Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

dud root posted:

OK I watched the video, I even played too much SF2 10 years ago, but what is going on? Why does it zoom in on Sagat- is that his ultra that misses?

The footage doesn't make it very clear, but that's pretty much it. Ultra moves zoom in on your character while they yell something and pose, and then they do the move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

IF A ROBOT IS BUILT IN THE FORM OF HUMAN BEINGS IT IS HARAAM
The only way I can think of to grief in a fighting game, other than using "cheap" moves, is when you're playing someone who thinks they're good because they've kinda figured out how to pull off a couple special moves or combos. This is where you button-mash: you wait til they start making contortions with the joystick/d-pad, then lay into them with simple moves (e.g. heavy attack). This works best when you pick a character that has a powerful or snazzy-looking basic move.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

dud root posted:

OK I watched the video, I even played too much SF2 10 years ago, but what is going on? Why does it zoom in on Sagat- is that his ultra that misses?

Basically what happened is, that the Viper player completely whiffed his Ultra, so Sagat was wide open to counter it, and he did it by countering with an ultra of his own. Except, he timed it wrong and it completely missed, so he started celebrating while his Ultra animation was playing completely oblivious that he missed. The Viper player notices that it whiffed and gets back on his controller and finishes the match before the Sagat player realizes what has happened.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

I Love You! posted:

Now, for anyone that does not know,

I Love You! posted:

proc on random ticks of a dot

I like how you explained what grounding totems were only to devolve into incomprehensible jargon within the same post.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Category Fun! posted:

Taking fighting games at all seriously is terrible because even the most "skilled" players can be beat by button mashing or spamming the most powerful moves.
In unbalanced games like Mortal Kombat or Marvel vs. Capcom 2, maybe. Most games with a lot of play-testing favour the frame-counters.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 14, 2010

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Thanks for the street fighter explanation. Last time I played it didnt have powerups, excessive flashing lights, or Ryu vs Pokemon. I even had SF1 on Atari 1024, where Sagat was the boss!

One last question, is 'whiffed' from SF, or just a generic term? I've never heard it before, also it sounds too much like yiff

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

clamiam posted:

The only way I can think of to grief in a fighting game, other than using "cheap" moves, is when you're playing someone who thinks they're good because they've kinda figured out how to pull off a couple special moves or combos. This is where you button-mash: you wait til they start making contortions with the joystick/d-pad, then lay into them with simple moves (e.g. heavy attack). This works best when you pick a character that has a powerful or snazzy-looking basic move.
Soul Calibur 4 introduced online play, so I made a small, shrill and muscled guy with a bondage mask, pink thong, white gloves and a big brown stick. I called him "Dr. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO".

It helped that the moveset he used was full of cheap bullshit, like poking people in the foot from a screen-length away. Win or lose I would always get kicked from lobbies.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 14, 2010

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

dud root posted:

Thanks for the street fighter explanation. Last time I played it didnt have powerups, excessive flashing lights, or Ryu vs Pokemon. I even had SF1 on Atari 1024, where Sagat was the boss!

One last question, is 'whiffed' from SF, or just a generic term? I've never heard it before, also it sounds too much like yiff

It's a generic term that has been around for quite some time.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

dud root posted:

"Whiff" is onomatopoeia for missing completely, no contact.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

IF A ROBOT IS BUILT IN THE FORM OF HUMAN BEINGS IT IS HARAAM

dud root posted:

Haha, hey guys I'm gonna grief the griefing thread. How original!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I Love You! posted:

Well, here's a WoW story that I figure I can tell.

Back when TBC came out and everyone was leveling to 70 or whatever, there was a specific quest item that caught my eye.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=29737

This item, Navuud's concoction, was a random little potion that sat in your inventory and gave you a clickable buff "Lasers eyes". This was used to split up these little slime mobs so you could kill them or collect them or something stupid and finish the quest.

I never finished the quest, so I never turned the thing in.

You see, I noticed a few things that were odd about this item. First off, the effect if gave you took up a buff slot, which meant it might be a dispellable buff, which meant you could potentially use it to soak up dispels in PvP. This proved to not be the case; it was actually undispellable... which actually proved useful later.

The second thing I noticed was that it had unlimited charges of applying this buff.

The third thing I noticed was that this ability only had a 1 minute cooldown to reapply the buff. THIS MEANT YOU COULD USE THE ITEM IN ARENAS. This was especially important to me, as I was a hardcore arena player at the time.

Finally, I noticed that it caused your attacks, dots, and everything else to randomly spam a totally pointless proc "Lasers shoot out of your eyes". This did not appear to do anything, but popped up a spell effect whenever it went off. Not only did this spam opponent logs with messages, and completely gently caress with any sort of scrolling combat notifications, but IT COULD ACTUALLY EAT SHAMAN GROUNDING TOTEM CHARGES.

Now, for anyone that does not know, grounding totems were a thing shaman would drop that would eat hostile spells with a relatively high frequency unless destroyed. It was very important to kill grounding totems because otherwise you would have critical spells fizzle at important times and be totally unable to do significant damage to a target. This was especially awful as a Warlock, as dots would not kill a grounding totem when redirected (nukes would, but locks almost never nuked and had few good insta-cast nuke options) and you had many critical spells on longer cooldowns you could not afford to have fail at bad times (like silences and fears).

Well, when LASER EYES could proc on random ticks of a dot, you had a much lower chance of losing an important spell to the most recent cooldown of the grounding totem. And of course, the buff was undispellable.

We were the only Warlock/Priest/Warrior team in the top 10 3v3 of ANY battlegroup for basically our entire run, and for a long time were #1 worldwide 3v3 team by ranking, on the hardest battlegroup. Which was hilarious, since the other best teams at the time were all Shaman/Warrior/Paladin, which was considered completely unbeatable by our setup.

I ran this through Babelfish and had no luck. Seriously, the average WoW grief is like reading a Linux nerd bragging about how he open-sourced the kernel panicked BSD tarball monopoly.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
no griefing intended :confused:

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I ran this through Babelfish and had no luck. Seriously, the average WoW grief is like reading a Linux nerd bragging about how he open-sourced the kernel panicked BSD tarball monopoly.

I understood everything he said because I played it years ago, but yeah it's ridiculous. You don't even realize you're saying these things after a while because it's just so natural.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

As near as I can tell:

-He had an item that gave him some bonus to his spells and attacks that isn't supposed to do anything outside of it's intended use
-Grounding totems redirect spells from their intended target like a magic lightning rod, but they have a cooldown period before they can do it again
-Casting a spell that causes Damage over Time with the bonus will repeatedly trip the totem, making them practically useless to the enemy that used it, but won't destroy them. This prevents the enemy from creating more.
-Additionally it fills the chat box with garbage text, causing an additional distraction.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

dud root posted:

I remember hearing how someone whiffed the swing in little league as a kid. It's definitely not a fighting game term, or a term from a video game originally.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

"Proc on random ticks of a dot"

Lets break this down from the end to the start, since that's the simplest way to do it:
  • dot: D.O.T., Damage Over Time. This is a spell/attack/affect that slowly peels away at the target's health. Basically a poison effect. Every so many seconds the spell will "tick" and do damage. This is the main difference between the two "arcane" classes of WoW. Mages do "spike" damage with quickly cast, but MP draining, nukes while Warlocks stack dozens of debuffs on a target, each one either draining health away due to a DOT affect or buffing their DOTs. Because their damage ramps up by this, Warlocks get understandably pissy when someone or something starts removing debuffs from their target. The opposite of a DOT is a HOT, Healing Over Time.
  • tick: When a spell "ticks", it's generally a persisting buff or debuff with a DOT or HOT effect, every "tick" is either a set damage or heal.
  • proc: When an attack or spell or anything has a random chance to have a secondary effect, be it bonus damage, free attacks, healing the caster, that attack, spell or item has a chance to "proc". An example would be (mind you it's been a while since I played WoW so this might be out of date or incorrect), when a Warlock casts his "Shadow Bolt" spell on a target (one of the Warlock's few straight damage spells), depending on how he spent his skill points, it has an X% chance to "proc" and cast a debuff on the target that makes it take Y% more damage from all shadow-based spells for Z amount of time.

Edit: beaten too it by SpazmasterX and his shorter, more concise post. But yea, the jargon sticks with you, forever tainting you as one who has played WoW. It's not a mark of shame easily seen by others, but you'll know it every time you read or hear something said by another WoW player or escapee.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 14, 2010

hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

There is an item used for a specific quest that was available during WoW's first expansion. This item, when used, would give your character a special effect for awhile that would cause random abilities to cause "Lasers shoot out of your eyes!" to appear in the chatlog. It had no other effect, and this item had a one minute cooldown.

Arenas are a system of competitive player-vs-player combat in WoW, based on small teams (2v2, 3v3 or 5v5). A class called Shaman, whose primary mechanic are "totems" which are static objects that sit on the ground and provide effects within a given area, has an totem called Grounding Totem. This totem will "absorb" the next enemy spell that's cast after it gets dropped on the ground by the Shaman, getting destroyed after it absorbs it. Spells that cause damage over time, principally cast by the Warlock class, were bugged for awhile where their damage would be absorbed, but would not destroy the totem. This did not happen constantly, as the "absorb" effect was subject to a cooldown time. It was still extremely obnoxious and severely hampered Warlocks in Arenas.

He found out that this quest item's buff interacted strangely with Grounding Totem. When the message appeared in the chatlog, the Grounding Totem thought it was an enemy spell cast and would absorb it. Thus, the damage from his Warlock's spells would be absorbed far less often. By using this item in Arenas, which was not intended, he was basically exploiting an oversight by the quest designers. This allowed his team to use the Warlock to his full potential against even teams with Shamans, getting them to a top bracket with an unusual team composition.

Also it would annoy the hell out of the enemy team with constant chat messages about eye lasers.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I have a pretty good friend-griefing WoW story.

To start, my circle of friends has always been pretty lax about letting everyone know everyone else's account passwords (real-life friends, of course -- these are kids I went to high-school with).

So we log onto our friend's account. He has a max-level Warlock. Now, before they patched it, I was very good at "wall-walking," which is basically a trick that lets you climb up sheer surfaces and get to places you shouldn't be. I climbed his Warlock on top of Orgrimmar and then dropped him down into the "under the level" area, which is mostly just a huge, ugly expanse with repeating textures. There's no way to get out once you get in, short of hearthstone, being summoned, or dying.

We took off all his gear and put it in the bank before I did this, and I also took the liberty of sending him a bit more gold so that he might think we'd vendored all of his gear or something. Took every spell and ability off his action bars and replaced them all with Hellfire (a Warlock spell that damages the caster, allowing them to actually kill themselves if it goes for long enough). Also got rid of his hearthstone.

Then we logged off and waited for him to get on. Used a targeting macro to target him (even though we couldn't see him because he was somewhere under the city). He sat there for awhile doing nothing -- I guess thinking if he could find another way out of of his situation -- before, sure enough, the Hellfire debuff popped up and his life started ticking away. He was pretty pissed off, he really thought that all his gear had been vendored. Good times.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

octoroon posted:

I have a pretty good friend-griefing WoW story.

To start, my circle of friends has always been pretty lax about letting everyone know everyone else's account passwords (real-life friends, of course -- these are kids I went to high-school with).

So we log onto our friend's account. He has a max-level Warlock. Now, before they patched it, I was very good at "wall-walking," which is basically a trick that lets you climb up sheer surfaces and get to places you shouldn't be. I climbed his Warlock on top of Orgrimmar and then dropped him down into the "under the level" area, which is mostly just a huge, ugly expanse with repeating textures. There's no way to get out once you get in, short of hearthstone, being summoned, or dying.

We took off all his gear and put it in the bank before I did this, and I also took the liberty of sending him a bit more gold so that he might think we'd vendored all of his gear or something. Took every spell and ability off his action bars and replaced them all with Hellfire (a Warlock spell that damages the caster, allowing them to actually kill themselves if it goes for long enough). Also got rid of his hearthstone.

Then we logged off and waited for him to get on. Used a targeting macro to target him (even though we couldn't see him because he was somewhere under the city). He sat there for awhile doing nothing -- I guess thinking if he could find another way out of of his situation -- before, sure enough, the Hellfire debuff popped up and his life started ticking away. He was pretty pissed off, he really thought that all his gear had been vendored. Good times.

A good grief, yeah, but it also reads like a Saw film for nerds.

"I'd like to play a game. You have no gear, you have no way to teleport to safety. If you'll look to your action bar you'll see a single ability that is both your key to your salvation as well as your own demise. Will you take the flame? Or will you wander, trapped, until you get bored and log out to watch TV or play Call of Duty or Team Fortress?

"The choice is yours."
/

myspacepvp
Aug 2, 2006

by T. Mascis
FPS: Battlefield 2142, Fly helicopters kamakazi style into mech walkers, and tanks.

Star Wars Galaxies: Go to the geo cave while the jedi grind bugged spawns, grab as many kwis, and random mobs as you can, drag it to the macroing jedis, feign death and watch them die.

UO: Make lesser poison, and sell it as deadly poison $$$ chaching, Steal poo poo from people at the bank drop it on the ground next to an alt, and make tons of money, laugh when the guards kill you and the victim loses his black sandals/vanq katana.

Open moongates to dungeons, claiming to be places where you're selling a castle/house cheap, lead them to certain death such as a balrog spawn, etc. Once they take the gate dispel it.

Everquest: Make a mage to level 10-12, join groups farming orcs, overnuke on each pull until they wipe, usually if they're nice and you act like a noob they will continue to let you group with them, until they get so pissed they kick you :) lots of fun.

Challenge people to duels, this works best on paladins, as a shadow knight promise not to use harm touch, get paladin to half life, harm touch and /lol

World of Warcraft: Start a raid for something, half way through a boss fight disband the raid, watch the drama begin.

myspacepvp fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 14, 2010

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

/\/\/\/\/\/\
Did you know that the bottoms of the flying transports in BF2142 are invulnerable to all physics damage myspacepvp? It was a quick fix by DICE to prevent stupid people from slamming into the ground too hard when landing. This had a secret side effect of secretly turning the transports into the best anti-vehicle weapon on the map. Just get a good pilot who can come in for a landing nose-up on an enemy vehicle and slam the belly onto the enemy tank. Transport takes little to no damage, the tank goes "POP!"

Well, thought I'd finally put my tales of exploits and pain up here. Only got a few centering around Battlefield 2142.

In 2142, DICE decided to get all futuristic and fancy, which was actually rather nice since it let them do a lot of fun things and get away with it. One thing that I liked was the anti-tank mines, probably because I love playing any class with the word "engineer" in its title. The mines were these black balls that sat on the ground, not hard to see, but easy enough to miss until too late. When you got close, they would pop up to about head-height and hover over to the vehicle that activated them and explode. Their movement speed was based off of the target's speed, so it wasn't uncommon to stop just as the mines pop off as you stare at them. They're active, so you know you can't escape since no ground vehicle can outrun them from a dead stop, but can you get out of this situation without sacrificing your tank? Leaving it empty so some enemy player can grab it, drive over his own team's mines with impunity, and blow you up from behind?

This lead to much hilarity but at first there wasn't much actual griefing potential besides bailing out of an APC or car full of team mates and letting the vehicle's momentum roll it into the active mines, killing everyone inside and making someone on the other team a happy engineer.

Then the DLC "Nothern Strike" came out. NS included new maps with new vehicles for each side, and a new item for unlock tree. One of the engineer unlocks was the "Motion Mine Bait Grenade", the other was a passive buff that gave their SMGs more bullets a magazine, a good thing but not the oh-so-exploitable MMBG. The MMBG attracted any motion mine near it and caused the mine to follow it as it rolled around the ground, spiraling over the bait grenade until the kill signal went off and the mines detonated. This lead to so much glee and joy and fun and griefing.

One of the best ways to grief with these MMBGs was to pick up a bunch of mines, often set by an enemy engineer, and slam them into an enemy's vehicle. There was a 50/50 chance that either you would be awarded the kill credit, or the engineer who set the mines would be "awarded" the teamkill credit.

Now, to explain how wonderful this was, I have to explain the vehicle the EU faction got, the Goliath. The Goliath was a hilariously slow "IFV", it was an APC that the EU team could spawn in, it had a constant health, resupply and repair aura around it for friendlies, its front bumper was immune to the AT hover-mines, it's health constantly regenerated as long as any of the seven regeneration panels on it survived, and it had an absurd amount of health. So much health that there should have no legitimate way to pop a Goliath from a massive damage spike. It had so much health that it took 5 motion mines hitting the side or front in less than a second to kill it, or else the damage would just be healed.

Equipping the mines gave an engineer exactly five motion mines, and he can carry the bait grenade in his second slot. :devil:

These maps took place in the "future" and many maps had monorail criss-crossing the map that a clever player could use an APC or clever Spawn Beacon placement to drop-pod onto and move around on. One map in NS with this terrain feature had a monorail track leading directly into the EU main base, the ONLY base they start with at the beginning of a round, and is almost directly above the Goliath spawn. This map is designed so that the EU needs every armor advantage they need to push back the PAC army, and their spawn area is often littered by these mines to deter PAC armor from moving too far forward, or PAC recons from running a car in to blow up the commander toys.

Now, I realize that was a massive lead up for such a simple griefing trick, but I loved getting on top of that monorail track and just lobbing my MMBGs down at the Goliath, causing any nearby motion mines, friendly or enemy, to pop up and slam into the side of the Goliath. When the moon was right, I would get hilarious kills since the Goliath was usually full of people since it was, against normal players, damned hard to kill. When the moon wasn't right, I would manage to suddenly force up to five teamkills on a random, helpless engineer. This is especially nasty since some servers are actually set up with an anti-griefing safeguard. A player loses two points for every team-kill incident, and one point for non fatal friendly fire incidents, team vehicle damage, and destroying friendly objectives. If a player drops below -10 on the scoreboard, or gets five teamkills in one round, these servers will auto-kick said player. The Goliath holds five players, and is normally filled within 15 seconds of it spawning in. :D Even if it's not fully loaded, the hapless EU engineer has a chance to get a "Team Vehicle Damage" for each of their mines that hit the Goliath, and lose another point for destroying either of the two regeneration pads on the side the mine hit, leading up to a total potential of -7 if no one is in the Goliath, which takes forever to respawn.

Even better is if your team's commander sees what you're doing and starts dropping resupply crates on the monorail track next to you, or even better, the enemy commander sees you and tries to drop a resupply crate on you for a physics kill, only to miss and give you a free crate of never-ending grenades, AT rifle rounds, and your own motion mines to throw everywhere.

Also, I was in the Beta for Northern Strike, so I knew this trick, and a half-dozen others for easily removing Goliaths from Day 1 of public release.

Edit: Really sorry about the extra long explanation of game mechanics. I'm bad at rambling and even worse at being able to figure out how to shorten down my rambling when I do it.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 14, 2010

myspacepvp
Aug 2, 2006

by T. Mascis
A wow story

Our guild on archimonde called "Legend" https://www.ni4nigaming.com had a paladin named Aldo, he rerolled as a mage, and let this guy chaster use his paladin for poo poo. Also left for a month or so and came back to find that chaster had disenchanted all of his gear.

Chaster got kicked from the guild, and was let back in a week later, lol.

When the game first started I played a priest, and wanted dreadmist the warlock set I did this dungeon for the sandals I forgot the name, I was trying to get the sandals for the longest time, and they finally dropped, needless to say I ninja looted those things from the warlock, caused a lot of drama but no one gave a gently caress because I was a priest, and everyone needs a healer.

myspacepvp
Aug 2, 2006

by T. Mascis
Another wow griefing story, shamans have this totem that blows up and does a ton of damage, well if you drop the totem in the org bank or something equally awesome, and logout, when the totem goes off it kills all the bank alts.

When zul'gurub came out my guild would get the disease on hunters pets etc, and we would bring it to iron forge, and yell AIDS AIDS AIDS, we started the whole meme. Once someone caught the disease, it just keeps spreading from person to person, lots of fun :).

myspacepvp fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 14, 2010

myspacepvp
Aug 2, 2006

by T. Mascis

Alkydere posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\
Did you know that the bottoms of the flying transports in BF2142 are invulnerable to all physics damage myspacepvp? It was a quick fix by DICE to prevent stupid people from slamming into the ground too hard when landing. This had a secret side effect of secretly turning the transports into the best anti-vehicle weapon on the map. Just get a good pilot who can come in for a landing nose-up on an enemy vehicle and slam the belly onto the enemy tank. Transport takes little to no damage, the tank goes "POP!"

nope I didn't know they where immune to damage :)

myspacepvp fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 14, 2010

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

myspacepvp posted:

nope I didn't know they where immune to damage :)

*wince*
Okay, my post is long enough that you should really just edit out the non-relevant information. Seeing my ramble once is cringe-worthy enough.

But yea, when 2142 originally came out people had a bad habit of slamming the transports into the ground, forgetting that physics kills in BF games. To fix this and make the transports more idiot friendly DICE did something with the transport bottoms that makes them take little to no damage from hitting something. Both me and my room-mate at the time were into 2142 and were in the Beta for NS. About a tenth of the time in the beta was spent by the players trying to figure out the mechanics of the game, which lead to some interesting discoveries.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

MUD/MOO griefing story. Used to play on a "hardcore" roleplaying MUD, like, if you weren't in character you were banned. In the early days, there weren't even any out of character channels or "players online" lists; the game mechanics forced you to keep absolutely all communication in-character. Perma-death; if a character dies, it's gone for good.

Oh, and the theme of the game was a medieval witch-hunt. Mages were hunted and killed by the kingdom and church (so if your character was a mage, you kept it secret). Needless to say, this environment attracted a lot of people who would get VERY attached to their characters. I wasn't one of those people. I always played mages, my characters usually died pretty messily, and I was something of a powergamer (my characters tended to be very strong).

I didn't get along well with the person who played the head of the mage-hunters' military group. She was a middle-aged housewife who would protect her characters by whining to the game's administration if anything didn't go her way. She abused out of character info all the time. Knowing this, I drew her into my trap. I let a friend of a friend of one of her friends know that my fugitive mage character was camped out in some mountains, knowing that the info would get to her and she'd try to abuse her metagame knowledge as usual.

Had an inescapable trap set when she came after my mage. I knew the game mechanics really well and I abused the hell out of them. Permakilled her. She went through all the stages of grief, textbook. She was so screwed up that I was told later she actually had a breakdown and ended up in a mental hospital over the loss of that character. Not too proud of that, but hell if I had any way of knowing how unstable she would turn out to be when push came to shove.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 14, 2010

myspacepvp
Aug 2, 2006

by T. Mascis
I knew a lot of people, selling jedis/wow accounts and stealing them back for money, it was basically legal robbery. So many mmorpg hardcore gamers did this to support themselves, because of their addiction to these video games.

myspacepvp fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 14, 2010

myspacepvp
Aug 2, 2006

by T. Mascis
Anarchy online: 2001-2003 I was in the top omni-tek clan, Ministry of Kahn or whatever we called it.

I had an atrox fixer level 183 or so, and I needed grid armor badly, some random noob in our guild found a grid armor, and our guild leader named argulace offered to trade DKP for the grid armor to give me, once I got the grid armor argulace who was also a fixer stopped tanking to do real life stuff.

I became the new guild tank, and had to work off my negative DKP from getting grid armor, needless to say the game started to get really boring, and tanking was just a snore. Unfortunately for my guild, my computer crashed, and I had to replace it, being 17 or 18 at the time, with no job, and no parents "poor" I had to sell my account for $500 to build a new pc.

That dude still had a ton of DKP when I sold the account, lol.

https://www.totalaggression.com

Fixer was named Dopesmuggler :P

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

myspacepvp posted:

Anarchy online: 2001-2003 I was in the top omni-tek clan, Ministry of Kahn or whatever we called it.

I had an atrox fixer level 183 or so, and I needed grid armor badly, some random noob in our guild found a grid armor, and our guild leader named argulace offered to trade DKP for the grid armor to give me, once I got the grid armor argulace who was also a fixer stopped tanking to do real life stuff.

I became the new guild tank, and had to work off my negative DKP from getting grid armor, needless to say the game started to get really boring, and tanking was just a snore. Unfortunately for my guild, my computer crashed, and I had to replace it, being 17 or 18 at the time, with no job, and no parents "poor" I had to sell my account for $500 to build a new pc.

That dude still had a ton of DKP when I sold the account, lol.

https://www.totalaggression.com

Fixer was named Dopesmuggler :P

Let me see if I understand this, "I had a high level character in a MMORPG who wanted some valuable armor, and an inexperienced player in my guild found what I was looking for. The leader of my guild argulace paid for the armor, but he expected me to take over his duties as a defensive team member. I got very bored of that role while trying to clear my debt, my computer broke and I ended up selling my account to finance my new computer. The new owner of my account inherited all of my considerable wealth."

myspacepvp
Aug 2, 2006

by T. Mascis
Another UO griefing story, I was in trammel at the moonglow graveyards with my two dragons on my tamer, some kid started talking poo poo about how tamers are all pussies and require no skill "obviously I play to win" So I just brought my dragons inside the graveyard, and yelled ALL RELEASE, lots of dead newbies that day. :)

Eve Online 2006 height of the great war against ze germanz.
I reactivated my old account from jan 2004, captain starbuck, terrible charisma stacked pilot. I had a plan, I was to save the goonfleet all on my own, my mission, rob the enemy of isk, and ships how did I do this, a scam! I thought it all out carefully, I had an alt with a date of 2004, I made a forum post offering to trade my account for isk, a d2 member accepts the offer, 1.5 billion isk, and 2 cap ships.

I having only played a month before this some 2 years ago was not too familiar with the rules of trading etc, he offered the ships up for trade, but we ended up losing the contracts to some chinese people when I messed something up :> so those ships where lost for good, the gm's didn't return them. Then I took the isk, and transferred it to an alt account, on the alt account I proceeded to tip every goonmember I saw 100 million isk out of the ill gotten goods, both accounts where banned, but the damage was done, and my character Captain StarBuck inflicted more damage than goonfleet could have in a week of hit and run frigate combat.

2007 I remake a character, lord fuxaton, join goonfleet in 2009 kill 3 titans, inflict over 150 billion in isk damage against bob, was one of the most important ships to respond during a titan kill "first to bump him" recieved no credit, sperged out when some homosexual fleet commander by the name of dabigredboat tried to "Haze me" Instead of letting a bunch of goons kill me, I docked and masturbated to porn for a month while talking poo poo in local, and basically predicted the downfall of goonfleet in a massive whine post on my other account by the name of infamousgorn, I predicted that goonfleet would crumble from the inside and be betrayed by it's leader, call me Nostradamus.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

myspacepvp posted:

Another UO griefing story, I was in trammel at the moonglow graveyards with my two dragons on my tamer, some kid started talking poo poo about how tamers are all pussies and require no skill "obviously I play to win" So I just brought my dragons inside the graveyard, and yelled ALL RELEASE, lots of dead newbies that day. :)

Eve Online 2006 height of the great war against ze germanz.
I reactivated my old account from jan 2004, captain starbuck, terrible charisma stacked pilot. I had a plan, I was to save the goonfleet all on my own, my mission, rob the enemy of isk, and ships how did I do this, a scam! I thought it all out carefully, I had an alt with a date of 2004, I made a forum post offering to trade my account for isk, a d2 member accepts the offer, 1.5 billion isk, and 2 cap ships.

I having only played a month before this some 2 years ago was not too familiar with the rules of trading etc, he offered the ships up for trade, but we ended up losing the contracts to some chinese people when I messed something up :> so those ships where lost for good, the gm's didn't return them. Then I took the isk, and transferred it to an alt account, on the alt account I proceeded to tip every goonmember I saw 100 million isk out of the ill gotten goods, both accounts where banned, but the damage was done, and my character Captain StarBuck inflicted more damage than goonfleet could have in a week of hit and run frigate combat.

2007 I remake a character, lord fuxaton, join goonfleet in 2009 kill 3 titans, inflict over 150 billion in isk damage against bob, was one of the most important ships to respond during a titan kill "first to bump him" recieved no credit, sperged out when some homosexual fleet commander by the name of dabigredboat tried to "Haze me" Instead of letting a bunch of goons kill me, I docked and masturbated to porn for a month while talking poo poo in local, and basically predicted the downfall of goonfleet in a massive whine post on my other account by the name of infamousgorn, I predicted that goonfleet would crumble from the inside and be betrayed by it's leader, call me Nostradamus.

None of your poo poo is funny and you have 7 of the last 11 posts. Please don't.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
EVE player pulls off $45,000 worth of grief:

quote:

The original business plan for Titans4U involved the purchase of several original titan blueprints worth over 60 billion ISK each. The blueprints were then locked down in a corporate hanger in a secret alt corporation. A starbase in the same system was used to make limited-run blueprint copies for sale and a cut of the proceeds was distributed to investors as a regular dividend. From an investor's point of view, the whole thing appeared to be secured by the presence of five trustees. These were active members of EVE's investment market who volunteered to help secure the fund against theft or the owner going missing.

As a vote would be required to unlock the blueprints before they could be taken, shares in the secret alt corporation were split among five trustees. If Bobby were to ever attempt to unlock and steal the blueprints, those trustees could have simply declined the vote, keeping the corporation secure. In the event of his disappearance, directors in the corp could also collectively initiate their own votes to recover the assets.

All of this security hinged on the fact that Bobby would not have access to over 50% of the company's shares and so couldn't vote to unlock the blueprints on his own. For over a year, this system worked amicably. In the background, however, Bobby was slowly scheming to get his hands on more shares.

To complete the scam, Bobby initiated a vote to create more shares under the guise of adding more trustees. Despite recommendations by regular market guru Proton Power that trustees decline the move, the vote passed and more shares were created. With access to over 50% of the shares, Bobby was able to kick all other directors from the corp and steal the entire company's assets. Bobby claims the total value he has "cashed in" his reputation for is in excess of 850 billion ISK. To put that into perspective, 850 billion is enough ISK to buy about 2575 PLEX. That would keep an account active for over 214 years, and could be worth around $45,000 US dollars.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Phanatic posted:

The long con.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

octoroon posted:

Had an inescapable trap set when she came after my mage. I knew the game mechanics really well and I abused the hell out of them. Permakilled her. She went through all the stages of grief, textbook. She was so screwed up that I was told later she actually had a breakdown and ended up in a mental hospital over the loss of that character. Not too proud of that, but hell if I had any way of knowing how unstable she would turn out to be when push came to shove.

This is awesome, you're awesome. Anyone who gets that attached to something imaginary is really hosed in the head.

I don't have much in the way of griefs I've done except for a small one from just playing well in the Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942. Now anyone that has played that mod knows there were some balance issues. I used to play with a clan sometimes, they would do the little tournament things, I just enjoyed playing with them in pub games. One fun thing to do in particular was being able to sit in a scud launcher and lob scuds all day into the enemy base and listen to the pubbies scream.

The other time was one other clanmate named Elder and me were in a a server playing I think Stalingrad. He picked engineer and hopped in the tank and drove out to the middle and starts decimating people. I pick sniper/recon or whatever it was called and sit up in a building watching him. Every time he would take damage he would hop out and repair his tank and I would take out anyone stupid enough to try to get at him, the rage that ensued towards us was quite comical. At the end the scores made it more so with Elder sitting at 103 kills to 1 death and I at 87 kills to 3 deaths.

As I said not a great story, but it was such a fun time doing it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Apocadall posted:

This is awesome, you're awesome. Anyone who gets that attached to something imaginary is really hosed in the head.

I actually have a lot of pretty good stories about that MUD. This one is kind of esoteric, so I have to explain a little background.

Basically, mages were meant to very situationally strong -- they could cast very, very strong spells, but preparing the spells was meant to be time-consuming and dangerous, not something you could do at all in a combat situation.

Thus, any spell you could use to gently caress with people from a safe distance was gold. One of these spells was called Voidtouch. You could cast it on anyone who was logged on from anywhere in the world, and it would drain a little bit of their movement and cause them to "shiver." Now, when people drop below 0 movement, they just keep going into negatives, and the regen system was scaling so the lower you were the longer it took to regen. This wasn't normally broken, because there's no way any normal mage could cast spells fast enough to abuse this. However, I basically reverse-engineered the game's spellcasting system and found out a trick to cast any spell in about a second.

I used this to target a player who noone liked. I can't actually remember but the character I targeted may have been an earlier alt of the same woman from the story above. She tended to have the dumbest, most disliked characters, so I wouldn't be surprised. Basically I chain Voidtouched the character for about half an hour realtime, which put her character into something like the negative thousands of movement. Because of the scaling system, she had to stay logged on for something like a realtime week before she regenerated enough to move again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phanatic posted:

I love EVE so much. I'd never play it myself, but gently caress the stories that come out of it are amazing.

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant
Yeah those investment scams are always hilarious, I still can't believe anyone is dumb enough to fall for those.

I wonder how well that would work in other MMOS?

It seems like really in most of these situations all you would need is a good group of smart people who are coordinated and seemingly anonymous to each other in-game to back up each other's "rep" to pull of scams like this.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Zenodice posted:

Yeah those investment scams are always hilarious, I still can't believe anyone is dumb enough to fall for those.

I wonder how well that would work in other MMOS?

It seems like really in most of these situations all you would need is a good group of smart people who are coordinated and seemingly anonymous to each other in-game to back up each other's "rep" to pull of scams like this.

Probably wouldn't go too well because most other MMOs are full of carebears and you would probably be banned for it.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I don't grief unless another player is making me mad, but I did run into what I consider my first Killing Floor career griefers the other day.

Killing Floor basically has three ways to grief; four if you include mission maps: Player-killing, door-blocking, door-welding, and ammo-stealing.

KF has worked to fix some of these, like making Friendly Fire able to be turned on, off, or reduced,and by having people alter maps or using a mod that makes door-blocking impossible. The door-blocking is usually done during the trader break so people can't buy new guns or more ammo while the door-welding shuts people out and leaves them to face a horde bearing down on them. Ammo-stealing is only an issue with mission maps where you can't buy more ammo and so rely on ammo boxes to replenish your supply, so inevitably you get someone who takes all the ammo and armor to the point of hurting himself with grenades repeatedly so he can eventually take everything in a room. KF also has a slightly broken kick vote, which sometimes is disabled; you need at least 2/3 majority to kick someone, but in cases like below where there are only five people, 3 against 2 doesn't count.

Anyway, the way these two guys did it told me that they do this all the time- they probably had all their perks maxed out and this is the only entertainment they get out of the game anymore. The first one would spawn as a Support Specialist giving him a hunting shotgun while the second would do whatever- they'd play the first round normally and then the first would go medic, buy armor, and start shooting everyone. His medic armor meant no one could kill him before his medic speed brought him point-blank to them and gave them a face full of shotgun. Then when everyone realized what was happening and turned on him, his friend would strike and start setting them on fire, meaning that they would be the only survivors and promptly call everyone racial slurs until everyone else quit.

Which was made all the more delicious by the "NO RACISM NO SEXISM" sign flashing on the screen every minute.

Other than the occasional dick who welds doors to slow people down or starts shooting people because he's mad or bored (and is promptly killed by someone else) I haven't seen anything like that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Apocadall posted:

It really reminds me of this old vent recording of a WoW story.

• Locked thread