Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Now I really hope they make a sequel with that Great Depression idea, I'm going to write them an email every day about it till they announce it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Very much doubt that's gonna happen though, they're not going to make a sequel that's not a Western because a lot of people played this game to revel in the Western tropes. Nobody has fantasies of being in the Great Depression. And anyway, GTA didn't continue stories in it's sequels so Rockstar aren't likely to feel the need to here.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Red Dead Redemption only had extremely vague connections to Revolver. I imagine a new game in the Red Dead series would be the same, different characters, story, place and time with extremely loose nods to Revolver and Redemption.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I'd like to see a prequel set as John in his days in the gang with Dutch. A good chance to play evil too.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Earwicker posted:

Tall Trees will be cut down, etc..

I'm sorry Nastas. You were...

You were right. Forgive us, we knew not what we did :negative:

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm sorry Nastas.

Nastas really did get the short end of the stick, and that is saying something in a game where pretty much every minor NPC gets shafted. He was a kind, gentle man who did what he could to avert disaster... but all the world did was spit him in the face.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.

Earwicker posted:

Jack will be about John's age in RDR during the Great Depression. They could even keep roughly the same terrain, but the towns will be more built out, there will be factories, more farmland and less open plains, a lot of Tall Trees will be cut down, etc..

Oh god, I hadn't even thought about Jack being in it. That would make even MORE sense. Maybe not as the protagonist, but definitely would make a neat bit player as a nod to RDR. This idea is seriously awesome and I'd love to see it happen.

Given Rockstar's track record, do you guys think there is a chance they would proceed in this general direction, or like the previous post said just stick to the old west with only tenuous connections to previous games in the series ?

And as far as people not caring or wanting to explore the depression, there are a lot of movies set in that era that were pretty popular, and given the recent "great recession" we all went through I think people these days feel some kind of half-assed kinship with the people who lived through the depression.

I'm just saying that I'D be excited as gently caress if they revealed a new RD game and it was exactly like people are speculating in this thread. I think others would be as well. It's an era in American (world ? I don't know off hand) history that still fascinates and terrifies the populace.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

Nastas really did get the short end of the stick, and that is saying something in a game where pretty much every minor NPC gets shafted. He was a kind, gentle man who did what he could to avert disaster... but all the world did was spit him in the face.

Red Dead Redemption: Red Man's Revenge :black101:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Capn Beeb posted:

Red Dead Redemption: Red Man's Revenge :black101:

RED DEAD REVENGE! Honestly, I was kinda hoping that you'd make peace with the Indians at some point like Clint Eastwood, but instead, you just charge in John Wayne style. Kinda depressing, but I guess less Hollywood-PC than the former.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Spalec posted:

I'd like to see a prequel set as John in his days in the gang with Dutch. A good chance to play evil too.

I'd be happy with just a DLC or something that makes being a bad guy a viable way to make money. It'd be cool if in addition to hunting animals you could rob banks and trains and stagecoaches and passersby on the road as a reliable way to make money.

If they could wedge a short prequel in there I'd be even happier though.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'd be happy with just a DLC or something that makes being a bad guy a viable way to make money. It'd be cool if in addition to hunting animals you could rob banks and trains and stagecoaches and passersby on the road as a reliable way to make money.

If they could wedge a short prequel in there I'd be even happier though.

Not only that, but you could be a good criminal that steals but doesn't injure people, until your bounty gets so high that you and Kid Curry have to cut a deal and maintain low cover until....wait, sorry, wrong medium. :unsmith:

And why not the Great Depression? RDR makes the claim that the Wild West was dying in the early days of the 20th Century, but keep in mind that this was mirrored in the Great Depression. We had a time of great wealth, only to have it dashed into a hellish state where everybody was desperate and times were miserable. Not to mention it fits into Rockstar's whole capitalism spiel perfectly: this isn't just the time of Bonnie & Clyde but also of the Grapes of Wraith and other Steinbeck, not to mention the Lost Generation (kinda) and a total disillusionment with America's purpose that still exists today. Plus, who doesn't see Jack Marston getting involved with this racket somehow? Despite him being a weak character, he would be the type who would get involved with crime and have a very healthy disrespect towards the law and government of any shape. The Great Depression could be one hell of a time for him to finally come into his own and rage against the world. And maybe marry a hot version of Ayn Rand, who knows. But the possibilities for Jack (or just the premise alone) are limitless. Even if it's not part of the Red Dead line of games, I think I would like to see Jack or some game in this part of American history.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

And maybe marry a hot version of Ayn Rand, who knows.

Red Dead Roark?

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.

ChuckDHead posted:

Red Dead Roark?

Red Dead Raped by a titan of industry ?

You know, this whole depression/dust bowl thing is such an elegant, ingenious direction to take the series it ALMOST seems like it makes so much sense that there is NO way they will do it. I'm terribly frightened that they are going to shock the world with ANOTHER game set in a different wild-west location.

It wouldn't be the end of the world, and hell it would probably be great also. But since we've been talking about the possibilities of the series and thinking about where it makes sense to take it, it really opens my mind to the fact that, as great as the wild-west aspect is, the "Red Dead" series could be SO much more than that.

Also, I can TOTALLY see the next game being called something like "Red Dead Revenge".

Horseticuffs fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 11, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

ChuckDHead posted:

Red Dead Roark?

Better than Galt Theft Auto.

(I'm not a fan of Rand, but since we're dealing with capitalism, it would be...interesting to see what Rockstar did with that)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Now that we see the basic GTA formula can work really well outside the normal time period and setting, I agree it would be awesome if Rockstar made a few more games like this. But I don't think they would ever take the Red Dead franchise out of the Wild West, it would have to be a brand new game. Too many people bought RDR because of the old west setting, and they'd risk alienating too many of those people. I'd rather just see them make both, another RD game, and some new franchise set at a different time.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I want the next one to be about a younger Landon Ricketts. The only real spoiler is that he survives but that's true of most games.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.

Basebf555 posted:

Now that we see the basic GTA formula can work really well outside the normal time period and setting, I agree it would be awesome if Rockstar made a few more games like this. But I don't think they would ever take the Red Dead franchise out of the Wild West, it would have to be a brand new game. Too many people bought RDR because of the old west setting, and they'd risk alienating too many of those people. I'd rather just see them make both, another RD game, and some new franchise set at a different time.

I hear you. The western aspect was a big draw for a lot of people, I'll admit. But you know, I can see them incorporating some aspects of it into "Revenge" or whatever. I mean, the whole point of the "dust bowl" is that the area was still very much tied in with agriculture and there were a TON of people who rode the rails hoping to find work in the west, much of which was agriculture based from what I've gathered in movies and TV shows (which, as I'm sure you all know, are ALWAYS factually beyond reproach).

So, in that era we can still have trains, we can still have horses (not really much outside of like ranches or farms or maybe small towns, of course), you could still do hunting. Bank robbery and I suppose even train robbery would still be available.

So what CAN'T make the transition,as far as I can figure ?
-You could still hunt, but really, why would you ? Who the hell is going to buy wild game or furs in the late twenties/thirties ?
-Not much of a point in gathering flowers as once again, who the hell is gonna buy 'em ?
-I loved lassoing mother fuckers, and I CAN see hog-tying a dude in a later era, but wouldn't you just do it at gun point ? So I can't see WHY you would be using it as a weapon but more of an item to non-lethally incapacitate a target.
-I'm pretty sure there would be nothing similar to "wanted posters" in that era. I mean, I'm sure they had them, but I don't think they encouraged Joe Six-Pack to go a-huntin' ruthless murderers for pocket change.

EDIT: Heh, funny how we talk about this NOW as some rumors on a sequel just leaked a week ago !
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40737/What-is-the-next-Red-Dead-game-called

I've heard of MCV before but know nothing about them really. Are they generally reliable as rumor mongers go ? If so, looks like all these flights of fancy we've been enjoying were for naught and we'll be getting "Red Dead Revolution". So maybe something like you guys were saying set during the "Spanish-American war" or "Philippine–American War", both of which were revolutions against American imperialism.

Horseticuffs fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 11, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I was playing SP in this again for the first time since release, and I was running around as Jack and doing bounties, when I end up in the Armadillo saloon and this nice lady in her underwear says to me:

:bigtran: : "Well I can think of all sorts of things a big strong man like you could do to me,"
:human being: : "I'm sorry miss, but I'd rather not get the crotch-rot."
:bigtran: : "Well I never! Run along home to your momma, boy, so you can hide in her skirts."

To which my Jack's response was (in my mind)

:cry: : "My mother is DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!"

At which point he shoves her down the stairs and chases her to the train station, shoving and kicking her the whole way. Long story short, we end up on the bluffs to McFarlane's with her hogtied to the back of my horse and a craaaaaaaaaaazy look in Jack's eye. He sets her down close to the edge, ponders slitting her throat or blowing her brains out, and then has second thoughts and cuts her free. She stands up and tripods with her hands on her knees saying

:bigtran: : "Oh my stars! What did you do that foooooooooooooooooooo-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH..."

as Jack roughly shoves her off the cliff and watches her tumble gracefully through the air and then do a faceplant on a boulder 300 hundred feet below.

This game does not cease to offer up new surprises and hilarity.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Fuzz posted:

This game does not cease to offer up new surprises and hilarity.

I had the whole "Help a random hunter kill some prey" instance come up. Killed a wolf for a guy, right beside some train tracks. He walks over to inspect the kill, right as a train was coming through...

...Yeah, I pushed him right in front of the train. Splat.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I really wish there was a way you could throw multiple knives/tomahawks in dead eye. loving cheating bastards at the poker table in Armadillo, it takes too long to put tomahawks in their heads and I just want to explode in a flurry of knives :(

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

I really wish there was a way you could throw multiple knives/tomahawks in dead eye. loving cheating bastards at the poker table in Armadillo, it takes too long to put tomahawks in their heads and I just want to explode in a flurry of knives :(

I like calmly walking outside, smashing a window, deadeyeing one of the guys sitting down inside with a fire bottle, and then watching my flying napalm missile fly 40 feet, through the window, right into the dude's face and light all those fuckers on fire. Bonus if it's in Armadillo or Thieve's Den, since then they often stumble outside, on fire.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've been playing this game for just a few hours, and I'm blown away by the graphics and draw distance. I wouldn't mind a Fallout made with this engine.

As I read this thread I noticed an anti cougar movement. Even though I've only played for a few hours, gently caress cougars. :colbert:

I'm out exploring with my horse, and I hear this weird meow/growl. We don't get cougars in England so I didn't know what animal made that noise. I pan the camera around to see where that noise was coming from and WHAM! My horse is taken out in one blow by something moving very fast, I fall off my dead horse, and tumble down a sloped cliff. gently caress gently caress.

I stand up and look around me to see what killed my horse, and I can't see it-WHAM! I'm tackled from behind, hitting the floor hard, whatever ran into me sprinting off out of view.

I stand up a 2nd time and draw my gun, spinning around, trying to find where it is, I can't see it, it must have lef-WHAM! I'm knocked down again, almost dead where the gently caress is it coming from!?

.....silence....then that weird meow again. I know what that meow means now. It means it's right loving behind me RIGHT NOW! I activate deadeye, and spin the camera around, to see the loving cougar behind me in mid jump, it took THREE shots to bring it down. gently caress.

gently caress cougars. :mad:

[edit] and rattlesnakes

Oh, and thanks for whomever it was that said about 5.1 surround sound. The audio in this game is handled very well.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 11, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

Stuff about cougars

Seriously, if anything, this game makes you loving respect big cats. Now just imagine what a leopard, jaguar, female African lion, or tiger would be like, since they're even better hunters than cougars and like twice the size, on average. (except for the leopard, those are about the same size, they can just climb trees like loving gangbusters)

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Seriously, if anything, this game makes you loving respect big cats. Now just imagine what a leopard, jaguar, female African lion, or tiger would be like, since they're even better hunters than cougars and like twice the size, on average. (except for the leopard, those are about the same size, they can just climb trees like loving gangbusters)
This seems as good a time as any to post accounts of various cougar attacks, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are, in fact, total dicks: http://www.cougarinfo.org/attacks3.htm

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was playing earlier, and had one of those :psyduck: moments.

I was in Armadillo playing poker, and cheating like a dumb fucker because I wanted to get into a duel. I got called out by HERBERT MOOOOOOOOOOOON.

Well, I unloaded a few shots into HERBERT MOOOOOOOOOON's legs, knees, spine, and blew the gun out of his hand. He falls down like he has tha vapahs (the lead vapahs :colbert:) and starts crawling away moaning. I smile, cause a: I am a bastard, and b: I don't like him.

Then, before he dies, ANOTHER HERBERT MOOOOOOOON runs up past him and starts yelling about how he got robbed :psyduck:

It was one of the more hosed up moments of the game, that's for sure.

Any chance someone has a cheat code that can transform the game from Jack to John? Yea, strange to spoiler it, but don't want to screw anyone out of anything in the game.

Can't wait for Undead mode. Sounds like it's gonna be fun.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I really need to piss Herbet Moooooon off sometime. I feel like I'm missing out.

To continue the cougar hate: I was racing Bonnie in the early mission that's basically horse training. Accidently jumped over a fence and climbed up a small hill thing, and couldn't get back down. Saw a cougar run up from behind me, and kill both me, and my horse, in one single whack of it's claws.

gently caress cougars. :(

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Even though cougars have never ever ambushed me, I decided to make a comic. The inspiration may be quite obvious!

I did not spend much time on it and I actually wasn't going to post it but here it is anyway

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Minorkos posted:

Even though cougars have never ever ambushed me, I decided to make a comic. The inspiration may be quite obvious!

I did not spend much time on it and I actually wasn't going to post it but here it is anyway
I enjoyed it. Does the third panel imply that the cougars live underground? Because that's terrifying.

The thought of New Austin being overrun by Herbert Moooooon clones is terrifying.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

A Quiet American posted:

I enjoyed it. Does the third panel imply that the cougars live underground? Because that's terrifying.

The thought of New Austin being overrun by Herbert Moooooon clones is terrifying.

I don't know about underground, but I've stood on a large rock and looked to the North.... to the East... the South... the West....the North again... no Cougars... Then I was attacked and killed from behind by a Cougar.

There's a Cougar behind you, ALWAYS, no matter what direction you're facing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

I don't know about underground, but I've stood on a large rock and looked to the North.... to the East... the South... the West....the North again... no Cougars... Then I was attacked and killed from behind by a Cougar.

There's a Cougar behind you, ALWAYS, no matter what direction you're facing.

It's like a demented Schroedinger's Cougar sort of situation, then? (yes it has nothing to do with the box, it's the principle behind it I'm talking about)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I need to do some more research on Quantum Cougar Flux but I think I'm onto something.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Minorkos posted:

Very clever. Your layout is totally wrong though!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sco Dylan posted:

Why would you not want to complete the Treasure Hunter challenge? That's one of the funnest things in the game, IMO. I almost wish they were endless.

I was incredibly bummed there wasn't some way to make infinite randomized treasure hunter quests, yeah.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

NeilPerry posted:

Very clever. Your layout is totally wrong though!

Agreed. I should have sliced up the last frame into 2 really thin ones.

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:

Minorkos posted:

That third panel had me rolling. Cougars are the biggest dicks in this game. I seemed to manage to handle bears alright. They're terrifying but pretty slow and I could usually get the drop on them first. Cougars are just silent tiny ninja fuckers.

What I'd love to see in an RDR sequel is a game where the main character is an Indian. Would be awesome to be a Sioux or Apache fighting the US Calvary. There is really a lot of room for a great story along those lines, and I'm not aware of any western movies with an Indian lead, which seems pretty dumb. Yeah Dances with Wolves and all but this is about the white man getting in touch with the Noble Savage stereotype. I would like to see everything from their perspective for a change.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I love some of the random events in this game. The one that still sticks out in my mind as being the most notable is the guy over at the campsite who waves at you to come closer, then when you get near him, starts shooting at you. Upon killing him, you investigate his campsite and see it's full of human body parts (including a severed head), as well a tied-up cowboy who you can free.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Hogarth Hughes posted:

What I'd love to see in an RDR sequel is a game where the main character is an Indian. Would be awesome to be a Sioux or Apache fighting the US Calvary. There is really a lot of room for a great story along those lines, and I'm not aware of any western movies with an Indian lead, which seems pretty dumb. Yeah Dances with Wolves and all but this is about the white man getting in touch with the Noble Savage stereotype. I would like to see everything from their perspective for a change.
The only Western movie I can think of with a Native American lead is Geronimo: An American Legend, and I have no idea if it's any good or historically accurate.

The Native American subplot in RDR was really interesting. You knew they were going to lose, but it made it feel more realistic to portray Native Americans getting the shaft as part of the dying West. And, you know, it provided ample opportunity for MacDougal to opine on his "theories" while coked to the gills.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I don't really get all this cougar talk. I think I maybe got jumped by a cougar 4 times playing to 100% in single player. Maybe it's because I'm normally on the move but even when I was looking around for flowers and crap I wouldn't see them very often. If I want to shoot a cougar I have to go to Tanner's Reach and shoot a dozen of them.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

http://i54.tinypic.com/210fs3r.jpg

Kinda spoilery image. Click at your own risk.

GenoCanSing fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

davebo posted:

I don't really get all this cougar talk. I think I maybe got jumped by a cougar 4 times playing to 100% in single player. Maybe it's because I'm normally on the move but even when I was looking around for flowers and crap I wouldn't see them very often. If I want to shoot a cougar I have to go to Tanner's Reach and shoot a dozen of them.
I never had any luck finding them in abundance when I needed them, but I never went to Tanner's Reach to find them either.

They're not as ubiquitous as we're implying, it's just a bit of hyperbole because I can think of plenty of times I was trying to complete some other aspect of the game when all of a sudden my horse would get killed and I was stunned on the ground before getting raped by cougars.

• Locked thread