Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What are the details on your bike? Is that a 6r or a 10r? R1/R6 calipers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Raffie has a ZX10R IIRC

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
It's an '08 zx-10r. Those are the stock Tokicos that come fitted to the 3rd gen 10r, i run with Braking cm55 pads and Venhill brake hoses. Only major change to the bike is the Ohlins ttx36 rear shock. The rest are little things like the pazzo shorty clutch lever from my previous 10r, windscreen, stompgrips, a bmc race filter and pc3 (with stock exhaust lol).

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9C2qZnA7fE

No wonder the right side of my tires are toasted.

Edit: Track gods, help me out. Here's the track map of MPH:

The video starts at the timing tower so the turns are in line with the map. I'm pretty comfortable with t1 and t2, the kink isn't a big deal, t3 seems more like a "do you have the cojones" turn (I don't). 4, 5, and 6 don't give me much trouble, I think my line through 7 and 8 is pretty good too. Then I start to suck. I never felt comfortable in t9-10 (double left hander) and I'm not sure why. Sometimes it seemed like I had a good line through there but the vast majority of my laps it felt like I was just "getting through" that section. There's some pretty nasty bumps midcorner there too which doesn't help with confidence. I think an overall tighter line through that section would be a bit better but I am not sure. What I was trying to do (which very likely wasn't correct!) was a fairly early turn in on T9 so I would drift wide a little bit and set up for a later apex on T10 to keep me on the left side of the track in setting up for T11. Is that reasoning sound? I'm probably drifting too wide, getting into those bumps though.

The other area I was never comfortable with was the final turn. I have a feeling I'm staying too far to the left of the track coming into it. There doesn't seem to be an advantage in being way left. It seemed like the tighter I was the faster I could get on the gas. What would be a reasonable line through this corner?

needknees fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 24, 2010

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

aventari posted:

dude, that's awesome. It really is great to see different bikes out there. There was a nice KZ1000 last time I went out to Streets.

Pretty drat hot there huh? I hope you had an EZ-UP
Let me know next time you're gonna head out there I need to get out to some more track days before this winter.

It wasn't too bad actually. Low 90's all day. We did have an easy up and lots of water. Last time I was up at big track helping a friend it was 105 so I was pleasantly surprised it was that much cooler.

I had a blast on the old bike. I'm sure something with suspension and brakes would make things a bit easier, but what's the fun in that. I figure if I can get good at riding the dinosaur when I get a modern bike I should be really good.

I'm thinking probably November for the next time out. Which group do you usually go out with? This one was TT2T or whatever and it seemed really well organized. Have you ever gone out on big track? Chuckawalla is supposed to be fun too when they aren't having a dust storm. I'd be up for any of them.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bugdrvr posted:

I did my first track day at Streets of Willow this weekend and had a total blast. I definitely learned a ton while out there and had a ton of fun doing it. I really wish I signed up for both days instead of just Saturday.

I can't wait to do another one.

Here's the old girl getting ready to open up on the front straight

My bike was the oldest one there by far but it also seemed to draw a ton of attention. Guess people like to see something out there other than the myriad supersports that usually come out.

OMG :love: :love: :love:

Are the anti-dive units on the fork disconnected or still working? What are they like on the street? I imagine they would suck while braking on a bumpy road. Mine is a slightly later model with anti dive units replaced with damping adjusters. Also, is that a Marshall 4-1 system and does it sound sweet?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The antidive units are still connected but I'm not sure they are doing anything at this point as I really can't feel a difference to be honest. The springs in there are much heavier than the flaccid things that came in there stock so maybe that makes some difference. I still used all of my travel at the track, it just didn't happen the first time I sneezed on my brake lever. I've seen pictures of your bike with the compression adjusters; color me jealous.

The 4-1 system is a Vance and Hines and it does sound sweet. It's a very different noise than newer bikes. I guess somewhat deeper but mechanical at the same time. Also, it is LOUD. When I lose enough of my hearing to stop enjoying it I'll send it on to you.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Little Tally for $99 a day. Jesus I need to get some track gear.

quote:

X-ACT Motorsports is happy to announce we are co-hosting the October 16th and 17th event at Little Tally with Ed Bargy!

Cost is $198.00 for both days and $99.00 for one day.

We will have Stickboyracing tire support (Bridgestone).

For sign up please shoot me a email at - xacttech2000@yahoo.com

This should be a great event, don't wait we anticipate a sell out!

Basically, Ed Bargy runs the classroom, X-Act runs the track. When Ed is in the classroom the track is open. When Ed is on the track with the novice group the track is closed. Basically you get 40 minutes of open track time per hour all day long.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I learned yesterday how overrated dragging knee is. Was trying to drag knee all day and kept dragging my foot. I finally manned up and asked an instructor for help. He said, "The hell is wrong with you? Why are you trying to drag knee?" Then he told me to sit on the bike and ignore that Valentino Rossi bullshit.

So he followed me for a couple laps, then I followed him, found out all my lines were messed up and I decided to just sit on the seat and only lean my upper body.

Ended up dragging my toes several times, but my laps when from 2:45 to 2:30 and I was having more fun. So my pics don't look as cool as my friends who were doing the exact same lap times on their R6s with their knees on the ground. :(

Although it was satisfying passing a bunch of guys dragging his knee during the turn on the outside.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 7, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm with you on the knee thing. I was passing people at my trackday on an old busted CBR that couldn't go faster than 100mph (I poo poo you not, the jetting was all kinds of hosed), and these were people who were trying to hang off like monkeys but just weren't solid on the fundamentals. Knee dragging is a great technique and way to gauge your lean angle, but I don't think it's even close to necessary until a rider has lots of practice on the track and has stuff like lines, throttle usage, and braking zones mastered first.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
There is definitely something to be said of not TRYING to drag knee. Before I got a knee down I was making great progress just focusing on the basics. Once that fucker hit the deck for the first time the rest of my day was poo poo because I needed to get my knee down in every corner. My lines went to poo poo, corner speed was way down, exit speed was non-existent. I was grinning like a fuckin idiot though :haw:. the next day I did I went out with the mindset of "who gives a poo poo, if you're carrying enough corner speed it'll hit regardless." And my laptimes magically dropped!

But if you're routinely dragging your toes you need to do two things (in my uneducated track newb opinion): Pay attention to your goddamn foot position. It's easy to get lazy, especially with your right foot since you're more or less not using the rear brake. Ball of your foot on the peg and all that good poo poo. If your foot position is good and you're still dragging toes/pegs/whatever? Time to hang off "like a monkey". It's just a matter of time before a lowside if the toes are 'a draggin'.

In other news... MOTHERFUCKING TRACK WEEKEND :woop:.

Going to Blackhawk farms on the KTM with Tsaven "Who the gently caress needs a sportbike" Nava and a buell fanatic from the quad cities. Should be fun!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

frozenphil posted:

Little Tally for $99 a day. Jesus I need to get some track gear.

Basically, Ed Bargy runs the classroom, X-Act runs the track. When Ed is in the classroom the track is open. When Ed is on the track with the novice group the track is closed. Basically you get 40 minutes of open track time per hour all day long.
Signed up for this!

Now for a question...should I run a set of takeoff Ntecs or a brand new set of Q2's? Q2's would probably have some street miles on them by then..I'm leaning towards that, but I basically don't want to have to worry about grip so I can just focus on lines and corner speed.

Edit: Same price for either the Q2's or Ntec takesoffs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
First time at the track? The Q2s are fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Street tires (PP, BT016, Q2) are going to take you drat near to advanced pace... if you can tell what your tires are doing.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

-Inu- posted:

Signed up for this!

Now for a question...should I run a set of takeoff Ntecs or a brand new set of Q2's? Q2's would probably have some street miles on them by then..I'm leaning towards that, but I basically don't want to have to worry about grip so I can just focus on lines and corner speed.

Edit: Same price for either the Q2's or Ntec takesoffs.

I have not personally run them but everything that I have read says that the Q2 is an absolutely amazing tire. Many NESBA CRs have been running them as a low cost alternative to DOT race tires, and they'll hold up to 8-10 days of A pace riding :aaa:. They're not going to have the all out grip of the NTECs but _especially_ a beginning track rider you won't notice the difference. Hell, you will likely be better on the Q2s because you probably won't be able to keep the NTECs hot enough to work well. They need a pretty fast pace just to stay at proper operating temp. Not having to gently caress with stands and warmers is great as well.

Post about last weekend at blackhawk with pics sometime in the future.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Just had another enjoyable weekend at Sepang. Got a much better idea of where i'm going (it's so drat wide) and was just working on the basics like looking through the turns and body positioning. Physically i handled it much better, guess buying a bicycle is paying off.

I still have a huge fear of lean angles though. I've got about 60+ laps of Sepang on my tires now and still haven't gone to either edge of my rear tire. Towards the end i was carrying more speed through the corners but just compensated by getting off the bike more. I guess i just need more time and practice.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Im on my first trackday tomorrow at Silverstone...

Ive never even been to a track to spectate before and Im pretty excited and aprehensive about it. Ill be using a hire bike (R6 or GSXR600), not sure which yet as Im getting a spare slot from someone who cancelled so this is very last minute. Ive been riding an R6 for 9 years, Ive got full gear etc, but I really dont know what to expect. Any tips for a first timer?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

grunthaas posted:

Im on my first trackday tomorrow at Silverstone...

Ive never even been to a track to spectate before and Im pretty excited and aprehensive about it. Ill be using a hire bike (R6 or GSXR600), not sure which yet as Im getting a spare slot from someone who cancelled so this is very last minute. Ive been riding an R6 for 9 years, Ive got full gear etc, but I really dont know what to expect. Any tips for a first timer?

Don't run all the sessions. When you get tired, take a break. Especially true of the last session of the day if you're feeling tired or out of it, I've seen way too many crashes from people trying to do that less session when they're tired. Besides that, make sure to stay hydrated, avoid energy drinks, and eat well. You can pretty much count on the track being deserted by the last few sessions, it's rare that people (especially in C group) have the endurance to run into the afternoon. Check your tire pressures before you go out on track.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

-Inu- posted:

Signed up for this!

Whatever tire you go with, make sure you have a lot of left side tire left for little Tally. :v:
I think there's only one right turn on the entire thing. Most guys do a TGPR day and then a Barber day back to back as Barber is mostly right handers; gets you a nice even tire wear. :keke:

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Z3n posted:

Don't run all the sessions. When you get tired, take a break. Especially true of the last session of the day if you're feeling tired or out of it, I've seen way too many crashes from people trying to do that less session when they're tired. Besides that, make sure to stay hydrated, avoid energy drinks, and eat well. You can pretty much count on the track being deserted by the last few sessions, it's rare that people (especially in C group) have the endurance to run into the afternoon. Check your tire pressures before you go out on track.

Sounds like good advice, thanks. Not sure if Im going to get to do all the sessions anyway as Im fitting in around other people, so we'll see how it goes..

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Z3n, BlackMK4, needknees posted:

Q2's
Good call about not being able to get the Ntec's up to operating temp. Looks like Q2's it is!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
First trackday on the sumo :w00t:

Edit: Hhahahah holy loving poo poo. Going through videos to see what I recorded (since my camera decided to be a bitch and randomly turn off. Forgot to turn it off after one of the sessions and captured this gem. Tsaven "who the gently caress needs a sportbike" Nava has something to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avGG3jGyo4o

needknees fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 14, 2010

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Ah bugger - trackday got cancelled. Hopefully there'll be another chance before the weather turns completely over here.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

needknees posted:

Edit: Hhahahah holy loving poo poo. Going through videos to see what I recorded (since my camera decided to be a bitch and randomly turn off. Forgot to turn it off after one of the sessions and captured this gem. Tsaven "who the gently caress needs a sportbike" Nava has something to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avGG3jGyo4o

ahahahahahahahahhahahaha

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Hey it was a big moment for me! I'm quite at peace with my slowness, I happily accept it, so it sure is a strange feeling to actually get around someone. Although a lot of the people who I was faster then would end up with a giant rear end-pack of 6 other people stacked up behind them, so I'd usually do a hot pit to just let them get ahead of me.

All in all it was an awesome weekend. Saturday started out cold and rainy, but it cleared up by mid day and after lunch the track was fully dry. Sunday was perfect, low 80s and breezy. Although on the third lap of the first session on Saturday I managed to lock the front wheel under braking for turn 1 off the main straight. Would not recommend for fun or profit! (Thought process in my head when I locked the wheel: "Oh god dammit I promised Modify_Evolution that I wasn't going to crash! She's going to kick my rear end and withhold sex for like a month if I hurt myself out here. Oh, hey maybe I should let off the front brake so I don't crash. Hooray! I'm still upright!)

I like Blackhawk Farms a lot more then my only other track experience, which was at Autobahn. Autobahn's paddock was an endless expanse of asphalt and completely flat grass with no trees, while BFR felt way more like a casual campsite that happened to be in the middle of a racetrack.

Anyway! Hooray for utilizing hideously inappropriate equipment!

Spot the exit, look where you want to go

I was WAY faster then my last trackday, probably due to the hot, sticky conditions. I tried running in the 2 ground in N, but honestly the pace was too fast for me and by the 2nd session after lunch I'd fallen so far behind that I lost sight of the group and ended up riding with the 6 group for the rest of that session. I was too nervous and tense, and was often fixating on the person in front of me and panicking that they were about to crash and I was going to hit them. I was starting to lock up when leaned over and my lines were getting unpredictable. A couple of times I hit the inner rumbles when I chopped the throttle too much, and the bike went all BLAH WTF, but throttle application and a panicked target fixation on where I wanted to go kept me up.

Still though, I was reliably getting the bike over, at a good speed. I think I've got something funny going on with the suspension though, any suggestions?

Last session of the day ended up being my fastest, by far. I didn't intend it to be, I was intending to only relax and roll around the track at a leisurely pace. But it turns out that when you're relaxed, you go WAY faster! Fast enough, with enough of a body position that . . .

I GOT MY KNEE DOWN :dance:

Which lead to what is likely the first time that anyone has ever examined their gear and said "Aw man, it's hardly rashed or torn up at all".

I wasn't the only one on inappropriate equipment. This old guy had two of these, one with the fairing and one without, that he was running HARD. He started them in A, but they asked him to move back down to I because even though he had the skill, the bikes just didn't have the power and people were getting jammed up behind him with some crazy speed differences. Still though, he was riding the ever loving gently caress out of the bikes, it was awesome to watch.

Someone else thought that a big dumb touring bike would be accptable at the track as well.

At the end of Sunday, Sam was a giant pussy and put his bike back on the trailer for the drive home, while I was more hardcore and badass and more awesomerest about it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do all US trackdays make you tape up your lights? Here it's just your mirrors, and that's just so you don't look in them.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Lights, indicators, anything that might shatter in a down. Most people pull the fuses for them as well, just so you don't end up melting the tape off.

As for the mirrors, taping them is acceptable in N, but I think I and A they have to be removed.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Tsaven Nava posted:

Someone else thought that a big dumb touring bike would be accptable at the track as well.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/tsaven/Trackdays/th_2010-09-12112206.jpg

... sigh...

I'm gonna need new tires.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Raven457 posted:

... sigh...

I'm gonna need new tires.

I learned that a large man on a bigass touring bike (BMW 1150RT? or something) can beat my bike in a drag race. I have video evidence. It's sad to watch :emo:

Really though that dude was getting around the track pretty drat well on that big bastard of a motorcycle. It was hilarious to watch.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

There was one guy who brought a touring bike to Loudon at my trackday. That's a pretty tight track though and he ended up lowsiding it in "the bowl" which is an uphill left hander.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

There was one guy who brought a touring bike to Loudon at my trackday. That's a pretty tight track though and he ended up lowsiding it in "the bowl" which is an uphill left hander.

I could see that happening, I've dragged hard parts pretty good in situations like that out in the Hill Country.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Raven457 posted:

I could see that happening, I've dragged hard parts pretty good in situations like that out in the Hill Country.

That guy on the R1200 was dragging his centerstand before anything else, which could be removed easily enough. What usually drags on the ST?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
The ST will drag the centerstand and then the riders footpegs, and then the passenger's foot if they have their toes out to the side where they shouldn't be... probably the same as him. I'm not sure how my centerstand comes off, but I've only just glanced at it a few times while changing the oil. I can see I'm going to have to find out sometime in the future.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Usually centerstand dragging is usually because people are off the gas. It seems counterintuitive, but you can actually lean the bike over farther when you have the throttle cracked on.

This is mainly going off my experiences with the ZX6E though. You'd get people dragging the centerstand or in a really extreme case, dragging the front fairing because they were off the gas so long and so deep into the corner that their front suspension was essentially fully compressed and they were dragging poo poo. Opening the throttle lifts the front end of the bike and helps stiffen up the rear suspension (thanks to the chain pulling the rear wheel closer to the bike).

tsaven your tires are fine. What was your PSI increase from cold to hot?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 15, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A well-ridden ZX-12R usual looks like it's be low-sided because those little winglets on the lower-leading edge of the fairing ground out all the time, and then the loving stator cover.

But they are big fatties.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A well-ridden ZX-12R usual looks like it's be low-sided because those little winglets on the lower-leading edge of the fairing ground out all the time, and then the loving stator cover.

But they are big fatties.

The ZX6E would drag the stator cover, if you got the exhausts and footpegs out of the way.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

tsaven your tires are fine. What was your PSI increase from cold to hot?

I don't know, I didn't check :doh:. I was running 30/30 cold. Someone said that the way the rubber was coming off the front of the grooves and building up on the rear of the grooves could indicate an issue with rebound?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Better questions, how old is the shock oil (miles) in front/rear? Have you set sag? Fine tuning the rebound isn't the first step here. Either way, I probably wouldn't worry about it... people spend forever messing with how the drat tires look instead of paying attention to how it rides. As long as you don't have major issues (you don't) then don't worry about it.

If you had better pictures we could tell you about your riding habits (when you get on the throttle, how hard, etc)... you can pick this stuff up based on the color of the rubber after the ride.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 15, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I set sag the best I could on the front, not yet on the rear. In my completely inexperienced hands, the bike feels really good. It's not scary or unpredictable when leaned over, it deals with bumps well, and feels very planted and confidence-inspiring when accelerating out of a corner.

Keep in mind that this is an '04 Wee-strom with effectively no adjustability. Front is preload only, rear is preload and rebound, but that's it. I've helped the front with some Intiminators in stock form which seem to have helped as much as I can expect.

While people do get all sorts of aftermarket shocks for the bike, in reality I know that if I was that serious about it, I should have an actual sportbike. I'm not going to dump $1500 into suspension work on a bike that will never be brilliant for the track anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tsaven Nava posted:

I set sag the best I could on the front, not yet on the rear. In my completely inexperienced hands, the bike feels really good. It's not scary or unpredictable when leaned over, it deals with bumps well, and feels very planted and confidence-inspiring when accelerating out of a corner.

Then don't worry about what your tyres look like.

• Locked thread