Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Agreed posted:

The SMMH just doesn't like daisy chains at all. It isn't really to do with the current draw, you can have other high draw pedals on a daisy chain with a sufficiently powerful source and have no issues, that pedal in particular is extremely picky about its input. I never even liked using it with a different adapter than the stock 9.6v that it came with, it seemed noisier with the incorrect wall wart.

Hmm, interesting. I had just assumed it was pushing my chain over the edge on what it could feed, and so it wasn't able to get enough current. Fortunately it seems to work alright for me now... Do you know if it would have any noise problems being fed off of a Voodoo/other "fancy" pedalboard supply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I asked about the POG2 vs MicroPOG awhile back and finally got a chance to play with them both yesterday. They both seemed to track well over the full range of the guitar (much better than even the monophonic boss octave pedal I tried). The attack and detune sliders on the POG2 really opened up a lot more possibilities, so much so that I think I'm leaning towards that one even though it costs more.

I'm really new to all of this, and I've read that a good delay pedal is a nice fundamental thing to have. I played with the Boss DD-7 yesterday, too, and the analog and modulate modes sounded really nice to me. Are there better alternatives to that pedal I should be cross shopping? I already have an RC20 for looping, so I'm less concerned with the sound on sound and memory stuff the fancier delays seem to have.

I'm also thinking about getting a Vox AC4TV soon, so I can have something a little more capable than my DA5. Is it possible to use the DA5 like a multi-effects box thing? It has a line out that mutes the speaker when something is plugged into it. Couldn't I theoretically do guitar -> da5 -> ac4 if I wanted to play with the onboard stuff built into the DA5?

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
I dunno about using the DA5 for it's effects, but I do know I love my AC4TV head (Epi cab).

Here's some info Agreed linked me: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2666567

So if ever you want a little more headroom you could save a bit of money by just purchasing a second cab rather than a second amp.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

man thats gross posted:

I dunno about using the DA5 for it's effects, but I do know I love my AC4TV head (Epi cab).

Here's some info Agreed linked me: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2666567

So if ever you want a little more headroom you could save a bit of money by just purchasing a second cab rather than a second amp.

Cool. Realistically, 1W is going to be plenty loud for me now so the warning about the attenuator means I probably wouldn't use that mod. What guitar do you play? I've got an AL-3100...Agreed mentioned he didn't like the AC4 with humbuckers as much, but it seems like I could control the breakup by lowering the guitar's volume...it worked ok with the epiphone I was playing with at guitar center and the amp sounded great.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I'm trying to find an analog reverb pedal for under $200. I know this may be a limiting factor and may ruffle some feathers, but I don't usually go for anything made by EHX. (I've had bad experiences with them.) I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I've been looking at the Tech 21 RVB. Does anybody here have any experience with that pedal?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
There are very few analog reverb units in production, I don't think there are any analog reverb pedals.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

havelock posted:

Cool. Realistically, 1W is going to be plenty loud for me now so the warning about the attenuator means I probably wouldn't use that mod. What guitar do you play? I've got an AL-3100...Agreed mentioned he didn't like the AC4 with humbuckers as much, but it seems like I could control the breakup by lowering the guitar's volume...it worked ok with the epiphone I was playing with at guitar center and the amp sounded great.

A Godin LG P90, so I'm afraid I don't know how humbuckers would sound. Love it with my P90s though.

The only reason that "mod" (I'm not sure running two cabs in parallel is really considered a mod) is really handy is that if you're in a situation where you need a bit more juice, say a small-ish gig where you're not sure 4 watts is gonna cut it or if you get lost in the mix jamming with friends. If you don't need it, don't buy a second cab. If in the future you find you do need it, it's a relatively cheap upgrade. That's all.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

the wizards beard posted:

There are very few analog reverb units in production, I don't think there are any analog reverb pedals.

Since "analog reverb" is a metal box with a spring in it, a pedal would be pretty impractical.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

CalvinDooglas posted:

Since "analog reverb" is a metal box with a spring in it, a pedal would be pretty impractical.

Impractical? Perhaps. That doesn't mean you can't have one.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

betterinsodapop posted:

I've been looking at the Tech 21 RVB. Does anybody here have any experience with that pedal?

If I remember correctly, Tech 21 used some fancy language there. It's not an "analog reverb," but it is a reverb pedal with analog "lo-fi" controls. It's still an amazing pedal and I'm buying one myself soon.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It might also keep an analog dry path - my favorite pedal verb, the Marshall Reflector, did/does that (discontinued but not too hard to find). By preventing the dry signal from going through the conversion process you avoid the potentially low quality summing that goes on with cheap pedals, since it basically outputs the signals in parallel at the jack and only the affected portion is digital. It does also prevent a 100% wet mix, but it's give and take with a compact pedal format.

Personally I don't care that much about analog versus digital, especially for signal processors. Decent converters are inexpensive and feature low aliasing. Modern digital processing pedals just don't have issues noticeable within the range of frequencies present once you factor in the guitar's acoustics, the pickup's frequency response, any dirt pedal you're using and its frequency response, your amp's frequency shaping, and finally your cabinet's significant bandwidth limitations. Much ado over little (if not, necessarily, nothing).

The Danelectro Spring King combines a short slapback delay with actual (short springs, but real) spring reverb. I don't like Danelectro but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention a product that fits your criteria.

Frankly man digital reverbs are where it's at. You're not going to be satisfied with a full spring reverb unless you're willing to spend some real cash on a tank like the Fender '63 reissue (or competing, lower priced but equal quality products that use fundamentally the same components). If you're looking for a good reverb in a small form factor, there are tons of them! Tons and tons and tons! But you don't need to worry about the digital aspect, just follow your ears. Eyes can't hear worth a drat and preconceptions don't even have senses at all. The best reverb units around that are remotely affordable are digital, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way they sound. It just comes down to the kinds of features you're looking for.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 16, 2010

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Agreed posted:

my favorite pedal verb, the Marshall Reflector

Quoting this - I now own his Reflector, and a reeeeeeeally like it. You can pry it from my cold, dead hands. There's no way I am packing up a full size plate reverb to take to a friend's house.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
My Digiverb is nice but for some reason has a volume drop when in the effects loop of my HT5. I've heard you compliment the Marshall before Agreed, but the Harmony Central reviews seem to state that it's very unreliable. Do you know if that was a teething problem that was fixed? I've been looking for a Verbzilla Toncecore Module to pop into a dock I have but nobody seems to have them anymore.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Get a used one. Any production run with problems will have been weeded out by now

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Get a used one. Any production run with problems will have been weeded out by now

True, used also means it's survived the first stage of the bathtub curve as well I suppose. BTW I'm been playing with your old Bluesbreaker2 pedal a lot recently. Great clean boost and the blues side of it is very very usable too.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
A friend of mine broke the power supply to your Tubeking onstage at Fibbers :ughh:

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

A friend of mine broke the power supply to your Tubeking onstage at Fibbers :ughh:

:ughh: Fibbers :ughh:

To be fair though, I haven't been in there for 15 years :P

AFAIR the PSU was a 12VAC 1A? Hack an old laptop power supply?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Yeah, I've been meaning to do something like that. It looks like power supplies are about €4-9, I'll probably just order something and re-use the jack connector from the old one.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Hey guys, thank you for your helpful info (esp. Agreed.) The concept of "analog" reverb sort of puzzled me too, as I thought "Wouldn't that just be a spring?" Thanks for clearing that up.

I'll be checking out the Marshall Reflector, Tech 21 RVB, and a few more. Thanks again.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

man thats gross posted:

Impractical? Perhaps. That doesn't mean you can't have one.

oh I know they make digital reverb pedals, and they are practical. But I had a funny image in my head of an "analog reverb pedal" being a reverb tank sitting there in the pedal chain making awful spring noise every time something touched it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I think I just broke my Big Muff Pi with Tone/Wicker. I dropped it yesterday and something came loose and then when I opened up the back to see what I think I made it worse and now the switch doesn't work. I might have just put the spring back in wrong. Any advice as to what I should do? I'm not in love with the pedal and I've been beginning to think I like my Russian Muff more, but it was like $90 bucks and I don't want to throw that away, nor do I want to piss much more money at it.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

CalvinDooglas posted:

But I had a funny image in my head of an "analog reverb pedal" being a reverb tank sitting there in the pedal chain making awful spring noise every time something touched it.

Check the link again. They have exactly such a thing for sale.

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008
I sold my carbon copy because I'm lusting for more from a delay. I'm looking at the EQD Disaster Transport and the Malekko Ekko 616. Anyone messed with those?

Content:
I ended up getting an OCD v4 if anybody cares. The thing rocks.

Also, go check out Fuzzhugger FX. I got an arc flash and it's nuts.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Tsunami Redux posted:

I sold my carbon copy because I'm lusting for more from a delay. I'm looking at the EQD Disaster Transport and the Malekko Ekko 616. Anyone messed with those?

Content:
I ended up getting an OCD v4 if anybody cares. The thing rocks.

Also, go check out Fuzzhugger FX. I got an arc flash and it's nuts.

I sold my carbon copy for the same reason. I thought it sounded amazing but I wanted more. The ekko 616 is just like the carbon copy, also sounds amazing though. I looked at the disaster transport but in the end I went with a line 6 DL4 just because they are pretty cheap and seem to have lots of cool features like the looper.

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008

Tutu posted:

I sold my carbon copy for the same reason. I thought it sounded amazing but I wanted more. The ekko 616 is just like the carbon copy, also sounds amazing though. I looked at the disaster transport but in the end I went with a line 6 DL4 just because they are pretty cheap and seem to have lots of cool features like the looper.

Well, I want to buy something I won't want to replace (stop laughing). Were you leaning towards the 616 or the disaster transport before you got the DL4?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

If I didn't already have a Memory Boy and Space Echo I'd buy this in a second.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The TC electronics Nova Delay soudns really great and has a tonne of features.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Narwhale posted:

http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

If I didn't already have a Memory Boy and Space Echo I'd buy this in a second.

This looks really cool although I'm In The same boat as you. Do you have an expression pedal set up on your space echo? I've been meaning to get one and try it but it's a hassle.

Tsunami Redux
Jan 18, 2008

Three Red Lights posted:

The TC electronics Nova Delay soudns really great and has a tonne of features.

I ended up picking up a used nova repeater in great shape for $100. It seems like it's got everything but looping. Hopefully it sounds good.

Cumfartcocktails
Sep 18, 2010
Does anyone here use Source Audio effects of any kind? I stumbled across their Youtube channel a while ago and was really impressed with some of the sounds I was hearing from their bass effects and would like to know how they are aside from what the company says about em. They have some pretty interesting stuff, like a distortion/synth pedal that allows playing on the high strings and low strings at the same time without muddiness/playing chords other than 4ths and 5ths with clarity;

http://www.youtube.com/user/sourceaudioeffects#p/u/36/dKEWgOc_IBM

And a wah that operates on a thumb ring;

http://www.youtube.com/user/sourceaudioeffects#p/u/22/237P7FLCp84

Do they live up to the hype? Are they one-trick ponies? There are no retailers anywhere close to where I live where I could try these guys out.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tsunami Redux posted:

I ended up picking up a used nova repeater in great shape for $100. It seems like it's got everything but looping. Hopefully it sounds good.

I really like the Nova delays because I used to assume that all digital delays sounded exactly the same, I mean digital repeats the sound exactly, thats what it does right? But My boss sounds noticably cleaner than the line 6 I used to have, and the Nova is really freaking pristine.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 19, 2010

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Twlight posted:

This looks really cool although I'm In The same boat as you. Do you have an expression pedal set up on your space echo? I've been meaning to get one and try it but it's a hassle.

Not yet, but I'd like to. I've been doing some research into using one expression pedal with more than one effect. It would be cool to save space on my board, and it's not like you can use more than one at once anyway.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What's the nifty effect used in the solo of Dirty Diana where the sound spazzes out?

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Can someone with a Devi Ever BIT try something out for me? Do you get ANY output at all with the Control set any lower than around 9 o'clock at any volume? I've got nothing else in the chain, volume on the guitar at max, P90s if it matters. With the Control any lower than 9 I get nothing, and it sort of spurts into life after that point.

This thing is so close to sounding defective by design that I have no idea if I have a dud or not. But the fact that it outputs absolutely nothing below 9 o'clock is sort of disconcerting.

edit: Nevermind, found out on their forums that it's a matter of pickup output. P90s ain't hot enough. :saddowns:

man thats gross fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 23, 2010

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Following the general circle jerk over the ISP Decimator (over in the new gear thread), I have a question;

Should I get a Boss NS=2 (which my mate uses, and I quite like, though his setup is nothing like mine), or spend a bit more on the aforementioned Decimator?

My problem is thus-

I have a daisy chain power supply (although I have ended up using my main distortion, a Shredmaster off a separate supply due to the following issue) and if I put my pedals in any order other than Shredmaster>CF7(chorus)>Vox Time Machine (delay), I get a HIDEOUS shrieking tone (not feedback, but mental line noise) come through.

It'd be nice to be able to include a couple of other pedals I have lying around in my setup, but anything other than this precise order creates the shriek. Will the DSP be able to prevent this?

New God
Jun 2, 2007

It takes shades of faggotry to make an awesome rainbow
Any good suggestions for a STEREO chorus pedal? Trying to get an approximation of the husker du/ Naked Raygun sound. Anyone know what they used or have suggestions for a similar tone, I can't find any info on the internet? I dont care if its true bypass or any of that stuff.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

New God posted:

Any good suggestions for a STEREO chorus pedal? Trying to get an approximation of the husker du/ Naked Raygun sound. Anyone know what they used or have suggestions for a similar tone, I can't find any info on the internet? I dont care if its true bypass or any of that stuff.

When in doubt, go with a classic: Boss CH-1

New God
Jun 2, 2007

It takes shades of faggotry to make an awesome rainbow

blue.eyed.ash posted:

When in doubt, go with a classic: Boss CH-1

Not so much into the CH-1, very sterile and doesn't play well with distortion.

Something like this tone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qONLDwG1jg

DOD fx65 maybe? They are super cheap on ebay.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
I just ordered some pedals and I'm looking for some general input on my pedal board. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but with the latest additions my signal path should be something like:

Boss TU-2 Tuner ->
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah ->
Maxon OD808 Overdrive ->
EHX Metal Muff Distortion ->
MXR Carbon Copy Delay ->
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor ->
Morley PLA Volume pedal

for running into the clean channel of an amp. It will be used for everything from jazz to death metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
I was reading about the Boss noise suppressor and apparently you're not supposed to just put it in your signal path. You're supposed to use it's send and return for your noisy pedals or something like that.