Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augustus Rumpus
Sep 23, 2007

code:
McEnroe!
Seriously, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that we would get cars at the end given Rockstar's ridiculous history with GTA--start out with a beater, beat the game with fighter jets and assault helicopters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

It's been a few months since I finished the game, but my memory is a little foggy. Was there ever any back story to Riley's Charge? It looked like the kind of place that was perfect for one of the side stories, but I cannot recall anything specific happening there.

Also, it's extremely unlikely, but can you imagine holing up in El Presidio with a few friends as wave after wave of undead assault your fort? It would be like the Alamo of the Living Dead.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

After slaughtering the police force of Armadillo, I decided to go wolf hunting. As I whistled for my horse, I noticed a band of bandits riding into town guns blazing! So naturally, I unloaded my Springfield rifle on their backs. One of the bandits (who looked like Jack Black) just wouldn't die. He kept getting up on a horse after being shot off. So, I decided to shoot the horse instead. For a brief moment I thought it was sort of a pity to shoot a 3 star horse. Well anyway, after I was done rifle-whipping Jack Black, I took a closer look at the dead horse.

"Wait..."

*whistle*

"Your mount is dead. You cannot whistle for a new one in a while."

:ssj:

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
Then who was horse?!

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
So I was messing around with Herbert Moon and I discovered some things. Once he kills all the cops in the area, all his bullet wounds disappear. This is disappointing because one time I saw him with at least 20 bullet wounds. Also, he's not invincible if you piss him off at the poker table. The police killed that version of him really fast once he got outside, then another Herbert Moon walked out of his store and walked right over his doppelganger's corpse.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
OK, so the Herbert Moon thing might be the best unintentional Easter Egg R* has done yet.

I got him pissed enough that he went after me, and he also ran away as soon as the law came by. Now he's just behind the buildings hiding in some rocks and he's got three cops shooting at him from three different angles. He wastes 2 of them (after taking way, way too many to the chest) and the third sheriff basically goes "gently caress This" and goes away. Mr. Moon is no longer interested in killing me, so he takes off West towards the tracks. I, being a good Samaritan decide it is time to bring him to justice. In short, I disarm him and shove his now limping rear end back into town. As soon as we hit city limits though? He draws another rifle on me. Johnny law will have none of it this time and corrals him in his own store, but they can't fight him very well in there. So I brave the hail of bullets, and lasso his rear end and drag him through the street. The best part though, these honorable lawmen are blasting away at the tied up, helpless old man, while I'm dragging him around. Best moment ever.

I am going to spend the next few hours seeing if any other characters have this same bug. Of course, nothing beats Herbert Moon screaming "Herbert Moon isn't going to take any more of this poo poo!"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

CzarChasm posted:

OK, so the Herbert Moon thing might be the best unintentional Easter Egg R* has done yet.

I got him pissed enough that he went after me, and he also ran away as soon as the law came by. Now he's just behind the buildings hiding in some rocks and he's got three cops shooting at him from three different angles. He wastes 2 of them (after taking way, way too many to the chest) and the third sheriff basically goes "gently caress This" and goes away. Mr. Moon is no longer interested in killing me, so he takes off West towards the tracks. I, being a good Samaritan decide it is time to bring him to justice. In short, I disarm him and shove his now limping rear end back into town. As soon as we hit city limits though? He draws another rifle on me. Johnny law will have none of it this time and corrals him in his own store, but they can't fight him very well in there. So I brave the hail of bullets, and lasso his rear end and drag him through the street. The best part though, these honorable lawmen are blasting away at the tied up, helpless old man, while I'm dragging him around. Best moment ever.

I am going to spend the next few hours seeing if any other characters have this same bug. Of course, nothing beats Herbert Moon screaming "Herbert Moon isn't going to take any more of this poo poo!"

Maybe its for shopkeepers in general. Try it on another one.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I got the law onto him, and he was taking them out. I moved from cover because I couldn't see what was happening, and went to one of the balconies to see better.

The bastard stopped his firefight to follow me upstairs. So I shot him. :( The law didn't like that much.

(Right now I'm playing poker in Armadillo with 3 other guys. One of which just keeps repeating something that sounds like 'Richard jam, I ain't teef'. To everything anyone says.)

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Hungryjack posted:

It's been a few months since I finished the game, but my memory is a little foggy. Was there ever any back story to Riley's Charge? It looked like the kind of place that was perfect for one of the side stories, but I cannot recall anything specific happening there.

Also, it's extremely unlikely, but can you imagine holing up in El Presidio with a few friends as wave after wave of undead assault your fort? It would be like the Alamo of the Living Dead.

If memory serves, the DLC coming out soon has seven new hideouts to play with. I'm guessing a lot of the stuff that's designed but not used will probably come into play there.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 15, 2010

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

If memory serves, the DLC coming out soon has seven new hideouts to play with. I'm guessing a lot of the stuff that's designed but not used will probably come into play there.

I hope the fancy mansion in Mexico gets some use. Agava something or other. It's just so pretty.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I thought that was a cool area, too. IIRC though, you only go there once to start a single mission and eventually you can't get into it any more. I wish there were more to do in some of these places because they're great set-pieces but never have any role in the story.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

How does this DLC work anyway? I know people who bought the tomahawk can chop me up with it, so that content exists in freeroam even though I never downloaded it myself. If I buy this pack which I have no interest in aside from those new hideouts, and i'm riding around freeroam with a few friends in my posse and stumble on to one of the hideouts, does everyone then get to play with me, or will there be a bunch of dudes shooting at me that no one else sees? I mean, they're not gonna start separating the people who have dlc from the people who don't have it are they? That would suck horribly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

davebo posted:

How does this DLC work anyway? I know people who bought the tomahawk can chop me up with it, so that content exists in freeroam even though I never downloaded it myself. If I buy this pack which I have no interest in aside from those new hideouts, and i'm riding around freeroam with a few friends in my posse and stumble on to one of the hideouts, does everyone then get to play with me, or will there be a bunch of dudes shooting at me that no one else sees? I mean, they're not gonna start separating the people who have dlc from the people who don't have it are they? That would suck horribly.

The dudes will probably still showup, they just won't count as a hideout for people without the DLC. They won't get the huge experience bonus and all that stuff. They'll just be shooting random dudes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Philip J Fry posted:

I thought that was a cool area, too. IIRC though, you only go there once to start a single mission and eventually you can't get into it any more. I wish there were more to do in some of these places because they're great set-pieces but never have any role in the story.

It'd be nice to have it as a property. A swanky villa out in the middle of nowhere, just for you. :unsmith: There's also an area in Mexico that's kinda tropical-ish, little blue streams and palm trees all over the place.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

So inspired by this thread I decided to gently caress around with Herbert Moon. Conveniently, as soon as I got to Armadillo he ran out of his shop chasing somebody who was going "oh no not again!" while Herbert Moon righteously cried "I'm Herbert Moon!"

Anyway, after getting him to go crazy etc. I got bored when he settled on taking occasional shots at lawmen from behind a stack of boxes and I thought I'd give him a hand and started executing the lawmen myself. During the ensuing fight I rode out of town a ways and then headed back in and a new posse had come after me. Here's the weird thing... no one could shoot me. They all had their guns drawn and pointed at me, they were all calling me an rear end in a top hat, but no one was actually shooting. This went on for quite a while. Occasionally someone would get a shot off but for the most part they just kept staring at me with guns pointed, shouting occasional obscenities, and they followed me all the way to Blackwater. wtf?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 15, 2010

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Capn Beeb posted:

It'd be nice to have it as a property. A swanky villa out in the middle of nowhere, just for you. :unsmith: There's also an area in Mexico that's kinda tropical-ish, little blue streams and palm trees all over the place.

It's a perfect ranch house, and it even has a little garden of agave leaves. Unlimited premium tequila! :rubshands:

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Earwicker posted:

So inspired by this thread I decided to gently caress around with Herbert Moon. Conveniently, as soon as I got to Armadillo he ran out of his shop chasing somebody who was going "oh no not again!" while Herbert Moon righteously cried "I'm Herbert Moon!"

Anyway, after getting him to go crazy etc. I got bored when he settled on taking occasional shots at lawmen from behind a stack of boxes and I thought I'd give him a hand and started executing the lawmen myself. During the ensuing fight I rode out of town a ways and then headed back in and a new posse had come after me. Here's the weird thing... no one could shoot me. They all had their guns drawn and pointed at me, they were all calling me an rear end in a top hat, but no one was actually shooting. This went on for quite a while. Occasionally someone would get a shot off but for the most part they just kept staring at me with guns pointed, shouting occasional obscenities, and they followed me all the way to Blackwater. wtf?

Probably a glitch. I had a similar one, though it was a single guy., who was a bounty. He'd yell random stuff, roughly 'you won't catch me' etc, but wouldn't move. He was turned away from me, but was turning his head to at least try and look at me. Was pretty funny.

Edit: Adding this from the video game glitches thread:

bengraven posted:

EDIT: the irony would be that the next time Rockstar did a wide open game based on the countryside, if you sat in one place and looked around every time you spotted something moving, you were probably about to get eaten by a loving mountain lion.

THAT'S an even scarier game.

Sir Spaniard fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 15, 2010

Spike McMayhem
Jun 3, 2005

Mind if I rape ye, then?
Oh.. oh my.. I barrelled into Blackwater at top speed on one of those horse-drawn chariots, hit a bump or something and John went flying, lands on his head and just.. lays there.

I've left it for ten minutes and he's still just lying there as people walk past giving a cheery 'MORNIN' MISTER MARSTEN!' and tipping their hats. I think I just Christopher Reeve'd John Marsten :ohdear: Why is nobody helping him. :ohdear:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Now hit the aim trigger as people walk by to make them panic and run around screaming. If you can catch a lawman with it he'll pull his gun and stand guard over you!

vvv How the hell did you carry that guy to the top of the train? vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 15, 2010

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
God I love this game. The possibilities are endless, behold:

Then when the train came to a stop at the next stop, I threw the guy in front of the stopped train to see if the train would still go, and if he would still gib.

Before anything happened, a group of bandits came into town shooting their guns in the air. Couldn't help myself, I shot one off his horse and then 5 or 6 more surrounded me as the train bell started ringing. I kept trying to fight and stay alive while watching the train, I finally took down the last threat and watched as the train dragged the guy along, until he ragdolled off to the side, dead.

This is awesome as well:

Angry Diplomat posted:

vvv How the hell did you carry that guy to the top of the train? vvv

There's a short tunnel the train goes through in Mexico. I had that guy on my horse, saw the train, remembered the tunnel was nearby and gave it a shot. Rode horse up to top, then I was trying to drop the guy in front of the train but it wouldn't let me. So I just hopped on. Unfortunately while on or in the train, you can't drop the guy.

Sco Dylan fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 15, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I think the most cold-blooded thing I've done in game is to tie someone up, throw them on my horse for a ride to the cemetery. Toss them on/in a grave, and execute them.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Liars and Cheats DLC trailer up on Gametrailers.com
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-liars-red-dead/704471

Explosive rifle? Why yes, I would like it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Scarf posted:

I think the most cold-blooded thing I've done in game is to tie someone up, throw them on my horse for a ride to the cemetery. Toss them on/in a grave, and execute them.

I was walking through Escalera to start a brawl at the bar when some peasant ran up to me and started yelling about his horse. Without breaking stride, I slashed him with my knife and walked over his cooling body. I don't care about your horse, rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I think overall the most cold-blooded thing I inadvertently did was in Thieve's Den, a guy was absconding with a hogtied prostitute. John takes out his Double Action, takes aim and fires in one smooth motion. Blows the back of the hooker's head clean off, the guy just dumps her in the middle of the bridge staring down at her in shock. The kicker was John tipping his hat calmly to another woman running by.

"Evening, miss."

That'll teach me to use the stupid auto-aim... locked right onto the woman's head.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
So, I finally want to get into playing multiplayer. Who here still plays regularly and would be willing to team up with me some?

GT: SA 3toes

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
I don't play regularly but have been unsuccessfully looking for someone to boost achievements. I'll add you, just send me a message if you want to experience the joys of being shot at randomly in free roam.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm not very good, but I might be on for a few hours over the next few nights:

GT: Khlamydia Koala

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'd still like to do the achievement-boosting thing but the only time I have is either really early in the morning or late at night.

Also Rockstar really needs to do another double XP weekend. Only 11 levels away from 50 now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If I end up house sitting for my friend, I can get my RDR copy back and use his gold account as well. I might be up for some multiplayer later this week.

Are the metatags still up and rolling?

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
I'm rather late to the party, but I recently borrowed this game from a friend. I've never been a big fan of old westerns, but I'm loving the hell out of this game.

My most amusing experience in the game so far came when we were just screwing around in the wild. My friend suggested that I try shooting my horse in the back of the head while riding full speed. I agreed, but I didn't want to do it to my own horse, so I set out to catch a wild one. I found a pack near Armadillo and lassoed one up, who then tore rear end away before I could mount it. I got back on my own horse and gave chase all the way past McFarlane's Ranch, sprinting the whole way and feeding it apple after apple.

I eventually conceded defeat and accepted that I wasn't going to catch the bastard. I wasn't about to let it get away alive after all the hassle it put me through, though. Still galloping after it, I equip my rifle, press down L2, let the auto-aim do its thing, and hastily fired a shot...accidentally right into my own horse's skull.

Laughed for a good five minutes afterwards, but I'll never live down the shame of being bested by that drat horse.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If I end up house sitting for my friend, I can get my RDR copy back and use his gold account as well. I might be up for some multiplayer later this week.

Are the metatags still up and rolling?

My roommate just picked up his own Xbox 360 and RDR, and we've been posse'ing it up in hardcore free-roam for like 2 days straight now. Shoot me a Live message/friend request if you're feeling down. We're grinding hideouts and tomahawking pubbies left and right.

GT: MasterMandrel

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I'm really looking forward to the DLC next Tuesday, even though it means freeroam is going to look like a John Marston cloning machine went haywire in the old west.

HE WAS A MARSTON FAN AT HEART ITS CLEAR...HE SEARCHED AND FOUND A MARSTON HAIR...

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Scarf posted:

I just imagined a cougar doing all of that, and laughed mightily. Why can't we get a cougar skin for players? That would rock.

Anyway, I'm psyched for this new DLC. I haven't touched the game in a while, but I'm tempted to hit it tonight just to see if I can get that last loving Sharpshooter level up.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I just imagined a cougar doing all of that, and laughed mightily. Why can't we get a cougar skin for players? That would rock.

Holy poo poo. What if they later added being able to play as animals. Starting at coyotes or something, working up to bears. Leveling up by ambushing people. That'd be fun.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sir Spaniard posted:

Holy poo poo. What if they later added being able to play as animals. Starting at coyotes or something, working up to bears. Leveling up by ambushing people. That'd be fun.

No it wouldn't, because then the game would get flooded by loving furries instead of being the sweet, sweet furry holy water that it is right now.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sir Spaniard posted:

Actually, I was just talking about being able to play as a cougar but still maintain being a cowboy. A cougar riding a horse with a hogtied captive, etc. Your idea has merit...that might have been a better way to do the Beastmaster cheat, if anything.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Actually, I was just talking about being able to play as a cougar but still maintain being a cowboy. A cougar riding a horse with a hogtied captive, etc. Your idea has merit...that might have been a better way to do the Beastmaster cheat, if anything.

Nah, that'd be even MORE along the lines of Furries with the whole anthropomorphic poo poo...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 17, 2010

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

I realised that was what you meant. And would be fun as well. That horse glitch was pretty funny. I kept hoping that the horse-person would pull a gun.

Edit: drat cougars even get all up in my poo poo here now too. :(

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Scarf posted:

Nah, that'd be even MORE along the lines of Furries with the whole anthropomorphic poo poo...

Aw poo poo. I've been around this place for far too long.

Thank you, Revenge Cougar, for showing me the light. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Although if anyone wants to photoshop a Marsten-esque cowboy hat onto my avatar, I wouldn't be against it :3:

• Locked thread