackered again. I suppose I should just keep shouting.
Yeah if you're serious about playing then you just need to keep shouting at them, there's nothing else you can do. Even just in training kickabouts with my team, if I'm playing in defense I'll usually try and stay back, if everyone else is pushing forward I'll make sure they know they need to track back too. Even when the defense isn't pushing up I'm usually shouting at midfielders who don't track back either because then we'll get outnumbered when the other team pushes up (this is with more than 8 a side by the way).

I know it seems a bit SERIOUS BUSINESS or whatever but it's lovely if you're constantly giving away stupid goals because your teammates are lazy/tired. If they're tired, they shouldn't be pushing up forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii

Umbriago posted:

If it's 5 a-side I assume the pitch your playing on isn't very big. In 2vs1 situations I tend to do what you describe. I can't understand how you're getting caught out with a goalwards pass though, if you're playing on a 5-a-side pitch, unless you're defending on the halfway line? I tend to try to force the attacker wide while blocking the pass. If he wants to then shoot from a tight angle, let him and blame your goalkeeper if he lets a weak goal in like that. Most players with any sense will always look to pass to the free man opposite them, so force him down the line and try and hold him up until some of your players get back. If he shoots from a tight angle and it goes in, it's your goalkeepers fault. If you hold him up and he still gets a pass away, it's your team-mates fault for not tracking back. Not much more you can do yourself, personally.