Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Woofington posted:

OK, I believe you. So then how did my old exhaust mount? Because I know it mounted onto the swing arm.

Your exhaust mounts to a bracket that mounts to the frame. You can download the workshop manual here: http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

Once downloaded take a look at page 70.

ShaneB posted:

Someone correct me if I am wrong here

Download the above mentioned workshop manual. Page 6. Yes, you're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Blaster of Justice posted:

You can't do that. At least shave the seat with the needle and abrasive just like you'd seat valves. That is, if you insist on using hours to save a $10 part.

What you suggest is the sure way to make things worse. Fat chance getting a closing cone with a cotton swab.
the idea is to not grind it to shape but instead polish it and remove any varnish/dirt that's preventing a good seal. it takes ten minutes of work, not "hours"

i've done this trick successfully on quite a lot of bikes

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 17, 2010

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

Your exhaust mounts to a bracket that mounts to the frame. You can download the workshop manual here: http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

Once downloaded take a look at page 70.

Download the above mentioned workshop manual. Page 6. Yes, you're wrong.

ok I think you might be right. I am confused as hell then where my swing arm pivots then, because I cannot find a pivot point.

jok3r
Mar 30, 2010
So i saw this thread and really got me interested in buying and restoring a old bike to commute around town.

I went on craigslist and found this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1890391186.html

how hard do you think it will be to restore something like this for someone with no automotive experience? Im good at reading and following directions just never really messed with anything automotive.

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

jok3r posted:

So i saw this thread and really got me interested in buying and restoring a old bike to commute around town.

I went on craigslist and found this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1890391186.html

how hard do you think it will be to restore something like this for someone with no automotive experience? Im good at reading and following directions just never really messed with anything automotive.
It looks trashed. The gas tank is built into the frame, and if that's significantly rusty then the frame will be compromised.

"mostly all there" hahaha

jok3r
Mar 30, 2010
thanks ill keep looking everything else just seems a little expensive. Plus i wanna get something i can fix up from the ground up so i know what is what and what goes where in case i have to do repairs

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

jok3r posted:

thanks ill keep looking everything else just seems a little expensive. Plus i wanna get something i can fix up from the ground up so i know what is what and what goes where in case i have to do repairs
I prefer solid tube frames with separate tanks as opposed to tank-in-frame mopeds, so I'd say get a Swinger/Pinto/Freespirit. The E50 is incredibly simple to work on and rebuild, and parts are cheap.

When you're feeling more confident go buy a Hobbit and don't look back.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY posted:

I prefer solid tube frames with separate tanks as opposed to tank-in-frame mopeds, so I'd say get a Swinger/Pinto/Freespirit. The E50 is incredibly simple to work on and rebuild, and parts are cheap.

When you're feeling more confident go buy a Hobbit and don't look back.

I keep hearing about Hobbits. Why do people love them so much?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Woofington posted:

I keep hearing about Hobbits. Why do people love them so much?

As a Derbi owner, you don't have much to worry about, but Hobbits are great because they are case-inducted bikes with reeds and are dual variated, and have plenty of performance parts. Dual-variated means there is a variator up front and a pulley in the back, so it's essentially like having a continuously variable transmission, you are always in a good "gear". They are also ridiculously easy to make hit at least 50 with bolt-on parts. $250-300 Hobbit + $150 DR/Polini/Parma/etc kit + $110 Proma circuit + $6 jet + $15 reeds + $5 clutch springs ($20 clutch remover, though) + notched variator (free through owning hacksaw and rotary tool) = sub-$600 50-53 mph blaster that takes off like a rocket with power everywhere that took you an afternoon to put together.

Something is wrong with my Hobbit carb SOMEWHERE, though, either the bowl isn't filling fast enough due to a clog in the fuel inlet to float intake (doubtful) or something is wrong with my float/float pin. I'm running out of fuel on WOT runs all of a sudden. New petcock, new fuel line, new filter, clean carb.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

However I think Swinger/Pinto/Freespirits are about the ugliest things on the road. So ugly they bypass the "this is clearly something I ride without taking myself too seriously" realm and into "this is loving hideous" territory.

Agreed on the E50 though.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

ShaneB posted:

As a Derbi owner, you don't have much to worry about, but Hobbits are great because they are case-inducted bikes with reeds and are dual variated, and have plenty of performance parts. Dual-variated means there is a variator up front and a pulley in the back, so it's essentially like having a continuously variable transmission, you are always in a good "gear". They are also ridiculously easy to make hit at least 50 with bolt-on parts. $250-300 Hobbit + $150 DR/Polini/Parma/etc kit + $110 Proma circuit + $6 jet + $15 reeds + $5 clutch springs ($20 clutch remover, though) + notched variator (free through owning hacksaw and rotary tool) = sub-$600 50-53 mph blaster that takes off like a rocket with power everywhere that took you an afternoon to put together.

Something is wrong with my Hobbit carb SOMEWHERE, though, either the bowl isn't filling fast enough due to a clog in the fuel inlet to float intake (doubtful) or something is wrong with my float/float pin. I'm running out of fuel on WOT runs all of a sudden. New petcock, new fuel line, new filter, clean carb.

Oh I love learning about things like this. Mopeds just keep fascinating me. I want my derbi to run so badly. But now I need to figure out how the hell to mount my exhaust to my frame since I don't have a subframe. I am incredibly thankful that not only did I not destroy my exhaust, I don't even have an air leak :D

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ShaneB posted:

However I think Swinger/Pinto/Freespirits are about the ugliest things on the road. So ugly they bypass the "this is clearly something I ride without taking myself too seriously" realm and into "this is loving hideous" territory.
"Ugly" is a whole lot better than "sheet metal frame that pancakes due to rust in the gas tank"

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Snagged a 7.5/10 condition stock Magnum MKII tonight. :)

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ShaneB posted:

Snagged a 7.5/10 condition stock Magnum MKII tonight. :)
How much?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

How much?

$300, it wasn't a super steal or anything. A friend picked it up a month or so ago and tried to sell it for a lot more, but didn't put enough effort into it. He needed money for school and was tired of having it, so he just let me have it for what he paid for it. It's actually more like a 7/10, and it's a II, not a MKII, so it's non-hydro forks and spokes. I could flip it for 5-600 no problem, but I'd rather keep it, as it's one of the bikes I've wanted since I got into peds.

I'm swapping my entire power train over from my Maxi and the freshly powdercoated black mags as well, so it will be pretty sweet and clean enough to turn a few heads.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn
Are yamahoppers any good? I found one for 300 in good condition. Whats the consensus?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Woofington posted:

Are yamahoppers any good? I found one for 300 in good condition. Whats the consensus?

Isn't that pretty obvious?

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

ShaneB posted:

Isn't that pretty obvious?

Why do you gotta do this to me!? No ShaneB, how many times do I have to remind you, I do not know anything about peds! I don't know whats supposed to be obvious :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Woofington posted:

Why do you gotta do this to me!? No ShaneB, how many times do I have to remind you, I do not know anything about peds! I don't know whats supposed to be obvious :(

It's just a goofy looking bike. :) Unlike some of my friends, I don't find something to love in every bike. IMO, if you want to find out if a bike is worth buying, search on treats to see how many performance parts there are. More parts = more options = more fun.

Woofington
Jul 23, 2010

by T. Finn

ShaneB posted:

It's just a goofy looking bike. :) Unlike some of my friends, I don't find something to love in every bike. IMO, if you want to find out if a bike is worth buying, search on treats to see how many performance parts there are. More parts = more options = more fun.

Alright cool thanks. I was just like looking for a general opinion like "Oh yeah I heard they're good," or "They have some serious problems"

Just a tip in the right direction is all. Checking treats now.

edit: So there is nothing but one part on treats. Thats fine if its not customizable, I'm looking into it for a friend who just wants a sturdy, solid, speedy ped. What is this things power? It says its 50cc so its basically like most standard peds in terms of speed and capability? What is its gear ratio?

double edit: I'm not asking you to do research, just if you happen to know anything.

Woofington fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 9, 2010

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 10, 2010

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004

Woofington posted:

Alright cool thanks. I was just like looking for a general opinion like "Oh yeah I heard they're good," or "They have some serious problems"

edit: So there is nothing but one part on treats. Thats fine if its not customizable, I'm looking into it for a friend who just wants a sturdy, solid, speedy ped. What is this things power? It says its 50cc so its basically like most standard peds in terms of speed and capability? What is its gear ratio?

double edit: I'm not asking you to do research, just if you happen to know anything.

puch maxi, in my opinion. then again i would not describe mopeds as "solid" or "sturdy". i would describe their owners as "patient" and "loves to tinker constantly".

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just A Little Bit Closer...

Woofington posted:

There is plenty of stuff you can do to make a qt50 fast. The question is how much do you or your friend like to take stuff apart and cut things up and make them fit. You can make any pipe or carb work with enough time and access to tools and the skill to operate them. The malossi kit is supposed to be pretty sweet like everything else they make. There are easier and cheaper bikes if you aren't interested is serious modification or fabricating parts. Any puch bike or anything with a minarelli has an abundance of cheap parts.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
This just poped up on the local craigslist for $650. I'm really loving tempted. I really don't want to be that rear end in a top hat with a cape though.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Taht's a batavus. You don't want it.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Oh my god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkGm_ogDaDU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, I'm honestly surprised it held together at that speed for that amount of time.

I can maybe see a quick sprint to a speed like that and then letting off, but that guy held it pinned there for a long time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Everytime I hear about some domestic tuner doing something crazy and making a bike that can hit 70+, I see some Turks or a european going like 85-90+ on YouTube.

Also I need to learn what it is about Motobecanes that allow them to be SO FAST, even at 50cc. Some domestic guys just go apeshit on the cylinders and can get over 60. You need a strong kit to do that even on a dual-variated Hobbit.

Edit: also, in my moped news, putting M bars on my new Magnum changed the bike so significantly, it's phenomenal. I love how it rides now.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 17, 2010

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I don't know if this counts, but I've been building a bike similar to LobsterboyX's Whizzer.

It has a 49cc 4-stroke engine mated to an EZ Motorbike automatic transmission and some modifications to make it a bit safer, including a front disc and brake light.

As of right now, it won't run for more than a couple seconds. I'm hoping it's just in dire need of a carburetor adjustment. School and work take priority over it at the moment, but I hope to get it sorted out soon. The weather is wonderful right now.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

M4rg4r1ne posted:

I don't know if this counts, but I've been building a bike similar to LobsterboyX's Whizzer.

I can't speak for everybody, but in my book this counts. Wow!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is $425 a good price for a 2002 Tomos Sprint? It's black and very clean with some sort of aftermarket exhaust. There aren't many for sale in Texas so it's hard to judge the market.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Is $425 a good price for a 2002 Tomos Sprint? It's black and very clean with some sort of aftermarket exhaust. There aren't many for sale in Texas so it's hard to judge the market.

It's a new Tomos.... so... not anything I like to recommend to anyone just out of my prejudice on basically any moped made past 1985.

"Some sort of aftermarket exhaust" - I'm going to guess BiTurbo. :)

If you like it, it's worth what you want to pay for it.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Hello five stars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OlDirtyBehrmann fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 24, 2010

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Nice looking five stars. I did mine in a satin black for universal compatibility but wish it was something a bit flashier.

WTF is going on with that kickstand?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

Hello five stars.

I always wondered why Puch never won a price for superior forks. Thanks, that picture helped me understand ;)

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 26, 2010

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Got mine running, finally. Air/fuel mixture had been set way too rich from the factory. I got it halfway down the block before the chain got bucked off the rear sprocket. I had already shortened the chain once. Hopefully removing another link will fix this because the chain tensioners that come with those kits are garbage. One company makes a spring-loaded tensioner that mounts to the seat post, but it's like $40. F that S.

oldkike
Jan 10, 2003

hey

www.pleasegimmeadollar.com
Really sweet 5 star in the previous post.

I've got a 84 Garelli Basic and an 80 Puch Newport II. Currently in the over-my-head process of rebuilding the ZA50 transmission. I'm hoping to eventually put a pipe and carb on the newport for easy high 30s low 40s..

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Nice looking five stars. I did mine in a satin black for universal compatibility but wish it was something a bit flashier.

WTF is going on with that kickstand?

It got cut up to clear a pipe a long time ago.

I always wondered why Puch never won a price for superior forks. Thanks, that picture helped me understand ;)

The MKII hydro forks are actually really nice.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

It got cut up to clear a pipe a long time ago.

Those are the standard Magnum XK/II forks though, yeah? The Hydros have the black wiggly covering up top.

I will say the suspension on my Magnum II blows away my Maxi.

ODB what kit are you running on that? Looks like a K-star or something? I want to think it's a Polini but I'm not sure. I just put a Estoril on my K-star because I was sick of the noise of my Circuit with a hole in it near the exhaust port. I think the overall powerband is superior, more torque at high speeds too, but I lost about 2mph on the top. I don't want to get the restrictor removed either, because that's what makes it such a great pipe down low. Once I move to a Polini setup I won't care anymore, anyway, because I'll be back over 50.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

You don't know what nice forks are then. ;-)

Tonight project I think is going to sealing the intake on my pug. it's coming that time of year where it's mopedding weather.

• Locked thread