Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Manuals only (I think.)

I wonder how much the skip-shift system costs manufacturers, sure they aren't taxed, but the components and time to install them has got to add up pretty quickly when you're making tens of thousands of cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
CAFE numbers are worth a huge amount, allowing them to offload gigantic lovely cars just like they've always been able to!

Its just some code, a few feet of wire, and a solenoid. Its not really expensive.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I'm sure if you smash it into second hard enough you can break something.

Also I am not the #1 Mustang fan in the world but god drat that Shelby is beautiful. I might seriously consider picking one up after the warranty on ~my e55~ runs out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nait Sirhc posted:

I'm sure if you smash it into second hard enough you can break something.

Also I am not the #1 Mustang fan in the world but god drat that Shelby is beautiful. I might seriously consider picking one up after the warranty on ~my e55~ runs out.

It's basically the same mechanism they use to do reverse lockout at speed (hell, I think the solenoids have the same part number)

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Yeah, the skip-shift in my CTS-V was very annoying, but like was mentioned, it only came on if very limited perameters were met (speed, throttle, and not on a hill), could be temporarily defeated by turning on 'competitive driving' (Relaxing the traction control for spirited or winter driving) and permanently defeated by a 15 dollar skip shift eliminator that takes 2 minutes to install.

The little 1-> 4 indicator still comes up on my mfd but it no longer does anything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Manuals only (I think.)

I wonder how much the skip-shift system costs manufacturers, sure they aren't taxed, but the components and time to install them has got to add up pretty quickly when you're making tens of thousands of cars.

Probably takes about 35 seconds of line time and less than a dollar's worth of parts, versus the CAFE thing and the fact that you're saving the customer 1K plus in gas guzzler tax.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

A MIRACLE posted:

This is only on auto trannys right?

As has been said, manuals only. Yet another reason automatics rule. :smug:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Like I said I turn the skip shift light into a game now. How long can you drive with it on? My record is about 15 seconds. :smug:

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Skip shift is a plot by big oil. Make people hate it, they floor their cars to ummm bypass it, and use more fuel. Thus lining the pockets of big oil.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Man, how the hell did I miss this thread? I've had my 2006 GT for a little over two years now, and she treats me right. I couldn't ask for a happier car and I'd recommend the older GTs in a heartbeat to those of you willing to live with the fact that the base 2011s these days make more HP than you do. It really can't be overemphasized how much fun it is to wake up in the morning, wander downstairs, and break into a grin because you get to drive a Mustang. :) I was especially lucky - mine was driven by an OC grandpa who put maybe 15k on it total over the time he owned it, and tricked it out with all the factory options (leather seats, Shaker sound system, etc). His trophy wife was making him replace it with a Lexus - we had a lot of fun when we met up to sign paperwork because he was joking that he should have traded in the wife instead of the car. :)

She's also been absolutely rock solid in terms of mechanical stuff - the only annoyance is a little surging on occasion when the engine is really cold and I'm coasting at zero throttle in a parking lot or something, but that's just being temperamental more than anything else.

The 2011s are incredibly sexy cars and can put up some amazing numbers, but don't forget the old girls either!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Has anyone recently installed a mach 1 grille delete kit? I ordered one from dallasmustang and they basically sent the ford parts directly for it... biggest problem i have with this stupid thing is the U shaped part that is supposed to follow the curve of the bumper doesnt even come close. Im gonna gently caress with it more tomorrow but my god i cant believe how lovely it looks right now. Ill take pics tomorrow.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Someone left this oxcart on my doorstep. But I like the color, so I think I'll keep it.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Hypnolobster posted:

It locks out second and third in regular driving.

kill me now posted:

It forces a 1-4 shift when you're within some narrow parameters (usually between 12-19mph and at less then 17% throttle)

I don't know if Ford implemented it differently, but in a GTO it only blocks second and lights up a 1->4 indicator on the dash. You can just shift into third if you're too lazy to plug in a resistor.

frozenphil posted:

As has been said, manuals only. Yet another reason automatics rule. :smug:

Hardly, but it did make the manual a no-cost option after the slushbox GTOs got hit with the guzzler tax.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Presto posted:

Someone left this oxcart on my doorstep. But I like the color, so I think I'll keep it.

Very sexy! Does it really need a backup camera though? :v:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Backup cameras are useful:

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Presto posted:

Whoever left it on your doorstep had very good taste in colors.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

mod sassinator posted:

Well, you don't really need it, at least once you fold down the rear headrests, but it's pretty nice.

I'd also like to say that I'm surprised at how cool Sync is. The most shocking thing, speaking as a programmer, is that it really works. It took me longer to figure out how to turn on bluetooth in my ancient Motorola L2 than it did to get it connected to the car. And the voice control knows how to pronounce people's names. :tinfoil:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Presto posted:

Well, you don't really need it, at least once you fold down the rear headrests, but it's pretty nice.

I'd also like to say that I'm surprised at how cool Sync is. The most shocking thing, speaking as a programmer, is that it really works. It took me longer to figure out how to turn on bluetooth in my ancient Motorola L2 than it did to get it connected to the car. And the voice control knows how to pronounce people's names. :tinfoil:

Sync is pretty awesome for whatever language you're using it in (I assume; I've only tried English), but it can't understand foreign names (for music, or phone contacts) worth a gently caress, which can be annoying from time to time because I listen to a lot of foreign music.

Also, the backup camera is a pretty wicked thing for parallel parking or backing into a parking spot, since you know exactly how much room you have. For general use it's much better and safer to look out your rear window like a normal person, since the camera doesn't have a great field of view.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Is the backup camera the little black circle on the back of the spoiler?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

CombatWombat posted:

Is the backup camera the little black circle on the back of the spoiler?

Yup.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
So apparently the Boss may be limited to 8000 cars over two years, but I'm not bothered by that. They made around the same number of Bullitts and Ford seemed to have enough of them to go around.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I think my radiator is making GBS threads the bed. What would be my best bet for replacement? I hear a lot about fitiment and leaking issues with the Mishimoto radiator. Would my best bet be to go with a stock cobra setup from an 03/04?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KickStand posted:

I think my radiator is making GBS threads the bed. What would be my best bet for replacement? I hear a lot about fitiment and leaking issues with the Mishimoto radiator. Would my best bet be to go with a stock cobra setup from an 03/04?

I've heard just as many people say good things about the Mishimoto radiator as bad. I am personally a believer in OEM stuff, but Fluidyne, Griffon, etc... make a quality product; albeit at a premium price.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Can anyone tell me what the problem is with 05 Mustang GT gauges?

I don't know if it's a common problem but the gauges on my friend's GT have poo poo out, the local dealerships are literally scam artists and we don't trust them for a number of reasons.

I'm inclined to believe the gauges themselves are defective but if anyone has any direct experiences or things I can do to troubleshoot them I'd be very grateful.

ALL the gauges in the pod are affected including the speedometer. Sometimes they just stay dead or sometimes they will get stuck while moving. Most of the time lately they don't work at all.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/14/shelby-announces-2011-gt500-super-snake-with-up-to-800-horsepowe/#continued

WTF? over seven hunnnnerd horse power for $75k... (assuming you buy a base gt500 from costco then immediately get the install).

The stylings kind of ugly but whatever 750 loving hp.

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn
It either needs to lose the splitter/diffuser or the hood. Having both makes the front end look too heavy/blunt. The rest isn't too bad. Could probably lose the C window covers though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bob Log posted:

Can anyone tell me what the problem is with 05 Mustang GT gauges?

I don't know if it's a common problem but the gauges on my friend's GT have poo poo out, the local dealerships are literally scam artists and we don't trust them for a number of reasons.

I'm inclined to believe the gauges themselves are defective but if anyone has any direct experiences or things I can do to troubleshoot them I'd be very grateful.

ALL the gauges in the pod are affected including the speedometer. Sometimes they just stay dead or sometimes they will get stuck while moving. Most of the time lately they don't work at all.

Maybe there's a bad ground for your gauge pod/dash? Poke around for power or ground, since they all poo poo out at once.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
:corsair: Back in my day, we thought 628 horsepower stock was ridiculous! :corsair:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Hooch302 posted:

It either needs to lose the splitter/diffuser or the hood. Having both makes the front end look too heavy/blunt. The rest isn't too bad. Could probably lose the C window covers though.

I agree, but at the same time I disagree because that's taking everything that makes it a visually loud and crazy car away and making it look more like a modified GT. My personal opinion is like Omegaslast's - for that much horsepower it can look like whatever the hell it wants. At second glance though they could have done better with the rims for $75K :colbert:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

CombatWombat posted:

:corsair: Back in my day, we thought 628 horsepower stock was ridiculous! :corsair:

628 NET horsepower :smug:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
What car came with 628 HP stock?

Muffinpox posted:

628 NET horsepower :smug:

Haha.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

Original Boss 429s dyno in the 450s at the tire which works out to around 525hp at the flywheel. Underrating was ridiculous back in the day. The 427 SOHC puts down over 600hp at the tire; it was rated at 425hp for NASCAR purposes.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Ok well I don't think my radiator is the issue. I pulled the hoses and it seems to be flowing properly, no gunk build up or anything. I had flushed it already at the beginning of the summer. However my coolant overflow tank over flowed last night when I pulled in to my driveway after work (this was before I pulled the hoses and re-filled the fluid). Coolant running out of where the cap screws on. There wasn't too much coolant in the system prior to this so I am not sure what is going on. Does this sound like my thermostat is going bad? Its a cheap part so replacing it isnt an issue, just trying to get some opinions.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KickStand posted:

Ok well I don't think my radiator is the issue. I pulled the hoses and it seems to be flowing properly, no gunk build up or anything. I had flushed it already at the beginning of the summer. However my coolant overflow tank over flowed last night when I pulled in to my driveway after work (this was before I pulled the hoses and re-filled the fluid). Coolant running out of where the cap screws on. There wasn't too much coolant in the system prior to this so I am not sure what is going on. Does this sound like my thermostat is going bad? Its a cheap part so replacing it isnt an issue, just trying to get some opinions.

So, what year/model is your car? Any mods?

How does the radiator cap itself look? May just be a cracked gasket on the cap not letting the system pressurize and causing it to boil over.
Any bubbles in the coolant when the car is running? If so, do a compression test to check for a possible blown head gasket.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

So, what year/model is your car? Any mods?

How does the radiator cap itself look? May just be a cracked gasket on the cap not letting the system pressurize and causing it to boil over.
Any bubbles in the coolant when the car is running? If so, do a compression test to check for a possible blown head gasket.

2001 gt, 76,xxx miles. Only mods so far are a CAI. Cap looks OK to the naked eye, Ill double check for any cracks in the gasket, doesn't appear to be any bubbling in the system while the car is running.

Also there doesn't seem to be any oil in the coolant or water/coolant in the oil but Ill do a compression test to check the head gaskets if I cant get this straightened out in a day or two.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KickStand posted:

2001 gt, 76,xxx miles. Only mods so far are a CAI. Cap looks OK to the naked eye, Ill double check for any cracks in the gasket, doesn't appear to be any bubbling in the system while the car is running.

Also there doesn't seem to be any oil in the coolant or water/coolant in the oil but Ill do a compression test to check the head gaskets if I cant get this straightened out in a day or two.

Just buy a new cap. They're what, $5?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

MikeyTsi posted:

Just buy a new cap. They're what, $5?

Im going to buy a new cap and a new thermostat. Ill check the compression at the same time and change the plugs while I am at it. Hopefully it is a simple fix and not a head gasket

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Omegaslast posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/14/shelby-announces-2011-gt500-super-snake-with-up-to-800-horsepowe/#continued

WTF? over seven hunnnnerd horse power for $75k... (assuming you buy a base gt500 from costco then immediately get the install).

Wow. It has so many kinds of sexiness.

DeusIgnis fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 17, 2010

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

Haha.

it was a joke about the new ZR1, jesus christ guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Omegaslast posted:

Most of that extra cost has to be the body pieces/paint/wheels. It's easy to make a ton of power for cheap on a GT500. On the 2010, you can just get a supercharger/idler pulley kit, a cold-air intake, and a reflash for ridiculous horsepower gains.