Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.
I thought it was established, and I forget where I read it, that the zombies were the result of a renegade Native American shaman who had like a cult-type/Pet Semetary type thing going on ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank
Still say it should have been Westworld themed :colbert:

Also I hope to god that after the last of these DLC packs have been released they announce a PC port. Don't make me buy a console Rockstar. I never play them enough to justify the money they cost. C'mon man.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Please tell me Uncle rises from the grave

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

FantasyMissionForce posted:

Guys have you heard about the next DLC after the zombies? It's gonna add a brand new secret 11th rank of Survivalist where you hunt for monkey cheese.

In the next DLC, Jack must join up with Lowell Katz. Does he haz the courage?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Scarf posted:

Please tell me Uncle rises from the grave

Ironically he's more active as a dead man than a live one.

Canonwise, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of Reanimator type deal with the Bureau testing something for the First World War that gets out of hand.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Its a video game, its going to be a shaman curse or cursed indian artifact or suchlike.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You guys are all missing the obvious question: What if John Marston is one of the undead, back from the grave?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Fuzz posted:

You guys are all missing the obvious question: What if John Marston is one of the undead, back from the grave?

Kill him and skin him. Just like you showed me, Pa!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Fuzz posted:

I was just thinking that, and if that's the case I will play the gently caress out of it.

e: the little blurb says it follows John. So, maybe (please God let this be true) you play as ZOMBIE JOHN

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Canonwise, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of Reanimator type deal with the Bureau testing something for the First World War that gets out of hand.

I hope they don't bother with canon and just make it a different kind of game mode you can enter from the start screen. Trying to cram a zombie apocalypse into what is a reasonably historically-accurate game would kind of ruin the fun.

:goonsay:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
More single player stuff is nice but mainly I just want to go a-zombie huntin' with my posse. Also wouldn't zombie cougars be pretty lethargic and easy to kill? Do animal zombies still want human brains, or just brains from their species, or any brains at all?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

davebo posted:

Also wouldn't zombie cougars be pretty lethargic and easy to kill?

I'd imagine zombie cougars are approximately as lethargic and easy to kill as living bears are loud and solitary.

That is to say, zombie cougars will be exactly as fast and horrible as regular cougars, except they also won't make any sound and will cause your horse to turn into a zombie and attack you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'd imagine zombie cougars are approximately as lethargic and easy to kill as living bears are loud and solitary.

That is to say, zombie cougars will be exactly as fast and horrible as regular cougars, except they also won't make any sound and will cause your horse to turn into a zombie and attack you.

And they won't die unless you shoot them in the head!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

davebo posted:

More single player stuff is nice but mainly I just want to go a-zombie huntin' with my posse. Also wouldn't zombie cougars be pretty lethargic and easy to kill? Do animal zombies still want human brains, or just brains from their species, or any brains at all?

Zombie Cougars are their own revenge cougars.

Zombie bears? Are just horrifying.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

davebo posted:

There's 2 kinds of zombies. One type is the classic wrapped in bandages, arms straight out, shuffling along going "moooaaan"

Then there's the "fast zombie" type, such as Half Life 2's and I Am Legend's kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCFdpOMiCzs

Imagine hearing this at night, in the woods.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Remmiz posted:

Speaking of HERBERT MOOOON...if you punch him a couple times so he fights back and pull a gun on him (but don't shoot), he will pull his out and start shooting at you. This triggers the law enforcement to take him down. However, Herbert Moon is built like a tank and will seriously take out every law enforcement officer in Armadillo and still be ready to take on even more. Quite hilarious to watch HERBERT MOON just take hundreds of shots and dole out mass carnage.

I tried this today and it was the funniest thing I've seen in the game.

After I got Herbert Moon to start shooting me about three cops came into the shop and proceded to open fire on him. About a minute later all the cops were dead and Herbert had about 100 bullets in his torso and 10 in his head (You could see the red spots and everything) and he was still going strong minus two working legs.

After a while another cop came in to finish the job. Herbert still managed to take him down but shortly after he started to spaz out and after five minutes of the worm he died.

R.I.P Herbert Moon, may you curse the Jews in heaven.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Cabinet posted:

I tried this today and it was the funniest thing I've seen in the game.

After I got Herbert Moon to start shooting me about three cops came into the shop and proceded to open fire on him. About a minute later all the cops were dead and Herbert had about 100 bullets in his torso and 10 in his head (You could see the red spots and everything) and he was still going strong minus two working legs.

After a while another cop came in to finish the job. Herbert still managed to take him down but shortly after he started to spaz out and after five minutes of the worm he died.

R.I.P Herbert Moon, may you curse the Jews in heaven.

Rockstar needs to make this a short. Herbert Moooooon, Falling Dooooown.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Hogarth Hughes posted:

What I'd love to see in an RDR sequel is a game where the main character is an Indian. Would be awesome to be a Sioux or Apache fighting the US Calvary. There is really a lot of room for a great story along those lines, and I'm not aware of any western movies with an Indian lead, which seems pretty dumb. Yeah Dances with Wolves and all but this is about the white man getting in touch with the Noble Savage stereotype. I would like to see everything from their perspective for a change.

The only ones I can really think of are Navajo Joe (starring Burt Reynolds) and the TV series Brave Eagle.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ak Gara posted:

There's 2 kinds of zombies. One type is the classic wrapped in bandages, arms straight out, shuffling along going "moooaaan"

Then there's the "fast zombie" type, such as Half Life 2's and I Am Legend's kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCFdpOMiCzs

Imagine hearing this at night, in the woods.
Wrapped in bandages, arms straight out moaning? That's mummies. The old zombies just had tattered clothing. I don't think sticking 28 days later style zombies in the old west would be very canon :colbert:

Also what are revenge cougars? You mean they get revenge on the creature that turned them into a zombie? Well certainly it wasn't me, because I shot them all in the head the first time!

Edit: vv oh gotcha, that makes sense. One time that happened with a bear so once i killed the revenge bear i just stood there instead of trying to skin it, and sure enough like 14 bears came at me in the span of a few minutes.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 13, 2010

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

davebo posted:

Also what are revenge cougars? You mean they get revenge on the creature that turned them into a zombie? Well certainly it wasn't me, because I shot them all in the head the first time!

Revenge cougars are when you kill a cougar and then, while you're skinning it or reloading or something, another cougar materializes from nowhere and starts mauling the poo poo out of you from behind in revenge for its fallen brother.

You'll sometimes see hilariously long revenge-cougar chains, where you've killed a dozen cougars and every time you turn around there's another one where there wasn't before, and it's charging right at you.

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
Personally, I hope zombification ends up being an unforeseen side effect of Nigel West Dickens' elixir.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

You know, it has been established that the zombie DLC is John only. No jack, taking place in 1911...so its finally a way to have permanent freeroam as John, which is what a lot of us were bitching for. Besides, the zombie world has stuff that the vanilla game won't, so looks like there won't be any reason to NOT just do the zombie game in single player, even after the missions are over.

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

The only ones I can really think of are Navajo Joe (starring Burt Reynolds) and the TV series Brave Eagle.

Yeah see I've never heard of either of these things and can't imagine they were any good based on what I've just read. I think a video game would be a really good environment to deal with this perspective. We also need to be able to shoot arrows from horseback in bullet time, this is important.

GenoCanSing posted:

You know, it has been established that the zombie DLC is John only. No jack, taking place in 1911...so its finally a way to have permanent freeroam as John, which is what a lot of us were bitching for. Besides, the zombie world has stuff that the vanilla game won't, so looks like there won't be any reason to NOT just do the zombie game in single player, even after the missions are over.

Source?

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Hogarth Hughes posted:

Source?

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddea..._nightmare_pack

quote:

Unleashed upon the world of Red Dead Redemption, the Undead Nightmare Pack will feature an entirely new single-player campaign that follows John Marston as he tries to find a cure for the highly infectious zombie plague that has spread across the frontier.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

I think you're reading a tad too much into that statement. Not that I don't wish you were right.

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:
Oops, nevermind.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I hope it's a long campaign. I'd love more action-packed adventures.

Any more guesses on where this new part of the map is, or the location of those hideouts in the upcoming Free Roam September DLC?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

GenoCanSing posted:

Unleashed upon the world of Red Dead Redemption, the Undead Nightmare Pack will feature an entirely new single-player campaign that follows John Marston as he tries to find a cure for the highly infectious zombie plague that has spread across the frontier.

Yeah, I think R* just might be censoring themselves on the big reveal of their latest game here. You know, for the unfortunate souls who have not exposed themselves to the pure concentrated joy that is RDR.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I just finished this game for the first time today (I know, I'm late to the party) and I literally yelled "YES" at the top of my lungs when the final title card popped up. It was just such a perfect moment, a perfect way to end an incredible Western story. From beginning to end and everywhere in between, this was the most fun I've ever had with a game like this. :woop:

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
I wonder if we'll be able to herd zombie cattle? I suppose you'd drag a hogtied Herbert Moon in front of them.

I just figured out that when I use the rolling block rifle, the white ring around the scope strongly hints at the location of my target. If it's glowing I'm spot on.

Is this feature usual in games nowadays? I have no idea.

bitey fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 14, 2010

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Whoever it was that first said to bait Herbert Moon into shooting you so the law comes after him, thank you.

I just got him and a guy that looks exactly like him but with a fancy vest and hat to go all Unforgiven on Armadillo.

I just hid behind a box and watched Herbert and his doppelganger fill every lawman within miles full of lead.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

A Quiet American posted:

Honestly if it weren't for the Elegant Suit I would've never fulfilled the requirement to clear the poker table at Blackwater. I had no idea how to play Texas Hold 'Em going in, so I spent a little while reading the rules online and kept a few probability tables out in front of me. Then I just cheated like a motherfucker. The AI was pretty dumb though, and could almost always be bluffed unless they had a legitimately strong hand.

Don't use probability tables or play like people advise you to play real hold'em. This is Hollywood hold'em, where you should always go for the straight if you have a shot at it, bluff big and play loose. It's so loving fun. Regular hold'em feels like a huge grind in comparison.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Sco Dylan posted:

Whoever it was that first said to bait Herbert Moon into shooting you so the law comes after him, thank you.

I just got him and a guy that looks exactly like him but with a fancy vest and hat to go all Unforgiven on Armadillo.

I just hid behind a box and watched Herbert and his doppelganger fill every lawman within miles full of lead.

I can't seem to do it. :( I tried pointing a gun at him, and beating him up. The closest I get is that he'll run out the back, and pull some sort of rifle when I chase him.

:(

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Sir Spaniard posted:

I can't seem to do it. :( I tried pointing a gun at him, and beating him up. The closest I get is that he'll run out the back, and pull some sort of rifle when I chase him.

:(

Here is how you do it

1. Approach a Herbert Moon
2. Engage in fisticuffs, the Herbert Moon will either fight or flee
3. Whatever he's doing, point a gun at him. Even if he's running away from you, you can still point a gun at his back
4. The Herbert Moon will draw his Winchester and proceed to unload on you, find cover
5. Local law enforcement will come and try to neutralize the Herbert Moon
6. Watch as Moon-instincts take over the now-feral Herbert Moon

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Man I finally finished the game. Definitely one of the best plots I've seen in that kind of game. Although I was hoping the world would be more different now. It looks like Abigail's tombstone says 1914 so at least 3 years have passed, and Jack looks like he aged more than 3 years so it could be even more... I haven't found a newspaper man yet. But I rode into Blackwater and everything is exactly the same. I was hoping there'd be a couple more cars parked on the side of the street at least or something to show that time had gone by

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I was hoping I'd be able to buy a car and trundle around honking the horn and driving into rivers. When you whistle for your horse you could instead have your trusty valet come bumping over the fields in your automobile :haw:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Earwicker posted:

Man I finally finished the game. Definitely one of the best plots I've seen in that kind of game. Although I was hoping the world would be more different now. It looks like Abigail's tombstone says 1914 so at least 3 years have passed, and Jack looks like he aged more than 3 years so it could be even more... I haven't found a newspaper man yet. But I rode into Blackwater and everything is exactly the same. I was hoping there'd be a couple more cars parked on the side of the street at least or something to show that time had gone by

You may not be quite as done as you think. Maybe you are, but keep looking around blackwater.

Augustus Rumpus
Sep 23, 2007

code:
McEnroe!

Earwicker posted:

And make sure you buy that newspaper, just about every article is relevant to your interests.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Make sure to read the marriage announcements as well :haw:

It will definitely color your idea of the old west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I was hoping I'd be able to buy a car and trundle around honking the horn and driving into rivers. When you whistle for your horse you could instead have your trusty valet come bumping over the fields in your automobile :haw:

From the second you ride in one during that mission in Blackwater, I was hoping I would be able to drive one. Sadly they missed out on what could have been the most fun thing to do in the game.

(Besides making Herbert Moon go Rambo on Armadillo.)

• Locked thread