Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I would agree with the GTA sentiment. Something was really off with GTA IV. Ballad of Gay Tony nearly made up with it, but it had to be bigger than San Andreas and it was a backtrack for so many reasons. A serious disappointment that needs a lot of work. With Red Dead, we can only wait and see how awesome Rockstar gets with that.

I wouldn't mind if Rockstar caved and just made Bully into a gigantic game that actually took away the Academy atmosphere and just made it into a public school setting or such. Or a variety of them. They're going to get poo poo for Columbine and other incidents, why not just accept it and go whole loving hog with it?
I saw GTA4 as sort of a reset of the series, like almost a reworking of GTA 3. I'd have no problem at all if the next version was just a GTA4-esque re-envisioning of San Andreas. Although I really wish they'd work on the car physics. Fortunately GTA4's car physics didn't carry over into RDR. Can you imagine if all the horses rode like they were on ice and bounced up into flips any time you ran over a bush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.
I just got to Mexico, and I am loving this poo poo. Marston is a great, great character and I'm surprised how excellent the writing is. When Irish said that Whisky gave him the memory of a newborn babe, and Marston replied (after taking a swig) that it made him violently angry it had me in stitches.

Now I'm not a big fan of the GTA series. I liked Chinatown Wars alright and never played GTA 4. GTA 1 and 2 were fun for their time but 3 and VC just didn't do it for me. I can't believe that RDR is made by the same company. I was so scared by all the people who claimed that this game was "GTA with horses" that the only reason I bought it was the metacritic ranking and the awesome deal Kmart had on it two weeks ago.

I'm just shocked how awesomely great RDR is. In every sense of the word, it's amazing. Heck, I was seriously considering buying a hunting game even though I suspect that probably 99.9% of them are utter poo poo just because I had an itch for one, and the hunting aspect of RDR has cured me as well as one of Mr. West Dickens' fine tonics ever would have !

I've already spoiled the ending for myself,like I always do with any type of media, and I was thinking at work today that it would be sweet to see a sequel in WW1, but as you guys have said the Spanish-American War would also be awesome.

But then, one has to wonder, does a "Red Dead" game necessitate the old west setting ? Would it really be a RD game if it were set in like 1916 Europe and you were an Austrian soldier named Hans or something ? At that point wouldn't it be so far from the other games thematically that they might as well just call it something else entirely ?

Horseticuffs fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 10, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I was hoping the Red Dead title could give us a Bonnie & Clyde styled game, but honestly, the games are more Spaghetti Western than anything else.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
The one thing I hope they improve is still the responsiveness. It's not as bad as GTA4, but I still constantly get killed in Gang Matches because I'm stuck some weird way in cover. Also, to blind fire you need like 3 seconds of time to just STOP EVERYTHING so that the game will actually let you. I wish it was as responsive as Uncharted 2.

Peas and Rice posted:

A lot of Bully's improvements made their way into GTA / RDR, so hopefully yes.

I'd actually be fine if Rockstar gave up on GTA and just released more creative open-world games like RDR, Bully, or awesome poo poo none of us have even thought of yet. Free-roaming Roman Empire game where you can participate in gladiator fights or march with the legion or both? Sign me the gently caress up.

1880s Victorian London is the one setting that is DYING for a game like this, IMO.

Horseticuffs posted:

Now I'm not a big fan of the GTA series. I liked Chinatown Wars alright and never played GTA 4. GTA 1 and 2 were fun for their time but 3 and VC just didn't do it for me. I can't believe that RDR is made by the same company. I was so scared by all the people who claimed that this game was "GTA with horses" that the only reason I bought it was the metacritic ranking and the awesome deal Kmart had on it two weeks ago.

Sorry, but RDR is just like GTA. It just has improvements and tweaks, like any game would. Just because you didn't like GTA doesn't mean you can distance RDR from it. GTA3 and VC were incredible for their time, as is Red Dead.

And Red Dead Redemption is probably my favorite game of all time.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I was hoping the Red Dead title could give us a Bonnie & Clyde styled game, but honestly, the games are more Spaghetti Western than anything else.

You know, a game set during in the "Dust bowl" during the Great Depression, where you played a Bonnie & Clyde-style criminal would be awesome.

The Dust bowl/Great Depression setting would give it just the right air of desperation/tragedy and I think a game like that, even with the loss of the "old west" setting, would fit well in the series and could be great.

If they just keep making RD games in the old west, it'll get stale rather quickly. Its a huge franchise now, so you KNOW there will be sequels. What R* needs to do is examine what themes really made RDR (I sadly can't speak for Revolver as I never played it) so special. To me, baring in mind that I haven't played through it yet but have read the whole plot, the themes of redemption, tragedy,loss, love and desperation seem like a pretty good encapsulation of the game.

You pair those themes with a well-planed and thought-out setting and you'll have something magical, I should think.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
What I really hope is that Rockstar tries to make a protagonist very unique from Marston. While I love the character, his arc is very similar to Niko's and, to a lesser extent, CJ's.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

What I really hope is that Rockstar tries to make a protagonist very unique from Marston. While I love the character, his arc is very similar to Niko's and, to a lesser extent, CJ's.
Are you implying that a man trying to escape his dark, violent past which eventually catches up with him and ruins his attempts to start a new life has been done before?

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.

A Quiet American posted:

Are you implying that a man trying to escape his dark, violent past which eventually catches up with him and ruins his attempts to start a new life has been done before?

But you don't get it, he's a badass with a heart of gold :argh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A Quiet American posted:

Don't be silly, he's talking about that subplot where Marston goes around raiding crack dens, hookin back up with the homies, and helping a washed-up country singer get his act together to produce a platinum phonograph record.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 10, 2010

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Don't be silly, he's talking about that subplot where Marston goes around raiding crack dens, hookin back up with the homies, and helping a washed-up country singer get his act together to produce a platinum phonograph record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PlhJOzH0gY

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
Haha, I only knew about Bob Odenkirk from Breaking Bad, looks like I'll have to check that out. Hopefully there'll be some megaphone DLC, or at least something that lets you expand on that filmmaker stranger mission.

When's the zombie DLC coming out? I don't really know anything about it, but for some reason I'm not really looking forward to it. I hope the upcoming Liars and Cheats pack provides some hideouts that are better for grinding.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'd love to see this set during dustbowl/depression/prohibition. Bootlegger side-missions!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Scarf posted:

I'd love to see this set during dustbowl/depression/prohibition. Bootlegger side-missions!

Isn't L.A. Noir being made by rockstar and set during prohibition? Or is it set during the 50's? I can't remember exactly, but it's going to be a detective/private eye like game set during a cool time period.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ShowTime posted:

Isn't L.A. Noir being made by rockstar and set during prohibition? Or is it set during the 50's? I can't remember exactly, but it's going to be a detective/private eye like game set during a cool time period.

Rockstar's announcement says late 1940s.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I would buy and play the hell out of a Great Depression-era crime sandbox game. What's especially awesome is that they could keep the honour mechanic or something similar without much trouble; the Depression was such a brutal, difficult time that just being decent and always helping people in need would make the protagonist a goddamn saint.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

I would buy and play the hell out of a Great Depression-era crime sandbox game. What's especially awesome is that they could keep the honour mechanic or something similar without much trouble; the Depression was such a brutal, difficult time that just being decent and always helping people in need would make the protagonist a goddamn saint.

Mafia 1 for the PC is kind of like that. Takes place from 1931 to 1938. Doesn't have the fancy honor system though.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Dillinger Quest 3D

Alternatively, Of Mice and Men: The Game

It would be interesting if Rockstar took a lot of their great ideas and went nuts with them. I really loved GTA London when it came out, regardless of whether it's held up well with the passage of time. It was a great little love letter to 70s British gangster films. I'm kind of tired of playing GTA in American cities, although I guess it would be hard to explain the prevalence of firearms in other (first world) countries.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

A Quiet American posted:

Haha, I only knew about Bob Odenkirk from Breaking Bad, looks like I'll have to check that out.

Breaking Bad is a different role for him, he's very funny. Mr. Show is hilarious.

Also, seconding the Bully love. That game needs a sequel in the worst way.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ShowTime posted:

Also just noticed they removed the witty thread title (probably because it had something to do with jews)

So recommend a new one if you have a clever but not vaguely racist idea.

Red Dead Redemption: Racist Thread Titles Aren't Kosher

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Red Dead Redemption: Oh poo poo, a CougAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Red Dead Redemption: Did I really just spend 3 hours picking flowers?

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Scarf posted:

Red Dead Redemption: Did I really just spend 3 hours picking flowers?

Red Dead Redemption - "Just one more flowe- OH gently caress BEARS EVERYWHERE!"

or: Red Dead Redemption - Smart Cowboys Save Often

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.
Red Dead Redemption-Nothing but wolves tail-to-snout one after another unto infinity.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Flower Quest in the Wild Wild West

ps - I have absolutely no motivation to complete the Survivalist challenge... And very little motivation to do the Treasure Hunter challenge.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

ps - I have absolutely no motivation to complete the Survivalist challenge... And very little motivation to do the Treasure Hunter challenge.

The thing to do with those is to do little bits of them in between doing other poo poo. If you left all of it until the end when theres nothing left to do, then it could feel pretty tedious and annoying.

You should do it though, its worth it for the badass outfit.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm thinking that it needs to involve Herbert MOOOOOON somehow. Maybe "Red Dead Redemption: No longer endorsed by Herbert MOOOOOOON" or something wittier.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Scarf posted:

I got through it mostly by drinking to make it interesting.

Red Dead Redemption: I picked flowers for hours and all I got was cirrhosis

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ShowTime posted:

I'm thinking that it needs to involve Herbert MOOOOOON somehow. Maybe "Red Dead Redemption: No longer endorsed by Herbert MOOOOOOON" or something wittier.

Red Dead Redemption: To the Moon, Herbert, to the MOOOOOON!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Is there any way to sneak into the banks (or any building for that matter) at night? I got a hankerin for some safe crackin'

Lewy210
Jan 13, 2008

Scarf posted:

Is there any way to sneak into the banks (or any building for that matter) at night? I got a hankerin for some safe crackin'

Shoot out the windows and wood I think is the only way at night, maybe wrong though.

Rockstar Facebook/Twitter posted:

“@RockstarGames how do u rob a bank in #RedDeadRedemption?” – received via Twitter

Enter Armadillo and equip a weapon. At night, when the bank is closed and locked, shoot out the glass and wood in one of the windows. Climb inside, move into the back and crack both safes to gain a nice sum of money.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Wow I played the game for 40 or so hours and never knew you could rob a bank. I can't believe how much stuff they crammed into this game. In GTA4 there was a lot of random poo poo you could do, but I didn't find any of it fun really. I basically just powered through the missions in that game. RDR I sometimes play for two or three hours without doing a story mission, and apparently I still havent seen everything yet.

I'm playing Mass Effect 2 right now and I feel the same way about it. After 3 playthroughs its becoming obvious that I will NEVER see everything in that game. Its overwhelming, in a good way.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I never even knew you could do safe cracking outside of that one part of whatever mission it was.

Definitely need to play through a second time, and just take my time, and ignore the story this time around.

Is there any word on a sequel aside from that one rumour?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Basebf555 posted:

The thing to do with those is to do little bits of them in between doing other poo poo. If you left all of it until the end when theres nothing left to do, then it could feel pretty tedious and annoying.

The Survivalist challenges become infinitely more entertaining if you commit to only trying to do them while running around with a high bounty on your head. Picking that wild feverfew becomes a lot more interesting when a bunch of bounty hunters come out of nowhere just as you're finishing up, and spook your horse with their gunfire!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sir Spaniard posted:

I never even knew you could do safe cracking outside of that one part of whatever mission it was.

Definitely need to play through a second time, and just take my time, and ignore the story this time around.

Is there any word on a sequel aside from that one rumour?

I think it's just pretty much assumed they'll do a sequel considering how many drat GTA's they've done.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Wow I played the game for 40 or so hours and never knew you could rob a bank.

I thought you could only rob banks during the day. I was robbing the one in Armadillo during the day and hogtied the one teller that was there, but before I could head to the back room where the safe was, a customer came in so I hogtied him too, and another one came, and he was going to snitch, so I hogtied him as well. I must've had a half dozen npc's hogtied at one point, I finally had a chance to crack the safe and as soon as I do... instant bounty and I had cops all over my rear end and had this huge shoot out, executed all the hostages and made my way out the back door in a hail of gunfire and rode off into the desert.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Red Dead Redemption: Cowboys Butts Drive Me Nuts

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

This is sort of off-topic but I really wish they'd implement Euphoria into a fighting game. Imagine dismembering a person and have him try to walk with one leg! Or get up with only one arm! The possibilities are endless.

So, I would like that RDR-except-gladiators thing mentioned earlier or whatever it was I didn't really read

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
Speaking of HERBERT MOOOON...if you punch him a couple times so he fights back and pull a gun on him (but don't shoot), he will pull his out and start shooting at you. This triggers the law enforcement to take him down. However, Herbert Moon is built like a tank and will seriously take out every law enforcement officer in Armadillo and still be ready to take on even more. Quite hilarious to watch HERBERT MOON just take hundreds of shots and dole out mass carnage.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Scarf posted:

Why would you not want to complete the Treasure Hunter challenge? That's one of the funnest things in the game, IMO. I almost wish they were endless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Horseticuffs posted:

You know, a game set during in the "Dust bowl" during the Great Depression, where you played a Bonnie & Clyde-style criminal would be awesome.

The Dust bowl/Great Depression setting would give it just the right air of desperation/tragedy and I think a game like that, even with the loss of the "old west" setting, would fit well in the series and could be great.

Jack will be about John's age in RDR during the Great Depression. They could even keep roughly the same terrain, but the towns will be more built out, there will be factories, more farmland and less open plains, a lot of Tall Trees will be cut down, etc..

• Locked thread