Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

This sort of counts as a spoiler, you should probably change it into a link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Cougars are giant dicks. When I was finishing up the Master Hunter challenges in Multiplayer, I went up to Tanner's Reach in a wagon (thanks to the helpful advice here) and a shitload of ammo. There must have been twenty cougars there, all pissed because I was in a wagon.

After I got the skin I was looking for, I spent another hour there just shooting cougars. Cruel? Unncessary? Those motherfuckers were getting a dose of being humanity's bitch. When I finally emptied my ammo (the Buffalo Rifle holds a lot), I went back to Marzanita Post and saved. I must have decimated the Cougar population because the only thing there was carasses and blood.

Scummy motherfucking cougars.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I've seen a couple of people in multiplayer that get around 40 kills in a single match and most of them are head shots, didn't they fix the hacking stuff? or is this new?

Spike McMayhem
Jun 3, 2005

Mind if I rape ye, then?
Man, I just ran into that 'Dumbass runs away from wild animals' random event again, and the pantywaist was being chased by a single bobcat.

Sure they're fast, but come on. It's a kitty.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Wow, for the first time ever I saw a stagecoach robbery happen in the wilderness! I was even given the choice between defending and attacking the stagecoach! Of course, I helped the bandits.

Then later as I was shooting the bandits in the back (to steal their cut of course), my horse suddenly fell over and died.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 12, 2010

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

I've seen a couple of people in multiplayer that get around 40 kills in a single match and most of them are head shots, didn't they fix the hacking stuff? or is this new?

They just played a lot and got good. I've been in FFA matches where I've killed over 30 with mostly head shots. You just get a reflex for lock on > nudge stick up > boom. Trust me, the grind up to level 50 really turns you into a murder machine. In fact, after all that, going back to play some of the single player missions I had trouble with is child's play.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
Heh "lock on"...if'n you ain't playin' on expert targeting you ain't playin' right pardner.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
To all the guys complaining about playing as Jack after the end of the main story, I don't see what you're upset about. I love that guy. Plus, the new dialogue is amazing; I dug up some treasure and Marston yelled, "Jack's gettin' an automobile! :haw:"

Also, I wandered into Chuparosa and a guy challenged me to a duel. "You killed my father!" he shouted.

"Okay, sure, let's go," came the retort. "I'll kill you just like I killed him." :clint:

Minorkos posted:

Then later as I was shooting the bandits in the back (to steal their cut of course), my horse suddenly fell over and died.

It may have been bitten by a snake.

Spike McMayhem posted:

Man, I just ran into that 'Dumbass runs away from wild animals' random event again, and the pantywaist was being chased by a single bobcat.

Sure they're fast, but come on. It's a kitty.

Bobcats are loving vicious. If one of them started tearing rear end after me I'd probably run away too.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 12, 2010

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

Bobcats are loving vicious. If one of them started tearing rear end after me I'd probably run away too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPMnZwKHFd4

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

To all the guys complaining about playing as Jack after the end of the main story, I don't see what you're upset about. I love that guy. Plus, the new dialogue is amazing; I dug up some treasure and Marston yelled, "Jack's gettin' an automobile! :haw:"
I put an extra spoiler in there, the game's been out for awhile now so I have no idea if we're still doing that or whatever, but you might want to edit it when you get a chance.

I have no problem playing as Jack, but I did find his voice really abrasive when he's shouting for some reason. I hear "WORK YA drat NAG!" in my nightmares.

Also, you should never feel bad about killing cougars, Mad Doctor Cthulhu. They deserve it. Every bit of it.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

So, I've been looking allll over online and I can't find a single review of Red Dead Redemption that actually does it justice. Not once have I found anything that says more than "the characters are deep and colourful" about the story line or the unique themes surrounding the game.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a professional - but there is definitely story telling worthy of artistic interpretation. I mean, has anyone thought that maybe there's something more to it and it isn't actually a cowboy game. Maybe that's even the point...

The only person I've heard elude to it is Scott Jones from Review on the Run (cough). Anyway, can anyone direct me to a review of the game's story line that takes something like this into consideration? Something regarding the significance of Uncle (the fact that he tried but still kept loving up, and John is ridiculously rude to him due to a past we never actually see), or the modestly underwhelming towns and landscapes (especially the train) that seem to have a far deeper meaning to them.

Then again it could just be another run of the mill game and I'm confusing shallow game devices with something amazing and artistic. gently caress me then.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

A Quiet American posted:

I enjoyed it. Does the third panel imply that the cougars live underground? Because that's terrifying.

Graboid DLC featuring Burt Gummer and some new fangled explosive rifle please.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Thanks to the Disney thread I expected to hear "BLAM!" during that.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Business Raptor posted:

So, I've been looking allll over online and I can't find a single review of Red Dead Redemption that actually does it justice. Not once have I found anything that says more than "the characters are deep and colourful" about the story line or the unique themes surrounding the game.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a professional - but there is definitely story telling worthy of artistic interpretation. I mean, has anyone thought that maybe there's something more to it and it isn't actually a cowboy game. Maybe that's even the point...

The only person I've heard elude to it is Scott Jones from Review on the Run (cough). Anyway, can anyone direct me to a review of the game's story line that takes something like this into consideration? Something regarding the significance of Uncle (the fact that he tried but still kept loving up, and John is ridiculously rude to him due to a past we never actually see), or the modestly underwhelming towns and landscapes (especially the train) that seem to have a far deeper meaning to them.

Then again it could just be another run of the mill game and I'm confusing shallow game devices with something amazing and artistic. gently caress me then.

It's because most reviewers don't actually play through the entire game before writing their reviews, and if they do they don't have time to properly digest it to capture the nuance.

It's the difference between skimming the Cliff's notes for Moby Dick the day before you have a 5-page Lit 101 essay due, and spending a semester researching the book and the criticism from other scholars about it and writing a big old paper at the end.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

A Quiet American posted:

I have no problem playing as Jack, but I did find his voice really abrasive when he's shouting for some reason. I hear "WORK YA drat NAG!" in my nightmares.

That line is especially terrible, yeah. Some of the other stuff is fantastic though. I was searching some random guy I'd murdered for insulting me when out pops this semi-apologetic, self-pitying "I got a lot of problems, mister :smith:"

This game has an amazing way of sucking you in. I played some blackjack, was dealt a 20, sat around looking smug, and was furious when the dealer hit on 14 and ended up with 21. I leaped up from my seat and shot the cheating bastard dead, then fled from the police and holed up in a ravine until they stopped searching. It was only when I'd already started riding to the next town over for a drink that I realized the whole sequence of events was exactly like something a bit character out of an old spaghetti western might do, and I'd been doing it without even thinking about it!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I did see this on the main game page :

quote:

This fall, prepare yourself for a shocking original experience introduced to the world of Red Dead Redemption
- with the Undead Nightmare Pack.

Unleashed upon the world of Red Dead Redemption, the Undead Nightmare Pack will feature an entirely new mostly single-player campaign that follows John Marston as he tries to find a cure for the highly infectious zombie plague that has spread across the frontier.

In addition to this epic new single-player adventure, The Undead Nightmare Pack also features brand new gameplay mechanics, weapons, zombie animals, mythical creatures and even a brand new secret location. All this, plus some exciting new multiplayer modes and much more to be revealed very soon.

The Undead Nightmare Pack will be available simultaneously for download via
PlayStationŽNetwork ($9.99) and Xbox LIVEŽ (800 Microsoft Points).

Emphasis mine. It's gonna kick rear end. Found some decent screens, had to share this one as it sums up the game perfectly.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 13, 2010

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Business Raptor posted:

Relax bro, its a video game.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Emphasis mine. It's gonna kick rear end. Found some decent screens, had to share this one as it sums up the game perfectly.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Nice! This is going to rock. We got a whole load of new stuff coming. This is a good time. :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

gently caress, that's going to be awesome. As if normal bears weren't scary enough in the dark forests of Tall Trees, now there are Zombie Bears.

I can't wait for the inevitable flood of tears from people who don't understand that games are supposed to be fun and instead are all "My realism! There were no zombies in the wild west! :qq:"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I am kinda wondering if we are going to get lucky and have to fight a Skinwalker. That's pretty much the meanest native american "mythical creature" that I can think of besides a Wendigo or a Thunderbird.

Of course, those are the only 3 that come to mind when someone mentions native american mythology to me.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Stare-Out posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable flood of tears from people who don't understand that games are supposed to be fun and instead are all "My realism! There were no zombies in the wild west! :qq:"

Not that anyone lived to tell about anyway.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Well of course there weren't any zombies in the west. Not for long, anyway. They were really slow on the draw and kept losing duels :downs:

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I wonder how bad zombie-animals will be. Zombie bears scare me, yes. But cougars? Fast, sudden AND incredibly hard to kill? :suicide: ( :zombie: )

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Stare-Out posted:

gently caress, that's going to be awesome. As if normal bears weren't scary enough in the dark forests of Tall Trees, now there are Zombie Bears.

Hey! Records from that time period were sketchy at best.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

That line is especially terrible, yeah. Some of the other stuff is fantastic though. I was searching some random guy I'd murdered for insulting me when out pops this semi-apologetic, self-pitying "I got a lot of problems, mister :smith:"

This game has an amazing way of sucking you in. I played some blackjack, was dealt a 20, sat around looking smug, and was furious when the dealer hit on 14 and ended up with 21. I leaped up from my seat and shot the cheating bastard dead, then fled from the police and holed up in a ravine until they stopped searching. It was only when I'd already started riding to the next town over for a drink that I realized the whole sequence of events was exactly like something a bit character out of an old spaghetti western might do, and I'd been doing it without even thinking about it!
Honestly if it weren't for the Elegant Suit I would've never fulfilled the requirement to clear the poker table at Blackwater. I had no idea how to play Texas Hold 'Em going in, so I spent a little while reading the rules online and kept a few probability tables out in front of me. Then I just cheated like a motherfucker. The AI was pretty dumb though, and could almost always be bluffed unless they had a legitimately strong hand.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Bet the zombie thing pulls some sort of crazy Pet Semetary action and is related to a desecrated Native American burial ground or something.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Fuzz posted:

Bet the zombie thing pulls some sort of crazy Pet Semetary action and is related to a desecrated Native American burial ground or something.

That would be the poo poo.

Everybody is assuming zombie animals, but who knows? It says "mythical creatures", could be anything. I WANT TO RIDE A UNICORN (not really)!

I'm really wondering about the new secret location. Maybe it's that mine bottom left of the map below Perdido? They never used that for anything.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

Everybody is assuming zombie animals, but who knows? It says "mythical creatures", could be anything. I WANT TO RIDE A UNICORN (not really)!

I'm really wondering about the new secret location. Maybe it's that mine bottom left of the map below Perdido? They never used that for anything.

It could be anything in the South of Mexico. I've only been out there a few times to do Aztec Gold and a few of the bounties. Then again, we have a DLC coming up with more hideouts so some of them might be there. I'm guessing El Presidio and Torquemada might be hideouts, but you know West Elizabeth and Mexico are going to get the lion's share of that.

My guess for a secret location would be the empty space Northwest of Rathskeller Fork.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Sco Dylan posted:

If I get to ride a unicorn super fast, jumping over obstacles while playing Erasure - Always, I'll be a happy gamer.

Also, nice name/post combo.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.
I don't make a habit of buying DLC, but you can bet your smooth-as-cream-gravy rear end I'm going to buy the Undead Nightmare pack ASAP.

Too bad there isn't MORE single-player focused DLC. I'd kill for a Gay Tony-esque add-on to RDR.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm betting the new secret location will be something with either Aurora Basin or down in Diez Coronas or Sidewinder Gulch.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

Relax bro, its a video game.

My point exactly.

Spike McMayhem
Jun 3, 2005

Mind if I rape ye, then?
I'm hoping they turn Herbert Moon into a ridable mount.

WORK YA drat NAG
oh my god get off me I swear I'll invest in better store security!!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Dual pistol belt and sawed off shotguns as a pistol weapon and I'll be happy. I'd want to use the sights on the Sharps but that's probably too involved for DLC :(

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Fuzz posted:

I'm betting the new secret location will be something with either Aurora Basin or down in Diez Coronas or Sidewinder Gulch.

It might just be a "door" that loads a new place maybe? Or maybe you hop on a boat and go to some other separate small map?

Still wonder if they had any plans with the empty mine in Mexico.

Capn Beeb posted:

Dual pistol belt and sawed off shotguns as a pistol weapon and I'll be happy. I'd want to use the sights on the Sharps but that's probably too involved for DLC :(

Well it does say new gameplay mechanics...though it'll probably be something to do with killing zombies.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Horseticuffs posted:

I don't make a habit of buying DLC, but you can bet your smooth-as-cream-gravy rear end I'm going to buy the Undead Nightmare pack ASAP.

Too bad there isn't MORE single-player focused DLC. I'd kill for a Gay Tony-esque add-on to RDR.

Herbert Mooooon is Gay Tony. His attempts to open up a homosexual-themed nightclub in Blackwater involve a young Jack Marston who, caught up in the night-life of the big city, involves him getting in with the Bureau, the Walton Gang, and various others who want Moooooon dead and buried.

God, I need sleep.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Guys, we haven't decided whether or not this zombie invasion is canon! We need to debate about this for the next 3 pages.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Minorkos posted:

Guys, we haven't decided whether or not this zombie invasion is canon! We need to debate about this for the next 3 pages.

Dream sequence.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
I hope the zombie invasion starts from that creepy abandoned church just outside Armadillo. Maybe tumbleweed mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FantasyMissionForce
Jun 21, 2009

Rocky? This is a military action! He's not suitable!
Guys have you heard about the next DLC after the zombies? It's gonna add a brand new secret 11th rank of Survivalist where you hunt for monkey cheese.

• Locked thread