Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah if you're serious about playing then you just need to keep shouting at them, there's nothing else you can do. Even just in training kickabouts with my team, if I'm playing in defense I'll usually try and stay back, if everyone else is pushing forward I'll make sure they know they need to track back too. Even when the defense isn't pushing up I'm usually shouting at midfielders who don't track back either because then we'll get outnumbered when the other team pushes up (this is with more than 8 a side by the way).

I know it seems a bit SERIOUS BUSINESS or whatever but it's lovely if you're constantly giving away stupid goals because your teammates are lazy/tired. If they're tired, they shouldn't be pushing up forward.

Yeah, I've only been playing with this team for a few weeks so don't want to be giving the people who've been playing for a year a bollocking. Plus I tend to come off/on as my stamina dictates, whereas some of the other lads stay on the pitch for the whole match -- so they're probably too knackered to track back and a bit less receptive to someone who's been sat on the side getting his breath back for five minutes.

mikewozere posted:

If it's 5 a-side I assume the pitch your playing on isn't very big. In 2vs1 situations I tend to do what you describe. I can't understand how you're getting caught out with a goalwards pass though, if you're playing on a 5-a-side pitch, unless you're defending on the halfway line? I tend to try to force the attacker wide while blocking the pass. If he wants to then shoot from a tight angle, let him and blame your goalkeeper if he lets a weak goal in like that. Most players with any sense will always look to pass to the free man opposite them, so force him down the line and try and hold him up until some of your players get back. If he shoots from a tight angle and it goes in, it's your goalkeepers fault. If you hold him up and he still gets a pass away, it's your team-mates fault for not tracking back. Not much more you can do yourself, personally.

I think this might reveal part of the problem: I should hang a little farther back to get ahead of players. If they can get a pass away it's either because they've outrun me (nothing I can do about that other than take up better positions), or because I've put my foot in and they've been able to knock the ball past me -- in which case there's not too much I can do, unless I just don't try to win the ball at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Umbriago posted:

Yeah, I've only been playing with this team for a few weeks so don't want to be giving the people who've been playing for a year a bollocking. Plus I tend to come off/on as my stamina dictates, whereas some of the other lads stay on the pitch for the whole match -- so they're probably too knackered to track back and a bit less receptive to someone who's been sat on the side getting his breath back for five minutes.
5 a side is tough and people need to know when to come off. It's rolling subs so if you're bolloxed, come off for 5 or 10 minutes to catch a breather. I know it's hard to tell people stuff like this when you're in a new team and all, but they'll need to learn at some stage. If you have subs there's no reason for someone to be on the pitch for the full 60 minutes or however long you're playing.

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!
I started playing with a meetup squad in LA at Westchester Park. They use small practice goals so every shot is either wide or too hard. No real touch lines, no throw ins or corner kicks. You get knocked down, get your rear end back up and win the ball. Real man poo poo.

The teams are usually dominated by one dude from Italy who has some drat good footwork and vision. I had to defend him and was able to keep up but he's getting some crosses in that have been quite close.

Any tips on defending wide since he likes to wing poo poo into the box?

Save Russian Jews posted:

Done. Everyone else, sorry but I have to go with the first guy to answer or I'm probably a dick.

Thank you btw! Been using some of these challenges during my works outs after running.

Kiros fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 9, 2010

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Kiros posted:

Any tips on defending wide since he likes to wing poo poo into the box?

Pressure, pressure, pressure. Force him to make a mistake. Most wingers I played against have always had one or two moves to lose a defender - learn those moves and anticipate them. It's common sense, I know, but it's the best I can give. The less time he has on the ball to make an accurate cross the better.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kiros posted:

I started playing with a meetup squad in LA at Westchester Park. They use small practice goals so every shot is either wide or too hard. No real touch lines, no throw ins or corner kicks. You get knocked down, get your rear end back up and win the ball. Real man poo poo.
Just FYI it's only the professions who roll around pretending to be injured.

Also yeah just close that guy down, don't step in because he'll probably just knock the ball past you. Try to anticipate what he's going to do then challenge him, attempt to block his crosses. Might help if you can note whether he's one-footed or not because he might e.g. feint a cross with his "bad" foot so that you'll go to block and he'll be able to make the space for a cross with his "good" one or whatever.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 9, 2010

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii

Umbriago posted:

I think this might reveal part of the problem: I should hang a little farther back to get ahead of players. If they can get a pass away it's either because they've outrun me (nothing I can do about that other than take up better positions), or because I've put my foot in and they've been able to knock the ball past me -- in which case there's not too much I can do, unless I just don't try to win the ball at all.

I'd say don't commit too much to challenges. I rarely dive in to tackles, I just tend to stand off the man and prevent him from doing anything productive. If he lets the ball run too far away or dwells too long on it then fair enough, put a foot in and try and win the ball, but generally in 5-a-side if you go diving in you're just going to get abused, especially as slide-tackling is a no-no.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Umbriago posted:

Good defending isn't always about winning the ball back. Just get in his way and slow him down so your team mates can get back and support you. Running with the ball under close control at speed is a difficult skill and most players will kick the ball further ahead of themselves as they speed up. This means there's a limit where if he goes any quicker you will get to the ball and clear it before he can touch it again. If he passes there is also a delay while the other player receives the ball and controls it, if you're well positioned then by the time he's ready to take a shot you can be in position to block it and they've made no progress. If you position yourself well while your teammates get back you can really make life difficult for the attackers, but if you commit yourself to the challenge you're only making their lives easier.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Right, thanks for the advice. Next Wednesday I'll try to consciously do certain things differently:

1. Stay a few yards back goalside of the last man so that, whichever way he turns, I've got a start on him.

2. Just jockey the player rather than putting a foot in. Only try to retrieve the ball if he's lost control of it. Otherwise, limit what he can do with the ball.

3. When I'm on the ball, play it a lot quicker. So far I've been jogging with the ball, trying to draw a defender and pick a pass. I don't think this is too smart at five-a-side; playing at a quicker tempo keeps pressure on the opposition.

4. Shout at my teammates to make sure they're in the right places at the right times.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Yeah, in 5s I lost count of the number of times I had to tell my teammates to play the pass while it's on. I would move into space and not get the ball, only to have to it wildly booted in my direction 5 seconds later when I'm marked because the player in possession was finally closed down and didn't have a good option any more. If you've got the technical skills to take somebody on and you're not the last man then go for it because that's a good first step to gaining a man advantage in an attack in 5s, but if you don't meet those criteria then concentrate on getting the ball quickly to someone who does and then supporting them rather than making life difficult for yourself.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

I won't try anything like that just yet, I'll just try to take over the water carrier role. I don't mind mopping up at the back and starting attacks: I started playing to work on my fitness and reading of the game since I want to play DM/CM in 11s later next year if/when I go to uni for graduate study. Pity my fitness loving sucks for 11s, let alone 5s.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
I've just started 11s after years of doing 5s, 6s, 7s. You need to be ridiculously fit if you're going to be playing midfield. I'm not there yet but do have the first touch, ball control and passing that's been imparted through countless 5-a-side games. I honestly think everyone's football career should start on the 5-a-side pitch, like they do with futsal in Brazil. It forces you to master the basics before stepping up to the real thing where positioning and fitness are more important.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Football is a beautiful sport, and I truly love it. I play it every day, my friends call me Cruyf cause I play with the number 14 hehe. I love to play the beautiful game. Bye.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 10, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

it's never the keepers fault, every goal you concede in 5's the keeper has absolute rights to bawl out his team unless he's physically thrown the ball into the net himself.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
I dunno, I've played with some pretty poo poo keepers. Most of them never seem to understand the crossbar is just above their waist and spend the entire match with about 40% of their body outside of the goals.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
My regular keeper has a bad habit of getting beat at his near post, so it's always a little awkward leaving the man on the ball enough space to get a shot off even at tight angles. I try to give them enough room to dawdle without opening myself to getting passed around, it's all you can really do.

Only football I've been getting regularly lately is a 7-a-side kickabout at Man City's training ground (yeah we're pretty elite). It's the same guys every week with slightly different teams, it's nice and relaxed but it's fairly samey and more about fitness.

Had a good game of 11-a-side in Ireland over the summer though. Had a family wedding out west of Derry, and the locals had organised a Groom's family vs Bride's family (I'm a distant relative of the latter) match for the day after the wedding. On the day of the wedding all the lads were ashen-faced as they approached to inform me the Groom's family had brought their own matching kits with numbers in order an' everythin. Things were made worse when during both of the best men's speeches it was implied that our family couldn't play football, even a bit.

Anyway, the following day (4 glasses of whiskey and 3 glasses of stout, since you ask) we lined up, us in our various clashing styles and colours of kit, them in the trashy red and white stripes of Derry bastard City. Since I've never really played 11-a-side properly when they talked positions I just opted for up front and minimal responsibility.

I ran them ragged and we won 4 - 0. I ran in behind, ran into space to move them out of position, ran at them with the ball, tackled in midfield and generally made an absolute nuisance of myself. But I also missed more chances than a hungover Emile Heskey, and it was left to my 55 year old strike partner to get a hat-trick, including a 35 yarder from a bad clearance by the keeper. Afterwards in the pub I'd turned into a celebrity for the evening, with most of both families having turned out to watch (which guiltily brought to mind the one missed chance that had caused me to wheel away from the goal, screaming profanity). Everyone was complimentary, except for the da, who helpfully pointed out to all that I missed more chances than Robbie Keane. :shobon:

RedPaddy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 11, 2010

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
Looking to get back into playing football after several years off but I don't have a clue where to start boots-wise.
I don't want anything super fancy just a decent pair of boots I can play in that don't cost a ton. Any advice?

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii

RedPaddy posted:

Man City's training ground (yeah we're pretty elite).

Not far off Wilmslow road? I used to play there in a Sunday 6-a-side league. I can only really remember coming back in the morning from a Saturday out in Newcastle with my house mates, being sick on the way back to Manchester, heaving on the pitch and coming away with a remarkable victory.

Mashed Potato I recently started 11 a side and opted for some £50 pair of mercurial vapors. They're moulded so should suit hard and soft ground although I was slipping a bit when the rain picked up last Sunday. They're about first generation I think. Their prices are £50 for normal, about £90 to show the laces on the front and about £120 for the ones Cristiano Ronaldo wears. Well, that seems to be their differences anyway.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Mashed Potato posted:

Looking to get back into playing football after several years off but I don't have a clue where to start boots-wise.
I don't want anything super fancy just a decent pair of boots I can play in that don't cost a ton. Any advice?

Just go to your nearest sporting goods store and try them on, just don't spend more than $60, because being your first pair, if you really enjoy the game, you'll want better ones. Any decent $50 pair of boots will work admirably for at least a year, unless you play in mud everyday.

BISCUIT_TINS
Dec 23, 2008
I play for my secondary school team (not secondary like a B team but like secondary school as in high school) and I guess my main position is keeper, but we have a loving brilliant keeper so I mostly player either right back or right wing, depending on the condition of our main right back who almost always has a broken ankle, poor sod.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mashed Potato posted:

I don't like them personally but Adidas Copa Mundials have been around forever and are still only like $100 which is ridiculous for a pair of kangaroo leather boots.

Plenty of professionals wear them too.

Your best bet is always to go try boots on and buy a pair that's the most comfortable to you.

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Going to get a pair early next week.

Thinking of going for a pair of firm ground boots to start with and if all goes well maybe picking up a pair for soft ground in a couple of months when the weather will be getting worse, is this a sensible idea or if possible should I try and get a pair of each? It's been a good 6 years since I last played and I can't remember how well FG boots do when its a bit wet.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I would get firm ground boots even if you're not likely to use them over winter. They're fine if it's damp, you only really need to switch when the ground is actually muddy, but playing in soft ground boots when it's too dry is a good way to both give yourself blisters and risk getting an injury when your foot is planted during a tackle. I'd rather my boots gave way than my ankle ligaments.

As for the actual boots themselves, if you're working to a budget and don't care about who wears what boots or questionable technological advances then your only criteria really is comfort, so like Shrapnac says just get the most comfortable pair you can find.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

In the past few years I've probably bought six or eight pair of firm ground boots and one or two pair of soft ground boots. Take that as you will.

It's never a bad idea to have a pair of soft ground boots but they're really not necessary unless the field is really really soft.

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
Cheers guys, will probably be picking up a pair of firm ground boots tomorrow then!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm the assistant coach for my sister's team, how do I get the stupid fuckers to stop bunching up on offense and clearing up the middle on defense? They're sixteen and pretty good but they seem to think that being fast is license to poo poo the game away.

Edit: So far I've tried
1. Shouting
2. Cursing
3. Shouting
4. Passing drills
5. Shouting

(I played mostly defensive positions when I was younger, until about 17, and this poo poo seems really elementary to me.)

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 13, 2010

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Some keep-ball training exercises? Bibs vs Non Bibs until they're forced to find space. No goals or anything, just have them keep the ball and look for space. Stop the game every now and then and point out massive areas of space someone should be in/running into or a pass the person in possession could have picked out.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Started the new coed 11s season off with a 5-0 trouncing of the other team, I had some nice runs forward and a very nice shot on goal that should've gone in given I was only about 10' away but the keeper made an all-or-nothing save and he got all and I got nothing. :(

Looks like I'll be moving up to midfield, too, given we've got more defenders than we need this season and I seem to be more fit and have better footskills (relatively speaking) than the others. Going to be a huge change for me since I'll be playing center mid and I've always ALWAYS played on the wings, but I'm looking forward to broadening my game, hopefully. Any advice/pointers/tips for a left/right back moving to center mid? I know tracking back for defense is key, as a fullback I try to play more of a wingback style so I'm used to that. My tendency now is to push out to the wing when we're in possession, any tips on how to break that habit? Or do I even need to?

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
Friendly reminder :)

One of our defenders went down in a normal tackle, and so did a midfielder from the opposing team. They both hit the ball on opposite sides, and the midfielders foot bounced of the ball and hit my teammate.. A lot of yelling, ambulance and some N2O. Never fun to hear your friend scream like that :-(

We even lost the game.. Crappy sunday

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

loving hell.

Umbriago
Aug 27, 2004

Makes me feel like a wimp for spending the last week complaining about the kicking I took this past Wednesday.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shrapnac posted:

I don't like them personally but Adidas Copa Mundials have been around forever and are still only like $100 which is ridiculous for a pair of kangaroo leather boots.

Plenty of professionals wear them too.

Your best bet is always to go try boots on and buy a pair that's the most comfortable to you.

Do any boots (whether series ala Predators, or particular brands) tend to be easier and softer on your feet than others? I'm using low-level Predators on really, really firm ground when playing Aussie Rules, and my feet are always hosed up because of it. I'm not in the market for new boots yet, but just keeping things in mind for when I am.

Probably will also try to get some inserts to add cushion to the sole, too, for the short-term.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

harperdc posted:

Do any boots (whether series ala Predators, or particular brands) tend to be easier and softer on your feet than others? I'm using low-level Predators on really, really firm ground when playing Aussie Rules, and my feet are always hosed up because of it. I'm not in the market for new boots yet, but just keeping things in mind for when I am.

Probably will also try to get some inserts to add cushion to the sole, too, for the short-term.

Obviously the higher end boots will have better cushioning and stuff like that.

If you're looking for comfort you want to avoid any of the boots that are marketed toward "speed" like the Vapors, F50s(Adizero), and the Puma V series. They're ultralight so they don't have much in the way of cushioning or anything like that.

Boots like Predators, Nike Total 90s, or CTR360s, Puma PowerCats are generally bulkier and offer more in the way of cushioning and protection.

If you're having issues playing on really really firm ground you might want to look into a pair of turfs or a pair of hard ground boots. Hard ground boots have shorter studs and more of them but they're slightly longer than turfs.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I have a pair of CTR360 Maestris and I can't say they're particularly comfortable. The memory foam pads are on the outside of the boot and the instep but everything else is very thin, the tongue in particular is just 2-3mm of the synthetic material and it's aligned to run right down your second metatarsal so getting stood on is particularly bad as you have almost no protection, but the all round fit isn't great either. They look pretty good but I don't see any reason to take them over the T90 series.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Played my first game in a couple years my fitness was probably the worst thing that and playing in Arizona in the 105 degree heat loving blows. Though we tied against a team that had matching kits and everything with our goalkeeper blocking a pk so it was pretty fun to play again.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Umbriago posted:

Yeah, my main problem (besides fitness) is knowing what to do when it's 2v1, and if/when to stick close to the striker or drop off. Generally most goals my team concedes are because the other three outfield players have pushed up front and the other team have two players hanging around our end of the pitch for a clearance, with only me to try to stop them. So I come to the man with the ball and force him wide, but he only needs to play a goalwards pass into space for the second man to be through on goal with no one marking. Shouting at my teammates keeps them marking for another four or five minutes but then they get lazy/knackered again. I suppose I should just keep shouting.

For small sided games if you are the last defender contain the person with the ball and cut off the attack until he goes for the shot then attempt to make a standing tackle while still in position to block the passing rout. You miss, he still has to beat the keeper. If he gets the pass off it is an open goal.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
In a small sided game playing with your back to goal as Striker is the most fun thing you can do. If you are a strong guy just hold the ball as far from your body as you can with your back right up in the defender, moving it only away so he can't get a touch. You have full vision of your players to motion for a midfielder to support in the attack, and boom, through ball or your defender picks him up and you can turn and shoot. Very fun because it's so easy not to gently caress up.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My team of misfits played a game on Saturday. We played against a great team. Not because they're good, but because they're just a great group of guys to play with. Really positive, friendly. They're all a bunch of Africans (really, they're all a bunch of guys from Africa), so it's a nice change of pace from the mostly angry middle-class White guys we play against.

Anyway, out of our 19 man roster only ten people decided to show up. I had to play striker for the entire game in 95 degree heat in the middle of the day.

I ended up scoring a goal. A nice poacher by chasing down a bad pass from the defense to the goalie. Since I knew it would probably be my only goal of the game, I decided to do every goal celebration I could think of. I did Klose's ring kiss/jump fist pump celebration, followed by an airplane, followed by a knee slide.

We ended up losing 13-2, lol.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

tbp posted:

In a small sided game playing with your back to goal as Striker is the most fun thing you can do. If you are a strong guy just hold the ball as far from your body as you can with your back right up in the defender, moving it only away so he can't get a touch. You have full vision of your players to motion for a midfielder to support in the attack, and boom, through ball or your defender picks him up and you can turn and shoot. Very fun because it's so easy not to gently caress up.

That's basically how I play when I'm up front. Drop deep, win the ball, pass it to someone good, run back up, wrestle around a bit and either have a go at getting at the cross or dropping down again and pull a defender or two with me.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Got my first yellow card in years yesterday, for foul language of all things. A woman on the other team was chasing down a ball that was way out of her range, I clear it easily and had enough time to watch it sail over an attacker and reach a teammate in the midfield when then next thing I know I've got cleats smashing my foot and two fists and an elbow in my gut. I immediately yell "WHAT THE gently caress?!?" because the ball was so far away from us by the time it happened, and so the ref stops play and cards me. And tells me he's being lenient, even. I tell him I'd hate to see what happens when I get some teeth knocked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Did he not warn the other player?